PDA

View Full Version : McGeough & Effe

munchar
14-07-2019, 12:47 PM
Reading through some of the comments regarding Dylan is baffling to me. He left as player of the year & got capped for Scotland, but some think he’s not good enough! Ffs he’d walk back into our team and IMO is badly needed.
Given Effe is also a free agent now (think so anyway), he’d be another quality signing if available.
Not judging the new boys on yesterday’s game, but Dylan & Effe are proven at the top level in Scotland. If any are available, I’d be amazed if we didn’t go for 1 or 2.
Thoughts?

07BigD
14-07-2019, 12:49 PM
Don't know if they would want to come back now.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bishop Hibee
14-07-2019, 12:50 PM
Defence isn’t a problem so no to Effe. After being at Stirling yesterday, I’d definitely take McGeoch back if that were possible.

sambajustice
14-07-2019, 12:50 PM
Reading through some of the comments regarding Fulan is baffling to me. He left as player of the year & got capped for Scotland, but some think he’s not good enough! Ffs he’d walk back into our team and IMO is badly needed.
Given Effe is also a free agent now (think so anyway), he’d be another quality signing if available.
Not judging the new boys on yesterday’s game, but Dylan & Effe are proven at the top level in Scotland. If any are available, I’d be amazed if we didn’t go for 1 or 2.
Thoughts?

If we did we'd have 2/3 of the so called best midfield in Scotland from Jan 18- May 18.

We'd also have the best defender we've had at the club since Sauzee.

For me its a no brainer on both counts! if possible.

we are hibs
14-07-2019, 01:19 PM
Defence isn’t a problem so no to Effe. After being at Stirling yesterday, I’d definitely take McGeoch back if that were possible.

Efe would walk in ahead of every single centre half we have.

Albanian Hibs
14-07-2019, 01:25 PM

How many goals has our defence shipped in this pre season?

dalkeith stu
14-07-2019, 01:28 PM
Efe would walk in ahead of every single centre half we have.

Yes but could the huge wage he'd demand be better spent on other areas of the team?
I'd rather have Mulumbu in at CDM!!

Centre Hawf
14-07-2019, 01:29 PM
I'd drive both of them back up here myself if I had to.

SeanWilson
14-07-2019, 01:36 PM
No chance on either IMO.

FilipinoHibs
14-07-2019, 01:39 PM
How many goals has our defence shipped in this pre season?
We tightened up after Efe left forv6 months more money living in a **** hole, instead of three years in the best city in the UK. Bet he regrets it now.

tamig
14-07-2019, 01:43 PM
It doesn’t really matter what any of us think. Its up to PH at the end of the day.

FilipinoHibs
14-07-2019, 01:47 PM
It doesn’t really matter what any of us think. Its up to PH at the end of the day.

What? We should close Hibs net then and worship at the alter of PH!

tamig
14-07-2019, 01:54 PM
What? We should close Hibs net then and worship at the alter of PH!

I think the majority of us would like the pair of them back. Does it matter what we think though? Has PH not already been reported as saying he’s not interested in Dylan? I don’t really see the point in threads like this.

Here’s Lucy!
14-07-2019, 01:57 PM
No chance of getting either.

Efe however, would be a fantastic signing. Best centre-half we’ve had for years imo.

Inconsequential
14-07-2019, 02:00 PM
Both of them were top performers at Hibs but both chose to leave after being offered the best terms the club could afford. One left in mid-season. Both turned down the offers and chased the money and now their careers have stalled. Karma has bitten them on the bum you could say. Let's sign as Heckingbottom (another ref. to body part) has stated - players that want to play for Hibs.

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 02:02 PM
Reading through some of the comments regarding Dylan is baffling to me. He left as player of the year & got capped for Scotland, but some think he’s not good enough! Ffs he’d walk back into our team and IMO is badly needed.
Thoughts?

If anybody is saying McGeough isn't good enough, I can only think it's a touch of sour groups that he left. Of course he's good enough to get into our team. Excellent player.

Weegreenman
14-07-2019, 02:08 PM
We tightened up after Efe left forv6 months more money living in a **** hole, instead of three years in the best city in the UK. Bet he regrets it now.

