PDA

View Full Version : Joe Newell

Zazu62
13-07-2019, 08:02 PM
I’ve not seen him play, is he a fast winger what’s he like?

bingo70
13-07-2019, 08:03 PM
This could be a long and angry thread 😂

snedzuk
13-07-2019, 08:03 PM

if youve got a tin hat, you better look it out now.

Scouse Hibee
13-07-2019, 08:10 PM

Someone on the terracing today suggested he should piss off back to Love Island :greengrin

500miles
13-07-2019, 08:12 PM
The Super Joe song could make a comeback. So could the f****** Joe comments.

hibIBZ
13-07-2019, 08:14 PM
He had a run in the first half where he showed a couple of nice touches, apart from that it was hard to tell of he is good or not as he was never involved. Newel and James didn't seem to link very well but then it is the first time they have played on the same side. Didn't seem to want to get stuck in and looked like he would rather be anywhere else. Poor performance overall for me and rightly hooked

The 90+2
13-07-2019, 08:15 PM
Alan O’Brien with a punctured tyre.

judas
13-07-2019, 08:15 PM
I felt he was the pick of Heck’s signings tbh. He has played in the championship as a regular for the past 3 seasons.

The remaining signings have all been operating at a lower level.

If he’s not cutting it then is surprises me more than it would Heck’s other signings.

Are we sure we can say he is bad after only 1 competitive match?!?!

SON OF PADDY
13-07-2019, 08:16 PM
Didn't look at all interested, should have been hooked long before half-time.
If that's ment to be an improvement on the players we already have, God help us.

MWHIBBIES
13-07-2019, 08:17 PM
Plays like he won a cereal packet competition to join the club for a week. Just don't see what he offers at all.

Billy Whizz
13-07-2019, 08:18 PM
I felt he was the pick of Heck’s signings tbh. He has played in the championship as a regular for the past 3 seasons.

The remaining signings have all been operating at a lower level.

If he’s not cutting it then is surprises me more than it would Heck’s other signings.

I agree with this, just need to find a system that suits Hibs and Joe best

BILLYHIBS
13-07-2019, 08:18 PM
Sounds harsh I know after only 90 minutes but what I seen today it’s a no from me

Couldnae lace Super Joes boots

How bad does Hecky think the standard is in the SPFL Premiership?

SteveHFC
13-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Didn’t impress me today. But willing to give him and the rest of the new boys a chance.

The 90+2
13-07-2019, 08:20 PM
I agree with this, just need to find a system that suits Hibs and Joe best

I thought we had signed players to play a specific part in a system Hecky wants us to play?

truehibernian
13-07-2019, 08:21 PM
Didn't look at all interested, should have been hooked long before half-time.
If that's ment to be an improvement on the players we already have, God help us.

My worry is that PH doesn't appreciate genuine pace worries teams and if he thinks players like Newell will offer that (or genuine wing play) he's mistaken in Newell - I think he's awful so far.

SideBurns
13-07-2019, 08:21 PM
Alan O'Brien's arthritic tortoise, but with less heart.

I don't like writing players off at the first showing, but I'd be amazed if he cuts it in the SPL. Amazed, but delighted.

Bostonhibby
13-07-2019, 08:38 PM
Alan O’Brien with a punctured tyre.Alan O'Brien on a motor bike, with a sidecar?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Hiber-nation
13-07-2019, 08:39 PM
In the brief time I saw him at Dunfermline I was amazed to see that he just wasn't interested in tracking back. If you're low on confidence (the only excuse I can think of) then at least try to put a shift in.

BoomtownHibees
13-07-2019, 08:42 PM

I’m sure folk can say he was bad in his only competitive match so far

bingo70
13-07-2019, 08:47 PM
I’m sure folk can say he was bad in his only competitive match so far

I think the criticism is also there because he was dreadful against Dunfermline last week too.

Think I read a post about him being really bad against Carlisle but I may be getting mixed up there.

Sounds like he needs a wee spell out the firing line, I’d love to say he was possibly trying too hard but I don’t think that’s a criticism that could be labelled at him today.

CloudSquall
13-07-2019, 08:53 PM
The Super Joe experience is making a comeback to our screens like Toy Story, what a time to be alive :greengrin

wookie70
13-07-2019, 09:11 PM
He is going to struggle due to his body language. He simply doesn't look interested. He also plays on the wing so he is at close quarters to the fans and there was one challenge that was a 60-40 in his favour in the first half he bottled out of completely. Fans just don't accept a player who isn't giving it their best. It looks a grim signing at the moment but he is settling into a new home, probably missing mates and working with different colleagues. There have been a few moments in games where he has shown some quality so let's hope he settles and becomes a useful member of the team.

Doidge is getting good reviews from fans simply because of his effort imo. He reminds me of Bryan Graham who was slated on here. Doidge certainly put a shift in but he looks far from clinical and I'm not sure he can play up to on his own. The same applies to him as Newell and he might end of settling and battering goals in for fun. Totally ok to be concerned with Hecks signings but they need a month or two to settle in. Very different moving from the midlands etc to Scotland than coming to us from central Scotland as many of our signings have recently.

Ronniekirk
13-07-2019, 09:12 PM
My worry is that PH doesn't appreciate genuine pace worries teams and if he thinks players like Newell will offer that (or genuine wing play) he's mistaken in Newell - I think he's awful so far.

Yet P H when he met fans at the Hibs Club said he knew he wanted pace and strength in the team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SideBurns
13-07-2019, 09:23 PM
Yet P H when he met fans at the Hibs Club said he knew he wanted pace and strength in the team

Unless Newell is just lacking sharpness/fitness, he contains neither of the qualities of pace or strength.

SON OF PADDY
13-07-2019, 09:23 PM
He is going to struggle due to his body language. He simply doesn't look interested. He also plays on the wing so he is at close quarters to the fans and there was one challenge that was a 60-40 in his favour in the first half he bottled out of completely. Fans just don't accept a player who isn't giving it their best. It looks a grim signing at the moment but he is settling into a new home, probably missing mates and working with different colleagues. There have been a few moments in games where he has shown some quality so let's hope he settles and becomes a useful member of the team.

Doidge is getting good reviews from fans simply because of his effort imo. He reminds me of Bryan Graham who was slated on here. Doidge certainly put a shift in but he looks far from clinical and I'm not sure he can play up to on his own. The same applies to him as Newell and he might end of settling and battering goals in for fun. Totally ok to be concerned with Hecks signings but they need a month or two to settle in. Very different moving from the midlands etc to Scotland than coming to us from central Scotland as many of our signings have recently.

No being funny mate! But it's the midlands,hardly the other side of the world?

Renfrew_Hibby
13-07-2019, 09:40 PM

No its not but to your average 20 something English person, Scotland seems like it might be.

lyonhibs
13-07-2019, 09:45 PM
No its not but to your average 20 something English person, Scotland seems like it might be.

:faf::faf::faf:

I'm sure he had access to Google maps before he signed on the dotted line.

Either he's good enough or he's not. It's far too easy to say IMO but some folk have made their minds up already it seems. Which is great.

wookie70
13-07-2019, 09:49 PM
It is still a big move. Nowhere near as much as someone from overseas but still worth taking into consideration.The new signings haven't impressed me but I'll give them some time to settle

Sammy7nil
13-07-2019, 09:52 PM

Absolutely correct moving from Porty to Leith seemed like a big move :greengrin

Wilson
13-07-2019, 09:53 PM

Aye but Heck likes to improve players. Signing a slow *****bag gives him something to build on.

Ronniekirk
13-07-2019, 10:02 PM
Unless Newell is just lacking sharpness/fitness, he contains neither of the qualities of pace or strength.

Haven’t seen him but no one is saying he possesses that which is why I quoted what P H said You would assume he is signing players he knows about from down south

SON OF PADDY
13-07-2019, 10:03 PM
It is still a big move. Nowhere near as much as someone from overseas but still worth taking into consideration.The new signings haven't impressed me but I'll give them some time to settle

I'm all for giving players time to settle, but how long do you give them?
We need player's up to speed pronto.

Sammy7nil
13-07-2019, 10:12 PM
I'm all for giving players time to settle, but how long do you give them?
We need player's up to speed pronto.

Maybe 6 - 8 weeks ? He has a few to go .

Seekyit
13-07-2019, 10:20 PM
Didn't Rotherham fans say he was a bit temperamental?

