PDA

View Full Version : Player Threads

PH91
13-07-2019, 09:19 PM
I, along with many others I'm sure, went onto the villa forum quite a bit last year to check out all the plaudits SJM was getting from their fans.

One thing i noticed was that they have a thread for each player that just continues to be added to. Each one starts pretty much when the rumour of signing begins and presumably continues forever.

I thought it was far better than continual new threads on players every 2 or 3 weeks after games. You can easily scroll back and see if views on players are changing or remain consistent. Has this approach ever been discussed on here before?

Sammy7nil
13-07-2019, 09:40 PM
Yes it has been discussed and perhaps Admins could start a thread for each b squad player?

13-07-2019, 10:16 PM
Totally agree, it would be much better that way.

hfc rd
13-07-2019, 10:17 PM
Good shout.

They have something very similar over on Redcafe.

judas
14-07-2019, 07:13 PM
I, along with many others I'm sure, went onto the villa forum quite a bit last year to check out all the plaudits SJM was getting from their fans.

One thing i noticed was that they have a thread for each player that just continues to be added to. Each one starts pretty much when the rumour of signing begins and presumably continues forever.

I thought it was far better than continual new threads on players every 2 or 3 weeks after games. You can easily scroll back and see if views on players are changing or remain consistent. Has this approach ever been discussed on here before?

Very good idea and I would welcome it.

Every time we have a big win (say against Hearts) a thread seems to start for virtually every first team player.

It’s all very spontaneous and quite often (though not always) an over the top eulogy for a player that was being panned only the week before - or will be the week after.

Pretty Boy
14-07-2019, 07:17 PM
Personally I hate those threads.

I don't like the merged transfer threads for a similar reason, if you don't check them for a day or 2 when you go back it's almost impossible to work out what way the conversation has gone without reading back multiple pages. I'm sure the Villa thread on Alan Hutton spanned about 9 years.

I like the spontaneous outpouring of emotion after a win or loss and I'm not that bothered if someone's view of a player changes from game to game. Merged threads like that just encourage people to drag up old posts to have a pop at people.

PH91
17-07-2019, 10:43 PM
Personally I hate those threads.

I don't like the merged transfer threads for a similar reason, if you don't check them for a day or 2 when you go back it's almost impossible to work out what way the conversation has gone without reading back multiple pages. I'm sure the Villa thread on Alan Hutton spanned about 9 years.

I like the spontaneous outpouring of emotion after a win or loss and I'm not that bothered if someone's view of a player changes from game to game. Merged threads like that just encourage people to drag up old posts to have a pop at people.

The first part doesn't make sense to me, i don't see any difference between reading new pages on an old thread or a new thread.

I appreciate the second point, though. I see easily being able to look back as a good thing but can understand how it could be easier to take a shot at others.

No huge desire to campaign for change, was just interested. :thumbsup:

jacomo
17-07-2019, 10:45 PM

:agree:

Admin pricks should sort it.