PDA

View Full Version : Players who should have done better

18-07-2019, 04:56 PM
The obvious ones that spring to mind for me are Riordan and O'Connor. Two absolutely cracking players in their day but never ended up reaching the heights they should have done. Had better decisions been made and they'd stayed away from some of the nonsense they could have been Premier League class and had a lot more caps for Scotland.

Many of the younger laddies as well, perhaps not the calibre of player as Riordan and O'Connor but still could have been a bit more successful. Alex Harris broke into the first team and everyone thought we had a wonderkid on our hands, his performance v Falkirk in the 2013 SC semi was unreal but after he came back from what was albeit a pretty horrible injury, he was just never the same. Always felt he looked a bit timid when he came back, which may well have been the psychological effect from the injury right enough. Danny Handling as well is another one who I think liked the lifestyle of a football player (smart clothes and flash spending etc) but I don't think was dedicated enough to work hard. Heard from a pretty reliable source that Danny was a bit more interested in going out drinking with his pals. I was never a massive Handling fan as always felt he was a bit light weight but who knows how he might have turned out had he given a bit more commitment to his fitness and lifestyle.

The 90+2
18-07-2019, 04:58 PM
Mark Dempsey.

Northernhibee
18-07-2019, 05:00 PM
Leigh. Much more potential than Celtic.

Northernhibee
18-07-2019, 05:01 PM
Also, Alex Harris. Lost something when injured but for 3 months he looked the real deal.

truehibernian
18-07-2019, 05:09 PM
Callum Booth - watched him as a youngster and breaking into the side and what a player and talent he was. Perhaps confidence was knocked and perhaps timing didn't help (coming into a poor Hibs side and era). But that lad could play.

I'd also add Sean Welsh to the list. Again, timing is everything in football but he was a terrific young player.

Wakeyhibee
18-07-2019, 05:09 PM
I've no idea if injury blighted his career after he left Hibs but I liked Jay Shields, industrious tough tackler. I was surprised he never made it in the championship or in the lower reaches, maybe someone can enlighten me.

Saint Hibee
18-07-2019, 05:10 PM
Sam Stanton. Best player on the park in a 1-0 victory over Celtic a few years back.

easty
18-07-2019, 05:15 PM
I've no idea if injury blighted his career after he left Hibs but I liked Jay Shields, industrious tough tackler. I was surprised he never made it in the championship or in the lower reaches, maybe someone can enlighten me.

I was amazed so many folk rated him. I didn’t see it at all. Plenty heart and loved a tackle, but looked well out of place to me.

Pete
18-07-2019, 05:16 PM
Jamie McCluskey was one of the most skilful players from that era. Waste.

Non Hibs is Chris Johnston from Kilmarnock. Burst onto the scene but last seen in the fourth division or something.

Since452
18-07-2019, 05:17 PM
Joe Newell 😉

NC1875
18-07-2019, 05:17 PM

Was on a building site tiling a job I was on few months back.

Onceinawhile
18-07-2019, 05:18 PM
Garry o Connor played and scored for Scotland, played and scored in the English premiership, including at the Emirates, won a cup in Russia and made a ton of money.

How much are folk expecting him to have achieved that he's "under achieved".

JDT
18-07-2019, 05:19 PM

Played for Newtongrange Star a season or so ago

truehibernian
18-07-2019, 05:24 PM
Played for Newtongrange Star a season or so ago

......and had the worst car I've ever seen a player drive :greengrin a Suzuki Vitara thing that bounced on the road more than the seats in an Austin Allegro :greengrin

Good wee player was Jay :aok:

CockneyRebel
18-07-2019, 05:25 PM
Stokes, with the right attitude and commitment, could have played in the EPL for a decent club. Pure waste.

Whatever happened to Benjie? I just watched the highlights of the cup game where he scored two crackers against Aberdeen. On his day he was a very skilful player but didn't turn it on often enough.

G B Young
18-07-2019, 05:25 PM
I could probably name dozens if I took the time required to think about it, but off the top of my head...

Alex Harris
Anthony Stokes (in his final spell with us)
Danny Swanson
Mark McGraw
John Brogan (going back a bit!)

CockneyRebel
18-07-2019, 05:29 PM
/
Garry o Connor played and scored for Scotland, played and scored in the English premiership, including at the Emirates, won a cup in Russia and made a ton of money.

A bit of length to his career? If your post is not tongue in cheek you must realise he had it all in his own hands and he *ucked it up. Most of his "ton of money" went up his nose.

