PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: TOMMY BLOCK MOVES ON LOAN TO QUEEN’S PARK

RSS Bot
07-07-2019, 03:00 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/10111)

The 90+2
07-07-2019, 03:15 PM
Great move for him. Good luck.

Chefki Kuqi
07-07-2019, 03:17 PM
Excited to see how this one pans out, and whether our pal from Bognor Regis is able to find a Queens Park forum to extol the virtues of this lad.

Best of luck!

h18eeynick
07-07-2019, 03:17 PM
I am liking this new strategy by Hibs by loaning players out but still training with us. Must surely see come back as first team material in due course with proper competitive games against experienced players instead of similar type of age group apart from first teamers needing a fitness game etc in reserve type games

Iggy Pope
07-07-2019, 03:20 PM
I am liking this new strategy by Hibs by loaning players out but still training with us. Must surely see come back as first team material in due course with proper competitive games against experienced players instead of similar type of age group apart from first teamers needing a fitness game etc in reserve type games

That’s not new my friend.

J-C
07-07-2019, 03:21 PM
With Hibs pulling out of the reserve league, Heckingbottom did say they will send players on loan to get the experience, can only be a good thing.

MyJo
07-07-2019, 03:25 PM
With Hibs pulling out of the reserve league, Heckingbottom did say they will send players on loan to get the experience, can only be a good thing.

I wonder if these guys that are out on loan will also be able to play in the friendlies we organise in place of being part of the reserve league

The 90+2
07-07-2019, 03:26 PM
I wonder if these guys that are out on loan will also be able to play in the friendlies we organise in place of being part of the reserve league

Sure rangers players did last season or the season before.

Iggy Pope
07-07-2019, 03:27 PM

That’s confirmed on the link.

J-C
07-07-2019, 03:31 PM

Yep, development loans means they train at Hibs through the week and play for them at weekends, that will include any friendlies.

h18eeynick
07-07-2019, 03:32 PM
What i meant Iggy Pope is that we previously kept most of the younger players for the development team with a couple going out on loan. I think, and hope , that more of them will go out on full loans not having regular development games. I might be wrong but playing against experienced players must help them improve.

heretoday
07-07-2019, 03:38 PM
There's only one Tommy Block.

Speedway
07-07-2019, 04:06 PM
He’s joined Queens Park do do doodoo doodoo

Hibernian32
07-07-2019, 04:15 PM
Obviously I have no issue with him training with us what so ever, but from a QP point of view how does that work he can't really gel into a team. Obviously over the course of a season he will but just seeing the lad for a couple hours on a Saturday isn't what id be looking for.

I know this isn't a new thing it's happened for years but it's always struck me as bit of a odd situation, you wonder what players sitting on the bench busting a gut in training all week working as a joiner full time will be thinking

04Sauzee
07-07-2019, 04:17 PM
Obviously I have no issue with him training with us what so ever, but from a QP point of view how does that work he can't really gel into a team. Obviously over the course of a season he will but just seeing the lad for a couple hours on a Saturday isn't what id be looking for.

I know this isn't a new thing it's happened for years but it's always struck me as bit of a odd situation, you wonder what players sitting on the bench busting a gut in training all week working as a joiner full time will be thinking
Pretty sure Queens Park are part time, he will train and play with them part time, and will still be able to train with us and play in development friendlies

tamig
07-07-2019, 04:19 PM

Is he not likely to be training two nights or whatever a week with them too?

brog
07-07-2019, 05:47 PM

It's certainly a good strategy but it's not new. Been happening for many years.

Forza Fred
08-07-2019, 04:35 AM
Pretty sure Queens Park are part time, he will train and play with them part time, and will still be able to train with us and play in development friendlies

Pretty sure Queens Park are amateur.....or at least they were and as far as I know haven’t changed.

Hamish
08-07-2019, 09:03 AM
Pretty sure Queens Park are amateur.....or at least they were and as far as I know haven’t changed.

They are having a meeting later this month to discuss whether they stay amateur FF.

One Day Soon
08-07-2019, 09:37 AM
I'd really like Tommy to make it as a pro with us. He seems an honest, hard working lad with no pretensions who wants to give it his all. Hopefully the Game time this will get him can help him progress.

GraysShinyBonce
08-07-2019, 10:36 AM

All the players that are out on loan will train with the part-time teams e.g tuesday and thursday nights and with Hibs during the daytime. It really is the best of both worlds, still training full time as such but playing first team football for a lower league club.

tamig
08-07-2019, 12:08 PM

Whats the relevance of them being amateur or not? They are still part-time.

