PDA

View Full Version : Boo boys are not helping the team

147lothian
20-07-2019, 04:55 PM
I was disappointed with the booing the Steven Whittaker got twice when he touched the ball towards the end of the game, from some IMO morons in the East terrace, no player who wears the jersey should ever be booed it doesn't help the player or the team, these people should find something else to do on a Saturday.

The 90+2
20-07-2019, 04:57 PM
Anyone that singles out individuals in a Hibernian jersey to boo is a ****** ramjet.

Ray_
20-07-2019, 04:57 PM
I was disappointed with the booing the Steven Whittaker got twice when he touched the ball towards the end of the game, from some IMO morons in the East terrace, no player who wears the jersey should ever be booed it doesn't help the player or the team, these people should find something else to do on a Saturday.

Too true, the word support is clearly beyond them.

HibeesLittleHel
20-07-2019, 04:58 PM

Totally agree support the team on the park

B.H.F.C
20-07-2019, 04:58 PM
That was ridiculous. Imagine booing your own player at 2-0 up. Thought the reaction of the rest of the crowd was good.

Should also add, Whittaker is a Hibs legend having won a cup and made us a lot of money. Criticising him is fine, but that was out of order today.

Wheat Hound
20-07-2019, 05:01 PM
That was ridiculous. Imagine booing your own player at 2-0 up. Thought the reaction of the rest of the crowd was good.

I agree and was heartened by the subsequent support he got from a more sizable number.

BILLYHIBS
20-07-2019, 05:03 PM
He was a bit taken aback I think he even turned around to give the culprits a glare

No need!

Shrekko
20-07-2019, 05:04 PM
Absolute ****

stoneyburn hibs
20-07-2019, 05:05 PM

Probably the weapons that sit a few rows behind us. I told them to shut it regarding Whittaker last season.

It's so negative and I have no doubt that he himself will hear this during the game.

147lothian
20-07-2019, 05:05 PM
Too true, the word support is clearly beyond them.

Indeed Ray, the concept of supporting the team is clearly lost with these morons, can also give a well done everyone who applauded Whittaker in response to the booing.

Borderhibbie76
20-07-2019, 05:06 PM
I was disappointed with the booing the Steven Whittaker got twice when he touched the ball towards the end of the game, from some IMO morons in the East terrace, no player who wears the jersey should ever be booed it doesn't help the player or the team, these people should find something else to do on a Saturday.It wasnt booing it was tongue in cheek "shoot" every time he had ball after his sitter

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SChibs
20-07-2019, 05:07 PM
People booing the team should be embarrassed. These guys play football for a living so they know if they are playing well or having a bad day. If they aren't playing well they aren't doing it on purpose so people should try getting behind them and giving them some support.

As supporters we are there to drive the team on not get on their backs and make them feel crap. Especially when most likely they are trying their best and being told to do certain things and play a certain way.

Hibi
20-07-2019, 05:08 PM

Yep, terrible to single out a player in a Hibs jersey. Abuse the opposition but shouldn’t be doing that. Didn’t think Whittaker was great today but not a whole lot worse than quite a few others. And regardless he’s wearing a Hibs top so I’ll support him.

Steve20
It wasnt booing it was tongue in cheek "shoot" every time he had ball after his sitter

Don’t explain this to people. Especially when people on forums can blame the fans who pay money to watch that, for the teams awful performance.

Unseen work
The booing at half time was also out of order.

I understand that these are technically competitive games, but let’s be serious they’re still friendlies and it’s very early on in the season.

Players are getting their fitness levels up
Players are getting their sharpness up
We’re experimenting with personel/tactics

Everyone needs to relax, how can folk expect players to play well and enjoy it when they’re getting boo’d in the second competitive cup game

Carheenlea
20-07-2019, 05:09 PM
A fans in general were starting to vent their frustrations at the team as a whole late in second half and it was perfectly understandable, as was the chorus of jeers as the half time whistle blew, but singling out individual players is never acceptable.

Borderhibbie76
20-07-2019, 05:12 PM
Don’t explain this to people. Especially when people on forums can blame the fans who pay money to watch that, for the teams awful performance.Exactly mate I was there in East and it was 100% NOT Booing...most on here saying it was probably weren't there today

judas
20-07-2019, 05:13 PM
I wasn’t there today. Couple of my mates said Hibs booed off at half time and Whitty also booed.

Out of order and counterproductive In my view.

B.H.F.C
20-07-2019, 05:14 PM
Exactly mate I was there in East and it was 100% NOT Booing...most on here saying it was probably weren't there today

I was in the east and it 100% was. Seems pretty much everyone else thought so as well.

Borderhibbie76
20-07-2019, 05:16 PM

I understand that these are technically competitive games, but let’s be serious they’re still friendlies and it’s very early on in the season.

Everyone needs to relax, how can folk expect players to play well and enjoy it when they’re getting boo’d in the second competitive cup gameFans are entitled to boo the team off after a shocking 45 mins like that...personally it's not for me but that just isn't acceptable...early season or not.

Borderhibbie76
20-07-2019, 05:17 PM
I was in the east and it 100% was. Seems pretty much everyone else thought so as well.Not from where I was sitting...it was people shouting shoot...but that doesnt fit some peoples agenda. Let's criticise the 5400 who bothered to go today instead

BILLYHIBS

Everyone needs to relax, how can folk expect players to play well and enjoy it when they’re getting boo’d in the second competitive cup game
They are not friendlies

This is one of only two competitions we have a realistic chance of winning this season and it looked like we were going out at half time

Tuesday nights game versus Arbroath won’t be a “friendly” either

CRAZYHIBBY
Im guilty of a rant or two on here but i cant stand those ********s that boo our players at games....we had a spell of that through the calderwood and fenlon reigns and it did nothing but shatter thier confidence.....

147lothian
20-07-2019, 05:20 PM
It wasnt booing it was tongue in cheek "shoot" every time he had ball after his sitter

If that's your opinion then it seems like you didn't hear, and your either making excuses or second guessing I heard it and the response from descent supporters clearly was booing. they were responding to and it happened twice.

Albanian Hibs
20-07-2019, 05:21 PM
The booing at half time as well. That always gets on my nerves. Just stay silent, who actually goes to a match and boos 🤣

hibbysam
20-07-2019, 05:22 PM
Exactly mate I was there in East and it was 100% NOT Booing...most on here saying it was probably weren't there today

I can assure you a group of 6 boys who moved into section 44 at half time the row behind me were booing and telling everyone how ***** he was.

Jones28
20-07-2019, 05:23 PM
Pathetic stuff

Unseen work
They are not friendlies

This is one of only two competitions we have a realistic chance of winning this season and it looked like we were going out at half time

To fans they are, to management and players for most teams these will be used as a chance to try ideas and get players up to speed.

The 90+2
The booing at half time as well. That always gets on my nerves. Just stay silent, who actually goes to a match and boos 🤣

The support has every right to voice their displeasure at the first half performance following on from last weekends embarrassment surely? Collectively rubbish.

Since452
Boils my blood folk booing a Hibs player. Especially Steven Whittaker, a product of the youth system who's lifted a trophy and made the club millions. Really uncalled for. Didn't even play badly.

The 90+2
20-07-2019, 05:24 PM
To fans they are, to management and players for most teams these will be used as a chance to try ideas and get players up to speed.

Hecky has been quoted saying they aren’t friendlies and aren’t being treated as such.

LaMotta
20-07-2019, 05:27 PM
The Whittaker derision is just weird, similar individuals that dished it out to Tortolano and Brian Hamilton.

Unhappy angry weirdos.

Unseen work
20-07-2019, 05:27 PM
Fans are entitled to boo the team off after a shocking 45 mins like that...personally it's not for me but that just isn't acceptable...early season or not.

Fans are entitled to do that ever they want, but I think some need to remember they’re there to support the team.

Some of the comments so far this season have been ridiculous. We’ve had a huge overhaul this summer with 11 leaving and 7 coming in so far, there will be a period where we don’t know our best line up or tactics, hence why we’re trying our different teams and personel within it to see how they link up.

It seems like some hope the players or management fail.

Unseen work
20-07-2019, 05:28 PM
Hecky has been quoted saying they aren’t friendlies and aren’t being treated as such.

Hes not going to come out and say otherwise is he.

If he was taking them serious he wouldn’t have made Flo and Boyle so firneas last Friday instead, had Allan on the bench today and not even have Newell in the squad.

Hes rotating everyone so he knows his best team

Fife-Hibee
20-07-2019, 05:30 PM
Fans will cheer, fans will boo and we'll have threads like this again next season and the season after and the season after and....

The 90+2
20-07-2019, 05:31 PM
Hes not going to come out and say otherwise is he.

If he was taking them serious he wouldn’t have made Flo and Boyle so firneas last Friday instead, had Allan on the bench today and not even have Newell in the squad.