Never really got why folk think Efe was so good. For me he could be an absolute bomb scare and I for one never trusted him on the ball for that reason. His athleticism was something that helped him wriggle out of situations that was usually of his own doing. I remember one game in particular up at Aberdeen were he had an absolute nightmare. The Aberdeen fans taking great delight in giving him pelters every time he touched the ball. He could be decent ye but to bring him back after the way in which he left the club, it’s a **** off from me. :cb

Since90+2
14-07-2019, 02:10 PM
If anybody is saying McGeough isn't good enough, I can only think it's a touch of sour groups that he left. Of course he's good enough to get into our team. Excellent player.

If McGeough came back and played at the level he was before he left he'd be the first name on the teamsheet.

green day
14-07-2019, 02:26 PM
If McGeough came back and played at the level he was before he left he'd be the first name on the teamsheet.

Pedantry requires me to disagree.

The first name will probably be Rocky😁

HIBERNIAN-0762
14-07-2019, 02:30 PM
Yet another thread on these two?
We need to move on from them.

calumhibee1
14-07-2019, 02:34 PM
The anger towards Efe for leaving Hibs to go to Derby is hilarious. Likewise the whole “we don’t want people like Ojo at the club” patter. They both took better offers financially. As would all of us.

jacomo
14-07-2019, 02:40 PM
The anger towards Efe for leaving Hibs to go to Derby is hilarious. Likewise the whole “we don’t want people like Ojo at the club” patter. They both took better offers financially. As would all of us.

A lot of fans act like spurned teenagers over players who leave us.

I’d take Dylan and Efe back without question, because they were good players for us.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 03:02 PM
Sorry if this sounds harsh but I'd question how much someone knows about football if they wouldn't take Efe Ambrose back at Hibs.

He was one of the best defenders in Scotland, never mind at Hibs.

Quality player.

Weegreenman
14-07-2019, 03:03 PM

Like he needs the money :rolleyes: He activated a clause in his contract midway through the season, leaving his team mates high and dry. He was an integral part of our squad and I know there’s no loyalty anymore but activating a clause takes the biscuit for me. Had he left end of the season I’d have wished him all the best.

calumhibee1
14-07-2019, 03:17 PM
Like he needs the money :rolleyes: He activated a clause in his contract midway through the season, leaving his team mates high and dry. He was an integral part of our squad and I know there’s no loyalty anymore but activating a clause takes the biscuit for me. Had he left end of the season I’d have wished him all the best.

Whether he needs it or not he’s not going to turn it down because he didn’t want to leave his team mates high and dry - although I’m not quite sure how he even done that. He left, football players leave all the time. He didn’t leave them having to deal with some sort of shambolic situation that a footballer should never have to deal with.

The clause is there for a reason, so that the player can activate it. I can’t see how we can turn round and then claim he was wrong for doing so.

calumhibee1
14-07-2019, 03:17 PM
A lot of fans act like spurned teenagers over players who leave us.

I’d take Dylan and Efe back without question, because they were good players for us.

:agree:

Weegreenman
14-07-2019, 04:04 PM
Whether he needs it or not he’s not going to turn it down because he didn’t want to leave his team mates high and dry - although I’m not quite sure how he even done that. He left, football players leave all the time. He didn’t leave them having to deal with some sort of shambolic situation that a footballer should never have to deal with.

The clause is there for a reason, so that the player can activate it. I can’t see how we can turn round and then claim he was wrong for doing so.

I’d rather we had the type of player who stayed until the end of the season but not only for that reason I wouldn’t want to see him back at the club.

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 04:16 PM
Sorry if this sounds harsh but I'd question how much someone knows about football if they wouldn't take Efe Ambrose back at Hibs.

Quality player.

I hold my hands up, I didn't want him when he first signed, having seen some of Celtic performances, but he won me over :greengrin

Never be too proud to admit being wrong, and I was wrong about Ambrose.

Tarrahib
14-07-2019, 04:16 PM
Don't know if they would want to come back now.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
They both left of their own accord.Don't look back in anger.

