PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham Post report on the worst hooligans ever at Villa Park

AltheHibby
07-07-2019, 05:04 PM
And it's no surprise who it is:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-rangers-football-hooligans-7899872?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE=

Keith_M
07-07-2019, 05:05 PM
Without clicking on the article, I'm going to guess it was Rangers.

Or as they called them at the time, the Marauding Huns.

Hibernia&Alba
07-07-2019, 05:07 PM
And it's no surprise who it us:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-rangers-football-hooligans-7899872?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE=

Can't take them anywhere. Was it Graeme Speirs who described them as "a permanent embarrassment and an occasional disgrace"? They cause damage everywhere they go. The way they trashed Manchester in 2008 should have resulted in a lengthy European ban.

JeMeSouviens
07-07-2019, 05:12 PM
Can't take them anywhere. Was it Graeme Speirs who described them as "a permanent embarrassment and an occasional disgrace"? They cause damage everywhere they go. The way they trashed Manchester in 2008 should have resulted in a lengthy European ban.

It was the late Herald journalist Ian Archer.

Keith_M
07-07-2019, 05:21 PM
My first experience of a game against Rangers was as a frightened 13 year old, trying to avoid bottles being thrown from the back of the old East Terracing where a large bunch of them had congregated (even though segregation was in force).

Suffering abuse from them (and Hearts Fans) frequently at games helped make me a very angry young man that eventually sought, and found, revenge by getting my retaliation in first.

A Hi-Bee
07-07-2019, 05:25 PM
And it's no surprise who it is:

This is very old news but I guess nothing much changes with the huns or newco huns to give them the correct name.

Here’s Lucy!
07-07-2019, 05:26 PM
The much vaunted term ‘**** of the Earth’ was created solely for these hideous creatures.

Since452
07-07-2019, 05:26 PM
It's inbuilt in them to act like idiots. Did Aston Villa win by any chance?

Here’s Lucy!
07-07-2019, 05:28 PM
It's inbuilt in them to act like idiots. Did Aston Villa win by any chance?

Probably.

It’s not permitted, don’t you know?

Hibernia&Alba
07-07-2019, 05:41 PM
It was the late Herald journalist Ian Archer.

Thanks, and he was spot on.

Mick O'Rourke
07-07-2019, 06:48 PM
Some older fans will recall that many parents would not let their sons and daughters go to Easter Road when the hun came to town.
Back when we had the big stadium.
They came in their droves back then and would fill the green grassy slopes of London Road loaded with "carry oots" and terrorise and abuse the natives.

Fans and the general public alike.
It was not a pretty sight.

The following link is a report on their invasion of Newcastle in 1969.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/history/newcastle-united-v-glasgow-rangers-8598301

As bad, if not worse than the Birmingham riots.
My future brother in law an masel were heading down to Leeds that Trades fortnight to visit his brother and were on the train from Waverly to York.

Sat in the buffet car and the barman we knew.
He told us to get off at Newcastle (we didnae have tickets) and catch another train because Ted Heath,Tory Leader at the time was getting on the train and the bizzies would/might be checking tickets.

So we got off and spent a few hours in the City centre.

This was just a few weeks after that game.
Fairs Cup tie, it was.

The stories we got told in the boozer about that mob wrecking the place made us wish we had stayed on the train!

On the way back to the station some local widoes followed us.

We managed to shake them off with the help of a crate of milk bottles from a shop doorway ;-)
Only to get huckled and locked up for the night.
Polis stood watching what was going on expecting us to get battered.
My brother in law took a right doing in the polis station .
I told him not to wind them up !!

And this was partly down to that mob tearing the place apart the previous month.
A few cops got a licking that night.
The city centre was described as a "war zone"
Shops and pubs smashed, the whole shebang.
Joiners and glaziers made a packet that week .

Happy Days !
I was only 17 at the time ;-)

GGTTH

green with envy
07-07-2019, 06:49 PM

The Day the huns wrecked Birmingham's was the same day we played Newcastle in a friendly down there in 1-1 draw. Fair bit of bother at that game from memory.

JeMeSouviens
07-07-2019, 08:12 PM

The next sentence in the piece was, “this country would be a better place if Rangers did not exist.”

And so say all of us!

Garymcl
07-07-2019, 08:28 PM
Remember that day in Newcastle very well just a young 18 year old never been so frightened in all my life leazes end emptied about 20 mins to go they came round to the back of our end had to run a gauntlet of geordies outside got booted and punched and then chased all the way downhill to our buses at the river side the season before that they set fire to Man Utd buses same place where our buses were parked

southsider
07-07-2019, 08:46 PM
The Day the huns wrecked Birmingham's was the same day we played Newcastle in a friendly down there in 1-1 draw. Fair bit of bother at that game from memory.

Our bus was booked to leave at midnight. The Newcastle crew were out for blood. First time I had saw a crew with no colours. We found a pub & the manageress put us in the snug and saw us ok. Only 18 at the time and got us back to the bus. Remember 2 guys in red Adidas t-****s pretending to befriending Hibs fans so they would leave the bar then get attacked.

