PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Alloa Athletic 20 07 19)

Jonnyboy
20-07-2019, 06:38 PM
Any win is a good win but it’s always better if you can enjoy the play that created that win. Today I felt that there was not much in the way of enjoyment as a lethargic looking Hibs side put Alloa Athletic to the sword in front of around 5,000 fans at an eerily quiet Easter Road.

The visitors offered little in terms of creating opportunities and Ofir will struggle to have quieter games than today but much as Hibs enjoyed the bulk of possession, they never really got into first gear. Yes, Alloa defended deep and in numbers but until the final twenty minutes Hibs struggled to break them down. There were chances and half chances to score but the vast majority were squandered or fizzled out due to indecisiveness on the part of the attackers.

Somewhat surprisingly, to me at least, team changes included leaving Scott Allan on the bench! Excluded completely were Joe Newell and Sean Mackie whilst Josh Campbell retained his place in midfield and young Josh Doig found a place on the bench alongside fellow youngster Ben Stirling. It looked as though Hecky was still trying to rotate his squad and test those who took part with the task of proving to him they deserve to be involved. I’m in the group that feels we should not play anything other than our strongest team in a competition which is only one of two we could realistically look to win but Hecky’s the Boss and so we have to trust him to do what he feels is best.

Hibs started well enough with the ever popular Martin Boyle leaving his marker for dead with a typical dash down the right but his delivery into the box was cleared. Another Boyle run and cross gave Doidge the chance to get an effort on goal but Parry in the Alloa goal saved well. It was interesting to see that we went with two up front as many have stated their belief that Hecky would not play that formation but, having said that, I felt that when we had the ball in wide areas it seemed as though only one of the two, Kamberi or Doidge found themselves in the box.

Our play was often slow and lacking in penetration and given we hadn’t troubled Alloa too much they made a couple of forward forays of their own. One had Rocky making his only notable save of the game and the other flew wide of the goal. The home fans were getting a little restless and there were even a few boos at the sound of the half time whistle.

The second half started with Allan and Fraser Murray on for Campbell and Kamberi which resulted in a change of approach with Boyle drifting more central in the hope of linking up with Doidge. Scotty very nearly broke the deadlock when his low drive struck a defender and almost caught the keeper out but Parry recovered well to shove the ball round the post. Soon after, Doidge went down in the box under a challenge from ex-Hibee Scott Taggart but despite loud claims, referee Kevin Clancy was not for awarding a penalty.

Hibs had upped their game a bit and Parry was almost solely responsible for keeping his side level in making a string of saves, the best of which saw him claw the ball away as it headed for the top corner of his net. I felt the visitors were beginning to tire and that was best shown in the way the opening goal came about. A fabulous through ball from Fraser Murray saw Alloa’s Graham racing back to the edge of his box with Doidge in hot pursuit. Both Graham and Parry hesitated allowing Doidge to nip in and poke the ball home. In doing so he came into contact with Parry who had to leave the field with a face knock that looked to be bleeding quite heavily.

Hibs settled a bit now and Doidge was denied by the substitute keeper before Murray took his time and placed a high shot beyond the keeper only for a defender to head it clear before it crossed the line. Alloa were pretty much camped inside their own box now and the ball was pinging in and out at a rate of knots until it reached Tom James near the angle of the 18 yard box. The Welshman took a touch to control the ball before firing a fine effort into the far top corner to make it 2-0.

Right at the death, Whitty took advantage of a defender missing the ball in the box but as he transferred the ball to his left foot he blasted it high and over the bar. A little more composure would have meant a goal as the keeper went down early.

Next up is a game at home to Arbroath on Tuesday evening and given they’ve won both of their games to date, scoring eight goals in the process, it will surely be a harder task for Hibs and I for one cannot wait to see what shape our starting eleven will adopt – whoever they might be.

The players

Rocky – Only one save of note and no real problem with crosses but a couple of pretty poor clearances from foot.

Whitty – Never really put under great pressure and most certainly did not deserve the booing by a few brain dead Neanderthals every time he was on the ball following his late miss.

Daz – Never troubled at any time and I’m pretty sure he didn’t lose a single headed challenge.

Paul – Like Daz, largely untroubled.

Tom – I was critical of him last time out but thought he was much better today and his goal was a peach.

Boyler – Great to see him back and running at full tilt. Looked a bit rusty but today’s minutes will put him in good stead.