SquashedFrogg
08-07-2019, 12:31 PM

I'm guessing there might be subtle differences between in terms of the overall approach and mindset of a club between amateur and part-time? Although recognise it's not really an issue for Block if he will still be actively involved at HTC and in dev games..

Forza Fred
08-07-2019, 12:45 PM

The term ‘part time’ has to me at least, indicated over many years that the players are part time professionals..ie paid for playing but with other jobs, as opposed to full time professionals, like Hibs.

Amateurs, are players who are neither, and do not get paid for playing, as Queens Park players have been for many years.

h18eeynick
08-07-2019, 12:49 PM
The age that kids are signed up nowadays means that they go through their early football lifes not really seeing the true side of amateur and pub league football that a lot if us did. It might help them to appreciate the desire these part time players have to wear the jersey after a hard day / week at work. I played East of Scotland league and was really annoyed when cash started to be paid out as I always felt that playing for your local team was enough. I spent most of that time at Selkirk and it saddens me that they went bust and no longer there. And yes I was centre forward in the 20 nil drubbing in the Scottish Cup by Stirling Albion !!

Carheenlea
08-07-2019, 04:56 PM
They are having a meeting later this month to discuss whether they stay amateur FF.

They finished 7th in League Two last season, and with their status as Scotland’s oldest club there is a bit of concern about the added threat of losing their Scottish League place with the pyramid system. The feeling might be that turning professional will help them in that respect. I don’t think anyone would wish to see a historical club like Queens Park disappear from the SFL.

offshorehibby
08-07-2019, 05:10 PM

Sure I read recently, that's why they're having the meeting to discuss whether to stay amateur or go to a more semi professional status, still remaining part time.

As amateurs they find it hard to keep hold of players, who, if they move to a semi pro part time team will likely get paid (all be it not a lot).

SMAXXA
08-07-2019, 05:13 PM
All the players that are out on loan will train with the part-time teams e.g tuesday and thursday nights and with Hibs during the daytime. It really is the best of both worlds, still training full time as such but playing first team football for a lower league club.

Not strictly true, it’s down to the agreement reached with the parent club. I signed a guy on loan from rangers a couple of years back he only trained with us once a week as he trained full time with them.

Tarrahib
08-07-2019, 05:20 PM
Tommy Block can't play football for an amateur team.As he is drawing a wage from Hibs I assume Queens Park are now professional or are going to be very soon.

weecounty hibby
08-07-2019, 05:22 PM
Tommy Block can't play football for an amateur team.As he is drawing a wage from Hibs I assume Queens Park are now professional or are going to be very soon.
I don't think you're right. They choose to be an amateur team in a professional league. They can if they wish field professionals and indeed could be professional if they wanted to be. They are currently thinking about stopping the amateur status

Iggy Pope
08-07-2019, 05:34 PM
They finished 7th in League Two last season, and with their status as Scotland’s oldest club there is a bit of concern about the added threat of losing their Scottish League place with the pyramid system. The feeling might be that turning professional will help them in that respect. I don’t think anyone would wish to see a historical club like Queens Park disappear from the SFL.

Certainly not. I don’t want to see any of our clubs disappear if I’m honest.

Lancs Harp
08-07-2019, 05:42 PM

Queens Park remain amateur. They arent paying Tommy we are. Thats the key not the fact someone else is paying him. Queens Park are currently amateur in respect that they dont pay people to play for them

hibbyfraelibby
08-07-2019, 05:58 PM
Queens Park , like Hibs, play in the SPFL, albeit at a lower level. The P in SPFL stands for Professional. They can be cheapskates and not pay their players if they like but they p(l)ay in a professional league.

offshorehibby
08-07-2019, 06:14 PM
Queens Park , like Hibs, play in the SPFL, albeit at a lower level. The P in SPFL stands for Professional. They can be cheapskates and not pay their players if they like but they p(l)ay in a professional league.

Don't think they skin flints really, they've just chosen to play as amateurs for their 152 year history.

tamig
08-07-2019, 06:15 PM

Thats not correct. They’re still amateur and he can play for them on loan. He’s paid by us.

tamig
08-07-2019, 06:20 PM
The term ‘part time’ has to me at least, indicated over many years that the players are part time professionals..ie paid for playing but with other jobs, as opposed to full time professionals, like Hibs.

Amateurs, are players who are neither, and do not get paid for playing, as Queens Park players have been for many years.

Its maybe Oz terminology. They’re a part-time senior football club but unlike every other senior club in the four Scottish leagues their players aren’t paid. The part-time status relates to how much time is spent on their football activities at the club, i.e., they’re not doing it every day.

