PDA

View Full Version : Gigs You Wish You Had Been At

Cataplana
18-07-2019, 06:54 PM
Apologies if there is a thread on this topic.

If you could go back in time and go to a gig, which one would you chose, and why?

I would like to go back to Dylan's gig at the Manchester Free Trade Hall, and watch the people in the duffel coats getting more and more worked up at his electric guitar set. I would be on tenterhooks waiting for the famous "Judas" comment, and would like to be the first to explain that they had used Dylan, just as much as he used them.

Greentinted
18-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Live Aid.
Still remember sitting in on a roasting day watching it on my wee black and white porty telly.
Never really realised how iconic it was but knew it was a one-off. (I was only 16 and not really musically sophisticated)

wpj
18-07-2019, 08:33 PM
Probably one of the Sun Records tours, Elvis, Johnny Cash, carl Perkins, Jerry Lee etc.
Many many more gigs as well

Ryan91
18-07-2019, 08:35 PM
I was supposed to go and see Lower than Atlantis at the end of the 17/18 season, I got a ticket for the Tynecastle derby, forgetting that I had a ticket to their gig, I went to the game instead, nae joy on that front, but suspect that the gig may have proved to be more enjoyable.

Of course, now they've decided to call it a day, and I never got to see them properly.

Failing that, any Queen gig at any point in time prior to the passing of Freddie Mercury - course that would mean going back to a time before I was born, so if we're talking within your own lifetime, that one's not gonna fly.

Smartie
19-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Spike Island.

By all accounts it was terrible in just about every way, but it was era defining and it was an era I wish I had been part of.

And most folk were so mangled they didn't notice the terribleness.

Hermit Crab
19-07-2019, 03:06 AM
Oasis at Knebworth or Maine Road in 96.

MagicSwirlingShip
19-07-2019, 03:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNfHoPIxhXM

Frazerbob
19-07-2019, 09:48 AM
Depeche Mode at The Rose Bowl, Pasadena 1989 that was filmed as part of their 101 documentary. Iconic gig and film.

heretoday
19-07-2019, 09:58 AM
Bob Blackman singing Mule Train live.

stoneyburn hibs
19-07-2019, 10:19 AM
Simple Minds at Le Zenith Paris 1986.
Live in the City of Light tour.

Bangkok Hibby
19-07-2019, 10:24 AM
Peter Frampton at Winterland, San Francisco 1975

Cataplana
19-07-2019, 11:09 AM
Second choice: any concert by Jacques Brel, firstly to hear and see him, but also to discuss how significant his music would be after his death.

The Modfather
19-07-2019, 12:24 PM
Second choice: any concert by Jacques Brel, firstly to hear and see him, but also to discuss how significant his music would be after his death.

I went to see something about him at the festival a number of years ago, was a bit weird and didn’t really know what was going on in between the songs but enjoyed it nonetheless. I love the song “Next” that The Sensational Alex Harvey Band covered, the writing is hilarious. About a young guy in the army losing his virginity in one of the armies lady of the night tents, funny and like the digs at the French, him being a Belgian.

The Modfather
19-07-2019, 12:25 PM
Any gig by The Jam but particularly their farewell gig at Brighton.

Got to add The Beatles & The Who in there as well with the full band.

Wembley67
19-07-2019, 12:53 PM
Jean Michele Jarre in Moscow 1997...firstly the guy is a true pioneer of electro and being in a crowd of 3.5 million - I couldn't even imagine!

Oh and AC/DC doing Rio looked incredible as well :greengrin

Zazu62
19-07-2019, 01:09 PM
Daft Punk Rockness ‘07

weecounty hibby
19-07-2019, 03:36 PM
Beatles gig anywhere.
Led Zeppelin, seen Page & Plant but would have loved to see the whole band
Rolling Stones Hyde Park.
Woodstock
AC/DC at the Apollo in 1978 for when "If you want blood" was recorded.
California Jam '74
Good question and there are probably hundreds more great rock concerts that I'd loved to have been at.
True story - one of my mates was at Knebworth in 79 where led Zeppelin played their last ever concert. Slept through the whole thing as he was so stoned!!!

Captain Trips
19-07-2019, 03:46 PM
Depeche Mode at The Rose Bowl, Pasadena 1989 that was filmed as part of their 101 documentary. Iconic gig and film.

That would also have been my pick. Should have a 30th anniversary.

Jones28
19-07-2019, 08:22 PM
Green Day on their 2005 tour, they played to 120,000 people over two nights at the MK bowl and it looked incredible.

Onceinawhile
19-07-2019, 08:35 PM
Green Day on their 2005 tour, they played to 120,000 people over two nights at the MK bowl and it looked incredible.

That the American idiot tour?
Saw them at titp that year and wasn't hugely impressed, though tbf, I felt the same about placebo and now I'm kicking myself I didn't pay more attention to them.

For me, Eminem at Hampden.

