PDA

View Full Version : Hibs TV

SouthMoroccoStu
13-07-2019, 09:50 AM
Yes, I'm sorry to start a thread complaining about HibsTV

Todays game is only available on audio

They haven't been able to beam any of the preseason games or this league cup fixture for the overseas viewers

I live out of the country and HibsTV is normally a great service that I am more than happy to pay for, despite the dodgy stream feeds available online for free, as it keeps me connected with the club

But I've not been able to see any of the games live, despite full match replays and highlights available on replay. So someone is recording it!

In this modern media age this shouldn't be the case

Rant over - GGTTH

BlackSheep
13-07-2019, 09:58 AM
I agree, not sure why a stream has not been available... I’m away right now and would have loved to watch today’s game.

Brightside
13-07-2019, 09:58 AM
It’s an away game?

SlickShoes
13-07-2019, 10:07 AM
Recording it isn’t remotely the same as streaming it and if the infrastructure to stream it isn’t there then there is little they can do.

SouthMoroccoStu
13-07-2019, 10:12 AM
They show plenty of away games on hibstv

matty_f
13-07-2019, 10:15 AM
For all this thread is to complain, there are two very good interviews with Ron Gordon and Heckingbottom that have just been uploaded - worth a watch.

With regards to the match, i think they can only broadcast if the facilities are at the stadium and it’s usually the lack of those facilities that restricts them.

Brightside
13-07-2019, 10:18 AM

If that team has the facilities. Cmon guys. Are we now expecting hibs to go around with a portable live broadcast unit?!

SouthMoroccoStu
13-07-2019, 10:18 AM
For all this thread is to complain, there are two very good interviews with Ron Gordon and Heckingbottom that have just been uploaded - worth a watch.

With regards to the match, i think they can only broadcast if the facilities are at the stadium and it’s usually the lack of those facilities that restricts them.

Totally agree that the interviewer content is excellent and has improved massively in recent year

But it’s still disappointing I can’t watch the game live today

SouthMoroccoStu
13-07-2019, 10:20 AM
If that team has the facilities. Cmon guys. Are we now expecting hibs to go around with a portable live broadcast unit?!

Yes

That’s why I pay £12.99 a month

;)

Eyrie
13-07-2019, 10:30 AM
Yes

That’s why I pay £12.99 a month

;)

We haven't even got a helipad and you want us to splash on the luxury of our own portable live broadcast unit? :offski:

Centre Hawf
13-07-2019, 10:36 AM
As someone else has said, streaming games is a lot harder than some think it is. The infrastructure required to do it is something that a club like Hibs just doesn't have on hand to set up wherever they go which is why games at Easter Road are quite reliable. As far as I'm aware they rely on away games being on either TV or the away clubs own TV service to be hosted by the same company that does Hibs TV to be able to show it.

I think a time may come when the Club can do some away games on their own but I think to expect games at Arbroath and Stirling to be streamed at the moment is a fantasy.

BlackSheep
13-07-2019, 11:14 AM
Actually I work in TV and it isn’t as hard as one would think, especially a single camera feed. it just depends on what sort of quality and reliability the audience want or expect. These days with 5G available hibs potentially could be uploading a stream at a better rate than with a wired fibre connection.

I think when users are paying £12.99 per month there come a time when even a low quality feed may suffice for games such as today. At the very least goals uploaded within 5 minutes of being scored could be achieved.

Where I work we supply goal highlights to a lot of press outlets for online feeds with turn around a under 5 minutes... even this kind of facility should be explored by hibs.

I would say HibsTV should fall under the category of infrastructure and witness Ron Gordon’s background in media I would hope he passes in any knowledge he has from that experience to improve an already fantastic service.

PeeJay
13-07-2019, 11:17 AM
I think the Hibs TV service is mostly really very good and as an overseas fan I welcome every opportunity to watch the club live when possible.

Find it difficult to believe in this digital / internet age that clubs in Scotland claim they do not have the "facilities" to enable a stream to be broadcast? Last season there were even excellent "fans" streaming games live with their smartphones from some grounds with more than "acceptable" picture quality (until their batteries gave out that is) - so it has to be possible?

Still, while I understand it is a volunteer" service and accept it may well "logistically" not always be easy to get the system set up for video I can't quite believe it is not possible -

For premier league games there should surely be some sort of reciprocal arrangement with the away teams to always have the video streaming option available for overseas fans - for "underdeveloped" towns like Stirling, I guess we may need to wait until it gets hooked up to the Internet - has anyone actually told them about it yet? :greengrin

Centre Hawf
13-07-2019, 11:25 AM
Actually I work in TV and it isn’t as hard as one would think, especially a single camera feed. it just depends on what sort of quality and reliability the audience want or expect. These days with 5G available hibs potentially could be uploading a stream at a better rate than with a wired fibre connection.

