PDA

View Full Version : Erich Schaedler

G B Young
15-07-2019, 08:07 PM
Picked up a copy of the book 'Shades: The short life and tragic death of Erich Schaedler' in a charity bookshop in Perth last week and have just taken the time to have a flick through it. I remember Shades better from his second spell at Easter Road so maybe hadn't fully appreciated what a beloved player he was and how much he in turn loved the club. He also formed a great bond with the Dundee fans during his four years at Dens, but it seems clear it was Hibs who were always closest to his heart.

I remember reading about his death in the papers and it's hard to believe it's more than 30 years since he died (he was only 36).

For those who saw him regularly during his peak years, what are your memories of him?

Bostonhibby
15-07-2019, 08:17 PM
Picked up a copy of the book 'Shades: The short life and tragic death of Erich Schaedler' in a charity bookshop in Perth last week and have just taken the time to have a flick through it. I remember Shades better from his second spell at Easter Road so maybe hadn't fully appreciated what a beloved player he was and how much he in turn loved the club. He also formed a great bond with the Dundee fans during his four years at Dens, but it seems clear it was Hibs who were always closest to his heart.

I remember reading about his death in the papers and it's hard to believe it's more than 30 years since he died (he was only 36).

For those who saw him regularly during his peak years, what are your memories of him?Hard as nails, and a good footballer as well,one of the fittest players we've had and a Hibs man through and through.

My actual favourite Hibs players. Watch his tackle and run to help set up a goal in the 7-0 rout of Hearts.

Also a great man off the pitch.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
15-07-2019, 08:20 PM
Solid built like a tank keep fit fanatic a superb physical specimen not the greatest of footballers but would run through a brick wall for the cause
If you got tackled by Shades you knew you had been in a tackle
What a long throw he had it was like a corner kick
The first goal in the 0-7 game for ORourke came from such a throw
I remember a Scottish Cup tie at Firhill versus Patrick he took a throw in outside their box the ball was cleared back to him and he volleyed it back into the far away top corner
I first met him on his trial game versus Morton Reserves when he was still a Stirling Albion player he gave me and my mates Comps for the game and let us run oot the tunnel after the game
A nicer guy you could not hope to meet
Thanks mister !
Erich Schaedler RIP

superfurryhibby
15-07-2019, 08:41 PM
I was only a boy, but thought Schaedler was awesome. Very attack minded and always bombing up the line, but rarely ever scored a goal. He must have contributed to many though.

Turnbull swapped him for Bobby Hutchison, not a bad player, but he couldnae have laced Shades’ boots. Alongside the swapping of Iain Munro for Fyffe and Scott, the departure of Schaedler was indicative of our managers slow loss of plot and the beginning of the slide that would lead to relegation.

G B Young
15-07-2019, 08:45 PM
Solid built like a tank keep fit fanatic a superb physical specimen not the greatest of footballers but would run through a brick wall for the cause
I remember a Scottish Cup tie at Firhill versus Patrick he took a throw in outside their box the ball was cleared back to him and he volleyed it back into the far away top corner
I first met him on his trial game versus Morton Reserves when he was still a Stirling Albion player he gave me and my mates Comps for the game and let us run oot the tunnel after the game
Thanks mister !
Erich Schaedler RIP

Great memories!

Any excuse to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzt4r_IIKVM

Out of interest, has the Tynecastle pitch always been on the wee size? It looks a tad insubstantial even back then.

oldbutdim
15-07-2019, 08:46 PM
Getting stretchered off, and half way off the pitch chucking bandages away and resuming his place.

Bryan Robson acting the hard man in a friendly against Man U and barging into Erich in an attempt to 'do' him. Bounced off with a dislocated/damaged shoulder and suffered from the injury for the rest of his career. Robson - no Erich!

cmcd
15-07-2019, 08:49 PM
I was only a boy, but thought Schaedler was awesome. Very attack minded and always bombing up the line, but rarely ever scored a goal. He must have contributed to many though.

Turnbull swapped him for Bobby Hutchison, not a bad player, but he couldnae have laced Shades’ boots. Alongside the swapping of Iain Munro for Fyffe and Scott, the departure of Schaedler was indicative of our managers slow loss of plot and the beginning of the slide that would lead to relegation.

All as above + I had the pleasure of meeting him in Shades bar the day after my wedding as my wife was from Peebles as was Eric . He was a great servant to Hibs and was an absolute gentleman.I still don't believe he took his own life . RIP Eric

tamig
15-07-2019, 09:08 PM
Getting stretchered off, and half way off the pitch chucking bandages away and resuming his place.

Bryan Robson acting the hard man in a friendly against Man U and barging into Erich in an attempt to 'do' him. Bounced off with a dislocated/damaged shoulder and suffered from the injury for the rest of his career. Robson - no Erich!
Just after Robson became the most expensive signing in British football history as well. I remember that tackle from Shades very well😀

tamig
15-07-2019, 09:13 PM
Shades was a fantastic player. As others have said, hard as nails and he also had a good turn of pace. He and Arthur were brilliant down the left wing. I always remember him being like one of those Weebles - he would get knocked down, do a couple of rolls and pop back up to his feet again. I think he was into the martial arts which probably accounted for his indestructibility! He is sadly missed.