Here’s Lucy!
07-07-2019, 09:04 PM
In summary then, Rangers were, always have been, and remain the dregs of Scottish football.

Sir David Gray
07-07-2019, 09:16 PM
Surely these west of Scotland football fans were only acting in defence of their players who were fearing for their safety at the hands of the nasty Aston Villa fans?

hfc rd
07-07-2019, 09:18 PM
Surely these west of Scotland football fans were only acting in defence of their players who were fearing for their safety at the hands of the nasty Aston Villa fans?

That’s what I thought.

Either that or exuberance

Mick O'Rourke
07-07-2019, 09:21 PM
Gary and Southsider
Yes the attitude and behaviour had changed by the time the game you refer to took place.

Mid /late sixties/early 70s .i think we played Newcastle a few times in pre season games.
Both home and away
I went down there and got on great with the local fans we teamed up with.
Although some of us "under age" we went to the The Strawberry (famous boozer) and the Blue Star Club (Brewery club like our old Tartan Club Fountainbridge)
I remember a huge Malcolm McDonald picture above the bar in the B/Star club so must have been early 70s
WE took some of their fans ,male and female to The Nash on Princes Street after having a few bevvys in Ma Scotts in Rose Street (One pub that turned a blind eye to underage drinkers at that time)

Jeez ma memory is coming back now ;-)

Goodness knows what changed by the time the game you refer too later on with the violence.

A number of former Hibernian players also plied their trade at Newcastle then too

Including John McNamee and Jim Scott.

Before Onion and Sloop went there

ionahibby
07-07-2019, 09:59 PM
I’m not backing rangers here as they are a vile lot who haven’t changed and I have been on the receiving end of their behaviour at Ibrox numerous times, it did seem pretty one sided that article. I suspect there was and still is a bit of anti Scottish sentiment down there.

Bostonhibby
07-07-2019, 10:16 PM
Even in those days the followers of the now defunct Glasgow rangers were bravely jumping in to proactively defend something or other, can't have been their players as not one was attacked then either.

Sevco fans are just as bad.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

heretoday
07-07-2019, 11:54 PM
Football hooligans. What can you do?

Smartie
08-07-2019, 12:14 AM
I’m not backing rangers here as they are a vile lot who haven’t changed and I have been on the receiving end of their behaviour at Ibrox numerous times, it did seem pretty one sided that article. I suspect there was and still is a bit of anti Scottish sentiment down there.

The anti-Scottish sentiment that exists sometimes exists with reasonable foundation.

Manchester won't easily forget the way the huns behaved there.

Man Down Under
08-07-2019, 03:03 AM
Fun fact: My dad stopped taking me to games after playing Rangers at Easter Road when I was about 9. Didn't go to another game until I was about 24.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Kojock
08-07-2019, 06:12 AM
The ironic thing is they wear Engurland tops sing GSTQ and think the folk south of the border love them.

I detest Der Hun with a passion, can still remember when I was an 11/12 year old in the early 70s being punched, kicked, spat on and verbally abused by grown men wearing Hun scarfs. Vile, horrible sub humans.

Since452
08-07-2019, 06:24 AM
Rangers, old/new whatever, should be ignored. Vile fans with prehistoric ideology. Rancid club. I used to let it get to me but now cope much better by just ignoring them. I even have the name 'Rangers' blocked on Twitter. Marvellous.

EI255
08-07-2019, 12:21 PM
My first experience of a game against Rangers was as a frightened 13 year old, trying to avoid bottles being thrown from the back of the old East Terracing where a large bunch of them had congregated (even though segregation was in force).

Suffering abuse from them (and Hearts Fans) frequently at games helped make me a very angry young man that eventually sought, and found, revenge by getting my retaliation in first.My first (and lasting impression) of the Huns was one of being spat at down ER, seeing them clutching bottles of vodka and all the "party" tunes.....

They are quite correct in their song though. No one actually does like them and I for one certainly do not care. An institution I simply cannot stand. They are vomit.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

FilipinoHibs
08-07-2019, 12:38 PM
The ironic thing is they wear Engurland tops sing GSTQ and think the folk south of the border love them.

I detest Der Hun with a passion, can still remember when I was an 11/12 year old in the early 70s being punched, kicked, spat on and verbally abused by grown men wearing Hun scarfs. Vile, horrible sub humans.

The famous fairs cup in Newcastle. A friend was at girls schooling Newcastle and they happened to wear green blazers. They were 12 years old and spat and sworn at by Rangers fans during their lunch break. It was a protestant school they went to!

Keith_M
08-07-2019, 01:17 PM

I suggest you read the quote from the Rangers Manager Jock Wallace in the article.

Baader
08-07-2019, 01:39 PM
They really are at the top table of most detestable football clubs on the planet. Second to none in that regard. Just vile.

Frank Moon
08-07-2019, 05:13 PM
Don’t remember the actual year but my Dad and I coming along Albion Road after a game we won in the 70s and a bottle hit the concrete lamppost above our head and we ended up with glass on us. My Dad still talks about it as an 85 year old!

