PDA

View Full Version : Negativity

uwxm07
20-07-2019, 09:40 PM
First Post but I’ve been lurking on here since it started - best place for news and views on Hibs . Recently however this whole place has become poisonous with so much negativity it’s depressing to even open a thread. So I felt the need to chuck in my bit .
We are preparing for a new season- testing out the new players , getting to know each other,try new formations and getting fit ! When else can this be done since the close season was reduced to a couple of weeks ?
My mother used to say “ if you have nothing god to say - say nothing “ ! At this point in the season I would say that’s good advice. Give it a few weeks and let’s see how it settles down before we start wetting ourselves

pacorosssco
20-07-2019, 09:43 PM
Great post and we'll said

DarlingtonHibee
20-07-2019, 09:47 PM
First Post but I’ve been lurking on here since it started - best place for news and views on Hibs . Recently however this whole place has become poisonous with so much negativity it’s depressing to even open a thread. So I felt the need to chuck in my bit .
We are preparing for a new season- testing out the new players , getting to know each other,try new formations and getting fit ! When else can this be done since the close season was reduced to a couple of weeks ?
My mother used to say “ if you have nothing god to say - say nothing “ ! At this point in the season I would say that’s good advice. Give it a few weeks and let’s see how it settles down before we start wetting ourselves

If hibs had Messi and Ronaldo, plus money in the bank, posters will still be complaining.

Speedway
20-07-2019, 09:48 PM

Hibs.net is a discussion forum rather than a blind positivity forum.

It requires activity to remain viable.

Following your mum’s advice, are you advocating positive only threads to be permitted on the forum? (Genuine question)

DarlingtonHibee
20-07-2019, 09:53 PM

Following your mum’s advice, are you advocating positive only threads to be permitted on the forum? (Genuine question)

FfS

Speedway
20-07-2019, 09:55 PM
FfS

You don’t advocate free speech?

green with envy
20-07-2019, 09:56 PM

As one that's possibly the most negative poster on here, I'm not surprised with this post.

Speedway
20-07-2019, 09:58 PM
As one that's possibly the most negative poster on here, I'm not surprised with this post.

You don’t advocate free speech either then?

What do you think the forum’s thread topics should be?

brianmc
20-07-2019, 10:05 PM

I DO fully advocate free speech whether it's positive or negative in relation to the Club or this site.
So with that thought in mind: **** the gunts

#freespeech 😉

Wakeyhibee
20-07-2019, 10:06 PM

There's a lot of uncertainty with PH bringing in his players as a relatively young and new manager, the change of ownership etc...

It's early days like you say, no panic here........yet :greengrin

CMac1988
20-07-2019, 10:06 PM
This place is easily the best place to discuss all things Hibs but unfortunately most threads, especially match day threads, become a battle of words between the overly positive and optimistic vs the overly negative and pessimistic.

The match day thread today was a perfect example as it was defined with a game of polarising halves. The first half had many posters showing genuine concern with a few going a little overboard. The second showed promise with players being praised for helping turn things around and at full time out came the other element berating many of those who posted during the first half. Unfortunately those who showed concern then get lumped in with the extremely negative and those playing a game of told you so etc. then become the overly positive (read. Bed Wetters vs. Happy Clappers). As always their was some good discussion and opinions and the concern or lack of for that matter falls somewhere in between imo.

A good few posters need to get over themselves and allow others to have an opinion even if they don't agree with it. Supposed to be a discussion board, no matter if the mood and opinion is positive or negative. Also worth noting that many come on here to vent when things aren't going well and don't feel the need to do so when things are looking good. Forums like this are always somewhat skewed for that reason.

GGTTH. :flag:

Brooster
20-07-2019, 10:15 PM
Excellent opening post. I dont normally read the matchday threads but have followed the last 2 as I'm on holiday. The multiple posts by some during the game (which they are probably not at) are ridiculous. Experts on everything it seems but I have noticed that they seem to disappear when we take the lead.

green with envy
20-07-2019, 10:18 PM
You don’t advocate free speech either then?

What do you think the forum’s thread topics should be?

I think in your case, a small charge for speech. 😂

Jim44
20-07-2019, 10:22 PM

I’m with you here. To infer that criticism and a wee moan equates to ‘nothing to say’ is a bit ‘meh’ in my book. Constant praise and positivity can be just as boring, so a balance of different views and opinions keeps the forum healthy. I’m not defending some of the stirring and trolling that goes on but fgs let folk vent their feelings.

uwxm07
20-07-2019, 10:23 PM
I always follow my mums advice 😂😂😂😂😂( at least sometimes- it usually has some merit). Massive advocate and defender of free speech - even if I don’t agree with it .
However I try to either say or do something positive rather than depressing everyone with negative vibes . Like booing players - did that ever make them play better ?
Do you ever work better after your boss tells you your crap at you job ?
Most give up and go into a sulk - see Flo last under Lennon

LaMotta
20-07-2019, 10:28 PM

:agree:

Speedway
20-07-2019, 10:31 PM
I DO fully advocate free speech whether it's positive or negative in relation to the Club or this site.
So with that thought in mind: **** the gunts

#freespeech 😉

Seconded!