Leithenhibby
15-07-2019, 09:19 PM

For those who saw him regularly during his peak years, what are your memories of him?

An absolute hero of mine.

Probably the very reason I loved playing left back as a youngster, as he was as hard as nails and boy could he put in a good hard sliding tackle.

Hibees through and through. Also, enjoyed frequenting his pub on match day as I lived across the road from Shades Bar, he was such a gentleman. :not worth

Here’s Lucy!
15-07-2019, 09:25 PM
Will not hear a word against Shades.

A brilliant player (and a good wee boozer too!)

:not worth

hhibs
15-07-2019, 09:30 PM
An absolute hero of mine.

Probably the very reason I loved playing left back as a youngster, as he was as hard as nails and boy could he put in a good hard sliding tackle.

Hibees through and through. Also, enjoyed frequenting his pub on match day as I lived across the road from Shades Bar, he was such a gentleman. :not worth

A very sad loss,had a wee weep when I got the news.

Jonnyboy
I have a few memories of meeting Erich. Around that time the players used to meet up at the Wally Dug in (I think) Howe Street and I was in there one night when Pat Stanton was getting grief from a Jambo. As the Jambo left the pub, Erich followed and returned a few minutes later rubbing his knuckles and stating "Nobody speaks to God like that and gets away with it" :greengrin

I also met him once at the Stock Car racing at Newtongrange and he happily chatted away for a good twenty minutes. It was cold and everyone had thick jackets on, except Erich who sported a thin looking t shirt. Hard as nails he was :agree:

Pat likes to tell the story of how Erich used to pick him up when they were going in for training. Hail, rain or snow Erich arrived in his cabriolet wearing just a shirt but no jacket.

He was a great guy, a great Hibby and never had any airs and graces

The book referred to by the OP was written by Colin Leslie, co-founder of Hibs Monthly and net user ColL

Niffy
Will not hear a word against Shades.

A brilliant player (and a good wee boozer too!)

He chucked me and my mate out his bar, we were fairly sozzled before a derby game and we’re still in his bar at 3:10 , we saw on the telly we were getting beat so stupidly decided to stay in bar , he said “no you’re not” and chucked us out.

Totally respect him for that :)

mim
15-07-2019, 09:31 PM
All as above + I had the pleasure of meeting him in Shades bar the day after my wedding as my wife was from Peebles as was Eric . He was a great servant to Hibs and was an absolute gentleman. I still don't believe he took his own life . RIP Eric

If you go to a secluded spot with a shotgun, intending to kill yourself, would you go to the trouble of concealing your car with tree branches etc?
No, I don't think so either. RIP Erich.

hhibs
15-07-2019, 09:32 PM
I have a few memories of meeting Erich. Around that time the players used to meet up at the Wally Dug in (I think) Howe Street and I was in there one night when Pat Stanton was getting grief from a Jambo. As the Jambo left the pub, Erich followed and returned a few minutes later rubbing his knuckles and stating "Nobody speaks to God like that and gets away with it" :greengrin

I also met him once at the Stock Car racing at Newtongrange and he happily chatted away for a good twenty minutes. It was cold and everyone had thick jackets on, except Erich who sported a thin looking t shirt. Hard as nails he was :agree:

Pat likes to tell the story of how Erich used to pick him up when they were going in for training. Hail, rain or snow Erich arrived in his cabriolet wearing just a shirt but no jacket.

He was a great guy, a great Hibby and never had any airs and graces

The book referred to by the OP was written by Colin Leslie, co-founder of Hibs Monthly and net user ColL

I too was there that night

Jonnyboy
15-07-2019, 09:33 PM

Crikey, you should have said, I'd have bought you a drink? :greengrin

surreyhibbie
15-07-2019, 09:36 PM
Thanks mister !
Erich Schaedler RIP

That cup tie at Patrick was my first away game. Everyone, including Shades, was amazed by that goal.
Was my favourite player as well. Although Pat Stanton will always be my hero...

Met Erich after a game at Arbroath some time later. Smashing guy.

Second goal in that game was a header from some new guy called Alan Gordon, who wasn't bad himself..

RIP Erich not many like you sir...

hhibs
15-07-2019, 09:39 PM
Crikey, you should have said, I'd have bought you a drink? :greengrin

Catch you next time jonnyboy

Jonnyboy
15-07-2019, 09:48 PM
Catch you next time jonnyboy

:aok:

hibsfan7
15-07-2019, 10:12 PM
Part of turnbulls tornadoes the best hibs team that i have ever seen

oldbutdim
15-07-2019, 10:12 PM
I recall a tale about Erich being set upon by three or four Gunts who recognised him and decided to give him a doing.
The outcome was Erich overpowering the yobs, and then phoning the cops as he held them captive in the phone box.

It may not have been true, but such was the persona of the man that I believed every word of it.

:aok:

ancient hibee
15-07-2019, 10:17 PM
Against Rangers a 50/50 ball with Tom Forsyth ,renowned hard case.A 20 yard run for each of them.A mighty collision,only one of them got up right away.It wasn’t Forsyth.