18-07-2019, 05:29 PM

True, he does have success to look back on but Gary is the first to admit that he under achieved, he said so in the pre 2016 SC final interview he did for Sportscene. He got in with the wrong crowd, had a lot of hangers on and the money/limelight went to his head then of course there was all the nonsense with drugs etc.

If he'd listened to better advice and kept himself away from all the carry on then he would have had a brilliant and far longer career IMO.

DH1875
18-07-2019, 05:34 PM
Graham Love.

Chris Reid.

18-07-2019, 05:35 PM
Stokes, with the right attitude and commitment, could have played in the EPL for a decent club. Pure waste.

Whatever happened to Benjie? I just watched the highlights of the cup game where he scored two crackers against Aberdeen. On his day he was a very skilful player but didn't turn it on often enough.

Stokes' attitude never bettered with age unfortunately, he never matured. With the right attitude he's another one that would have gone onto better things.

Brilliant player on his day but a stinking attitude. Too busy swaggering about thinking he was Billy Baws and that he could do whatever he wanted.

Shame because his goals in the final make him a hibs hero, its just a shame his time at hibs ended under a dark cloud but you cant have someone causing trouble and thinking theyre bigger and better than everyone else. That's toxic to have in a dressing room.

truehibernian
18-07-2019, 05:38 PM
Graham Love.

Chris Reid.

Think Chris worked as a security guard with one of the big stores after football - nice lad :aok: year below me at Hutchy.

SquashedFrogg
18-07-2019, 05:42 PM
/

A bit of length to his career? If your post is not tongue in cheek you must realise he had it all in his own hands and he *ucked it up. Most of his "ton of money" went up his nose.

Slight exaggeration with your last sentence.

Deansy
18-07-2019, 06:02 PM
The obvious ones that spring to mind for me are Riordan and O'Connor. Two absolutely cracking players in their day but never ended up reaching the heights they should have done. Had better decisions been made and they'd stayed away from some of the nonsense they could have been Premier League class and had a lot more caps for Scotland.

Many of the younger laddies as well, perhaps not the calibre of player as Riordan and O'Connor but still could have been a bit more successful. Alex Harris broke into the first team and everyone thought we had a wonderkid on our hands, his performance v Falkirk in the 2013 SC semi was unreal but after he came back from what was albeit a pretty horrible injury, he was just never the same. Always felt he looked a bit timid when he came back, which may well have been the psychological effect from the injury right enough. Danny Handling as well is another one who I think liked the lifestyle of a football player (smart clothes and flash spending etc) but I don't think was dedicated enough to work hard. Heard from a pretty reliable source that Danny was a bit more interested in going out drinking with his pals. I was never a massive Handling fan as always felt he was a bit light weight but who knows how he might have turned out had he given a bit more commitment to his fitness and lifestyle.

For me, Alex Harris is the biggest heart-break- when he first appeared I've never been so excited/optimistic by his prospects !. He was just pure magic and it's a tragedy for him (and us !!) that Butcher was the manager then as I firmly believe he ruined the boy by bringing him back too soon - always felt that maybe shelling-out a few pounds for a visit to a top-class sports-pyschologist might've saved his career at Hibs ! I still hold out hope that he can rediscover the magic he once displayed !

Baader
18-07-2019, 06:17 PM
Not seen many players at all with the natural ability Riordan had. Unbelievable talent and for me no doubt he could have been a success in English top flight. Still a very good career but with that level of ability he could have gone right to the top.

Breaking through I always throught Scott Bannerman would be a big player for us. Surprised his career panned out the way it did.

The 90+2
18-07-2019, 06:19 PM

Injuries, attitude. He worked very hard to get where he was and then it all went to pot. His brothers has had a really good career at that lower level, sure Dene played with Riordan at Granton.

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-07-2019, 06:20 PM
Billy Findlay.

Hermit Crab
18-07-2019, 06:20 PM
The whole Hibs team last Saturday!

h18eeynick
18-07-2019, 06:42 PM
Not seen many players at all with the natural ability Riordan had. Unbelievable talent and for me no doubt he could have been a success in English top flight. Still a very good career but with that level of ability he could have gone right to the top.

Breaking through I always throught Scott Bannerman would be a big player for us. Surprised his career panned out the way it did.

