PDA

View Full Version : Doonhamer Gull Horror

Glory Lurker
16-07-2019, 06:44 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-49002546

Surprised this hasn’t been mentioned today. Hitchcock on the Nith.

Eyrie
16-07-2019, 07:46 PM
"We will continue to pursue other ways to deter them," the club added.
Does that mean they're trying to sign Callum Booth?

Joe6-2
16-07-2019, 07:48 PM
I’d exterminate those f*****s, and I mean the gulls

Billy Whizz
16-07-2019, 07:55 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-49002546

Surprised this hasn’t been mentioned today. Hitchcock on the Nith.

Probably more seagulls than fans at the game

judas
16-07-2019, 08:06 PM
It sounds like the ground staff have been winging it.

One Day Soon
16-07-2019, 08:23 PM
They're a bloody menace. There's at least one pair nesting on top of Forrester High School and every Tuesday when I've been taking my son there for swimming in the evenings if you have the nerve to go for a walk around the school the male dive bombs and attacks people. Shoot them all.

Joe6-2
16-07-2019, 08:25 PM
They're a bloody menace. There's at least one pair nesting on top of Forrester High School and every Tuesday when I've been taking my son there for swimming in the evenings if you have the nerve to go for a walk around the school the male dive bombs and attacks people. Shoot them all.

Why do we have to put up with them?

One Day Soon
16-07-2019, 08:26 PM

IDK but I'll tell you what, Glory Lurker has come up with one of the all time best thread titles with this one.

DetroitHibs
16-07-2019, 08:32 PM
I’ll bring my .22 rifle over, only should take about an hour :cb

Glory Lurker
16-07-2019, 09:54 PM
IDK but I'll tell you what, Glory Lurker has come up with one of the all time best thread titles with this one.

Blush!

w pilton hibby
16-07-2019, 10:02 PM

They are protected species

"All species of gull are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and the Wildlife (Northern Ireland) Order 1985. This makes it illegal to intentionally or, in Scotland and Northern Ireland, recklessly injure or kill any gull or damage or destroy an active nest or its contents."

As per the RSPB

Crab apple
16-07-2019, 10:10 PM
I’d exterminate those f*****s, and I mean the gulls

They’re vicious buggers. I used to work in an office where the gulls would chase pigeons, forcing them to crash into the full length windows. The concussed pigeon was then torn apart by the gull. Not a great sight at lunchtime.

Joe6-2
16-07-2019, 10:26 PM

"All species of gull are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and the Wildlife (Northern Ireland) Order 1985. This makes it illegal to intentionally or, in Scotland and Northern Ireland, recklessly injure or kill any gull or damage or destroy an active nest or its contents."

As per the RSPB

I don’t agree with hurting creatures, but these things are a f***ing nuisance,

Booked4Being-Ugly
16-07-2019, 10:49 PM
They’re vicious buggers. I used to work in an office where the gulls would chase pigeons, forcing them to crash into the full length windows. The concussed pigeon was then torn apart by the gull. Not a great sight at lunchtime.
Haha, where I work on the bottom floor of the office there is a ‘glass curtain’ - aka - a row of windows and you can sit and watch the gulls trying to swallow baby rabbits whole to the horror of the animal lovers.

vahibbie
16-07-2019, 10:58 PM

As per the RSPB

They might be protected, but at 5 in the morning who's watching

Bangkok Hibby
16-07-2019, 11:18 PM

As per the RSPB

I'm sure most people realise they are a protected species but few know why? Generations of them living in towns have never seen the sea and wouldnt know a fish if it slapped them on the beak. It just seems a strange decision to protect something so at odds with day to day life for the rest of us. As has been said they attack humans and are now brave enough in many places to swoop down and steal food out your hand.