Deansy
15-07-2019, 10:40 PM
Loved him as a player, he would've run through a brick-wall for the jersey !. Also got to know him when he ran a boozer in Leith Walk for a while and he was brilliant to talk to - sadly, they don't make them like him any more !

Dalkeith Boy
15-07-2019, 10:42 PM

Just like most folks recall, he was as honest a player as the day is long. Tough and fitter than anyone with a very athletic physique. maybe not the most talented but gave his best every time, and could run all day...a fantastic Hibs player. I also used to see him walk about Poltonhall with his dog...devastating news of his tragic exit. Never to be forgotten

FilipinoHibs
15-07-2019, 10:46 PM
Hi pace and crunching tackles. Linked with Duncan down the left. Used go into Shades for a drink before games. Could not believe the news of his death.

kaimendhibs
15-07-2019, 10:50 PM
A fabulous left back. Have never seen a genuinely harder player at Hibs but a lovely man. Took time to speak to me, even when at Dundee.
True Hibernian legend

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Real Emerald
15-07-2019, 11:10 PM
When I was a wee boy I went to his house in Ladywood, Penicuik with my autograph book and asked if he could get all the players to sign it. He told me to come back the next night which I did and got all the Hibs players autographs from that brilliant team. 👍👍👍👍

Crunchie
15-07-2019, 11:39 PM
Hard as nails, and a good footballer as well,one of the fittest players we've had and a Hibs man through and through.

My actual favourite Hibs players. Watch his tackle and run to help set up a goal in the 7-0 rout of Hearts.

Also a great man off the pitch.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Can't say I've ever seen a defender do a rollover like he did in that heavenly move :agree:

Greentinted
15-07-2019, 11:39 PM
His on-pitch character is well documented above but it’s the off-pitch man I recall. I played in an amateur team in the early 80s and Shades was a pal of the guy who ran the team. He (Erich) would sometimes take us for training and occasionally pop along to our matches.
He was an absolute gem of a man, no ego, no little talented yet very far removed from his on-pitch persona which, for me anyway, mattered the most.

Stantons Angel
16-07-2019, 12:18 AM

It must have been some party night then?

I was there too and witnessed all thats been said.

He was a great player with a big heart. he was never the same after Turnnbull told him to pack his stuff and get up to Dundee.

He loved Hibs and really didnt want to leave. This was the time of the far to early break up of the Turnbulls Tornadoes team.

A team of players playing for the green and white jersey on their backs. So many great memories around that era and of watching the purest football id ever
seen.

I remember being at a dinner in the North Stand years ago and all that team were sitting together at the top table.

i hadnnt seen John Blackley for years so went over to say hello to him, when i sat on the empty chair next to him he said " oh dont sit there, thats Erich's seat" He was so highly thought of by his team mates then as his is today.

RIP Erich and thanks for the wonderful memories. x

BSEJVT
16-07-2019, 12:47 AM
One of my favourite Hibs players ever.

As others have said hard as nails and a great Hibby.

Was shocked by his passing and the manner of it and even all these years later still can't believe it.

RIP Erich, gone but not forgotten.

Forza Fred
16-07-2019, 03:41 AM
I was aware of Eric playing under 21 football for Melbourne Thistle, before most Hibs supporters were aware he existed.

Even in those days he had a reputation as a super fit tough tackling full back.

Willie McFarlane signed him for Stirling Albion after Melbourne Thistle....which included former Hibs director AllanMunro...beat Whitehill Welfare in the Under 21 Scottish Cup Final at Olive Bank in Musselburgh.

A few months later he joined Hibs, signed again by newly appointed Willie McFarlane I think, ..and I remember speaking to him at a function and asking if his progression through the ranks had caught him by surprise......which he agreed it did, and I think he wondered if he was ready for it.

He was though, and I remember his first team debut in a midweek friendly against Polish club, Gornik Zabre...he came on and his first tackle resulted in a player being carried off.

Unfortunately, the player was one of his team mates...Peter Cormack, who was victim of friendly fire.

There is little doubt that Eric was not the most technically gifted member of the Turnbull,’s Tornadoes, but he made up for that with other attributes.

MSK
16-07-2019, 05:29 AM
Against Rangers a 50/50 ball with Tom Forsyth ,renowned hard case.A 20 yard run for each of them.A mighty collision,only one of them got up right away.It wasn’t Forsyth.I was thinking of the exact tackle but couldn't remember the opponent, I remember it was at Easter road on the left touchline roughly in line with the 18 yard line in front of the east terrace. Shades absolutely slammed him and knocked him into the air, a good old fashioned ball/player winning tackle 😆

BILLYHIBS
16-07-2019, 07:07 AM
Back in the day HIBS versus Rangers games were blood and thunder affairs not for the faint hearted no quarter given or asked

Erich Schaedlers no nonesense style was well suited to those games

There is the famous image of John Greig holding his leg in agony and John Blackley slinking away in the background at Hampden

In one tousy game at Easter Road Alex Edwards got booted up in the air by Alex Macdonald got up and walked all over a prostrate MacDonald and then headed straight for the tunnel without waiting on the red card leaving MacDonald to lift up his jersey to examine the stud marks

Brilliant!

hibbie02
16-07-2019, 08:11 AM
Loved his determination and strength as a player. Dream team down the left with Arthur Duncan. A vital part of the 7-0.

