PDA

View Full Version : JD Sport at the airport

Lendo
06-07-2019, 09:15 AM
Not a single Hibs strip (no Hearts also to be fair). Only selling Celtic strips and a few EPL.

Shirley it’s not just me that finds it strange the airport doesn’t stock the city’s two biggest teams. Am I missing somewhere here?

SON OF PADDY
06-07-2019, 09:29 AM
Always thought that you can only buy Hibs merchandise at the Hibs shop or online,could be wrong mind?

DTS
06-07-2019, 09:40 AM
Not a single Hibs strip (no Hearts also to be fair). Only selling Celtic strips and a few EPL.

Shirley it’s not just me that finds it strange the airport doesn’t stock the city’s two biggest teams. Am I missing somewhere here?

Hibs don’t sub-contract any merchandise, only place to buy it is hibs shop and online

SideBurns
06-07-2019, 09:41 AM
It's been long time since you could buy the strip from anywhere bar the club shop! When I was growing up, there'd be about half a dozen sports shops in toon selling loadsy strips, including Hibs.

jacomo
06-07-2019, 09:43 AM
Hibs don’t sub-contract any merchandise, only place to buy it is hibs shop and online

Doesn’t matter.

We own this city and I expect Ron to get it sorted.

EI255
06-07-2019, 09:44 AM
JD just sell overpriced rubbish (inc the 2 Weeg strips), l always swerve the shop, inc the one at the airport.

Cocaine&Caviar
06-07-2019, 09:51 AM

First time at the airport?

Hibee87
06-07-2019, 10:04 AM
Sure it was brought up on here before, but I've never understood why there is not a sort 'Edinburgh' sport shop in town selling Hibs, Hearts, Edinburgh rugby, Spartans etc tops and merch.

mutley
06-07-2019, 10:08 AM
About 30 yrs ago, I bought a Hibs shirt in Thompson Sports in Dalkeith, but now I think they can only be bought from Hibs Shop/ online store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cocaine&Caviar
06-07-2019, 10:08 AM
Sure it was brought up on here before, but I've never understood why there is not a sort 'Edinburgh' sport shop in town selling Hibs, Hearts, Edinburgh rugby, Spartans etc tops and merch.

It would stop footfall going to their respective club stores, not enough demand to justify both

SteveHFC
06-07-2019, 10:11 AM
About 30 yrs ago, I bought a Hibs shirt in Thompson Sports in Dalkeith, but now I think they can only be bought from Hibs Shop/ online store.

Bought a few hibs shirts out of there myself. Shame that isn’t there anymore.

Hibee87
06-07-2019, 10:16 AM
It would stop footfall going to their respective club stores, not enough demand to justify both

Would it though? I'm no business man so you could be right, but how many tourists visit Edinburgh a year? A million or 2? I imagine most wouldn't be near either Hibs or hearts shops.
If the club's had some agreement to sell in bulk at a lower rate to a shop on the basis they couldn't undercut us then it could work. And if you include rugby, Scotland tops FB and rugby and some of the other teams it might just work, no? Having them also sell tickets may also encourage some tourists to take in a match as well

Cocaine&Caviar
06-07-2019, 10:18 AM
Would it though? I'm no business man so you could be right, but how many tourists visit Edinburgh a year? A million or 2? I imagine most wouldn't be near either Hibs or hearts shops.
If the club's had some agreement to sell in bulk at a lower rate to a shop on the basis they couldn't undercut us then it could work. And if you include rugby, Scotland tops FB and rugby and some of the other teams it might just work, no? Having them also sell tickets may also encourage some tourists to take in a match as well

I think youre underestimating tourist demand for buying £50 - £70 replica shirts, particularly when you have the cheap tat shops selling fake immitatio rubbish

Lendo
06-07-2019, 10:28 AM
Well I think I’ve received a fairly comprehensive answer. Hadn’t appreciated we only sell via the club store and website. Flights delayed and I’m struggling for stuff to do other than drink, so a quick look in JD sports passed 23 seconds.

Cocaine&Caviar
06-07-2019, 10:32 AM
Well I think I’ve received a fairly comprehensive answer. Hadn’t appreciated we only sell via the club store and website. Flights delayed and I’m struggling for stuff to do other than drink, so a quick look in JD sports passed 23 seconds.

Grab a seat at the (overpriced) weatherspoons and send out your table number...

beensaidbefore
06-07-2019, 10:38 AM

How many tourists are going the club shop for a gander. Very few i suspect. Apart from folk attending matches i cant imagine there is a lot of passing trade. Its hardky the most accessible of shops.

