PDA

View Full Version : “Levels of fitness they’ve not known before”

Carheenlea
13-07-2019, 06:37 PM
Paul Heckingbottom made comment prior to pre season training that one big aspect would be the players being pushed towards a level of fitness they hadn’t reached before.
At half time today I expected to see evidence of this in the second period, and our full time status coupled with the new fitness regime would see us stretch away from Stirling Albion as they wilted in the sun. It was quite alarming that this wasn’t to be the case, and even without any extra attention given to fitness, we should have looked streets ahead in that regard anyway. Early days and nothing like what we would claim to be a strongest line up, but still expected better than what I viewed this afternoon.

Speedway
13-07-2019, 06:41 PM
The manager’s just saying stuff.

Jim44
13-07-2019, 06:43 PM
Paul Heckingbottom made comment prior to pre season training that one big aspect would be the players being pushed towards a level of fitness they hadn’t reached before.
At half time today I expected to see evidence of this in the second period, and our full time status coupled with the new fitness regime would see us stretch away from Stirling Albion as they wilted in the sun. It was quite alarming that this wasn’t to be the case, and even without any extra attention given to fitness, we should have looked streets ahead in that regard anyway. Early days and nothing like what we would claim to be a strongest line up, but still expected better than what I viewed this afternoon.

........ so you’re a kind of ‘happy bed-wetter’. :greengrin

coco22
13-07-2019, 06:47 PM
This quote jumped into my head during previous friendlies (2nd halves) and again today. Need to get fitter and stronger very quickly - again, this could happen when ‘things come together’! Optimistic that what PH says will come to fruition. Bloody hope so!

The_Horde
13-07-2019, 06:47 PM

Could be that they're being worked so hard during pre season that they're not as fresh as they would normally be during the matches?

The 90+2
13-07-2019, 06:48 PM
Collins said the same I’m sure as did Calderwood.

B.H.F.C
13-07-2019, 06:49 PM
Posted this quote on the match thread. Horgan, in particular, was absolutely burst at the end.

He also spoke about how we were going to press from the front and play with power. I didn’t see any evidence of that today, or in any of the friendlies. At this stage of the year it would be daft to expect everything to be perfect, but I thought the way Heckingbottom spoke we’d have a very clear way of playing. I’m not seeing it yet, at all.

Foritza
13-07-2019, 06:55 PM
........ so you’re a kind of ‘happy bed-wetter’. :greengrin

Where you there today? If so what was your opinion of how, team, Players and formation
shaped up?

H18 SFR
13-07-2019, 06:55 PM
The alarm bells are ringing a little, I really hope the guy isn't a slaver.

matty_f
13-07-2019, 06:58 PM
Surely the time to judge this will be when the season starts? Assuming that it rashes time to build up to a peak level of fitness.

Anyone that knows me will know that I’m not an expert on peak levels of fitness, so I’m happy for a fitness expert to be able to put me right and say that the work should be evident immediately.

vercol36
13-07-2019, 06:59 PM

Agreed, the ‘fitness’ statement is a worrying one. It should e fairly obvious that players at a Premiership club should be operating at a certain level of fitness

The_Horde
13-07-2019, 07:01 PM
Surely the time to judge this will be when the season starts? Assuming that it rashes time to build up to a peak level of fitness.

Anyone that knows me will know that I’m not an expert on peak levels of fitness, so I’m happy for a fitness expert to be able to put me right and say that the work should be evident immediately.

Pretty much this. They're currently smack bang in the middle of the process, there will be tired legs.

smack
13-07-2019, 07:01 PM

The season started today

B.H.F.C
13-07-2019, 07:02 PM

I kind of get where you’re coming from. But the season started today. And we were very, very lethargic against a part time side.

Scouse Hibee
13-07-2019, 07:07 PM

You hear the fitness comment far too often from new managers, they would have you believe that professional footballers at clubs with all types of fitness coaches, reputable managers, and a professional set up are as unfit as hell until they arrived, or not up to their fitness standards, it's a load of crap and said to make them sound as if their standards are at some supreme level. Utter tosh.

Foritza
13-07-2019, 07:07 PM

He will like all managers be judged on results . You can talk all you want but if the team he puts out does not perform or get results , There is only one outcome.

matty_f
13-07-2019, 07:08 PM
The season started today

The league season, unless we are expecting players to get to be found levels of fitness in just a couple weeks?

DetroitHibs
13-07-2019, 07:10 PM
We played against a bunch of part timers that train 2-3 times a week and don’t have anywhere near the facilities as us. Fitness wise we should be miles ahead of them. Didn’t show.

RossScott1991
13-07-2019, 07:11 PM
It’s more the lack of seeing the team ‘pressing’ that’s worrying. Genuinely thought this was going to be the main change and see a fit team chasing high up the pitch. But I see little change tbh

Carheenlea
13-07-2019, 07:12 PM
Where you there today? If so what was your opinion of how, team, Players and formation
shaped up?

Jim’s a friend of mine and spoke to him before I left - just a bit of friendly joshing.

Carheenlea
13-07-2019, 07:19 PM
The league season, unless we are expecting players to get to be found levels of fitness in just a couple weeks?

We played against a bunch of part timers that train 2-3 times a week and don’t have anywhere near the facilities as us. Fitness wise we should be miles ahead of them. Didn’t show.

DetroitHibs pretty much sums up the point of my OP - and others have commented on the bluster new managers give about “upping fitness levels”, but the bottom line is it shouldn’t be unreasonable to expect to see a gulf in fitness and athleticism between Hibs and Stirling Albion, even at this early stage of the season. Hopefully it will come.

Jim44
13-07-2019, 07:49 PM
shaped up?

God knows how a tongue in cheek comment prompts your unnecessary response. Lighten up, mate.

MikeyS
13-07-2019, 07:54 PM

I wasnt there today but did we really look unfit or are we just pish? Think a lot of fans seem to get these things mixed up a fair bit. Always the go to excuse when we are going through a bad spell, when the reality is we are t as foos as the opponent. Not that that should've been the issue today however.

wookie70
13-07-2019, 08:01 PM
Posted this quote on the match thread. Horgan, in particular, was absolutely burst at the end.

He also spoke about how we were going to press from the front and play with power. I didn’t see any evidence of that today, or in any of the friendlies. At this stage of the year it would be daft to expect everything to be perfect, but I thought the way Heckingbottom spoke we’d have a very clear way of playing. I’m not seeing it yet, at all.

That is my worry. It's fairly hard to even work out what formation we are playing in. Allen is way too advanced for my liking so get little of the ball and Mallan is far too far back. Horgan had every right to be burst though as he was one of the few players, for me, that got pass marks for effort. Doidge worked hard as did Campbell but the rest looked like they had rolled out of bed after a session the night before. Going through the motions is not something I pay my hard earned for. I accept we will lose and can even take that we might lump it long but most of that team today could have worked far harder. I'm clinging to the hope that they have worked so hard in pre-season they are flagging and it is all part of the masterplan. If that is the case then Newell has definitely worked the hardest in pre-season as he looked completely knackered in terms of effort and attitude. Early days yet and at least Heck has told us what the plan is. Hopefully, it works out but he is heaping pressure on himself and new signings resting half a team and not getting a result

Foritza
13-07-2019, 08:34 PM
That is my worry. It's fairly hard to even work out what formation we are playing in. Allen is way too advanced for my liking so get little of the ball and Mallan is far too far back. Horgan had every right to be burst though as he was one of the few players, for me, that got pass marks for effort. Doidge worked hard as did Campbell but the rest looked like they had rolled out of bed after a session the night before. Going through the motions is not something I pay my hard earned for. I accept we will lose and can even take that we might lump it long but most of that team today could have worked far harder. I'm clinging to the hope that they have worked so hard in pre-season they are flagging and it is all part of the masterplan. If that is the case then Newell has definitely worked the hardest in pre-season as he looked completely knackered in terms of effort and attitude. Early days yet and at least Heck has told us what the plan is. Hopefully, it works out but he is heaping pressure on himself and new signings resting half a team and not getting a result

Accurate and balanced report Nookie, Time will tell. And no my bedsheet' s are dry before any of you one liners behind your Keyboard have a rant without a valid discussion.

