PDA

View Full Version : Ojo signs for Aberdeen

The Green Goblin
14-07-2019, 11:22 PM
https://twitter.com/aberdeenfc/status/1150465004912730112?s=21

Was it just about money in the end? Any thoughts?

GG

Hibernian32
14-07-2019, 11:31 PM
Not bothered if it was if it wasn't he's no here, let's be honest we clearly offered more than the contract he was on a S****horpe other than European football there's no attraction other than money if I'm being honest.

monktonharp
14-07-2019, 11:32 PM
looks likely. and, I quite liked the comments from our manager prior to this confirmation. he pointed out the facts.

Forza Fred
14-07-2019, 11:36 PM
Food chain basics.

Just as we can pay more than St Johnstone, so Aberdeen can pay more than us.

We are 5th in the revenue league table and will usually be outbid by those above us.

Sometimes we will offer more than clubs below us and not even consider it a big deal, just as this is no big deal.

Simple really.

CraigHibee
14-07-2019, 11:37 PM
Looks like money was the difference, goalposts were changed and he signed for the sheep ****gers

neil7908
15-07-2019, 12:03 AM
Food chain basics.

We are 5th in the revenue league table and will usually be outbid by those above us.

Sometimes we will offer more than clubs below us and not even consider it a big deal, just as this is no big deal.

Simple really.

All very true and this must be no. 1 on the list for the new owner. We won't consistently finish ahead of Aberdeen if we can't match them for wages.

jeffers
15-07-2019, 12:07 AM
And yet our owner claims our transfer budget is competitive. I asked on another thread, but what is he basing that on and just who is it competitive with ?

JJP
15-07-2019, 12:10 AM
Hope Scott Allan ties him up in knots and properly humiliates him next time we play Aberdeen.

Vini1875
15-07-2019, 12:36 AM
No surprise really and until we are backed by Ron financially or are reaping the rewards of European football each season then it is not going to change.

DetroitHibs
15-07-2019, 01:05 AM
All very true and this must be no. 1 on the list for the new owner. We won't consistently finish ahead of Aberdeen if we can't match them for wages.

Exactly this. If we don’t compete with Aberdeen financially, we’ll struggle to compete on the pitch. Also think they have the best manager in the league.

HH81
15-07-2019, 03:44 AM
Food chain basics.

Simple really.

If he originally agreed a contract which Hibs felt were fair and he moved the goal posts to get more cash then I'm glad he has gone to Aberdeen.

I don't think he has come out of all this very well at all.

Greencore
15-07-2019, 04:14 AM
Ron, gees cash. Cheers.

Just Jimmy
15-07-2019, 05:09 AM
If he originally agreed a contract which Hibs felt were fair and he moved the goal posts to get more cash then I'm glad he has gone to Aberdeen.

I don't think he has come out of all this very well at all.whilst I agree, I doubt he'll care. Nor will Aberdeen until he plays the same trick in a year or so when someone else comes calling.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Forza Fred
15-07-2019, 05:31 AM
whilst I agree, I doubt he'll care. Nor will Aberdeen until he plays the same trick in a year or so when someone else comes calling.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

He won’t.
Aberdeen won’t
Nobody will unless connected with Hibs.

Reality is, until the signature is on the contract he is free to negotiate with anyone,whom his current club have sanctioned.

To use a Calderwoodism.....he looked inside two bags of sweeties, and chose the bigger one.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-07-2019, 06:24 AM
So we move on to the next target and get it done.

Iain G
15-07-2019, 06:46 AM
According to Ojo today it's because McInnes offered to come pick him up in the middle of the night in Edinburgh and made him feel welcome, aka, they offered me more cash and I bit their hands off...

Jim44
15-07-2019, 07:20 AM
He won’t.
Aberdeen won’t
Nobody will unless connected with Hibs.

Reality is, until the signature is on the contract he is free to negotiate with anyone,whom his current club have sanctioned.

To use a Calderwoodism.....he looked inside two bags of sweeties, and chose the bigger one.

:agree: I hope he didn’t see green soor plooms in our bag. It’s disappointing for us but life goes on and we’ll get over it. :hibees

JimboHibs
15-07-2019, 07:31 AM

I don't think he has come out of all this very well at all.

Im sure he will have sleepless nights worrying that you think he hasnt come out of this very well.

lyonhibs
15-07-2019, 07:52 AM
Quite frankly my dears, I don't give a damn.

Players that want to play for Hibs and Heckingbottom only please.

Marvellous
15-07-2019, 07:54 AM
And yet our owner claims our transfer budget is competitive. I asked on another thread, but what is he basing that on and just who is it competitive with ?

How does this contradict anything that he's said? One single target chooses Aberdeen over Hibs since his arrival and people are taking the huff and questioning the owner already :hilarious.

Weegreenman
15-07-2019, 08:04 AM
Exactly this. If we don’t compete with Aberdeen financially, we’ll struggle to compete on the pitch. Also think they have the best manager in the league.

Ye I think your bang on. Aberdeen have some American sugar daddy I believe and we just have an American/ Peruvian

worcesterhibby
15-07-2019, 08:21 AM
I am quite brassed off about this outcome...and I don't get all this "if he doesn't buy in to what we are doing then we don't want him" guff.

He's a pro footballer with no allegiance to any team in Scotland. We were in for him, had seemingly "sold him the vision" weeks ago, then Aberdeen turn up and say..."How about a bit more money and European football" what do you expect him to say ?

We looked terrible on Saturday...The Midfield is where games are won and lost..ours looked awful, with players played in the wrong roles and no one with Dig and Drive. Seemingly Ojo was the Dig and the drive...but we lost out on him to our biggest rival for 3rd place. It's one thing missing out on a player because you don't feel he's worth spending the money on...it's another to lose out to him to the very team you are trying to catch up with.