I remember him most from the days when Shades was my local and spent many an evening chatting with him on those quiet midweek nights. Was a total shock when he went. Like others, I don't believe it was suicide.

Sammy7nil
16-07-2019, 08:13 AM
I recall an away game i think at Arbroath Hibs was player on the end of a terrible tackle. Ten minutes later Shades has the opportunity to tackle the culprit near the shy line. The Arbroath player went over the barrier and in to the crowd fair tackle in those days :wink

JimBHibees
16-07-2019, 08:13 AM
Loved his determination and strength as a player. Dream team down the left with Arthur Duncan. A vital part of the 7-0.

I remember him most from the days when Shades was my local and spent many an evening chatting with him on those quiet midweek nights. Was a total shock when he went. Like others, I don't believe it was suicide.

why would you think that?

Col L
16-07-2019, 08:16 AM
Always great to read threads about Erich.

I had the pleasure of writing this book in 2013 about one of my boyhood heroes. It was a labour of love as I was able to interview Pat, Sloop, Brownlie, Alex Edwards and many others. The most poignant of interviews I did was with our legendary physio Tom McNiven, who (like most people) thought the world of Erich. He was a complex character, and there will forever be mystery around his tragic death, but he is a true Hibs great who was hard as nails and never gave anything less than 100% when he pulled on that green and white shirt.

It may cost you a bit more than it did the OP, but SHADES can be found on sale these days in the club shop.

banarc7062
16-07-2019, 08:44 AM
Thanks mister !
Erich Schaedler RIP

Fully agree. A hibs great. GGTTH

hibbie02
16-07-2019, 09:20 AM
why would you think that?

I didn't know everything going on in his life, he never came across as a guy with a lot of issues when I talked to him. As others have alluded to, his death was a bit of a shock and questions were raised that never got properly answered. I have my own theory, but it is my own.... probably read too many Rebus books!

snedzuk
16-07-2019, 12:37 PM

I had the pleasure of writing this book in 2013 about one of my boyhood heroes. It was a labour of love as I was able to interview Pat, Sloop, Brownlie, Alex Edwards and many others. The most poignant of interviews I did was with our legendary physio Tom McNiven, who (like most people) thought the world of Erich. He was a complex character, and there will forever be mystery around his tragic death, but he is a true Hibs great who was hard as nails and never gave anything less than 100% when he pulled on that green and white shirt.

It may cost you a bit more than it did the OP, but SHADES can be found on sale these days in the club shop.

I got this when it came out Colin and for anyone who has not read this, then I would get a copy. I have 'Schaedler' on the back of my number 3 Hibs shirt for special games - like 2016. My all time favourite Hibs player.

Hibiza
16-07-2019, 01:05 PM
King Erich rip .

hibby6270
16-07-2019, 02:05 PM
He had a rather ungainly running style but boy could he motor!!
A solid, hard, but fair sliding tackle that would probably get him red carded in today’s mamby pamby game!:rolleyes:
My memory must be fading because I don’t recall him having 2 spells at ER. Presumably his TT spell was the first one. Guess I’ll have to dust down the book from the book shelf to reacquaint myself of his time at Hibs.:wink:

Here’s Lucy!
16-07-2019, 02:07 PM
I recall an away game i think at Arbroath Hibs was player on the end of a terrible tackle. Ten minutes later Shades has the opportunity to tackle the culprit near the shy line. The Arbroath player went over the barrier and in to the crowd fair tackle in those days :wink

Sounds fair enough to me! :wink:

ahibby
16-07-2019, 03:12 PM
I got his autograph at Olivebank Musselburgh in early 70s. Had a dish of a girlfriend with him. I wanted her autograph too but he was having none of that. A very ameniable guy otherwise.

Iggy Pope
16-07-2019, 04:24 PM
He had a rather ungainly running style but boy could he motor!!
A solid, hard, but fair sliding tackle that would probably get him red carded in today’s mamby pamby game!:rolleyes:
My memory must be fading because I don’t recall him having 2 spells at ER. Presumably his TT spell was the first one. Guess I’ll have to dust down the book from the book shelf to reacquaint myself of his time at Hibs.:wink:

Came back around 82 or 83 for his second spell.
Loved the man to bits. Did my early drinking in the Vickie Bar in which he had a stake with his partner Joe Ufnowski, another departed Hibby. He then took the Football Arms on, later to become Shades, and we’d move back and forward between the two pubs.

Erich was a ****ing hero, no question.

Iggy Pope
16-07-2019, 04:25 PM

Post of the month.

hibby6270
16-07-2019, 07:56 PM
Came back around 82 or 83 for his second spell.
Loved the man to bits. Did my early drinking in the Vickie Bar in which he had a stake with his partner Joe Ufnowski, another departed Hibby. He then took the Football Arms on, later to become Shades, and we’d move back and forward between the two pubs.

Erich was a ****ing hero, no question.

Cheers Iggy.
I was living away from Edinburgh 82-87 just after getting married. Didn’t attend many games then. No internet back then, so more difficult to keep up with goings on at ER. On reflection though, that’s no excuse on my part to miss that a TT legend came back to the club.

