PDA

View Full Version : Yesterdays Performance

Hermit Crab
14-07-2019, 05:09 PM
We were poor for sure and one up front did not help us. There are already a few question marks over the new signings so far, what may be worth noting is that Hibs are in a group where all our opponents are part-time teams. I thought 12 points out of 12 was an absolute certainty for us and I'm sure many others would have thought the same. Imo it is embarrassing to be held by a league 2 side, that team yesterday should have been more than good enough to win the game. One competitive game in so not going to panic but big improvements required for next week.

Thoughts?

Itsnoteasy
14-07-2019, 05:11 PM
We were poor for sure and one up front did not help us. There are already a few question marks over the new signings so far, what may be worth noting is that Hibs are in a group where all our opponents are part-time teams. I thought 12 points out of 12 was an absolute certainty for us and I'm sure many others would have thought the same. Imo it is embarrassing to be held by a league 2 side, that team yesterday should have been more than good enough to win the game. One competitive game in so not going to panic but big improvements required for next week.

Thoughts?

Thete seems to be enough thoughts on the match thread.

Hibernian32
14-07-2019, 05:15 PM
100% let's just hope that's gave them a kick up the arse.

Arbroath, Dunfermline, Carlisle & Albion have all been mixed results tbh two of them we won but not really in style or in control. Just feeling a bit meh but I've got faith just give it a couple more weeks lads eh

Hermit Crab
14-07-2019, 05:20 PM
Thete seems to be enough thoughts on the match thread.

Maybe so, this thread is for those who want to talk about it without sifting through a 20 pager match thread.

Jones28
14-07-2019, 05:23 PM
In the first half if you’d asked a neutral viewer which team was part time and which team was full time they’d struggle to tell the difference. Our lack of intensity was pretty alarming and I thought Albion controlled the game for parts of it, without actually worrying the goalkeeper.

I thought the left side partnership was badly lacking, both in pace and quality.

B.H.F.C
14-07-2019, 05:30 PM
Have read a few times about one up front not helping. Maybe it didn’t, but not our biggest issue IMO.

You need to get the ball to front players and when you don’t have a midfield that’s difficult to do.

Can talk about tactics all day long though. Yesterday showed that, whoever you are playing, if players don’t want to run, don’t want to tackle and generally put a bit of effort in then you won’t get very far.

Unseen work
14-07-2019, 05:35 PM
What I find weird is Heckingbottom made out he wanted athletic, powerful players with pace

Doidge
Newell
James
Maxwell
Jackson
Allan

None fit that category imo.

Jack Hackett
14-07-2019, 05:35 PM
I distinctly remember the hertz having a torrid time in this tournament last year... by rights, shouldn't even have qualified from the group stage. They then went on to win the League in Sept and to be the best ever Losers in a SCF.

I personally don't read too much into results in July... good, bad, or indifferent

Hermit Crab
14-07-2019, 05:38 PM
What I find weird is Heckingbottom made out he wanted athletic, powerful players with pace

Doidge
Newell
James
Maxwell
Jackson
Allan

None fit that category imo.

The one in bold done bugger all yesterday. I don't think I've seen him beat a man in all the matches he's played yet Rotherham fans are seemingly gutted that he's away? :confused:

Barman Stanton
14-07-2019, 05:44 PM
I distinctly remember the hertz having a torrid time in this tournament last year... by rights, shouldn't even have qualified from the group stage. They then went on to win the League in Sept and to be the best ever Losers in a SCF.

I personally don't read too much into results in July... good, bad, or indifferent

I made this point on the match thread and got shouted down. It’s better to just think that this bad result is the end of the world.

Pretty Boy
14-07-2019, 05:52 PM
We realistically only have 2 chances to win anything so we can't afford any **** ups early in the LC. Obviously yesterday was far from a disaster but I can see why people are edgy.

I hate the whole 'it's the league that really matters' mentality. Of course the league is the bread and butter but we are hugely unlikely to win it. If we make Europe and struggle we are told it's the league that matters. Why? To get into Europe and write it off again. It's the same with dismissing the LC or treating it as a glorified friendly. It's an important competition for us and we should treat it as such.