I think when users are paying £12.99 per month there come a time when even a low quality feed may suffice for games such as today. At the very least goals uploaded within 5 minutes of being scored could be achieved.

Where I work we supply goal highlights to a lot of press outlets for online feeds with turn around a under 5 minutes... even this kind of facility should be explored by hibs.

I would say HibsTV should fall under the category of infrastructure and witness Ron Gordon’s background in media I would hope he passes in any knowledge he has from that experience to improve an already fantastic service.

You're right that technology is getting better to allow something like this more easily than in the past. I think the biggest issue is that football matches and phone signals can sometimes not mix very well depending on how many folk are there. Then you have to add in whether it will be able to have commentary with the video, can you set up a computer properly beside the camera to push the stream out. A lot of stadiums can barely allow for an extra camera at times let alone a set up beside it. Then you need to make sure whoever mans it is trained and I believe HTV is still volunteer ran for the most part.

It's definitely possible to do at some point but I think a few things have to happen. I won't pretend I know the prices either but I don't think Hibs TV is something that has been invested in particularly well in the past on the Clubs part and a lot is down to the company that hosts it all. As you say hopefully our new owners background will allow a bit of influence in perfecting the product. But I think some peoples expectations of it at the moment is a bit over the top.

Hibee Mac
13-07-2019, 11:46 AM
What's so hard about streaming a live picture via the internet? If fans can do it via there phones surely you can do it with a 4g connection and a slightly better camera?

End of the day you could use a mini tripod and a phone and get a reasonable result surely!

Lastly this is not a dig at Hibs TV I think it's great, more questioning people who are describing it as a very difficult task to stream a video.

HiBremian
13-07-2019, 12:47 PM
What's so hard about streaming a live picture via the internet? If fans can do it via there phones surely you can do it with a 4g connection and a slightly better camera?

End of the day you could use a mini tripod and a phone and get a reasonable result surely!

Lastly this is not a dig at Hibs TV I think it's great, more questioning people who are describing it as a very difficult task to stream a video.

Saw some cracking Periscope feeds back in the Championship days, and when UEFA banned cameras on CL nights. Watching Hibs knock the Jambos out the cup via a Jambo feed was up there for entertainment, just pipped by the Morton dude who stopped broadcasting every time security approached :greengrin

SouthMoroccoStu
13-07-2019, 01:33 PM
Saw some cracking Periscope feeds back in the Championship days, and when UEFA banned cameras on CL nights. Watching Hibs knock the Jambos out the cup via a Jambo feed was up there for entertainment, just pipped by the Morton dude who stopped broadcasting every time security approached :greengrin

The Jambo end feed for the 2016 Scottish Cup replay was brilliant

But he didn’t stay to keep filming Sunshine on Leith at the end

I messaged him to ask why but he never got back to me

SJNB Hibby
13-07-2019, 01:50 PM
No audio yet?? supposed to start 5 minutes ago

SJNB Hibby
13-07-2019, 01:51 PM
No audio yet?? supposed to start 5 minutes ago

Figured that would do it---here we go:flag:

AZhibee
13-07-2019, 03:10 PM

As others have pointed out, only info there is a broadcast they can use such as the other club’s stream or a network showing the game. This year no different than others, and unfortunate to have not played at home.

AZhibee
13-07-2019, 03:11 PM
Recording it isn’t remotely the same as streaming it and if the infrastructure to stream it isn’t there then there is little they can do.

True

AZhibee
13-07-2019, 03:13 PM

Copyright? Difference between someone filming on the down low and filming for a service that charges fees to users and is easily verifiable.

SouthMoroccoStu
13-07-2019, 03:22 PM
As others have pointed out, only info there is a broadcast they can use such as the other club’s stream or a network showing the game. This year no different than others, and unfortunate to have not played at home.

And I appreciate that AZ

But there is a pars tv and Carlisle tv (through an iFollow system) but we didn’t get a feed with them

And as others said, is it that difficult to get an internet beam system with a decent digital camera?

None of us are expecting multi angle super Sunday style coverage away to Stirling but something would have been great

Moaning but not moaning 😉

Ggtth

AZhibee
13-07-2019, 03:31 PM
And I appreciate that AZ

But there is a pars tv and Carlisle tv (through an iFollow system) but we didn’t get a feed with them

And as others said, is it that difficult to get an internet beam system with a decent digital camera?

None of us are expecting multi angle super Sunday style coverage away to Stirling but something would have been great

Moaning but not moaning 😉

Ggtth

Understood, was hoping for Dunfermline or Carlisle but figured Alloa will be my first chance to see the team.

Ggtth

SouthMoroccoStu
13-07-2019, 03:52 PM
I take it all back

Glad I didn’t see it today

Thanks hibstv 😉