One step forward 3 steps back at the moment.

Let's hope for some good news transfer wise this week. Someone genuinely inspiring.

Marvellous
15-07-2019, 08:24 AM
I am quite brassed off about this outcome...and I don't get all this "if he doesn't buy in to what we are doing then we don't want him" guff.

He's a pro footballer with no allegiance to any team in Scotland. We were in for him, had seemingly "sold him the vision" weeks ago, then Aberdeen turn up and say..."How about a bit more money and European football" what do you expect him to say ?

We looked terrible on Saturday...The Midfield is where games are won and lost..ours looked awful, with players played in the wrong roles and no one with Dig and Drive. Seemingly Ojo was the Dig and the drive...but we lost out on him to our biggest rival for 3rd place. It's one thing missing out on a player because you don't feel he's worth spending the money on...it's another to lose out to him to the very team you are trying to catch up with.

One step forward 3 steps back at the moment.

Let's hope for some good news transfer wise this week. Someone genuinely inspiring.

Maybe Aberdeen are willing to pay him more than we think he's worth?

MB62
15-07-2019, 08:26 AM
I would like to think that, some time in the not too distant future, we will be competing with Aberdeen etc on the wage front.
Debt free and saving a small fortune on not having to pay back a mortgage will hopefully allow us to pay a bit more to entice better quality of players?

jeffers
15-07-2019, 08:26 AM
How does this contradict anything that he's said? One single target chooses Aberdeen over Hibs since his arrival and people are taking the huff and questioning the owner already :hilarious.

I'm merely asking the question. He said he was happy with our budget and it was competitive. What is he basing that on and who is it competitive with ? I don't expect it to match the OF, but given he talked about catching Aberdeen I'd expect it to be competitive with them.

Marvellous
15-07-2019, 08:32 AM
I'm merely asking the question. He said he was happy with our budget and it was competitive. What is he basing that on and who is it competitive with ? I don't expect it to match the OF, but given he talked about catching Aberdeen I'd expect it to be competitive with them.

It looks a lot like we did just compete with Aberdeen for a signing. :confused:

GreenCastle
15-07-2019, 08:33 AM
It’s been a while since we had a transfer saga which became so public and really from the start a bit of a mess for various reasons.

Speaking with a few S****horpe fans they said he is a good player with a decent team but him and his agent can be snakes. Basically if things aren’t going his way you can't trust the guy.

I have a feeling he will be decent for Aberdeen and obviously makes it more frustrating we are short in midfield and playing catch up with a rival.

As others have stated we do need to find a way to beat Aberdeen as our record against them has been awful in last few years.

I don’t think McInnes is that good a manager but his coaching staff and club have managed to build a team solid enough for the league but even Dons fans often get frustrated with the manager due to playing style and selections.

jeffers
15-07-2019, 08:34 AM

In the same way we compete with Celtic for the league ?

Marvellous
15-07-2019, 08:37 AM
In the same way we compete with Celtic for the league ?

I don't know how much more Aberdeen offered him so I can't say. Do you?

worcesterhibby
15-07-2019, 08:40 AM
Maybe Aberdeen are willing to pay him more than we think he's worth?

Maybe..I certainly hope that is the case, we were initially going to get him for free, so maybe the costs have just gone beyond what we think he is worth..like you say. I guess the best case scenario is that we are thinking that with £125,000 transfer fee and higher wages we can actually get a better player. Let's hope we actually know who that better player is and that we get hold of him soon.

:agree:

jeffers
15-07-2019, 08:41 AM
I don't know how much more Aberdeen offered him so I can't say. Do you?

No. That's exactly my point. I don't know what their playing budget is either. It's not even about Ojo as such I'm just interested in clarification from our new owner in what our budget being competitive actually means and who it is competitive with.

Steve20
15-07-2019, 08:42 AM

And lost.

I don't know if this guy is any good or not, but he was clearly our first choice for that position and the fact that we still won't match Aberdeen for players says nothing will change.

It makes me wonder why people got so excited about the change of ownership, if we aren't going to be making extra effort to bring in targets. Never mind this behind the scenes, making changes to the stadium, indoor pitch etc stuff. It's on the pitch that counts and we need to be spending the money on that.

Our squad still needs a number of players to even think about a top 4 finish and losing players to rival clubs is not the way to do it.

SquashedFrogg
15-07-2019, 08:43 AM
No. That's exactly my point. I don't know what their playing budget is either. It's not even about Ojo as such I'm just interested in clarification from our new owner in what our budget being competitive actually means and who it is competitive with.

The club have outlined our ambitions a number of times. So I guess this answers your questions.

BoomtownHibees
15-07-2019, 08:44 AM
And lost.

I don't know if this guy is any good or not, but he was clearly our first choice for that position and the fact that we still won't match Aberdeen for players says nothing will change.

It makes me wonder why people got so excited about the change of ownership, if we aren't going to be making extra effort to bring in targets. Never mind this behind the scenes, making changes to the stadium, indoor pitch etc stuff. It's on the pitch that counts and we need to be spending the money on that.

Our squad still needs a number of players to even think about a top 4 finish and losing players to rival clubs is not the way to do it.

What if Aberdeen offered double what we did? Does “being competitive” mean we should just offer double as well, even though we have offered what we think he is worth?

Marvellous
15-07-2019, 08:45 AM
And lost.

Being competitive does not mean winning every single time. We've lost out on one signing to Aberdeen since he's arrived; and we know nothing about how much Aberdeen are paying him or about how highly Heckingbottom values him.

I don't think this contradicts anything he's said.

Greencore
15-07-2019, 08:45 AM
Ron.. Gee.. Us.. More... Money...

jeffers
15-07-2019, 08:50 AM
And lost.