Just Alf
16-07-2019, 11:40 PM
I'm sure most people realise they are a protected species but few know why? Generations of them living in towns have never seen the sea and wouldnt know a fish if it slapped them on the beak. It just seems a strange decision to protect something so at odds with day to day life for the rest of us. As has been said they attack humans and are now brave enough in many places to swoop down and steal food out your hand.Agree... Heck, we cull blooming cute bambis cause they eat too much grass/Heather on the grouse moors.... Surely to God people are higher up the chain than Grouse? Let's do a bit of seagull culling :-/

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Wee Effen Bee
17-07-2019, 06:18 AM
Aye,, kill off a species cos they annoy us! They were here before us and if anything needs to change it’s us! Our slovenly behaviour encourages gulls and other species to scavenge in land. Not their fault..Mon the burdz! 🦅

Springbank
17-07-2019, 06:30 AM
Interesting to read in the article that the club (QotS FC) has tried "various things" to sort out their seagulls.

That's the kind of vagueness you get from a lower league journeymen groundsman. He wouldn't get away with that at a club of Hibs stature.

hibby13
17-07-2019, 07:29 AM
Aye,, kill off a species cos they annoy us! They were here before us and if anything needs to change it’s us! Our slovenly behaviour encourages gulls and other species to scavenge in land. Not their fault..Mon the burdz! 🦅

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

GordonHFC
17-07-2019, 07:31 AM
Is it still legal to shoot the eggs?
I know East Lothian Council used to do this a number of years ago but not sure if they still do.

worcesterhibby
17-07-2019, 07:43 AM

Arch Stanton
17-07-2019, 07:57 AM
If this happens here they could wipe out humanity and inherit the earth. End of free chips for them!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-48916923

One Day Soon
17-07-2019, 08:34 AM

They don't need to be wiped out as a species, just controlled to a reasonable point. Inland and in the cities they are effectively an invasive species whose protection comes at a cost to other species.

I'm an RSPB member and even I don't think their untouchable status makes sense. They're a magnificent bird but in the wrong context they're a pestilential nuisance for people and other animals. And they've gotten worse despite our improved behaviour - ie we now have lidded bins everywhere instead of plastic disposal bags so our behaviour is if anything less slovenly - or at least more waste secure.

Mind you, bring back the wolves I say.

Booked4Being-Ugly
17-07-2019, 08:58 AM
They don't need to be wiped out as a species, just controlled to a reasonable point. Inland and in the cities they are effectively an invasive species whose protection comes at a cost to other species.

I'm an RSPB member and even I don't think their untouchable status makes sense. They're a magnificent bird but in the wrong context they're a pestilential nuisance for people and other animals. And they've gotten worse despite our improved behaviour - ie we now have lidded bins everywhere instead of plastic disposal bags so our behaviour is if anything less slovenly - or at least more waste secure.

Mind you, bring back the wolves I say.They are thriving because they are a successful scavenger species with no natural predators.

In times gone by they would have had bears, wolves and eagles predating on them and their eggs but man has created an eco imbalance in their favour.

They do eat rabbits and pigeons though so not all bad, although they still need controlled to an extent.

Paloschi
17-07-2019, 09:19 AM

They are living animals that feel pain and we have no right to shoot them. They may dive bomb you as they are nesting, just protecting their chick. For what it's worth, I recently took a trip to Isle of May. Arctic Terns do dive bomb you but the Seagulls, even with their chicks near you didn't. It surprised me and showed they aren't really aggressive towards us humans or at least compared to other sea bird species.

One Day Soon
17-07-2019, 09:39 AM
They are living animals that feel pain and we have no right to shoot them. They may dive bomb you as they are nesting, just protecting their chick. For what it's worth, I recently took a trip to Isle of May. Arctic Terns do dive bomb you but the Seagulls, even with their chicks near you didn't. It surprised me and showed they aren't really aggressive towards us humans or at least compared to other sea bird species.

That position would mean that no animals should ever be harmed for any reason.

In New Zealand they are fighting a range of invasive species - carp are the ones I am most aware of as I am an angler - and without an annual cull their river systems would be completely overwhelmed. The same goes for a number of on-land species.

What are QoS supposed to about their horror gulls?

Speedway
17-07-2019, 09:43 AM
Best thread title in memory.

lord bunberry
17-07-2019, 09:44 AM
Drive them back into the sea where they belong.