Always thought when Deeks came back from Celtic that for some reason he had lost a bit of pace. Seemed to be a yard or two off the pace. Perhaps he was taught to use tactics more than taking a man on down the wing which was his strength and great delivery

Paisley Hibby
18-07-2019, 06:51 PM
Scott Brown. Sure he's had a great career at Celtic but he was so much better than that. Would have been huge if he'd gone down south.

18-07-2019, 06:59 PM
Scott Brown. Sure he's had a great career at Celtic but he was so much better than that. Would have been huge if he'd gone down south.

Always wondered why he never thought to give down South a crack, at his peak he would have been more than capable of being successful in a Premier League side. Maybe he didn't want to leave his comfort zone of Celtic, where he was guaranteed to rack up a big trophies tally or perhaps it simply wasn't ideal for his family situation in which case fair enough I guess.

SquashedFrogg
18-07-2019, 07:10 PM
Mark McGraw. Shocking tackle pretty much gubbed his career.

Really liked him.

smithy_hibees
18-07-2019, 07:15 PM
James Collins

Iain G
18-07-2019, 07:18 PM
Feel like we have had a whole bunch of good young centre back prospects that have all dropped away for a number of reasons, Jonathan Baillie, Mark Dempsie et al.

Oh and Damon Gray of course to add to the list...

J-C
18-07-2019, 07:18 PM
Handling, skillful player who acted like he'd made it instead of knuckling down and being the best he can be. Darren NcCormack, very good promise but a wee bit of a bad lad attitude.

mayo hibee
18-07-2019, 07:19 PM
Schoolboy football coaches in Dublin will tell you that Robbie Keane was only the second best striker they've seen come up through the ranks there in the last 30 years. The best was Anthony Stokes.

Absolutely no brains or commitment to go with his talent though and now he's in the Turkish Second Division at 30. Being honest he should never have been anywhere near Hibs during his career. A shame for him but it worked out well for Hibs I guess.

Other than him, definitely Riordan. Attitude the problem there as well.

CockneyRebel
18-07-2019, 07:21 PM

I read some court statements and several quotes from the lad himself so I don't think I'm that far out.

Iggy Pope
18-07-2019, 07:23 PM
Paul McGlinchley
Hugh Hamil
Lindsay Muir
Willie Paterson
Alex McGhee

CockneyRebel
18-07-2019, 07:25 PM

Maybe but from your picture it looks like you're giving it a good go.

MagicSwirlingShip
18-07-2019, 07:36 PM
Craig Rocastle. Was absolutely imperious during his loan spell at Easter Road, then went on (as far I’m aware) to fade into obscurity.

truehibernian
18-07-2019, 07:37 PM
Schoolboy football coaches in Dublin will tell you that Robbie Keane was only the second best striker they've seen come up through the ranks there in the last 30 years. The best was Anthony Stokes.

Absolutely no brains or commitment to go with his talent though and now he's in the Turkish Second Division at 30. Being honest he should never have been anywhere near Hibs during his career. A shame for him but it worked out well for Hibs I guess.

Other than him, definitely Riordan. Attitude the problem there as well.

Derek had a great attitude towards football - Hibs were and are his club. A 'homebird' was perhaps his issue. Best natural talent I've seen, indeed, the great Eddie Turnbull thought so too.

His hangers on off the field certainly hindered him - but a cracking lad without the nonsense 'mates' around him :aok:

Leith's finest
18-07-2019, 07:42 PM
Ross Caldwell
Danny Galbraith
I thought should have done more

Billy Whizz
18-07-2019, 07:45 PM
Zoubir, still playing at Europa League level

SideBurns
18-07-2019, 07:52 PM
Kevin McKee. Class left wingers such as Davie Cooper & Peter Weir struggled against him. Unfortunately, he was doing such a number on Cooper at Ibrox that one ****bag leapt onto the park and attacked him. Kevin was never the same after that, confidence seemed to desert him.

PH91
18-07-2019, 08:13 PM
Kevin McCann. He looked a cracking player when he burst onto the scene and ready to replace whittaker when he left. Injuries really scuppered him. Ended up not getting back into the team ahead of van zanten and hart!!

Greentinted
18-07-2019, 08:25 PM
Barry Lavety came to us with high hopes and there was definite potential about him. Obviously had a bit of bother with his weight and perhaps general attitude (I say perhaps as I don’t know the guy, just going by what I saw) but I always thought he could have been a player.

McD
18-07-2019, 08:34 PM
Callum Booth - watched him as a youngster and breaking into the side and what a player and talent he was. Perhaps confidence was knocked and perhaps timing didn't help (coming into a poor Hibs side and era). But that lad could play.