Wasn't bothered about Eminem but cypress hill and Xzibit wee supporting and all my mates were there, whilst I was in France.

Would have been c. 2005/06

Frazerbob
19-07-2019, 08:41 PM
Another gig I’d love to go back to was one I was actually at.....Prince at the O2 in 2007. I missed Scotland winning in France to attend the gig. Only Scotland game I missed that campaign. It was worth it, incredible gig.

Jones28
19-07-2019, 09:28 PM
That the American idiot tour?
Saw them at titp that year and wasn't hugely impressed, though tbf, I felt the same about placebo and now I'm kicking myself I didn't pay more attention to them.

For me, Eminem at Hampden.

Wasn't bothered about Eminem but cypress hill and Xzibit wee supporting and all my mates were there, whilst I was in France.

Would have been c. 2005/06

Have you ever watched Bullet in a bible? Holy **** man, give that a go.

I think seeing bands at festivals sometimes dilutes the atmosphere - a lot of people would go and see them because they’re the headliner or whatever, but a individual band doing a gig is a different level.

James310
20-07-2019, 07:46 PM
Oasis at Knebworth or Maine Road in 96.

Was at Knebworth on the Saturday. Got lucky as there was a girl who could not make it and there was 2 tickets plus a bus from York going spare, cost was £40 for bus and ticket I think. So me and my mate headed down to York, the bus left at 6am and got down to Knebworth about noon I believe. We managed to get in the main pit section, so not the pit right at the front but the one behind, so pretty close and in an area where the numbers were restricted so it was not a free for all. The line up was:

Bootleg Beatles
Chemical Brothers (who not many had heard of at the time)
Ocean Colour Scene
Manic Street Preachers
Prodigy (who were amazing and really got the place going)
Oasis

I remember bits and bobs but to me it was he height of the Britpop movement and the top for Oasis, it was downhill for them after that. Noel Gallagher described it as the last great gathering of young people before the age of the internet, I like that and bore my friends to this day with the story of how I was there.

The film Supersonic is a great documentary that leads up to Knebworth.

Johnny Clash
21-07-2019, 08:39 AM
The Sex Pistols gig at Manchester's Lesser Free Trade Hall in June 1976:
Only about 40 people there but loads went on to form their own bands (Joy Division, Buzzcocks etc)

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-07-2019, 08:55 AM
Bob Marley at Smile Jamaica. The Natty Dread tour had been very well received and he was on an upwards trajectory with Rastaman Vibration. All the events that are associated with Smile Jamaica encapsulate for me , the essence of protest music. That concert changed a country.

Dalianwanda
01-08-2019, 09:09 AM
Spike Island.

By all accounts it was terrible in just about every way, but it was era defining and it was an era I wish I had been part of.

And most folk were so mangled they didn't notice the terribleness.

I had a ticket for that and couldnt make it....Cant remember what was excuse but it couldnt have been a good one as still kicking myself now.

Northernhibee
01-08-2019, 01:33 PM
Daft Punk Rockness ‘07

I was at that festival and was there to see the Manics who they were clashing with.

No regrets either, bloody love the Manic Street Preachers :agree:

ACLeith
01-08-2019, 05:02 PM
February 2nd 1959, Surf Ballroom, Clear Lake. I would have organised a gang to stop Buddy getting on that plane at any cost!

beensaidbefore
02-08-2019, 05:15 PM
Bob Marley at Smile Jamaica. The Natty Dread tour had been very well received and he was on an upwards trajectory with Rastaman Vibration. All the events that are associated with Smile Jamaica encapsulate for me , the essence of protest music. That concert changed a country.

:aok:

Cataplana
05-08-2019, 03:53 PM
February 2nd 1959, Surf Ballroom, Clear Lake. I would have organised a gang to stop Buddy getting on that plane at any cost!

Not so sure, have you heard Raining in My Heart? Die young stay pretty.

Besides, if Buddy had lived, the Beatles would never ha r happened.

Cataplana
05-08-2019, 03:54 PM
The Sex Pistols gig at Manchester's Lesser Free Trade Hall in June 1976:
Only about 40 people there but loads went on to form their own bands (Joy Division, Buzzcocks etc)

I think it would be more interesting spotting the audience members, than the Pistols gig.

Cataplana
05-08-2019, 03:57 PM
I went to see something about him at the festival a number of years ago, was a bit weird and didn’t really know what was going on in between the songs but enjoyed it nonetheless. I love the song “Next” that The Sensational Alex Harvey Band covered, the writing is hilarious. About a young guy in the army losing his virginity in one of the armies lady of the night tents, funny and like the digs at the French, him being a Belgian.

Alex Harvey got that song, almost as well as Brel, in Au Suivant.

It was almost compulsory for any art school band in the 70s to do a Brel song. In addition Scott Walker was a massive fan.

SteveHFC
05-08-2019, 04:35 PM
Live Aid 85.