Scott Allan Key
17-07-2019, 10:08 AM

As per the RSPBClearly a lot of rednecks in our support (like the Yams), who'd happily take a gun to wildlife.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

One Day Soon
17-07-2019, 10:12 AM
Clearly a lot of rednecks in our support (like the Yams), who'd happily take a gun to wildlife.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

'Wildlife' :rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
17-07-2019, 10:13 AM
Blackpool is a haven for the buggers, had a couple of nests on my roof earlier in the year. We had a leak and required a roofer to get up and have a look, they were bombing him, but he didnt care. He took a bat up with him and was swiping at them whenever they got near.

Managed to get both nests and throw them off the roof, never managed to hit any of them but both problems were fixed within an hour. :top marks

Forza Fred
17-07-2019, 10:19 AM
Bassas stole my fish and chips once when I had lunch in the park opposite the Opera House.

Japanese tourists obviously thought I was a madman lashing out at the buggers and cursing and swearing at them.

Hibs Fraggle
17-07-2019, 10:50 AM
Dreading ER on Saturday, prepared for the Seagull uprising - You know if they upgraded our PA then we could play the bird of prey noises to try and keep them away? Once we have chips the problem will get even worse if not dealt with.

Phil MaGlass
17-07-2019, 10:54 AM
If this happens here they could wipe out humanity and inherit the earth. End of free chips for them!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-48916923

All the more reason for a cull, Cull the Gull.
In parts of Holland they swap the eggs for fake and before the gull realises its not going to hatch, its too late in the breeding season for more.

we are hibs
17-07-2019, 11:31 AM
They're gormless looking ****ers too. Didn't see as many at Easter road last season as season's past. Either something was done or they agree that the quality of pie was worse

Just Alf
17-07-2019, 11:40 AM
Up close, they're actually quite nice birds to look at.... Still think they need to be culled in a controlled manner.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

McSwanky
17-07-2019, 11:41 AM
All the more reason for a cull, Cull the Gull.
In parts of Holland they swap the eggs for fake and before the gull realises its not going to hatch, its too late in the breeding season for more.

East Lothian is doing something similar in Musselburgh and Dunbar.

https://www.eastlothiancourier.com/news/17629217.measures-to-control-seagulls-to-be-carried-out-in-two-towns/

(Waiting for Hermit Crab to put a negative spin on this as it relates to Musselburgh :greengrin)

Smartie
17-07-2019, 11:49 AM
When I was at the Open in Carnoustie last year they had people with birds of prey stationed throughout the course and that kept the gulls away.

I was chatting to one of the people looking after the birds and she said "we finish at x o'clock, see what happens then".

Lo and behold, the gulls descended.

Have we not done something like that in the past? I'm sure I remember a bird of prey story.

Glory Lurker
17-07-2019, 11:56 AM
Dreading ER on Saturday, prepared for the Seagull uprising - You know if they upgraded our PA then we could play the bird of prey noises to try and keep them away? Once we have chips the problem will get even worse if not dealt with.

You're quite right. The word will be getting out in avian circles about the anti-gull tone of this thread (which I agree with, btw). Good chance the gulls will have retribution in mind.

I was also going to suggest that they pick on us at ER because they are jambos. Then I thought "nah, that's just a stupid thing to say". Then it struck me - has anyone ever heard of gulls noising up the Tiny bunch....

Keith_M
17-07-2019, 12:40 PM
Aye,, kill off a species cos they annoy us! They were here before us and if anything needs to change it’s us! Our slovenly behaviour encourages gulls and other species to scavenge in land. Not their fault..Mon the burdz! ��

I don't think anybody's suggesting wiping them out, just trying to control their numbers, especially in cities.

I agree with you about the litter, and it would really help if people put their rubbish in bins

Wee Effen Bee
17-07-2019, 01:39 PM

Mind you, bring back the wolves I say.