Hes rotating everyone so he knows his best team

Not really. His comments after Carslile was he hated friendlies and was delighted they had finished until the Newcastle game and it was down to serious business against Stirling. I agree experimentation will take place because of the calibre of sides we are playing as it may in any cup competition but it’s still as competitive as the first match of the league season, blow the group stage and we’re put a cup already. Stirling have went on to be pumped off Arbroath and Elgin also which doesn’t bode well.

DTS
20-07-2019, 05:32 PM
Sitting in the east today was a shambles, people going nuts at every single little thing. I can’t remember this much anxiety in bloody July and tbh it’s not even justified. We were poor in the first half it was a tough watch but to boo the team off at half time in a glorified friendly is nuts! Don’t think it was booing of Whittaker more ironic “shoot” shouts which tbh just as bad your taking the kids out of your own player.

Sir David Gray
20-07-2019, 05:34 PM

If you're going to be serious, calling League Cup games "friendlies" isn't the way to go about it.

We were playing (another) part time team today, a team that is also early into their season. After last week's shambles, are you really surprised that people booed after a very poor first half performance?

We deserved the win in the end but that first half was a real cause for concern and drawing 0-0 at home with Alloa is always going to cause frustration amongst some fans.

B.H.F.C
20-07-2019, 05:36 PM
Not from where I was sitting...it was people shouting shoot...but that doesnt fit some peoples agenda. Let's criticise the 5400 who bothered to go today instead

That’s the second time I’ve had the agenda comment directed at me today. Nonsense.

And why would we criticise the 5,400 who went?

B.H.F.C
20-07-2019, 05:37 PM
Sitting in the east today was a shambles, people going nuts at every single little thing. I can’t remember this much anxiety in bloody July and tbh it’s not even justified. We were poor in the first half it was a tough watch but to boo the team off at half time in a glorified friendly is nuts! Don’t think it was booing of Whittaker more ironic “shoot” shouts which tbh just as bad your taking the kids out of your own player.

It’s no a glorified friendly. Comments like that are as nuts as people going nuts.

stoneyburn hibs
20-07-2019, 05:39 PM
Fans will cheer, fans will boo and we'll have threads like this again next season and the season after and the season after and....

So what are you alluding too ? 😁

DTS
20-07-2019, 05:43 PM
It’s no a glorified friendly. Comments like that are as nuts as people going nuts.

I’m sorry but it is a glorified friendly, the competition starts mid July in the middle of pre season for every club in the country, it’s poorly attended and every manager rotates their squads, the pace both teams play at is no greater than a friendly and the only difference is less subs.

I am fully aware it’s a competitive game due to it being in the cup but that’s where it starts and finishes, heckingbottom has said he’s glad we have competitive games but is also still rotating massively and stressing it’s important to give everyone minutes to be ready for St Mirren

Sir David Gray
20-07-2019, 05:46 PM
I’m sorry but it is a glorified friendly, the competition starts mid July in the middle of pre season for every club in the country, it’s poorly attended and every manager rotates their squads, the pace both teams play at is no greater than a friendly and the only difference is less subs.

I am fully aware it’s a competitive game due to it being in the cup but that’s where it starts and finishes, heckingbottom has said he’s glad we have competitive games but is also still rotating massively and stressing it’s important to give everyone minutes to be ready for St Mirren

I'm not sure I'll take much comfort from it being a glorified friendly if we end up going out in the group stages.

B.H.F.C
20-07-2019, 05:49 PM

Glorified friendlies don’t give you the opportunity to win a major trophy.

DTS
20-07-2019, 05:53 PM
I'm not sure I'll take much comfort from it being a glorified friendly if we end up going out in the group stages.

Just as well we won today then eh😂 honestly we’ll more than likely win the next two and win the group comfortably

Franck Stanton
20-07-2019, 05:53 PM
Glorified friendly ? Naw it isnay, it is the league cup ffs.
Just a wee reminder it is one of the two competitions we have any realistic hope of winning, (won't win the league anytime soon now will we).
Last week v S/Albion we were poor, very poor. Today was only marginally better, just not acceptable.

DTS
20-07-2019, 05:56 PM
Glorified friendlies don’t give you the opportunity to win a major trophy.

Really? Thanks for the update re no trophies in friendlies. The games need to be taken seriously yes and it’s not like we’ve lost but people expecting any sort of scintillating performances are deluded, it’s mid july.

Only 2 of the 7/8 premiership teams in the comp have 100% records which speaks volumes

B.H.F.C
20-07-2019, 05:58 PM
Really? Thanks for the update re no trophies in friendlies. The games need to be taken seriously yes and it’s not like we’ve lost but people expecting any sort of scintillating performances are deluded, it’s mid july.

Only 2 of the 7/8 premiership teams in the comp have 100% records which speaks volumes

It’s not unreasonable to expect better against the standard of opposition we’ve faced. Hope you enjoy going to a glorified friendly at Hampden in a few months. Wait, it’ll no be a glorified friendly then - just when it suits you.

Bishop Hibee
20-07-2019, 05:59 PM

Me when the players and/or manager deserve it. I didn’t boo at half time today but have no problem with anyone who did. We were rank in the first half. Booing Whittaker, if it happened, was daft though. The whole team played much better second half.

Since90+2
20-07-2019, 06:00 PM

Our main rivals for where Hibs want to be are Aberdeen and to a lesser extent Rangers, both those sides would have hammered Allow and Stirling Albion.

Today was absolutely brutal, we were *****.

Scouse Hibee
20-07-2019, 06:00 PM
Booing individuals is not on.

Since452
20-07-2019, 06:01 PM
Drawing 0-0 at HT at home to Alloa deserves boo's imo. Singling out players is another matter.

Aim Here
20-07-2019, 06:02 PM

I was there in the East too, and there was definitely a group of people booing from somewhere in the southern half of the stand.

Makes no sense to boo Whittaker because he was definitely working his arse off for the team. Telling someone 'you're *****' doesn't make them less *****. Besides, although he put in two or three duff crosses and fluffed a one on one, he was otherwise decent (and even with that last mistake, he did a hell of a lot right to get into that position - it was frustrating to watch but **** happens.)

DTS
20-07-2019, 06:06 PM
It’s not unreasonable to expect better against the standard of opposition we’ve faced. Hope you enjoy going to a glorified friendly at Hampden in a few months. Wait, it’ll no be a glorified friendly then - just when it suits you.

The sole reason I’m saying glorified friendly is pace of the game and timing of it in the season. But to continue with your agenda, and fingers crossed it comes true if we’re in the final come November will the manager rotate and make 4/5/6 changes to get players fit for a league game? Doubt it.

I wanted us to win today and win comfortably and we did that

DTS
20-07-2019, 06:10 PM
Our main rivals for where Hibs want to be are Aberdeen and to a lesser extent Rangers, both those sides would have hammered Allow and Stirling Albion.

Today was absolutely brutal, we were *****.

If it wasn’t for two excellent saves and a debatable offside call we would have won 4/5 today. Aberdeen May or may not have humped them today but this is the same Aberdeen who drew at home with stenhousemuir in the cup a few months ago. As for rangers they’re not really our main rivals right now they’ll cruise to second they have millions to spend, a fairer comparison would be hearts and killie, hearts have drew with a championship team and beat a league 2 team and killie just lost over two legs to a part time team

RIP
20-07-2019, 06:11 PM
I don’t know if the lads thought they were being ironic by shouting ‘SHOOT!!’ every time Whitty touched the ball after he skied it from 6 yards. They were two rows behind us and we weren’t impressed by the piss take.

I’m certain they didn’t expect to be pulled up for booing but clearly a lot of fans misheard. Either way the ‘SHOOT!!’ shout was not appreciated

B.H.F.C
20-07-2019, 06:12 PM
The sole reason I’m saying glorified friendly is pace of the game and timing of it in the season. But to continue with your agenda, and fingers crossed it comes true if we’re in the final come November will the manager roster and make 4/5/6 changes to get players fit for a league game? Doubt it.

I wanted us to win today and win comfortably and we did that

Why does the word agenda keep cropping up on this place?

He’s not resting players left, right and centre. He brought in our number one goalie today. Darren McGregor who has been our best centre half since Heckingbottom arrived. Boyle, who everybody would pick in the team. And Kamberi.

We will make changes nearly every week in the league as well.

DTS
20-07-2019, 06:15 PM
Why does the word agenda keep cropping up on this place?

He’s not resting players left, right and centre. He brought in our number one goalie today. Darren McGregor who has been our best centre half since Heckingbottom arrived. Boyle, who everybody would pick in the team. And Kamberi.

We will make changes nearly every week in the league as well.