JohnM1875
13-07-2019, 08:37 PM

I'm actually a massive Horgan fan, but the guy is usually burst by the 60 minute mark if he starts. If he finished the game today that's an improvement!

I missed today's game but seen the rest of pre-season and I totally agree about not seeing this style of play the manager said we'd implement though.

SideBurns
13-07-2019, 08:37 PM

The season started today - it's not just about the league, this cup is one of only two we can win.

It started for Stirling Albion today too.

loanheadhibby
13-07-2019, 08:43 PM
Season started today regardless of what anyone says or thinks. Our players are professional athletes. You're not telling me that they've lost all fitness since mid May? Have they not been ticking over during their rest period? If not, why not?

The_Horde
13-07-2019, 08:45 PM
Season started today regardless of what anyone says or thinks. Our players are professional athletes. You're not telling me that they've lost all fitness since mid May? Have they not been ticking over during their rest period? If not, why not?

They've maybe not. If Heckingbottom is treating these as pre season games then it's not unusual for them to have trained this morning on top of their work this week.

That might be why they look leggy.

Here’s Lucy!
13-07-2019, 08:59 PM
shaped up?

Stirling, of course.

Here’s Lucy!
13-07-2019, 09:01 PM
God knows how a tongue in cheek comment prompts your unnecessary response. Lighten up, mate.

As usual, Jim, you are on the ball.

Well said, sir.

loanheadhibby
13-07-2019, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=The_Horde;5843851]They've maybe not. If Heckingbottom is treating these as pre season games then it's not unusual for them to have trained this morning on top of their work this week.

That might be why they look leggy.[/QUOTE

i'd be surprised if they had trained this morning and then played a game. Sports science would likely consider that as an injury risk.

The point is that it's no longer like the 70/80's when players used to get beasted on the sand dunes. These guys look after themselves all year round. Any fitness work should just be getting match sharpness.

BoomtownHibees
13-07-2019, 09:06 PM
This statement could quickly become this seasons “biggest budget ever” quote

Michael
13-07-2019, 09:09 PM
To be fair "levels of fitness they've not known before" could also mean lower levels of fitness.

Here’s Lucy!
13-07-2019, 09:24 PM
To be fair "levels of fitness they've not known before" could also mean lower levels of fitness.

Good point btw.

Probably wasn’t, but the pedant in yourself and I will see it that way. :greengrin

matty_f
13-07-2019, 11:44 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/three-things-we-learned-from-stirling-albion-1-1-hibs-1-4964405

Lee Marvin
14-07-2019, 06:42 AM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/three-things-we-learned-from-stirling-albion-1-1-hibs-1-4964405

That can't be right!? Stirling are fitter than us and they only train about 30 mins a week.

we are hibs
14-07-2019, 06:58 AM
That can't be right!? Stirling are fitter than us and they only train about 30 mins a week.

People's eyes don't lie to them. They can claim to be as fit as a fiddle but being second to a 2nd ball is what counts. Not running stats and all that nonsense. Win your own battles and be there first. We didn't do that enough.

H18 SFR
14-07-2019, 07:59 AM
Do you think we are maybe missing some thing and they're actually burnt out or over trained?

They simply are not 'flying'.

Alan62
14-07-2019, 09:09 AM
I went to the game yesterday and also went to Dunfermline last weekend. To me, the players looked very tired - which is pretty much what I expected at this point in their fitness conditioning. Of course, I would have liked them to have played better as the play was woeful at times, but, let's face it, Scotland's top teams always struggle at this time of the year. Just think about the number of occasions that we've all watched Scottish teams get knocked out of European competition by sides that they'd comfortably beat mid-season.

While I'm no expert on fitness and conditioning, you can only imagine that the process takes a bit of time and that the process involves a fairly exhausting intensity at the start. Our target will be to have the fitness levels peaking at the start of the league season. After that, it will be all about maintenance and the regime will change considerably.

While I recognise that the season has started and that yesterday was a competitive game, it's just not possible to give the players a much-needed holiday AND get the intense training done in time to start playing at peak fitness in early July.

So let's wait and see if the manager's claim is fulfilled when the league season is properly underway.

As for the guy behind me who was screaming and bawling and effing and blinding in front of his children about how embarrassing the team was yesterday, maybe you need to find something else to do on a Saturday that will reduce your personal risk of heart attack, save your children from the massive embarrassment of seeing your fat tomato face contorted with rage and spare us all from having to listen to your puerile observations.

Golden Bear
14-07-2019, 10:34 AM
In terms of fitness, I really don't know how professional football players would cope with five set professional tennis, there ain't no hiding place on a tennis court.

:rolleyes:

EI255
14-07-2019, 10:36 AM
Just glad we're not in European competition, would have been shown up and emptied early this season, based on the early pre season form.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2019, 10:44 AM
The season started today

:agree: remember the hysteria when we were losing away in the Faroe's, we either use these games as a pre season or we get fit enough before them, which is it?

And of course, we had not got enough players in when we were playing in Europe, and the side was so unbalanced it was criminal, yet funny enough, they kept winning?

I was always under the impression we could win one of two trophies, yet we are under prepared for one of them, so much so i'm sure the manager said during the week he'd done no work on systems and formations?

hibbie02
14-07-2019, 11:34 AM
I’m wondering if Hecky is working them into the ground on the training ground. We seem to have a lot of injuries already and if the players are knackered on the pitch, the fitness regime might be OTT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RossScott1991
14-07-2019, 12:34 PM

“Hibs are creating chances”

Articles like these, and the post match interviews from Cliff Pike don’t help. Watching hibs tv Cliff mentioning how they are creating many chances etc. I’d rather he question things like why team weren’t pressing etc. I was at the game and bar header from doidge in first half, we created nothing until the last 10mins. It was complete garbage from start to finish and I feel like for fans not at the game they tune into the post match interviews wanting abit more of an honest assessment

Cod Boy
14-07-2019, 12:42 PM
“Hibs are creating chances”

Articles like these, and the post match interviews from Cliff Pike don’t help. Watching hibs tv Cliff mentioning how they are creating many chances etc. I’d rather he question things like why team weren’t pressing etc. I was at the game and bar header from doidge in first half, we created nothing until the last 10mins. It was complete garbage from start to finish and I feel like for fans not at the game they tune into the post match interviews wanting abit more of an honest assessment

Sometimes I think Mr Pike is watching a different game or is scared to ask difficult questions.

RossScott1991
14-07-2019, 12:51 PM
Sometimes I think Mr Pike is watching a different game or is scared to ask difficult questions.

Indeed, I just think it should be his duty to ask more probing questions on what he has seen. But that’s why it’s hibs tv I suppose it’s complete bias. I’d be worried if anyone watching that truly thought it was decent and should have been 6 or 7 as they mention

IWasThere2016
14-07-2019, 01:03 PM
We were 1/8 with most bookies.

Yesterday's result was poor and I can't understand the defence of it.

It was a competitive game in a competition we must be looking to win.

BILLYHIBS
14-07-2019, 01:35 PM

I expect us to win it or at least get to the final

So wake up call needed at East Mains

matty_f
14-07-2019, 01:51 PM

Has anyone defended it?

1van Sprou7e
14-07-2019, 02:56 PM
I expect us to win it or at least get to the final

So wake up call needed at East Mains

You expect us to win the league cup? Why?

The 90+2
14-07-2019, 03:21 PM

We should be able to beat any side on our day.

Heisenberg
14-07-2019, 03:23 PM
We should be able to beat any side on our day.

By the same measure, any side should be able to beat us on their day as well.

DetroitHibs
14-07-2019, 04:08 PM
I think paying for the lads to have a good bevvy session and the next day off would probably work wonders.

The 90+2
14-07-2019, 04:09 PM
By the same measure, any side should be able to beat us on their day as well.

With our resources in Scottish Football that’s simply not the case.

one day maybe...
14-07-2019, 04:12 PM
Watching the men’s final at Wimbledon, now that’s fitness 😮

Keith_M
14-07-2019, 04:27 PM

When did Stirling's season start?

jacomo
14-07-2019, 05:11 PM
As others have said, it could be that the first team squad have been flogged mercilessly over the past few weeks to establish a base level of fitness that will set them up for the season.

We will only really know this as the season unfolds, but if true it would explain why the players look sluggish now.

matty_f
14-07-2019, 08:49 PM
When did Stirling's season start?

Yesterday?

Have they reached the levels of fitness they’re going to reach, or we’re going to reach? I’m not sure what your point is.

Iggy Pope
14-07-2019, 08:52 PM
Watching the men’s final at Wimbledon, now that’s fitness 😮

Here we go with this old guff. Who are they playing next week?

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 08:52 PM
He said new levels of fitness. He said nothing about ability :greengrin

Iggy Pope
14-07-2019, 08:53 PM

We always do though. Eddie Turnbull even managed it.....

JimBHibees
14-07-2019, 09:27 PM
I went to the game yesterday and also went to Dunfermline last weekend. To me, the players looked very tired - which is pretty much what I expected at this point in their fitness conditioning. Of course, I would have liked them to have played better as the play was woeful at times, but, let's face it, Scotland's top teams always struggle at this time of the year. Just think about the number of occasions that we've all watched Scottish teams get knocked out of European competition by sides that they'd comfortably beat mid-season.

While I'm no expert on fitness and conditioning, you can only imagine that the process takes a bit of time and that the process involves a fairly exhausting intensity at the start. Our target will be to have the fitness levels peaking at the start of the league season. After that, it will be all about maintenance and the regime will change considerably.

While I recognise that the season has started and that yesterday was a competitive game, it's just not possible to give the players a much-needed holiday AND get the intense training done in time to start playing at peak fitness in early July.

So let's wait and see if the manager's claim is fulfilled when the league season is properly underway.

As for the guy behind me who was screaming and bawling and effing and blinding in front of his children about how embarrassing the team was yesterday, maybe you need to find something else to do on a Saturday that will reduce your personal risk of heart attack, save your children from the massive embarrassment of seeing your fat tomato face contorted with rage and spare us all from having to listen to your puerile observations.

Good post.

Eyrie
14-07-2019, 10:08 PM

What were the tennis players doing for the last fortnight?

Or think about the Tour de France riders.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 10:17 PM

Both of them have just played 7 best of 5 sets matches in the space of 13 days. I'd say that takes a special level of fitness to achieve that.

MyJo
14-07-2019, 10:33 PM
I wasn’t at the game on Saturday but I think it’s telling that both Allan and Horgan played 90 minutes.

Usually both of them end up getting subbed by the 70th minute when they start matches so it’s good to see them putting in a full 90 minute shift

MagicSwirlingShip
15-07-2019, 06:03 AM
Its pretty clear Heck has been rotating all throughout pre season, looking to build the players fitness gradually.

I fully expect this to continue until our first SPL game. Judge the players fitness then!

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2019, 06:08 AM
Its pretty clear Heck has been rotating all throughout pre season, looking to build the players fitness gradually.

I fully expect this to continue until our first SPL game. Judge the players fitness then!

Pre season finished in Carlisle last week, we played on Saturday in one of only two competitions we have a slim chance of winning, and we were under prepared?

Why are we using these games as games to get upto fitness for a competition we have no chance of winning?

MagicSwirlingShip
15-07-2019, 06:16 AM
Pre season finished in Carlisle last week, we played on Saturday in one of only two competitions we have a slim chance of winning, and we were under prepared?

Why are we using these games as games to get upto fitness for a competition we have no chance of winning?

I hear ya.

Do the players now report for pre season earlier than they did before the change of the league cup system? As far as im aware they come back at exactly the same time.

FWIW I think we will breeze through our group, fitness levels at peak levels or not. What's important is we are firing all guns blazing on the first SPL game (in my opinion)

greenpaper55
15-07-2019, 06:35 AM
Some of the players coming up from England might have the idea that as they came from a league in England they would stroll the game up here , it looks like they have had a rude awakening ! The game in Scotland might not be of the highest level but the players sure let you know you are in a game at every level. Remember when David Murphy arrived i thought he would never make the grade and it took at least a month of first team football until we saw the real player so maybe give the new boys a break.

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2019, 06:40 AM
Some of the players coming up from England might have the idea that as they came from a league in England they would stroll the game up here , it looks like they have had a rude awakening ! The game in Scotland might not be of the highest level but the players sure let you know you are in a game at every level. Remember when David Murphy arrived i thought he would never make the grade and it took at least a month of first team football until we saw the real player so maybe give the new boys a break.

David Murphy had been injured and looked at least a stone overweight we he signed for us, these guys we've signed have all played regularly for their respective clubs last season.

The_Horde
15-07-2019, 07:00 AM

Technically it did, yes. But if you've watched any interviews with the manager recently you'll know he's decided to treat these games as part of the pre season preparations.

So we're not 100% ready, which puts is in the same boat as most other sides.

BoomtownHibees
15-07-2019, 07:52 AM
Technically it did, yes. But if you've watched any interviews with the manager recently you'll know he's decided to treat these games as part of the pre season preparations.

Surely if in the same boat as a League 2 side we should have enough quality to beat them, regardless of fitness levels

Danderhall Hibs
15-07-2019, 07:56 AM
Both of them have just played 7 best of 5 sets matches in the space of 13 days. I'd say that takes a special level of fitness to achieve that.

And a specific level of fitness that helps them peak for 4 x 2 weeks periods in the season.

No doubt they’re fit but it’s a different programme they’ll follow.

B.H.F.C
15-07-2019, 08:08 AM

Maybe Saturday will see the manager change his approach then.

I found some of his statements a bit odd. Treating meaningful cup games as ‘pre season’ isn’t for me when it leads to results and performances like Saturday.

We couldn’t even fill the bench and then you find out that he’s just decided to leave a few players behind to do some extra work at the training centre.

Onceinawhile
15-07-2019, 08:15 AM

Tbf, how Federer, Nadal and djokovic have reached their fitness levels isn't really a route open to people in a sport that is routinely drug tested.

IWasThere2016
15-07-2019, 08:26 AM
Tbf, how Federer, Nadal and djokovic have reached their fitness levels isn't really a route open to people in a sport that is routinely drug tested.

Aye, but can they do 15 hours in the pub and a great big donner kebab at 2am?!? I doubt it :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-07-2019, 08:52 AM

As BH said, treating games in one of the two trophies we have a realistic chance of winning as part of pre-season preparations isnae the way forward.

Hibiza
15-07-2019, 10:47 AM

Good one

James Stephen
15-07-2019, 11:20 AM
As BH said, treating games in one of the two trophies we have a realistic chance of winning as part of pre-season preparations isnae the way forward.

Surely it is if we qualify from our group top, and have a successful season. Both of which are still possible?

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-07-2019, 11:22 AM
Surely it is if we qualify from our group top, and have a successful season. Both of which are still possible?

If we qualify as a seed he might get away with it.

SquashedFrogg
15-07-2019, 11:27 AM

But when you factor in players at different stages of fitness, integration of new players, young players getting some game time, new players still to come in and the potential for some to leave, I'm not sure how these games can't be treated as pre-season?

It's a balancing act of doing enough to get through this stage and preparing properly for a long season ahead.

I'm honestly dumbfounded at the overreaction to a glorified bounce game.

Barman Stanton
15-07-2019, 11:49 AM
But when you factor in players at different stages of fitness, integration of new players, young players getting some game time, new players still to come in and the potential for some to leave, I'm not sure how these games can't be treated as pre-season?

It's a balancing act of doing enough to get through this stage and preparing properly for a long season ahead.

Im in the same boat as you. I know this place can be bad when things are not going well, but the overreaction to this is off the chart. We didn't even get beat.

matty_f
15-07-2019, 11:52 AM
If we qualify as a seed he might get away with it.

Well he will have gotten away with it as we’d be in exactly the same position as if we’d won on Saturday.

matty_f
15-07-2019, 11:53 AM

Same here.

we are hibs
15-07-2019, 11:56 AM
It's not a glorified bounce game it's a competitive game in a cup we should be looking to try and win.

flash
15-07-2019, 12:03 PM
It's not a glorified bounce game it's a competitive game in a cup we should be looking to try and win.

We will be trying to win it. We will qualify top of the group and go through just as we would had the players had no holiday at all and been 100% match ready on Saturday. It really isn't rocket science.

oneone73
15-07-2019, 12:11 PM
Well he will have gotten away with it as we’d be in exactly the same position as if we’d won on Saturday.

Not necessarily. We can now only get 11 points at most. The top four group winners are seeded.

matty_f
15-07-2019, 12:18 PM
Not necessarily. We can now only get 11 points at most. The top four group winners are seeded.

The post I was replying to stipulated that it was if we qualified as a seeded team.

HFC93
15-07-2019, 12:57 PM

Although not guaranteed, 11 points should be enough to secure a seeded place. Last season only two teams finished on 12.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-07-2019, 01:20 PM

Maybe that's what I should've typed.

Northernhibee
15-07-2019, 01:49 PM
With our resources in Scottish Football that’s simply not the case.

So Celtic shouldn’t be able to beat us on their day? We are a bigger club than them?

matty_f
23-07-2019, 11:04 PM
Thought it works be better bumping this thread than starting a new one.

Thought the players looked in great condition tonight, and later goals in our last two matches are a good sign that our fitness is getting there.

Wee Effen Bee
23-07-2019, 11:09 PM

Thought the players looked in great condition tonight, and later goals in our last two matches are a good sign that our fitness is getting there.

Stop trying to find positives Matty. It was only against lower league opposition...etc. 😁

Carheenlea
24-07-2019, 11:16 AM

I started the thread and have been present at all three League Cup games. Definitely a much sharper look to our play last night compared to that of the Stirling outing, and at no point did the side look like flagging. As you say, late goals a good sign and good physical fitness should also mean good mental fitness when it comes to either seeing games out or securing a late winner.

matty_f
24-07-2019, 11:31 AM
I started the thread and have been present at all three League Cup games. Definitely a much sharper look to our play last night compared to that of the Stirling outing, and at no point did the side look like flagging. As you say, late goals a good sign and good physical fitness should also mean good mental fitness when it comes to either seeing games out or securing a late winner.

:aok: I hadn't meant to bump it to be wide, just thought it was better than starting a new thread about it -I agree with you, it looks like there has been clear progress.

Carheenlea
24-07-2019, 11:34 AM
:aok: I hadn't meant to bump it to be wide, just thought it was better than starting a new thread about it -I agree with you, it looks like there has been clear progress.

I’m no way did I interpret it as trying to be wide! I’d meant to bump it up anyway to compare the last two games to the Stirling one where we didn’t really look to be any fitter than our opposition.

Wee Effen Bee
24-07-2019, 11:49 AM
I’m no way did I interpret it as trying to be wide! I’d meant to bump it up anyway to compare the last two games to the Stirling one where we didn’t really look to be any fitter than our opposition.

Get a room!:greengrin

matty_f
24-07-2019, 11:54 AM

:greengrin

worcesterhibby
24-07-2019, 12:21 PM

"Levels of man-flirting they've not known before" :greengrin

Keith_M
24-07-2019, 12:28 PM

Good to hear, Matty

:aok:

I picked my holidays for the wrong time, as per usual.