Hopefully the performances in friendlies and now a competitive game are just teething problems and we kick on as of Saturday. I read the 'this is how it feels' thread earlier; I always feel JB is balanced and tries to see a positive so to see him being very critical, certainly compared to usual, makes me uneasy.

BILLYHIBS
14-07-2019, 05:59 PM
Said it on the other thread Saturday is a must win

No more **** ups

No excuses

wookie70
14-07-2019, 06:27 PM
The two league cup wins I have witnessed are far more important than a league season where we got into Europe. No idea why the Premiership teams take so many chances in this competition. I'd want to go into the first League game with a team that had played together at least 3 or 4 times and had started to build partnerships and cohesion. The cup is perfect for that and hopefully he will field a very strong line up for the remaining fixtures.

We realistically only have 2 chances to win anything so we can't afford any **** ups early in the LC. Obviously yesterday was far from a disaster but I can see why people are edgy.

I hate the whole 'it's the league that really matters' mentality. Of course the league is the bread and butter but we are hugely unlikely to win it. If we make Europe and struggle we are told it's the league that matters. Why? To get into Europe and write it off again. It's the same with dismissing the LC or treating it as a glorified friendly. It's an important competition for us and we should treat it as such.

Hopefully the performances in friendlies and now a competitive game are just teething problems and we kick on as of Saturday. I read the 'this is how it feels' thread earlier; I always feel JB is balanced and tries to see a positive so to see him being very critical, certainly compared to usual, makes me uneasy.

HIBERNIAN-0762
14-07-2019, 06:47 PM
We really need to beat Alloa convincingly in midweek but you know who has just became their new manager :rolleyes:

Hermit Crab
14-07-2019, 06:58 PM
We really need to beat Alloa convincingly in midweek but you know who has just became their new manager :rolleyes:

Alloa is next Saturday 20/7. Then Arbroath on Tuesday 23/7. Then Elgin on Friday 26/7

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 07:02 PM
Alloa is next Saturday 20/7. Then Arbroath on Tuesday 23/7. Then Elgin on Friday 26/7

Performances need to be a hundred times better in those. It was dreadful stuff yesterday.

Hermit Crab
14-07-2019, 07:07 PM
Performances need to be a hundred times better in those. It was dreadful stuff yesterday.

Agree, I'm surprised there wasn't more booing at the end. Really was a very poor performance.

Billy Whizz
14-07-2019, 07:07 PM

Still think we’ll top the group quite comfortably. The unknown is will we be seeded, as only the top 4 group winners are seeded
We can only get to 11 points, quite a few group winners can still get to 12

Just need to win our games, score a few goals and see what happens

Bishop Hibee
14-07-2019, 07:10 PM
Agree HC. My first away game in a while and I wished I hadn’t bothered. Even if we’d won, I’d still have come away concerned about the lack of energy and shape to the side.

Being optimistic, we’ve a home game with Boyle and Kamberi back. We should win comfortably. If we can’t beat Alloa, the murmurs I heard on Saturday will grow louder though.

The 90+2
14-07-2019, 07:10 PM
Said it on the other thread Saturday is a must win

No more **** ups

No excuses

What do you suggest happens if we don’t? Serious question.

Keith_M
14-07-2019, 07:12 PM
My thoughts (warning: you did ask):

Horgan gave everything he had, hence why he faded in the final 15 minutes or so. Definitely pass marks for him.
We appeared to have no threat down the left side of the pitch.
There were far too many occasions when the player in possession wasn't helped by his colleagues, as they made little to no attempt to get into space for a pass.
We spent large parts of the game lumping to ball forward to no effect. Hoofball, if you like.
The midfield and strikers had utterly pathetic attempts at goal and, aside from a soft penalty, we could have played all night without scoring.
We have no effective holding midfielder. For some bizarre reason, that role was given to Mallan.

I realise it's our first competitive game (it was Stirling's as well), but I'm not impressed so far. Our squad is nowhere near good enough and we have to do much better than that if we want to achieve anything this season

I was extremely unimpressed with Hecky's tactics, and his unwillingness to bring on multiple substitutes in the middle of the second half, when it was quite clear it wasn't working for us.