Josh – Only got the first half and though he made a couple of errors I felt the good definitely outweighed the bad.

Stevie – Never really found the killer pass today and his late free kick attempt on goal was pretty horrendous if truth be told.

Daryl – Worked his socks off as usual but some of his crossing was poor. Mind you, he didn’t always have someone to aim at!

Flo – Worked hard enough but was posted missing when the ball was delivered into the Alloa box.

Doidge – A quiet first half but better in the second. He works really hard and took his goal well whilst being unlucky to see a second disallowed due to offside.

Fraser – I like the laddie and thought he played well enough. His ball over the top for the opening goal was hit at just the right strength.

Scotty – I wish he’d been on from the start if I’m honest. In the 45 minutes he got he was probably the only one who displayed the much talked of high press and athleticism.

Oli – Only got the last five minutes so it’s hard to highlight anything of any note.

My man of the match – On a day when nobody really stood out I’m awarding it to Christian Doidge for his goal and his energy.

Hecky – Haven’t heard anything of what he thought so can’t comment.

The fans – It was like a morgue at ER today

Kevin Clancy – He was, well Kevin Clancy. Need I say more?

Billy Whizz
20-07-2019, 07:06 PM
Pretty much agree with all of this JB, was a similar 1st half to last weeks game at Stirling
I just felt in the 1st half today if we’d got an early goal, the confidence would have flowed, we looked short of it at times today. Just can’t accept boos at half time, fans should be ashamed of themselves

Actually enjoyed the last half hour, and with a bit of luck, we could have scored 4/5, how many last ditch clearances did the Alloa defence have?
Had a quick look at BBC match stats, and we had 17 shots today. Think Alloa struggled to trouble Hibs, remember they are a championship side, although I think they will struggle this season

Boyle gave us 80 mins or so, think he’s got a bit to go though on fitness after being out so long. Back 4 untroubled really, James looked better today, and Whittaker had a good game too. Just wished he’d stuck that one away at the end

Shape looked much better 2nd half after the subs were made, and we could easily have scored 5/6 with a bit of luck
Murray made a good impact too, although the knock he took, hindered him a bit
Don’t think Doidge is 100% fit yet, or up to the pace of the Scottish game. The disallowed goal he scored, is the type I think we’ll get from him this season

Think Hecky would have learned a lot from this today, if he didn’t really know it

weecounty hibby
20-07-2019, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the updates. Sitting on the beach in the Algarve and the match day thread was a nightmare read. Hopefully by the time I'm home the team will be settled and getting their act together.

rotherhamrob
20-07-2019, 07:20 PM
Cheers for that.
It's always good to get a well balanced point of view.

Hibernian32
20-07-2019, 07:26 PM
I think doidge looked really good in the 2nd half.

Goal, possible pen, the offside call, header at the back post & one cleared of the line on another day he would have a hatrick. I know it's only alloa and he only scored one goal but we kinda saw the type of goals we will get from him.

20-07-2019, 07:58 PM
Thanks JB. I attended last week’s game but not todays.
Sounds as if the second half today was a significant improvement on last week so some sign of the team progressing.
I hope today sees the end of the 442 formation. We don’t have the players to play it and I don’t really understand why the manager didn’t already know that.

CockneyRebel
20-07-2019, 08:08 PM
Have to put in a word regarding the Alloa number 8 in midfield, hardly put a foot wrong the whole game and pulled all the strings for them. One to keep an eye on methinks.

jeffers
20-07-2019, 08:15 PM
Goal aside I wasn’t impressed with James at all. He reminded me of the few games Lewis played at right back, didn’t look comfortable and needed the ball on his stronger foot. Tbh I don’t understand why he wasn’t at right back and Whittikar at left.

CMurdoch
20-07-2019, 08:51 PM
Have to put in a word regarding the Alloa number 8 in midfield, hardly put a foot wrong the whole game and pulled all the strings for them. One to keep an eye on methinks.

How can i tell you this gloryhunter, No.8 was Iain Flannigan ..........................aged 31 :wink:

Jonnyboy
20-07-2019, 09:10 PM

Yep, he caught the eye as did Andy Graham the No. 5 :agree:

SideBurns
20-07-2019, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the report JB. While I would agree with it in a general sense, I have to say you found more positivity than I could. The first two league cup ties have left me very concerned about the season ahead. Just hoping Jela and Allan strike a partnership in midfield.