When he's on his game he's good but you won't see it every week?

I know that doesn't help or excuse...

SON OF PADDY
13-07-2019, 10:21 PM
Maybe 6 - 8 weeks ? He has a few to go .

He's a professional footballer!
I would expect him to settle in sooner than 6-8 weeks,if he can't then there's always someone else waiting to take their chance?

B.H.F.C
13-07-2019, 10:29 PM
Heckingbottom, in his Hibs TV interview, spoke about Josh Campbell’s attitude, willingness to tackle, chase back etc.

He also mentioned that puts him ahead of some of the other players who aren’t doing that side of the game. Didn’t name names but Newell must have been one he was referring to.

Sammy7nil
13-07-2019, 10:30 PM
He's a professional footballer!
I would expect him to settle in sooner than 6-8 weeks,if he can't then there's always someone else waiting to take their chance?

I agree but look how well a young Maradonna settled at Barca he was hopeless :wink:

tonyrougier123
13-07-2019, 10:49 PM
Someone on the terracing today suggested he should piss off back to Love Island :greengrin

There is more to come from newell...just wait til he is recoupled with lewey stevenson 😉

Hibernian32
14-07-2019, 02:59 AM
I think the criticism is also there because he was dreadful against Dunfermline last week too.

Think I read a post about him being really bad against Carlisle but I may be getting mixed up there.

Sounds like he needs a wee spell out the firing line, I’d love to say he was possibly trying too hard but I don’t think that’s a criticism that could be labelled at him today.

Very quiet in the carsile game. tbh not gonna right him off but he's not done anything to assume he's better than anything we already have.

kaimendhibs
14-07-2019, 03:08 AM

Sounds like he needs a wee spell out the firing line, I’d love to say he was possibly trying too hard but I don’t think that’s a criticism that could be labelled at him today.He was awful in Carlisle. No oooomph and ended up hiding. Only player we subbed at half time

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
14-07-2019, 03:41 AM

Gash!

Weegreenman
14-07-2019, 05:26 AM
Mate of mine is a Rotherham supporter. He tells me the lad on his day is a handful for any defence. I’ll wait until our signings are settled in at the club and had a half dozen games under their belt before making a judgment.

Springbank
14-07-2019, 06:16 AM
Lennon had his faults but one thing he got right was this:

He didn't hesitate to move on any signings that just didn't work out (even Stokes/Murray) at the earliest opportunity.

Newell has a big 2 weeks ahead to show he has found his home here.

The hibs banner says 'time for heroes' no time for passengers.

Phil MaGlass
14-07-2019, 06:17 AM
Mate of mine is a Rotherham supporter. He tells me the lad on his day is a handful for any defence. I’ll wait until our signings are settled in at the club and had a half dozen games under their belt before making a judgment.

Cant wait for players to have half a dozen games to settle in, they need to hit the ground running, this is their bread and butter, Arbroath and Stirling f,n Albion ffs. If players seem disinterested, bin them.How the hell they can be disinterested even before the season has started is baffling though.

SON OF PADDY
14-07-2019, 06:32 AM
Cant wait for players to have half a dozen games to settle in, they need to hit the ground running, this is their bread and butter, Arbroath and Stirling f,n Albion ffs. If players seem disinterested, bin them.How the hell they can be disinterested even before the season has started is baffling though.

You've hit the nail,on the head mate !

Centre Hawf
14-07-2019, 06:52 AM
Not seen any of our pre season so far but it seems my initial worries about him are coming true. I admittedly didn't know much about him but when I looked into him after he was announced it stood out that he wasn't a quick winger, and could apparently play number 10? Perhaps in any other season he would have slotted well in behind the striker but with Scott Allan back that position is filled and lets be honest it's nailed on that Scotty will keep it if he stays fit and hungry.

I've never subscribed to the idea of slow but technical wingers, especially in our league. You can teach a player to make the right choices and right places to be to make them. But you can't teach them the blistering pace to get there if they just don't have that athleticism.

Pace hurts teams, you only need to look at Martin Boyle as an example, he couldn't control a ball in his first 18 months at the club then all of a sudden it clicked and he's been one of our best players since Lennon joined probably. Sproule another example of how it just clicked one day. Chris Humphrey as well didn't have much going for him when he rocked up at Motherwell but a bit of match practise and coaching and he was one of the more impacting players in his final year or 2.

Worried about this signing but at least we have Boyle and Horgan still in those areas.

truehibernian
14-07-2019, 07:09 AM
Not seen any of our pre season so far but it seems my initial worries about him are coming true. I admittedly didn't know much about him but when I looked into him after he was announced it stood out that he wasn't a quick winger, and could apparently play number 10? Perhaps in any other season he would have slotted well in behind the striker but with Scott Allan back that position is filled and lets be honest it's nailed on that Scotty will keep it if he stays fit and hungry.

I've never subscribed to the idea of slow but technical wingers, especially in our league. You can teach a player to make the right choices and right places to be to make them. But you can't teach them the blistering pace to get there if they just don't have that athleticism.

Pace hurts teams, you only need to look at Martin Boyle as an example, he couldn't control a ball in his first 18 months at the club then all of a sudden it clicked and he's been one of our best players since Lennon joined probably. Sproule another example of how it just clicked one day. Chris Humphrey as well didn't have much going for him when he rocked up at Motherwell but a bit of match practise and coaching and he was one of the more impacting players in his final year or 2.

Worried about this signing but at least we have Boyle and Horgan still in those areas.

Without doubt we need another fast winger. Boyle will be away with Australia and there is nothing so far, for me, that says we have players who get 'bums off seats' and attack with pace - what's also worrying for me is I don't think Heckingbottom likes that kind of width. One thing about a Lennon side is he loves pace in wide areas and has at least three or four options on that front. In the preseason games thus far I'm seeing absolutely nothing of this 'high press' Heckingbottom advocates. On the contrary, I'm seeing midfielders and defenders stand off and allow so much space it's worrying.

Caversham Green
14-07-2019, 07:12 AM
Having seen him play down here a few times, I'm surprised that he hasn't been a success so far. What I saw was the very opposite of what's being described and I thought he was a very good signing. He's never looked like an out and out winger though, plays a bit deeper and the part of his game I was most impressed with was his interplay with his teammates, moving the ball around and bringing other players into moves. He also didn't look slow by any means. Of course these were away matches for him so maybe the teams were set up more defensively, but the last time I saw him he pretty much dictated the left side of midfield.

Hopefully he just needs time to gel with his new team.

Viva_Palmeiras
14-07-2019, 07:16 AM
Having seen him play down here a few times, I'm surprised that he hasn't been a success so far. What I saw was the very opposite of what's being described and I thought he was a very good signing. He's never looked like an out and out winger though, plays a bit deeper and the part of his game I was most impressed with was his interplay with his teammates, moving the ball around and bringing other players into moves. He also didn't look slow by any means. Of course these were away matches for him so maybe the teams were set up more defensively, but the last time I saw him he pretty much dictated the left side of midfield.

He apparently didn’t read the email that advised he’d get little or no time
For that at Hibs... :(

truehibernian
14-07-2019, 07:19 AM

CG, fair enough but I'd caveat that by saying the game down south is not as quick or intense as up here and players coming up to Scotland all acknowledge that. Pace is vital in a top flight side and already we are looking static and ponderous - the opposite of what PH said he wanted. We're four players short (minimum) of having a competitive 'top 4' squad. I'm not in the 'bed-wetting' camp, but early signs are not encouraging at all and I've not felt like that for the last 5 seasons. Players need to gel quickly and adapt quickly - teams like St Mirren, Livi, etc. are not going to stand on ceremony and admire us - they'll be snapping into tackles and giving everything at the start of the season.

Newell might have the languid style which can be deceptive (in the sense of not looking keen) - but the games I've watched, I've tried to watch him closely and his movement - he just isn't impressing one bit so far.

Centre Hawf
14-07-2019, 07:20 AM
Without doubt we need another fast winger. Boyle will be away with Australia and there is nothing so far, for me, that says we have players who get 'bums off seats' and attack with pace - what's also worrying for me is I don't think Heckingbottom likes that kind of width. One thing about a Lennon side is he loves pace in wide areas and has at least three or four options on that front. In the preseason games thus far I'm seeing absolutely nothing of this 'high press' Heckingbottom advocates. On the contrary, I'm seeing midfielders and defenders stand off and allow so much space it's worrying.