I'd also add Sean Welsh to the list. Again, timing is everything in football but he was a terrific young player.

:agree: Both very good, Sean in particular looked something special but it just never seemed to happen for him.

Scott Smith was another who looked to have something about him, but just never seemed to push on.

Ross Caldwell, rumoured to have let his ego exceed his work rate and application.

also agree that deeks never looked quite the same player after Celtic, and should have gone further in the game.

Weir07
18-07-2019, 08:38 PM
In the mid 90s I thought Graeme Donald would become a top player, scored a few goals for a defender but he ended up going down the leagues, memory is a bit hazy but think he may have had a bad injury at Hibs.

Allant1981
18-07-2019, 08:41 PM
Craig Rocastle. Was absolutely imperious during his loan spell at Easter Road, then went on (as far I’m aware) to fade into obscurity.

Played for Sheffield wednesday after us I think,dunno what happened to him after that

SquashedFrogg
18-07-2019, 08:42 PM
I read some court statements and several quotes from the lad himself so I don't think I'm that far out.

So you're saying he lost most of his wealth snorting coke? Not cars, houses, bad investments, hand outs? Just coke?

Would love to read these court statements.

SquashedFrogg
18-07-2019, 08:43 PM

So you're saying he lost most of his wealth snorting coke? Not cars, houses, bad investments, hand outs? Just coke?

Would love to read these court statements. Because that's a huge amount of powder up his nostrils.

Barman Stanton
18-07-2019, 08:47 PM
Chic Charnley. Had s*** loads of ability but was absolute nuts. Looked class in a brutal team for the short time we had him and there was even chat of a Scottish call up.

superfurryhibby
18-07-2019, 08:49 PM
Stephen Glass was a disappointment for me. He had a big reputation when Hibs signed him. He wasn’t bad by any means, but I expected way more. Another one like that was Stevie Crawford. Cost a fair bit of money, was talented but never really delivered for Hibs.

erin go bragh
18-07-2019, 08:51 PM
The laddie Palson ( spelling ) who we had on loan . First couple of games he looked a super star but then he didn’t.

erin go bragh
18-07-2019, 08:54 PM
Jonathon Johanson and Khuki were brutal also .

heidtheba
18-07-2019, 08:57 PM
Agree with Riordan and Garry O - could have done so much more, but loved what I saw of them here.

Alex H, Sam Stanton and Callum Booth all suffered from being so good that lots of us expected them to carry a team that was p*&s poor and had a lot of older, more experienced journeymen who, had we signed proper players for those roles, would have been taking the pressure off the young ones and letting them come in and make mistakes because these older guys had got that covered.

Kevin Harper - didn't he get a hat-trick on a Scotland B and then never made it further? Scored against Liverpool too (for Derby?) Loved watching him as a player.

Peevemor
18-07-2019, 09:06 PM
In the mid 90s I thought Graeme Donald would become a top player, scored a few goals for a defender but he ended up going down the leagues, memory is a bit hazy but think he may have had a bad injury at Hibs.I was going to mention him. I remember when he first broke into the team he seemed to have a habit of scoring after coming off the bench.

JimboHibs
18-07-2019, 09:11 PM
Graham Love.

Chris Reid.

Really , never seen anything that would make me think they should have done better , they were both pretty limited.

heidtheba
18-07-2019, 09:21 PM
I was going to mention him. I remember when he first broke into the team he seemed to have a habit of scoring after coming off the bench.

Was he one of those players who was a CH but had originally been a striker and was sometimes played as both, depending on the situation?

Scouse Hibee
18-07-2019, 09:32 PM
Think Chris worked as a security guard with one of the big stores after football - nice lad :aok: year below me at Hutchy.

Are you sure you’re not mixing him up with Jason Gardiner who was a store detective at Jenner’s after football?

CRAZYHIBBY
18-07-2019, 09:34 PM
Allan obrien...we are still to see the best of him

Here’s Lucy!
18-07-2019, 09:43 PM
Colin Campbell.

My dad worked with his ‘ma’.

The 90+2
18-07-2019, 09:46 PM
:agree: Both very good, Sean in particular looked something special but it just never seemed to happen for him.

Scott Smith was another who looked to have something about him, but just never seemed to push on.

Ross Caldwell, rumoured to have let his ego exceed his work rate and application.

also agree that deeks never looked quite the same player after Celtic, and should have gone further in the game.

Didn’t Sean get released after that **** with Jimmy Scott?

The 90+2
18-07-2019, 09:48 PM
Colin Campbell.

My dad worked with his ‘ma’.

My dads mate. All my boots bought from his shop as a kid 👍

tamig
18-07-2019, 09:52 PM
Sam Stanton. Best player on the park in a 1-0 victory over Celtic a few years back.

I think the only thing Sam lacked was a bit more strength. A bit more time in the gym could have helped him become a top player imo.

basehibby
18-07-2019, 09:59 PM
So many players on here actually did the business for us (Riordan, O'Connor) or just failed to make the breakthrough stick (Stanton, Harris) whereas for me these players can walk tall about their time in a Hibs shirt.

For me the real stars of the this thread are those that came to Hibs with a reputation and proved to be a complete waste of space - Rowan Vine, Jonathan Johansson, Ray Wilkins, Van De Graff - take a bow. You may have thought yourselves billy big shots - imposters in a Hibs shirt though :na na:

MagicSwirlingShip
18-07-2019, 10:03 PM
I think the only thing Sam lacked was a bit more strength. A bit more time in the gym could have helped him become a top player imo.

He also majorly lacked any confidence / resilience. a symptom of having the bad lack of being brought through into such a poor Hibs side. Any mistake our support got straight on their backs.

leithsansiro
18-07-2019, 10:27 PM
A few already mentioned definitely had me nodding my head in agreement. Not as much “ones who should have done better”, but more “ones I thought were going to be our next big thing”

Kevin Harper
Kevin McCann
Mark Dempsie
Damon Gray
Jamie McCluskey (who was ridiculously skilful)
Danny Handling

Others have mentioned Alex Harris, but I never really got him, even allowing for his wonder game against Falkirk.

I hope I’m wrong, but I see Oli Shaw going down in a similar category to those above. I’d love to see him being a 15-goal-a-season striker for us, but I have a bit of a fear that he’ll end up dropping down the divisions

AgentDaleCooper
18-07-2019, 10:35 PM

I'll never forget the game where he marked Dado Prso out of the game, had him safely in his back pocket for the full 90, including in the air, despite being about 2ft shorter than him :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gaffer1875
18-07-2019, 10:37 PM
Jonathan Baillie (injury ruined him)
David Grof
Whittaker (2nd time)
Alan O’Brien
Daniel Boateng

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tamig
18-07-2019, 10:43 PM
Really , never seen anything that would make me think they should have done better , they were both pretty limited.

What does “limited” even mean? Love was a tremendous prospect and a very tidy player. I’m not sure why it didn’t work out for him.

Iain G
18-07-2019, 10:44 PM
A few already mentioned definitely had me nodding my head in agreement. Not as much “ones who should have done better”, but more “ones I thought were going to be our next big thing”

Kevin Harper
Kevin McCann
Mark Dempsie
Damon Gray
Jamie McCluskey (who was ridiculously skilful)
Danny Handling

Others have mentioned Alex Harris, but I never really got him, even allowing for his wonder game against Falkirk.

I hope I’m wrong, but I see Oli Shaw going down in a similar category to those above. I’d love to see him being a 15-goal-a-season striker for us, but I have a bit of a fear that he’ll end up dropping down the divisions

Was Allan Dempsie not another that didn't make it, was a fullback if memory serves?

Martin McIntosh, signed with a good reputation and didn't really get a chance, same with Morten Hyldegaard and I think we paid cash for them both?

AgentDaleCooper
18-07-2019, 11:17 PM
Jonathan Baillie (injury ruined him)
David Grof
Whittaker (2nd time)
Alan O’Brien
Daniel Boateng

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

given the hype surrounding him when he signed, he surely has to go down as the biggest let down of all our signings in recent memory.

"ivan sproule on a motorbike"...also with a chronic phobia of any spherical objects that might land at his feet.

Inconsequential
18-07-2019, 11:36 PM
One player mostly forgotten about is Grant Brebner who I feel should have had a better career at Hibs. Unfortunately not to be as he had problems which I won't mention.

The 90+2
18-07-2019, 11:41 PM
Was Allan Dempsie not another that didn't make it, was a fullback if memory serves?

Martin McIntosh, signed with a good reputation and didn't really get a chance, same with Morten Hyldegaard and I think we paid cash for them both?

Alan Dempsie wasn’t in the same street as his brother footballing wise. There was another player who tragically passed that was the best of the bunch by miles at the same time too. Lad from Haddington.

The 90+2
18-07-2019, 11:43 PM
One player mostly forgotten about is Grant Brebner who I feel should have had a better career at Hibs. Unfortunately not to be as he had problems which I won't mention.

Brebs on loan from Reading was incredible and classy as anything in our midfield.

HaltomHibs
19-07-2019, 01:09 AM
Kevin McKee. Class left wingers such as Davie Cooper & Peter Weir struggled against him. Unfortunately, he was doing such a number on Cooper at Ibrox that one ****bag leapt onto the park and attacked him. Kevin was never the same after that, confidence seemed to desert him.
Played with him in the reserves. Was very surprised he didn't push on. Well rated at the time.

Forza Fred
19-07-2019, 03:47 AM
I watched Jordan Foster make his debut at Tynecastle and thought he was destined for a long career in a Hibs shirt as a central defender.

Was surprised when we let him go, and know he subsequently suffered a couple of horrific injuries that affected his career.

Good to see him back in Scotland with Dundee.

scotiaf
19-07-2019, 03:58 AM
Stephen Glass was a disappointment for me. He had a big reputation when Hibs signed him. He wasn’t bad by any means, but I expected way more. Another one like that was Stevie Crawford. Cost a fair bit of money, was talented but never really delivered for Hibs.

Stephen glass was excellent for us, Crawford started well and faded.

Jonatan Johansson for me was a disappointment

Forza Fred
19-07-2019, 04:00 AM

Brebs is quite open about his gambling issues, and spoke about them in a question and answer session at the Oz branch’s 30th anniversary celebrations a couple of years ago, where he was guest of honour.

He certainly didn’t like his time at Dundee United, after he left us.

He did though carve out a new career with Melbourne Victory, and is now happily settled in Melbourne.

MSK
19-07-2019, 06:25 AM
Alan Dempsie wasn’t in the same street as his brother footballing wise. There was another player who tragically passed that was the best of the bunch by miles at the same time too. Lad from Haddington.Liam O’Sullivan, seemingly very highly rated at the time, think it was around 2002 he tragically passed

BILLYHIBS
19-07-2019, 06:33 AM
As others have said I thought Scott Smith looked the real deal but sadly just disappeared :confused:

Spike Mandela
19-07-2019, 06:39 AM
Billy Findlay.

Yeah, didn’t he get a five year contract? High hopes but just never really happened for him.

Northernhibee
19-07-2019, 06:39 AM
Callum Crane.

The Spaceman
19-07-2019, 07:01 AM
Kevin Thomson - when you stack up his career Vs Scott Brown.

spike220
19-07-2019, 07:15 AM
Conrad Logan

franck sauzee
19-07-2019, 07:25 AM

I actually thought he was better than Brown when at Hibs. Unlucky with injuries.

Someone else mentioned him but Jonathan Baillie looked incredible and again injuries ruined him

MagicSwirlingShip
19-07-2019, 07:54 AM
I actually thought he was better than Brown when at Hibs. Unlucky with injuries.

Someone else mentioned him but Jonathan Baillie looked incredible and again injuries ruined him

I did also, up until Thomson left. Broony really kicked on for us then, took his game to another level.

Paisley Hibby
19-07-2019, 08:06 AM
Always wondered why he never thought to give down South a crack, at his peak he would have been more than capable of being successful in a Premier League side. Maybe he didn't want to leave his comfort zone of Celtic, where he was guaranteed to rack up a big trophies tally or perhaps it simply wasn't ideal for his family situation in which case fair enough I guess.
I think that probably was the reason and, yes, fair play to him if it was. He's probably earned more money than he'll ever need at Celtic. But he could have been a world class player if he'd moved to England or abroad.

FilipinoHibs
19-07-2019, 08:19 AM

Deeks to. Waisted at Celtic but still in the four all time SPL goal scorers.

FilipinoHibs
19-07-2019, 08:21 AM
Brebs is quite open about his gambling issues, and spoke about them in a question and answer session at the Oz branch’s 30th anniversary celebrations a couple of years ago, where he was guest of honour.

He certainly didn’t like his time at Dundee United, after he left us.

He did though carve out a new career with Melbourne Victory, and is now happily settled in Melbourne.

A beautiful vanity to.

MWHIBBIES
19-07-2019, 08:38 AM

He didn't play that game.

supermcginn
19-07-2019, 08:56 AM

Glass was great for us. Very classy player.