3/10

ancient hibee
14-07-2019, 07:18 PM
I see the manager quoted as saying all away games in a cup are difficult.No they're not-Saturday was as easy a game as it's possible to have.I'm disappointed to see a competitive game treated as a training outing,I'm disappointed that the club has failed to get Easter Road ready for the start of the season and I'm disappointed that the new season cards are not ready which would have made ticket ordering for the two home games much easier.In fact I'm so disappointed in this general lack of professionalism both on and off the field that I won't waste time and money watching them until the league starts.I hope wee Ron is ready to launch a few well aimed missiles into what seems a pile of unwarranted complacency.

matty_f
14-07-2019, 07:21 PM
Nobody is going to give a **** about yesterday’s game when we qualify through the group, and even less of a **** if we go far in the competition.

The team that started yesterday should easily have been good enough to win comfortably. They didn’t, and that’s a shocking result.

Will it matter in the grand scheme of things? Doubt it, and I think the benefit that the players got from getting a game under their belts at this stage of the (pre) season will probably matter more down the line.

Nobody should be happy with the result, and the performance leaves an awful lot to be desired. There are clear concerns on the back of it but those concerns should be put into perspective with some rationality and not just knee-jerk toys-out-the-pram drama.

It was a crap result, and a crap performance. Some players (new and old) has a crap game. Does that mean they will always have crap games? No. Does it mean we’ll be crap all season? It has no bearing on how the rest of the season will go, so no.

Same as if we’d won - yesterday’s game wouldn’t really have told us anything about the season coming.

It is bonkers that some folk have the knives out already for the manager , the recruitment team, and the players after that game.

It did mark the start of the season and it was a competitive game but people, desperate to try and make their anger/frustration more valid, are putting undue weight on the importance of it of it.

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 07:23 PM

Open the brandy :greengrin

LithgaeHibby
I was extremely unimpressed with Hecky's tactics, and his unwillingness to bring on multiple substitutes in the middle of the second half, when it was quite clear it wasn't working for us.

Having watched that performance yesterday as well, I was disappointed with Hecky's post-match interview on Hibs TV, to say the least. I might have expected Cliff to ask him a few difficult questions after that, but it was almost as if he had been told to stick to an agreed script. Nobody's going to be fobbed off with the old "we didn't take our chances" as if that was all that was wrong. That performance just wasn't good enough. Why was there only one up front against League Two opposition? Why leave Flo out of the squad? Why not make more than one change when it was clear that it wasn't working? Hecky has made it clear that he doesn't like pre-season friendlies but it seemed as though he was treating yesterday's game as one. A lot of people made the journey to watch that garbage yesterday, and quite rightly expected better.

HIBERNIAN-0762

👍

BILLYHIBS
14-07-2019, 07:24 PM
I hate to think of the consequences on this forum for a start and I think the fans will start to lose patience with Hecky
As others have said we only have a realistic chance of winning two competitions so it is important we get out of this section
No more resting star players or leaving folk at HTC and leaving half a bench
I would also take Newell out of the process to give him a break 😁
Alloa will be up for it they have caused us problems in the past
To be fair I think Hecky will be aware of all the above
No more slip ups

Keith_M
14-07-2019, 07:27 PM
Nobody is going to give a **** about yesterday’s game when we qualify through the group, and even less of a **** if we go far in the competition.

The team that started yesterday should easily have been good enough to win comfortably. They didn’t, and that’s a shocking result.

Will it matter in the grand scheme of things? Doubt it, and I think the benefit that the players got from getting a game under their belts at this stage of the (pre) season will probably matter more down the line.

Nobody should be happy with the result, and the performance leaves an awful lot to be desired. There are clear concerns on the back of it but those concerns should be put into perspective with some rationality and not just knee-jerk toys-out-the-pram drama.

It was a crap result, and a crap performance. Some players (new and old) has a crap game. Does that mean they will always have crap games? No. Does it mean we’ll be crap all season? It has no bearing on how the rest of the season will go, so no.

Same as if we’d won - yesterday’s game wouldn’t really have told us anything about the season coming.

It is bonkers that some folk have the knives out already for the manager , the recruitment team, and the players after that game.