Stupid that we are not promoting the brand more in town, especially during the festival.

zitelli62
06-07-2019, 10:43 AM
Thomson sports forgot about them great sports shop bought lots of stuff from them over the years went for interview with them when I was 16 manager said dont phone us well phone you still waiting on call 40 years later but great shop also leith athletics used to get Scotland tickets there.

hibs#1
06-07-2019, 10:49 AM
You used to be able to Hibs tops and some other stuff out the sports direct in Stirling. Not any more though.

hibbyfraelibby
06-07-2019, 11:00 AM
You frequent JD Sports then you are not worthy of the title of Lochend Spoonburner...

Green_one
06-07-2019, 02:19 PM
You frequent JD Sports then you are not worthy of the title of Lochend Spoonburner...

Pub in Argyle wondering what I am laughing at. Wife even more mystified despite seeing text

GreenCastle
06-07-2019, 02:24 PM
Hibs need to change this - surely it can’t be that hard to put a few strips in the city centre and airport ?

Small team mentality selling at own shop only.

nonshinyfinish
06-07-2019, 02:32 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProI tried to buy a Hibs top in there recently, no luck. Did get a meatball sub mind.

Scottie
06-07-2019, 02:34 PM
Hibs need to change this - surely it can’t be that hard to put a few strips in the city centre and airport ?

:agree:

TrinityHibs
06-07-2019, 03:38 PM

I saw that yesterday it was celtc and Liverpool on display.

Phil MaGlass
06-07-2019, 03:48 PM

Exactly. Some Dutch mates of mine were looking for Hibs merchandise at Edi airport and none to be found. Disappointing.

hibbydog
06-07-2019, 03:52 PM

Similar memories myself, Those were the days sir.

weecounty hibby
06-07-2019, 03:56 PM
Exactly. Some Dutch mates of mine were looking for Hibs merchandise at Edi airport and none to be found. Disappointing.

I'm not sure if it would be cost effective. The airport shops costs per square metre will be astronomical and we would need to sell loads just to break even. A shop in the town centre would probably be the same. Perhaps a pop up shop during the festival might work better

Michael
06-07-2019, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure if it would be cost effective. The airport shops costs per square metre will be astronomical and we would need to sell loads just to break even. A shop in the town centre would probably be the same. Perhaps a pop up shop during the festival might work better

I think we just need an agreement with an existing shop to stock some Hibs tops. Doesn't seem unreasonable.

Mon Dieu4
06-07-2019, 04:39 PM

Im with you, was always of the opinion that there should be a shop at the airport and at Princes Street, when I'm abroad if I see a cool green and white strip I will normally buy it, I think it's a market that we have really never tapped onto considering the footfall edinburgh gets

Hibee87
06-07-2019, 05:12 PM
Im with you, was always of the opinion that there should be a shop at the airport and at Princes Street, when I'm abroad if I see a cool green and white strip I will normally buy it, I think it's a market that we have really never tapped onto considering the footfall edinburgh gets

How you doing mate, still involved with the bank? Get me in touch about a business loan and we could make this business plan a reality 😂

Here’s Lucy!
06-07-2019, 05:14 PM
Having a JD Sports at the airport will only serve to make it even easier to spot the jakeys going off on holiday.

:greengrin

Wembley67
06-07-2019, 05:37 PM
The overheads to get an outlet at the airport is eyewatering, I can't recall the price but along with the waiting list it's money that even combined the Edinburgh clubs could ill afford to spend.

But now things may change 😁

Clarence
06-07-2019, 05:51 PM
In the age of “pop up” shops, I’m surprised we don’t see the Edinburgh clubs trialling a temporary retail space in the city centre during the festival. We could get somewhere down the Cowgate beside where we were born. Would be a good way of promoting the Hibernian Community work. We Are All Hibs, mind.

Mon Dieu4
06-07-2019, 05:54 PM
How you doing mate, still involved with the bank? Get me in touch about a business loan and we could make this business plan a reality 😂

All good here bud, aye still at the bank but they hate my ideas haha

NAE NOOKIE
06-07-2019, 08:06 PM
Why are you even surprised mate … Sports Direct have quite a big store in Galashiels and its exactly the same … If it wasn't for the Celtic and Sevco pish they sell you wouldn't even know you were in a sports shop in Scotland.

LancashireHibby
06-07-2019, 08:10 PM
I think we just need an agreement with an existing shop to stock some Hibs tops. Doesn't seem unreasonable.
The mark up on replica shirts is surprisingly tight. Generally about £25 cost per shirt, so either the shop in question buys them from Hibs for £30 and we only make a fiver with the shop making a further £15 or so, so much less than we’d get directly via the shop. Plus giving up exclusivity would mean said shop would simply go straight to the supplier for a better deal and Hibs wouldn’t get anything at all.