Iggy Pope
08-07-2019, 06:21 PM

Our own club were once amateur of course. Money was the end of that particular incarnation of us.

Haymaker
08-07-2019, 07:47 PM
Don't think they skin flints really, they've just chosen to play as amateurs for their 152 year history.

Correct, like Corinthian casuals in England.

Is It On....
08-07-2019, 08:00 PM
Excited to see how this one pans out, and whether our pal from Bognor Regis is able to find a Queens Park forum to extol the virtues of this lad.

Best of luck!

Queens Park took a Sellick "reject" a few years back. Apparently he now plays left back for Liverpool..let's hope Tommy shows similar promise 🙂

G15 Hibs
08-07-2019, 08:17 PM
It used to be the case that Queen's Park were wholly amateur, to the extent that they wouldn't field anyone who had played any sport professionally and the management team wasn't paid either. That changed, I think, in the 90s when they started paying the manager a wage and they changed the club constitution so they could sign ex-professionals (although they wouldn't pay them). Subsequently they started to take loan signings from professional teams, so they were in effect fielding players who were professionals but being paid by another club (like the situation with Tommy Block). Some would suggest that they stopped being amateurs in the genuine sense then.

There is a very strong chance that they will turn fully professional in the next year for the reasons given in other posts above and because they will be moving out of Hampden at the end of this season. That means a loss of income and an attraction for signing players. Young players can currently leave QP for no recompense as they can't offer professional contracts (see the boy Bradley who has signed for Hibs). So turning professional is partly about an alternative source of income, given the previous success of the youth system.

Hibs have loaned QP David Gold and Jamie Gullan in recent years.

Forza Fred
08-07-2019, 08:23 PM
Its maybe Oz terminology. They’re a part-time senior football club but unlike every other senior club in the four Scottish leagues their players aren’t paid. The part-time status relates to how much time is spent on their football activities at the club, i.e., they’re not doing it every day.

If that is your definition of the term ‘part time’ then fair enough.

Mine is slightly different, but nothing to do with different countries defining it differently, it is a pure Scottish definition I grew up with.

Not going to get into a game of ‘my definition is better than your definition’ as to be honest it doesn’t really matter.

Greenfly
09-07-2019, 09:36 PM

It's not relevant to this situation. QP do pay full-time staff but not players. It's been that way for many years. Most of the players hold down full-time jobs somewhere. So long as QP aren't paying the players they are still playing "the game for the game's sake", as their own motto puts it. Whether a player is paid by a local plumber firm, by NASA or by Hibs isn't an issue so long as none of them are paid by Queen's.

The 90+2
10-07-2019, 10:46 AM
Isn’t QP staying amateurs something to do with them playing at Hampden that they need to stay that way?

G15 Hibs
11-07-2019, 08:56 AM
Isn’t QP staying amateurs something to do with them playing at Hampden that they need to stay that way?

In a word, no.

QP currently own Hampden, which is why they play there. There are no conditions tied to owning Hampden which mean they have to stay amateur. They could have turned professional at any time over the last 116 years that the current Hampden has existed and still owned it and played there.

The current talk of turning professional is due to the change in financial circumstances with the impending sale of Hampden to the SFA (and QP moving to Lesser Hampden) but not a condition of it.

They have remained amateur because the members, who own the club, want them to.

Mikey
13-07-2019, 04:12 PM
Tommy played the full game in their 0-0 draw with Hamilton and scored the winning penalty in the shoot out.

EVENTUALLY
13-07-2019, 04:31 PM
Tommy played the full game in their 0-0 draw with Hamilton and scored the winning penalty in the shoot out.
Great news. Well played young man.

The 90+2
13-07-2019, 05:13 PM
In a word, no.

QP currently own Hampden, which is why they play there. There are no conditions tied to owning Hampden which mean they have to stay amateur. They could have turned professional at any time over the last 116 years that the current Hampden has existed and still owned it and played there.

The current talk of turning professional is due to the change in financial circumstances with the impending sale of Hampden to the SFA (and QP moving to Lesser Hampden) but not a condition of it.

They have remained amateur because the members, who own the club, want them to.

I thought the sfa just bought Hampden? They aren’t the owners.

G15 Hibs
16-07-2019, 01:44 PM
I thought the sfa just bought Hampden? They aren’t the owners.

The SFA don't become the owners of Hampden until after Euro 2020. Queen's Park still own it just now.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-scotland-hampden/scottish-fa-seals-deal-to-purchase-hampden-park-idUKKCN1TK1ZF