PDA

View Full Version : Festival and gig peeves

Hibbyradge
07-07-2019, 05:32 PM
It does my head in when I see folk on other folk's shoulders.

I'm watching Glastonbury on catch-up and I feel angry watching the selfish ba***rds.

I don't know how I'd react if I'd paid £250 for a ticket and some cntu jumped on another cntu's shoulders and blocked my view.

I just realised that this could have been posted in the "irrational rage" thread.

Except, it's not irational. :grr:

On another note, those very high flags annoy me a bit too, but at least they serve a purpose. Do they have weights on the bottom or are they stuck in the ground?

Hibbyradge
07-07-2019, 05:50 PM
And don't get me started abou folk on other folk's shoulders holding flares.

My blood pressure wouldn't cope.

MSK
07-07-2019, 05:54 PM
And don't get me started abou folk on other folk's shoulders holding flares.

My blood pressure wouldn't cope.And the muppets who launch full pints of beer (at least I think its beer) 🤬

overdrive
07-07-2019, 06:01 PM
And the muppets who launch full pints of beer (at least I think its beer) 🤬

Most definitely piss!

Pretty Boy
07-07-2019, 07:20 PM
Why do folk hold those flags on top of about 10 tent poles?

Not really a peeve as such, I just don't see the point. 'You know what will enhance my festival experience, holding a long stick that is hard to control with a flag on the end'.

Attention seekers.

lord bunberry
07-07-2019, 07:37 PM

Not really a peeve as such, I just don't see the point. 'You know what will enhance my festival experience, holding a long stick that is hard to control with a flag on the end'.

Attention seekers.
The flag on a long pole is designed to attract the attention of the people in your group.

Pretty Boy
07-07-2019, 07:39 PM
The flag on a long pole is designed to attract the attention of the people in your group.

I'm still not sure I see the point.

If you all get split up can you not just have a designated meeting point rather than carrying a 20ft pole about?

Hibee87
07-07-2019, 07:45 PM
Most definitely piss!

I remember T in the park many moons ago and the gossip were there (if you can remember them haha) Beth Ditto the lead singer got hit with a cup of piss and said something like 'do you think that bothers me?, I am from Arkansas' que cups raining down on her for the remainder of the set 😂

Moulin Yarns
07-07-2019, 08:31 PM
Thankfully I no longer have to deal with this ****. I stopped the huge flags, pyrotechnics a crap like this once TITP moved to Strathallan.

hibbybob
07-07-2019, 10:06 PM

What if it's the guy with the flag that's lost!

Danderhall Hibs
07-07-2019, 10:51 PM
What if it's the guy with the flag that's lost!

He’s not lost - everyone knows where he is!

I thought those big flags were just an attempt to get on the telly.

Hibby70
07-07-2019, 11:02 PM
Bloody fairground rides. Not so much the rides but the awful soundtrack that accompanies them. One year at Wickerman all I could hear till about 2 am was some Dutch guy shouting over some dance music.

If folk must be flung 50 feet in the air can you do it in silence please while the rest of us listen to the music.

Smartie
07-07-2019, 11:15 PM
T in the Park having to go to Strathallan in the first place.

After many successful events at Balado, suddenly there was a hypothetical risk regarding a pipeline that ran beneath the venue leading to then having to abandon Balado.

T in the Park was brilliant, and they'd got it down to a fine art at that site.

I'm getting a bit too long in the tooth for it now, but I used to love going, and went every year.

I've had many of my favourite music watching experiences at T in the Park, going right back to seeing Oasis in the tent in Strathclyde country park as a 16 year old.

In my opinion it is badly missed.

Hibby70
07-07-2019, 11:21 PM
People talking all the way through a gig (usually at high volume). Go to Starbucks or the pub if you need to catch up.

MagicSwirlingShip
07-07-2019, 11:30 PM
I'm still not sure I see the point.

If you all get split up can you not just have a designated meeting point rather than carrying a 20ft pole about?

But then you walk to the meet up point and none of your crew are there. At least with the flags if you know all your mates are in the same stage / arena you can spot where the majority of them are almost immediately. Great when you are in a massive crowd like Glasto

MagicSwirlingShip
07-07-2019, 11:32 PM

After many successful events at Balado, suddenly there was a hypothetical risk regarding a pipeline that ran beneath the venue leading to then having to abandon Balado.