I definitely would like another winger now. I wasn't overly fussed until I started reading more about Newells performances so far from people. He could still come good but I think maybe getting in another loanee from Man City like Barker or Agyepong (preferably a fit player) would allow us to rotate more often.

truehibernian
14-07-2019, 07:22 AM
I definitely would like another winger now. I wasn't overly fussed until I started reading more about Newells performances so far from people. He could still come good but I think maybe getting in another loanee from Man City like Barker or Agyepong (preferably a fit player) would allow us to rotate more often.

Yep CH, fully in agreement with that :aok: and stays injury free for most of the season.

greenlex
14-07-2019, 07:23 AM
Missed a sitter at the back post yesterday. Seems very timid.

judas
14-07-2019, 07:28 AM

My old man also has the 6 game philosophy.

I think it makes a lot of sense.

SideBurns
14-07-2019, 08:04 AM
Haven’t seen him but no one is saying he possesses that which is why I quoted what P H said You would assume he is signing players he knows about from down south

Aye, if PH said strength & pace were priorities you would assume that anyone he signs would possess one or the other. Hopefully Newell is just taking time to settle in and we'll see the player PH obviously thinks would improve the team. Initial impressions aren't good, but he has another week's training before the Alloa game.

Ozyhibby
14-07-2019, 08:34 AM
I know he’s just arrived but we were playing Stirling Albion ffs. If he is that bad against them, how is he going to cope v Hearts? I don’t want to write him off but he needs to turn this round quickly.

overdrive
14-07-2019, 08:37 AM
I’m not convinced he’s a left winger. He was awful against Dunfermline when he was in position. When he got drawn out of position for whatever reason (usually set pieces) into a more central position or coming in from the right, he looked more than decent.

rotherhamrob
14-07-2019, 08:39 AM

I'm surprised as well, having spoken to a fair few Rotherham fans the general opinion was that he could be a bit lazy at times but that when he was on he was pretty much unplayable.
I've also been told by a few that when Rotherham played villa he gave John mcginn a roasting for about 60 mins.
Suppose we'll have to wait and see if he puts in those sort of performances for us.

oldbutdim
14-07-2019, 09:12 AM
I watched him at Dunfermline, Carlisle, and Stirling.
The first time he beat his man was the 35th minute yesterday.

calumhibee1
14-07-2019, 09:17 AM
My old man also has the 6 game philosophy.

I think it makes a lot of sense.

Players shouldn’t necessarily have shown everything they’ve got within 6 games but I’d agree that you should be able to make a fairly accurate call on them after 6. If Newell has truly been that bad then it doesn’t bode well for the rest of his time here as you’d have expected him to have at least shown something in his 4 games so far.

superfurryhibby
14-07-2019, 10:24 AM
Poor man’s Matt Done.

Not imoressed.

we are hibs
14-07-2019, 10:29 AM
How long is Boyle away this time? :rolleyes:

BILLYHIBS
14-07-2019, 10:31 AM
Gash!

:agree:

Since452
14-07-2019, 10:36 AM
Needs a serious rocket. Must have thought it was a doddle up here

jacomo
14-07-2019, 10:42 AM
I thought we’d signed a proper left winger but Hecky says his best position is more narrow.

I’m struggling to remember the last player we had who genuinely thrives on the left touch line.

CMurdoch
14-07-2019, 10:43 AM
When he signed up i did a bit of research from which he seemed a typical winger type who blows hot and cold.
He is the only signing I was concerned about and sadly he appears to be blowing cold and cold at the moment.
Hope he can turn it around.

truehibernian
14-07-2019, 10:45 AM
I thought we’d signed a proper left winger but Hecky says his best position is more narrow.

I’m struggling to remember the last player we had who genuinely thrives on the left touch line.

Crunchie was excellent on both wings - like you, can't recall anyone (consistent) who hugged the byeline and was an out and out left winger with pace. Barker has it but that ship has sailed. We definitely need another player with genuine pace to get past a man.

oldbutdim
14-07-2019, 10:47 AM
When he signed up i did a bit of research from which he seemed a typical winger type who blows hot and cold.
He is the only signing I was concerned about and sadly he appears to be blowing cold and cold at the moment.
Hope he can turn it around.

Just cold so far.

J-C
14-07-2019, 10:51 AM
We still need wide cover with pace, it's obvious to see that when Boyle is out then Horgan shifts over to the right , the left wing where Horgan plays best is missing, someone similar to Barker would be perfect in this squad.

truehibernian
14-07-2019, 10:55 AM
We still need wide cover with pace, it's obvious to see that when Boyle is out then Horgan shifts over to the right , the left wing where Horgan plays best is missing, someone similar to Barker would be perfect in this squad.

I agree JC however I don't think PH does as wide players are not being quoted or mentioned - that's worrying for me, especially given it's been a successful way of our style and play this last three seasons. Jeez, I'd even have young Agyepong back if he kept off the treatment table long enough.

The 90+2
14-07-2019, 10:55 AM
He apparently didn’t read the email that advised he’d get little or no time
For that at Hibs... :(

Why won’t he get time? It’s only an initial assessment of the guy.

Smartie
14-07-2019, 11:10 AM
CG, fair enough but I'd caveat that by saying the game down south is not as quick or intense as up here and players coming up to Scotland all acknowledge that. Pace is vital in a top flight side and already we are looking static and ponderous - the opposite of what PH said he wanted. We're four players short (minimum) of having a competitive 'top 4' squad. I'm not in the 'bed-wetting' camp, but early signs are not encouraging at all and I've not felt like that for the last 5 seasons. Players need to gel quickly and adapt quickly - teams like St Mirren, Livi, etc. are not going to stand on ceremony and admire us - they'll be snapping into tackles and giving everything at the start of the season.

Newell might have the languid style which can be deceptive (in the sense of not looking keen) - but the games I've watched, I've tried to watch him closely and his movement - he just isn't impressing one bit so far.

By all accounts he held his own in the Championship - that league is all about pace, strength and intensity.

I don't accept that you need to step up your intensity from playing against John McGinn and Jack Grealish in order to be better than absolute cack against Dunfermline, Carlisle and Stirling Albion.

MichaelBrown
14-07-2019, 12:35 PM
By all accounts he held his own in the Championship - that league is all about pace, strength and intensity.

I don't accept that you need to step up your intensity from playing against John McGinn and Jack Grealish in order to be better than absolute cack against Dunfermline, Carlisle and Stirling Albion.

Not at all, the championship is full of technical ability. There's teams in the Championship that could hold their own in the PL. Rotherham, though, isn't one of them.

Agree with your second part though. Playing 139 times in L1/Championship is at a significantly better level than ***** in the Scottish league two.

Bishop Hibee
14-07-2019, 12:46 PM
He was brutal. Never beat his man once inside or outside. Not interested in tackling or challenging for the hall in the air. The two guys in front of me had been to every pre-season game so far and said he was no different in them. Boyle and Horgsn won’t lose any sleep about losing their places to him on that showing.

BILLYHIBS
14-07-2019, 12:54 PM
He was brutal. Never beat his man once inside or outside. Not interested in tackling or challenging for the hall in the air. The two guys in front of me had been to every pre-season game so far and said he was no different in them. Boyle and Horgsn won’t lose any sleep about losing their places to him on that showing.
One time in the second half he fell over with no one near him

Dearie me!

Needs to buck up his ideas sharpish!

Posh Swanny
15-07-2019, 11:47 AM
As a Peterborough fan, this reaction is something I feared after his signing was announced. A decent player on his day, but that day didn't come around very often for us. People were very surprised that he made the step up so well at Rotherham.

The comments about body language stuck out for me - Peterborough fans are very similar to Hibs fans in their expectations for a player (looking like you give a toss is high up on the list!) and despite him coming through the youth ranks, the fans never really took to him at all. I mentioned on a Posh forum straight after he'd signed that I hope he's grown a pair of bollocks or he'll get mauled at Tynecastle... if the Hibs fans don't get there first!

15-07-2019, 12:00 PM

You've said it yourself, it took Boyle time so surely Newell and the other new guys should be given time before people get on their case.

matty_f
15-07-2019, 12:25 PM
One time in the second half he fell over with no one near him

Dearie me!

Needs to buck up his ideas sharpish!

He needs to buck up his ideas because he fell over?

matty_f
15-07-2019, 12:28 PM
You've said it yourself, it took Boyle time so surely Newell and the other new guys should be given time before people get on their case.