Perhaps agenda wasn’t the word but comparing a group stage game in July to a cup final surely you can see is a bit far fetched? Yes he brought them in today but they weren’t playing last week and I’m sure there will be 4/5/6 changes for Tuesday as well. We will make changes most week but 1/2 not wholesale like currently. Look at last season a settled team winning and he hardly changed it. 5/6 changes each game isn’t normal

B.H.F.C
20-07-2019, 06:22 PM
Perhaps agenda wasn’t the word but comparing a group stage game in July to a cup final surely you can see is a bit far fetched? Yes he brought them in today but they weren’t playing last week and I’m sure there will be 4/5/6 changes for Tuesday as well. We will make changes most week but 1/2 not wholesale like currently. Look at last season a settled team winning and he hardly changed it. 5/6 changes each game isn’t normal

He hardly changed it last year but that was largely down to our injury situation IMO.

I’m not comparing a cup final to today’s game. Just don’t agree today can be termed as glorified friendly when you need to take care of them to make the cup final a possibility.

hibbyfraelibby
20-07-2019, 06:23 PM
Talking of Boo Boys where was the much vaunted Singing Section today. Not a peep from the self proclaimed creators of atmosphere. Were they in a huff again?

DTS
20-07-2019, 06:26 PM
He hardly changed it last year but that was largely down to our injury situation IMO.

I’m not comparing a cup final to today’s game. Just don’t agree today can be termed as glorified friendly when you need to take care of them to make the cup final a possibility.

Yeah I agree but look at how long it to took omeonga to get a start even when he was playing well off the bench.

Maybe the term was stupid, let me explain my thinking’s of today. Result was all that mattered for me, if we hadn’t have won I’d have been pissed off like I was last week(wasn’t as annoyed if it had been a league game/ knockout as knew we still had 3 more games) but I didn’t expect any sort of scintillating football or anything it is still about getting minutes in the legs etc obviously with a winning edge to it, hence the glorified friendly comment. Winning key? Absolutely.
Performance key? Not so much for me as still early

Speedway
20-07-2019, 06:28 PM
Expectation seems to be at the root of this at the moment.

Owner, manager and CEO all saying top 4 is the aim.

Manager saying how exciting a time it is and then going on about style of play, fitness etc.

Then we’re watching football that bears no resemblance to exciting or a high press style or a top 4 quality team.

The fans aren’t seeing what the manager says they’d be seeing.

He didn’t say we’d see this after 15 games and everyone had gelled and a whole raft of caveats. We were told to expect this after he’d had a pre-season.

He’s had one and we’re toiling in terms of performances.

So I agree that boo boys help no one but expecting boo boys not to boo is even more unrealistic than what the manager told us to look forward to.

B.H.F.C
20-07-2019, 06:32 PM
Yeah I agree but look at how long it to took omeonga to get a start even when he was playing well off the bench.

Maybe the term was stupid, let me explain my thinking’s of today. Result was all that mattered for me, if we hadn’t have won I’d have been pissed off like I was last week(wasn’t as annoyed if it had been a league game/ knockout as knew we still had 3 more games) but I didn’t expect any sort of scintillating football or anything it is still about getting minutes in the legs etc obviously with a winning edge to it, hence the glorified friendly comment. Winning key? Absolutely.
Performance key? Not so much for me as still early

I disagree about the performance. I know we created chances but you’d expect that against Alloa.

My concern is that I thought we were going to have a really clear way of playing this season. Heckingbottom has spoken about it, how he wants to press high etc. Whilst I don’t expect us to be at it for 90 minutes at this stage I would expect to be seeing signs of that coming together and, in the two games so far, I don’t think I have. I don’t see us building towards it. If anything, I think we look leggy.

malcolm
20-07-2019, 06:34 PM
They are not friendlies

Yes they are not frendlies but they are effectively pre-season games and performances need to be judged with this in mind.

While the format of the league cup adds interest, the timing of it is terrible hence it is of necessity forming part of the pre-season preparation and that preparation is involving ensuring the squad is in a good shape by rotating and mixing things up. Folk want more than a 14 man first team squad and competition for places this is a consequence.

hfc rd
20-07-2019, 06:35 PM
Drawing 0-0 at HT at home to Alloa deserves boo's imo. Singling out players is another matter.

100% this.

DTS
20-07-2019, 06:38 PM
I disagree about the performance. I know we created chances but you’d expect that against Alloa.

My concern is that I thought we were going to have a really clear way of playing this season. Heckingbottom has spoken about it, how he wants to press high etc. Whilst I don’t expect us to be at it for 90 minutes at this stage I would expect to be seeing signs of that coming together and, in the two games so far, I don’t think I have. I don’t see us building towards it. If anything, I think we look leggy.

I think the second half is what we are likely to see, today reminded me massively of the championship seasons against a team who routinely made it hard work for us. But yeah second half imo is what we are likely to see first half we tried something different to every pre season game.

Second half there was a clearer idea of wingers staying high and wide, mallan deep letting Allan and Murray press forward, looked like Scott Allan will be the main catalyst for our press, we nicked it high a few times second half. We dominated the ball( to be expected). It’s hard to press high when you play a flat 4-4-2 as there’s a huge gap between midfield and strikers and if it misses the strikers the other team have easy possession. Playing 3 allows a player to break and start it having the confidence of the other 2 midfielders covering. If we’d had played the second half team all game I’m confident the mood and result would have been a lot better

Keith_M
20-07-2019, 06:40 PM
Talking of Boo Boys where was the much vaunted Singing Section today. Not a peep from the self proclaimed creators of atmosphere. Were they in a huff again?

They normally only turn up for the bigger games, but by the end of last season they seemed to have pretty much given up entirely.

It's a shame, because I think they've contributed a lot in previous years. Maybe they'll move back to the East Stand and join in with the section in there that still sings occasionally, give it a bit of a boost.

SChibs
20-07-2019, 06:48 PM

What is booing going to achieve?

Ricky Bobby
20-07-2019, 06:49 PM
The support has every right to voice their displeasure at the first half performance following on from last weekends embarrassment surely? Collectively rubbish.

I would agree about fans venting their displeasure at HT. Not for me but it's their right.
The booing of Whittaker was out of order though. He had a very decent game apart from a couple of wayward crosses and that miss.

Hibeewilly
20-07-2019, 06:53 PM
I have never booed Hibs in all the years I've supported them and never will...…..that was shocking at half time today IMO. Whether people choose to believe it or not we are still in pre season and players are getting their fitness levels up. I thought the fitness levels of Whittaker and Horgan in particular have improved markedly

hibbysam
20-07-2019, 07:06 PM
I don’t know if the lads thought they were being ironic by shouting ‘SHOOT!!’ every time Whitty touched the ball after he skied it from 6 yards. They were two rows behind us and we weren’t impressed by the piss take.

I’m certain they didn’t expect to be pulled up for booing but clearly a lot of fans misheard. Either way the ‘SHOOT!!’ shout was not appreciated

Again, the row in section 44 AA of around 6 boys certainly weren’t shouting Shoot, and given the lack of atmosphere and low crowd, those Boo’s were very very audible. Maybe someone further North that was shouting shoot but this crowd were booing and abusing very loudly, to which Whitt’s gave a very shocked look up at them and then went straight down the tunnel at full time.

Captain Trips
20-07-2019, 07:11 PM
What is booing going to achieve?

What if PH used it to motivate players and say we don't want to hear that at FT?

Cheered at games we have been humped.
Outnumbered the opposition fans we have been humped.
Booed our own players we have been humped.

Cheered at games we have won.
Outnumbered the opposition fans we have won.
Booed our own players we have won.

Don't really think they give a **** what is shouted.

Captain Trips
20-07-2019, 07:14 PM
I have never booed Hibs in all the years I've supported them and never will...…..that was shocking at half time today IMO. Whether people choose to believe it or not we are still in pre season and players are getting their fitness levels up. I thought the fitness levels of Whittaker and Horgan in particular have improved markedly

Are Alloa not getting there levels up as well?

Onion
20-07-2019, 07:19 PM
Boils my blood folk booing a Hibs player. Especially Steven Whittaker, a product of the youth system who's lifted a trophy and made the club millions. Really uncalled for. Didn't even play badly.

Need to accept there is an element with the Hibs support that are ********s. Probably the very same idiots that thought it made sense to noise up some incidental Huns 30 secs after the club overcame a 114 year hoodoo :bitchy: Don't get it and never will.

147lothian
20-07-2019, 07:20 PM
Booing the team off at half time is not for me but I totally understand why its done, anyone who wants to stop half time booing might have more luck if they go to Portobello beach and try to roll back the waves, people pay their money and choose to boo or not to boo, its no big deal for me, but what is a big deal and moronic is singling out an individual for booing when he touches the ball.

That's what happened to Whittaker near the end of the game incidentally it happened when he was taking the ball away from our goal so the claims that it was just people shouting shoot, don't match up. It happened twice I clearly heard it and it was totally out of order.

matty_f
20-07-2019, 07:22 PM
Don’t explain this to people. Especially when people on forums can blame the fans who pay money to watch that, for the teams awful performance.

If ever I was asked to name one poster who would object to the idea of folk sticking up for the team they support it would be you.

There is no surprise at all that you jump to the defence of folk who would go out their way to justify that sort of crap.

Ozyhibby
20-07-2019, 07:26 PM
I’m not the booing type but whining because fans are unhappy about the teams or a players performance is also pointless.
No player is being boo’ed for any other reason than some fans don’t think they are good enough. It happens at every club in the world and ours is no different.
Whittaker is a good servant of the club, of that there is no doubt. That doesn’t mean he should still be playing for the club. It’s a long time since he was good enough imo.
I agree with to op though, booing at the match is not helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim44
20-07-2019, 07:28 PM
It’s one thing to vent your frustration on a fan’s forum. Booing individual players or the team in general is shoddy.

percy veer
20-07-2019, 07:28 PM
weapons , ramjets, who both paid money to watch that today, id rather concentrate on the rats that stayed away for that today.. Seeing a though we are slinging insults about the place.

eastcoasthibby
20-07-2019, 07:35 PM

One of them was probably a loud mouthed old guy who had a go at most players at different stages during the game ...a couple of them were out of order shouts and sure he was one at least with whitty ...we all like a moan at times and I had a few at times today but the level of this guy on particular was out of order. One of his big ones was Oli Shaw's first touch of the ball coming on and he lost it to the loud shout of "typical Oli Shaw " out of order attitude not needed nor a supporter

matty_f
20-07-2019, 07:39 PM
weapons , ramjets, who both paid money to watch that today, id rather concentrate on the rats that stayed away for that today.. Seeing a though we are slinging insults about the place.

Rats :faf: :faf:

Hibeewilly
20-07-2019, 07:54 PM
Are Alloa not getting there levels up as well?
I don't know their position Captain I'm only concerned with Hibs and I'm certain we'll be fully tuned for the St Mirren game

FitbaFolkKen
20-07-2019, 07:59 PM
Haven’t gone through the thread so apologies if it has been mentioned but I thought it was telling at the end of the game ten players came and clapped the east and one walked off up the tunnel.

Pretty grim, he isn’t trying to mess up the crosses/shots but jeezo it isn’t half frustrating to watch him put himself in great positions to waste the ball.

Silversand
20-07-2019, 08:13 PM
The booing of Whittaker today after he put a 1 on 1 over the bar was pretty low, and uncalled for.

We all want Hibs players to improve moral & hence improve performance. Booing tactics are not going to achieve this.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

eastcoasthibby
20-07-2019, 08:28 PM
Whittaker oldest player in our squad and today he did well fitness wise given our fullbacks are expected to cover a fair bit of ground ...he put a lot more into the game than a few others ! I said in a thread last week that I think Whitty will play a fair bit this season as he plays in a discounted way that Hecky seems to like so expect a fair bit o f booing from the stands ...

Vault Boy
20-07-2019, 08:32 PM
Was disappointed by this today. The team played no bad in the second half, definitely not an overall performance or result worthy of a chorus of boos.

The treatment of Whittaker is getting to be horrendous. He's performed well in the last couple. The kinda **** he's subjected to online is bad enough, let alone getting abuse from the stands.

basehibby
20-07-2019, 08:37 PM
The Whittaker derision is just weird, similar individuals that dished it out to Tortolano and Brian Hamilton.

Unhappy angry weirdos.

This - every support has them and they don't go away over time - so we should not be ashamed.

Someone has even gone to the trouble of making smileys specially in tribute to these particular brands of supporters .... :dummytit::bitchy::fuming::doh::clown::dead::LOL:: panic:

FitbaFolkKen
20-07-2019, 08:44 PM
Was disappointed by this today. The team played no bad in the second half, definitely not an overall performance or result worthy of a chorus of boos.

The treatment of Whittaker is getting to be horrendous. He's performed well in the last couple. The kinda **** he's subjected to online is bad enough, let alone getting abuse from the stands.

Wouldn’t say it was a chorus of boos more just a couple of morons. Grim though

Hibs1969
20-07-2019, 08:45 PM
The fans booing Whittaker should be ashamed of themselves. The whole team was poor in the first half but got better as the second half went on. He wasn't the only player to misplace a pass, so to boo the guy because he missed a shot when through on the keeper? Disgraceful.

FilipinoHibs
20-07-2019, 08:59 PM

Honestly why do they bother coming? Find something else to do a Saturday. Go shopping with the better half and moan all afternoon. Please keep away from ER.

SideBurns
20-07-2019, 09:04 PM
The fans booing Whittaker should be ashamed of themselves. The whole team was poor in the first half but got better as the second half went on. He wasn't the only player to misplace a pass, so to boo the guy because he missed a shot when through on the keeper? Disgraceful.

Were they not shouting "Shòot!" after he missed that sitter? If it was booing, they're an absolute disgrace and I'd rather do without their 'support'.

Congruence
20-07-2019, 09:04 PM

Well said! :flag:

Vault Boy
20-07-2019, 09:12 PM
Wouldn’t say it was a chorus of boos more just a couple of morons. Grim though

It's all I could hear on Hibs TV so assumed it was more. I'm glad if it was only a couple, but it was definitely audible.

Greencore
20-07-2019, 09:19 PM
Anyone that singles out individuals in a Hibernian jersey to boo is a ****** ramjet.

Second this.

green with envy
20-07-2019, 09:20 PM

That's exactly what it was.

Shrekko
20-07-2019, 09:26 PM
I’m not the booing type but whining because fans are unhappy about the teams or a players performance is also pointless.
No player is being boo’ed for any other reason than some fans don’t think they are good enough. It happens at every club in the world and ours is no different.
Whittaker is a good servant of the club, of that there is no doubt. That doesn’t mean he should still be playing for the club. It’s a long time since he was good enough imo.
I agree with to op though, booing at the match is not helpful.

Confused as to whether you think booing of Whittaker is ok?

I’ll tell you the answer- it’s completely disgraceful.

An excellent pro who has actually been better than many idiots have said during his 2nd spell. He doesn’t hide, gives 100 percent and sometimes he is still a joy to watch.

He made us £2 million and left in the dignified way. He’s also a cup winner and was part of our best pair of full backs in 30 years.

Folk who want to abuse and boo Hibs players should just stop going - utter morons.

cmcd
20-07-2019, 09:26 PM
I have supported Hibs since the 50s and can honestly say I have never booed the team or individual players . It's Pathetic and helps no one

we are hibs
20-07-2019, 09:27 PM
I feel for him in the sense that he should be nowhere near the first team as he isn't anywhere near good enough and it's not his fault if we have given him a 3 year deal then the manager wants to play him. At least he tries.

familyman
20-07-2019, 09:31 PM
It is horrific to hear Sloppy being used by manager when by now we should be fired up 100per cent ni matter the game.
What the Heck is he doing?
This is the season for climbing back to number2 remember.

Ozyhibby
20-07-2019, 09:33 PM

An excellent pro who has actually been better than many idiots have said during his 2nd spell. He doesn’t hide, gives 100 percent and sometimes he is still a joy to watch.

He made us £2 million and left in the dignified way. He’s also a cup winner and was part of our best pair of full backs in 30 years.

Folk who want to abuse and boo Hibs players should just stop going - utter morons.

Don’t be confused, I would never do it. It’s a bit of a weird sound for a grown up to make for a kick off.
If I was him I would have felt worse at the pity clapping his every touch after the miss though.

green with envy
20-07-2019, 09:35 PM

No one booed him though. It was clearly someone shouting shoot as someone has already said after he blasted a six yard sitter over the bar. Again it was clear from Where we were sitting the shout was shoot and not boo. It was also in jest.

3pm
20-07-2019, 09:36 PM
Whittaker wasn’t the issue today.

B.H.F.C
20-07-2019, 09:46 PM

Far from it. Couple of dreadful crosses, and that shot, but played some decent stuff.

ahibby
20-07-2019, 10:04 PM
Recall taking 70 minutes or so to score against Cowdenbeath at ER. No booing that day with crwod circa 10k. Changed days.

147lothian
20-07-2019, 10:04 PM
No one booed him though. It was clearly someone shouting shoot as someone has already said after he blasted a six yard sitter over the bar. Again it was clear from Where we were sitting the shout was shoot and not boo. It was also in jest.

The incident I've been talking about was NOT when Whittaker was 1 on 1 with the keeper and put the ball over the bar. People may well have shouted shoot then but that's not the incident in question it was right at the end of the game, when Rocky passed the ball out a few players touched the ball and as soon as Whittaker touched the ball boos came out, this happened twice.