You’ll be telling me next that Joe Baker returned to the club in the 70s wearing white boots, 10 years after his first spell!!:greengrin

Forza Fred
17-07-2019, 03:53 AM
Cheers Iggy.
I was living away from Edinburgh 82-87 just after getting married. Didn’t attend many games then. No internet back then, so more difficult to keep up with goings on at ER. On reflection though, that’s no excuse on my part to miss that a TT legend came back to the club.

You’ll be telling me next that Joe Baker returned to the club in the 70s wearing white boots, 10 years after his first spell!!:greengrin

And I saw Alex Cropley play for Hibs when he came back from Aston Villa in 1982.....

sadtom
17-07-2019, 01:04 PM
Used to go on the E.S. Hibs supporters bus...mad times.
As a player the 2 things i remember most were him being the 1st player i knew with a trademark long throw. I used to practice them myself.
The other, as stated numerously. Being hard as!
I recall him and Jackie Mac having an accidental mid air head collision. Jackie was no softy but required a fair bit of treatment. Shades bounced straight back up. I swear he had a rubber ar*e.

EI255
17-07-2019, 01:15 PM
I used to be a Hibs ball boy back in the day and Shades was the kindest and funniest Hibs player I ever encountered in my time there. So unbelievably sad when he passed the way he did.

Rip Shades.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Kato
17-07-2019, 03:15 PM
And I saw Alex Cropley play for Hibs when he came back from Aston Villa in 1982.....

Hibs reserves.

jdships
17-07-2019, 03:45 PM

Shades was a family friend and I mean a real friend in the true sense of the word.
Came about the house regularly and kicked a ball about with our son and neighbors kids .
He came to see us three days before he died and he was his normal self no inkling of what was to come..
we knew he had some personal problems which he spoke to my wife about now and again.
This is not the place really to talk about that
we still miss his happy smile and love him for the Hibs bits and pieces he brought our son and daughter
RIP dear friend we still think and talk about you
:flag::hibees

Hi Heid Yin
17-07-2019, 04:45 PM
Erich Schaedler is my all-time favourite left back, I put him narrowly ahead of David Murphy.
Erich was dynamic, solid, tough as old boots, and linked seamlessly with our Arthur Duncan.
He was a 1st choice Turnbull Tornado..Need I say more.

ads913
17-07-2019, 05:34 PM
i worked for Eric at shades bar i was very young and still cannot figure why he took his own life .
He was daft as brush and gentleman.
I told this story on a previous thread about the day Hibs got beat in the league cup final off Aberdeen.
When the supporters returned to shades from Hampden they were still in good spirits dancing on the tables and making a noise.Eric Instantly gave me a telling off for the allowing it.
i went for a smoke and came back to him not only on the tables and singing and pouring beer over his head .
Rip buddy

O'Rourke3
17-07-2019, 08:00 PM
Another hero of mine as i normally ended up at left back as the one in most teams thaw was left footed. Brilliant for the team and rewarded with a Scotland call up. The original story was from his time at Dundee but he maintained it in his second spell..... training shirtless in the winter surrounded by snow. As noted a few times, harc as nails.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
17-07-2019, 08:48 PM

So ye did. Baws. Played in a trial with about 20 handy local amateurs. Told me this himself.

Sammy7nil
17-07-2019, 10:00 PM

Can anyone remember this ? I think we drew 1_1 before losing 2-1 at ER in the Scottish Cup?

Sammy7nil
17-07-2019, 10:05 PM
Shades was a family friend and I mean a real friend in the true sense of the word.
Came about the house regularly and kicked a ball about with our son and neighbors kids .
He came to see us three days before he died and he was his normal self no inkling of what was to come..
we knew he had some personal problems which he spoke to my wife about now and again.
This is not the place really to talk about that
we still miss his happy smile and love him for the Hibs bits and pieces he brought our son and daughter
RIP dear friend we still think and talk about you
:flag::hibees

Sorry for your loss so him play a few times in early 70's always seemed a wholehearted guy.

SideBurns
17-07-2019, 10:18 PM
So ye did. Baws. Played in a trial with about 20 handy local amateurs. Told me this himself.

I definitely saw Cropley playing for the reserves at Easter Road (I used to go to a lot of reserve games in the early 80s). Don't think he played many games though, all those injuries must've caught up with him by that stage.

I wasn't lucky enough to have seen him play with the TTs, but he's been unlucky enough to pick me up in his taxi when I've been bevvied a couple of times!

Tom Hart RIP
18-07-2019, 06:09 AM
I definitely saw Cropley playing for the reserves at Easter Road (I used to go to a lot of reserve games in the early 80s). Don't think he played many games though, all those injuries must've caught up with him by that stage.

I wasn't lucky enough to have seen him play with the TTs, but he's been unlucky enough to pick me up in his taxi when I've been bevvied a couple of times!

I seem to remember hearing that Alex had officially retired but thought about about making a comeback. Pat was the manager and agreed that he would play a reserve game to test his fitness. Cecil Graham found out and he made him come off the pitch as Alex had already been paid out his pension and if the SFA/FA found out he was playing again they would demand the money back.
Might be wrong but that's how I remember it.