We're not even out of pre-season yet and players are getting hounded. :faf:

I honestly wonder how folk get through the day without spontaneously combusting with rage at every day events happening that they can't apply context to.

Centre Hawf
15-07-2019, 12:58 PM

Definitely too early to write him off and some of the criticism seems harsh given how early it is. But my point was more that in this league pace is king at times and you can coach these guys with pace to do the right things at the right time much like Boyle and Sproule were. But then you could argue Alan O'Brien never learned that and he was lightning.

Time will tell on Joe Newell and I'm happy to let him have it, it's just a bit worrying some of the feedback so far.

BILLYHIBS
15-07-2019, 01:02 PM
He needs to buck up his ideas because he fell over?
Naw cause he was gash!

Lago
15-07-2019, 01:06 PM
This could be a long and angry thread ��
Sounds like season 2019/20 scapegoat, well wee Louis will be pleased:agree:

Robbo6-2
15-07-2019, 01:07 PM
I think he will come good.

Nice left peg and will get sharper.

AZhibee
15-07-2019, 02:43 PM
As a Peterborough fan, this reaction is something I feared after his signing was announced. A decent player on his day, but that day didn't come around very often for us. People were very surprised that he made the step up so well at Rotherham.

The comments about body language stuck out for me - Peterborough fans are very similar to Hibs fans in their expectations for a player (looking like you give a toss is high up on the list!) and despite him coming through the youth ranks, the fans never really took to him at all. I mentioned on a Posh forum straight after he'd signed that I hope he's grown a pair of bollocks or he'll get mauled at Tynecastle... if the Hibs fans don't get there first!

Interesting observation

Since452
15-07-2019, 02:45 PM
Sounds like season 2019/20 scapegoat, well see Louis will be pleased:agree:

Nah I'm still going to shout at Whittaker this season. Got my "boo" well refined.

The 90+2
15-07-2019, 02:50 PM
Nah I'm still going to shout at Whittaker this season. Got my "boo" well refined.

Whitaker won’t be playing much to be booed. If he is it’s because of the lack of recruitment to address weak areas of the team.

Whittaker also personally doesn’t cop it when he plays, it’s more of a reaction to him actually playing (makes sense ma heid)

B.H.F.C
15-07-2019, 03:03 PM
Whitaker won’t be playing much to be booed. If he is it’s because of the lack of recruitment to address weak areas of the team.

Whittaker also personally doesn’t cop it when he plays, it’s more of a reaction to him actually playing (makes sense ma heid)

Think you’ll be surprised at how often Whittaker plays.

Not going to be in a first choice 11 but our first choice 11 is never available. He’ll get games as a result.

Lago
15-07-2019, 03:15 PM
Crunchie was excellent on both wings - like you, can't recall anyone (consistent) who hugged the byeline and was an out and out left winger with pace. Barker has it but that ship has sailed. We definitely need another player with genuine pace to get past a man.
Arthur Duncan !

Ozyhibby
15-07-2019, 03:18 PM
We're not even out of pre-season yet and players are getting hounded. :faf:

I honestly wonder how folk get through the day without spontaneously combusting with rage at every day events happening that they can't apply context to.

I don’t think there is much rage? At least from me. People are just discussing the merits of the new signings. That’s what the boards are for. For every post concerned about a player there at least two posts from people complaining about people being negative.
If Newall comes good I’ll be full of praise for him and that goes for all the new signings. I’m already warming to Doidge.

BILLYHIBS
15-07-2019, 03:22 PM
Arthur Duncan !

Eric Stevenson

southsider
15-07-2019, 07:28 PM
Eric Stevenson

Aye, The Rebel.

1van Sprou7e
15-07-2019, 07:36 PM

Thanks for sharing

Think all fans expect their players to "give a toss", though 🤔

BILLYHIBS
15-07-2019, 07:40 PM
Aye, The Rebel.

Some player tricky winger always had the full back in his back poakit

Used to get tackled/fouled but always managed to land in the box

Brilliant double act with Joe Davis

Both sadly dead now

Arthur( Nijinsky) was good tae pace to burn and always worth a goal or two

I remember he would always have a shower at half time and would emerge for the second half with his hair soaking and ready to go

Bob1875
15-07-2019, 08:18 PM
Thought both him and the right back that played at Carlisle looked like they couldn’t be arsed, just going through the motions.

cmcd
15-07-2019, 08:20 PM
Naw cause he was gash!

Like you're posts then

BILLYHIBS
15-07-2019, 08:31 PM
Like you're posts then

Agree

My posts are crap but he was gash

You don’t have to pay £14 to read my posts

I have been watching HIBS for fifty years and I am struggling to think of a worse performance

That is saying something believe me

I take it you did not go to the game on Saturday?

flash
15-07-2019, 08:35 PM
4 pages about a boy who has been at the club for about two minutes.

matty_f
15-07-2019, 08:39 PM
Agree

I have been watching HIBS for fifty years and I am struggling to think of a worse performance

What difference does it make if they were at the game on Saturday?

BILLYHIBS
15-07-2019, 08:41 PM
What difference does it make if they were at the game on Saturday?

Just making sure they saw what I saw with their own eyes

I am entitled to ask

Unseen work
15-07-2019, 08:52 PM
Agree

The worst performance you have seen in fifty years? Have a word.

marinello59
15-07-2019, 09:00 PM
Agree

50 years? What was the next worst performance in that time then? :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
15-07-2019, 09:01 PM
The worst performance you have seen in fifty years? Have a word.

I know but it was pretty bad tbh :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
15-07-2019, 09:03 PM
50 years? What was the next worst performance in that time then? :greengrin

Dunno!

Maybe we should put it out there and start a whole new thread

I am sure there have been some bad ones though :greengrin

cmcd
15-07-2019, 09:18 PM
Agree

I was not at the game as my walking frame is out of order.I have been watching Hibs for 64 years and supported some terrible players but I have given them time .You haven't

BILLYHIBS
15-07-2019, 09:31 PM
I was not at the game as my walking frame is out of order.I have been watching Hibs for 64 years and supported some terrible players but I have given them time .You haven't

That was why I asked the question

Maybe if you were at the game you might not be so charitable

He has now played four games for HIBS and the Report Card has come back must do better each time

I agree it is far too early to write any player off and by all accounts at his previous clubs he was an enigma that would blow hot and cold with the ability to change a game with one flash of brilliance

Like every HIBS supporter I want all HIBS players to be a success Saturday has become a must win for us and maybe Hecky will give the boy a rest in order that he may recharge his batteries get his head around his move to the Scottish Premeirship and come back and show us what he is really all about and is the gamechanging player that Hecky knew he had signed

GGTTH

The_Horde
15-07-2019, 09:32 PM
that was why i asked the question

maybe if you were at the game you might not be so charitable

he has now played four games for hibs and the report card has come back must do better each time

i agree it is far too early to write any player off and by all accounts at his previous clubs he was an enigma that would blow hot and cold with the ability to change a game with one flash of brilliance

like every hibs supporter i want all hibs players to be a success saturday has become a must win for us and maybe hecky will give the boy a rest in order that he may recharge his batteries get his head around his move to the scottish premeirship and come back and show us what he is really all about and is the gamechanging player that hecky knew he had signed

ggtth

Why do you always shout HIBS?

hhibs
15-07-2019, 09:35 PM
Eric Stevenson

A wonderful player !

BILLYHIBS
15-07-2019, 09:41 PM
Why do you always shout HIBS?

Eh?

BILLYHIBS
15-07-2019, 09:42 PM
Eh?
Typo error :greengrin

Crunchie
15-07-2019, 11:49 PM
Agree

You must have a terrible memory then.

On a serious note, I think this thread will come back and embarrass a lot of posters, time will tell.

Crunchie
16-07-2019, 12:14 AM
I'm guessing that was your attempt at humour but absolutely no need for that comment.

Apologies, in hindsight it was a joke in bad taste.

jeffers
16-07-2019, 12:16 AM
Apologies, in hindsight it was a joke in bad taste.

No worries I saw you edited after so deleted my post quoting yours.

Crunchie
16-07-2019, 12:24 AM
No worries I saw you edited after so deleted my post quoting yours.
:aok:

monktonharp
16-07-2019, 01:03 AM
:faf::faf::faf:

I'm sure he had access to Google maps before he signed on the dotted line.