It did mark the start of the season and it was a competitive game but people, desperate to try and make their anger/frustration more valid, are putting undue weight on the importance of it of it.

I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make, Matty.

I consider the failure to beat a fourth tier team in a competitive match to be completely unacceptable for a club like Hibs. Is that really so wrong?

Are we allowed to be disappointed in the game, worried about our recruitment so far and disappointed with the tactics and team selection?

:dunno:

Partyraiser
14-07-2019, 07:28 PM
I went yesterday feeling excited about seeing our new players. I hadn't seen any preseason games as I've been on holiday, and despite reports not being great I thought itd be a different story once we started competitively.

I couldn't believe how pedestrian we were from start to finish. Allan was wasted in the "hole" and should have been in centre midfield, getting on the ball and running the show

Newall showed nothing to suggest he'll be anything more than back up once everyone is fit. James offered nothing more than Mackie does at left back, and we had no threat from the left flank, which is disappointing as both were new players I was excited to see. Doidge did okay, but should have scored that header and Jackson looked like he will do a job for us.

As others have said, hopefully it's a case of us taking the game too lightly and acts as a rocket to most of them. If we play like that next week I'll start getting worried

BILLYHIBS
14-07-2019, 07:30 PM
Open the brandy :greengrin

Hello darkness..............😂

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 07:32 PM
Hello darkness..............😂

:greengrin :aok:

Hermit Crab
14-07-2019, 07:39 PM

I consider the failure to beat a fourth tier team in a competitive match to be completely unacceptable for a club like Hibs. Is that really so wrong?

Are we allowed to be disappointed in the game, worried about our recruitment so far and disappointed with the tactics and team selection?

Thats the bottom line. We failed to beat a team that is part-time in league 2. In all honestly there wasn't a period in that game when I felt a goal was coming for us. We never put them under anywhere near enough pressure and their back 5 had an easy day at the office because we played one up front. Unacceptable is correct. :agree:

SChibs
14-07-2019, 07:52 PM
I keep on hearing about how we only played 1 up front and we should be playing 2 up to against Stirling. Plenty teams only play 1 striker and it is just as effective as playing 2 when played correctly. If that's the way Hecky is trying to play then putting another striker in there isn't going to make a difference.

Teams like Spurs, Liverpool, Man City usually only play with 1 out and out striker. Now I'm obviously not saying we are as good as these teams but we aren't playing anywhere near the quality they are so we should be good enough to be able to play 1 up front in the league we are in.

Cod Boy
14-07-2019, 07:56 PM
Couldn’t believe he only made one change yesterday when a number of players were knackered or playing poorly.

BILLYHIBS
14-07-2019, 08:12 PM
Another way of putting it is we played one up front and never laid a glove on them
Any chances we did have were squandered through poor finishing
We were toothless and had no cutting edge
Their goalkeeper was dropping everything and there was no one on him
The penalty we got was soft
Hecky must surely see this
He should have put Olly Shaw on to partner Doidge second half and had Boyle and Kamberi on the bench as back up for a tiring Horgan and a misfiring Newell
There is no substitute for match practice unless they were both carrying injuries

matty_f
14-07-2019, 08:24 PM

Your allowed to do all of those things, Keith.

Yeah, I agree that it’s not acceptable to draw with Stirling, really but that said, we aren’t the first team to have an embarrassing result in a cup game and I’m certain we won’t be the last. It’s not the end of days that we drew, and I’m fairly certain that we’ll progress in the tournament as the seeded team, at which point it becomes inconsequential.

Celtic fans were embarrassed when they lost to that team from Gibraltar in pre-season (their season started that day as well, I suppose) but they qualified and ended up having a great season and nobody bothered about that result anymore. That was a worse result than ours but it really didn’t matter in the end.

Iggy Pope
14-07-2019, 08:34 PM
Another way of putting it is we played one up front and never laid a glove on them
Any chances we did have were squandered through poor finishing
We were toothless and had no cutting edge
Their goalkeeper was dropping everything and there was no one on him
The penalty we got was soft
Hecky must surely see this
He should have put Olly Shaw on to partner Doidge second half and had Boyle and Kamberi on the bench as back up for a tiring Horgan and a misfiring Newell
There is no substitute for match practice unless they were both carrying injuries

The goalkeeper had a couple of excellent stops too though.