As much as I see the value in this kind of thing from a visibility point of view, it doesn’t really add up on the whole. A pop-up shop during the festival - possibly shared with Hearts and Edinburgh RU - to concentrate on selling match tickets and a small amount of directly-sourced merchandise would certainly be something worth exploring.

Sweet Left Peg
06-07-2019, 08:30 PM
Can the club shop not branch out and have a sister shop in the airport? Enormous exposure across the world with tourists coming to the city. I'd be surprised if we didn't see this kind of marketing in the future now with our new ownership. We'd be mad not to.

The 90+2
06-07-2019, 08:39 PM
It would be nice to have an outlet on the Tram line when it’s built down the walk. Sure hearts tried it and was a **** tip in St James.

The Green Goblin
06-07-2019, 08:53 PM

Weren’t we discussing a combined airport shop with the yams recently? Or did I imagine that??

Here’s Lucy!
06-07-2019, 09:07 PM
It would be nice to have an outlet on the Tram line when it’s built down the walk. Sure hearts tried it and was a **** tip in St James.

Aye, just at the old bus station entrance to the St. James Centre (what’s now called poncey Mulberry Walk).

Wasn’t really a ‘tip’ though, just a wee yam shop that didnae take off.

How, out of interest, was it a ****tip?

The 90+2
06-07-2019, 09:21 PM
Aye, just at the old bus station entrance to the St. James Centre (what’s now called poncey Mulberry Walk).

It was full of hearts **** and had a banner on the window saying “cash payments only” hope that’s enough.

The 90+2
06-07-2019, 09:23 PM
Weren’t we discussing a combined airport shop with the yams recently? Or did I imagine that??

Big Ron to go into partnership with golf company to do half and half them instead while selling the best of Edin Mill also? Sure others must have noticed the only advertising in place during the stadium interviews this week?

Here’s Lucy!
06-07-2019, 09:25 PM
It was full of hearts **** and had a banner on the window saying “cash payments only” hope that’s enough.

Christ, you been on the ‘touchy juice’ the night?

I was only asking what made you describe said outlet as a ‘tip’.

Pardon me.

The 90+2
06-07-2019, 10:07 PM
Christ, you been on the ‘touchy juice’ the night?

I was only asking what made you describe said outlet as a ‘tip’.

Pardon me.

Sorry Luce the cash payments only was the clincher for me mate. You’re the one awfy touchy about a former hearts shop which was a midden.

Scouse Hibee
06-07-2019, 10:38 PM

Excuse me it’s Multrees Walk.😁

Carheenlea
07-07-2019, 07:36 AM
Having a JD Sports at the airport will only serve to make it even easier to spot the jakeys going off on holiday.

:greengrin

Nothing wrong with a new pair of Lonsdale trainers for the holidays though :drool:

https://i.postimg.cc/g0FhffPX/21-A9-AC93-6-B76-45-BD-B3-AB-8-F19-CEBC45-F5.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

lord bunberry
07-07-2019, 07:47 AM
Celtic have got a shop at Glasgow Airport. I flew from there yesterday and there was a few people in it buying stuff.

Allant1981
07-07-2019, 09:27 AM
Nothing wrong with a new pair of Lonsdale trainers for the holidays though :drool:

https://i.postimg.cc/g0FhffPX/21-A9-AC93-6-B76-45-BD-B3-AB-8-F19-CEBC45-F5.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Think you are getting mixed up with sports direct, JD is quite expensive for trainers and dont sell lonsdale as far as I know

Hibernian Verse
07-07-2019, 09:47 AM
A pop up in the Three Sisters would be great. Youd sell a load of tops to pished people!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Here’s Lucy!
07-07-2019, 12:37 PM
Excuse me it’s Multrees Walk.😁

You are of course correct, Scouse. :aok:

My mistake.

Here’s Lucy!
07-07-2019, 12:39 PM
Sorry Luce the cash payments only was the clincher for me mate. You’re the one awfy touchy about a former hearts shop which was a midden.

No bother, man. :thumbsup:

I can assure you, I am not getting touchy about a bloody yam shop though.

Here’s Lucy!
07-07-2019, 12:40 PM

You've proved my point with one picture!

tamig
07-07-2019, 07:34 PM
You've proved my point with one picture!

Except you can’t buy that dross at JD. They sell decent stuff and you seem to be confusing them with Mike Ashley’s shops.

Here’s Lucy!
07-07-2019, 09:11 PM
Except you can’t buy that dross at JD. They sell decent stuff and you seem to be confusing them with Mike Ashley’s shops.

I stand corrected.

Am I thinking of Sports Direct?

tamig
07-07-2019, 09:19 PM
I stand corrected.

Am I thinking of Sports Direct?

Thats the one.