I'm getting a bit too long in the tooth for it now, but I used to love going, and went every year.

I've had many of my favourite music watching experiences at T in the Park, going right back to seeing Oasis in the tent in Strathclyde country park as a 16 year old.

The organisers were looking for a reason to abandon the Camping element of the festival and replace with what has become TRNSMT.

easty
08-07-2019, 10:04 AM

I went to TITP 13 times, but as soon as it moved from Balado I stopped going.

Moulin Yarns
08-07-2019, 11:13 AM

The oil pipe didn't even lie under the festival site, it was under an area of car park to the north of the arena.

Pete
08-07-2019, 11:15 AM
Not really a gig or festival, but parking at the SECC Hydro.

When you’ve been rinsed for DanTDM tickets and merchandise, the last thing you want to do is pay £11 for parking for a few hours...and it took just as long to get out the multi storey.

On top of that, I didn’t even need to pay as we were just waved out at the barrier. 😩

Frazerbob
08-07-2019, 01:25 PM
Not really a gig or festival, but parking at the SECC Hydro.

When you’ve been rinsed for DanTDM tickets and merchandise, the last thing you want to do is pay £11 for parking for a few hours...and it took just as long to get out the multi storey.

On top of that, I didn’t even need to pay as we were just waved out at the barrier. 😩

Park in Finnieston, loads of good bars and a 10 minute walk through the red tunnel thing to the Hydro door.

Hibs90
08-07-2019, 01:56 PM
TITP was turning into a ned fest probably due to the artists selected to play and thus trouble followed which ultimately led to the move to Strathallan. Now under the TRNSMT name the neds are more rife than ever and all these mainstream pop/dance acts have taken over.

Smartie
08-07-2019, 02:24 PM
TITP was turning into a ned fest probably due to the artists selected to play and thus trouble followed which ultimately led to the move to Strathallan. Now under the TRNSMT name the neds are more rife than ever and all these mainstream pop/dance acts have taken over.

I didn't think it was any worse at the later ones than the first ones.

The demographic of the crowd would certainly change depending on the headline acts, but the sad fact is - if you take bit of sunshine, add Scottish blood and soak it in alcohol then you are going to have a few incidents.

Kinross used to become Scotland's 6th biggest city for one weekend every year. With that will come a certain amount of expected casualties.

matty_f
08-07-2019, 04:02 PM
I didn't think it was any worse at the later ones than the first ones.

The demographic of the crowd would certainly change depending on the headline acts, but the sad fact is - if you take bit of sunshine, add Scottish blood and soak it in alcohol then you are going to have a few incidents.

Kinross used to become Scotland's 6th biggest city for one weekend every year. With that will come a certain amount of expected casualties.
It definitely got worse, the first few years at Balado there was a great atmosphere, the campsite was fine and I never saw any bother.

The last time I camped there, there were fights all over the campsite, folk stealing stuff from tents and folk totally out of it looking for fights in the main arena.

The last time I went, I had the car so had to stay sober throughout. An absolutely horrific experience being sober and seeing everything with a clear head, it don’t mind folk drinking or taking drugs, that’s what I did when I was young, but when they can’t handle it or want to go fighting, that’s too far.

grunt
08-07-2019, 04:19 PM
When you’ve been rinsed for DanTDM tickets and merchandise, the last thing you want to do is pay £11 for parking for a few hours...and it took just as long to get out the multi storey.£11?? It was £8 last time I was there. It's gone up by 37%??

Green Man
08-07-2019, 08:58 PM
I’m peeved by the Hydro itself. How can a venue designed specifically for gigs have such terrible sound?

Pete
08-07-2019, 09:40 PM
£11?? It was £8 last time I was there. It's gone up by 37%??

Afraid so 😕

Northernhibee
10-07-2019, 05:04 PM
Filming gigs on phones. People missing the experience there and then to watch it with awful sound and shaky camerawork later on.

People having conversations all the way through gigs.

People putting up little barriers with tape etc. around their group of friends tents. Soon as you leave it, I will go and take it down. Imagine having people walking past your tent at a festival that they've paid the same amount to get into as you.

Littering at festivals, especially in the campsite.

Instagram posers at festivals.

The 1975.

Having to buy tokens at festivals to get a pint. All the bars at Glastonbury are cash and it works.