Either he's good enough or he's not. It's far too easy to say IMO but some folk have made their minds up already it seems. Which is great.launch him.

BILLYHIBS
16-07-2019, 05:48 AM
You must have a terrible memory then.

On a serious note, I think this thread will come back and embarrass a lot of posters, time will tell.

I hope so

Happy to be proved wrong

The guy needs a rocket up his arse

We are all HIBS! :greengrin

matty_f
16-07-2019, 05:50 AM
I hope so

Happy to be proved wrong

The guy needs a rocket up his arse

We are all HIBS! :greengrin

Maybe instead of a rocket he just needs a good pre season in him.

BILLYHIBS
16-07-2019, 06:00 AM
Maybe instead of a rocket he just needs a good pre season in him.

Said it already

Happy to be proved wrong

I hope you are correct

I honestly do

HFC93
16-07-2019, 06:51 AM
Hopefully he hasn't discovered hibs.net yet.

Tarrahib
16-07-2019, 07:01 AM
I think football fans of all clubs have found Hibs.net and are having a good laugh at a lot of the posters on hers.

The 90+2
16-07-2019, 07:17 AM
I think football fans of all clubs have found Hibs.net and are having a good laugh at a lot of the posters on hers.

You should check the Aberdeen forum, most of them are going mental McInness got a new contract last week for instance.

It surprises me big time the amount of posters on here who have a dig at fellow supporters and even the site all the time for having an opinion - different opinions is surely what makes a football message board?

BILLYHIBS
16-07-2019, 07:22 AM

Probably laughing at us because it is a fans forum for HIBS fans but you are not allowed to have an opinion that criticises any HIBS player

I would suggest that fans of other clubs that want a good belly ache can do worse than visit the ramblings on Keekback. :greengrin

jacomo
16-07-2019, 07:29 AM
Probably laughing at us because it is a fans forum for HIBS fans but you are not allowed to have an opinion that criticises any HIBS player

I would suggest that fans of other clubs that want a good belly ache can do worse than visit the ramblings on Keekback. :greengrin

Please stop.

You are ‘allowed’ any opinion you like but should be prepared for it to be challenged if you can’t back it up. If you are not prepared to have your opinion challenged then maybe a discussion forum is a bit much for you.

BILLYHIBS
16-07-2019, 07:32 AM
Please stop.

You are ‘allowed’ any opinion you like but should be prepared for it to be challenged if you can’t back it up. If you are not prepared to have your opinion challenged then maybe a discussion forum is a bit much for you.

I am happy with my opinion and I am sticking to it please retrace this thread and look at my many posts in defence of this opinion it is well documented :greengrin

DetroitHibs
16-07-2019, 07:34 AM
I’ve watched every preseason game on Hibs TV, I can’t see Newell making an impact at us. He’s struggled to make any sort of impact against part time players. Guys that graft for a living and train 1-2 a week. Just can’t see him coping against the Aberdeen’s and Old Firm.

flash
16-07-2019, 07:48 AM
I’ve watched every preseason game on Hibs TV, I can’t see Newell making an impact at us. He’s struggled to make any sort of impact against part time players. Guys that graft for a living and train 1-2 a week. Just can’t see him coping against the Aberdeen’s and Old Firm.

I think he will be fine.

JimBHibees
16-07-2019, 07:49 AM
4 pages about a boy who has been at the club for about two minutes.

Couldn't agree more the boy is just in the door. Time to give him a break.

Barman Stanton
16-07-2019, 07:54 AM
Knowing how much young players are into social media etc, it wouldn't surprise me if players looked at forums. Imagine what this guy must be thinking if he has cast his eye on this thread.

The 90+2
16-07-2019, 08:04 AM
Knowing how much young players are into social media etc, it wouldn't surprise me if players looked at forums. Imagine what this guy must be thinking if he has cast his eye on this thread.

I’m hoping he either agrees with the initial assessment of him and knows he has to work harder or ignores it completely in the know how that it takes him a good part of pre-season to get up to speed coupled with a move of house and environment to get used to too.

Barman Stanton
16-07-2019, 08:13 AM
I’m hoping he either agrees with the initial assessment of him and knows he has to work harder or ignores it completely in the know how that it takes him a good part of pre-season to get up to speed coupled with a move of house and environment to get used to too.

I hope he has been advised to not go near any social media :faf:

All players a different though. Some thrive on criticism, others go into their shell. You just know that people are going to get on this guys back quickly at games if he doesn't perform. There was a good interview with that other famous Joe, Tortolano recently. There was times when he didn't want to enter the pitch due to the abuse he got. I never think it helps. Not saying you shout abuse by the way. But this type of thread certainly gets people into the frame of mind that the guy is s***.

The 90+2
16-07-2019, 08:23 AM
I hope he has been advised to not go near any social media :faf:

All players a different though. Some thrive on criticism, others go into their shell. You just know that people are going to get on this guys back quickly at games if he doesn't perform. There was a good interview with that other famous Joe, Tortolano recently. There was times when he didn't want to enter the pitch due to the abuse he got. I never think it helps. Not saying you shout abuse by the way. But this type of thread certainly gets people into the frame of mind that the guy is s***.

True. The advantage these days though is players at Newells age grew up through social media (msn messenger baby) and will know to ignore what they read online (I hope).

I think the lad will come good, he’s got a good pedigree and played at a good level last season - I actually think he’s meriting the most frustration because he was possibly the second most exciting we’ve made.

Barman Stanton
16-07-2019, 08:30 AM
True. The advantage these days though is players at Newells age grew up through social media (msn messenger baby) and will know to ignore what they read online (I hope).

I think the lad will come good, he’s got a good pedigree and played at a good level last season - I actually think he’s meriting the most frustration because he was possibly the second most exciting we’ve made.

Yeah fingers crossed he does well. Well over 100 games in the Championship would suggest there is a player there.

FilipinoHibs
16-07-2019, 08:49 AM

The players will have warned him about Hibs net. An ex colleague who ages with the players and friends with the Edinburgh players told me Hibs net is a source of fun amusement for them.

FilipinoHibs
16-07-2019, 08:51 AM
Yeah fingers crossed he does well. Well over 100 games in the Championship would suggest there is a player there.

PH said somewhere he needs to become more consistent. Sure the run of games is to build up his experience of the game in Scotland.

thegaffer12
16-07-2019, 09:03 AM
Didn't someone on here say Newell was blowing everyone away at HTC?

Since452
16-07-2019, 09:04 AM
Didn't someone on here say Newell was blowing everyone away at HTC?

Was that not Moon?

thegaffer12
16-07-2019, 09:05 AM
Was that not Moon?

Nah I'm sure it was before Moon was here. My memory isn't what it used to be though😅

GreenCastle
16-07-2019, 09:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0b176AbjBE

Just a reminder what he can do.

Newell isn't a Boyle with loads of pace.

He's not Barker either with loads of dribbling tricks.

He's more the creative player who can thread a ball through.

The challenge is to find a role that get's the best out of him.

Hecky said after Pars friendly...

“He can make things happen in the final third and we will keep pushing him to make that happen”
“We want him to play will real energy in his game."
“We want players like that in our side and that’s why I signed him.”

So it seems Hecky know's he may be lazy and he will have to turn this around if he is to be a success here.

Let's at least give him a few more weeks to settle :aok:

Diclonius
16-07-2019, 09:31 AM

Very few people use forums nowdays, doubt most of the youth players even know what they are. Twitter etc, fair enough.

Peevemor
16-07-2019, 09:38 AM
Very few people use forums nowdays, doubt most of the youth players even know what they are. Twitter etc, fair enough.

If people know that they risk to be talked about on the internet, then they know where to look. Whether they choose to do so is a different story.

Bostonhibby
16-07-2019, 09:43 AM

The comments about body language stuck out for me - Peterborough fans are very similar to Hibs fans in their expectations for a player (looking like you give a toss is high up on the list!) and despite him coming through the youth ranks, the fans never really took to him at all. I mentioned on a Posh forum straight after he'd signed that I hope he's grown a pair of bollocks or he'll get mauled at Tynecastle... if the Hibs fans don't get there first!Neighbours a big posh fan so mentioned it this morning. He said the boy's definitely got ability, wasn't upset when he left but if he applies himself he could really kick on.

Time needed I guess.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

ekhibee
16-07-2019, 10:28 AM

“He can make things happen in the final third and we will keep pushing him to make that happen”

So it seems Hecky know's he may be lazy and he will have to turn this around if he is to be a success here.