Funny, I thought the tread to be TIC but some people appear to be serious about killing wildlife. You don’t get any extra kudos being a member of the RSPB. Im a member too! To say we need to kill wildlife because they can be a nuisance is bull. As I said, as they evolved from dinosaurs they or descendants, have been on this planet longer than we have. Because we get bothered by them occasionally, we carry out a cull? How many? Where do you start? Is it the eggs you go for and at what time of the season? We are the problem, if you truly believe we are less slovenly, you must live on a different Planet from me.

nonshinyfinish
17-07-2019, 02:00 PM
You're quite right. The word will be getting out in avian circles about the anti-gull tone of this thread (which I agree with, btw). Good chance the gulls will have retribution in mind.

I was also going to suggest that they pick on us at ER because they are jambos. Then I thought "nah, that's just a stupid thing to say". Then it struck me - has anyone ever heard of gulls noising up the Tiny bunch....Did they not used to have plastic owls on top of the stands to protect The Famous? Sure they were auctioned off along with anything else not nailed down during their, ahem, 'insolvency event'.

One Day Soon
17-07-2019, 02:07 PM
Funny, I thought the tread to be TIC but some people appear to be serious about killing wildlife. You don’t get any extra kudos being a member of the RSPB. Im a member too! To say we need to kill wildlife because they can be a nuisance is bull. As I said, as they evolved from dinosaurs they or descendants, have been on this planet longer than we have. Because we get bothered by them occasionally, we carry out a cull? How many? Where do you start? Is it the eggs you go for and at what time of the season? We are the problem, if you truly believe we are less slovenly, you must live on a different Planet from me.

At what point is it ok to take measures against invasive species which are threatening other species?

Peevemor
17-07-2019, 02:08 PM
At what point is it ok to take measures against invasive species which are threatening other species?

Is there oil involved?

h18eeynick
17-07-2019, 02:58 PM
I don't think anybody's suggesting wiping them out, just trying to control their numbers, especially in cities.

I agree with you about the litter, and it would really help if people put their rubbish in bins

Having been attacked by seagulls a couple of times in different streets in Carlisle this last week then I agree that controlled culling is essential. We do it with deer who need to have their habitat controlled. Other than real anti killing of anything groups this is a generally accepted practice.

Eyrie
17-07-2019, 05:58 PM
Let's hope that they signed for QotS on a permanent transfer and won't be back at Easter Road on Saturday.

barcahibs
17-07-2019, 10:38 PM
Having been attacked by seagulls a couple of times in different streets in Carlisle this last week then I agree that controlled culling is essential. We do it with deer who need to have their habitat controlled. Other than real anti killing of anything groups this is a generally accepted practice.

We do it with deer because there are indeed far too many of them (because we've killed all their predators) and because not culling them endangers the ecosystems they live in. They eat all the young trees meaning woodlands can't regenerate - hence most of the Highlands are a treeless desert. Though sheep play their part there too. There's also a welfare aspect in that when they're not culled huge numbers starve to death every winter. Better a quick bullet than a slow death from an empty stomach.

Gulls don't fall into that category. Gulls are simply replacing all the scavenger species - like red kite - that we've already exterminated. If we kill the gulls something else will rise to replace them - probably rats.
Gulls dont hurt anyone, you might find them annoying for a few weeks a year while they raise their young but that's not the same thing.

Herring gull numbers are down something like 60% over the last 30 years (more like 90%in Ireland) - mainly because we've destroyed their coastal feeding areas with pollution, over fishing and climate change. They're on the UK red list for species of immediate conservation concern.

But one pinched a chip from me once, they crapped on my car and the Daily Mail says they eat babies so we better all get our shotguns out.

I mean we could tighten up regulations around landfills and recycling centres. We could clean up our streets and not throw rubbish everywhere. We could work to restore coastal habitats. But on the other hand shotgun shells are probably cheaper and you get to pretend you're rambo and that so it's swings and roundabouts really.

superfurryhibby
18-07-2019, 07:19 AM
I’d like to cull annoying people who throw away their takeaway food, overfill their wheelie bins, put their food recycling out the night before collection, just so the foxes get to tip them over and then sleep through the cacophony as the whole of The Inch’s gulls descend and get a right good scran.