This is what I'm starting to think. I was excited initially then I realised RG wasn't even a Hibs fan, it's still not clear to me why he wants to buy a football team never mind our team. He appears an honourable guy, but it doesn't look like he's going to be making big investment in the club and his "pony up" line doesn't fill me with encouragement. Clearly it's early days and too early to make a final judgement. but so far it appears we've replaced one Steady Eddie with another one, so nothing has changed.

Sioux
15-07-2019, 08:54 AM

You're aware that Aberdeen take in £5m a year more than we do? If not you've not been paying attention.

If you expected a sudden magic wand that gives us that extra £5m you're in la la land.

If a player is happy with an offer we've made to him, and that seems to have been the case here, why should we go back and increase the offer solely on the basis someone came along at the last minute and offered more?

If you agreed to buy a car for £10k, and when you went to pick it up the price changed to £12k, would you take it? Naw, only a dafty would do that.

jacomo
15-07-2019, 09:06 AM
You're aware that Aberdeen take in £5m a year more than we do? If not you've not been paying attention.

If you expected a sudden magic wand that gives us that extra £5m you're in la la land.

If a player is happy with an offer we've made to him, and that seems to have been the case here, why should we go back and increase the offer solely on the basis someone came along at the last minute and offered more?

If you agreed to buy a car for £10k, and when you went to pick it up the price changed to £12k, would you take it? Naw, only a dafty would do that.

Aberdeen don’t make £5m more a year than us. They report a much higher turnover than us but - as has been pointed out - it seems that we are not comparing like-for-like.

SMAXXA
15-07-2019, 09:12 AM
Can we remove all reference to Funso Ojo and move on guffie that he is 😉😂

Greencore
15-07-2019, 09:13 AM
This is what I'm starting to think. I was excited initially then I realised RG wasn't even a Hibs fan, it's still not clear to me why he wants to buy a football team never mind our team. He appears an honourable guy, but it doesn't look like he's going to be making big investment in the club and his "pony up" line doesn't fill me with encouragement. Clearly it's early days and too early to make a final judgement. but so far it appears we've replaced one Steady Eddie with another one, so nothing has changed.

I'm in the same boat as you, however why would STF say he wanted to "sell to the right people who would take hibs to the next level"

He did imply he wanted to aim to be best of the rest this season, well that's the feeling I got anyway. Then the long term goal was to aim for the championship...

Are the fans to do all the work by ponying up and then he sells us for a profit?

HH81
15-07-2019, 09:17 AM
Im sure he will have sleepless nights worrying that you think he hasnt come out of this very well.

If he does then he can give me a call and chat about it.

Let's not forget the club possibly worked hard to get this over the line and it looks to me like he has gone with the money. Fair enough but shows he was not the right player for the club.

Vault Boy
15-07-2019, 09:17 AM
He's getting sold in January on my FIFA career!!!

HH81
15-07-2019, 09:18 AM
Quite frankly my dears, I don't give a damn.

Players that want to play for Hibs and Heckingbottom only please.

Correct.

wills
15-07-2019, 09:20 AM
Just wondering if PH let Bartley go on the assumption that Ojo had agreed terms with us. .

Robbo6-2
15-07-2019, 09:23 AM
Just wondering if PH let Bartley go on the assumption that Ojo had agreed terms with us. .

More likely Milligan.

jeffers
15-07-2019, 09:24 AM

I wasn’t fully aware of the specifics regarding Aberdeen’s finances but it would appear neither are you.

I never said I our playing budget was competitive, our new new owner did. I’m looking for clarification on what that means. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

Depends how much we want a player and sometimes it’s about making a statement of intent. Yes of course PH may well have decided the player in this instance wasn’t worth any more to us. Your car analogy isn’t a great one as you unless you are buying a rare or classic one there are likely to be lots of near identical ones available at that same price point.

andybev1
15-07-2019, 09:28 AM
I went on the s****horpe fans forum a couple of weeks back and they were not crying that they were losing him. I would rather have had him but no biggy.

Caversham Green
15-07-2019, 09:28 AM
Aberdeen don’t make £5m more a year than us. They report a much higher turnover than us but - as has been pointed out - it seems that we are not comparing like-for-like.

:agree: They employ around 30 more staff than Hibs, mostly in non-football posts. In 2017-18 They made around £500k loss compared with Hibs profit of £200k. The higher overall turnover probably does give them a better football budget, but it's not possible to make any definitive comparison between the two clubs, not least because Hibs don't provide a breakdown of their turnover.

As an aside, Aberdeen have just converted to a private limited company, so they won't be breaking down their turnover in the future either. They've also increased their authorised share capital and issued some shares for £500k. Looks like they're making structural changes too.

CRAZYHIBBY
15-07-2019, 09:40 AM
I think mcinnes must have slipped a finger up ojos erse as ojo claims mcinnes "touched something inside him" :confused:

The_Horde
15-07-2019, 09:57 AM
I think mcinnes must have slipped a finger up ojos erse as ojo claims mcinnes "touched something inside him" :confused:

Pretty strange place to keep a wallet

SonOfDavidFrancey
15-07-2019, 10:10 AM
‘Ojo said of his new boss: "He spent the whole day with me. We talked about football and other things and he touched something in me.‘
Something lost in the translation here Funso.

overdrive
15-07-2019, 10:31 AM
‘Ojo said of his new boss: "He spent the whole day with me. We talked about football and other things and he touched something in me.‘
Something lost in the translation here Funso.