For the sake of clarity booing the team at half time or full time is not my thing but it happens and is IMO acceptable, shouting when a player fluffs 1 on 1, I can accept, what I cant accept is what happened at the end of the game when you get a moron booing a player as soon as he touches the ball simply because he doesn't like the player, this is totally unacceptable.

hibbysam
20-07-2019, 10:07 PM

Again, people DID boo Whitts, right behind me along with a number of other expletives about how ***** he is and how we waste £150k a year on his wages (I feel for anyone that believes this).

BILLYHIBS
20-07-2019, 10:37 PM

To Heckingbottom it is

It is his neck on the line if we don’t get out of this section

Unfortunately we are in a results driven business

Does he know his best eleven?

Still waiting on the high pressing game he keeps banging on about

SMAXXA
20-07-2019, 10:43 PM
To Heckingbottom it is

To be fair I seen parts of that high press today, but it was more when we sacrificed a striker for another midfielder. Flo was pish a don’t care what anyone says and Doidge wasn’t any better. If we were wanting to press from the front Connor Washington would have been a better option from a striker perspective but if you want your strikers to score goals he wouldn’t cut it on previous. Lots of things to improve on but I don’t feel the need to get all bed wetting at this stage, long way to go and the one thing imo PH needs to do now is get that team he’s starting with against St Mirren on the park

matty_f
20-07-2019, 10:44 PM
To Heckingbottom it is

We won today. We’re on track to get out the group. And we got fitness up. Win/win.

The Modfather
20-07-2019, 10:51 PM

CMurdoch
20-07-2019, 10:56 PM

That is an important point.
His defensive play was good and he had a couple of decent shots.
The one on one was appalling but so was for example the Scott Allan shot that was so bad that it went out for a throw in but there has been very little mention of that.

Whittaker looked very fit and worked hard for his team, which is his side of the bargain.
Supporters should support all the players in the team, that is our side of the bargain.
The manager decides which players are best for any given game, they do their best on the day and we do our best to encourage them.

The mild booing of the whole team at the end of today's extremely poor 1st half was on the right side of acceptable but picking on an individual in the second half was out of order and is massively counter productive.

The last time i can remember doing my nut at one of our players in recent times was Kamberi when he was sent off at Tynecastle. He broke the bargain when he decided to fight for HIS honour despite being on a yellow card and in so doing got a second yellow which screwed his team mates/our team.

FitbaFolkKen
20-07-2019, 11:45 PM
That is an important point.
His defensive play was good and he had a couple of decent shots.
The one on one was appalling but so was for example the Scott Allan shot that was so bad that it went out for a throw in but there has been very little mention of that.

Whittaker looked very fit and worked hard for his team, which is his side of the bargain.
Supporters should support all the players in the team, that is our side of the bargain.
The manager decides which players are best for any given game, they do their best on the day and we do our best to encourage them.

The mild booing of the whole team at the end of today's extremely poor 1st half was on the right side of acceptable but picking on an individual in the second half was out of order and is massively counter productive.

The last time i can remember doing my nut at one of our players in recent times was Kamberi when he was sent off at Tynecastle. He broke the bargain when he decided to fight for HIS honour despite being on a yellow card and in so doing got a second yellow which screwed his team mates/our team.

I think the frustration is that he wins the ball back and gets in good positions and then the end product is garbage. Some of his interceptions today were excellent but all anyone will remember is the cross that goes into the stand, out at the near post or the shot over the bar from the edge of the 6 yard box. I imagine it’ll be much more frustrating for him than us though.

CMurdoch
20-07-2019, 11:50 PM
I think the frustration is that he wins the ball back and gets in good positions and then the end product is garbage. Some of his interceptions today were excellent but all anyone will remember is the cross that goes into the stand, out at the near post or the shot over the bar from the edge of the 6 yard box. I imagine it’ll be much more frustrating for him than us though.

He put in an appalling cross in the 1st half which I admit to letting out a "for fecks sake" in response

I also remember a horrific shot from the Squirrel in the 2nd half which was almost as bad as Whittakers 1on1

SMAXXA
20-07-2019, 11:50 PM
Whittikar players one of the best cross field passes I’ve ever seen at Easter road today in the first half

Gloucester Hibs
21-07-2019, 12:00 AM

:faf: Classic Simpsons

FitbaFolkKen
21-07-2019, 12:01 AM
He put in an appalling cross in the 1st half which I admit to letting out a "for fecks sake" in response

I also remember a horrific shot from the Squirrel in the 2nd half which was almost as bad as Whittakers 1on1

Yeah, my point was more that he does some good stuff but it gets overlooked because of the poor end product. I don’t think he’s a bad player.... just shouldn’t try and cross the ball ;)

Hi Heid Yin
21-07-2019, 12:03 AM
Booing an individual player is out of order, irrespective of how bad a game he might be having/or had.

I'm not Whittakers biggest fan (he's past his sell by date) but I have never booed him and nor will I ever boo him, or any other player who wears the green and white.

the pie eater
21-07-2019, 12:28 AM
I was in the east and it 100% was. Seems pretty much everyone else thought so as well.

No it was not. I was in the east me and none of the guys i was with booooed. Obviously you did if as you say it was 100%. We were **** today though.

green&left
21-07-2019, 03:24 AM
He was a bit taken aback I think he even turned around to give the culprits a glare

No need!

Tbf the incident when Steven turned and looked up at the East the guys were shouting "SHOOOOT" in jest after his sitter. Could've been mistaken as a boo from a far but was defo shoot they shouted. Not saying there wasn't a boo elsewhere but I heard nothing from my seat in the East.

MWHIBBIES
21-07-2019, 03:48 AM
Recall taking 70 minutes or so to score against Cowdenbeath at ER. No booing that day with crwod circa 10k. Changed days.

When was that?

Hermit Crab
21-07-2019, 03:57 AM

Horrendous post.

Phil MaGlass
21-07-2019, 04:45 AM
If that's your opinion then it seems like you didn't hear, and your either making excuses or second guessing I heard it and the response from descent supporters clearly was booing. they were responding to and it happened twice.

or it seems like you may have missed the number of posts who experienced it and said it was not booing?

percy veer
21-07-2019, 07:24 AM
Horrendous post.

I put this insult in, as i said people were flinging insults at people, weapons ramjets etc i, i dont think theyare rats and i apologise for this , it is easy for people to call people stuff on a forum though and not say something to the boo boys on the day

superfurryhibby
21-07-2019, 07:34 AM
I put this insult in, as i said people were flinging insults at people, weapons ramjets etc i, i dont think theyare rats and i apologise for this , it is easy for people to call people stuff on a forum though and not say something to the boo boys on the day

Wtf is a ramjet anyway? The only ramjet I know of was Roger and he’s our man a hero of the nation.

Personally, I don’t dish out abuse to Hibs players, but I absolutely reserve the right to boo the team off the. Field when they’ve been playing *****. This is football, a passionate and emotive game , FFS.

bawheid
21-07-2019, 07:37 AM
Grown men booing is just weird IMO.

Viva_Palmeiras
21-07-2019, 07:44 AM
I think it’s on the Vine/OTJ someone mentioned players sense of entitlement. Is it a fans sense of entitlement that leads them to boo?

Maybe some folks just need a reality check.

For anyone that thinks it works listen to St Pats interview with Super Joe. Shameful the impact it can have on human beings taking “abuse” (and I note that there have been some posters admitting and not having a problem with “abuse” - one of them is too many.
The abusers are no Hibs fan in my mind.

Viva_Palmeiras
21-07-2019, 07:46 AM

Replace that with sectarianism and racism and if you don’t see the problem ... we’ll thats your choice.

BILLYHIBS
21-07-2019, 07:56 AM
Yes they are not frendlies but they are effectively pre-season games and performances need to be judged with this in mind.

While the format of the league cup adds interest, the timing of it is terrible hence it is of necessity forming part of the pre-season preparation and that preparation is involving ensuring the squad is in a good shape by rotating and mixing things up. Folk want more than a 14 man first team squad and competition for places this is a consequence.

OK!

How about must beat Arbroath on Tuesday however you want to dress it up

Sounds pretty competitive to me

I cannot see many HIBS supporters or the new powers that be putting up with an early exit from the League Cup

superfurryhibby
21-07-2019, 07:58 AM
Replace that with sectarianism and racism and if you don’t see the problem ... we’ll thats your choice.

To be fair, that is a fairly outlandish leap your making.

BILLYHIBS
21-07-2019, 08:05 AM
Tbf the incident when Steven turned and looked up at the East the guys were shouting "SHOOOOT" in jest after his sitter. Could've been mistaken as a boo from a far but was defo shoot they shouted. Not saying there wasn't a boo elsewhere but I heard nothing from my seat in the East.

Thanks for pointing that out (seriously)

From my viewpoint high up in the West it sounded like a boo

When Whitts missed the sitter I actually laughed because the game was won and we looked comfortable I thought he was trying to hit the moon from six yards out to mark the 50th anniversary but he did well to create the chance in the first place ( should have squared it);:greengrin

I thought yesterday and last week he was one of our better performers

Captain Trips
21-07-2019, 08:22 AM
After being cheered on at start 0-0 at HT. Booed off park 2nd half 2-0.