Whilst we’re at it we could take out the neddish fuds on motorcycles who ride around with no reg plates, wheelying their way up Old Dalkeith Road, riding across Inch Park at 60mph whilst smoking a joint and watching porn on their stolen phones.

Finally, could we also cull fatties who work in the co-op, people with tattoos on their faces and necks, jambos who like to mention 5-1 anytime they meet you and the selfish swine who turn up at my work before 9:30am and take all the car parking spaces ( cants)?

CentreLine
18-07-2019, 07:39 AM
Reading this thread I am so ashamed. I found a wasps bike at my front door yesterday morning and called in a very nice man who killed the wasps and destroyed the nest. Perhaps I should be more accommodating of our fellow species on this remarkable planet we share.

Or maybe there is a balance that needs to be kept that allows all species to have their space. I do agree we should not be wiping out species for the sake of a minor irritant though. However there are some idiots out there who want to reintroduce wolves to this country 😏

Ozyhibby
18-07-2019, 07:58 AM

It would be good if the council emptied the bins as well. All summer they are over flowing in town. No wonder the seagulls are increasing in number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
18-07-2019, 08:01 AM
Reading this thread I am so ashamed. I found a wasps bike at my front door yesterday morning and called in a very nice man who killed the wasps and destroyed the nest. Perhaps I should be more accommodating of our fellow species on this remarkable planet we share.

Or maybe there is a balance that needs to be kept that allows all species to have their space. I do agree we should not be wiping out species for the sake of a minor irritant though. However there are some idiots out there who want to reintroduce wolves to this country [emoji57]

Reintroducing wolves can be a good thing.
https://youtu.be/ysa5OBhXz-Q
Well worth a watch.

blackpoolhibs
18-07-2019, 08:05 AM

Or maybe there is a balance that needs to be kept that allows all species to have their space. I do agree we should not be wiping out species for the sake of a minor irritant though. However there are some idiots out there who want to reintroduce wolves to this country 😏

Lazy *******s are not bothering to fly now, shoot them or even better set fire to the little buggers.

Keith_M
18-07-2019, 08:25 AM
Lazy *******s are not bothering to fly now, shoot them or even better set fire to the little buggers.

Gulls, Wasps or Litter Bugs?

:dunno:

h18eeynick
18-07-2019, 08:34 AM
We do it with deer because there are indeed far too many of them (because we've killed all their predators) and because not culling them endangers the ecosystems they live in. They eat all the young trees meaning woodlands can't regenerate - hence most of the Highlands are a treeless desert. Though sheep play their part there too. There's also a welfare aspect in that when they're not culled huge numbers starve to death every winter. Better a quick bullet than a slow death from an empty stomach.

Gulls don't fall into that category. Gulls are simply replacing all the scavenger species - like red kite - that we've already exterminated. If we kill the gulls something else will rise to replace them - probably rats.
Gulls dont hurt anyone, you might find them annoying for a few weeks a year while they raise their young but that's not the same thing.

Herring gull numbers are down something like 60% over the last 30 years (more like 90%in Ireland) - mainly because we've destroyed their coastal feeding areas with pollution, over fishing and climate change. They're on the UK red list for species of immediate conservation concern.

But one pinched a chip from me once, they crapped on my car and the Daily Mail says they eat babies so we better all get our shotguns out.

I mean we could tighten up regulations around landfills and recycling centres. We could clean up our streets and not throw rubbish everywhere. We could work to restore coastal habitats. But on the other hand shotgun shells are probably cheaper and you get to pretend you're rambo and that so it's swings and roundabouts really.

Very good response Barcahibs and well reasoned . However I disagree about gulls not hurting people. I know of 2 cases locally where hospital treatment has been required due to head injuries from gull swoops. One nearly got me last week when it missed my head by inches . When people pay a fortune to kill pheasants, grouse, ducks etc and most get buried as cannot even get butchers etc to take them despite being a good food source then reducing a pest in populated areas to me is a reasonable solution

IWasThere2016
18-07-2019, 08:50 AM
I love birds - but have no time for gulls.

They are highly intelligent - but too aggressive and no doubt (reasonable) culling is required in places.