Perverts.

matty_f
15-07-2019, 10:34 AM
‘Ojo said of his new boss, somewhat sheepishly: "He spent the whole day with me. We talked about football and other things and he touched something in me.‘

jeffers
15-07-2019, 10:37 AM
‘Ojo said of his new boss, somewhat sheepishly: "He spent the whole day with me. We talked about football and other things and he touched something in me.‘

Sounds like there was a happy ending there 🙈

SChibs
15-07-2019, 10:39 AM
Maybe hibs could have matched Aberdeens offer but we didn't want him enough to pay that amount for him. Aberdeen maybe wanted him more than us

B.H.F.C
15-07-2019, 10:47 AM
Maybe hibs could have matched Aberdeens offer but we didn't want him enough to pay that amount for him. Aberdeen maybe wanted him more than us

I agree with this. Hibs possibly didn’t want to pay him more than we deemed him to be worth.

My frustration isn’t with missing out on Ojo particularly. I just can’t believe we have started this season in a worse place than we finished last season in midfield. Last year things were out of our hands where McGinn was concerned. This year we’ve known exactly what we need for months and I’m disappointed it’s not been addressed yet.

hhibs
15-07-2019, 10:54 AM

You may be right,however I would hope he could at least get some real action on the marketing and commercial side ,where Hibernian have been dreadful for many years.

I would even say they have negligent under the past regime in those areas and need a complete overhaul.

matty_f
15-07-2019, 10:57 AM
I agree with this. Hibs possibly didn’t want to pay him more than we deemed him to be worth.

My frustration isn’t with missing out on Ojo particularly. I just can’t believe we have started this season in a worse place than we finished last season in midfield. Last year things were out of our hands where McGinn was concerned. This year we’ve known exactly what we need for months and I’m disappointed it’s not been addressed yet.
Heckingbottom mentioned in his press conference ahead of the Stirling game that we were in the same position as we were with Ojo with a few other players.

Assuming that Ojo was seen as a solution to the midfield problem and they only knew on Friday that he’d changed his mind having previously agreed to sign, I’m not sure how reasonable it is to have expected us to have plan b in the door already.

The 90+2
15-07-2019, 10:58 AM
Time to draw a line. He’s Aberdeen’s.

jeffers
15-07-2019, 11:02 AM
You may be right,however I would hope he could at least get some real action on the marketing and commercial side ,where Hibernian have been dreadful for many years.

Definitely what I’m hoping for along with bringing in some external investment. Greencore made a valid point in that STF did say he was selling to a new owner who he believed would take us to the next level, I’d hope that was based on specific plans RG had shared with him.

BILLYHIBS
15-07-2019, 11:04 AM
Time to draw a line. He’s Aberdeen’s.

Agree!

He is dead to us! :greengrin

B.H.F.C
15-07-2019, 11:04 AM
Heckingbottom mentioned in his press conference ahead of the Stirling game that we were in the same position as we were with Ojo with a few other players.

Assuming that Ojo was seen as a solution to the midfield problem and they only knew on Friday that he’d changed his mind having previously agreed to sign, I’m not sure how reasonable it is to have expected us to have plan b in the door already.

Surely we’re looking at more than one player for that area of the pitch though? We were short, quality wise, in that area for most of last season. Now we are short on numbers as well.

I thought the decision to get rid of Milligan (and Bartley although that was expected) was ruthless and I liked that.

I didn’t think that more than two months on, and with the season underway, we wouldn’t have got anyone over the line.

The 90+2
15-07-2019, 11:06 AM
Agree!

He is dead to us! :greengrin

The ******* :greengrin

jeffers
15-07-2019, 11:17 AM
Surely we’re looking at more than one player for that area of the pitch though? We were short, quality wise, in that area for most of last season. Now we are short on numbers as well.

I thought the decision to get rid of Milligan (and Bartley although that was expected) was ruthless and I liked that.

I didn’t think that more than two months on, and with the season underway, we wouldn’t have got anyone over the line.

I think he’s still trying to get in Omeonga. If we’d got him and Ojo I wouldn’t have expected us to bring in any more central midfielders.

Even with our limited options in midfield we should still have enough quality to comfortably win our LC group. If the transfer window shuts and we still have the same limitations in central midfield at that point it will be time to be concerned.

Stokesy's on fire
15-07-2019, 11:25 AM

The sheep fans call him McWinless for a reason

HibbiesandtheBaddies
15-07-2019, 11:43 AM
Look at it from his point of view. Even if the wages on offer were roughly the same Eberdeen regularly finish higher up the league than us, playing in Europe, and didnae get beat by a League 2 outfit at the weekend.

He might be thinking "Hibs, new manager, lots of new faces in, shaky start. I might have dodged a bullet there."

tamig
15-07-2019, 11:52 AM
Look at it from his point of view. Even if the wages on offer were roughly the same Eberdeen regularly finish higher up the league than us, playing in Europe, and didnae get beat by a League 2 outfit at the weekend.

He might be thinking "Hibs, new manager, lots of new faces in, shaky start. I might have dodged a bullet there."
He might do but whi got beat by a League 2 outfit?

Barman Stanton
15-07-2019, 11:55 AM

He might have had a quick wee look at this forum and thought "f*** that for a laugh!"

The 90+2
15-07-2019, 11:57 AM
He might have had a quick wee look at this forum and thought "f*** that for a laugh!"

Yes, that’s why it will have been.

Barman Stanton
15-07-2019, 12:00 PM
Yes, that’s why it will have been.

Do you ever lighten up?

overdrive
15-07-2019, 12:01 PM

Probably more to do with Heckingbottom not being willing to give him sexual favours by the sound of it. Between him concentrating on the cricket over sorting drawing with a League 2 team and now him not willing to whore himself out to signing targets, I think he needs to get his priorities in order :wink:

The 90+2
15-07-2019, 12:03 PM
Do you ever lighten up?