Cheering or booing regardless will generally have little effect on what's going to happen. If team was booed on at start and cheered off at HT then I bet that would be used to say the booing didn't help and we did well after the cheers. Of course it appears opposite occurred yesterday.

I really think booing or not makes no difference.

Booing of individuals is tough as everyone is different some players might sink into shell but I bet there are some who thrive and will want to silence them. Best practice is not to single out players in that manner.

I see no problem at HT people making their feelings known been cheered off plenty so I think a bit of sometimes it not being positive gives it a good and fair mix.

Not all can be rosey. Individual booing is though not a good approach.

Smartie
21-07-2019, 08:50 AM
I think booing the team off at ht and ft is absolutely fair game, and a decent way of letting players, manager and board that you're not happy.

I'm not a huge fan of it whilst a game is underway.

When ht came yesterday I muttered under my breath rather than booed. It hadn't been a good half but it was far from catastrophic so didn't really merit any huge demonstration of emotion, some people may have felt differently.

I didn't hear anyone booing Steven Whittaker but if anyone did then that is nothing short of disgraceful. His final ball in general and his effort on goal when clean through were very poor indeed but he'll know that himself. I thought that other than that he was generally very good, and there was no shortage of effort - shortage of effort being the only thing that should ever justify booing of one of our own players. And whilst Whittaker probably had the most poor crosses, he was far from alone, 4 or 5 other players putting in terrible efforts at various points.

21-07-2019, 09:28 AM
Some heard boos, some heard shouts of "shoot". I believe both, some people booed, some shouted "shoot" and what you heard depended on where you were sitting.

I heard something but it wasn't clearly boos or "shoot", I would describe what I heard as jeering so probably a mixture of both plus other shouts. Either way, it's poor form.

Caversham Green
21-07-2019, 09:36 AM
I can't see how sarcastically shouting 'shoot' after he's missed a sitter is any more helpful than booing. It's certainly not going to do anything for his confidence if he takes his game seriously - and I'm sure Whittaker does.

judas
21-07-2019, 09:40 AM
Looking back over the posts on this thread two things stand out.

This perception that these League Cup games are like friendlies. WTF!!!

We have won the LC 3 times (all in my lifetime) and my recollection is that it was a very big deal on each occasion with a great deal of partying involved. In that time Hearts have won ZERO LC’s. We are now neck and neck with them on LCs won as a result.

Let’s not play with this maxim: A team of Hibs stature compete to win major honours.

The LC is the 3rd major honour in our country FFS! It seems to matter even to Celtic - or what would be the big deal about the treble?

I’ll be dipping into my excessive overdraft to watch Hibs v Arbroath midweek, because it matters.

Anyone not valuing this cup needs to re-evaluate.

Much talk of fan entitlement and prerogative to boo. It misses the point.

I have the ‘right’ to lean over the advertising boards and tell a Hibs player that he is utter gash and an embarrassment to the club, just as he steps back for his run in.

The real questions are: Is it helping the player in any sense and is it promoting team morale? I think not.

It’s the worst kept management secret in Scotland that a visiting team need only keep the doors shut for 25 minutes and the Hibs fans will help them do the rest.

Let’s do what we can to make a positive difference.

WestStandWillie
21-07-2019, 09:41 AM

Most definitely booing Whitty. There were also a few unsavoury shouts towards James as well.

Hibi
21-07-2019, 09:43 AM
I can't see how sarcastically shouting 'shoot' after he's missed a sitter is any more helpful than booing. It's certainly not going to do anything for his confidence if he takes his game seriously - and I'm sure Whittaker does.

Yep whatever it was it didn’t help one of our players. I watched him closely after it and he clearly heard it as well, shook his head, muttered something and was desperate to get off the pitch. If he is struggling with form and knows it then he needs the fans support and encouragement, due to squad size we’ll need him this season and require him to be on top of his game.

WhileTheChief..
21-07-2019, 09:48 AM
I have supported Hibs since the 50s and can honestly say I have never booed the team or individual players . It's Pathetic and helps no one

You’ve never been so caught up in a match that that you’ve joined in with a chorus of boos at half time or after a crap result? Never?

You’ve seen some crap performances in 60 years, I admire your restraint.

All those early cup exits, or defeats against Hearts at Easter Road?

Sometimes it sounds like the whole stadium is booing. Kinda like Kilmarnock going out to that Welsh team the other night. It happens at every club on occasion.

green with envy
21-07-2019, 10:09 AM

This how I saw it too. Sure it came from one of the lads that are part of the singing section. Certainly no malice was intended on that incident when Whittakar looked up.

Wilson
21-07-2019, 10:18 AM
Grown men booing is just weird IMO.

Boooo!

Northernhibee
21-07-2019, 11:25 AM
I’ve said it before; you can hear the same foghorn voices at each game shouting and swearing and ranting. The club could ban 20-30 people and improve the atmosphere no end. There’s a difference between letting your thoughts be known and being out of control of your actions.

Albanian Hibs
21-07-2019, 12:16 PM

What's the difference? What's the booing going to achieve.

Spike Mandela
21-07-2019, 12:28 PM
You’ve never been so caught up in a match that that you’ve joined in with a chorus of boos at half time or after a crap result? Never?

Sometimes it sounds like the whole stadium is booing. Kinda like Kilmarnock going out to that Welsh team the other night. It happens at every club on occasion.

I have been watching Hibs for 43 years and can honestly say I have never booed a Hibs player or team in that time. Never even crosed my mind.. and I have seen some terrible Hibs teams and players.

I am prone to quite a few muttered ffs under my breath though, but booing, nah, don’t get it.

matty_f
21-07-2019, 12:30 PM
Looking back over the posts on this thread two things stand out.

This perception that these League Cup games are like friendlies. WTF!!!

We have won the LC 3 times (all in my lifetime) and my recollection is that it was a very big deal on each occasion with a great deal of partying involved. In that time Hearts have won ZERO LC’s. We are now neck and neck with them on LCs won as a result.

Let’s not play with this maxim: A team of Hibs stature compete to win major honours.

The LC is the 3rd major honour in our country FFS! It seems to matter even to Celtic - or what would be the big deal about the treble?

I’ll be dipping into my excessive overdraft to watch Hibs v Arbroath midweek, because it matters.

Anyone not valuing this cup needs to re-evaluate.

Much talk of fan entitlement and prerogative to boo. It misses the point.

I have the ‘right’ to lean over the advertising boards and tell a Hibs player that he is utter gash and an embarrassment to the club, just as he steps back for his run in.

The real questions are: Is it helping the player in any sense and is it promoting team morale? I think not.

It’s the worst kept management secret in Scotland that a visiting team need only keep the doors shut for 25 minutes and the Hibs fans will help them do the rest.

Let’s do what we can to make a positive difference.
Re your first point, I don’t think anyone is treating them as friendlies in the traditional sense but I think we’ve rightly approached them as games that we can win whilst rotating the squad and building fitness.

There’s a difference between the two things.

superfurryhibby
21-07-2019, 12:34 PM
What's the difference? What's the booing going to achieve.

The difference us self explanatory really.

Booing lets fans express their views. Fans are lifeblood of any club, they vote with their feet and if the entertainment is pish, then they’ve a right to let the players, management and owners know. Personally, I’m not buying a season ticket so I can enjoy a wee jolly with my pals before and after a game. I love football, love Hibs and love winning.

I’ve had plenty of crap served up at ER in nearly 50 years of going to games and there’s been years where my interest in watching it has waned. There’s plenty like me and in order to keep us going, the football can’t be poor.

Records season tickets etc, not coincidence this comes on the back of success.

Football is theatre, we over-invest in it emotionally and letting off steam is normal. It’s part of what makes it so compelling.

judas
21-07-2019, 12:45 PM
Re your first point, I don’t think anyone is treating them as friendlies in the traditional sense but I think we’ve rightly approached them as games that we can win whilst rotating the squad and building fitness.

There’s a difference between the two things.

If that works, then I can see some sense in the approach.

If not....

MWHIBBIES
21-07-2019, 12:47 PM
If that works, then I can see some sense in the approach.

If not....

It will work, were not going out to Arbroath and Elgin

Captain Trips
21-07-2019, 02:57 PM

Booing lets fans express their views. Fans are lifeblood of any club, they vote with their feet and if the entertainment is pish, then they’ve a right to let the players, management and owners know. Personally, I’m not buying a season ticket so I can enjoy a wee jolly with my pals before and after a game. I love football, love Hibs and love winning.

I’ve had plenty of crap served up at ER in nearly 50 years of going to games and there’s been years where my interest in watching it has waned. There’s plenty like me and in order to keep us going, the football can’t be poor.

