PDA

View Full Version : Peruvian and American Players

Austinho
09-07-2019, 09:25 AM
Who thinks we might see an influx in players from these markets in the near future? Peru made the Copa America final, and USA made the Gold Cup Final this summer, so clearly some great talent in both countries - could be an interesting one if we ended up with some sort of link.

Also, I wonder if having Emerson Hyndman had anything to do with Ron getting involved. Don’t think we’d previously had an American on board and then suddenly we have one who owns us. Could have been an extra selling point for him.

Barman Stanton
09-07-2019, 09:46 AM
Who thinks we might see an influx in players from these markets in the near future? Peru made the Copa America final, and USA made the Gold Cup Final this summer, so clearly some great talent in both countries - could be an interesting one if we ended up with some sort of link.

Also, I wonder if having Emerson Hyndman had anything to do with Ron getting involved. Don’t think we’d previously had an American on board and then suddenly we have one who owns us. Could have been an extra selling point for him.

I don't see it to be honest. Not seen anything to suggest Ron will be that kind of a hands on owner. It also looks like we are allowing Hecky to bring in the players he wants instead of only players picked by the club (I saw it suggested that Lennon didn't have any say in transfers).

FilipinoHibs
09-07-2019, 09:48 AM
I don't see it to be honest. Not seen anything to suggest Ron will be that kind of a hands on owner. It also looks like we are allowing Hecky to bring in the players he wants instead of only players picked by the club (I saw it suggested that Lennon didn't have any say in transfers).

He left Peru 50 years ago!

Barman Stanton
09-07-2019, 09:51 AM
He left Peru 50 years ago!

Indeed. But I'm not sure the relevance of that to what I said?

FilipinoHibs
09-07-2019, 09:55 AM
Indeed. But I'm not sure the relevance of that to what I said?

He is not likely then to be connected to Peruvian football. Unless of course he has a boyhood team he follows and is still in touch with and the league but think unlikely.

Barman Stanton
09-07-2019, 09:59 AM
He is not likely then to be connected to Peruvian football. Unless of course he has a boyhood team he follows and is still in touch with and the league but think unlikely.

Yeah but I said I didnt think we would go down that route anyway.

bingo70
09-07-2019, 09:59 AM

Did his media company not focus on South American football? Sure I saw a clip he was presenting a programme with his business partner.

Thought that was one of the ways they got a good share of the market over there.

FilipinoHibs
09-07-2019, 10:03 AM
Did his media company not focus on South American football? Sure I saw a clip he was presenting a programme with his business partner.

Thought that was one of the ways they got a good share of the market over there.

That might be a more fertile ground. Most top Peruvian players play in other Latin American countries or southern Europe. My Peruvian friend says the standard of the domestic league is about English League 2.

bingo70
09-07-2019, 10:07 AM
That might be a more fertile ground. Most top Peruvian players play in other Latin American countries or southern Europe. My Peruvian friend says the standard of the domestic league is about English League 2.

Heckingbottom will be all over that league then 😂

FWIW I’m not expecting an influx of players from these countries, I do think when the time comes to appoint a new manager it could become very interesting though.

FilipinoHibs
09-07-2019, 10:08 AM
Heckingbottom will be all over that league then 😂

FWIW I’m not expecting an influx of players from these countries, I do think when the time comes to appoint a new manager it could become very interesting though.

And colourful!

FilipinoHibs
09-07-2019, 10:12 AM
Heckingbottom will be all over that league then ��

I took my Peruvian friend to a derby. He thought Peruvian players would do well in Scotland. Can look after themselves and have a bit of skill. The game was the Kano and May 2-1 breaking 22 in a row. We were standing in the old East. He thought Hibs fans were crazier than anything he'd seen in South America. Yes that was some day.6

calumhibee1
09-07-2019, 10:14 AM

Was it not the opposite that was suggested? That Lennon was refusing all the players put to him and wanted to pick the players himself? Hence why we ended up with a good few ex Celtic players and players all from an agent he apparently knew well?