Sorry, I thought it was another dig at our fans mate, my sarcasmeter isn’t functioning properly 👍

Barman Stanton
15-07-2019, 12:17 PM
Sorry, I thought it was another dig at our fans mate, my sarcasmeter isn’t functioning properly 👍

Well I was hardly being serious. See, you see it as me having a dig at our fans. I see at as you constant complainers always having a go at our club.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
15-07-2019, 12:28 PM
He might do but whi got beat by a League 2 outfit?

Semantics! felt like a defeat.

The 90+2
15-07-2019, 12:35 PM
Well I was hardly being serious. See, you see it as me having a dig at our fans. I see at as you constant complainers always having a go at our club.

What do I “constantly complain” about? Humour me.

Barman Stanton
15-07-2019, 12:50 PM
What do I “constantly complain” about? Humour me.

Really? Well put it this way, would you consider yourself positive about all things Hibs? Or would you say you have possibly been a wee bit negative towards the new signings following the first game of the season?

The 90+2
15-07-2019, 01:09 PM
Really? Well put it this way, would you consider yourself positive about all things Hibs? Or would you say you have possibly been a wee bit negative towards the new signings following the first game of the season?

I would say following the first competitive game of the season following on from a worrying pre-season I find myself concerned at the quality we have brought in.

Prior to Saturday (including the Ojo deal) I wasn’t saying anything negative at all towards the club in any aspect that I can remember. I don’t think I can be put in any bracket about constantly complaining about the club at all.

Although, I’m welcome for you to let me know of an other instances I’ve been negative.

I’m in general positive towards the club, yes. If there’s something that is concerning me though I’ll put it for discussion or add to discussion on a message board and I would hardly go as far as saying it’s attacks on the club.

Barman Stanton
15-07-2019, 01:17 PM
I would say following the first competitive game of the season following on from a worrying pre-season I find myself concerned at the quality we have brought in.

Prior to Saturday (including the Ojo deal) I wasn’t saying anything negative at all towards the club in any aspect that I can remember. I don’t think I can be put in any bracket about constantly complaining about the club at all.

Although, I’m welcome for you to let me know of an other instances I’ve been negative.

I’m in general positive towards the club, yes. If there’s something that is concerning me though I’ll put it for discussion or add to discussion on a message board and I would hardly go as far as saying it’s attacks on the club.

To be honest I was only talking about this weekend.

Hey man, its nothing personal, we all want the club to be winning and doing well. I just think that the negativity on here is detrimental to the club as it ends up growing legs and transferring to the pitch. I'm actually dreading what will happen on Saturday at Easter Road if we have not scored by the first half hour.

The 90+2
15-07-2019, 01:19 PM
To be honest I was only talking about this weekend.

Hey man, its nothing personal, we all want the club to be winning and doing well. I just think that the negativity on here is detrimental to the club as it ends up growing legs and transferring to the pitch. I'm actually dreading what will happen on Saturday at Easter Road if we have not scored by the first half hour.

No bother mate :greengrin I just don’t want to be in the negative bassa bracket when I’m in general a lot more positive about the cub than seasons gone by :)

A resounding win on Saturday and the negative vibes will be gone, it could afterall be worrying about nothing 👍

Keith_M
15-07-2019, 01:22 PM
Money talks.

Barman Stanton
15-07-2019, 01:24 PM
No bother mate :greengrin I just don’t want to be in the negative bassa bracket when I’m in general a lot more positive about the cub than seasons gone by :)

A resounding win on Saturday and the negative vibes will be gone, it could afterall be worrying about nothing 👍

Nice one :aok:. Hey, if 10 games or so into the season and we are struggling I will be joining the worried club. I just think its way to early to be hitting panic buttons yet.

The 90+2
15-07-2019, 02:09 PM
Nice one :aok:. Hey, if 10 games or so into the season and we are struggling I will be joining the worried club. I just think its way to early to be hitting panic buttons yet.

Point taken mate.

G B Young
15-07-2019, 06:11 PM
According to the player, what sold him on Aberdeen was that McInnes offered to 'pick him up in the middle of the night'. Make of that what you will but it seems a bizarre factor in the move.

Leaving aside any innuendo (I note Hecky refers to 'seeing the red lights'), quite why would the offer of a lift in the middle of the night especially appeal to any player when they could instead stay in bed and head up to Aberdeen the next day?

The 90+2
15-07-2019, 06:31 PM
According to the player, what sold him on Aberdeen was that McInnes offered to 'pick him up in the middle of the night'. Make of that what you will but it seems a bizarre factor in the move.

Leaving aside any innuendo (I note Hecky refers to 'seeing the red lights'), quite why would the offer of a lift in the middle of the night especially appeal to any player when they could instead stay in bed and head up to Aberdeen the next day?

It’s making it known to the player how wanted he was that he would do anything to desperately get the signature.

One Day Soon
15-07-2019, 06:31 PM
Definitely what I’m hoping for along with bringing in some external investment. Greencore made a valid point in that STF did say he was selling to a new owner who he believed would take us to the next level, I’d hope that was based on specific plans RG had shared with him.

The deal has brought in extra money already. Between STF and Ron, the club's debt has been written off meaning we have £500,000 per annum more available in disposable income. Now how quickly that is available to spend is another matter. And so is whether it goes on recurring wage costs or one off signing on/transfer fees. But whichever way you cut it we will see the benefit of it sooner rather than later.

As far as this mercenary goes, we have lost out but perhaps not too badly. It appears we had done the deal for him and he had agreed the terms, then for one reason and another we had to pony up an additional £125,000 - I think that was to get him released - and we agreed to do it.

Then Aberdeen pop up and offer more cash. At this point if you are Hibs and him and his agent are saying that he'd still like to come to Hibs but he's been offered more money by Aberdeen what do you do? The club has just been taken over, everyone knows the debt has been wiped out and the owner is talking about challenging for third and eventually kicking on: perhaps the worst possible time to be signalling to players and agents that we can be bid-up as to what we will offer by demonstrating that is the case with Ojo. Much better - if you have other alternatives - to signal the opposite: we offer decent deals but if you don't play straight with us then we don't want you at our club.

All players want the best deal possible, they are all interested in the money. However some, I believe, do have a little more honour than others. We've seen that in previous Hibs players who have gone for decent money to bigger clubs and yet made over some of their fee to the Hibs youth set up. Some players having agreed a deal will stick to it - so, even, will some agents. Others are just looking to milk the next paycheck.

Aberdeen 'touched something in him'? That will be his bank balance. PH is right to want players who want to play for him and us - and of course they will want the money to do it. PH and the club will have negotiated in good faith, reached an apparent conclusion and then discovered that the other party and/or his agent have been at a different game altogether.

Good riddance. Fewer wage thieves, more Lewis Stevensons please.

Leith Green
15-07-2019, 06:50 PM
Im thinking Heckingbottom has somebody he fancies more lined up and possibly why he wasnt overly fussed if he got ojo. They would have been working on other deals , maybe he feels he has got a better option to spend his money on.

jeffers
15-07-2019, 07:04 PM
The deal has brought in extra money already. Between STF and Ron, the club's debt has been written off meaning we have £500,000 per annum more available in disposable income. Now how quickly that is available to spend is another matter. And so is whether it goes on recurring wage costs or one off signing on/transfer fees. But whichever way you cut it we will see the benefit of it sooner rather than later.

As far as this mercenary goes, we have lost out but perhaps not too badly. It appears we had done the deal for him and he had agreed the terms, then for one reason and another we had to pony up an additional £125,000 - I think that was to get him released - and we agreed to do it.

Then Aberdeen pop up and offer more cash. At this point if you are Hibs and him and his agent are saying that he'd still like to come to Hibs but he's been offered more money by Aberdeen what do you do? The club has just been taken over, everyone knows the debt has been wiped out and the owner is talking about challenging for third and eventually kicking on: perhaps the worst possible time to be signalling to players and agents that we can be bid-up as to what we will offer by demonstrating that is the case with Ojo. Much better - if you have other alternatives - to signal the opposite: we offer decent deals but if you don't play straight with us then we don't want you at our club.

All players want the best deal possible, they are all interested in the money. However some, I believe, do have a little more honour than others. We've seen that in previous Hibs players who have gone for decent money to bigger clubs and yet made over some of their fee to the Hibs youth set up. Some players having agreed a deal will stick to it - so, even, will some agents. Others are just looking to milk the next paycheck.

Aberdeen 'touched something in him'? That will be his bank balance. PH is right to want players who want to play for him and us - and of course they will want the money to do it. PH and the club will have negotiated in good faith, reached an apparent conclusion and then discovered that the other party and/or his agent have been at a different game altogether.

Good riddance. Fewer wage thieves, more Lewis Stevensons please.

Good post, can't really disagree in the main with what you've said.

I guess we'll never know how much more than us Aberdeen offered for him. I suppose there is just a bit of frustration that a player who appeared to be one of our first choices has gone to one of our main rivals in the race for "best of the rest" in our league. It follows shortly after our new owner comes in, tells us our transfer budget is competitive and we are aiming to finish as best of the rest this season (or at least that was what I took him to mean.)

Tbh I'm at bit confused at the timing of things, I read Aberdeen were the first to actually make a bid for him and we matched that ? While it may well just about money for him equally it may be that Aberdeen made him feel wanted. McIness certainly appears to have made great effort to convince him to sign for Aberdeen.

Again I've no idea what the figures were, but I'd be surprised if Aberdeen are paying Ojo more than what we were paying Milligan last season and it would have been a sign of things to come, and encouraging signs for me anyway had we beat them to his signing.

If we sign better and/or he turns out to be crap for them our actions will have proved to be correct. For now we don't know, nor can we call him a wage thief until such time as he actually plays for them.

weecounty hibby
15-07-2019, 07:12 PM
He's a lying *******. McWinless offering to pick him up in the middle of the night meant nothing to him. The extra money was what got the deal done. If it was about who wanted him more , well we had been speaking to him and his agent since May, when we thought all had been agreed and so did he. He is a footballer and therefore a mercenary, he followed the cash. Hope he has a stinker of a season and the sheep continue to get nose bleeds when they get within touching distance of a trophy

Hi Heid Yin
15-07-2019, 07:15 PM
The guy was offered more money....End of!

This evidently trumped living in a stunning world class city.. training in a state of the art training centre...and playing in a superior stadium before bigger crowds.

Since452
15-07-2019, 07:34 PM
He was shown around a building site. That really impressed him... Aye good one Ojo. Why not just say Aberdeen offered more money? I hope he's pish.

chrisski33
15-07-2019, 08:23 PM
Who is this ojo guy everyone is talking about? Who is he? Im baffled

Sammy7nil
16-07-2019, 08:26 AM
]Im thinking Heckingbottom has somebody he fancies more lined up[/B] and possibly why he wasnt overly fussed if he got ojo. They would have been working on other deals , maybe he feels he has got a better option to spend his money on.

I think your wrong i think Hecky wanted him and we lost out. We move on.

Bristolhibby
16-07-2019, 09:59 AM
He's a lying *******. McWinless offering to pick him up in the middle of the night meant nothing to him. The extra money was what got the deal done. If it was about who wanted him more , well we had been speaking to him and his agent since May, when we thought all had been agreed and so did he. He is a footballer and therefore a mercenary, he followed the cash. Hope he has a stinker of a season and the sheep continue to get nose bleeds when they get within touching distance of a trophy

Yip, best Aberdeen can manage is getting horses by Celtic twice a season at Hampden.