One Day Soon
18-07-2019, 03:36 PM

Reintroducimg wolves is a no-brainer.

worcesterhibby
18-07-2019, 04:31 PM
Oil the eggs to keep the numbers down and there is no need to cull.

hibsdaft
18-07-2019, 04:36 PM

Good post. I absolutely despise urban gulls - they seem to be getting bigger and bigger and can genuinely be intimidating if they're gathering in numbers - but it's clearly a more complicated subject than I ever realised.

Is there an argument that their (apparently) growing strength and number in an urban context is affecting other species?

HoboHarry
18-07-2019, 04:38 PM
I'm a cracking shot - I'll do it if Hibs pay my travel expenses. And maybe thrown in a free season ticket......

barcahibs
18-07-2019, 06:58 PM

There is no natural balance in this country, we destroyed that long ago by killing everything that inconveniences us.

Not having a go at you because I'm sure most people would have done the same, but in the vast majority of cases there is no need to kill wasps or destroy their nests. Wasps don't sting unless they are protecting themselves or their nests so most of the time if you leave them alone they'll leave you alone.

If you can't leave them - maybe because they're in a position where you just can't avoid them, or maybe because someone in the household has a wasp sting allergy, then any reputable pest control organisation should offer the chance to move the nest and relocate it rather than destroy it. It's easy to do, it's just more inconvenient.

Peoples fear of wasps is mainly hysteria (apart of course from those few who are allergic). Wasps do amazing things for us, they pollinate flowers and food crops, they eat garden pests and they kill and eat huge numbers of flies.

I agree that wolves shouldn't come back until we've restored enough of their forest habitat, it probably won't happen in my lifetime, but they will come back and it will be a totally positive thing for our environment. And after wolves we can look at bears.

Lynx will be back much quicker. But lynx are quiet and secretive, they shouldn't inconvenience anyone.

They might even eat any gulls they can catch...

judas
18-07-2019, 07:12 PM
This sounds like a genuine threat to national - and possibly world - security.

I think a COBRA meeting will be convened anytime now. The deployment of Special Forces seems inevitable.

I wonder if we may have to bypass the Geneva Convention laws pertaining to the use of Chemical and Biological weapons.

I wonder - god forgive me for even having to think this let alone say it - if a nuke may be required?!

h18eeynick
18-07-2019, 07:18 PM
There is no natural balance in this country, we destroyed that long ago by killing everything that inconveniences us.

Not having a go at you because I'm sure most people would have done the same, but in the vast majority of cases there is no need to kill wasps or destroy their nests. Wasps don't sting unless they are protecting themselves or their nests so most of the time if you leave them alone they'll leave you alone.

If you can't leave them - maybe because they're in a position where you just can't avoid them, or maybe because someone in the household has a wasp sting allergy, then any reputable pest control organisation should offer the chance to move the nest and relocate it rather than destroy it. It's easy to do, it's just more inconvenient.

Peoples fear of wasps is mainly hysteria (apart of course from those few who are allergic). Wasps do amazing things for us, they pollinate flowers and food crops, they eat garden pests and they kill and eat huge numbers of flies.

I agree that wolves shouldn't come back until we've restored enough of their forest habitat, it probably won't happen in my lifetime, but they will come back and it will be a totally positive thing for our environment. And after wolves we can look at bears.

Lynx will be back much quicker. But lynx are quiet and secretive, they shouldn't inconvenience anyone.

They do eat dead gulls as witnessed outside my house this week ! I admit to being scared silly of wasps and take great pleasure in killing them - i will rely on bees for pollunation and at least they produce honey 😁

superfurryhibby
18-07-2019, 08:22 PM

Wasps do sting for fun, they are the evil *******s of the insect world and having been victim of their violence more times than I can remember, I ‘m sorry but relocation can gtf. I don’t care what they do, having them living in your attic is no fun. They will find a way, via vents or extractors and come in to your house.

I’m a non violent, pacifistic, dairy free, free loving,, non judgemental kind, but Vespasian and his pals can do one.