Also Erich was one of my favourite ever players. Hard as nails and a better footballer than he was given credit for. We scored lots of goals from his long throws which were flicked on by Alan Gordon similar to the first in the 7-0 game.

Didn't he get a police award for disarming an armed robber who tried to rob the pub?

BILLYHIBS
18-07-2019, 06:32 AM
Can anyone remember this ? I think we drew 1_1 before losing 2-1 at ER in the Scottish Cup?

Yeah!

I am sure the second game was played in terrible weather ( my excuse).

Terry Wilson ripped us apart so we signed him shortly after but he only lasted 9 games scoring 2

BILLYHIBS
18-07-2019, 07:08 AM

Stanton was Manager and gave him a chance to prove his fitness in a reserve game

WP Harrower saw what was happening and told Stanton to sub him as we had already paid out his pension and it was against SFA rules at that time :confused:

Iggy Pope
18-07-2019, 07:22 AM

Apologies Fred you were right and apologies too for the ferocity of that response.

As an aside here’s a wee cutting I have from the end of his time at Villa. This would be about mid season 80/81 I think but I’ve no date.

Iggy Pope
18-07-2019, 07:23 AM
Stanton was Manager and gave him a chance to prove his fitness in a reserve game

WP Harrower saw what was happening and told Stanton to sub him as we had already paid out his pension and it was against SFA rules at that time :confused:

Cecil Graham actually. Now that I’m getting my facts right :wink:

Iggy Pope
18-07-2019, 07:25 AM

You’re right. I’m very wrong.
Bumped into the man at the weekend and he looks to be keeping better but I think he’s retired the Taxi!

BILLYHIBS
18-07-2019, 08:27 AM
Cecil Graham actually. Now that I’m getting my facts right :wink:

The old grey matter ain’t what it used to be:

”For several weeks I would spend all week training in Edinburgh only going home at weekends, and eventually I was fit enough to be selected for the reserve side in a game against Dundee United reserves at Tannadice. We lost 4-0 and I found the going unbelievably tough but realised that it would take time to again achieve full match fitness. I took part in several other games including a fixture against Celtic reserves at Parkhead, but things finally came to a head in a game against Rangers second team when a HIBS side packed with inexperienced youngsters lost 6-0 at home. During the game the HIBS Secretary Cecil Graham actually strode onto the field while the proceedings were taking place to tell me to come off immediately as HIBS didn’t have clearance from the SFA for me to have played in any of the games,”

CROPS: The Alex Cropley Story
Alex Cropley and Tom Wright

surreyhibbie
18-07-2019, 08:52 AM
Bumped into the man at the weekend and he looks to be keeping better but I think he’s retired the Taxi!

That's good news. I spoke to him before and after the Cup Final and he was looking a bit frail then.

One of my favourite ever players, and a gentleman as well!

SideBurns
18-07-2019, 09:23 AM

The old grey matter ain’t what it used to be:

”For several weeks I would spend all week training in Edinburgh only going home at weekends, and eventually I was fit enough to be selected for the reserve side in a game against Dundee United reserves at Tannadice. We lost 4-0 and I found the going unbelievably tough but realised that it would take time to again achieve full match fitness. I took part in several other games including a fixture against Celtic reserves at Parkhead, but things finally came to a head in a game against Rangers second team when a HIBS side packed with inexperienced youngsters lost 6-0 at home. During the game the HIBS Secretary Cecil Graham actually strode onto the field while the proceedings were taking place to tell me to come off immediately as HIBS didn’t have clearance from the SFA for me to have played in any of the games,”

CROPS: The Alex Cropley Story
Alex Cropley and Tom Wright

Thanks to all for clarifying the Crops brief return situation. I hadn't heard that before (should maybe read Tom's book).

Back to Erich, I only saw him in his 2nd spell too but was still hard as nails. One game that sticks out is the time we beat Fergie's Dons 2-1 (Willie Irvine scoring both). Shades, Sloop, and, of course, Arthur were all playing and past their best, but all were superb that day in a great win over a side who'd defeated Bayern Munich & Real Madrid the previous season.

Btw, I had the pleasure of proof reading Colin's book on Shades, so any mistakes, while initially his, should've been spotted by me 😁

Iggy Pope
18-07-2019, 09:47 AM
That's good news. I spoke to him before and after the Cup Final and he was looking a bit frail then.

He’s still a bit frail but he’s ok.

FilipinoHibs
18-07-2019, 09:50 AM

What a graceful, clever player but packed a tackle too. Lucky to have seen him play for the TTs.

BILLYHIBS
18-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Thanks to all for clarifying the Crops brief return situation. I hadn't heard that before (should maybe read Tom's book).

Back to Erich, I only saw him in his 2nd spell too but was still hard as nails. One game that sticks out is the time we beat Fergie's Dons 2-1 (Willie Irvine scoring both). Shades, Sloop, and, of course, Arthur were all playing and past their best, but all were superb that day in a great win over a side who'd defeated Bayern Munich & Real Madrid the previous season.