Nothing too serious for the lad, just some niggling groin strain that means he plays at 60% all season. The Sheep get on his back for being crap and we feel happy at dodging a bullet.

J

Smartie
16-07-2019, 10:06 AM
When I heard about him and his agent trying to force a way out of Scunny I thought he sounded like an erse.

Nothing since has suggested otherwise and he's going to have to be a heck of a player for the trouble to be worth it - and a player that good would be unlikely to have just been relegated from league 1 at the age of 27.

I'm 100% behind Hibs. Yes, it's inconvenient as our midfield is still clearly miles short of where it needs to be, but I think we've dodged a bullet. One thing you can say since Stubbs came in is that we've had a relatively happy camp and when disruption has entered the fray (Stokes mainly) it has been quickly moved on.

The 90+2
16-07-2019, 10:20 AM
When I heard about him and his agent trying to force a way out of Scunny I thought he sounded like an erse.

Nothing since has suggested otherwise and he's going to have to be a heck of a player for the trouble to be worth it - and a player that good would be unlikely to have just been relegated from league 1 at the age of 27.

I'm 100% behind Hibs. Yes, it's inconvenient as our midfield is still clearly miles short of where it needs to be, but I think we've dodged a bullet. One thing you can say since Stubbs came in is that we've had a relatively happy camp and when disruption has entered the fray (Stokes mainly) it has been quickly moved on.

Scott Allan was much more disruptive than Stokesy.

Since452
16-07-2019, 10:23 AM

Yeah i remember the alarm bells ringing with that whole scenario. Not something we need to concern ourselves with now.

Smartie
16-07-2019, 10:58 AM

He was, but I suppose we got that situation to a satisfactory conclusion fairly quickly as well.

Bringing him back again is a bit of a risk but his behaviour was impeccable the last time and everything suggests he is a bit more mature now.

The 90+2
16-07-2019, 10:59 AM
He was, but I suppose we got that situation to a satisfactory conclusion fairly quickly.

Bringing him back again is a bit of a risk but his behaviour was impeccable the last time and everything suggests he is a bit more mature now.

Definitely 👍

random sub
16-07-2019, 11:13 AM
What’s interesting in all of this is that Aberdeen barged in on a player who was agreed would be coming to Hibs, then got caught up in a technicality.

I realise they are perfectly entitled to do so but in business terms it lacks a bit of class and our board will no doubt be a bit unimpressed. Hopefully Hibs will hold it against them next time there is an opportunity.

I guess it is a bit like Celtic are now doing to us post Mcginn, when previously we had loans and good relationships, now tumbleweed and a delayed Scott Allan signing.

No big deal perhaps interesting times between clubs in a business sense.

Since452
16-07-2019, 11:46 AM
What’s interesting in all of this is that Aberdeen barged in on a player who was agreed would be coming to Hibs, then got caught up in a technicality.

I realise they are perfectly entitled to do so but in business terms it lacks a bit of class and our board will no doubt be a bit unimpressed. Hopefully Hibs will hold it against them next time there is an opportunity.

I guess it is a bit like Celtic are now doing to us post Mcginn, when previously we had loans and good relationships, now tumbleweed and a delayed Scott Allan signing.

No big deal perhaps interesting times between clubs in a business sense.

I get what you mean but the chances of Hibs and Aberdeen ever being able to buy players off each other are slim to none and loans unlikely

Kato
16-07-2019, 11:49 AM
I realise they are perfectly entitled to do so but in business terms it lacks a bit of class...

McInnes has no class, look at the way he puts his teams out to ruin games and kick players. Great for his employer but in no way great for football in Scotland.

Heisenberg
16-07-2019, 12:03 PM
McInnes has come out and said they were first in contact about Ojo at the end of May, same time as us apparently, but were aware of issues with his contract that needed sorted. They then agreed a fee a couple of weeks back which we matched.

He also says they matched what was on offer elsewhere and there was no extra money on offer to Ojo for him to sign with Aberdeen. Purely a football decision apparently....

The_Horde
16-07-2019, 08:57 PM

Publically..

JimBHibees
16-07-2019, 08:59 PM
McInnes has come out and said they were first in contact about Ojo at the end of May, same time as us apparently, but were aware of issues with his contract that needed sorted. They then agreed a fee a couple of weeks back which we matched.

He also says they matched what was on offer elsewhere and there was no extra money on offer to Ojo for him to sign with Aberdeen. Purely a football decision apparently....

Don't believe that for a minute.

The_Horde
16-07-2019, 09:02 PM

They're never gonna come out and say come to Aberdeen, we'll beat everyone on price.

majorhibs
16-07-2019, 09:24 PM
Mcinnes, Aberdeen, the whole set up, what we’ve had to endure last few years while the sheep are merely cleverer boring Bstds than Potter & poppy theives.. sheep mcinnes & the most depressing place in Scotland that is Aberdeen are welcome to each other, likewise this latest Belgian mercenary.

Stokesy's on fire
16-07-2019, 09:40 PM

McHunnis is a total backside of a man no point taking a loser like him serious

Here’s Lucy!
16-07-2019, 09:42 PM
Why are we still going on about a Judas prick?

Crab apple
16-07-2019, 10:20 PM
Time will tell if he’s a good signing for the Sheep. I’ve no idea if he’s a good player but based on what I’ve read he comes across as a bit of a cock as a person.

Criswell
16-07-2019, 10:26 PM
[QUOTE=Kato;5846794]McInnes has no class, look at the way he puts his teams out to ruin games and kick players. Great for his employer but in no way great for football in Scotland.

Remember how he shafted Kilmarnock over Greg Stewart last season? Seems like his hunger for any sort of success has warped his sense of morality.