Independent
19-07-2019, 11:26 AM
Ian Siegel

Anthony Soprano
19-07-2019, 11:37 AM
Zoubir, still playing at Europa League level

Currently at Qarabag in Azerbaijan, won their league last season so will be in a similar position to celtic i.e. Champions League qualifiers.
Rated him as a player, skilful with plenty tricks but felt his final ball let him down at times, one of the better performers in an otherwise dreadful team.

southsider
19-07-2019, 11:48 AM
Played with him in the reserves. Was very surprised he didn't push on. Well rated at the time.

Think we were 1-0 up when Kevin got attacked. Went on to loose 2 v1. Huns got fined about 2 bob. Guy just jumped back in the crowd.

The 90+2
19-07-2019, 11:53 AM
Liam O’Sullivan, seemingly very highly rated at the time, think it was around 2002 he tragically passed

Yeah that’s him.

ChilliEater
19-07-2019, 11:59 AM
Ian Siegel

Yeah - think he was Scottish Schoolboys captain, but got a nasty knee injury IIRC and never played a senior game?

southsider
19-07-2019, 12:37 PM
Stuart Rae played at Wembley for Scotland Schools alongside Paul McStay and Aly Dick.

Here’s Lucy!
19-07-2019, 12:47 PM
My dads mate. All my boots bought from his shop as a kid 👍

Where was the shop mate?

southsider
19-07-2019, 12:50 PM
Had one next to Lelie’s Bar on Ratcliff Terrace.

Here’s Lucy!
19-07-2019, 12:54 PM
Where was the shop mate?

Had one next to Lelie’s Bar on Ratcliff Terrace.

If that is in answer to my question to 90+2,then thanks very much. :aok:

I take it there was more than one branch of the shop?

WoreTheGreen
19-07-2019, 01:38 PM

His first shop was in Meadow place It was called sports conscience.lt is now a flat and with paint stripped back to the original and funny enough bears the name PERSEVERE

Greentinted
19-07-2019, 01:39 PM

If I mInd right, Colin had another shop at the Ferry Road end of Inverleith Row as well.

WoreTheGreen
19-07-2019, 01:43 PM
If I mInd right, Colin had another shop at the Ferry Road end of Inverleith Row as well.

Still has

Keith_M
19-07-2019, 01:43 PM
Where was the shop mate?

HERE (https://www.google.com/maps/place/68+Inverleith+Row,+Edinburgh+EH3+5LT/@55.9656407,-3.2036409,3a,75y,23.18h,89.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stO7p4K8Ok5lJPSXw-Dt3Ng!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x4887c7ebc4e6b c9b:0x746eee26730d9c!8m2!3d55.9657393!4d-3.2035212)

Here’s Lucy!
19-07-2019, 02:35 PM
His first shop was in Meadow place It was called sports conscience.lt is now a flat and with paint stripped back to the original and funny enough bears the name PERSEVERE

HERE (https://www.google.com/maps/place/68+Inverleith+Row,+Edinburgh+EH3+5LT/@55.9656407,-3.2036409,3a,75y,23.18h,89.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stO7p4K8Ok5lJPSXw-Dt3Ng!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x4887c7ebc4e6b c9b:0x746eee26730d9c!8m2!3d55.9657393!4d-3.2035212)

Thanks all. :aok:

I certainly remember Sports Conscience but didn’t know who owned it.

BILLYHIBS
19-07-2019, 02:40 PM

Awesome

Onceinawhile
19-07-2019, 02:42 PM

Think that's down to kt getting bad injuries though. Still managed to get all the way to a uefa cup final. If he hadn't had those injuries though, I agree, he'd have been even better.

BILLYHIBS
19-07-2019, 03:16 PM
Think that's down to kt getting bad injuries though. Still managed to get all the way to a uefa cup final. If he hadn't had those injuries though, I agree, he'd have been even better.
I remember one game at ER Tony Mowbray put a young KT back to sweeper for the last half hour he was awesome
Then again a young Scott Brown as a box to box midfielder 0-3 Ibroke ( Ivan Sproule game) and 4-2 at Dark Heid ( Teenage Kicks) totally outstanding

The 90+2
19-07-2019, 03:31 PM
I remember one game at ER Tony Mowbray put a young KT back to sweeper for the last half hour he was awesome
Then again a young Scott Brown as a box to box midfielder 0-3 Ibroke ( Ivan Sproule game) and 4-2 at Dark Heid ( Teenage Kicks) totally outstanding