Tarrahib
14-07-2019, 04:21 PM
Efe didn't leave us to go to Derby.He left us and in the end he eventually signed for them.

calumhibee1
14-07-2019, 04:28 PM
Efe didn't leave us to go to Derby.He left us and in the end he eventually signed for them.

That’s true. I’m sure he would have had a rough idea who was interested and what kind of money was on the table though.

sadtom
14-07-2019, 04:28 PM
Dylan the best we've had since Boozy at taking the ball in tight areas, retaining possession and keeping the ball moving, would walk into this Hibs team.
Efe? He'd saunter, swagger, stroll, sashay in. And be the best by a distance.

Weegreenman
14-07-2019, 04:48 PM

Quality player.

Not only harsh but arrogant. It’s all about opinions. I’ve heard plenty who would agree with you but there there are a few of us who don’t.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 04:52 PM
Not only harsh but arrogant. It’s all about opinions. I’ve heard plenty who would agree with you but there there are a few of us who don’t.

If you can't appreciate what Ambrose brought to Hibs, there's really no point in having this conversation.

I don't mean that to sound harsh or arrogant but I really don't know what you want from a Hibs player if you don't think he was class.

jacomo
14-07-2019, 04:56 PM

So they say.

But some opinions are more based in reality than others.

Weegreenman
14-07-2019, 05:03 PM
If you can't appreciate what Ambrose brought to Hibs, there's really no point in having this conversation.

I don't mean that to sound harsh or arrogant but I really don't know what you want from a Hibs player if you don't think he was class.

He certainly wasn’t class. His athleticism helped out of tricky situations that were usually self inflicted. Nobody knew what he was going to do next, not me, you or his team mates. He could travel with the ball but very rarely looked dangerous when he got near the oppositions eighteen yard line. I don’t think I ever saw him go for a fifty fifty either. Hardly ever put his foot in unless he knew he could nick it away clean. I get that some will disagree and my opinion might be unpopular, that’s fine but please don’t question fellow supporters football knowledge because that. Opinions eh. :rolleyes:

Weegreenman
14-07-2019, 05:04 PM
So they say.

But some opinions are more based in reality than others.

Aye nae bother :aok:

Weegreenman
14-07-2019, 05:15 PM

I couldn’t understand that tbh. Why would you activate a clause in your contract if your playing football every week for a club, without having something else nailed down?

CapitalGreen
14-07-2019, 05:37 PM

Maybe arrogant but he’s 100% spot on. I’d even perhaps say he didn’t go far enough, clueless is how I’d describe someone who didn’t rate Ambrose’s contribution to Hibs.

BlackSheep
14-07-2019, 05:47 PM
IIRC Hecky said he was looking to play out from the back so I am reasonably confident that he didn’t really play to his preferred tactics yesterday, most likely due to personnel. With this in mind I am sure he and the George and Graeme will have players who fit this style of football at the top of their list. Once the window closes then we can pass judgement... 6 signings at the start of the window does not mean we are finished and also does not mean we brought in 6 starters... longer contracts mean they must see potential. Don’t panic just yet.

calumhibee1
14-07-2019, 05:52 PM
He certainly wasn’t class. His athleticism helped out of tricky situations that were usually self inflicted. Nobody knew what he was going to do next, not me, you or his team mates. He could travel with the ball but very rarely looked dangerous when he got near the oppositions eighteen yard line. I don’t think I ever saw him go for a fifty fifty either. Hardly ever put his foot in unless he knew he could nick it away clean. I get that some will disagree and my opinion might be unpopular, that’s fine but please don’t question fellow supporters football knowledge because that. Opinions eh. :rolleyes:

Ambrose strolled off the pitch most weeks having hardly broke sweat and could have just folded up his kit to be used again next week. When you’re as good as he is at our level you’ll hardly ever have to go in for a 50/50 or a slide tackle, much like you’ll probably never see the likes of Van Dijk ever have to go in for one - Efe was just doing it at a lower level. The way he read the game, his positioning and like you mentioned, his athleticism ensured he very rarely had to compete for a 50/50 or a slide tackle.

Weegreenman
14-07-2019, 05:59 PM
Ambrose strolled off the pitch most weeks having hardly broke sweat and could have just folded up his kit to be used again next week. When you’re as good as he is at our level you’ll hardly ever have to go in for a 50/50 or a slide tackle, much like you’ll probably never see the likes of Van Dijk ever have to go in for one - Efe was just doing it at a lower level. The way he read the game, his positioning and like you mentioned, his athleticism ensured he very rarely had to compete for a 50/50 or a slide tackle.

Except when he did have to go in for a tackle or a header and shat oot it.

MWHIBBIES
14-07-2019, 06:11 PM

Which never happened.

BILLYHIBS
14-07-2019, 06:17 PM

Never saw that happen

Most of it would be of his own doing an Efe moment or overkicking the ball but fair play to him nine times out of ten he would recover the situation but would never bottle a challenge

His last game at home versus Hearts he was totally outstanding and bottled nothing that night :greengrin

WeeRussell
14-07-2019, 07:33 PM
Would gladly have both of them back.. obviously.

One? Efe please.

Not that either are going to happen but nice to get us all arguing about whether they’re any good or not again!

CRAZYHIBBY
14-07-2019, 07:56 PM
They are not coming back....end of

Booked4Being-Ugly
14-07-2019, 08:07 PM
They both couldn’t wait to get out for whatever reason.

They have shown no desire to make themselves available for a return so I don’t know why people are beating up Hecky and Hibs for not wasting everyone’s time by trying to resign them!

Clarence
14-07-2019, 08:20 PM
Regardless of whether you think they were good or not - They ain’t coming back. Best to focus our energies on supporting the players that we currently have at the club.

allmodcons
14-07-2019, 08:26 PM
I'd have them both back in a heartbeat, but it ain't going to happen.

Stokesy's on fire
14-07-2019, 08:56 PM
Efe would be a great signing

DarlingtonHibee
14-07-2019, 09:00 PM
I couldn’t understand that tbh. Why would you activate a clause in your contract if your playing football every week for a club, without having something else nailed down?

Its called money, sorry to disillusion you

Speedy
14-07-2019, 09:03 PM
Would take McGeouch back but not fussed either way about Efe.

Here’s Lucy!
14-07-2019, 09:09 PM
No chance of getting either.

Efe however, would be a fantastic signing. Best centre-half we’ve had for years imo.

Efe would be a great signing

:aok:

Would take McGeouch back but not fussed either way about Efe.

:na na:

munchar
14-07-2019, 09:52 PM
No chance on either IMO.

They’re the type of quality players we should be going for. Both know the club well and had a great time here. Don’t think we’ll get any better than them. Some of our new boys didn’t look any better than Stirling players yesterday.

Speedy
14-07-2019, 10:07 PM
:aok:

:na na:

Good player particularly in a back 3/5 but would rather focus on developing the likes of Porteous than have someone who goes AWOL and jumps ship as soon as he finds a loophole to do so.

tamig
14-07-2019, 10:35 PM
Good player particularly in a back 3/5 but would rather focus on developing the likes of Porteous than have someone who goes AWOL and jumps ship as soon as he finds a loophole to do so.

It was a clause agreed between him and the club. Certainly not a loophole.

Hibeesmad
14-07-2019, 10:40 PM

Seemed as if he had something sorted but then it fell through after he had activated the release clause. Had an offer to come back to us at the end of the window but he preferred to go and be a back up at Derby.

It’s a shame because I think if he stayed with us until the end of the season he would have had a lot more opportunity of joining a club like Derby and being more than just a back up.

bookert
14-07-2019, 10:42 PM
You did see him when we got beat 4 zilch by Aberdeen. Mckay steven who he was marking scored three and made the other. Has the defence been our main problem since he left?

BILLYHIBS
14-07-2019, 10:44 PM
You did see him when we got beat 4 zilch by Aberdeen. Mckay steven who he was marking scored three and made the other. Has the defence been our main problem since he left?

Bad day at the office that day 😂

Nicho87
14-07-2019, 10:48 PM
Would they both get a game in our current team.

honestly, after Scott Allan and Boyle they are certainties.

we should be hassling them constantly

oneone73
15-07-2019, 07:08 AM

Wasn't he playing right back that day?

calumhibee1
15-07-2019, 07:36 AM

As someone else said, he was playing full back that day. He did admittedly have a shocker although he’s never a full back. Rarely did anyone in our league get the better of Efe at centre half.