Well I suppose that depends if he actually is a winger? I always thought wingers were fast, he must be an exception to the rule, he doesn't seem to have much pace. So far.

Barman Stanton
16-07-2019, 11:28 AM
Well I suppose that depends if he actually is a winger? I always thought wingers were fast, he must be an exception to the rule, he doesn't seem to have much pace. So far.

John Robertson a good example of a great winger with little pace.

matty_f
16-07-2019, 11:30 AM

Please can you point out where you have been told you're not allowed an opinion that criticises a Hibs player?

BILLYHIBS
16-07-2019, 11:49 AM
Please can you point out where you have been told you're not allowed an opinion that criticises a Hibs player?

Told by a poster #95 that my posts are gash because he did not agree with my opinion even although he did not attend said game

I of course respect his opinion he is perfectly entitled to it

I have now said on a few posts now that I am happy to be proved wrong and indeed I hope that is the case time will tell

GGTTH

Brooster
16-07-2019, 11:53 AM

The players read this forum, they have a right old laugh at some of the folk who cannot find it within themselves to say anything positive despite posting multiple times on multiple threads. Experts in all things Hibs. Time for some folk to have a word and get behind the team, we are barely in to July ffs, cut the boys a bit of slack.

CapitalGreen
16-07-2019, 12:00 PM
Told by a poster #95 that my posts are gash because he did not agree with my opinion even although he did not attend said game

I have now said on a few posts now that I am happy to be proved wrong and indeed I hope that is the case time will tell

GGTTH

To be fair he was spot on in his description of your posts.

Hiber-nation
16-07-2019, 12:03 PM

GGTTH

I don't care if you're proved wrong or right, just stop typing Hibs in capital letters and I'll be happy :aok:

BILLYHIBS
16-07-2019, 12:16 PM
To be fair he was spot on in his description of your posts.

:greengrin

greenflyer
16-07-2019, 12:49 PM
Hecky knows best. The man with the plan.

"Joe Joe Super Joe"

:flag::greengrin:flag:

The_Horde
16-07-2019, 01:22 PM

He's an attacking midfielder, not a winger. He plays wide but he comes inside often. Think a young Liam Craig or Barry Robson.

craigiehibs
16-07-2019, 03:06 PM
He's an attacking midfielder, not a winger. He plays wide but he comes inside often. Think a young Liam Craig or Barry Robson.

well ive see JN's video highlights, spoken to two rotherham fans i know that go to games and listened to our managers view. i was at all the games to date and think theres a player there based on all info i have. more than happy to give him time to settle and show us what hes bringing to hfc

matty_f
16-07-2019, 03:36 PM

GGTTH

He didn’t say you weren’t allowed your opinion though. :wink:

Inconsequential
16-07-2019, 03:52 PM
Didn't someone on here say Newell was blowing everyone away at HTC? Yes quite correct it was Joe Newell. I read about this but don't think it was on here. Iirc it was from someone from within the club.

Robbo6-2
16-07-2019, 03:59 PM
Yes quite correct it was Joe Newell. I read about this but don't think it was on here. Iirc it was from someone from within the club.

I posted on here that he was supposed to be flying during training.

He will know himself he hasn't started the best but I think we should all reserve judgement until hes at least played half a dozen games and at least 90minutes!

Wakeyhibee
16-07-2019, 04:32 PM

2 mins in is that Ojo ball watching and not marking anyone ? :wink:

BILLYHIBS
16-07-2019, 04:34 PM
He didn’t say you weren’t allowed your opinion though. :wink:

Yeah !

Also had another poster that came on and said maybe forums weren’t my bag ? 😁

Opinions eh?

We move on!

The_Horde
16-07-2019, 05:14 PM
well ive see JN's video highlights, spoken to two rotherham fans i know that go to games and listened to our managers view. i was at all the games to date and think theres a player there based on all info i have. more than happy to give him time to settle and show us what hes bringing to hfc

Me too. I think folk have been looking for a fast winger that takes folks on and gets to the byline and that isn't necessarily Joe's game. He's more about picking up nice positions and whipping in crosses, getting shots off.

Obviously we won't see the fruits of that until we're dominating games more. Hopefully.

jacomo
16-07-2019, 05:59 PM

RossScott1991
16-07-2019, 07:24 PM
https://youtu.be/x0b176AbjBE

https://youtu.be/oqZYQ0i1ZFc

Here is a couple of videos of his goals and assists.

From what I have watched there a lot of his good work comes from being quite central?

Eyrie
16-07-2019, 07:59 PM

From what I have watched there a lot of his good work comes from being quite central?

Given we already have Allan and Mallan that makes Newall a strange signing, unless Heckingbottom thinks he can be a good player out wide.

The_Horde
16-07-2019, 08:10 PM
Given we already have Allan and Mallan that makes Newall a strange signing, unless Heckingbottom thinks he can be a good player out wide.

He's a different option, that's why we're also looking for a pacey winger. Think once Lewy is back you'll hopefully see more from Newell.

overdrive
16-07-2019, 08:25 PM

That’s what I thought at the Dunfermline game. As I’ve said elsewhere, he was awful when he was in position but when he was out of position either centrally or coming off the right (usually after a set piece) he looked decent

ancient hibee
16-07-2019, 08:47 PM
Hecky persisted in playing Kamberi wide left.It didn’t work(should have been McNulty as he showed at Tynecastle).He doesn’t seem to learn as it looks as if the mistake is being repeated.

jacomo
16-07-2019, 09:02 PM
He's a different option, that's why we're also looking for a pacey winger. Think once Lewy is back you'll hopefully see more from Newell.

We are perpetually looking for a pacy left sided winger.

matty_f
16-07-2019, 11:00 PM
Yeah !

Also had another poster that came on and said maybe forums weren’t my bag ? 😁

Opinions eh?

We move on!

Tarrahib
17-07-2019, 11:53 AM
Me too. I think folk have been looking for a fast winger that takes folks on and gets to the byline and that isn't necessarily Joe's game. He's more about picking up nice positions and whipping in crosses, getting shots off.

Obviously we won't see the fruits of that until we're dominating games more. Hopefully.
I was at the game on Saturday.Newell did not have the best of games but at least he was in the right place at the right time to receive passes and get on the end of the cross that he should have scored.

Forza Fred
17-07-2019, 12:06 PM
I confidently predict Newell will be MOM on Saturday against Alloa!

Tarrahib
17-07-2019, 01:44 PM
I hope your right.It will give him a bit of confidence and maybe set him up for a good career with Hibs.

I'm Spartacus
17-07-2019, 01:58 PM
I thought we had signed players to play a specific part in a system Hecky wants us to play?

Hence why DMcG wasn't an option as he was deemed to be the incorrect "fit" for his system.

I'm Spartacus
17-07-2019, 01:58 PM

You would hope so!

blackpoolhibs
17-07-2019, 02:13 PM

To be fair, I think I’m in with a shout too.

Diclonius
17-07-2019, 02:38 PM
21st September 2019
Hibernian 3-0 Hearts
Newell (8, 56, 74)

Crunchie
18-07-2019, 12:03 AM
Absolutely delighted with this guy.

The Heck has pulled a rabbit out of the hat here methinks :aok:

Bob Box Fish
26-07-2019, 08:41 PM
What a find :cb

theonlywayisup
26-07-2019, 08:42 PM
The boy is class.

MWHIBBIES
26-07-2019, 08:43 PM
Very good tonight, Ozy will be raging :greengrin

SMAXXA
26-07-2019, 08:44 PM
Boy is a player, not a work horse but he’s a talented player, takes many parts to become the sun of all. If that was him who played like Boyle when he came on he would be getting slaughtered

we are hibs
Night and day compared to his performance against Stirling where imo he didn't look all that interested. May need to step up and continue tonight's form if Boyle is knackered

Hiber-nation
Big relief to see that the boy can play a bit. Long way to go though.

Juice-Terry
26-07-2019, 08:45 PM
Great performance today.

Borderhibbie76
26-07-2019, 09:03 PM
Night and day compared to his performance against Stirling where imo he didn't look all that interested. May need to step up and continue tonight's form if Boyle is knackeredBoyle hasn't looked right to me in any of the matches tbh...wasnt great in either of the 2 home games looked well off the pace at times and pre injury tonight he constantly gave the ball away. Looked very rusty which is understandable given how long hes been out. Just hope it's not too serious for him...at least he walked off the pitch

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
26-07-2019, 09:08 PM
Very good tonight, Ozy will be raging :greengrin

I am. Furious.[emoji23]

brog
26-07-2019, 09:11 PM
Big relief to see that the boy can play a bit. Long way to go though.