Btw, I had the pleasure of proof reading Colin's book on Shades, so any mistakes, while initially his, should've been spotted by me 😁
I had the pleasure of watching them both at their height playing for the TTs

Shades his wee legs going like drumsticks his arms pumping by his side as he crashed into tackles only to bounce back up again and career up the left wing with the ball looking for Arthur

Crops 9st dripping wet but what a player fearless in the tackle quick feet with a sublime left foot perfect for cross field passes and volleys against the Hearts

Alex Ferguson broke Cropleys leg at Brockville in a cynical challenge
ET never spoke to Fergie again

brog
18-07-2019, 11:47 AM
I had the pleasure of watching them both at their height playing for the TTs

Shades his wee legs going like drumsticks his arms pumping by his side as he crashed into tackles only to bounce back up again and career up the left wing with the ball looking for Arthur

Crops 9st dripping wet but what a player fearless in the tackle quick feet with a sublime left foot perfect for cross field passes and volleys against the Hearts

Alex Ferguson broke Cropleys leg at Brockville in a cynical challenge
ET never spoke to Fergie again

You just beat me on the Fergie/Crops one Billy. There's a Shades connection though as he chased Fergie down the tunnel at Brockville. Fergie hid in the dressing room & Shades tried to kick the door in. My fav Shades moment though was him playing against Johnny Doyle (Ayr at time ) at ER. Doyle was niggling whole game & Erich had enough. He chased him across the park from the current east stand side nipping at his heels the whole way. It was like road runner!!
The other players all stopped & watched this wonderful sight & when they finally reached the other side of the pitch Shades booted Doyle right over the wall & into the old North enclosure. The whole crowd, even the Ayr players, were in convulsions. Not even sure Erich got a yellow! Great man.

Deansy
18-07-2019, 04:02 PM
Back in the day HIBS versus Rangers games were blood and thunder affairs not for the faint hearted no quarter given or asked

Erich Schaedlers no nonesense style was well suited to those games

There is the famous image of John Greig holding his leg in agony and John Blackley slinking away in the background at Hampden

In one tousy game at Easter Road Alex Edwards got booted up in the air by Alex Macdonald got up and walked all over a prostrate MacDonald and then headed straight for the tunnel without waiting on the red card leaving MacDonald to lift up his jersey to examine the stud marks

Brilliant!

Absolutely loved those games against the Hun in those days - in fact 3-0 seemed to be the regular score (in our favour) throughout that decade ! (any stats fanatics confirm this ?)

One game in particular stands out for me but as it's almost 50 years ago the old memory could be playing up but this is the best of what I can remember. It was a either a League or Scottish Cup tie at ER being played at 3 o'clock on a Wednesday-afternoon due to the power-cuts/miners-strike (1972-73 ?). It had been torrential rain all day and the pitch was absolutely soaking, Tommy MaClean, the Hun-winger (no stranger to diving/cheating) darted in from the wing and Shades halved him a beauty (no foul imo, just a typical tackle of the day !), this sent MaClean flying into the air and he landed face-first on the pitch but his momentum carried him sliding through the mud 7-8 yards to just inside our box. I can still remember, as if in slo-mo, Bobby Davidson (for younger Hibees - if you think Craig Thomson is bad, try and imagine him 10 times worse and that gives a faint idea of what Davidson was like - he absolutely hated Hibs !) the referee that day, watching MaClean slide into our box and as soon as he reached it, blew for a penalty ! No danger of giving the alleged 'foul' where it actually happened, he actually waited to see where MaClean ended-up before blowing - ER went mental ! Afaicr, the game ended at 1-1 but as the players were trottiing towards the tunnel, Shades went full pelt for MaClean and scudded the wee-****** a beauty on the back of his head ! That was followed by the usual rammy at Hibs v Hun games in those days before it all quitened down. I'm almost certain that our then chairman, Tom Hart, was quoted in the papers as calling the Hun 'CHEATS' and the GFA fined him (£400/800 ??) for bringing the game into disrepute - maybe a historian can correct/confirm/educate me on this ?

Tom Hart RIP
18-07-2019, 04:08 PM
Agree about Bobby Davidson. I read that he thought he was getting the 74 World Cup final then went in the huff when Jack Taylor got it. Can’t believe he was even considered.
I think the Tom Hart fine was for calling John McDonald a cheat for diving in the box a few years later.

lapsedhibee
18-07-2019, 04:20 PM
Yeah!

I am sure the second game was played in terrible weather ( my excuse).

Terry Wilson ripped us apart so we signed him shortly after but he only lasted 9 games scoring 2

It was. Wettest, most miserable game I ever saw at ER. And that was from the stand - PGS only knows what it was like from the terracing.

BILLYHIBS
18-07-2019, 04:21 PM
Absolutely loved those games against the Hun in those days - in fact 3-0 seemed to be the regular score (in our favour) throughout that decade ! (any stats fanatics confirm this ?)