People pushing to the front of the crowd when it's clear that the front is busy and the people there have been standing for ages. Arrive earlier.

The crowds that The Courteeners attract.

Geoff Ellis. An out of touch man who puts on a ***** festival.

Festival "exclusives". Want to see a touring band in Scotland in June/July? Hope they've not been signed up to TRNSMT/TITP back in the day as you're going to need to pay five times as much as a normal gig ticket to see them get 35 minutes in a 3/4 empty tent at a festival instead.

wpj
10-07-2019, 10:52 PM

Attention seekers.

Flag debate alert 😎

Mixu62
11-07-2019, 06:28 AM
Getting too old for gigs these days but one thing that always really irks me is the so-called "golden circle". You know the ring fenced area closest to the stage where the rich kids (who got in for free) go while the plebs who actually paid for tickets are kept as far away from the stage as possible.

Sweat. Now gigs tend to be warm, add in lots of movement and beer and you're gonna get some odours, but that's not what I mean. I mean the sweaty, bare-chested 8-foot tall choobs that keep bumping you in the face and clearly have hygiene issues. The kind of rank rotten 6-weeks without a shower and sleeping in a dumpster sort of stench.

Barney McGrew
11-07-2019, 07:23 AM
Festival wristbands still being worn months after the event :rolleyes:

grunt
11-07-2019, 09:54 AM
Getting too old for gigs these days … Sorry to be picky, and I don't mean this as criticism, but why do you say that you're too old for gigs at 46? I go to more gigs than ever before, and I'm a LOT older than 46. :rockin:

Frazerbob
12-07-2019, 09:04 AM
Filming gigs on phones. People missing the experience there and then to watch it with awful sound and shaky camerawork later on.

People having conversations all the way through gigs.

People putting up little barriers with tape etc. around their group of friends tents. Soon as you leave it, I will go and take it down. Imagine having people walking past your tent at a festival that they've paid the same amount to get into as you.

Littering at festivals, especially in the campsite.

Instagram posers at festivals.

The 1975.

Having to buy tokens at festivals to get a pint. All the bars at Glastonbury are cash and it works.

People pushing to the front of the crowd when it's clear that the front is busy and the people there have been standing for ages. Arrive earlier.

The crowds that The Courteeners attract.

Geoff Ellis. An out of touch man who puts on a ***** festival.

Festival "exclusives". Want to see a touring band in Scotland in June/July? Hope they've not been signed up to TRNSMT/TITP back in the day as you're going to need to pay five times as much as a normal gig ticket to see them get 35 minutes in a 3/4 empty tent at a festival instead.

Good post, especially the festival exclusivity thing. Used to frustrate the hell out of me when I ran a venue.

Disagree re the camera bit, to an extent. Folk who record the entire gig yes but I like to record a few wee clips for prosperity. It doesn’t ruin the gig and you don’t watch through the camera. Folk have hands clapping, flags, folk on shoulders, smoke bombs etc that all block the view of others far more than a wee camera for 60 seconds. I particularly enjoy rewatching them when on flights etc (usually heading to a gig).

SteveHFC
12-07-2019, 02:24 PM
The 1975.

Most overrated band of the last decade. Terrible music.

.Sean.
16-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Most overrated band of the last decade. Terrible music.

I hate them and there dismal, whiny, radio friendly guff music and there idiotic smackrat frontman. Just awful.

Northernhibee
17-07-2019, 09:55 PM
TITP/TRNSMT giving acts an unnaturally high position on the bill just cause they’re Scottish. Gerry Cinnamon is a glorified busker and in no way merits to sub headline and it does nothing for the credibility of artist or festival.

I’ve been to festivals as far afield as Barcelona and nobody else does it as far as I can see.

Frazerbob
18-07-2019, 12:41 PM
TITP/TRNSMT giving acts an unnaturally high position on the bill just cause they’re Scottish. Gerry Cinnamon is a glorified busker and in no way merits to sub headline and it does nothing for the credibility of artist or festival.

I’ve been to festivals as far afield as Barcelona and nobody else does it as far as I can see.

Yet he sells out EVERY gig in seconds and had a massive turnout at his afternoon slot last year and at IOW & Glasto. What ever you think of his talents, he is box office.