Agreed! My 1st sight of him tonight & I can see how he could be frustrating but he's undoubtedly got ability. He reminded me a bit of Ally McLeod in that he seemed to do things without effort. If he's half as good as Ally We'll have a player.

Robbo6-2
26-07-2019, 09:12 PM
Good against Arbroath and played well tonight

Booked4Being-Ugly
26-07-2019, 09:12 PM
Boyle hasn't looked right to me in any of the matches tbh...wasnt great in either of the 2 home games looked well off the pace at times and pre injury tonight he constantly gave the ball away. Looked very rusty which is understandable given how long hes been out. Just hope it's not too serious for him...at least he walked off the pitch

Sent from my SM-G950F using TapatalkThis wasn’t the game to bring Boyle on with the tackles flying in, was surprised by that.

Oh, and Newell was good tonight.

bingo70
26-07-2019, 09:15 PM
This wasn’t the game to bring Boyle on with the tackles flying in, was surprised by that.

Oh, and Newell was good tonight.

Needed to get tested in the physical battles at some time.

I’m guessing all tests showed he was back at full strength so no reason why he shouldn’t get back to playing in games like that.

Musselbound
26-07-2019, 09:20 PM
I thought Newell looked one of our better performers tonight.

Golden Bear
26-07-2019, 09:29 PM
First time I've seen the new guys in action and they all looked ok to me.

ronaldo7
26-07-2019, 09:34 PM

Same.

First thoughts were that we've got a bigger stronger team who won't be bullied. I liked, Newell, and think he can be a player for us. Cultured, and if he doesn't like to mix it, others will.

JohnM1875
26-07-2019, 09:41 PM
Thought Newell was better tonight, and that is an improvement on Tuesday. Basically he's getting better each time he plays and adapts to the Scottish Game. Shock.

Really liked his pre-match interview where he openly admitted he probably underestimated the standard up here. Which to me shows he wants to improve and make an impact.

The_Horde
26-07-2019, 09:43 PM
Some left peg on him. Needs to work on getting himself the space to use it more but more than decent tonight. One of our better performers.

NadeAteMyLunch!
26-07-2019, 09:50 PM
Thought he was decent tonight but needs to show a bit more urgency at times, like near the end in the box when he should have released the ball and didn’t. Hopefully this comes as he keeps getting used to the pace of Scottish football

Lee Marvin
26-07-2019, 10:04 PM
Will get the nod over Boyle for st mirren next week. Played well tonight.

Unseen work
26-07-2019, 10:24 PM
Played really well tonight, has a really nice touch and pops up in good areas of the pitch, was good to see him score a goal (especially a tap in as shows he’s willing to get in the box)

Unlucky to not have another when he skinned 3 players before Flo taking it off him at the last moment, albeit I think he should have shot earlier.

Had another 1/2 good efforts at goal and a great cross for Flo’s disallowed goal.

Him cutting inside works especially well with Mackie overlapping.

Eyrie
26-07-2019, 10:29 PM
Mixed feelings after seeing him for the first time.

Being positive, he played very well tonight.

Being negative, he's not a winger but a midfielder playing wider than he prefers. So whilst he can do a job out there, I'm not convinced he was the right signing for a team that already has Allan and Mallan with Murray and Slivka as back up in his natural position. We should have signed a natural winger instead.

FilipinoHibs
27-07-2019, 01:51 AM

So not all duds as some have been saying?

SMAXXA
27-07-2019, 06:50 AM
Mixed feelings after seeing him for the first time.

Being positive, he played very well tonight.

Being negative, he's not a winger but a midfielder playing wider than he prefers. So whilst he can do a job out there, I'm not convinced he was the right signing for a team that already has Allan and Mallan with Murray and Slivka as back up in his natural position. We should have signed a natural winger instead.

Yet most want another CM so fail to see why he wouldn’t be seen as a right signing?

theonlywayisup
27-07-2019, 07:14 AM
The more I see him, the more I like what I see.

Pretty poor against Dunfermline, competent display against Arbroath and impressive last night.

He's got a bit of the Chris Waddle look to me. Not a winger, not a striker.

BSEJVT
27-07-2019, 07:31 AM
I thought Joe stepped it up massively last night and looked very good.

One thing that maybe did surprise me a bit was the number of different places he popped up during the game.

I suspect he will divide opinion as he is very different from Boyle & Horgan whose attributes are readily recognisable as they buzz about up and down their wings.

IMO Joe is a very tidy footballer who has a deceiving languid look to him, someone's earlier comparison with Chris Waddle but I thought very valid.

Carheenlea
27-07-2019, 07:41 AM
He’s taken a few games to settle in, but the improvement in each game by Newall has been on quite a steep upward curve. Just goes to show why Heckingbottom was as keen to get the majority of his business done early to allow the new players that time to find their feet and acquaint themselves with their teammates and the club before the league campaign starts up proper.
The squad is in pretty decent shape and all the new additions have had a pre season and a few games under their belts, so we are more than ready to get going.

Baldy Foghorn
27-07-2019, 08:14 AM
Put in some sumptious deliveries last night, looks like he is beginning to find his feet now.

Golden Bear
27-07-2019, 08:59 AM
So not all duds as some have been saying?

On last night's display, certainly not.

It must take time for incoming players to fully settle in, both on and off the park. They'll have a huge range of personal issues to deal with - family, new accommodation, getting to know the area, new teammates etc - and that's only for starters.

For these reasons, we should all cut them a bit slack and not treat each misplaced pass as if it heralds the end of our season before its even started properly.

:flag:

'Mon the Hibees!

jacomo
27-07-2019, 09:21 AM
Thought Newell was better tonight, and that is an improvement on Tuesday. Basically he's getting better each time he plays and adapts to the Scottish Game. Shock.

Really liked his pre-match interview where he openly admitted he probably underestimated the standard up here. Which to me shows he wants to improve and make an impact.

Said this before, we’ve not signed journeymen but players with some promise who have little experience of Scottish football. They are coming up against opponents who will be keen to teach them a thing or two.

There may be an element of culture shock, but if they can rise above it and show their quality our team looks promising.

Northernhibee
27-07-2019, 09:56 AM
TBF even in the Arbroath friendly there was a point he was stuck in the corner and he had two Arbroath players around him. A little bit of fancy footwork and he found himself with a yard of space. He's a good player.

Wee Effen Bee
27-07-2019, 11:08 AM
On last night's display, certainly not.

It must take time for incoming players to fully settle in, both on and off the park. They'll have a huge range of personal issues to deal with - family, new accommodation, getting to know the area, new teammates etc - and that's only for starters.

For these reasons, we should all cut them a bit slack and not treat each misplaced pass as if it heralds the end of our season before its even started properly.

:flag:

'Mon the Hibees!

Good points GB. This has to be true. Sometimes, players hit the deck running, sometimes a bedding in period is needed. I did my best not to get involved in the furores with the new players but some of the absolute nonsense on the threads was embarrassing. Then the posters complained of not having the right to disagree. Calling players rubbish or useless is not conducive to serious debating - it’s just disrespectful and mindless! Whether the new boys turn out to be effective remains to be seen - my guess is a couple will do well and a couple won’t. Just through law of averages and many years experience of playing/watching football - not through detailed analysis of the players we’ve brought in. Would be great to see all shine but, as you’ve pointed out, players have a lot of pressures to contend with.

Eyrie
27-07-2019, 04:49 PM
Yet most want another CM so fail to see why he wouldn’t be seen as a right signing?

Because the central midfielder that we still need isn't another attacking player like Newall/Allan/Mallan/Murray/Slivka but another who can do the defensive role like Vela - partly as a back up and partly for times when we need two such players on the park.

Maybe Stirling or Campbell can step up, but until they do then a proven player is the better option.

Smartie
27-07-2019, 05:29 PM
Because the central midfielder that we still need isn't another attacking player like Newall/Allan/Mallan/Murray/Slivka but another who can do the defensive role like Vela - partly as a back up and partly for times when we need two such players on the park.

Maybe Stirling or Campbell can step up, but until they do then a proven player is the better option.