Forza Fred
16-07-2019, 10:39 PM
I don’t indulge In handwringing very often at my age, and think some of the cries of ‘we wuz robbed’ and suggesting Aberdeen behaved improperly, really are, just sour grapes.

Had the tables been turned and WE made the midnight dash and pipped the Sheep for Ono...then we would be lauding Hecky’s ‘man magement’ skills and probably suggesting that it was an indication of a renewed sense of ‘ambition’ by Hibs.

Despite all the noise, the ‘shock’ headline that really summarises the transfer saga could be,,,,

‘FOOTBALL PLAYER SIGNS FOR CLUB WHO OFFERED MOST MONEY”!

And I suggest, we will lose the race for many more players, because of this......

Booked4Being-Ugly
16-07-2019, 10:57 PM
Hope he gets dogs abuse when we play the sheep!

Stokesy's on fire
16-08-2019, 11:54 AM
Funso OJO get it clean up yi! :na na: We dodged a bullet

Keith_M
16-08-2019, 12:26 PM

He's certainly had an impact at his new club.

Stokesy's on fire
16-08-2019, 12:28 PM
He's certainly had an impact at his new club.

:aok:

1van Sprou7e
16-08-2019, 12:31 PM

Steady on mate. Still could turn out to be a much better signing for them than Vela for us

Zazu62
16-08-2019, 12:37 PM
He’s played about 4 games.

GonzoReturns
16-08-2019, 01:55 PM
6 games 5 yellow cards one red card joined Aberdeen for footballing reasons. Could turn out to be a good signing for them similar to Cosgrove but right now happy to gloat about the positive impact he’s made 👍👍👍

Stokesy's on fire
16-08-2019, 01:56 PM
6 games 5 yellow cards one red card joined Aberdeen for footballing reasons. Could turn out to be a good signing for them similar to Cosgrove but right now happy to gloat about the positive impact he’s made 👍👍👍

exactly :top marks

SaulGoodman
16-08-2019, 02:13 PM
He’s played about 4 games.

So he’s allowed to be given a chance after 4 games yet our players aren’t?

HoboHarry
16-08-2019, 02:16 PM
So he’s allowed to be given a chance after 4 games yet our players aren’t?
Hibs players get 10 minutes - do try to keep up....

SaulGoodman
16-08-2019, 02:22 PM

As long as that? You must be a happy clapper. I judge them on name alone.

MyJo
16-08-2019, 03:39 PM
Steady on mate. Still could turn out to be a much better signing for them than Vela for us

Hibs players: lose first competitive game of the season against rangers

Hibs fans: our seasons f****d with these s**t lower league journeymen

Aberdeen player: screws us over and signs for a rival team. Gives away a penalty, loses to St Mirren, gets sent off and pumped out of Europe in his first 6 games

Hibs fans: I think your being a bit harsh on him, he will come good with time I’m sure of it.

It’s almost beyond parody

1van Sprou7e
16-08-2019, 03:55 PM

Aberdeen player: screws us over and signs for a rival team. Gives away a penalty, loses to St Mirren, gets sent off and pumped out of Europe in his first 6 games

Hibs fans: I think your being a bit harsh on him, he will come good with time I’m sure of it.

It's almost as if "Hibs fans" are not one homogeneous group with one single opinion, funny that

Since452
16-08-2019, 04:24 PM

😂 imagine Heckingbottom had signed a 36 year from down south. Would be absolute carnage on here. Hearts sign one and it's a good bit of business etc.

CraigHibee
16-08-2019, 10:42 PM

normally written off before their first training session

My old man
17-08-2019, 09:08 AM

Now that’s funny
GGTTH

My old man
17-08-2019, 09:09 AM
As long as that? You must be a happy clapper. I judge them on name alone.

But that’s funnier
GGTTH

Aritch
02-09-2019, 06:17 PM
Interesting article on what ojo offers Aberdeen. I think he would have made a big difference for us. Heckinbottom has mallan attempting a similar role with very poor results.

https://ne98.net/2019/09/02/feature-how-funso-ojo-is-changing-the-way-aberdeen-play-tactical-analysis/

Heisenberg
02-09-2019, 06:23 PM
Interesting article on what ojo offers Aberdeen. I think he would have made a big difference for us. Heckinbottom has mallan attempting a similar role with very poor results.

https://ne98.net/2019/09/02/feature-how-funso-ojo-is-changing-the-way-aberdeen-play-tactical-analysis/

It would be absolutely ridiculous if Vela was a second choice to Ojo as he seems like a totally different player to that. Hopefully Hallberg can do that job for us. Means Hecky will need to bite the bullet and drop Mallan.

Smartie
02-09-2019, 06:33 PM

Really interesting article and to be fair Ojo sounds exactly what we are lacking.

Mallan will never, ever be able to play that role.

Billy Whizz
02-09-2019, 06:52 PM
Really interesting article and to be fair Ojo sounds exactly what we are lacking.

Mallan will never, ever be able to play that role.

Stuart McCall was on Sportsound this evening. He’s an ex S****horpe manager when Ojo was there. Said Hecky spoke to him over the summer about him, and if he got him, how we’d play

Hibee Mac
02-09-2019, 10:13 PM
Still think missing out on him was a massive turning point for the worse in our transfer window

Smartie
02-09-2019, 10:20 PM
Still think missing out on him was a massive turning point for the worse in our transfer window

Everything suggests to me that PH was planning to build a team around him, missing out on him has knocked us for 6 and we've not managed to work out what to do instead.

bingo70
02-09-2019, 10:21 PM
Everything suggests to me that PH was planning to build a team around him, missing out on him has knocked us for 6 and we've not managed to work out what to do instead.

Build our squad around right backs instead apparently.