PDA

View Full Version : Duff and Gray

Since452
19-07-2019, 02:00 PM
Reading about Ron Gordon and the great position our club is in these days got me thinking about darker times in our history. What ever happened to David Duff and Jim Gray?

Baader
19-07-2019, 02:13 PM
Chucklevision? Duff ended up doing jailtime for fraud a few years after the Hibs saga.

Aim Here
19-07-2019, 02:33 PM
Chucklevision? Duff ended up doing jailtime for fraud a few years after the Hibs saga.

Yeah. Got out of jail, then was hired by the Edinburgh University settlement, drove THAT into bankruptcy with shady financial dealings and was last heard of 4 years ago being prosecuted for fraud *again*, in relation to about £250k being swiped from the Uni. For some reason, the newspapers of record don't actually say whether he was convicted for a second time.

Green_one
19-07-2019, 02:51 PM
Reading about Ron Gordon and the great position our club is in these days got me thinking about darker times in our history. What ever happened to David Duff and Jim Gray?

Let’s not forget Spotty Rowland and his part in it all 💩

Since452
19-07-2019, 03:56 PM
Yeah. Got out of jail, then was hired by the Edinburgh University settlement, drove THAT into bankruptcy with shady financial dealings and was last heard of 4 years ago being prosecuted for fraud *again*, in relation to about £250k being swiped from the Uni. For some reason, the newspapers of record don't actually say whether he was convicted for a second time.

Jeezo. Some character

HoboHarry
19-07-2019, 04:00 PM
Jeezo. Some character
Who cares about that pair of cants. Life time ago and best forgotten...

Lago
19-07-2019, 04:17 PM
Who cares about that pair of cants. Life time ago and best forgotten...

As a warning to all it should never be forgotten.

DarlingtonHibee
19-07-2019, 04:23 PM
As a warning to all it should never be forgotten.

Us of a certain age will never forget.

The only glimmer of light was duff refusing to sell his shares to mercer.

Inconsequential
19-07-2019, 04:31 PM

The only glimmer of light was duff refusing to sell his shares to mercer. That's right although the pair were responsible for the awful mess that Hibs found themselves in Duff refused to sell his shares and that's why we still have a club. Not that I'm praising him in any way he was a character that couldn't be more aptly named.

Lago
19-07-2019, 04:36 PM

The only glimmer of light was duff refusing to sell his shares to mercer.

Totally agree :agree:

Aim Here
19-07-2019, 05:01 PM
Jeezo. Some character

That's not even all. In between coming out of jail the first time, and embezzling from the University of Edinburgh settlement, Duff got involved with out and out gangsters in Bristol as a legal advisor, and ended up in the witness protection program, after his name ended up on a hitlist. His testimony managed to get someone put in jail for a couple of murders - and there's an appeal underway, because people are starting to realise that Duff is a bit of a lying ****.

Duff even complained to the Press Complaints Commission because the Times reported all this, but the PCC told him to GTF.

Some guy, eh?

Fergos
19-07-2019, 05:05 PM
From memory it wasn’t any of those 3 fools who saved us it was the wife of one of them who refused to sell her share of the shares, that’s what made the deal fall apart and thankfully so.

The darkest time during my time supporting our great club but it galvanised us somewhat culminating in the skol cup win in 91.

I for one one will never forget however, and none of us should. Still get emotional thinking about that time.

GGTTH.

DarlingtonHibee
19-07-2019, 05:07 PM
From memory it wasn’t any of those 3 fools who saved us it was the wife of one of them who refused to sell her share of the shares, that’s what made the deal fall apart and thankfully so.

The darkest time during my time supporting our great club but it galvanised us somewhat culminating in the skol cup win in 91.

I for one one will never forget however, and none of us should. Still get emotional thinking about that time.

GGTTH.

Both duff and Sheila Rowland, his ex wife refused to sell.

hibbyfraelibby
19-07-2019, 05:09 PM
Gray was the Hibby and a bit of a patsy in the whole thing. His sister had married Gray. Met him a few times and genuinely seemed out of his depth but not crooked.