Allant1981
21-07-2019, 04:57 AM
There are certain fans just waiting on the manager to fail so they can get typing away on here to let everyone know. The manager said before these games started he would be changing the teams about,he has done that, it has given some younger players the chance to show what they can do in "real" games and it has given players not yet match fit a chance to get some game time, it's also a chance to try a couple of different formations, yes it's a risk as we can realistically only win the cups but we have drawn 1 game and won the other so it's a risk that has paid off, yes it's not been pretty but again its early doors, he has brought in 7 new players, it takes time. Fingers crossed it gets better

we are hibs
21-07-2019, 05:10 AM
So we are rotating the squad in these games. Then comes along the first game of the league season and we chuck together our "best" starting 11 who won't have kicked a ball together yet? What's the excuse then? "We need to give them time to gel"? Well these are the games we should be playing our strongest 11 available to us and they'll get to know each other's movements and what they can expect from each other in a competitive game. If you rotate and treat these LEAGUE CUP games as pre season games then you will get the similar flat performances you get from pre season games.

Allant1981
21-07-2019, 05:19 AM
So we are rotating the squad in these games. Then comes along the first game of the league season and we chuck together our "best" starting 11 who won't have kicked a ball together yet? What's the excuse then? "We need to give them time to gel"? Well these are the games we should be playing our strongest 11 available to us and they'll get to know each other's movements and what they can expect from each other in a competitive game. If you rotate and treat these LEAGUE CUP games as pre season games then you will get the similar flat performances you get from pre season games.

No one has a strongest 11 now, different players and different formations suit against different teams, you wouldnt play the same team against celtic that you would play against east fife for example, just my opinion though

Barman Stanton
21-07-2019, 05:27 AM
We just have some proper miserable b****** in our support who are not happy unless they are moaning. Just be thankful you are not like that op.

SquashedFrogg
21-07-2019, 06:20 AM

I'm sorry but none of this makes sense.

we are hibs
21-07-2019, 06:23 AM
I'm sorry but none of this makes sense.

Well it does but okay.

CLASS OF 72 -73
21-07-2019, 07:45 AM
I believe that the negativity (or realism comments in some cases) stems from the fact that with new players you find out fairly soon if there is 'a player in there' even if not fully up to speed or blended in and that can add quality to the side. When Kamberi, Mc Nulty and Omeonga were brought in they were not marque signings but they had a menace about them. The current new crop (We know what Allan can do) don't show that for me or no better that we have. Heckingbottom comes over as a bright coach with confidence so I will reserve judgement and support my team as we must.

Weir07
21-07-2019, 08:10 AM
I like Heckingbottom, he comes across well in the media and thought he did a fantastic job of getting us into the top 6 last season, took the negativity about the pre season games with a pinch of salt but the draw against Stirling Albion and what I witnessed yesterday has me a bit concerned, Arbroath have beaten us and Hearts pre season and won both League Cup games, crushing Albion 6-1, so their confidence will be sky high, can only see a really difficult game on Tuesday, if we fail to finish top or worse still, not qualify from our group, the knives will be out for Hecky. Yesterday was so pedestrian, hate to say it but shades of a Felon performance.

21-07-2019, 08:16 AM

Haha incredible. You must be a troll account.

Since452
21-07-2019, 08:18 AM
Including pre season and the Betfred games we've played 5, won 3, drawn 1 and lost 1 (first game). I'm not panicking yet as we've signed a lot of players. Early season can be a bit of a leveller. Look at Kilmarnock and St Mirren. We'll win on Tuesday and we'll win on Friday.

CockneyRebel
21-07-2019, 08:30 AM

IMO until they have all had some game time the best 11 are only the best 11 on paper. Rotation gives them all game time and by the time of the first league game the actual best 11 becomes clearer. I realise the risk involved in rotating during cup competition but I don't see (given the ridiculously short time between end of season and the start of this LC format) a better way of assessing the blend of players/formations/tactics needed to prepare for the whole league season and cup games.

CockneyRebel
21-07-2019, 08:31 AM
I like Heckingbottom, he comes across well in the media and thought he did a fantastic job of getting us into the top 6 last season, took the negativity about the pre season games with a pinch of salt but the draw against Stirling Albion and what I witnessed yesterday has me a bit concerned, Arbroath have beaten us and Hearts pre season and won both League Cup games, crushing Albion 6-1, so their confidence will be sky high, can only see a really difficult game on Tuesday, if we fail to finish top or worse still, not qualify from our group, the knives will be out for Hecky. Yesterday was so pedestrian, hate to say it but shades of a Felon performance.

They were poor but not criminally so.

The Leith Dutch
21-07-2019, 08:36 AM

There's room for both negative and positive opinion on here.
The more irritating thing for me is when it's presented without any reasoning (cue someone ripping into me for this not being a debating society).

There's far too much of "He's gash" or telling someone they're talking *****e without saying why.

Classic case in point is on the SPL 11 thread where someone's taken the time to respond with the marvelously constructive comment to the OPs posted team of "You're at it".
Why is he at it? What do you think is a better team? etc.... : that's what a discussion forum is about rather than thinly veiled accusations of Jambo / Trolling / Never having played football

My_Wife_Camille
21-07-2019, 11:36 AM

:top marks

theonlywayisup
21-07-2019, 11:47 AM

There's only so much negativity one can handle on life.

You see the people at work, who constantly moan about everything. They quickly get shunned. Why would you want to listen to such negativity?

On this forum, it's the same people who seem to launch the negative comments. It actually becomes unbearable to read as many threads go downhill quickly.

I, actually agree with much about what you say about Hecky's signings, but I would rather see how the next couple of weeks take shape. To resort to calling him Millerbottom is out of order.

Despite my reservations, I'll back him 100%, just as I did Lennon before that.