Jonnyboy
20-07-2019, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the report JB. While I would agree with it in a general sense, I have to say you found more positivity than I could. The first two league cup ties have left me very concerned about the season ahead. Just hoping Jela and Allan strike a partnership in midfield.

My half full glass strikes again, Stevie :greengrin

CMurdoch
20-07-2019, 09:52 PM
Today was my first game of the season and it was a frustrating watch.

Best performance was from Fraser Murray before he took a dull one.
He is progressive which is the vital factor his fellow midfielders lacked.
He is very much ready to be a vital player at Hibs if he is given an extended run.

Boyler was well off it today after the first 10 minutes. On todays evidence it will be some time before he is the same player he was before the injury.

Doidge was brave for his goal. Either him or the goalkeeper were going to get hurt and unfortunately for the keeper it was him.
This guy is not spectacular but keeps his head when chances present themselves.
I can see him drip dripping the goals all season.

BILLYHIBS
20-07-2019, 11:18 PM
Brilliant read once again Jonnyboy

I am from the same school as you

How would Eddie Turnbull approach a League Cup section game?

Play your strongest team and blow the opposition out of the water

Hecky has loads of time through the week to work with his players on fitness and formations

He must be getting closer to his preferred formation

We have two tough games coming up and there is little margin for error an interesting week lies ahead

Iggy Pope
21-07-2019, 06:32 PM
Clancy I think had a bit to play in Frasers knock. It would have been easy to give the first foul and avoid the collision (where I thought the fellah was trying to hurt him if I’m honest).

That one above though ^^^^
Jeez, I seen plenty of Eddie Turnbull Hibs sides fail drastically in the LC against so called lesser opposition rather than blow them out the water!!!

smithy_hibees
21-07-2019, 06:57 PM
Mallan 2nd half was frustrating for me, doesn't demand the ball enough to play in the role Hecky played him in, not the first time he's been asked play there and for me it just doesn't work. Hopefully Vela can fill in there as unsure Campbell is ready play 25/30 games this season

Unseen work
21-07-2019, 06:59 PM
Mallan 2nd half was frustrating for me, doesn't demand the ball enough to play in the role Hecky played him in, not the first time he's been asked play there and for me it just doesn't work. Hopefully Vela can fill in there as unsure Campbell is ready play 25/30 games this season

Vela wont be going deep and receiving the ball, I think he will play ahead of Mallan so he can close folk down and win the ball back.

......Mallan.....
Vela.......Allan

is what im expecting. A lot of comments made about him pressing and getting on the front foot.

smithy_hibees
21-07-2019, 07:08 PM
Vela wont be going deep and receiving the ball, I think he will play ahead of Mallan so he can close folk down and win the ball back.

......Mallan.....
Vela.......Allan

is what im expecting. A lot of comments made about him pressing and getting on the front foot.

Unsure personally Mallan is up for that kinda role guessing time will tell, btw happily be proven wrong

BILLYHIBS
21-07-2019, 07:11 PM
Clancy I think had a bit to play in Frasers knock. It would have been easy to give the first foul and avoid the collision (where I thought the fellah was trying to hurt him if I’m honest).

That one above though ^^^^
Jeez, I seen plenty of Eddie Turnbull Hibs sides fail drastically in the LC against so called lesser opposition rather than blow them out the water!!!

Ha Ha!

Surprised no one pulled me up on that one

ETs record in the early days in the LC was quite good

I remember going through to Brockville for a LCQF where George Millers speculative effort came down wi snaw on it to knock us out

ET got us to 3 x QF 1x SF 2 x F with one win 1972/73

Towards the end of his tenure knocked out of a section including the Hun and knocked out by Killie and Montrose

Montrose being a bogey team at that time

I pray to god your holiness that we are not adding Arbroath or Elgin City to that list this time next week :greengrin

Iggy Pope
21-07-2019, 07:13 PM
Ha Ha!

Surprised no one pulled me up on that one

ETs record in the early days in the LC was quite good

I remember going through to Brockville for a LCQF where George Millers speculative effort came down wi snaw on it to knock us out

ET got us to 3 x QF 1x SF 2 x F with one win 1972/73

Towards the end of his tenure knocked out of a section including the Hun and knocked out by Killie and Montrose

Montrose being a bogey team at that time

I pray to god your holiness that we are not adding Arbroath or Elgin City this time next week :greengrin

And QOS.