Broony played right midfield in the Ivan game 👍

BILLYHIBS
19-07-2019, 03:37 PM
Broony played right midfield in the Ivan game ��

Aye box to box doon the right hand side for two of Ivan’s goals on the counter attack

https://youtu.be/KKXlgf37iFQ

hibsbollah
19-07-2019, 04:00 PM
I'm surprised no mention of Zemmama yet. For me, his natural ability was jaw dropping at times, and in patches he was unplayable and almost a reason for attending games in himself. But obviously wasn't consistent and struggled physically and with injuries. But listening to his teammates at that time, when he arrived nobody could believe the things he could do in training. Did some good things at Boro when he moved with Mowbray but again got injured, moved to Egypt I think and then his career kind of fizzled out.

Damon Gray is the obvious shout when you think of achievements in the youth team and reserves, and Alex Harris too. (Harris will be playing at Ainslie Park tomorrow against the Pars if anyone wants to catch up on how his career is progressing).

CockneyRebel
19-07-2019, 04:59 PM
Aye box to box doon the right hand side for two of Ivan’s goals on the counter attack

https://youtu.be/KKXlgf37iFQ

Brown was tremendous that day.

weecounty hibby
19-07-2019, 05:02 PM
Left back when we won the 1st Division under McLeish. Can't remember his name now but when he first signed I thought he look a great prospect. Don't think he played above championship level and sure he played with Airdrie at one point.

BILLYHIBS
19-07-2019, 05:06 PM
Left back when we won the 1st Division under McLeish. Can't remember his name now but when he first signed I thought he look a great prospect. Don't think he played above championship level and sure he played with Airdrie at one point.

Tom Smith?

HibbyAndy
19-07-2019, 05:07 PM

Paul Lovering ?

Loved the wee guy , Tenacious in the tackle and the heart of a Lion

weecounty hibby
19-07-2019, 05:07 PM
Tom Smith?

Nah, young laddie. I may have to use Google!!

weecounty hibby
19-07-2019, 05:09 PM
Paul Lovering ?

Loved the wee guy , Tenacious in the tackle and the heart of a Lion
That's the boy!! Non stop running, enthusiasm, good tackler, decent footballer. I honestly thought he could have gone on to play for Scotland. Just didn't seem to kick on. I loved watching him that season

BILLYHIBS
19-07-2019, 05:09 PM
Nah, young laddie. I may have to use Google!!

Lovering

Hibbyandy spot on

HibbyAndy
19-07-2019, 05:13 PM
That's the boy!! Non stop running, enthusiasm, good tackler, decent footballer. I honestly thought he could have gone on to play for Scotland. Just didn't seem to kick on. I loved watching him that season

I agree wasn't the the biggest of lads but boy he never shirked a single tackle , Got up and down that left hand side and even chipped in with a goal or 2

Think he possibly played for Ayr united when they beat us at Hampden 1-0 under Sauzee , Good shout though , I to thought he was destined for bigger and better things

Smartie
19-07-2019, 05:14 PM

I liked him too, and I don't remember him ever letting us down.

He seemed to just drift away and his career fizzled out.

BILLYHIBS
19-07-2019, 05:19 PM
I liked him too, and I don't remember him ever letting us down.

He seemed to just drift away and his career fizzled out.

Finished his career at Benburb and is currently Manager

He had not a bad career in the lower leagues

Never let us down

Peevemor
19-07-2019, 05:35 PM
I liked Lovering too. Did he not score a Sauzee-esque 25-30 yarder in one match?

HaltomHibs
19-07-2019, 09:49 PM
Stuart Rae played at Wembley for Scotland Schools alongside Paul McStay and Aly Dick.

I remember him from Edina.You must be as ancient as me.

southsider
20-07-2019, 07:16 AM
I remember him from Edina.You must be as ancient as me.
The game was in 1977. Scotland won 5-4 and watched the game in the Gold Medal bar opposite the Commy Pool. I was 18 then...… Rae was outstanding and I thought wow we have a right good one here but the lad never really kicked on. Shame.

JDT
20-07-2019, 07:30 AM
Darren McCormack...such a waste

zlatan
20-07-2019, 08:04 AM
I'm sure Lovering had really bad injury problems which held him back? Guy I know that supports Airdrie still goes on about how good he was with them.

itslegaltender
20-07-2019, 08:18 AM

He got burnt out in that season.