Barman Stanton
09-07-2019, 10:17 AM
Was it not the opposite that was suggested? That Lennon was refusing all the players put to him and wanted to pick the players himself? Hence why we ended up with a good few ex Celtic players and players all from an agent he apparently knew well?

No, Iv seen it said loads that Lennon had no control over signings. Iv no idea if that's true though.

tamig
09-07-2019, 11:51 AM
No, Iv seen it said loads that Lennon had no control over signings. Iv no idea if that's true though.

I don’t think that’s true. I know from someone well connected with the recruitment team that NL never really bought into the set-up and dismissed a lot of recommendations that were put his way. He had full control over who we ended up signing.

BILLYHIBS
09-07-2019, 11:53 AM
Wonder what Teofilo Cubillas is up to these days? :greengrin

https://youtu.be/THMHg8BYhpk

southsider
09-07-2019, 12:05 PM
If he is still going strong Billy, must be near 80 by now.

BoomtownHibees
09-07-2019, 12:08 PM
I took my Peruvian friend to a derby. He thought Peruvian players would do well in Scotland. Can look after themselves and have a bit of skill. The game was the Kano and May 2-1 breaking 22 in a row. We were standing in the old East. He thought Hibs fans were crazier than anything he'd seen in South America. Yes that was some day.6

Was the break of 22 not Gordon Hunter at Tynie?

CMurdoch
09-07-2019, 12:09 PM
If he is still going strong Billy, must be near 80 by now.

He is 70.

FilipinoHibs
09-07-2019, 12:12 PM
Was the break of 22 not Gordon Hunter at Tynie?

It could have been the 21. October 87, weekend after the great storm. Goram's second game for Hibs.

Stevie Reid
09-07-2019, 12:14 PM
It could have been the 21. October 87, weekend after the great storm. Goram's second game for Hibs.

Was definitely our first win v them in many years, but wasn't the end of 22 in a row. 17th October 1987.

EDIT: was the first time in ten years apparently? Only 17 games due to relegations of both sides I presume.

FilipinoHibs
09-07-2019, 12:16 PM
Was definitely our first win v them in many years, but wasn't the end of 22 in a row. 17th October 1987.

17 in a row and ten years without a win.

ScottB
09-07-2019, 12:17 PM
Isn’t it quite hard to sign those players if they aren’t pretty regular fixtures in their national teams?

Doesn’t seem likely, I’d suspect...

Stevie Reid
09-07-2019, 12:24 PM

I remember the game very well, was only my second derby, we had lost the first one of that season at Tynie 1-0 - mistake by Alan Rough that ultimately hastened his departure. Was a superb atmosphere that day, and Kano's winning header was a peach. Remember reading comments from Gordon Rae after the game, said the champagne was on ice in the dressing room as the players were well up for it.

jgl07
09-07-2019, 12:30 PM
Gerry Baker played for Hibs.

Broken Gnome
09-07-2019, 12:35 PM

We had a cup win in 1979 didn't we?

Stevie Reid
09-07-2019, 12:44 PM

We did, just checked. According to Wikipedia we beat them at Tynie in the league in March 1979 also.

Papers were claiming ten years in match reports

CMurdoch
09-07-2019, 12:44 PM

The free kick is still a thing of wonderment and has not diminished with time.
The strike with the outside of his right foot on the left hand side of the ball is perfectly clean and timed.
A thing of great beauty.

HoboHarry
09-07-2019, 12:46 PM

You should be soundly thrashed for even mentioning that name far less posting a video.....

Lago
09-07-2019, 12:47 PM

Nope, unlikely.

Keith_M
09-07-2019, 01:09 PM

We did indeed, my first ever game.

2-1 win and Hearts Fans fighting with police in the Dunbar End.

MyJo
09-07-2019, 01:16 PM
There might be the possibility that he has some good contacts within North and South American footballing circles due to his involvement as a broadcaster.

That might assist our scouting and recruitment team to identify available players in that market but it would still ultimately be down to the manager to decide if they are right for the squad.