BILLYHIBS
21-07-2019, 07:27 PM
And QOS.

Yes but no but......you do not understand that was in 1977/78 when the League Cup was just for honing our fitness and trying out different formations our real game plan was to get knocked out of the League Cup accidentally on purpose by QOS and go for UK domination in the Anglo Scottish Cup eventually getting knocked out by the hackers and hammer throwers and eventual winners known as Bristol City in the semi final stage :greengrin

Iggy Pope
21-07-2019, 07:39 PM
Yes but no but......you do not understand that was in 1977/78 when the League Cup was just for honing our fitness and trying out different formations our real game plan was to get knocked out of the League Cup accidentally on purpose by QOS and go for UK domination in the Anglo Scottish Cup eventually getting knocked out by the hackers and hammer throwers and eventual winners known as Bristol City in the semi final stage :greengrin

Another pitiful bloody cup exit, but right you are Billy, right you are.

Unseen work
21-07-2019, 08:35 PM
My observations from the game.

First half

Completely dominated the opening 30 minutes, pressed well as a team and should have been a good couple of goals in front with chances for Doidge and Horgan. We got into a lot good positions however Alloa defended the crosses well, imo we were over doing the crosses into the box and it suited them. It was almost as if we thought we have big guys in there let’s just swing it in.

Last 15 minutes of it god knows what happened, our passing and touch turned so slack and you could see the nerves setting in when they could hear the fans groaning, half time came at a good time to get a talking to.

Second half

Dominated the whole half and the introduction of Allan and Murray made a difference with being able to take a bit more chance on the ball and added a creative spark. Doidge and James took their goals very well and again missed very good chances with Murray, Whittikar and Doidge was unlucky not to get another.

Overall

We dominated the match as a whole and it was comfortable if not amazing viewing. We created numerous very good chances and limited them to next to nothing.

Players got more minutes under their belt and the manager got to experiment 2 new formations and I think is getting close to picking his proper team.

Unlike what some others have said, I can definetley see press Heckingbottom is implementing. It’s not the first man, it’s the shutting down of opposition players who are able to receive the ball and then press the slack touch/pass on the second and 3rd players involved. It allowed us to win possession a lot on Saturday, especially high up the pitch in good positions.

I appreciate I seem to be in the minority, but I think we have the makings of a good squad here. We will bring in new faces (despite what Heckingbottom said) and strengthen it, added with Slivka and Stevenson to return from injury.

People forget real life football isn’t like a computer game, we have had 11 players leave and 7 come in, it takes a while for players to get and it all to start clicking.

With only our second ‘competitive’ game played, the tempo is still off and most teams playing in this competition will be the same, it will kick on.

Trust the process

Players:

Doidge - I like him, he battles and works really hard but also holds the ball up and gets on the end of a lot of headers. I think he will do well and score plenty. A lot better than James Collins like McManus suggested.

Whittikar - Gets a tough time but I thought he played well, his composure gets himself out of tricky situations and defender well. Some of his delivery was shocking right enough.

James - Again I like the look of him, very calm on the ball which I think some folk take as not interested. He rarely wastes the ball and Iv not seen a winger trouble him in the slightest yet? Bare in mind he has also played out of position. He will get a good few goals and assists

Allan - Looks very strong and athletic, he was pressing very fast and aggressively and won the ball back in very good positions. Couple of good moments of play and will continue to improve with games.

Murray - Rate him highly, really like how he can take the ball on the turn with ease and also has the vision and absolute to open up defences. Big season for him and fills a competitive space in our squad

Horgan and Boyle - Troubled the defence but just lacked that killer pass, cross or finish. Those 2 fit and playing together on each wing really excites me.

Glory glory.

BILLYHIBS
21-07-2019, 09:35 PM

First half

Completely dominated the opening 30 minutes, pressed well as a team and should have been a good couple of goals in front with chances for Doidge and Horgan. We got into a lot good positions however Alloa defended the crosses well, imo we were over doing the crosses into the box and it suited them. It was almost as if we thought we have big guys in there let’s just swing it in.

Last 15 minutes of it god knows what happened, our passing and touch turned so slack and you could see the nerves setting in when they could hear the fans groaning, half time came at a good time to get a talking to.

Second half

Dominated the whole half and the introduction of Allan and Murray made a difference with being able to take a bit more chance on the ball and added a creative spark. Doidge and James took their goals very well and again missed very good chances with Murray, Whittikar and Doidge was unlucky not to get another.

Overall

We dominated the match as a whole and it was comfortable if not amazing viewing. We created numerous very good chances and limited them to next to nothing.

Players got more minutes under their belt and the manager got to experiment 2 new formations and I think is getting close to picking his proper team.

Unlike what some others have said, I can definetley see press Heckingbottom is implementing. It’s not the first man, it’s the shutting down of opposition players who are able to receive the ball and then press the slack touch/pass on the second and 3rd players involved. It allowed us to win possession a lot on Saturday, especially high up the pitch in good positions.

I appreciate I seem to be in the minority, but I think we have the makings of a good squad here. We will bring in new faces (despite what Heckingbottom said) and strengthen it, added with Slivka and Stevenson to return from injury.

People forget real life football isn’t like a computer game, we have had 11 players leave and 7 come in, it takes a while for players to get and it all to start clicking.

With only our second ‘competitive’ game played, the tempo is still off and most teams playing in this competition will be the same, it will kick on.

Trust the process

Players:

Doidge - I like him, he battles and works really hard but also holds the ball up and gets on the end of a lot of headers. I think he will do well and score plenty. A lot better than James Collins like McManus suggested.

Whittikar - Gets a tough time but I thought he played well, his composure gets himself out of tricky situations and defender well. Some of his delivery was shocking right enough.

James - Again I like the look of him, very calm on the ball which I think some folk take as not interested. He rarely wastes the ball and Iv not seen a winger trouble him in the slightest yet? Bare in mind he has also played out of position. He will get a good few goals and assists

Allan - Looks very strong and athletic, he was pressing very fast and aggressively and won the ball back in very good positions. Couple of good moments of play and will continue to improve with games.

Murray - Rate him highly, really like how he can take the ball on the turn with ease and also has the vision and absolute to open up defences. Big season for him and fills a competitive space in our squad

Horgan and Boyle - Troubled the defence but just lacked that killer pass, cross or finish. Those 2 fit and playing together on each wing really excites me.

Glory glory.

:agree:

Hear what you are saying

Probably expecting too much for a high press for ninety minutes in only the second competitive fixture of the season

The system needs the right personnel and they need to be super fit and well versed in their roles within the system

Safe to say that maybe all the personnel that Hecky wants for his system are not even at the club although he would have us believe that they are

I hope he gets the time to play his system

Football fans are not the most patient

Lewiehas2
22-07-2019, 12:24 AM

First half

Second half

Overall

Trust the process

Players:

Glory glory.

Thanks for this. Not at the game as on holiday but good to hear a more balanced report, others seem to be following their own script/agenda. Looking forward to seeing the team on Tuesday night!

Since452
22-07-2019, 07:03 AM
Just watched the highlights on Alloa's YouTube channel. Looked like wave after wave of Hibs pressure.

Greenbeard
22-07-2019, 08:48 AM
Goal aside I wasn’t impressed with James at all. He reminded me of the few games Lewis played at right back, didn’t look comfortable and needed the ball on his stronger foot. Tbh I don’t understand why he wasn’t at right back and Whittikar at left.
Granted this is a view based only on the match highlights, so not much merit, but James looked to me like he was playing walking football and displayed a disinterested demeanour. Overall was there more movement and energy? Hope so.
Presume we will get a better idea tom night of Heck's first choice selections and set-up. Can't take any chances.

worcesterhibby
22-07-2019, 09:07 AM
Thanks...it's very hard to get the feel for a game from the Hibs TV highlights, so your were balanced reports are a really interesting read. I'm hoping Vela get's a run out soon.

Mango Man
22-07-2019, 09:38 AM
Having watched the whole game on Hibs TV, I thought Whittaker had a really good game, seemed to be involved a lot, some great passing, some shots on goal, a good few tackles.

I though Mallan was getting stuck in quite a bit as well, seems to be developing the physical side of his game a bit, stole the ball from them a few times and has a great range of passing.

I think big Daz has to be in the team when possible, I think he is the most reliable defender we have, always feels safer when he is about.

Love wee Horgan as well, gonna be a big player for us this season.