BILLYHIBS
19-07-2019, 05:15 PM
Big debt owed to Sheila Rowland

She refused to sell her shares along with Duff

The Directors rejected Mercer’s take over bid 4-2

Rowland and James for

Duff Gray Munro and Sheila Rowland against

Speedway
19-07-2019, 05:21 PM
Jim Gray today: https://www.sivessurfacing.com/meet-the-team/

Keith_M
19-07-2019, 05:22 PM
Didn't that shyster Rowland end up being Treasurer of the Tory party?

weecounty hibby
19-07-2019, 05:23 PM
Was a hard time to be a Hibby. Der Hun were spending millions, hearts were paying way beyond their means and other clubs were also spending money they just did not have. We had been brutal for the best part of 15 years or so and the club were desperate. It was an obvious place for a bunch of crooks to look for an easy (or so they thought) killing. Every one of them is as dodgy as **** in one way or another. Sheila Rowland gets a wee bit of credit. Duff gets none as it was him that had put us there

Fergos
19-07-2019, 05:27 PM
Both duff and Sheila Rowland, his ex wife refused to sell.

I stand partially corrected. Still don’t like him!

GGTTH

wallpaperman
19-07-2019, 05:28 PM
Jim Gray today: https://www.sivessurfacing.com/meet-the-team/

Wow, would never have recognised him.

Wonder if he ever goes to Easter Road or if he just thinks it’s for the best not to?

degenerated
19-07-2019, 05:29 PM
Chucklevision? Duff ended up doing jailtime for fraud a few years after the Hibs saga.Duff is in witness protection after a hit was put out on him a few years back. Whilst in the pokey he got in tow with some pretty heavy types and was involved in all sorts.

The Bristol cable did a four part story which covered it, first part below

https://thebristolcable.org/series/cornerman/episode/unmasking-the-cornerman/

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

gringojoe
19-07-2019, 05:47 PM
[QUOTE=Keith_M;5850922]Didn't that shyster Rowland end up being Treasurer of the Tory party?[/QUOTE

And now sits in the House of Lords. Come the revolution ....

Pretty Boy
19-07-2019, 06:27 PM
https://youtu.be/5qS6VBho4Lo

Quite an interesting watch from the time for anyone with a spare half hour.

Who was Ramsay Dalgety? Until I watched the doc above fairly recently it wasn't a name I can recall seeing mentioned in all the stories of the time?

The 90+2
19-07-2019, 07:15 PM

Who was Ramsay Dalgety? Until I watched the doc above fairly recently it wasn't a name I can recall seeing mentioned in all the stories of the time?

Thanks for that!

Since452
19-07-2019, 07:22 PM

Good watch cheers

Wakeyhibee
19-07-2019, 07:25 PM

Very interesting watch. Duff comes across as extremely gullible and not very astute business wise. Maybe that's how the other stories above have come about.

Thanks for the share PB

jgl07
19-07-2019, 08:13 PM
Didn't that shyster Rowland end up being Treasurer of the Tory party?
Doesn’t surprise me one bit!

sauzee6_2
19-07-2019, 08:18 PM

Interesting watch.

Summaries how far we’ve come and how complicated the football club was in those days. What struck me the most was how Duff referred to Hibs as ‘the company / business’ never the football club.

I remember the whole episode well, to the extent my blood still boils when I see / hear the prick mercer!

Islington Hibs
19-07-2019, 08:21 PM

Ramsay Dalgetty was a colourful Hibs supporting QC who was vice chairman of the Shareholders Association and had met several times with the Association with Duff and Gray. Well conected and was involved behind the sceens trying to get investors to thwart Mercer. Ultimately became a High Court Judge in Tonga I think!

jgl07
19-07-2019, 08:39 PM
The Hearts faithful now appear to revere Mercer. Somewhat different when he sold out his shareholding to Robinson and that numpty Estate Agent whose name escapes me. At one stage Mercer was threatening to take the pair of them to court over payments. He was persona non grata down Gorgie those days.

Mercer attempted to do what no football owner in the UK has ever attempted in many decades and buy up his rivals to shut them down.

Imagine the furore if Villa bought up Birmingham City to close them down or Palace bought up Charlton. Is there a pups chance that the English football authorities would accept that? Apparently it was ok in Scotland.

BILLYHIBS
19-07-2019, 08:51 PM
The Hearts faithful now appear to revere Mercer. Somewhat different when he sold out his shareholding to Robinson and that numpty Estate Agent whose name escapes me. At one stage Mercer was threatening to take the pair of them to court over payments. He was persona non grata down Gorgie those days.

Mercer attempted to do what no football owner in the UK has ever attempted in many decades and buy up his rivals to shut them down.

Imagine the furore if Villa bought up Birmingham City to close them down or Palace bought up Charlton. Is there a pups chance that the English football authorities would accept that? Apparently it was ok in Scotland.
Leslie Deans

Pagan Hibernia
19-07-2019, 08:58 PM
The Hearts faithful now appear to revere Mercer. Somewhat different when he sold out his shareholding to Robinson and that numpty Estate Agent whose name escapes me. At one stage Mercer was threatening to take the pair of them to court over payments. He was persona non grata down Gorgie those days

historical ‘revisionism’ is what that lot do best. Don’t you know Mercer saved Hibs? That’s one of their favourites :rolleyes:

NAE NOOKIE
19-07-2019, 09:10 PM
Ramsay Dalgetty was a colourful Hibs supporting QC who was vice chairman of the Shareholders Association and had met several times with the Association with Duff and Gray. Well conected and was involved behind the sceens trying to get investors to thwart Mercer. Ultimately became a High Court Judge in Tonga I think!

I've heard Hibs fans call Hearts all sort over the years, think of a derogatory term and we've used it … but in all those years I've never heard disdain for Hearts expressed so eloquently as the inflection of Ramsay Dalgetty's voice in the documentary when he says "Heart of Midlowthian" as if the very words leave a bad taste in his mouth :greengrin

h1bs4life
19-07-2019, 09:25 PM

Good watch , was 28 at the time and a member of the Hibs club sure Duff appeared at the club the night it was announced the FTB withdrew his bid. Very difficult time to be a Hibs fan , lots of us turned up outside the stand the day it was announced not knowing what was going on then marching round to the Hibs club where Hands of Hibs started. Hibs fans definitely pulled together , lots of people put a lot of effort in to saving, the club, Hands of Hibs , the rally at Easter Road , people threatening to close there accounts with the Bank. There was a big marquee in Princess street don't know they managed but someone painted Mercer must die on it. Hibs fans did everything they could to save the club. Any youngsters should watch the programme as well as the team that wouldn't die and see how bad it was then to where we are now and why we should have a stand named after Sir Tom Farmer. The sight of Mercer still makes my blood boil sure he pissed of to France for a while then came back to pop his clogs and is now down in hell with other TB Thatcher.

19-07-2019, 10:04 PM

Thanks for posting this. Really fascinating. Mercer seems to have similar mannerisms to Levein in a peculiar way.

Forza Fred
20-07-2019, 02:00 AM
Gray was the Hibby and a bit of a patsy in the whole thing. His sister had married Gray. Met him a few times and genuinely seemed out of his depth but not crooked.

Many years ago I spoke to an ex Hibs director of that troubled time, and he basically said that while Duff was undoubtedly a crook he felt sorry for Jim Gray who was a decent bloke, but got caught up in his brother in law’s wake.

FilipinoHibs
20-07-2019, 02:21 AM
Interesting watch.

Summaries how far we’ve come and how complicated the football club was in those days. What struck me the most was how Duff referred to Hibs as ‘the company / business’ never the football club.

I remember the whole episode well, to the extent my blood still boils when I see / hear the prick mercer!

Yes and sends a shiver down your spine. Really brings it home what Farmer did for us. The saving but also our transformation to where we are now.

FilipinoHibs
20-07-2019, 02:23 AM
Good watch , was 28 at the time and a member of the Hibs club sure Duff appeared at the club the night it was announced the FTB withdrew his bid. Very difficult time to be a Hibs fan , lots of us turned up outside the stand the day it was announced not knowing what was going on then marching round to the Hibs club where Hands of Hibs started. Hibs fans definitely pulled together , lots of people put a lot of effort in to saving, the club, Hands of Hibs , the rally at Easter Road , people threatening to close there accounts with the Bank. There was a big marquee in Princess street don't know they managed but someone painted Mercer must die on it. Hibs fans did everything they could to save the club. Any youngsters should watch the programme as well as the team that wouldn't die and see how bad it was then to where we are now and why we should have a stand named after Sir Tom Farmer. The sight of Mercer still makes my blood boil sure he pissed of to France for a while then came back to pop his clogs and is now down in hell with other TB Thatcher.

Had a mate who was a Hibs casual and persuaded me to join a gang that jump Mercer's security and spray paint his house. Emotional times.

FilipinoHibs
20-07-2019, 02:28 AM
Leslie Deans

There were fraud claims around his estate agent business but nothing was proved. Money laundering but case dropped after three years because of lack of evidence.

MSK
20-07-2019, 05:53 AM
Had a mate who was a Hibs casual and persuaded me to join a gang that jump Mercer's security and spray paint his house. Emotional times.I believe Police Scotland are still scouring photos of that event in the hope of making some arrests 🤭

FilipinoHibs
20-07-2019, 06:02 AM
I believe Police Scotland are still scouring photos of that event in the hope of making some arrests 🤭

I have changed a lot in those years. I am in the Philippines and protected by wife's family private militia so feel quite safe. But a very funny post.

BILLYHIBS
20-07-2019, 07:15 AM
I believe Police Scotland are still scouring photos of that event in the hope of making some arrests 🤭
Naw they have moved on to 21/5/16 :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
20-07-2019, 07:20 AM

Thanks for posting fascinating watch

Never thought I would feel sorry for Duff. :rolleyes:

Makes you realise what STF did for us

We were a baw hair away from extinction

God bless him!

scoopyboy
20-07-2019, 07:36 AM
I still have all the paperwork concerned with the bid.

Quite a few publications sent from both sides.

It was a real rollercoaster and a time I will never forget.

hibbyfraelibby
20-07-2019, 07:47 AM
Had a mate who was a Hibs casual and persuaded me to join a gang that jump Mercer's security and spray paint his house. Emotional times.

No-one was ever done for that and you've just admitted to it. Police Scotland will be approaching the admins shortly for your IP address and details. Its called Hibssing it I believe😉

Peevemor
20-07-2019, 07:48 AM
For those interested, here's a great site with some newspaper cuttings from the time.

https://thehiblog.wordpress.com/hiblog-season-by-season/hands-off-hibs-the-summer-of-1990/

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-07-2019, 08:17 AM
There were fraud claims around his estate agent business but nothing was proved. Money laundering but case dropped after three years because of lack of evidence.

A masonic cover up if ever there was one.

Crunchie
20-07-2019, 08:28 AM

Turbulent times indeed, I heard it on the radio and went up with a few mates at the time. We all stood numb at first then the chanting and singing started and we were all told to go round to the Hibs club. They tried to placate us with a rally in a couple of weeks time i think they said, but were quickly shouted down and the rally at ER was hastily arranged, the rest is history as they say.

I used to hate Thatcher and Mercer both, but now that I've mellowed with age, i firmly believe Mercer inadvertently did us a good turn. As for Thatcher, she brought in the law that allowed many working class families to own their own homes which could never have been the case otherwise, to that end i for one am grateful.

southsider
20-07-2019, 08:59 AM
I'm not. P[eased to have outlived these two. I will hate the two of them until my last breath. Tramp the dirt dowm seems appropriate for them both. May meet them both in Hell.

Eyrie
20-07-2019, 09:27 AM
No-one was ever done for that and you've just admitted to it. Police Scotland will be approaching the admins shortly for your IP address and details. Its called Hibssing it I believe😉

SingHibs will be safe. Police Scotland will jambottle the investigation when they find out where he lives.

Since452
20-07-2019, 09:33 AM
Think it's always important to remember that time occasionally. Keeps everything in perspective. I was only 6 when my dad took me to the Hands off Hibs rally but i still remember the power and emotion of it all even though i didn't really understand what was happening at that age. First and only time i ever saw my dad cry.

southsider
20-07-2019, 09:38 AM
Joe Baker getting down from the stage on his hands and knees kissing the Easter Road pitch. Another taken far too young. RIP, Joe. We should name a stand or even a lounge after him.

Keith_M
20-07-2019, 09:46 AM
Turbulent times indeed, I heard it on the radio and went up with a few mates at the time. We all stood numb at first then the chanting and singing started and we were all told to go round to the Hibs club. They tried to placate us with a rally in a couple of weeks time i think they said, but were quickly shouted down and the rally at ER was hastily arranged, the rest is history as they say.

I used to hate Thatcher and Mercer both, but now that I've mellowed with age, i firmly believe Mercer inadvertently did us a good turn. As for Thatcher, she brought in the law that allowed many working class families to own their own homes which could never have been the case otherwise, to that end i for one am grateful.

She killed off the possibility of ordinary, working class people getting decent Council Housing and ensured future generations would have the choice of either buying ridiculously expensive homes or paying over the odds to rent from shyster landlords .......including many who previously bought their council homes but lost their jobs, in large part due to her economic policies, and had to sell the houses to shysters landlords

Yes indeed, we have so much to be thankful for

:rolleyes:

Steve-O
20-07-2019, 09:51 AM

Think you’re right about Dalgety. Bizarrely, whilst working for the Parole Board here in Wellington, ‘Lord’ Dalgety as he is now, was a guest of the Chairman of the Board. Somehow, I ended up with the task of driving him from the prison (he was visiting and watching some parole hearings) back into town and we did talk about Hibs and he mentioned his involvement around that time.! Surreal thinking back on it - this was about 9 years ago now probably.

FilipinoHibs
20-07-2019, 09:56 AM

Waiting for them in the mountains of the Sierra Madre with the family militia😎

FilipinoHibs
20-07-2019, 09:58 AM
Joe Baker getting down from the stage on his hands and knees kissing the Easter Road pitch. Another taken far too young. RIP, Joe. We should name a stand or even a lounge after him.

Yes that was a very emotional moment. We should never forget. Getting angry again with all the memories coming back.

FilipinoHibs
20-07-2019, 10:01 AM
She killed off the possibility of ordinary, working class people getting decent Council Housing and ensured future generations would have the choice of either buying ridiculously expensive homes or paying over the odds to rent from shyster landlords .......including many who previously bought their council homes but lost their jobs, in large part due to her economic policies, and had to sell the houses to shysters landlords

Yes indeed, we have so much to be thankful for

:rolleyes:

Here here. Used the oil revenues for tax cuts and gave the oil fields away to multi nationals.Husband Dennis Chairman of Burmah Oil.

FilipinoHibs
20-07-2019, 10:06 AM
I worked for an investment bank in Edinburgh at the time. I was junior but invited to Scottish Business dinner. Tom Farmer was there. After a few drinks I approached him and said "Can you save Hibs?" He said you must be the one thousandth person to ask me that. I replied so you are going to then. He replied we will see son.

Superfurry72
20-07-2019, 10:14 AM
A few years after the Mercer takeover madness, I went into an off-licence not far away from the stadium and Jim Gray, to my astonishment, was working in there...now I’m even wondering if I imagined it!!

FilipinoHibs
20-07-2019, 10:18 AM
A few years after the Mercer takeover madness, I went into an off-licence not far away from the stadium and Jim Gray, to my astonishment, was working in there...now I’m even wondering if I imagined it!!

There was a lot of strong drugs around during that period.

MSK
20-07-2019, 11:25 AM
A few years after the Mercer takeover madness, I went into an off-licence not far away from the stadium and Jim Gray, to my astonishment, was working in there...now I’m even wondering if I imagined it!!Im sure Gray had some involvement in an off sales business, possibly in Albert Street

Peevemor
20-07-2019, 11:28 AM
Im sure Gray had some involvement in an off sales business, possibly in Albert StreetThe only one that I remember in Albert Street was Fairbairns, which I think was a family business.

southsider
20-07-2019, 11:33 AM
The only one that I remember in Albert Street was Fairbairns, which I think was a family business.

That was bought by Gray. Where he got the money is the question.

Peevemor
20-07-2019, 11:35 AM
That was bought by Gray. Where he got the money is the question.I wasn't aware of that. It didn't last very long under him in that case.

Is It On....
21-07-2019, 12:07 AM
Let’s not forget Spotty Rowland and his part in it all 💩

Wasn't his (ex) wife a key person in voting against Wallet Mercenary ?

FilipinoHibs
21-07-2019, 12:14 AM
Wasn't his (ex) wife a key person in voting against Wallet Mercenary ?

Earlier in the thread - Rowland's estranged wife Shelia voted against.

Is It On....
21-07-2019, 03:26 AM
Earlier in the thread - Rowland's estranged wife Shelia voted against.

Oops..must have missed that. I also voted against with my c400 shares...that Mr Farmer [as he was then] gave back to me [us] when he bought the club. I still have the original certificate from the IPO somewhere..

Deansy
21-07-2019, 06:45 AM
Duff is in witness protection after a hit was put out on him a few years back. Whilst in the pokey he got in tow with some pretty heavy types and was involved in all sorts.

The Bristol cable did a four part story which covered it, first part below

https://thebristolcable.org/series/cornerman/episode/unmasking-the-cornerman/

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cheers for that, very interesting read ! With Duff's 'character' I'd bet he finds 'Sleeping' a bit of a problem as it looks like some really heavy-duty gansters he was involved with !

From his Wiki-page -

'On 26 February Lord Dalgety, the Secretary of the Shipping Corporation of Polynesia Ltd, was arrested for malfeasance after giving evidence to the Commission of Inquiry into the sinking of the ferry MV Princess Ashika (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Princess_Ashika)'

Still, at least none of our past and present members of the board are anywhere near as shady as some of them involved with the Hun !

On Mercer, can someone with a better memory than mine confirm this - was there a bomb found in his car or was it just a threat/rumour ?

Barney McGrew
21-07-2019, 08:24 AM

Just listening to that fat Tory prick Mercer joke about the bid makes my blood boil.

heretoday
21-07-2019, 08:30 AM
The only one that I remember in Albert Street was Fairbairns, which I think was a family business.

Fairbairns! :greengrin Many's the time we queued up there for our pally ally. And we were grateful.

HIBERNIAN-0762
21-07-2019, 09:15 AM
I wasn't aware of that. It didn't last very long under him in that case.

He helped serve me one new years eve and the queues were a mile long outside.

Baldy Foghorn
21-07-2019, 09:18 AM
Horrible time in our great history, a rollercoaster ride. Thankful that we are stil here today.

Remember meeting Duff and Gray as they stood in the terraing one match. Who would have thought the way things would play out.

Speedway
21-07-2019, 11:11 AM
If Kenny Waugh offered £4.2m just for the football club, never mind Avon Inns, how come STF became preferred bidder?

Did he put up that much money to buy the club from the receiver?

1875STEVE
21-07-2019, 01:15 PM
One google search of Ramsay Dalgety

https://www.scotsman.com/news-2-15012/scottish-qc-under-investigation-in-tonga-over-pension-fund-1-4598680

The folk that used to be the board of our football club...... :rolleyes:

Thank god for Sir Tom.

Since452
21-07-2019, 01:57 PM
Just listening to that fat Tory prick Mercer joke about the bid makes my blood boil.

He really was a total ****

Iggy Pope
21-07-2019, 02:02 PM

I remember they managed to get MERCER MUST DIE in huge letters on top of a marquee in Princes Street Gardens and visible to every bus that went along Princes Street. Difficult to argue with the sentiment at that time.

Pagan Hibernia
21-07-2019, 07:59 PM

“I’ve had a lot of enjoyment out of it.. it really has been great fun”

What an absolute ****. Good riddance.

ben johnson
23-07-2019, 08:09 AM
“I’ve had a lot of enjoyment out of it.. it really has been great fun”

What an absolute ****. Good riddance.

The extremely smug “ would you play poker with me “ at the end showed him in his true light.
Unfortunately for him a better poker player with deeper pockets was about to join the game

Forza Fred
23-07-2019, 08:26 AM

He bought the legendary Fairbairns on the corner of Albert st and Leith Walk

Peevemor
23-07-2019, 08:31 AM
He bought the legendary Fairbairns on the corner of Albert st and Leith Walk

Albert Street & Murano Place was it not?

Turnbullsmate
26-07-2019, 10:35 AM
Duff was in fact a pretty hardcore hibby....... i attended Trinity Academy at the same time as him. He was invited to join us on the Pentland bus but chose to travel everywhere home and away by train on his own. Spoke to him at Motherwell when he "introduced" himself to the travelling support. He was warned that day not to **** our club up.

Fact is he was naive and got in over his head. As for Gray....got himself a nice little pad up East Craigs way and and did ok for himself while duff took the bullets.

Pity really