One game in particular stands out for me but as it's almost 50 years ago the old memory could be playing up but this is the best of what I can remember. It was a either a League or Scottish Cup tie at ER being played at 3 o'clock on a Wednesday-afternoon due to the power-cuts/miners-strike (1972-73 ?). It had been torrential rain all day and the pitch was absolutely soaking, Tommy MaClean, the Hun-winger (no stranger to diving/cheating) darted in from the wing and Shades halved him a beauty (no foul imo, just a typical tackle of the day !), this sent MaClean flying into the air and he landed face-first on the pitch but his momentum carried him sliding through the mud 7-8 yards to just inside our box. I can still remember, as if in slo-mo, Bobby Davidson (for younger Hibees - if you think Craig Thomson is bad, try and imagine him 10 times worse and that gives a faint idea of what Davidson was like - he absolutely hated Hibs !) the referee that day, watching MaClean slide into our box and as soon as he reached it, blew for a penalty ! No danger of giving the alleged 'foul' where it actually happened, he actually waited to see where MaClean ended-up before blowing - ER went mental ! Afaicr, the game ended at 1-1 but as the players were trottiing towards the tunnel, Shades went full pelt for MaClean and scudded the wee-****** a beauty on the back of his head ! That was followed by the usual rammy at Hibs v Hun games in those days before it all quitened down. I'm almost certain that our then chairman, Tom Hart, was quoted in the papers as calling the Hun 'CHEATS' and the GFA fined him (£400/800 ??) for bringing the game into disrepute - maybe a historian can correct/confirm/educate me on this ?
Alex Mickey Edwards was the culprit
After a 90 minutes run in with Tommy McLean decided to exact his own revenge by following McLean up the tunnel and smack him oan the back of the heid cue melee!
Edwards went on to add in the same article that Shades was hard as .... and would be worth 10m now and that was 10 years ago 😁

Iggy Pope
18-07-2019, 04:37 PM
It was. Wettest, most miserable game I ever saw at ER. And that was from the stand - PGS only knows what it was like from the terracing.

I stood in the Dunbar end that night when it was common for such occasions. Purgatory.

Deansy
18-07-2019, 05:14 PM
Alex Mickey Edwards was the culprit
After a 90 minutes run in with Tommy McLean decided to exact his own revenge by following McLean up the tunnel and smack him oan the back of the heid cue melee!
Edwards went on to add in the same article that Shades was hard as .... and would be worth 10m now and that was 10 years ago 😁

Cheers, I stand corrected ! I'm also corrected Re Tom Hart, I finally managed to find the right info -

'On 7 November 1981 Rangers were awarded a penalty in front of the ‘Cowshed’ when John MacDonald conned referee Louis Thow with a dive so outrageous that the ‘normally placid’ Hibs’ Chairman Tom Hart publically branded him a ‘cheat.” Rangers won the game 2-1 and McDonald subsequently earned him the nickname ‘Polaris’. Hart was fined by the SFA for his comments'

SideBurns
18-07-2019, 05:35 PM
Cheers, I stand corrected ! I'm also corrected Re Tom Hart, I finally managed to find the right info -

'On 7 November 1981 Rangers were awarded a penalty in front of the ‘Cowshed’ when John MacDonald conned referee Louis Thow with a dive so outrageous that the ‘normally placid’ Hibs’ Chairman Tom Hart publically branded him a ‘cheat.” Rangers won the game 2-1 and McDonald subsequently earned him the nickname ‘Polaris’. Hart was fined by the SFA for his comments'

Benny Brazil was the closest player to McDonald but didn't touch him. I'm sure Shades went for the cheating wee Hun in the tunnel after the game? Highlights were on so might get it on YouTube. Gordon Rae scored a screamer, Jim Bett equalised with, admittedly, a pretty good 20 yarder.

Peevemor
18-07-2019, 05:53 PM
Benny saw what was coming and stayed a wee bit away from McDonald holding his arms out to the side to show the referee that he wasn't touching him. McDonald's dive was outrageous.

Deansy
18-07-2019, 06:12 PM
Benny Brazil was the closest player to McDonald but didn't touch him. I'm sure Shades went for the cheating wee Hun in the tunnel after the game? Highlights were on so might get it on YouTube. Gordon Rae scored a screamer, Jim Bett equalised with, admittedly, a pretty good 20 yarder.

Cheers - did indeed find it on YouTube -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glHjPwhAPdI

Play it at 0.25 and you can clearly see he dives, no contact whatsoever !

SideBurns
18-07-2019, 06:23 PM
Cheers - did indeed find it on YouTube -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glHjPwhAPdI

Play it at 0.25 and you can clearly see he dives, no contact whatsoever !

You could say it's incredible the ref fell for that, but of course he likely didn't. The Huns needed all the help they could get from their pals amongst the officials back in those days. You can actually see Shades going over to remonstrate with McDonald before the action cuts out, sure the story was he went after the wee cheat in the tunnel at full time.

JimBHibees
18-07-2019, 06:49 PM

The fact the ref was Louis Thow needs to be taken into account absolute one of the long list of rangers refs. Can remember a game at ER which defied belief how biased he was. From the usual Ayrshire hotbed of impartial refs. Can also remember Rangers news otherwise known as Record running doctored pictures the days after making out there was contact. Nothing changes.

weecounty hibby
18-07-2019, 07:14 PM
When I was about 12/13 that was where we sat every game, in the old cowshed. I was probably about 15/20 metres away from that and it is still just about the worst dive I've ever seen. Shades was raging and had to be dragged away from McDonald by his teammates. Cheating *******s then, cheating *******s now. Nothing will ever change with them.