I did say mostly etc in my post aswell, players at our level will always have a stinker every so often :greengrin

Barman Stanton
15-07-2019, 08:01 AM
Im astonished that any Hibs fan wouldnt take Efe back. Probably our best defender since Sauzee was playing sweeper. Just goes to show you can be at the match but watch a totally different game.

BILLYHIBS
15-07-2019, 08:29 AM
Im astonished that any Hibs fan wouldnt take Efe back. Probably our best defender since Sauzee was playing sweeper. Just goes to show you can be at the match but watch a totally different game.

:agree:

jeffers
15-07-2019, 08:32 AM

If the decision was based purely on ability I'd agree.

Barman Stanton
15-07-2019, 08:55 AM
If the decision was based purely on ability I'd agree.

Ability seems to be exactly the reason some wouldn't want him. Bonkers. The guy strolled through games.

munchar
15-07-2019, 10:53 AM
Ability seems to be exactly the reason some wouldn't want him. Bonkers. The guy strolled through games.

While not judging our new signings yet, some will be hit or a miss. Effe & Dylan are a guaranteed hit.

Barman Stanton
15-07-2019, 11:43 AM
While not judging our new signings yet, some will be hit or a miss. Effe & Dylan are a guaranteed hit.

Agreed.

SChibs
15-07-2019, 03:58 PM

Ambrose cleared a large chunk of opposition corners out of the box. His role was clearly to judge the ball in and clear it away which he excelled at. I'm started to believe you have never actually seen him play. The fact he rarely had the chance to dive into a 50/50 tells you how good he was. He put himself in situations where a last ditch tackle or the like was not required. Towards the end of Lennons tenure was a crap time but Ambrose was consistently decent despite none of the other players playing well

Baader
15-07-2019, 04:21 PM
Efe would improve our side no question. As many said he was one of the best defenders in Scotland when he left.

15-07-2019, 06:35 PM

You did see him from July to December last season where he barely put a foot wrong?

In my opinion Efe was the clear frontrunner for POTY at the time he left. In fact his half season would have had him in the running for it if it'd been the 2nd half and not the 1st.

And it was 4-1 against Aberdeen, Stokes scored a late consolation goal.

Springbank
15-07-2019, 07:24 PM
I like watching rolls Royce footballers in a hibs Jersey and efe & Dylan are certainly that.

I will be pleasantly surprised if any of hecky's lads come close to the efe/Dylan level of football ability, wins v rangers, derby wins, cup runs & enjoyable football to watch.

I'd prefer Dylan & efe than 6 squad players with the budget

bigwheel
15-07-2019, 07:44 PM
I like watching rolls Royce footballers in a hibs Jersey and efe & Dylan are certainly that.

I will be pleasantly surprised if any of hecky's lads come close to the efe/Dylan level of football ability, wins v rangers, derby wins, cup runs & enjoyable football to watch.

Decent post this ...all for giving PH full support - but surely no one can say it looks like we have signed this sort of quality yet in this window ?

Scouse Hibee
15-07-2019, 07:48 PM

Now you’re making up things to suit your argument.

jakedance
15-07-2019, 07:48 PM
Honestly if you don’t like to see cool as **** dudes like Dylan and Efe in your team then you don’t deserve football.

My old man
15-07-2019, 07:55 PM
I really really do hope wee Ron reads .net because he really could
Show us a massive show of intent and go all out to try and
Sign those 2 (maybe LG) too
ST’s would smash all records and would pay for the salaries
Now I’m not trying to sound as if I know how to run a football club
But I think the maths may work

In Ron we trust

GGTTH

Ps I do know that they might not want to come back and LG
Plays for sellick (in a long contract) but if you dinnae ask you
Dinnae get
Dinnae want any arguing BTW

munchar
15-07-2019, 08:11 PM

Spot on 👏

Greenworld
15-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Both players would be a massive asset to the team no question

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

majorhibs
15-07-2019, 09:47 PM

Efe would improve our side no question. As many said he was one of the best defenders in Scotland when he left.