Football is theatre, we over-invest in it emotionally and letting off steam is normal. It’s part of what makes it so compelling.

Agreed

SChibs
21-07-2019, 03:33 PM

I disagree. If the players are playing badly they know they are playing badly so booing won't make the slightest difference. Getting behind them and supporting them will though imo

cmcd
21-07-2019, 04:04 PM

I have gone home elated . I have gone home on a downer but never booed it serves no purpose

Keith_M
21-07-2019, 04:06 PM

I don't like booing but that's quite some leap you just made there.

Why not just go the whole hog and call them Nazis

Viva_Palmeiras
21-07-2019, 06:08 PM
I don't like booing but that's quite some leap you just made there.

Why not just go the whole hog and call them Nazis

Doing nothing is the problem that compounds all of these behaviours.

Pretty Boy
21-07-2019, 06:18 PM
Booing at HT if we are playing poorly or losing is pantomime stuff. It's been going on as long as I can remember and long before that as well, it happens at every ground in the country. It's probably not helpful but I'm sure players both accept it and can brush it off.

It's the personal stuff accompanied by real vitriol aimed at individuals that I can't stand. A one off shout of 'that' s pish' or something in the heat of the moment is one thing, aiming a string of insults at a player in sustained bursts is completely different and the people doing it need to take a look at themselves.

JimBHibees
21-07-2019, 06:33 PM
Booing at HT if we are playing poorly or losing is pantomime stuff. It's been going on as long as I can remember and long before that as well, it happens at every ground in the country. It's probably not helpful but I'm sure players both accept it and can brush it off.

It's the personal stuff accompanied by real vitriol aimed at individuals that I can't stand. A one off shout of 'that' s pish' or something in the heat of the moment is one thing, aiming a string of insults at a player in sustained bursts is completely different and the people doing it need to take a look at themselves.

Couldn't agree more.

Lancs Harp
21-07-2019, 06:34 PM

Totally agree with that.

mjhibby
21-07-2019, 07:01 PM

100% agree. Do folk not realise by heckling our own players we are lessening the chances of us winning. Also it shows no consideration for others who feel the poor atmosphere and spoils their enjoyment of coming to er. I can live with the occasonial outburst but far too many people are ott. I know a lot of folk like to get rid of life's frustrations at a game but we all want Hibs to win surely.
The atmosphere on .net is the worst I can remember with any perceived setback met with a howl of derision. It has certainly lessened the time greatly I spend on here.
Maybe it's a reflection of society but there are so many negative folk it's quite worrying and a sad state of affairs. Let's go to er to get right behind the team. By all means dissect the game later on on here but is it too much to ask to just give Hecky and the boys the best support we can. I don't want to spend my cash listening to loads of folk venting their spleen. Rant over.

superfurryhibby
21-07-2019, 07:05 PM
I disagree. If the players are playing badly they know they are playing badly so booing won't make the slightest difference. Getting behind them and supporting them will though imo

Disagree with what? I never said that booing the team would improve the players performance?

Generally speaking, booing the team is proportionate to the circumstances. Losing 3-0 to Falkirk in a cup semi, boooo. Losing the final to Celtic 0-3, fans stayed and cheered the team on, despite never really being in the game.

Iggy Pope
21-07-2019, 07:20 PM
Disagree with what? I never said that booing the team would improve the players performance?

Generally speaking, booing the team is proportionate to the circumstances. Losing 3-0 to Falkirk in a cup semi, boooo. Losing the final to Celtic 0-3, fans stayed and cheered the team on, despite never really being in the game.

A couple of bams booing our left back yards away from them is particularly caustic though. So much so that he stopped to turn and take a look. And he’d had a pretty good game and is one of the few players these pricks have seen pick up a winners medal at Hampden. Circumstance doesn’t come into that ***** that happened yesterday.

The Green Machine
21-07-2019, 07:24 PM
100% agree. Do folk not realise by heckling our own players we are lessening the chances of us winning. Also it shows no consideration for others who feel the poor atmosphere and spoils their enjoyment of coming to er. I can live with the occasonial outburst but far too many people are ott. I know a lot of folk like to get rid of life's frustrations at a game but we all want Hibs to win surely.
The atmosphere on .net is the worst I can remember with any perceived setback met with a howl of derision. It has certainly lessened the time greatly I spend on here.
Maybe it's a reflection of society but there are so many negative folk it's quite worrying and a sad state of affairs. Let's go to er to get right behind the team. By all means dissect the game later on on here but is it too much to ask to just give Hecky and the boys the best support we can. I don't want to spend my cash listening to loads of folk venting their spleen. Rant over.

This in a nutshell. Great post!

Captain Trips
21-07-2019, 07:31 PM

Interesting stats booed v Falkirk we came back and won, booed yesterday we went on to win. Maybe on occasion its a spur.

Iggy Pope
21-07-2019, 07:34 PM
Interesting stats booed v Falkirk we came back and won, booed yesterday we went on to win. Maybe on occasion its a spur.

The game was already won by the time yesterday’s behaviour arrived like.

skyhibs
21-07-2019, 07:37 PM
The game was already won by the time yesterday’s behaviour arrived like.

they were booooooo ing at half time so maybe not over by then

superfurryhibby
21-07-2019, 07:40 PM
A couple of bams booing our left back yards away from them is particularly caustic though. So much so that he stopped to turn and take a look. And he’d had a pretty good game and is one of the few players these pricks have seen pick up a winners medal at Hampden. Circumstance doesn’t come into that ***** that happened yesterday.

Sure, no one could seriously argue that ripping the pish from a player, especially when they are very nearby, is acceptable. That’s a bit different to booing the team at H-T or fulltime though.

Iggy Pope
21-07-2019, 07:40 PM
they were booooooo ing at half time so maybe not over by then

Thinking more about the singular attack on one player as you know.

Iggy Pope
21-07-2019, 07:46 PM
Sure, no one could seriously argue that ripping the pish from a player, especially when they are very nearby, is acceptable. That’s a bit different to booing the team at H-T or fulltime though.

The HT disgruntlement I can understand, it wasn’t a great 45 and I suppose it only affects the team, not individuals being bullied for their performance.
Never heard any full time booing my Superfurry friend. That would’ve been Bad Behaviour.

skyhibs
21-07-2019, 07:47 PM
Thinking more about the singular attack on one player as you know.

its great that people know what your taking about when you never specifically said..... i agree its no very helpful the verbal whitts got as i am sure he knows he is pish and has been most of last season too

Iggy Pope
21-07-2019, 07:49 PM
its great that people know what your taking about when you never specifically said..... i agree its no very helpful the verbal whitts got as i am sure he knows he is pish and has been most of last season too

Post #158 onwards. Pretty specific. It’s great.

skyhibs
21-07-2019, 07:50 PM
Post #158 onwards. Pretty specific. It’s great.

your quote was on 160 though

Iggy Pope
21-07-2019, 07:53 PM
your quote was on 161 though

158 is earlier. Numbers and that. Now away and geez peace.

skyhibs
21-07-2019, 07:54 PM
158 is earlier. Numbers and that. Now away and geez peace.

well stop replying with **** posts then and that will give you peace

The 90+2
21-07-2019, 07:55 PM

Correct.

Iggy Pope
21-07-2019, 07:56 PM
well stop replying with **** posts then and that will give you peace

:not worth

skyhibs
21-07-2019, 08:01 PM
:not worth

your welcome

staunchhibby
21-07-2019, 08:11 PM
was in the east and there was a guy at the front who spent more time on his feet shouting abuse at times it was laughable at his antics

Captain Trips
21-07-2019, 08:45 PM
Nowt wrong with a vocal sign of displeasure once the play has stopped and the players walk off at either HT or FT. 1000s getting stuck into one individual is a totally different thing.

If the people that booed at HT or FT on occasion did not attend Hibs would be playing in front of very small crowds. Yes there are plenty who do not say anything at HT or FT but I have heard large areas of stadium be vocal at HT or FT.

I do not think they go in and need to call their Mum if booed off. I'm sure the managers talk take far more relevance.

147lothian
21-07-2019, 09:38 PM

A good point well made, can just add that I have nothing against the odd supporter shouting out colourful expletives when a good goal scoring opportunity is lost or a pass goes wayward, what really is out of order is the singling out of any player who wears the jersey for booing when he touches the ball hopefully the Alloa game is the last time I hear that kind on nonsense.

s.a.m
21-07-2019, 10:22 PM
A good point well made, can just add that I have nothing against the odd supporter shouting out colourful expletives when a good goal scoring opportunity is lost or a pass goes wayward, what really is out of order is the singling out of any player who wears the jersey for booing when he touches the ball hopefully the Alloa game is the last time I hear that kind on nonsense.
Aye

Hibbyradge
22-07-2019, 12:23 AM
Booing may be, or may not be, cathartic for the person booing.