Kojock
08-07-2019, 05:18 PM
The famous fairs cup in Newcastle. A friend was at girls schooling Newcastle and they happened to wear green blazers. They were 12 years old and spat and sworn at by Rangers fans during their lunch break. It was a protestant school they went to!

Their hatred of anything green knows no bounds. In their stupid narrow bigoted minds green = Fenian B@@@@@d

Kojock
08-07-2019, 05:27 PM
Don’t remember the actual year but my Dad and I coming along Albion Road after a game we won in the 70s and a bottle hit the concrete lamppost above our head and we ended up with glass on us. My Dad still talks about it as an 85 year old!

Reminds me when I was about 18 years old, me and my mate were walking away from ER and my dad was walking about 20 yards ahead of us minding his own business. Two Huns started pavement dancing in front of him challenging him to a square go. On seeing this I ran and punched Hun 1 square in the puss and he crumpled like a cheap suit, Hun 2 bolted without any thought for his mate. Bullies and brave in numbers comes to mind.

BILLYHIBS
08-07-2019, 10:49 PM
They were truly animals called themselves “The People!”

They truly were the **** of the earth

I remember at Hampden early seventies HIBS were winning 1-0 I think Brownlie scored it was a Scottish Cup Semi and the clock was winding down

The Rangers end blasted out “ Your gonna get your ****ing heads kicked in!”

Suddenly silence followed by a cloud of ash their end was empty

They were all around the back of the Celtic end waiting on us

Boatils bricks, cans full ay pish being grabbed by the scruff of the neck HIBS scarf up the jooks getting asked to “speak!”

I was 12 and had school in the morning my aggressor was a full grown man in his forties

I had to put oan my best parlyamo glesga by the way! a la Stanley Baxter

We had to fight our way back to our buses and trains parked and located behind The Rangers end at Mount Florida

When my parents asked how I got on at the football I smiled and said “We won!”

Tom Hart RIP
09-07-2019, 08:15 AM
Worst I saw was the semi-final of the Drybrough Cup in 1972.

The violence that night resulted in seats being put in the shed as that was the final straw.

Before that, there was no segregation and both sets of fans stood in the shed with a stairway between them, and bottles, cans full of 'liquid' darts and gold balls were thrown into the opposition fans. Both sets of fans would charge each other.

It was also common practice that whenever Celtic or Rangers went behind, their fans would invade the pitch to break up the play.

Rangers were either European Cup Winners Cup holders or had been the previous year and we hammered them 3-0 which shows the standard of Eddie Turnbull's team.

We had beaten them in the Scottish Cup semi a few months earlier in one of our finest ever performances at Hampden and would beat them a few months later in the League Cup semi.

Jock Stein's Celtic were our main rivals when I was growing up and although it was always good to beat Hearts, it was a 'given'

Kato
09-07-2019, 08:29 AM
Reminds me when I was about 18 years old, me and my mate were walking away from ER and my dad was walking about 20 yards ahead of us minding his own business. Two Huns started pavement dancing in front of him challenging him to a square go. On seeing this I ran and punched Hun 1 square in the puss and he crumpled like a cheap suit, Hun 2 bolted without any thought for his mate. Bullies and brave in numbers comes to mind.

In a nutshell, mate. That is how they operate.

Kato
09-07-2019, 08:30 AM
Worst I saw was the semi-final of the Drybrough Cup in 1972.

The violence that night resulted in seats being put in the shed as that was the final straw.

Before that, there was no segregation and both sets of fans stood in the shed with a stairway between them, and bottles, cans full of 'liquid' darts and gold balls were thrown into the opposition fans. Both sets of fans would charge each other.

It was also common practice that whenever Celtic or Rangers went behind, their fans would invade the pitch to break up the play.

Rangers were either European Cup Winners Cup holders or had been the previous year and we hammered them 3-0 which shows the standard of Eddie Turnbull's team.

We had beaten them in the Scottish Cup semi a few months earlier in one of our finest ever performances at Hampden and would beat them a few months later in the League Cup semi.

Jock Stein's Celtic were our main rivals when I was growing up and although it was always good to beat Hearts, it was a 'given'

I remember the headlines the next day about the damage caused on the trains. Smash up a choo-choo because diddums lost at football.

erin go bragh
09-07-2019, 01:28 PM
Did they not do the same at Wolves in the early 70s . The press called them Huns and they were spot on .
Horrible inbred nuckle dragging bigots .

BILLYHIBS
09-07-2019, 01:38 PM
Manchester Riot 2008 UEFA Cup Final

39 Arrests 39 police injured

https://youtu.be/5v1ARlytLPo

Smartie
09-07-2019, 01:52 PM
Manchester Riot 2008 UEFA Cup Final

39 Arrests 39 police injured

https://youtu.be/5v1ARlytLPo

Some of the stories from that day are horrendous/ hilarious.

One of my best mates from Uni said he saw a guy (a Rangers fan) standing with a crate of empty glass bottles casually hurling them into a group of other Rangers fans who could not reach him. My mate (who is from Greenock and not someone I would mess with in a hurry having seen him in action) saw what was going on, was able to reach him and booted the crap out of him.

Whilst I'm sure there were many other injuries along the way, the majority of the bother was from huns fighting each other.