PDA

View Full Version : Pubs for Saturday (Stirling Albion)

St Pauli Hibee
09-07-2019, 09:04 PM
What are the best pubs to go to on Saturday ?? Planning on getting through sharp to have a few before the game

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers
SPH

ginger_rice
10-07-2019, 09:07 AM
What are the best pubs to go to on Saturday ?? Planning on getting through sharp to have a few before the game

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers
SPH

Depends on which kind of pub you like, there's a Spoons 5 minutes from the station, also a Brew Dog almost next door, I prefer No2 Baker St right opposite Spoons, there's only one pub near Forthbank so may be an issue getting in there, mind though all of the city centre boozers are strictly no football colours and there are a load of OF wannabees around.

Leitherhibs
12-07-2019, 10:49 AM
Any pubs in Stirling that folk would recommend that aren’t spoons or brewdog?

Sean1875
12-07-2019, 11:00 AM
Any pubs in Stirling that folk would recommend that aren’t spoons or brewdog?

I was in No 2 Baker Street a few weeks ago and it was a good wee pub, old style traditional feel to it, not far from the stations too. I imagine me and my mates will be heading to Spoons though as we are a fan of the cheap beer and soul-less venue vibe :greengrin

JXM73
12-07-2019, 11:05 AM
City walls on dumbarton road, belhaven pub and great food...further away than city centre ones....sort of..

Daniel 1875
12-07-2019, 11:09 AM
Cold Beer Company on Barnton Street is 5 minutes from station, a Belhaven pub with a huge screen for sport and a decent food menu. Molly Malones is a nice medium sized Irish bar just round the corner from Cold Beer Co.

City Walls or Kilted Kangaroo are also good shouts for anyone looking for something to eat before the game.

SideBurns
12-07-2019, 02:37 PM
Depends on which kind of pub you like, there's a Spoons 5 minutes from the station, also a Brew Dog almost next door, I prefer No2 Baker St right opposite Spoons, there's only one pub near Forthbank so may be an issue getting in there, mind though all of the city centre boozers are strictly no football colours and there are a load of OF wannabees around.

Ginger, does Molly Malone's adopt the 'no football colours' policy to the best of your knowledge? Think that's where we'll be heading but the laddie will doubtless want to give his new Hibs top an airing. Was last there en route to Alloa several years ago, cannae mind whit the craic wis back then...

ginger_rice
12-07-2019, 02:49 PM
Ginger, does Molly Malone's adopt the 'no football colours' policy to the best of your knowledge? Think that's where we'll be heading but the laddie will doubtless want to give his new Hibs top an airing. Was last there en route to Alloa several years ago, cannae mind whit the craic wis back then...

I'm not too sure how strict they are, I'd take along something to cover up with just in case, I avoid Molly's when there's fitba on as it tends to be full of the lesser greens

Keith_M
12-07-2019, 02:56 PM

If it's just a kid, I can't see how anybody would complain.

Considering the fact that most dangerous fans are the ones not wearing colours, the whole concept is quite outdated.

SideBurns
12-07-2019, 04:17 PM
I'm not too sure how strict they are, I'd take along something to cover up with just in case, I avoid Molly's when there's fitba on as it tends to be full of the lesser greens

Cheers - will make sure he wears a jacket just in case there's a problem. Hopefully the lesser greens will keep oot the road while we're in town!

Juice-Terry
12-07-2019, 04:18 PM

I was told to take off my Hibs scarf when I was in there last season, so I'd definitely cover up....

vito
12-07-2019, 04:18 PM

Totally agree w everything there. It's well out the way, but the old Settle Inn on Upper Bridge Street is a good boozer for after match.

SideBurns
12-07-2019, 04:20 PM
If it's just a kid, I can't see how anybody would complain.

Considering the fact that most dangerous fans are the ones not wearing colours, the whole concept is quite outdated.
Aye, agreed. Since the early 80s, wearing colours has generally been a sign that you're not looking for bother (the exception to this rule being The Huns, about whom no positive assumptions can ever be safely made)!

Hibernia&Alba
12-07-2019, 04:22 PM

Sounds Hibs friendly. Is the Guinness good?

SideBurns
12-07-2019, 04:24 PM
I was told to take off my Hibs scarf when I was in there last season, so I'd definitely cover up....

Thanks for the advice, will defo take that on board then.

SideBurns
12-07-2019, 04:26 PM

One of the local Hibbies will be much better placed to answer that, but I would've been drinking Guinness when there a few years ago. I tend to drink the black stuff in the Irish theme bars in the assumption they must pour a lot of it!

Perd Hapley
12-07-2019, 06:04 PM

Cheapest in town and poured properly. Greene King chain pub but nothing wrong with it - lots of TVs and food is cheap.

Curly Coo, Nicky-Tams and Settle Inn amongst others are all more soulful independent places. Kilted Kangaroo is also worth a shout - good food and beers and large enough to take groups. Said this in the other thread but for food there's a top-class Neapolitan pizza bit on Friar Street called Napizza - very small but they churn out takeaways pretty quickly - and a couple of good indians as well as a burrito bit; also a quite recent and really pretty good sushi spot, and the usual restaurants/chippies/takeaways/cafes. Up by the cinema (en route to the ground from the centre) there's a Nando's, F&B, Beefeater and suchlike as well as a small but very good restaurant called Gabe's Diner. No shortage of places anyway - but for pubs you're probably indeed best sticking to the centre.

Hibernia&Alba
12-07-2019, 06:07 PM
Cheapest in town and poured properly. Greene King chain pub but nothing wrong with it - lots of TVs and food is cheap.

Curly Coo, Nicky-Tams and Settle Inn amongst others are all more soulful independent places. Kilted Kangaroo is also worth a shout - good food and beers and large enough to take groups. Said this in the other thread but for food there's a top-class Neapolitan pizza bit on Friar Street called Napizza - very small but they churn out takeaways pretty quickly - and a couple of good indians as well as a burrito bit; also a quite recent and really pretty good sushi spot, and the usual restaurants/chippies/takeaways/cafes. Up by the cinema (en route to the ground from the centre) there's a Nando's, F&B, Beefeater and suchlike as well as a small but very good restaurant called Gabe's Diner. No shortage of places anyway - but for pubs you're probably indeed best sticking to the centre.

Many thanks, mate. Think I will try the Guinness on Molly's then, and probably a bite to eat :aok:

ginger_rice
12-07-2019, 08:51 PM
Totally agree w everything there. It's well out the way, but the old Settle Inn on Upper Bridge Street is a good boozer for after match.

The Settle is probably my favourite pub in Stirling but it is a bit out of the way.

StevieHendo
12-07-2019, 09:22 PM
am guessing most pubs will be okay with Colours? The wee fella wants to come and hel no go without his Kit on

Albanian Hibs
12-07-2019, 09:27 PM
am guessing most pubs will be okay with Colours? The wee fella wants to come and hel no go without his Kit on

Guy above says no colours in most of them

StevieHendo
12-07-2019, 09:41 PM
Guy above says no colours in most of them

Ah okay sorry mised it jumper on hope its cold or he'll be a pain

Perd Hapley
12-07-2019, 09:42 PM

Most pubs will be fine with it in my experience although they tend to be more stringent on match days. It's really something that's enforced on derby nights and the like when you get folk crowding in to watch on TVs - for what is effectively a pretty low-key pre-season game I doubt you'll be asked to cover up but no harm in taking a plain jacket or jumper just in case