I've calmed down a wee bit on this one after having seen the last 3 games.

If we needed backup for Vela, I'd almost be inclined to use Hanlon or Stevenson in there. Jackson and James have both been very impressive in their games so far, and I'm struggling to see who we leave out when it comes to the first league game.

We have a decent bit of versatility in our squad.

I'm most concerned about our depth out wide if Boyle is injured again.

Eyrie
27-07-2019, 06:05 PM
I've calmed down a wee bit on this one after having seen the last 3 games.

If we needed backup for Vela, I'd almost be inclined to use Hanlon or Stevenson in there. Jackson and James have both been very impressive in their games so far, and I'm struggling to see who we leave out when it comes to the first league game.

We have a decent bit of versatility in our squad.

I'm most concerned about our depth out wide if Boyle is injured again.

Has Hanlon ever played there for Hibs, and when was the last time Stevenson did? He's also clearly our best LB.

Agree on the Boyle point though.

Smartie
12-09-2019, 01:33 PM

I suppose you've already answered the question I have, but I'm quite interested to hear a bit more about what Newell was like at Peterborough.

Wikipedia would have it that he was POTY there one year and he has managed to play a lot of games for (and presumably hold his own for) Rotherham in both league 1 and the Championship.

I didn't see either of his horror shows against either Stirling Albion or Rangers but did see him play well against Arbroath and fine against St Mirren and he was awarded MOTM for the game against Elgin in the cup..

TBH in many ways I'm a bit taken aback by the vitriol he seems to be attracting so early in his career here. I also find it a bit odd that Hecky has booted him onto the sidelines so early on in his time at the club and that he hasn't been seen since ht at Ibrox in spite of the fact that we've struggled in every game since.

What is the the script with this guy? Is he likely to come good? What is his best position and in what formation?

Hermit Crab
12-09-2019, 02:04 PM
I suppose you've already answered the question I have, but I'm quite interested to hear a bit more about what Newell was like at Peterborough.

Wikipedia would have it that he was POTY there one year and he has managed to play a lot of games for (and presumably hold his own for) Rotherham in both league 1 and the Championship.

I didn't see either of his horror shows against either Stirling Albion or Rangers but did see him play well against Arbroath and fine against St Mirren and he was awarded MOTM for the game against Elgin in the cup..

TBH in many ways I'm a bit taken aback by the vitriol he seems to be attracting so early in his career here. I also find it a bit odd that Hecky has booted him onto the sidelines so early on in his time at the club and that he hasn't been seen since ht at Ibrox in spite of the fact that we've struggled in every game since.

What is the the script with this guy? Is he likely to come good? What is his best position and in what formation?

He just doesn't look interested when he's on the park. Lazy and ineffective.

Smartie
12-09-2019, 02:11 PM
He just doesn't look interested when he's on the park. Lazy and ineffective.

I don't think I've seen enough of him to draw conclusions and it just so happens that the games I've been at were some of his better ones.

He's not looked lazy to me and he was playing quite well when we were knocking it about quite nicely against Arbroath. There was one frustrating moment in the St Mirren game (near the edge of their box during the second half) where if he had bust a gut he might have been able to contest a 50/50. He was a bit slow off the mark and a fair old roar of disapproval went up.

His credentials (and our overall summer transfer activity) would suggest to me that he will have swallowed up a reasonable amount of our budget, and it's funny to have seen so little of him so far.

ahibby
12-09-2019, 02:16 PM
I don't think I've seen enough of him to draw conclusions and it just so happens that the games I've been at were some of his better ones.

He's not looked lazy to me and he was playing quite well when we were knocking it about quite nicely against Arbroath. There was one frustrating moment in the St Mirren game (near the edge of their box during the second half) where if he had bust a gut he might have been able to contest a 50/50. He was a bit slow off the mark and a fair old roar of disapproval went up.

His credentials (and our overall summer transfer activity) would suggest to me that he will have swallowed up a reasonable amount of our budget, and it's funny to have seen so little of him so far.
He will divide opinions. From what i have seen he is not the only new signing who wont chase everything. He has something there is a player there. But if other midfielders work harder in that engine room they will be picked before him.

snedzuk
12-09-2019, 03:29 PM

He was woeful against Stirling Albion, but in fairness to Joe Newell, during the St Mirren game he spent large chunks of the second half on the wing waving his arms about unmarked but for some reason, other Hibs players didnt want to pass to him, despite him being in some fairly large spaces with opportunities to run forward - you could see that was frustrating him.

Winston Ingram
12-09-2019, 04:54 PM

I think your being generous with your ‘fine’ rating v St Mirren. He hit the post with a header he should have scored from and put in one decent cross. Other than that he was absent.

theonlywayisup
12-09-2019, 07:45 PM
I'm convinced that there is a good player there. But, I think he needs good players around him. He's not the McGinn type player who would battle hard against all odds. He's probably playing far too safe at the moment, but it's now time for him to raise his head above the parapet and show us what he's capable of.

Posh Swanny
13-09-2019, 08:35 AM

I'd forgotten he picked up a couple of awards in 2015. All I can really say is that he was just a bit "meh". You could see he had talent but it was clear after four years that we were never going to see it and even when he left for the Championship it was still all a bit "meh". Something obviously clicked for him at Rotherham though and I hope he can find that again with Hibs.

ekhibee
13-09-2019, 09:31 AM
He has got ability, but in my eyes that makes him even more to blame as it really does look as if he couldn't care less. Regardless of whether he needs other good players around him the least he could do is try, that's what Scott Allan does IMO. Of course, I hope to be proved wrong, but if he's not playing in the position he should be playing, surely the manager has to take responsibility for that. He was playing in a higher league than the other signings (apart from Allan I suppose) and he seemed to cope just fine there, I think people do have the right to expect a lot more from him than what we've seen so far. Still early days though.

SMAXXA
13-09-2019, 02:01 PM
Had a dream last night we won 4-0 and he scored from outside the box. Mind John Mcginn was also playing, was speaking to him after the game then a went home on Ma motorbike after leaving it in his living room I had to go back for it 😂 (don’t even have a motorbike) dreams are weird 😂

PISTOL1875
13-09-2019, 09:07 PM
He was woeful against Stirling Albion, but in fairness to Joe Newell, during the St Mirren game he spent large chunks of the second half on the wing waving his arms about unmarked but for some reason, other Hibs players didnt want to pass to him, despite him being in some fairly large spaces with opportunities to run forward - you could see that was frustrating him.

Well he has to open his mouth and shout on the ball... When he on the side of the west , he never opened his mouth.. He should be demanding the ball

lord bunberry
13-09-2019, 09:34 PM
The guy obviously has plenty ability, the comments from the Rotherham fans when he left tells you that. He just strikes me as another player who has come up here from England thinking it’s going to an absolute breeze. It’s too early to write the guy off, but he needs to improve on what he’s done so far.

KSA Hibee
13-09-2019, 09:39 PM
One past signing that gets me bumping ma gums ... James Collins 😡😡😡

Unfortunately Newell with his current work rate and what seems like a laid back attitude is fast approaching the total intolerance I felt towards Collins ..... and FFS dinney get me started on Vine !!

lord bunberry
13-09-2019, 10:28 PM
One past signing that gets me bumping ma gums ... James Collins 😡😡😡

Unfortunately Newell with his current work rate and what seems like a laid back attitude is fast approaching the total intolerance I felt towards Collins ..... and FFS dinney get me started on Vine !!
Collins wasn’t great, but one thing you couldn’t fault was his work rate. He put 100% in every week, it was his lack of goals that was his problem.

Smartie
13-09-2019, 10:33 PM
Collins wasn’t great, but one thing you couldn’t fault was his work rate. He put 100% in every week, it was his lack of goals that was his problem.

You could argue he worked too hard. If he didn't have to chase about the park in an attempt to get involved and help create, and instead just focused on hanging about the box, saving his energy and concentration for the chances that came his way then he might have had more success.

tamig
13-09-2019, 11:13 PM

Absolutely. A lot of memory lapses where James Collins is concerned. Most folk look at his goals record and slag him off based on that. But the boy was a grafter and would run all day.

FilipinoHibs
13-09-2019, 11:16 PM
Absolutely. A lot of memory lapses where James Collins is concerned. Most folk look at his goals record and slag him off based on that. But the boy was a grafter and would run all day.

He worked hard. I think he suffered from the pressure heaped on him particularly from the fans and the slump we were in.