HoboHarry
18-07-2019, 08:28 PM
Wasps do sting for fun, they are the evil *******s of the insect world and having been victim of their violence more times than I can remember, I ‘m sorry but relocation can gtf. I don’t care what they do, having them living in your attic is no fun. They will find a way, via vents or extractors and come in to your house.

I’m a non violent, pacifistic, dairy free, free loving,, non judgemental kind, but Vespasian and his pals can do one.

Pah - I had this come into my house a couple of months back. Small and non venomous but superb at focusing the mind first thing in the morning lol....

Glory Lurker
18-07-2019, 08:29 PM
Jamie GULLan. Jamie GULLan. Jamie GULLan.

Just trying to keep this football-related :greengrin

superfurryhibby
18-07-2019, 08:42 PM
Pah - I had this come into my house a couple of months back. Small and non venomous but superb at focusing the mind first thing in the morning lol....

A snake in the grass that one. Only ever seen a dead one.

What really annoys me about the wasp....the gunts can give it the old rapid fire sting. On a job on Loch Shiel, just arrived at Eilean Fiannan ( an ancient burial Island, very sacred and used for many centuries) with a colleague and accompanied by the regional archaeologist for the Highlands ( a woman already mildly offended by our macho attitude to starting the reluctant to fire engine on our daft wee boat. Colleague said he’d never seen anything like it as I inexplicably ripped my top off and then went totally radge, jumping on it. Buckin wasp doon the jumoer, giving it laldy, the dirty wee bassa.

HoboHarry
18-07-2019, 08:53 PM
A snake in the grass that one. Only ever seen a dead one.

What really annoys me about the wasp....the gunts can give it the old rapid fire sting. On a job on Loch Shiel, just arrived at Eilean Fiannan ( an ancient burial Island, very sacred and used for many centuries) with a colleague and accompanied by the regional archaeologist for the Highlands ( a woman already mildly offended by our macho attitude to starting the reluctant to fire engine on our daft wee boat. Colleague said he’d never seen anything like it as I inexplicably ripped my top off and then went totally radge, jumping on it. Buckin wasp doon the jumoer, giving it laldy, the dirty wee bassa.
You are mentally damaged mate :greengrin

barcahibs
18-07-2019, 10:12 PM

Yeah fair enough if they're actually in your house even I wouldn't object to moving them :) but if it happens again it really shouldn't be a problem for pest control to just move them (a long way away if you like!) rather than kill them.

I surveyed bees and wasps for years, poking about their nests etc. and have only been stung twice - both times it was my fault for not paying attention and crushing a wasp under my hands.

I don't love wasps tbh, they can be a pain in autumn when they're dieing off and are desperate for sugar, but I like flies even less so anything that eats flies is good by me.

Unless we're playing Alloa anytime soon though this is starting to get away from a main board thread...

CentreLine
19-07-2019, 05:20 AM
Reintroducing wolves can be a good thing.
https://youtu.be/ysa5OBhXz-Q
Well worth a watch.

Yep seen it and read books on it. All that guff about dear learning to be dear again. Thing is wolves don’t much care if dinner is venison, lamb or beef. Maybe even children although generally not. The “big bad wolf” thing does give wolves a bad press but not all of it unjustified. This country has changed beyond recognition since we had wolves and is not an environment where wolves and people, including domestic animals, could live alongside one and other. Madness to suggest otherwise.
There are plenty that would agree with me in the areas surrounding Yellowstone.

Sean1875
19-07-2019, 09:11 AM
Good post. I absolutely despise urban gulls - they seem to be getting bigger and bigger and can genuinely be intimidating if they're gathering in numbers - but it's clearly a more complicated subject than I ever realised.

Is there an argument that their (apparently) growing strength and number in an urban context is affecting other species?

I remember being in Dundee for uni and some of the gulls there are closer related to dragons than other birds, massive. They all hang around the city centre too and essentially square up to you if you come within 10 metres of their patch. Down with the Young Mental Gulls.

BoomtownHibees
19-07-2019, 09:25 AM

What clever wasps you’ve got down your way!!!