BILLYHIBS
14-07-2019, 08:35 PM

He did

At the second attempt 😂

BILLYHIBS
14-07-2019, 08:36 PM

Dunno how HIBS never scored in the last minute of stoppage time good block there and booted off the line

Iggy Pope
14-07-2019, 08:39 PM
Dunno how HIBS never scored in the last minute of stoppage time good block there and booted off the line

Agree. We should have scored. A few.
His stop from Doidge header point blank range first half? I never seen him drop much if I’m honest. Parried a couple yes but as far as I could see that first half save was tremendous.

BILLYHIBS
14-07-2019, 08:59 PM
Agree. We should have scored. A few.
His stop from Doidge header point blank range first half? I never seen him drop much if I’m honest. Parried a couple yes but as far as I could see that first half save was tremendous.

Point blank header shudda scored but great save

Parried dropped same difference

Fumbled Horgans shot in the first minute

Rushed out his box start of the second half passed straight to Horgan presenting him with a Pele like shot on an empty goal but Horgan decided to pass into the box instead

A sniffer like Jamie MAC would have been on them in a flash 😁

My point is there was no bodies in there with HIBS strips on to take advantage

Newell missed what looked an easy chance at the back post

Doidge was easy meat for the two big centre halfs in fact one even got MOM wont have an easier afternoon

Hermit Crab
15-07-2019, 12:43 PM
Point blank header shudda scored but great save

Parried dropped same difference

Fumbled Horgans shot in the first minute

Rushed out his box start of the second half passed straight to Horgan presenting him with a Pele like shot on an empty goal but Horgan decided to pass into the box instead

A sniffer like Jamie MAC would have been on them in a flash 😁

My point is there was no bodies in there with HIBS strips on to take advantage

Newell missed what looked an easy chance at the back post

Doidge was easy meat for the two big centre halfs in fact one even got MOM wont have an easier afternoon

Flattered to deceive so far.

Oscar T Grouch
15-07-2019, 01:01 PM
Agree, I'm surprised there wasn't more booing at the end. Really was a very poor performance.

I had sunstroke by the end of the game, didn't have the energy to boo :greengrin

I am still a lovely lobster pink colour today.

Hermit Crab
15-07-2019, 01:07 PM
I had sunstroke by the end of the game, didn't have the energy to boo :greengrin

I am still a lovely lobster pink colour today.

I made a bee line for the terrace and stood up against the back wall in the shade for the whole game. Quite a few on that terrace were casualties of the sun by the end of the game.

Keith_M
15-07-2019, 01:17 PM
The one bright spot from the game was actually Albion's goal.

What a strike that was and fully deserved the applause given by many in the Hibs end.

I think we should offer the guy a contact :greengrin

Keith_M
15-07-2019, 01:21 PM
Your allowed to do all of those things, Keith.

Cheers Matty :wink:

Yeah, I agree that it’s not acceptable to draw with Stirling, really but that said, we aren’t the first team to have an embarrassing result in a cup game and I’m certain we won’t be the last. It’s not the end of days that we drew, and I’m fairly certain that we’ll progress in the tournament as the seeded team, at which point it becomes inconsequential.

Celtic fans were embarrassed when they lost to that team from Gibraltar in pre-season (their season started that day as well, I suppose) but they qualified and ended up having a great season and nobody bothered about that result anymore. That was a worse result than ours but it really didn’t matter in the end.

Hopefully we start our road to redemption on Saturday by wining convincingly against Alloa.

Not sure if I'm going to make the game but hope everybody that does sees a better display.

BILLYHIBS
15-07-2019, 01:21 PM
Flattered to deceive so far.

I actually thought Doidge worked hard and might have nicked a couple if match sharp but got little change from the centre backs he really needed someone up there beside him second half ( Olly)
I think/hope he will come good

munchar
15-07-2019, 01:51 PM

So if we’re struggling against part-time 2nd Division teams we shouldn’t be worried? The gulf in class should’ve showed over the 90 minutes. Unless the gulf isn’t as big as we think!

Crunchie
15-07-2019, 11:31 PM

:top marks