Efe Ambrose is a total class football player that Hibs were very fortunate to have! Dylan McGeouch was pretty much top drawer in the Scottish top league tae! Not wanting proven players of class & ability like that in yer team is madness beyond my reasoning I’m afraid!

heretoday
16-07-2019, 07:14 AM
Dylan yes. Efe no. Sorry.

FilipinoHibs
16-07-2019, 12:28 PM
Dylan yes. Efe no. Sorry.

What is your rationale for that ststement?

Speedy
16-07-2019, 12:53 PM
It was a clause agreed between him and the club. Certainly not a loophole.

Semantics. He still jumped ship when he didn't want to be here.

hibsforeurope
16-07-2019, 12:57 PM
both players would improve what we finished the season with and what we have recruited so far. we need to be signing quality like this if we intend to close the gap and challenge for top 4.

MWHIBBIES
16-07-2019, 12:58 PM
Semantics. He still jumped ship when he didn't want to be here.

So did Scott Allan.

DarlingtonHibee
16-07-2019, 03:36 PM
I really really do hope wee Ron reads .net because he really could
Show us a massive show of intent and go all out to try and
Sign those 2 (maybe LG) too
ST’s would smash all records and would pay for the salaries
Now I’m not trying to sound as if I know how to run a football club
But I think the maths may work

In Ron we trust

GGTTH

Ps I do know that they might not want to come back and LG
Plays for sellick (in a long contract) but if you dinnae ask you
Dinnae get
Dinnae want any arguing BTW

Not going to happen.

Simple math's

Gaffer1875
16-07-2019, 06:26 PM
Was gutted when both left and would love both back, Dylan more so than Efe if I had to pick one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jones28
16-07-2019, 07:22 PM

We’d be mental not to.

heretoday
18-07-2019, 12:13 AM
What is your rationale for that ststement?

He was unreliable at the back as many on here have said. Actually, I thought he would have been better playing further forward as he made some good runs.

CockneyRebel
18-07-2019, 09:44 AM
He was unreliable at the back as many on here have said. Actually, I thought he would have been better playing further forward as he made some good runs.

He was not unreliable unless you expect to sign defenders who NEVER make a mistake (and we have never had one of those because they don't exist - even Le God made mistakes). It was because Efe was such a good player that when he did make a mistake it looked worse than it would have had it been a different defender. Too many people (maybe take a look in the mirror) watching his every move waiting (hoping?) for him to make a mistake. IMO he made fewer mistakes over a season than our other defenders (how many mistake free seasons/matches did Gray/Hanlon/McGregor/Stevenson have?. Realistically he is one of the best defenders we have ever had. I thought we had signed a "bombscare" but he won me over and never gave me cause to regret it. I was unhappy with the timing when he left mid season and that tarnished his reputation a bit with me but I was glad of the time he spent with us.

California-Hibs
18-07-2019, 09:48 AM
Blows my mind how some folk didn't rate Efe. Literally our best centre half since Sauzee and I'll argue that fact all day long. We were incredible fortunate to even sign Efe in the first place. A masterstroke from Lennon!

Since452
18-07-2019, 09:51 AM
Blows my mind how some folk didn't rate Efe. Literally our best centre half since Sauzee and I'll argue that fact all day long. We were incredible fortunate to even sign Efe in the first place. A masterstroke from Lennon!

Totally agree. Best thing Lennon did was sign Efe imo. Class act.

GreenCastle
18-07-2019, 09:54 AM
He was an unbelievable player and ok at times he took risks / may have caused some errors but he had many successful dribbles and was a fantastic defender / attacking defender.

Rarely missed a game and was a joy to watch.

Add in his celebration flip and that’s entertainment I would pay to watch.

calumhibee1
20-07-2019, 08:21 AM

An interesting stat I saw this morning following on from this - Paolo Maldini made 0.58 tackles a game throughout his career and was one of the best defenders of all time. He’s quoted as saying “if I have to make a tackle I have already made a mistake”.

Wonder what James McPakes average would be :greengrin