It is destructive to everyone else.

mjhibby
22-07-2019, 03:33 AM

Indeed it is but the boo boys think that since they pay their entrance fee they are entitled to do as they please irrelevant of how much it pees off all those around them. Typical of how selfish people in general are becoming. Imho of course.

Captain Trips
22-07-2019, 07:26 AM

I have been to plenty of games were the sound of the booing at end or HT has certainly been in the 1000s. Why is it destructive to "everyone" else who chooses not to? Maybe some agree but just not wish to join in. I do not think its really black and white.

Where is the actual proof of the booing at say HT being destructive? If team cheered off at HT say after a poor half but came back to win would any of it be down to the positive support given when walking off for teamtalk at HT? Im not saying it is right or wrong I am wondering where the proof of this not helping is.

I actually think the only person who might use the booing as anything would be manager during teamtalk.

Diclonius
22-07-2019, 07:35 AM

Nah mate, the fact that I paid an arbitrary sum of money to watch 22 men kick a ball around a field means I can say whatever I want to one of them no matter how aggressive if his ball-kicking performance isn't to my expectations, or if I (as a grown man) have a grudge against him for previous ball-kicking exploits for some godforsaken reason. Free speech, blah blah blah.

Since90+2
22-07-2019, 07:50 AM
The booing wasn't that bad on Saturday ffs. Going by this thread you'd think the team were absolutely slaughtered by the fans. There was some booing at half time but that wasn't entirely undeserved.

Whittaker has had idiots shouting at him since he returned to us. He was decent enough on Saturday, defensively we done ok it was the midfield and forwards that were poor.

Carheenlea
22-07-2019, 08:36 AM
The booing wasn't that bad on Saturday ffs. Going by this thread you'd think the team were absolutely slaughtered by the fans. There was some booing at half time but that wasn't entirely undeserved.

Whittaker has had idiots shouting at him since he returned to us. He was decent enough on Saturday, defensively we done ok it was the midfield and forwards that were poor.

This is pretty much how it was. There doesn’t seem to be a middle ground anymore on forums and social media, just extremities and exaggeration both ways

ekhibee
22-07-2019, 08:44 AM

Whilst I don't agree with singling out Whittaker for booing, the half time stuff is a different matter IMO. Hibs haven't played well pre-season, and I honestly think that nowadays it is unrealistic and naïve to expect the whole crowd to sit back and make no noise after a dreadful 1st half performance like that. Personally I don't boo players, but people being nice and polite about it doesn't always get the message across. Who knows, it might have been directed at the manager who at his press conference seems to think everything is just fine. People will voice their disapproval after a team plays badly, that's human nature. Over the long term the team could pick up and put in some cracking performances- and those people who continue to boo then shouldn't really be at the game in the first place.

munchar
22-07-2019, 08:57 AM

Correct 👏
Booing ANY Hibs player is as bad as cheering on Hearts.
Defo not a true supporter if doing so! We all get frustrated, but usually our wee moans are amongst friends sitting beside us. No matter how bad a player is doing, I’d still clap any player going off. Believe it or not, they’re not trying to play bad.

Keith_M
22-07-2019, 08:59 AM
Doing nothing is the problem that compounds all of these behaviours.

Step away from the Soapbox and think about what you just put together in one group; racism, sectarianism and...booing players at a football match.

I think I'll form a march at the weekend protesting about Anti-Semitism, Homophobia and Jumping the Queue at the Turnstyles.

Hibbyradge
22-07-2019, 09:41 AM
I have been to plenty of games were the sound of the booing at end or HT has certainly been in the 1000s. Why is it destructive to "everyone" else who chooses not to? Maybe some agree but just not wish to join in. I do not think its really black and white.

Where is the actual proof of the booing at say HT being destructive? If team cheered off at HT say after a poor half but came back to win would any of it be down to the positive support given when walking off for teamtalk at HT? Im not saying it is right or wrong I am wondering where the proof of this not helping is.

I actually think the only person who might use the booing as anything would be manager during teamtalk.

I was actually referring to the booing during games, usually directed at individual players.

However, even the booing at half time is damaging, imo. The opposition players hear it and know they've got the crowd on their opponents back.

Players may start playing with fear. I remember watching Hibs lose to Aberdeen with weeks of the season to go. The players were terrified to make a mistake, there was no running off the ball and they all got rid of it as soon as possible. That's when I knew we were going to be relegated.

They were playing scared and the fans had played a part in creating that environment.

Cue the "It wasn't the fans, it was Butcher" replies. Yes, he was the main culprit, but the booing played its part.

However, we've had this discussion many times before and I have no doubt that we'll have it again.

Captain Trips
22-07-2019, 09:57 AM
I was actually referring to the booing during games, usually directed at individual players.

However, even the booing at half time is damaging, imo. The opposition players hear it and know they've got the crowd on their opponents back.

Players may start playing with fear. I remember watching Hibs lose to Aberdeen with weeks of the season to go. The players were terrified to make a mistake, there was no running off the ball and they all got rid of it as soon as possible. That's when I knew we were going to be relegated.

They were playing scared and the fans had played a part in creating that environment.

Cue the "It wasn't the fans, it was Butcher" replies. Yes, he was the main culprit, but the booing played its part.

However, we've had this discussion many times before and I have no doubt that we'll have it again.

Individuals yes, booing I can then say 3-0 v Falkirk and booed then we comeback. Many many factors are at play and I think on occasion it might just be the one thing at the teamtalk that gets them going.

Surely if you cite booing to the Aberdeen game is it not fair to cite the Falkirk game or even Saturday to counter?

Smartie
22-07-2019, 11:00 AM
Individuals yes, booing I can then say 3-0 v Falkirk and booed then we comeback. Many many factors are at play and I think on occasion it might just be the one thing at the teamtalk that gets them going.

Surely if you cite booing to the Aberdeen game is it not fair to cite the Falkirk game or even Saturday to counter?

At the time I knew someone who was on the staff at Hibs and was in the dressing room at HT during the Falkirk game - I asked him what was said to bring about the second half improvement in performance.

He said that Fenlon didn't get the chance to say anything and that the dressing room was like a war zone. Players were absolutely tearing strips off each other, a wee bit of fisticuffs and a whole load of pushing, shoving and screaming in each others faces. There was no change in tactics, the players just went out for the second half absolutely furious and totally pumped up and had sorted it out amongst themselves.

I don't think they needed to be booed for them to realise the first half wasn't good enough.

It's funny how you think it's all about Churchillian speeches and tactical masterplans but then it isn't really.

Captain Trips
22-07-2019, 11:38 AM
At the time I knew someone who was on the staff at Hibs and was in the dressing room at HT during the Falkirk game - I asked him what was said to bring about the second half improvement in performance.

He said that Fenlon didn't get the chance to say anything and that the dressing room was like a war zone. Players were absolutely tearing strips off each other, a wee bit of fisticuffs and a whole load of pushing, shoving and screaming in each others faces. There was no change in tactics, the players just went out for the second half absolutely furious and totally pumped up and had sorted it out amongst themselves.

I don't think they needed to be booed for them to realise the first half wasn't good enough.

It's funny how you think it's all about Churchillian speeches and tactical masterplans but then it isn't really.

It is funny how though it can never seem to be put down to the fans were pissed off so lets sort it as it wasnt good enough. If they boo and we go on to win some other factors come into play to show the booing had nothing to do with it. I think if the players were all fighting maybe if booed it pissed them off more who knows.

HarpLife
22-07-2019, 10:58 PM
Have hated the booing for many a year. Used to be worse before relegation (understandable) but not too bad now. I have long dreaded the day when it comes back for good, it makes Easter Road a horribly embarrassing place to watch football. It's basically pre-season, a game we won. I think Whittaker is past it to put it kindly but I wouldn't boo him. I think I maybe boo'ed after the Hamilton game but that seemed fair enough at the time. Not trying to über-fan here, just don't think it helps anyone.

Captain Trips
23-07-2019, 12:17 AM
Have hated the booing for many a year. Used to be worse before relegation (understandable) but not too bad now. I have long dreaded the day when it comes back for good, it makes Easter Road a horribly embarrassing place to watch football. It's basically pre-season, a game we won. I think Whittaker is past it to put it kindly but I wouldn't boo him. I think I maybe boo'ed after the Hamilton game but that seemed fair enough at the time. Not trying to über-fan here, just don't think it helps anyone.

Why is it embarrassing? The fans of every other club boo at HT if not doing well. No worse here than anywhere else.

superfurryhibby
23-07-2019, 06:08 AM

It’s all about opinions, but I find your statement a bit contradictory. You’re dreading things and finding the booing embarrassing, yet in the next sentence you totally dismiss a guy who always gives 100% when he plays.

Some right delicate wee souls going to the football, maybe they would be better off spending their time knitting and playing a jolly good game of gin rummy then they can let us passionate fans get on with the job of booing, shouting and singing without fear of offending their sensibilities. ‘