Smartie
18-07-2019, 01:25 PM

Scots have a habit of rallying behind and flocking to fellow Scots though.

If they played to empty tents and fields then I think your point would be valid.

As it is, these acts still tend to go down well in these slots at these festivals.

Northernhibee
18-07-2019, 08:02 PM
Scots have a habit of rallying behind and flocking to fellow Scots though.

If they played to empty tents and fields then I think your point would be valid.

As it is, these acts still tend to go down well in these slots at these festivals.
But that makes him a novelty act and novelty acts shouldn’t be that high up the bill.

Jones28
19-07-2019, 08:20 PM
Watching highlights of TRNSMT, what a load of ****. Just a nedfest with an awful backing track.

Moulin Yarns
19-07-2019, 08:50 PM
Watching highlights of TRNSMT, what a load of ****. Just a nedfest with an awful backing track.

I heard that the headline act for hogmanay in Princes Street Gardens is a man with a USB stick.

Mark Ronson

J-C
19-07-2019, 09:00 PM

My wife's friend was there with her daughter and said she hated it. Full of drunken neds being sick everywhere and fighting.

Jones28
19-07-2019, 09:26 PM
My wife's friend was there with her daughter and said she hated it. Full of drunken neds being sick everywhere and fighting.

Eccied teenagers getting all excited. Awful, and that’s just the musicians.

Jones28
19-07-2019, 09:26 PM
I heard that the headline act for hogmanay in Princes Street Gardens is a man with a USB stick.

Mark Ronson

**** sake, no thanks.

Northernhibee
23-07-2019, 12:23 PM
At festivals people who sit near the front with deckchairs and picnic blankets taking up the space of 10 people. They always moan if someone steps on their blanket too.

People who take signs to gigs. The artist doesn’t care and nobody behind you can see.

BarneyBreslin
23-07-2019, 06:00 PM
At festivals people who sit near the front with deckchairs and picnic blankets taking up the space of 10 people. They always moan if someone steps on their blanket too.

People who take signs to gigs. The artist doesn’t care and nobody behind you can see.

Know exactly what you mean. Thankfully my time at Glastonbury is spent away from the chair ****ers at the pyramid stage. Signs and flags can do one as well.

Frazerbob
24-07-2019, 06:21 AM
The flags on big long poles aren’t so much of an issue when you’re at the festival, they’re mostly well above your sight line. Total pain in the arse if you’re watching on Zitelli though.

Ayrshire Hibee
24-07-2019, 06:45 PM
Am going to Kendal Calling at the weekend....my 1st camping at a festival since TITP 2008 (I've done the day trip since a few times) it's my other halves 1st festival and I've started telling her what to expect....she's not looking forward to it as much now!!

Zazu62
24-07-2019, 06:49 PM
Am going to Kendal Calling at the weekend....my 1st camping at a festival since TITP 2008 (I've done the day trip since a few times) it's my other halves 1st festival and I've started telling her what to expect....she's not looking forward to it as much now!!

I’m going too, great festival. U be wearing a Hibs top haha?

Ayrshire Hibee
24-07-2019, 08:24 PM
I’m going too, great festival. U be wearing a Hibs top haha?

Last time I wore a hibs top at a festival I was hit by a pint of luke warm lager :-\

SkidS, BSP & Interpol T-Shirts for the arena....maybe a old hibs top for campsite ;-)

Zazu62
25-07-2019, 07:03 AM
Last time I wore a hibs top at a festival I was hit by a pint of luke warm lager :-\

SkidS, BSP & Interpol T-Shirts for the arena....maybe a old hibs top for campsite ;-)

I’ll look out for a Hibs top in the campsite pal

Hibby70
25-07-2019, 08:52 PM
Really good festival. Tim Peaks cafe is a good change of pace and you might catch a wee performance or two.

Ayrshire Hibee
26-07-2019, 04:43 AM
Really good festival. Tim Peaks cafe is a good change of pace and you might catch a wee performance or two.

Cheers will have a nosey ;-)

Ayrshire Hibee
26-07-2019, 04:44 AM
I’ll look out for a Hibs top in the campsite pal

No probs enjoy... GGTTH

Future17
31-07-2019, 01:47 PM
Does "Festival" in this thread title include the Edinburgh Festival and Fringe? If so, I expect I'm about to become a daily contributor. :grr: