PDA

View Full Version : Dylan McGeouch to Aberdeen?

Pages : [1] 2

timewilltell
05-07-2019, 09:58 AM
DONS CHASE Aberdeen aiming to sign Dylan McGeouch before Friday night’s Euro deadlineLATEST

Gary Taylor

4 Jul 2019, 23:03

ABERDEEN boss Derek McInnes is aiming to snap up Dylan McGeouch before Friday night’s European signing deadline.
We told last week how the Dons gaffer was interested in taking the former Hibs and Celtic midfielder (https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4421590/dylan-mcgeouch-aberdeen-derek-mcinnes-interest-transfer-news/) back to Scotland if his future at Sunderland was resolved.
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2019/07/NINTCHDBPICT000493691938.jpg (https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4447925/dylan-mcgeouch-aberdeen-transfer-news-europa-deadline/#)1

McGeouch was a key player at Hibs but Sunderland move hasn't worked out

makaveli1875
05-07-2019, 10:02 AM
If he can stay injury free he's a great signing for them , Aberdeens robust playing style may see him frequenting the treatment table more often than not though.

GloryGlory
05-07-2019, 10:14 AM
If he can stay injury free he's a great signing for them , Aberdeens robust playing style may see him frequenting the treatment table more often than not though.

:agree: McInnes will be expecting him to "tackle" at least 5 members of the opposition haevily each game.

Franck Stanton
05-07-2019, 10:22 AM
Still think it is a major mistake us not signing him. Rather he was playing for us than against us, injury problems or not.

bigswissstriker
05-07-2019, 10:24 AM
Never gonna get the same numbers as mallan or Allan. We need a good foil for those 2 and Dylan isn’t that. We need a bit more physicality than he can offer. As much as I like the guy I’m glad we aren’t in for him. Let’s start looking forwards not back

Stuart93
05-07-2019, 10:27 AM
Still think it is a major mistake us not signing him. Rather he was playing for us than against us, injury problems or not.

Well he’ll no be playing against us if he gets injured

ScottB
05-07-2019, 10:32 AM
I sometimes wonder if he was so good because he was part of such a good collective? As in he hasn’t gone off to Sunderland and performed. He’s a good player I’m sure, but being alongside McGinn and Allan could have made all the difference.

Deansy
05-07-2019, 10:37 AM
He's a player we should be going in for, yes he's injury-prone but when he does play he's fantastic ! C'mon Hecky, a cheeky wee whisper in his ear - "....... plus we've got Scott Allan back !" - could maybe see Dylan realise he'd be out of place at what is basically a rugby-club !

Barman Stanton
05-07-2019, 10:40 AM
It doesn't look like Hecky fancies him unfortunately. I think Aberdeen will be a bad move for him. Just dont see their style of play suiting him at all.

Springbank
05-07-2019, 10:46 AM
I remember Kenny Millar's line about Dylan in the 2-0 Natural Order derby. It could easily go on a gravestone

"21 players came here tonight to play an Edinburgh Derby. Dylan McGeough came here to play football".

Hibs are Dylan's natural home.

Peevemor
05-07-2019, 10:49 AM
I sometimes wonder if he was so good because he was part of such a good collective? As in he hasn’t gone off to Sunderland and performed. He’s a good player I’m sure, but being alongside McGinn and Allan could have made all the difference.

Exactly. Same for Kamberi & Jamie Maclaren.

Deansy
05-07-2019, 10:50 AM
I remember Kenny Millar's line about Dylan in the 2-0 Natural Order derby. It could easily go on a gravestone

"21 players came here tonight to play an Edinburgh Derby. Dylan McGeough came here to play football".

Totally agree - as Scott Allan has realised he plays his best football at ER hopefully Dylan will as well - if Hecky goes for him !

MWHIBBIES
05-07-2019, 10:52 AM

He was a great player with Allan before McGinn, great player with Mcginn and Fyvie without Allan, great player with both Allan and Mcginn. Maybe hes actually just a great player in his own right?

Pretty Boy
05-07-2019, 10:55 AM
Is Dylan good at diving, time wasting or kicking people? If not I can't see what part he will play in a McIness side.

He was also a very good player for Hibs without being part of the trio with McGinn and Allan. He stood out when playing alongside Scott Robertson and Liam Craig, both of whom had decent seasons in the Championship, and a very good player when playing alongside McGinn and Fyvie. He looked better as part of the aforementioned trio primarily because he was able to stay fit and string a run of games together.

Franck Stanton
05-07-2019, 10:58 AM
Well he’ll no be playing against us if he gets injured

So, by your reckoning, Dylan is going to be injured EVERY time Aberdeen play Hibs. Intresting

The 90+2
05-07-2019, 10:59 AM
McGeough has made it clear his choice would be to come back. Craig wants him back, HC doesn’t.

MacGruber
05-07-2019, 11:03 AM
McGeough has made it clear his choice would be to come back. Craig wants him back, HC doesn’t.

Who is HC? The physio?

Onion
05-07-2019, 11:04 AM
Great player. Always thought he came across as less committed to Hibs than others such as SJM, Bartley etc. Would gladly take him back but only if he really wanted to be here.

The 90+2
05-07-2019, 11:08 AM
Who is HC? The physio?

Head Coach. It’s his judgement call and got to trust him. Dylan does want back though.

MacGruber
05-07-2019, 11:23 AM
Head Coach. It’s his judgement call and got to trust him. Dylan does want back though.

Ah got you!

If he wants back it's a no brainer. Disappointed the coach doesn't agree but have to trust him.

I'll take a lot of convincing we either have or will get better than Dylan. I don't think we will. Hopefully I'm wrong on that one

BILLYHIBS
05-07-2019, 11:29 AM
Is Dylan good at diving, time wasting or kicking people? If not I can't see what part he will play in a McIness side.

He was also a very good player for Hibs without being part of the trio with McGinn and Allan. He stood out when playing alongside Scott Robertson and Liam Craig, both of whom had decent seasons in the Championship, and a very good player when playing alongside McGinn and Fyvie. He looked better as part of the aforementioned trio primarily because he was able to stay fit and string a run of games together.

First sentence sums up The Sheep for me

I hate watching them

That LCQF at Easter Road when we pummelled them for 120 minutes they were playing for penalties after twenty minutes

Shocking football team!

matty_f
05-07-2019, 11:30 AM
I wish we were signing him.

Centre Hawf
05-07-2019, 11:33 AM

I'd probably take Dylan back but I can't say my heart goes out to him for not being welcomed back by Paul Heckingbottom. It's the risk you take when you walk out on a bosman like he did. You can't just go away and then think to yourself "at the very worst I can go back to Hibs, I done well there" Fast forward 12 months and the new gaffer doesn't owe you anything nor does he think you suit his style of play.

Good luck to you in Aberdeen Dylan because you won't be allowed to play like we know you can up there.

BILLYHIBS
05-07-2019, 11:33 AM
Who is HC? The physio?

Ha Ha!

I thought he meant Hermit Crab! 😂

Tiny_Tim
05-07-2019, 11:50 AM
I reckon we would take him in a minute but not sure if Aberdeen are still out paying us despite Rons dollars.

overdrive
05-07-2019, 11:51 AM
I reckon we would take him in a minute but not sure if Aberdeen are still out paying us despite Rons dollars.

Not according to Heckingbottom.

GloryGlory
05-07-2019, 11:51 AM

Hecky's already said McGeouch's not on his radar.

Franck Stanton
05-07-2019, 11:53 AM
Really don't think this is about money.

A Hi-Bee
05-07-2019, 12:00 PM

I am pretty sure that Hecky knows what he is doing and time will tell, I think Dylan is a great player but perhaps he would not fit into the way that our manager sees the team going forward.

The 90+2
05-07-2019, 12:03 PM

Not true at all. The opposite.

The 90+2
05-07-2019, 12:05 PM
I'd probably take Dylan back but I can't say my heart goes out to him for not being welcomed back by Paul Heckingbottom. It's the risk you take when you walk out on a bosman like he did. You can't just go away and then think to yourself "at the very worst I can go back to Hibs, I done well there" Fast forward 12 months and the new gaffer doesn't owe you anything nor does he think you suit his style of play.

Good luck to you in Aberdeen Dylan because you won't be allowed to play like we know you can up there.

I would love him to come back but I do agree with you too. Dylan with a ball at his feet, loved is his best playing football. He took the gamble and it’s not happened. He loves the club but it’s the risk he took.

Smartie
05-07-2019, 12:11 PM
If we're in a position to turn down Dylan McGeouch, we must be in a far stronger position than I thought.

Fantastic player.

A Hi-Bee
05-07-2019, 12:13 PM
If we're in a position to turn down Dylan McGeouch, we must be in a far stronger position than I thought.

Fantastic player.

Have we turned him down do we know if he even wanted to come back to Hibs?

Lago
05-07-2019, 12:22 PM
This love in for McGeoch is based purely on his last injury season in which he played well while running down his contract & stalling on signing a new one. Prior to that repeated injury kept him out the team & on the treatment table to the extent that there were calls on here to ditch him.

jeffers
05-07-2019, 12:26 PM
I've said this a few times now, but if he does sign for Aberdeen I'll be interested in how he does for them. Given their "style" over the past 2-3 seasons I'm not convinced he's a great fit for them.

As for coming to us he's not what we are missing from our midfield. We need a genuine defensive midfielder to bring more balance, that's not and never has been McGeouch IMO. Given the choice I'd prefer Omeonga, although even he isn't a genuine DM.

I've never got the love-in with McGeouch, a decent player who could be even better given his talents if he showed more ambition in his play. He's not a playmaker as some describe him., but a good link player. Asides from anything he's very injury prone, we got one good season out of four where he managed to play a significant number of games - it appears he was back to missing games through injury again last season.

Would I worry about coming up against an Aberdeen side with McGeouch in it ? No, not at all.

CapitalGreen
05-07-2019, 12:27 PM
This love in for McGeoch is based purely on his last injury season in which he played well while running down his contract & stalling on signing a new one. Prior to that repeated injury kept him out the team & on the treatment table to the extent that there were calls on here to ditch him.

No people love him because he was an excellent performer for us over 4 seasons, was part of our legendary cup winning team and was major part in helping to bring back the feel-good factor back to the club from Summer 2014 onwards.

MWHIBBIES
05-07-2019, 12:29 PM

Its not based purely on that, he was excellent for 4 years, a quick look at my post history and previous threads on him will show I've always believed he was a class player and vitally important to how Stubbs and Lennon played.

Golden Bear
05-07-2019, 12:31 PM

I agree. Hibs were very good for Mcgeoch, we raised his profile as a player and stuck by him through his lengthy period of "strains and sprains." He has undoubted qualities but I'm not convinced that he'd be a good investment. Let's face it, he didn't exactly set the heather on fire when he went south albeit the experience will have fattened his wallet.

CapitalGreen
05-07-2019, 12:34 PM
Let's face it, he didn't exactly set the heather on fire when he went south albeit the experience will have fattened his wallet.

IF he was to sign he'd be partnering in midfield with Mallan and Allan who equally didn't set the heather on fire when they went south.

Barman Stanton
05-07-2019, 12:35 PM
I'm bewildered by anyone not wanting Dylan back. Or perhaps it is more a case of 'dont want him anyway' as he looks like going elsewhere. Dylan was excellent at Hibs. Made things tick and was the link between defence and midfield. To the extent than some rated him higher that McGinn. Its amazing the short memories Hibs fans have.

04Sauzee
05-07-2019, 12:36 PM
I'm bewildered by anyone not wanting Dylan back. Or perhaps it is more a case of 'dont want him anyway' as he looks like going elsewhere. Dylan was excellent at Hibs. Made things tick and was the link between defence and midfield. To the extent than some rated him higher that McGinn. Its amazing the short memories Hibs fans have.
I'm in the love to have him back camp but also in the I have to trust the manager camp

craigiehibs
05-07-2019, 12:37 PM
good though dylan is, i dont think he fits heckys vision...and those at the q @ a at hibs club hecky was pretty lukewarm and just said we were aware of him, appeasing the dylan fans was my take and after that never expected us to move for him

Barman Stanton
05-07-2019, 12:38 PM
I'm in the love to have him back camp but also in the I have to trust the manager camp

Oh I get that. I have total trust in Hecky. My suspicion is he doesnt want him due to his injury record rather than talent. But reading the above you would think he wasn't actually all that great for Hibs (must have been watching a different McGeouch than me).

bigwheel
05-07-2019, 12:39 PM
good though dylan is, i dont think he fits heckys vision...and those at the q @ a at hibs club hecky was pretty lukewarm and just said we were aware of him, appeasing the dylan fans was my take and after that never expected us to move for him

I suspect you are right. Yet we know Dylan better than PH does - watched him many more times . If PH wants a ball retention , moving and passing midfield..Dylan would fit right in ....

craigiehibs

btw id like 2 be proved wrong but doubt i will be

Captain Trips
Have we turned him down do we know if he even wanted to come back to Hibs?

This what sometimes happens here that we have missed out on a player that we were not looking to bring in and we get all pissed off about it. If we want him then we will make offer irrespective if anyone thinks how good he is.

IMO I rate him highly and wouldn't mind him here but PH signs the players and plays the systems so his call and I am interested to see what his signings bring to table maybe PH thinks players we bought or are looking at are better.

My_Wife_Camille
05-07-2019, 12:41 PM
I worry about Heckys vision if it's a vision where a player of Dylan McGeouch's quality doesn't fit in

Stuart93
05-07-2019, 12:43 PM
I worry about Heckys vision if it's a vision where a player of Dylan McGeouch's quality doesn't fit in

But how? If he’s got a system in mind and mcgeouch doesn’t fit in to that we’d be back to filling round holes with square pegs like when Lennon was here

Frank Moon
05-07-2019, 12:43 PM
Loved him in the last season but when you look over the total time he was with us it was only really that season he did the business for us.
He wanted to go which he was entitled to do but personally I’m not that bothered about getting him back as we have enough ball players and need more box to box robust ones.

jeffers
05-07-2019, 12:44 PM
Oh I get that. I have total trust in Hecky. My suspicion is he doesnt want him due to his injury record rather than talent. But reading the above you would think he wasn't actually all that great for Hibs (must have been watching a different McGeouch than me).

I watched a helluvalot of him. My opinion has always been the same, decent but his contribution to the team was vastly exaggerated. Do you not think it's possible that our manager would rather have a midfielder who provides genuine defensive cover rather than one who links play between defence and midfield (which I've never been convinced is actually an essential role anyway as a decent defender can pass the ball to the midfield ?)

Springbank
05-07-2019, 12:44 PM
But how? If he’s got a system in mind and mcgeouch doesn’t fit in to that we’d be back to filling round holes with square pegs like when Lennon was here

Maybe a controversial view but I'd sell Mallan if it helped to get a mid 3 of mCGeough, Allan & Omeonga

An Aberdeen v Hibs game where McGeough is in red and Mallan in green risks being one where the team in red have the ball and we can't get it off them

Heisenberg
05-07-2019, 12:47 PM
Maybe a controversial view but I'd sell Mallan if it helped to get a mid 3 of mCGeough, Allan & Omeonga

An Aberdeen v Hibs game where McGeough is in red and Mallan in green risks being one where the team in red have the ball and we can't get it off them

Aberdeen will continue to sit deep, kick/hack/dive and counter attack their way to victory. They won’t be changing how they play, McGeouch in red or not.

My_Wife_Camille
05-07-2019, 12:48 PM
That's kinda what I mean. If Dylan isn't right for the system then I don't think the system is right to start with

LeithMike
This love in for McGeoch is based purely on his last injury season in which he played well while running down his contract & stalling on signing a new one. Prior to that repeated injury kept him out the team & on the treatment table to the extent that there were calls on here to ditch him.Think that's unfair. It also took Hibs' managers a long time to get Dylan in his best position - the holding role. Stubbs used to play Fyvie there and Dylan on the right hand side of a diamond. He did well enough there but you could see he came into his own when Lennon brought in Allan and played Dylan in the holding role in a midfield 3

I think any team who plays Dylan in an alternate role will not see the best of him and wonder if that is what happened at Sunderland?

I remember the away cup tie at Starks Park in 2015-16 season when Hibs were really toiling. At half-time Dylan went to the holding role, Fyvie to the right of the diamond (IIRC) and Hibs were a completely different team with Dylan running the game. You know what happened next.

If PH doesn't fancy him fair enough and it might be that Ojo is still on the cards.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Peevemor
Think that's unfair. It also took Hibs' managers a long time to get Dylan in his best position...

On the pitch regularly?

LeithMike
05-07-2019, 12:49 PM

An Aberdeen v Hibs game where McGeough is in red and Mallan in green risks being one where the team in red have the ball and we can't get it off themI would too.

CapitalGreen
05-07-2019, 12:51 PM
Aberdeen will continue to sit deep, kick/hack/dive and counter attack their way to victory. They won’t be changing how they play, McGeouch in red or not.

The most important word in your post is Victory. I would happily adopt an 'Aberdeen' style of play if it meant we replicated their performances in the league over the last 6 seasons.

MacGruber
05-07-2019, 12:52 PM
Our midfield was oustanding with McGinn, Allan and McGeough - some argued best trio in the country, definitley best outwith Celtic. All said we would struggle to replace losing players of that quality. Our entire season last year was passed off as 'what did you expect having lost thosd calibre of players' from many.

Signing Dylan would give us back 2 out of the 3 (McGinn will have to wait until we have 50 mill to spend)

Currently we are short in central midfield. Full of attacking players but not so much deep lying playmakers and a link from defence to attack. Also defensive midfield and box to box energy, drive, dig - call it what you will.

Given that and McGeough is proven at Hibs and would fit in seamlessly it would seem folly to not go in for him

Hope Heck proves me wrong (which in fairness he has done previously and had been doing a good job so far)

CapitalGreen
05-07-2019, 12:52 PM

I would too.

Barman Stanton
05-07-2019, 12:53 PM
I watched a helluvalot of him. My opinion has always been the same, decent but his contribution to the team was vastly exaggerated. Do you not think it's possible that our manager would rather have a midfielder who provides genuine defensive cover rather than one who links play between defence and midfield (which I've never been convinced is actually an essential role anyway as a decent defender can pass the ball to the midfield ?)

Time will tell who we have playing in that role and what style he wants us to play. Certainly when we had Dylan, Allan, McGinn we did not need a more defensive player in most games (I get we had Bartley for Hearts games etc). For me, he must have some cracking player in mind if he is going to be better than McGeouch.

DTS
05-07-2019, 12:55 PM
Would I take him back at ER? Absolutely. Is he one of the best CM’s in the league? IMO yes. Does our manager want him? No. Will he be a success at Aberdeen? IMO no as he doesn’t fit their style he’s not a shin or smashing into tackles. Is this all pointless as we aren’t interested in him? Yes.

Added to all this the reason hecky got rid of Milligan was because he wants “something different” in the role I think he wants athleticism in there and Dylan wouldn’t offer that either

LeithMike
05-07-2019, 12:56 PM

I would too.

I would too.Any chance I could sit beside you guys?[emoji16]

craigiehibs
05-07-2019, 12:56 PM
The most important word in your post is Victory. I would happily adopt an 'Aberdeen' style of play if it meant we replicated their performances in the league over the last 6 seasons.

i believe oji is still very much on the cards btw and thats the role hecky sees as missing

Greenbeard
05-07-2019, 12:57 PM
I've said this a few times now, but if he does sign for Aberdeen I'll be interested in how he does for them. Given their "style" over the past 2-3 seasons I'm not convinced he's a great fit for them.

As for coming to us he's not what we are missing from our midfield. We need a genuine defensive midfielder to bring more balance, that's not and never has been McGeouch IMO. Given the choice I'd prefer Omeonga, although even he isn't a genuine DM.

I've never got the love-in with McGeouch, a decent player who could be even better given his talents if he showed more ambition in his play. He's not a playmaker as some describe him., but a good link player. Asides from anything he's very injury prone, we got one good season out of four where he managed to play a significant number of games - it appears he was back to missing games through injury again last season.

Would I worry about coming up against an Aberdeen side with McGeouch in it ? No, not at all.
With you on this. Over-use of the word "great" on here. Very good yes, excellent at times, but for me not consistent enough to be a Hibs great, sometimes disappeared and I recall berating him too often for not tracking back and us losing goals as a result. Not surprised he didn't make it at Sunderland. Eggshell. We need an enforcer who is not going to crack. Milligan-like, but better.

Since452
05-07-2019, 01:03 PM
Doesn't always work bringing a player back. I get the impression Heckingbottom is looking at young hungry players. I was pleased the majority of the time when Dylan was playing but getting him playing and playing regularly was the hard part. Seems it was similar at Sunderland.

jeffers
05-07-2019, 01:04 PM
Time will tell who we have playing in that role and what style he wants us to play. Certainly when we had Dylan, Allan, McGinn we did not need a more defensive player in most games (I get we had Bartley for Hearts games etc). For me, he must have some cracking player in mind if he is going to be better than McGeouch.

If he signs a midfielder who links defence to midfield then I'd agree he should have signed McGeouch, but I just don't see that is the role he is looking to have filled. A replacement doesn't necessarily has to better than McGeouch ability wise, but if he's better at breaking up play and providing cover to the defence that's a better option for me.

Heisenberg
05-07-2019, 01:04 PM

Oh I definitely agree with that. My point was more that Aberdeen aren’t going to start playing silky keep ball just because they sign Dylan.

McGeouch is a good player. Absolutely no doubt about it. Would him signing for Aberdeen mean we “couldn’t get the ball of them”? No chance.

The Modfather
05-07-2019, 01:07 PM
Any chance I could sit beside you guys?[emoji16]

Speaking on behalf of the other 2 in our our season ticket group we are amenable to you moving seats PowderhallMike :greengrin

Unseen work
05-07-2019, 01:52 PM
Not a chance I would swap Mallan for Omeonga.

Omeonga runs about a lot and presses players well, I’m just not convinced about him on the ball. Yes a very good assist against St Johnstone but other than that I can’t think of many.

I would take him in the squad as he would be a good option, but sell him for Mallan? Did he not come out as Our top goal scorer, assists. Players player and fans player?

Lago
05-07-2019, 01:56 PM
Its not based purely on that, he was excellent for 4 years, a quick look at my post history and previous threads on him will show I've always believed he was a class player and vitally important to how Stubbs and Lennon played.

I am going to politely disagree with you, I always thought even when he was playing, prior to his last very good season, he flitted in & out of games. No doubt a talent but fragile one at times.
Can I also say I don't think he was overly bothered about being at ER.

Heisenberg
05-07-2019, 01:56 PM
Not a chance I would swap Mallan for Omeonga.

Omeonga runs about a lot and presses players well, I’m just not convinced about him on the ball. Yes a very good assist against St Johnstone but other than that I can’t think of many.

I would take him in the squad as he would be a good option, but sell him for Mallan? Did he not come out as Our top goal scorer, assists. Players player and fans player?

Yes, Mallan achieved all of that. Some folk still don’t rate him though, which I find baffling.

Since452
05-07-2019, 01:58 PM
Yes, Mallan achieved all of that. Some folk still don’t rate him though, which I find baffling.

Will never be good enough for some people. Find it crazy.

brog
05-07-2019, 02:14 PM

Maybe PH wasn't previously over aware of Dylan. No doubt he'll have been alerted to him by George Craig etc but if his only personal contact/view of Dylan was last season then it's understandable he's not making a huge effort to bring him back.

Nicho87
05-07-2019, 03:25 PM
I think Mallan gets a hard time. Had a terrific start and faded let’s not forget he’s only 22 is he not. For years we never had any goals from midfield the fact he is the best striker of the ball at the club imo says a lot for him. Hopefully with Allan in the team I can see Mallan getting a bit more room to let fly at goal. Opposition teams second half of season cottoned on to what was coming and were quick to press him within 30 yards. Allan and Boyle can free space for him.

dylan Coming back would be fantastic how any hibs fan would refuse him I simply don’t understand. Absolutely the type of player I want to watch every second week at Easter road, worth the season ticket money alone.

yekimevol
05-07-2019, 03:34 PM
100% agree with this great footballer with amazing vision and distribution of the ball; would love to see him back at ER.

WeeRussell
05-07-2019, 04:23 PM
A very good footballer, and I don’t think anyone on here would be disgruntled if he were back in our squad. I just don’t think we all believe we should be bending over backwards to bring him back or think PH is some clueless manager for not making huge efforts to bring him in.

He was part of arguably the best midfield in the country at one point, yes. We’ve got Allan back and never will get McGinn back. Those two were ahead of everyone in my book... it’s stevie Mallan, Omeonga or anyone else for that matter played alongside those two.. they’d stake a claim to the best midfield in the league also.

Very good player and welcome back? Absolutely
Break the bank or plans in order to sign him? Not for me.

WeeRussell
05-07-2019, 04:26 PM

A nice quote and probably fairly accurate too. However some may argue that we spent a number of years playing football against hearts and getting nothing out of it as we didn’t turn up to play an Edinburgh derby..

500miles
05-07-2019, 04:31 PM

I was critical of Mallan when he first joined, particularly in terms of his work off the ball. Since the new manager came in, he's improved vastly in that respect. I think he will continue to improve too.

Monts
05-07-2019, 05:40 PM
Have they now missed the deadline to sign him for their euro tie?

jacomo
05-07-2019, 08:24 PM

We spend years moaning about the lack of goals from midfield and then we score a goal scoring midfielder and we moan about that.

Mallan’s not perfect but he offers a lot.

Captain Trips
05-07-2019, 08:40 PM
I would like us to put all the effort into Omenonga

S4uzee
05-07-2019, 08:41 PM
I would like us to put all the effort into Omenonga

Dylan is a better player than Omeonga IMO

SouthMoroccoStu
05-07-2019, 08:43 PM
Dylan is a better player than Omeonga IMO

Injury worry vs sell on and potential value?

Wee Omeonga wins hands down

Tyler Durden
05-07-2019, 08:45 PM
All these comments that Dylan didn’t enjoy or appreciate being at Hibs as much as certain other players.... bizarre stuff.

DTS
05-07-2019, 08:47 PM
All these comments that Dylan didn’t enjoy or appreciate being at Hibs as much as certain other players.... bizarre stuff.

To be fair I always got the impression he enjoyed it at hibs as far as loved it but, he wasn’t quick to come back after his loan spell and he did have the offer to stay in the first place but was always edging towards leaving with Aberdeen always muted. It’s naive to think players will always love it and never want to be anywhere else

BILLYHIBS
05-07-2019, 08:49 PM

Defo very emotional the last game of the season

blackpoolhibs
05-07-2019, 08:52 PM
We spend years moaning about the lack of goals from midfield and then we score a goal scoring midfielder and we moan about that.

Mallan’s not perfect but he offers a lot.

I agree, but he was played as a deep lying midfielder when PH came in, and i'd prefer Dylan every time over Mallan in that position.

Smartie
05-07-2019, 09:09 PM
I think he was conflicted and probably still is.

He was very happy playing for us and had some great times with us. He probably wasn't a huge fan of the manager but they come and go.

The sad fact is that he knew he could get far more money elsewhere and he knows that he can do that now. Choosing between money and happiness isn't easy, especially when you're injury prone and you have a short career.

He was clearly very emotional when he left but he has to do what is right for him. Surely we don't begrudge a cup winning legend that right?

Shrekko
05-07-2019, 09:12 PM

Always one of the last off the pitch applauding the fans after every game.

I always had the impression he loved it as Hibs.

AZhibee
05-07-2019, 09:13 PM
Defo very emotional the last game of the season

Seemed like a rather subdued fellow as well, wouldn’t expect wild reactions from him, so for him to get emotional means something.

S4uzee
05-07-2019, 09:17 PM
Injury worry vs sell on and potential value?

Wee Omeonga wins hands down

I just feel he has more of an influence on games. I liked Omeonga but I just don’t see him scoring/assisting much. A midfield of Allan/Mallan/Omeonga is very unbalanced to me

Vault Boy
05-07-2019, 09:21 PM
Dylan is too good for Aberdeen. He'll be wasted by their anti football.

Heisenberg
05-07-2019, 09:24 PM
I just feel he has more of an influence on games. I liked Omeonga but I just don’t see him scoring/assisting much. A midfield of Allan/Mallan/Omeonga is very unbalanced to me

Dylan never assisted or scored goals either. That wasn’t his game and it isn’t Omeongas.

Smartie
05-07-2019, 09:29 PM

I can't see any midfield with both Allan and Mallan working.

Either or, and I prefer Allan.

Dylan would have been perfect for one of the other slots.

Without having seen any of our new boys yet, I don't think we're even close to cracking our centre midfield issue yet, and that was our problem during our pitiful first half of last season.

HFC93
05-07-2019, 09:32 PM

How many and goals and assists did Mcgeouch get at Hibs?

S4uzee
05-07-2019, 09:33 PM
I can't see any midfield with both Allan and Mallan working.

Either or, and I prefer Allan.

Dylan would have been perfect for one of the other slots.

Without having seen any of our new boys yet, I don't think we're even close to cracking our centre midfield issue yet, and that was our problem during our pitiful first half of last season.
Totally agree about Allan/Mallan but it’s tricky as Allan has to play and Mallan is always a goal threat and can assist. Could a solid CDM sort that?

Even playing Slivka wouldn’t work IMO

S4uzee
05-07-2019, 09:34 PM
How many and goals and assists did Mcgeouch get at Hibs?

He has more of an influence on games than Omeonga as I said, surely no one can deny that?

Personally can’t see Omeonga controlling a game like Dylan did

DetroitHibs
05-07-2019, 09:46 PM
He has more of an influence on games than Omeonga as I said, surely no one can deny that?

Personally can’t see Omeonga controlling a game like Dylan did

If you put Omeonga in the midfield with McGinn and Allan, you see a different kind of player. Dylan was complimented by the players around him. It's no coincidence that he's struggled at Sunderland without that quality around him.

Diclonius
05-07-2019, 10:25 PM
McGeouch is a player who clearly was never really attached to us. It's his choice - we'll just have to sign better.

jgl07
05-07-2019, 11:30 PM
So, by your reckoning, Dylan is going to be injured EVERY time Aberdeen play Hibs. Intresting

So no change there!

Clarence
05-07-2019, 11:47 PM
Was there not an interview with him, just prior to leaving us, talking about having only so many playing years left and having to make the most of his career financially? I’d imagine that he’ll go where he can get the most cash. Fair enough. In terms of coming back to us, he strikes me as a bit of a cold fish, so probably feels that he won the cup with us and won’t emulate that feeling at the club again. I’d like to see him back but don’t see it happening and happy for both parties to move on.

Cardinal G
06-07-2019, 02:00 AM

Times that he got game time at Sunderland he was the same, always going to every corner of stadium to clap fans and being last off pitch.

Barney McGrew
06-07-2019, 03:34 AM

He did. And if it wasn’t for our previous manager and his ‘man-management skills’ he’d probably still be with us now.

J-C
06-07-2019, 04:50 AM
He did. And if it wasn’t for our previous manager and his ‘man-management skills’ he’d probably still be with us now.

But but but wasn't it Lennon who went to Dylan's house to persuade him to re sign for Celtic :greengrin

DetroitHibs
06-07-2019, 05:12 AM
Dylan played his best football in a Hibs shirt under Lennon. Neil got the best out off Dylan wether he likes it or not. I’m confident he won’t see form like that anytime in his career going forward. I think the right mix of players in the midfield allowed Dylan to shine and flourish. He lasted one year in the third tier of English football and couldn’t cut it. Time will tell how great he is.

Winston Ingram
06-07-2019, 05:26 AM
McGeouch is a player who clearly was never really attached to us. It's his choice - we'll just have to sign better.

I’m sorry but that’s drivel. Anyone who saw the state of him at the end of his last game for us could see that

SouthMoroccoStu
06-07-2019, 05:29 AM
So did Dylan sign for Aberdeen before the euro date cut off?

06-07-2019, 06:23 AM

No

SouthMoroccoStu
06-07-2019, 06:37 AM
No

Cheers

Like others have said I don’t think Dylan would suit Aberdeen’s style of play

Centre Hawf
06-07-2019, 06:41 AM

I was one of his biggest critics at times last season. And I admit he is of immense natural talent at striking a ball. I do however have a lot of issues with his overall play in midfield, he switches off often and he never seems to grab games. These things don't make him a terrible player, in fact if he didn't have these issues then he wouldn't have came to Hibs I'm sure. They just mean we need to tighten up and have additional players that can cover for that. Which I don't necessarily think we have or have had in his time here so far.

I am very intrigued to see how him and Allan will fit into a midfield together without some sort of John McGinn type or two.

Hamish
06-07-2019, 07:09 AM

Think they can still do a 'wild card' signing before Thursday

Tyler Durden
06-07-2019, 07:19 AM
I’ve absolutely no doubt that Allan and Mallan will play well in the same midfield. With a solid number 6 behind them we’ll have a good mix. Ideally that would be someone with a bit more dig and energy than Dylan.

If we signed Dylan I’d see him competing with Mallan rather than playing deeper.

It seems like the issues with Ojo has set us back a bit in signing that defensive midfielder? We’re probably still working to sign him whilst also now looking at our second or third choices. I could see us signing a young loan player for that role as most top teams now develop that type of player as a specialist position.

Centre Hawf
06-07-2019, 07:33 AM
I’ve absolutely no doubt that Allan and Mallan will play well in the same midfield. With a solid number 6 behind them we’ll have a good mix. Ideally that would be someone with a bit more dig and energy than Dylan.

If we signed Dylan I’d see him competing with Mallan rather than playing deeper.

It seems like the issues with Ojo has set us back a bit in signing that defensive midfielder? We’re probably still working to sign him whilst also now looking at our second or third choices. I could see us signing a young loan player for that role as most top teams now develop that type of player as a specialist position.

It's a shame Rangers probably wouldn't entertain the idea of loaning players to us because Ross McRorie would have been fantastic in the role, albeit a bit inexperienced on the whole but would have been desperate to prove himself to his club and doing it in Scotland would have been a good way of doing so.

JimBHibees
06-07-2019, 08:59 AM
It's a shame Rangers probably wouldn't entertain the idea of loaning players to us because Ross McRorie would have been fantastic in the role, albeit a bit inexperienced on the whole but would have been desperate to prove himself to his club and doing it in Scotland would have been a good way of doing so.

Is he that good? Has potential but to me seemed a bit of a thug and not that great on the ball.

04Sauzee
06-07-2019, 09:05 AM

Somebody like Allan Campbell at motherwell would be good, unfortunately he's got 2 years left at motherwell

Tyler Durden
06-07-2019, 09:28 AM

Yeah he would have been ideal. I suppose Portsmouth isn’t a bad move for him for a year

Killie have done well finding Power and Dicker for that position in recent seasons. I’m sure we have targets that we’re working on. We’ve just been spoiled with so many other signings coming in early for once!

Centre Hawf
06-07-2019, 10:17 AM
Is he that good? Has potential but to me seemed a bit of a thug and not that great on the ball.

He's got that edge to him but not sure I'd class him as a thug as such. Plays centre half as well so needs to nail down a position at this stage in his career, one or the other.

LeithMike
06-07-2019, 10:57 AM
It's a shame Rangers probably wouldn't entertain the idea of loaning players to us because Ross McRorie would have been fantastic in the role, albeit a bit inexperienced on the whole but would have been desperate to prove himself to his club and doing it in Scotland would have been a good way of doing so.If we are aiming to compete with Rangers then I dont think we should be loaning players from them. It was fine leaning players from Celtic when we were a league below but really sont think we should be loaning players from any other team in our league. There should really be rules which prevent it to protect the integrity of the league

Centre Hawf
06-07-2019, 11:00 AM
If we are aiming to compete with Rangers then I dont think we should be loaning players from them. It was fine leaning players from Celtic when we were a league below but really sont think we should be loaning players from any other team in our league. There should really be rules which prevent it to protect the integrity of the league

Not sure I agree with that. Good players fall through the cracks at both Clubs constantly and can be developed further, admittedly it may benefit Rangers etc long term but it could force moves in our favour if they enjoy their loans. We took Scott Allan 18 months ago on loan and he transformed our season, a loan move that probably paved the way for his return this summer.

MagicSwirlingShip
06-07-2019, 08:49 PM
Cheers

Like others have said I don’t think Dylan would suit Aberdeen’s style of play

Aberdeen's style of football has done not too bad for the likes of Mclean, Shinnie and Jack who have all went on to bigger things since leaving them. Seems they churn out some decent midfielders? :dunno:

AB Hibby
06-07-2019, 11:47 PM
Yeah he would have been ideal. I suppose Portsmouth isn’t a bad move for him for a year

Killie have done well finding Power and Dicker for that position in recent seasons. I’m sure we have targets that we’re working on. We’ve just been spoiled with so many other signings coming in early for once!

Watched Dicker play a season for Carlisle Utd pre Killie and he was rank. Doesn't always add up. That's thr curse and intrigue of football.

FilipinoHibs
07-07-2019, 10:41 AM
Dylan played his best football in a Hibs shirt under Lennon. Neil got the best out off Dylan wether he likes it or not. I’m confident he won’t see form like that anytime in his career going forward. I think the right mix of players in the midfield allowed Dylan to shine and flourish. He lasted one year in the third tier of English football and couldn’t cut it. Time will tell how great he is.

Think he played well under Stubbs but injured a lot.

CockneyRebel
07-07-2019, 11:04 AM
Aberdeen's style of football has done not too bad for the likes of Mclean, Shinnie and Jack who have all went on to bigger things since leaving them. Seems they churn out some decent midfielders? :dunno:

McGeouch's style of play is absolutely nothing like the players you mention above.

sixtwo
07-07-2019, 11:41 AM
He is an excellent player and would be an asset to any team in Scotland bar Celtic who deemed him surplus to requirements. He is a cup winner and had a very good spell with us previously. Anyone who thinks we should not go for him has a very short memory. He was up there with Mcginn as our top performer

calumhibee1
07-07-2019, 12:01 PM
Think he played well under Stubbs but injured a lot.

He was very good under Stubbs.

Deansy
07-07-2019, 12:15 PM

Not controversial at all - I'm reaching for the Kleenex at the very thought of McGeough, Allan & Omeonga ! C'mon Hecky - make it happen !

jeffers
07-07-2019, 12:27 PM
He is an excellent player and would be an asset to any team in Scotland bar Celtic who deemed him surplus to requirements. He is a cup winner and had a very good spell with us previously. Anyone who thinks we should not go for him has a very short memory. He was up there with Mcginn as our top performer

My memory is mine, I'd just prefer us to sign players for positions that need filled, not follow the Lennon pattern of signing talented players then 6+ months later still have no idea how to fit them together in a balanced formation. The bit in bold just isn't true.

Centre Hawf
07-07-2019, 12:39 PM
My memory is mine, I'd just prefer us to sign players for positions that need filled, not follow the Lennon pattern of signing talented players then 6+ months later still have no idea how to fit them together in a balanced formation. The bit in bold just isn't true.

McGinn was obviously the better player and his impact was missed the most but the fact McGeouch was POTY before leaving over McGinn says a lot about how important he was to us that final season.

mjhibby
07-07-2019, 02:26 PM
McGinn was obviously the better player and his impact was missed the most but the fact McGeouch was POTY before leaving over McGinn says a lot about how important he was to us that final season.

I always thought that McGeoch was just as essential as mcginn and alan. His simple pass and move got us attacking a lot quicker than folk appreciate and he very rarely lost the ball which eased pressure on the defence. Id love to see him back but the nagging doubt regards his injury record is the only issue. It will not be about money if it's a loan deal so a season long loan deal would suit both parties. Hecky doesn't seem keen,probably as he is going on last season where he couldn't get into the Sunderland team. I trust heckys judgement so I'll leave it to him. Fwiw i think Aberdeen haven't made great signings bar Bryson who will suit them and McGeoch would enhance their squad but it would be a gamble with his I jury problems. I wish Dylan success wherever he goes as it was a pleasure watching him at er.

hfc rd
07-07-2019, 02:43 PM
I always thought that McGeoch was just as essential as mcginn and alan. His simple pass and move got us attacking a lot quicker than folk appreciate and he very rarely lost the ball which eased pressure on the defence. Id love to see him back but the nagging doubt regards his injury record is the only issue. It will not be about money if it's a loan deal so a season long loan deal would suit both parties. Hecky doesn't seem keen,probably as he is going on last season where he couldn't get into the Sunderland team. I trust heckys judgement so I'll leave it to him. Fwiw i think Aberdeen haven't made great signings bar Bryson who will suit them and McGeoch would enhance their squad but it would be a gamble with his I jury problems. I wish Dylan success wherever he goes as it was a pleasure watching him at er.

Watching us yesterday, a player like Dylan McGeouch would have walked right into our team. Someone that gets on the ball and controls the midfield. Heckingbottom mentioning that he isn’t interested in him makes me wonder who it is that we are in for? Aberdeen will have signed a very good player.

Reading the Aberdeen forum, the player that they are raving about is Ryan Hedges. Saying his playing style is very similar to Jonny Hayes.

majorhibs
07-07-2019, 07:25 PM

Out that top top midfield, nae chance McGinn back he’s going places, S.A. back, if there’s a chance of a proven class in Hibs jersey player like McGeouch coming back we’ve gotta go for it imo, & build around it, sure fitness an issue more than some but how good was that midfield that 2nd half of that season, there wouldn’t have been many watching that quality, chance of 2/3 back & building from there bit of a no brainer for me!

Pretty Boy
07-07-2019, 07:35 PM
Dylan McGeough was a fantastic player throughout his time at Hibs. He obviously had an issue with a long term injury but when he played we were a better side. The myth he 'needed McGinn and Allan' is exactly that. A myth. People underestimate the importance of a player who can take the ball, keep it and move it on.

People trying to downplay how good a player McGeough is are just trying to rewrite history because he is potentially signing for a rival imo. Some of the nonsense being written is just bizarre.

bingo70
07-07-2019, 07:37 PM
Dylan McGeough was a fantastic player throughout his time at Hibs. He obviously had an issue with a long term injury but when he played we were a better side. The myth he 'needed McGinn and Allan' is exactly that. A myth. People underestimate the importance of a player who can take the ball, keep it and move it on.

People trying to downplay how good a player McGeough is are just trying to rewrite history because he is potentially signing for a rival imo. Some of the nonsense being written is just bizarre.

I think there’s an element of people just trying to support the manager who has clearly made his decision on Mcgeouch.

bigwheel
07-07-2019, 07:40 PM
I think there’s an element of people just trying to support the manager who has clearly made his decision on Mcgeouch.

Yeah. Good points...the fact remains , we know more about McGeouch than PH does...no doubt he would be a great addition..

bingo70
07-07-2019, 07:44 PM
Yeah. Good points...the fact remains , we know more about McGeouch than PH does...no doubt he would be a great addition..

Yeah, if he was to sign then I think he’d be a really good signing.

But he’s not so I don’t see the point in worrying too much about it.

HoboHarry
07-07-2019, 07:44 PM
I'm quite sure George Craig et al have passed on their opinions to the manager.

Pretty Boy
07-07-2019, 07:49 PM

Fair enough. I'd argue it's possible to support the managers decision without just blatantly lying.

bigwheel
07-07-2019, 07:53 PM
I'm quite sure George Craig et al have passed on their opinions to the manager.

Fair points - yet PH doesn’t fancy him ...if they weren’t giving him a good review I’d be a little confused ...

Stokesy's on fire
07-07-2019, 07:57 PM
Tragic fall from grace for Dylan if he ends up playing for Mcwinless at Aberdeen.

BILLYHIBS
07-07-2019, 08:05 PM
Only time I recall Dylan showing his real class and grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck was second half at Hampden versus the sheep and even then he injured himself celebrating the goal

Better player and midfielder for me was Kevin Thomson

07-07-2019, 08:06 PM
I've not completely given up on Heckingbottom going after Dylan. I know he said he'd had a look at him and we weren't pursuing it but there was something about how he said it that made me wonder if he was just trying to throw people off the scent as he didn't want to reveal his hand.

CapitalGreen
07-07-2019, 08:07 PM
Tragic fall from grace for Dylan if he ends up playing for Mcwinless at Aberdeen.

Would quite happily take his league performances over the last 6 seasons.

Hibeesmad
07-07-2019, 08:11 PM
Watching us yesterday, a player like Dylan McGeouch would have walked right into our team. Someone that gets on the ball and controls the midfield. Heckingbottom mentioning that he isn’t interested in him makes me wonder who it is that we are in for? Aberdeen will have signed a very good player.

Reading the Aberdeen forum, the player that they are raving about is Ryan Hedges. Saying his playing style is very similar to Jonny Hayes.

Hedges is a very good talent, could walk into the Celtic and Rangers team imho

jacomo
07-07-2019, 08:12 PM
Only time I recall Dylan showing his real class and grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck was second half at Hampden versus the sheep and even then he injured himself celebrating the goal

Better player and midfielder for me was Kevin Thomson

That’s as maybe but KT isn’t available anymore... and his final season at ER showed why stopped playing.

In fact, had Dylan been available for the 2016 League Cup Final instead, I’m convinced we would have won it.

BILLYHIBS
07-07-2019, 08:16 PM
That’s as maybe but KT isn’t available anymore... and his final season at ER showed why stopped playing.

In fact, had Dylan been available for the 2016 League Cup Final instead, I’m convinced we would have won it.

Cannae argue with that......

But in their prime....

Like for like ...was what I meant

Then again Broony !!!

Whole different ball game 😁

jeffers
07-07-2019, 08:17 PM
Dylan McGeough was a fantastic player throughout his time at Hibs. He obviously had an issue with a long term injury but when he played we were a better side. The myth he 'needed McGinn and Allan' is exactly that. A myth. People underestimate the importance of a play can take the ball, keep it and move it on.

It’s not a myth, it’s a fact. What McGeouch brings to the team is ineffectual without good players in front of him.

The bigger myth is that Scott Allan and SJM needed McGeouch to flourish.

Stokesy's on fire
07-07-2019, 08:18 PM
Would quite happily take his league performances over the last 6 seasons.

Bottle jobs

CapitalGreen
07-07-2019, 08:22 PM
Bottle jobs

6 consecutive top 4 finishes, 4 in 2nd place. It’s been nearly 15 years since we had the “bottle” required to finish higher than 4th.

CapitalGreen
07-07-2019, 08:24 PM
It’s not a myth, it’s a fact. What McGeouch brings to the team is ineffectual without good players in front of him.

It’s not a fact, it’s your opinion.

jeffers
07-07-2019, 08:28 PM
It’s not a fact, it’s your opinion.

It’s a fact that he’s not great defensively, rarely If ever provided an assist and scored once in his last 2 years with us.

hfc rd
07-07-2019, 08:29 PM
Hedges is a very good talent, could walk into the Celtic and Rangers team imho

Big statement that.

I’ve never seen him personally play before but reading the comments from the sheep is that he’s very similar to Jonny Hayes.

MWHIBBIES
07-07-2019, 08:31 PM

That is definitely not a fact

CapitalGreen
07-07-2019, 08:31 PM
It’s a fact that he’s not great defensively, rarely If ever provided an assist and scored once in his last 2 years with us.

If teams are picked on how many goals players have scored it’s a wonder we don’t start 11 strikers every week.

MikeyS
07-07-2019, 08:32 PM

He didnt need either of them when he was playing very well alongside Robertson & Fyvie. He was class & I'm sure if injury free will show that again.

Pretty Boy
07-07-2019, 08:32 PM

It's arguably a fact that McGeough played his best football in a Hibs strip as part of that trio. The same could be said of the other 2. We had close to the best midfield in the country for 6 months.

It's unmitigated nonsense to suggest McGeough was 'ineffectual' without McGinn and Allan. He was a stand out in a far weaker midfield in our 1st season in the Championship. Evidently the players felt he offered something massively important to the side as he walked away with their POTY award.

Football players can't just be judged on goals, assists and tackles. McGeough took the ball from deep, took the ball and kept it in tight areas, recycled the ball and kept possession when a move broke down and the ball ended up 30-40 yards from the opponents goal and dictated the pace of a game. The same people who don't seem to rate McGeough probably say banal things like 'Barry Ferguson and Paul McStay only passed the ball sideways.'

CapitalGreen
07-07-2019, 08:35 PM
Evidently the players felt he offered something massively important to the side as he walked away with their POTY award.

What the hell would they know about it? 😂

jeffers
07-07-2019, 08:55 PM
It's arguably a fact that McGeough played his best football in a Hibs strip as part of that trio. The same could be said of the other 2. We had close to the best midfield in the country for 6 months.

It's unmitigated nonsense to suggest McGeough was 'ineffectual' without McGinn and Allan. He was a stand out in a far weaker midfield in our 1st season in the Championship. Evidently the players felt he offered something massively important to the side as he walked away with their POTY award.

Football players can't just be judged on goals, assists and tackles. McGeough took the ball from deep, took the ball and kept it in tight areas, recycled the ball and kept possession when a move broke down and the ball ended up 30-40 yards from the opponents goal and dictated the pace of a game. The same people who don't seem to rate McGeough probably say banal things like 'Barry Ferguson and Paul McStay only passed the ball sideways.'

I don't disagree that his last season was his best, he was fitter, he missed less games and was possibly motivated by a manager telling the media that his injury problems were in his head.

I said what he does is ineffectual without decent players in front of him and I stand by that. He doesn't stop goals and he doesn't create or score goals.

I don't rememember him as a standout in our first season in the Championship. I remember him being decent but missing a fair number of games through injury. I do however remember Scott Allan as being a standout and destroying the Huns in a midfield that contained Liam Craig, Scott Robertson and Danny Handling.

Personally I thought McStay was a bit overrated, Barry Ferguson I thought was a great player.

I have never once said McGeouch wasn't a talented player, but I've never got the love-in with him either.

LeithMike
07-07-2019, 09:03 PM

The bigger myth is that Scott Allan and SJM needed McGeouch to flourish.Complete nonsense. It was a midfield partnership.
Allan and McGinn flourished because McGeouch brought the ball out of defence and got them in the game.

You could see in the season past how much Hibs missed him. Milligan did a fair job but not to the same level or consistency and Mallan just wasnt able to play that role yet.

There is more to football than assists and goals. Perhaps not easy for some to see that though.

superfurryhibby
07-07-2019, 09:09 PM
I don't disagree that his last season was his best, he was fitter, he missed less games and was possibly motivated by a manager telling the media that his injury problems were in his head.

I said what he does is ineffectual without decent players in front of him and I stand by that. He doesn't stop goals and he doesn't create or score goals.

I don't rememember him as a standout in our first season in the Championship. I remember him being decent but missing a fair number of games through injury. I do however remember Scott Allan as being a standout and destroying the Huns in a midfield that contained Liam Craig, Scott Robertson and Danny Handling.

Personally I thought McStay was a bit overrated, Barry Ferguson I thought was a great player.

I have never once said McGeouch wasn't a talented player, but I've never got the love-in with him either.

McStay was a much bette4 footballer than Ferguson.

Kind of agreeing with what you say about Dylan, he ‘s better as part of an effective unit. Decent footballer, but we need something different right now. He’s luxury we probably can’t afford.

Stokesy's on fire
07-07-2019, 09:10 PM
6 consecutive top 4 finishes, 4 in 2nd place. It’s been nearly 15 years since we had the “bottle” required to finish higher than 4th.

The only reason they have done well was down to the fact the league was at its all time weakest. The big guns were all out the way for a while.

CapitalGreen
07-07-2019, 09:15 PM

Not sure what this even means. Is anyone suggesting that we sign him and play him with poor players. We have already signed Allan so going by your logic, presumably his play will be effectual?

jeffers
07-07-2019, 09:20 PM
Complete nonsense. It was a midfield partnership.
Allan and McGinn flourished because McGeouch brought the ball out of defence and got them in the game.

You could see in the season past how much Hibs missed him. Milligan did a fair job but not to the same level or consistency and Mallan just wasnt able to play that role yet.

There is more to football than assists and goals. Perhaps not easy for some to see that though.

Allan and SJM flourished because Allan and SJM are superb players, the latter was Villa's best player last season in a league above the one McGeouch couldn't get a regular game in. The way some Hibs fans go on about McGeouch is laughable, I've seen him compared to Pirlo and Iniesta on this site, as a playmaker and a quarterback. Did they ever watch those players ? McGeouch is a link player, good at what he does, but you'd think it was essential to have someone in the team doing that as if defenders are incapable of passing it to their midfield colleagues.

Of course there is more to football than assists and goals, I mention them though because McGeouch won't win you games and he won't stop the opposition from scoring, he relies on others to do that. Is that not true ? I have never left a Hibs match after a loss/draw where McGeouch wasn't playing and thought we could have drawn/won that game if only he'd been playing.

CapitalGreen
07-07-2019, 09:21 PM
The only reason they have done well was down to the fact the league was at its all time weakest. The big guns were all out the way for a while.

Not true.

13/14 - Hibs and Hearts were in the league
15/16 - Hearts were in the league
16/17 - Rangers and Hearts were in the league.
17/18 & 18/19 - Hibs, Rangers and Hearts were in the league.

Even regardless of what bigger teams were out of the league, they have still had to be consistently beat the 10 “smaller” teams below them, something we will need to replicate if we are to break into the top 3.

CapitalGreen
07-07-2019, 09:23 PM
Allan and SJM flourished because Allan and SJM are superb players, the latter was Villa's best player last season in a league above the one McGeouch couldn't get a regular game in. The way some Hibs fans go on about McGeouch is laughable, I've seen him compared to Pirlo and Iniesta on this site, as a playmaker and a quarterback. Did they ever watch those players ? McGeouch is a link player, good at what he does, but you'd think it was essential to have someone in the team doing that as if defenders are incapable of passing it to their midfield colleagues.

Of course there is more to football than assists and goals, I mention them though because McGeouch won't win you games and he won't stop the opposition from scoring, he relies on others to do that. Is that not true ? I have never left a Hibs match after a loss/draw where McGeouch wasn't playing and thought we could have drawn/won that game if only he'd been playing.

If you asked McGinn and Allan what they thought of McGeough’s impact on their game what do you think they’d say?

Unseen work
07-07-2019, 09:26 PM

This theory really annoys me, Aberdeen have came second because they’re second best.

Us, Rangers and Hearts were all brutal and that’s why we weren’t in the top flight, we can’t say they had it easy because we weren’t in it. If we were in it, it wouldn’t have made it any harder. We got relegated for a reason.

Thats like Leeds fans saying the top 4 have it easy since they’re not in it, times change.

Thankfully we’re now on the way back up and can start challenging for 4th, but to say Aberdeen had it easy is ridiculous.

Lets bare in mind in Stubbs final season we also finished behind Falkirk...

jeffers
07-07-2019, 09:26 PM
Not sure what this even means. Is anyone suggesting that we sign him and play him with poor players. We have already signed Allan so going by your logic, presumably his play will be effectual?

What I am saying is we need a better balance in our midfield, we need a genuine defensive midfielder. That's not McGeouch. I think a midfield of him, Allan and say Mallan would be good going forward but would provide our defence with little to no cover.

BILLYHIBS
07-07-2019, 09:27 PM
McStay was a much bette4 footballer than Ferguson.

Kind of agreeing with what you say about Dylan, he ‘s better as part of an effective unit. Decent footballer, but we need something different right now. He’s luxury we probably can’t afford.
That is probably what Hecky is thinking but who?

To be fair Jeffers raised a valid point

McStay or Barry The Crab Ferguson

It deserves its own thread

I preferred McStay more attack minded

It would have been nice to see him challenge himself abroad or in the EPL

Oh and that penalty miss against Raith Rovers the miss that launched a scoreboard 😁

jeffers
07-07-2019, 09:30 PM
If you asked McGinn and Allan what they thought of McGeough’s impact on their game what do you think they’d say?

I'd hazard a guess they'd say he played his part in the midfield but that they'd have done just as well without him.

CapitalGreen
07-07-2019, 09:33 PM
I'd hazard a guess they'd say he played his part in the midfield but that they'd have done just as well without him.

In respect of Allan it looks like we’ll find out this season whether that’s true or not.

jeffers
07-07-2019, 09:37 PM
That is probably what Hecky is thinking but who?

To be fair Jeffers raised a valid point

McStay or Barry The Crab Ferguson

It deserves its own thread

I preferred McStay more attack minded

It would have been nice to see him challenge himself abroad or in the EPL

Oh and that penalty miss against Raith Rovers the miss that launched a scoreboard ��

We were linked with Ojo. I have never seen him play but reading up on him he sounded like exactly the type of player we need to provide balance to our midfield.

Natural ability I thought McStay probably shaded it, but overall I thought Ferguson the better player. Despite playing most of his career primarily as a deep midfielder Ferguson still managed to score 18 goals one season, so he had it in him as an attacking threat.

The Baldmans Comb
07-07-2019, 09:45 PM
Didn't Hecky say in a press conference that he wasnt looking at Dylan even if he was available.

We obviously need a deep playing midfielder who can run with the ball so I wonder what his thought process was apart from wages obviously.

Dylan is not the best tackler so can only think Hecky is looking for an out and out defensive holding midfielder.

BILLYHIBS
07-07-2019, 09:53 PM
We were linked with Ojo. I have never seen him play but reading up on him he sounded like exactly the type of player we need to provide balance to our midfield.

Natural ability I thought McStay probably shaded it, but overall I thought Ferguson the better player. Despite playing most of his career primarily as a deep midfielder Ferguson still managed to score 18 goals one season, so he had it in him as an attacking threat.
I have been banging on about Hecky revisiting OJo as I think we might be able to come to some sort of “arrangement” with S****horpe but I obviously do not know all the ins and outs
Barry Ferguson played 288 games for Rangers scoring 44 and a further 189 scoring 4 with other teams
Paul McStay played 515 games for Celtic scoring 56 Scotland 76 scoring 6
As you say Fergusons goal scoring record not bad for a DM
Neil Lennon might have hit the nail on the head with Dylan when he said he expected his players to be more”robust”

majorhibs
07-07-2019, 09:54 PM

Oh wow, eh. Laughable other opinions & are the fact you don’t rate him, eh? What you say must all be true then, eh? Link players only not reqd! Cheers for the enlightenment!

LeithMike
07-07-2019, 10:00 PM

I think you are focussing too much on last ditch defending or the final pass and goal. You're right that a player like McGeouch wouldn't be involved in those too often. But, you cannot overlook the role of taking the ball from defence to attack and retaining possession. You cant lose a goal if you have the ball and you cant score a goal if you dont have it. A player like Dylan keeps you in possession when you normally lose it and he uses the ball really wisely. He never just passed it sideways. He drove Hibs forward from deep. I thought he was a fantastic player for Hibs - most notably in his final year when he finally got played in his best position.

jeffers
07-07-2019, 10:02 PM
Oh wow, eh. Laughable other opinions & are the fact you don’t rate him, eh? What you say must all be true then, eh? Link players only not reqd! Cheers for the enlightenment!

Yes I found comparing him to the guy who scored the winner in the World Cup Final laughable. No, I'm giving my opinion, which posters do on a fans message board. Folk can agree or disagree, it makes no odds to me. I said link players weren't essential otherwise every team would have them.

Glad you enjoyed the enlightenment, let me know any other time you'd like my thoughts on a subject.

Eyrie
07-07-2019, 10:04 PM
I'm a McGeough fan, but the fact is that if we signed him tomorrow then we'd still have the same midfield holes in the squad that we do today.

I'd only sign McGeouch if the remaining budget would still allow us to fill those holes.

jeffers
07-07-2019, 10:15 PM
I think you are focussing too much on last ditch defending or the final pass and goal. You're right that a player like McGeouch wouldn't be involved in those too often. But, you cannot overlook the role of taking the ball from defence to attack and retaining possession. You cant lose a goal if you have the ball and you cant score a goal if you dont have it. A player like Dylan keeps you in possession when you normally lose it and he uses the ball really wisely. He never just passed it sideways. He drove Hibs forward from deep. I thought he was a fantastic player for Hibs - most notably in his final year when he finally got played in his best position.

I agree with some of that, retaining possession is definitely a good thing. Where I disagree is that quite often he did pass it sideways and quite often backwards too. It's also not just about last ditch defending it's about being aware, tracking runners from midfield. At times McGeouch switched off and we lost goals because of it.

As I've said many times about McGeouch it was never an issue about his ability for me, it was about him showing more conviction in his play and belief in that ability. For me his best two games for us were against Hearts at ER in his final season, he played more advanced, drove us on and was superb both nights. Too often for me he took the "safe" option.

Unseen work
07-07-2019, 10:16 PM
I'm a McGeough fan, but the fact is that if we signed him tomorrow then we'd still have the same midfield holes in the squad that we do today.

I'd only sign McGeouch if the remaining budget would still allow us to fill those holes.

This In a nutshell.

Undoubtedly a very good player, but he wouldn’t solve the huge fact that we need a player in there with a bit of bite and defensive awareness.

Fwiw I actually think Mallan is better defensively than McGeouch, that’s how much I think Hecky has improved him and his knowledge of the role.

07-07-2019, 10:32 PM

Agree with all of this.

When thinking of Dylan's performances for us I always think of the game we "spanked" Hearts 1-0, the Simon Murray goal. IIRC, thanks to Dylan and SJM in particular we totally bossed them in midfield, their ball retention in tight spaces that night was incredible.

jacomo
07-07-2019, 10:40 PM

I think you’re getting a bit lost in your own straw man argument here. Of course Dylan is not Pirlo!

We need a central midfielder, Dylan was a good central midfielder and knows how to make Hibs play. The only issue worth discussing is his fitness record.

If you’re one of those who will never welcome back a player who has left the club then just say so.

If you can’t see what Dylan brought to the team then that is your issue.

majorhibs
07-07-2019, 11:02 PM
Yes I found comparing him to the guy who scored the winner in the World Cup Final laughable. No, I'm giving my opinion, which posters do on a fans message board. Folk can agree or disagree, it makes no odds to me. I said link players weren't essential otherwise every team would have them.

Glad you enjoyed the enlightenment, let me know any other time you'd like my thoughts on a subject.

Was at few games wi mate & we were disagreeing live about Dylan, I’m a huge fan & mate not so much tho liked him plenty enough, but neither the mate or me I reckon would assume quite as assertively as yerself about any player when we werenae actual seeing him close up, obv. wi your total decisiveness on all things D.M. With Hibs your in better position than likes ae me, particularly on un-reqd “link players” crack on!

jeffers
07-07-2019, 11:05 PM
I think you’re getting a bit lost in your own straw man argument here. Of course Dylan is not Pirlo!

We need a central midfielder, Dylan was a good central midfielder and knows how to make Hibs play. The only issue worth discussing is his fitness record.

If you’re one of those who will never welcome back a player who has left the club then just say so.

If you can’t see what Dylan brought to the team then that is your issue.

I said his contribution to the team was exaggerated IMO. Folk compared him on here to Pirlo and Iniesta, not me. I found it laughable due to their style of play never mind their ability.

Your stance is similar to Lennon's - sign talented players then try and fit them into a team. I'd rather we signed players to fit into a team structure. We need a defensive midfielder, that's not McGeouch. That's the issue worth discussing before even taking into consideration his injury record.

It's got nothing to do with him having left. I wanted Scott Allan back when many on here were slaughtering him, calling him a dirty Hun, claiming we shouldn't sign him because he'd only ever done well in his one season with us. My opinion on McGeouch has been the same throughout his time with us. Another poster on here can vouch for that if he reads this thread, we had many a disagreement during games.

I saw what he brought to the team I just didn't think it merits all the love-in.

jeffers
07-07-2019, 11:16 PM
Was at few games wi mate & we were disagreeing live about Dylan, I’m a huge fan & mate not so much tho liked him plenty enough, but neither the mate or me I reckon would assume quite as assertively as yerself about any player when we werenae actual seeing him close up, obv. wi your total decisiveness on all things D.M. With Hibs your in better position than likes ae me, particularly on un-reqd “link players” crack on!

So going by your logic we should dismiss those who are assertive in their praise of McGeouch because they aren't seeing him close up either (whatever that actually means in this context) ? At the risk of repeating myself, I'm giving my opinion on a fans forum, that's all it is. I'm not claiming anywhere I know better than anyone else and posters have every right to disagree with my opinion, as some clearly are.

But it's good to get your permission to continue posting my views. I can sleep easily now.

FilipinoHibs
07-07-2019, 11:30 PM
So going by your logic we should dismiss those who are assertive in their praise of McGeouch because they aren't seeing him close up either (whatever that actually means in this context) ? At the risk of repeating myself, I'm giving my opinion on a fans forum, that's all it is. I'm not claiming anywhere I know better than anyone else and posters have every right to disagree with my opinion, as some clearly are.

But it's good to get your permission to continue posting my views. I can sleep easily now.

Yes you are not allowed to have a contrarian view here. I like Dylan but I think you made good points.

jeffers
07-07-2019, 11:35 PM
Yes you are not allowed to have a contrarian view here. I like Dylan but I think you made good points.

Cheers. It would be mighty boring on here if everyone agreed with each other.

majorhibs
07-07-2019, 11:35 PM
I said his contribution to the team was exaggerated IMO. Folk compared him on here to Pirlo and Iniesta, not me. I found it laughable due to their style of play never mind their ability.

Your stance is similar to Lennon's - sign talented players then try and fit them into a team. I'd rather we signed players to fit into a team structure. We need a defensive midfielder, that's not McGeouch. That's the issue worth discussing before even taking into consideration his injury record.

It's got nothing to do with him having left. I wanted Scott Allan back when many on here were slaughtering him, calling him a dirty Hun, claiming we shouldn't sign him because he'd only ever done well in his one season with us. My opinion on McGeouch has been the same throughout his time with us. Another poster on here can vouch for that if he reads this thread, we had many a disagreement during games.

I saw what he brought to the team I just didn't think it merits all the love-in.

What a politician ye’d make! What waffle & no goin near questions asked! Imo McGeouch a brilliant player, did a brill job for us in a midfield Scotland was ravin about at the time, personnaly would love to see a player like that back playing for Hibs, ok I’m done back to time for mair of your assertive telling us how it is!

matty_f
07-07-2019, 11:36 PM

You actually are allowed contrarian views, just by definition people will disagree with them.

It would be good if people got to grips with that concept before giving it the “not allowed” nonsense.

jeffers
07-07-2019, 11:43 PM
What a politician ye’d make! What waffle & no goin near questions asked! Imo McGeouch a brilliant player, did a brill job for us in a midfield Scotland was ravin about at the time, personnaly would love to see a player like that back playing for Hibs, ok I’m done back to time for mair of your assertive telling us how it is!

Having read some of your previous posts you are definitely an authority on waffle. But thanks for assertively telling me McGeouch was a brilliant player and did a brill job for us.

majorhibs
07-07-2019, 11:55 PM
Having read some of your previous posts you are definitely an authority on waffle. But thanks for assertively telling me McGeouch was a brilliant player and did a brill job for us.

Cheers for the attention! Imo, McGeouch is a class player, & I loved watching the midfield he co-performed in, especially those last 6 months. But I guess that’s just me, boss. As I said crack on.

Rattler
07-07-2019, 11:55 PM
Maybe, just maybe, if Mark Milligan had been afforded this chance...

MagicSwirlingShip
08-07-2019, 12:28 AM
Maybe, just maybe, if Mark Milligan had been afforded this chance...

Millsy would’ve been on a decent wedge. Perhaps Hecky thinks he can get better for less.

MWHIBBIES
08-07-2019, 06:45 AM

Certainly think we would've won the 2016 league cup final, really missed him. You obviously don't rate him but remember that every time our defenders turn back this season, he would be there, taking it from them and moving it forward instead.

Since452
08-07-2019, 06:52 AM
I'd welcome him back but if he went to Aberdeen i wouldn't be gutted

J-C
08-07-2019, 07:04 AM
Dylan is a very good deep midfielder who was able to hold onto the ball in a tight situation, he had great composure on the ball and always seemed to offer himself to receive a pass, he did the simple basic things well in that pivot role between the CH's and midfield but was sometimes caught out by his lack on any real pace. In a midfield with Dylan you'd still need that hard working player beside him as his all round mobility is suspect, McGinn and Fyvie are 2 players that did that graft, if Dylan came back, we'd need Omeonga or someone similar in there, Mallan and Allan beside Dylan would still have us struggling and that's probably why Heckingbottom hasn't considered him. Ojo or Omeonga are being considered because they have more energy and mobility in the midfield which gives Mallan and Allan the freedom to play their own game, all about balance.

BILLYHIBS
08-07-2019, 07:08 AM
I'd welcome him back but if he went to Aberdeen i wouldn't be gutted

:agree:

This is where I am

Would he get into our team?

Yes

:confused:

DetroitHibs
08-07-2019, 07:28 AM
Dylan won’t reach the standard he did with us when he earned a Scotland call up. I’ll stick my neck out and say he won’t win another Scotland cap from now until the end of his career. Time will tell.

jeffers
08-07-2019, 07:41 AM
Certainly think we would've won the 2016 league cup final, really missed him. You obviously don't rate him but remember that every time our defenders turn back this season, he would be there, taking it from them and moving it forward instead.

I’ll counter your 2016 league cup final with the 2015 Scottish Cup Semi Final which I think we’d have won if he hadn’t been playing.

It’s not that I don’t rate him, I just don’t think he’s as essential as others do. If he passed it forward every time he received the ball I may agree with you but it’s simply not true. Quite often he passed it back to a defender or passed it sideways. I’ll say it again for the last time as I’ve made my point enough times, it’s a genuine defensive midfielder we need (if he can play a bit too all the better) and that’s not McGeouch.

onfire
08-07-2019, 08:06 AM
DM had his chance to stay and didnt, you are right he was a good player - but past tense! If he had signed on again i’d Have been happy but he didnt and left. I’m not convinced his injuries wouldn’t catch up again so could be we are looking elsewhere with that in mind. I’d have thought a fully fit DM Would have been able to get a game for Sunderland. PH will want his own type of player inand could be DM isn’t his cup of coffee.

GreenCastle
08-07-2019, 08:12 AM
What is evident is we need to bring in x2 players who can take the ball from the back into midfield under pressure.

It’s a key role in any team.

MWHIBBIES
08-07-2019, 08:20 AM
I’ll counter your 2016 league cup final with the 2015 Scottish Cup Semi Final which I think we’d have won if he hadn’t been playing.

It’s not that I don’t rate him, I just don’t think he’s as essential as others do. If he passed it forward every time he received the ball I may agree with you but it’s simply not true. Quite often he passed it back to a defender or passed it sideways. I’ll say it again for the last time as I’ve made my point enough times, it’s a genuine defensive midfielder we need (if he can play a bit too all the better) and that’s not McGeouch.

It's not a genuine defensive midfielder we need, it's someone to take the ball from Hanlon and give it to Allan.

What is us losing that game because of McGeouch based on? We absolutely battered them and he played well.

MWHIBBIES
08-07-2019, 08:26 AM
This blanket statement that he couldn't get a game for Sunderland is daft. He couldn't get a game for Celtic (along with Ambrose, Stokes, Commons and Henderson) and it has absolutely no relevance to his ability for get into Hibs team. It's fair enough if PH doesn't want him and has other ideas but it's ridiculous to start questioning Dylan's ability. A brilliant player for Hibs.

jeffers
08-07-2019, 08:32 AM
It's not a genuine defensive midfielder we need, it's someone to take the ball from Hanlon and give it to Allan.

What is us losing that game because of McGeouch based on? We absolutely battered them and he played well.

I disagree we need someone to protect the defence to allow Scott Allan and Mallan to focus on what they are good at. Paul Hanlon is perfectly capable of playing a 15-20 yard pass into Scott Allan. He also managed to get the ball ok in his first season with us where McGeouch missed a decent number of games. Do you genuinely believe a midfield of McGeouch, Allan and Mallan wouldn’t struggle defensively?

Watch their goal. McGeouch was sleeping at the back post allowing Sibbald a free header for their goal.

jeffers
08-07-2019, 08:38 AM
This blanket statement that he couldn't get a game for Sunderland is daft. He couldn't get a game for Celtic (along with Ambrose, Stokes, Commons and Henderson) and it has absolutely no relevance to his ability for get into Hibs team. It's fair enough if PH doesn't want him and has other ideas but it's ridiculous to start questioning Dylan's ability. A brilliant player for Hibs.

It’s not daft, he’s described as a brilliant footballer by many on here, if he was that brilliant it’s not unrealistic to expect him to get a game in the third tier of English football. By the end of the season he couldn’t even make their bench. Celtic are a far better team than Sunderland so it’s no disgrace not getting into their side.

Out of interest why do you think he couldn’t get a game for Sunderland ? I only saw him play once, a 20 or so minute sub appearance, but if it was typical of his other games for them I can see why he didn’t figure more often.

MagicSwirlingShip
08-07-2019, 08:53 AM
I disagree we need someone to protect the defence to allow Scott Allan and Mallan to focus on what they are good at. Paul Hanlon is perfectly capable of playing a 15-20 yard pass into Scott Allan. He also managed to get the ball ok in his first season with us where McGeouch missed a decent number of games. Do you genuinely believe a midfield of McGeouch, Allan and Mallan wouldn’t struggle defensively?

Watch their goal. McGeouch was sleeping at the back post allowing Sibbald a free header for their goal.

Who was protecting the defence when Dylan was last here? We seemed to do not too bad in midfield then?

brog
08-07-2019, 08:57 AM

Dylan played well in that game & we should have won in a canter but he lost Sibbald for their goal. Report below.

And that was confirmed when Falkirk launched their first counter-attack of the second half, ending with Alston delivering an excellent cross and Sibbald muscling ahead of McGeouch to nod past Oxley.

jeffers
08-07-2019, 09:08 AM
Who was protecting the defence when Dylan was last here? We seemed to do not too bad in midfield then?

It worked in the main because we were better going forward than most of our opposition. Still didn’t stop Aberdeen pumping us, conceding 3 and 5 at home to Killie and the Huns respectively. Also the SJM factor shouldn’t be forgotten, he provided much needed dig and drive.

I should also expand on what I’m thinking of when I say defensive midfielder. By that I mean someone to protect the defence but also put in tackles in the middle of the park. Someone to stand up against the thugs of Hearts and Aberdeen and give Scott Brown something to think about.

MagicSwirlingShip
08-07-2019, 09:17 AM
It worked in the main because we were better going forward than most of our opposition. Still didn’t stop Aberdeen pumping us, conceding 3 and 5 at home to Killie and the Huns respectively. Also the SJM factor shouldn’t be forgotten, he provided much needed dig and drive.

I should also expand on what I’m thinking of when I say defensive midfielder. By that I mean someone to protect the defence but also put in tackles in the middle of the park. Someone to stand up against the thugs of Hearts and Aberdeen and give Scott Brown something to think about.

Nice one. Personally I’d rather have Dylan in there, really enjoyed watching him as footballer. Looks like that ship has sailed though unfortunately.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think the role you mention is as important as people like to make out. Put the resources elsewhere and brief young Ben Stirling on the position

Unseen work
08-07-2019, 09:54 AM
For the people saying we done ok defensively last time he was here, we had John McGinn who would do all the chasing, tackling, and make it difficult for opposition midfielders.

We were also playing a 352 which made it a lot more compact in the centre of the park.

CapitalGreen
08-07-2019, 09:57 AM
For the people saying we done ok defensively last time he was here, we had John McGinn who would do all the chasing, tackling, and make it difficult for opposition midfielders.

We were also playing a 352 which made it a lot more compact in the centre of the park.

It's incredible that Dylan got so much game time in his final season considering how much of a passenger he seemingly was.

MagicSwirlingShip
08-07-2019, 10:02 AM

There’s a Hibs.net exaggeration if ever I’ve read one.

The infamous 1 man press

Robbo6-2
08-07-2019, 10:08 AM

The infamous 1 man press

John Mcginn will be a premiership player next season

Mcgeough can't get in a team struggling in league 1.

Says it all really

MagicSwirlingShip
08-07-2019, 10:13 AM
John Mcginn will be a premiership player next season

Mcgeough can't get in a team struggling in league 1.

Says it all really

It says absolutely nothing on the point I was making actually.

Unseen work
08-07-2019, 10:15 AM
It's incredible that Dylan got so much game time in his final season considering how much of a passenger he seemingly was.

Tell me where I said he was a passenger? Iv said on numerous occasions he is a brilliant player, but John McGinn was the enforcer within the midfield. I also said playing 5 across the middle made us more compact and took away from so much onus on McGeouch defensively.

Mcgeouch controlled games for us, but the players in the team allowed him to do so with Ambrose keeping the ball and playing it into him and then the options he had further forward.

If he came back now his game would change as all of a sudden he wouldn’t have what was here before and there would be more of an onus on him to get about the pitch and be good defensively.

Unseen work
08-07-2019, 10:19 AM

The infamous 1 man press

You can say what you want, but McGinn was the midfielder that would do the pressing and get in the oppositions face

My point is without McGinn here who would do that in our current midfield? Nobody. There is the problem as then were asking Dylan, Scotty and Stevie to do it which isn’t what they’re good at. Our midfield wouldn’t have the right balance if that was our midfield and would get run ragged

Craig_HFC
08-07-2019, 10:28 AM
The folk who can't see/didn't see what McGeough brought to our midfield are, imo, the same people who don't rate Sergio Busquets.

I'd love to have Dylan back but I reckon the way Heckingbottom wants us to play will be a lot more physically demanding with constant pressing etc and I'm not sure Dylan would be capable of that which I reckon is why PH isn't interested in bringing him back, even if George Craig & Graeme Mathie have suggested him as a target.

jeffers
08-07-2019, 10:38 AM
The folk who can't see/didn't see what McGeough brought to our midfield are, imo, the same people who don't rate Sergio Busquets.

I'd love to have Dylan back but I reckon the way Heckingbottom wants us to play will be a lot more physically demanding with constant pressing etc and I'm not sure Dylan would be capable of that which I reckon is why PH isn't interested in bringing him back, even if George Craig & Graeme Mathie have suggested him as a target.

Another ridiculous comparison, McGeouch and a multi capped World Cup winner. Compare him with someone of a similar level and I will take your point seriously.

Makes me wonder if our head coach knows anything about football what with all the “Dylan” fan boys on here insisting we should sign him.

Craig_HFC
08-07-2019, 10:42 AM
Another ridiculous comparison, McGeouch and a multi capped World Cup winner. Compare him with someone of a similar level and I will take your point seriously.

Makes me wonder if our head coach knows anything about football what with all the “Dylan” fan boys on here insisting we should sign him.

Not 100% sure you know what 'comparison' means.

Also I never insisted we should sign him, I gave an opinion on why I think Heckingbottom isn't interested in signing him.

jeffers
08-07-2019, 10:47 AM
Not 100% sure you know what 'comparison' means.

Also I never insisted we should sign him, I gave an opinion on why I think Heckingbottom isn't interested in signing him.

I know full well what comparison means.

You may not have personally said we should sign him but a number on here have and also suggested because some of us don’t think he was as great as they do we know nothing about football.

MagicSwirlingShip
08-07-2019, 10:49 AM
You can say what you want, but McGinn was the midfielder that would do the pressing and get in the oppositions face

My point is without McGinn here who would do that in our current midfield? Nobody. There is the problem as then were asking Dylan, Scotty and Stevie to do it which isn’t what they’re good at. Our midfield wouldn’t have the right balance if that was our midfield and would get run ragged

OK - I’ll say what I want. Mcginn wasn’t the only one of our midfield who pressed the other team and “got in there faces”. We pressed as a unit. That’s how a pressing system works.

MWHIBBIES
08-07-2019, 10:52 AM
I know full well what comparison means.

You may not have personally said we should sign him but a number on here have and also suggested because some of us don’t think he was as great as they do we know nothing about football.
You don't know nothing, just less than me :greengrin

jeffers
08-07-2019, 10:57 AM
You don't know nothing, just less than me :greengrin

I’m not sure if that’s an OK comment or a horrendous insult 😜

jeffers
08-07-2019, 11:02 AM
My final post on this thread as I’m getting bored repeating myself so hate to imagine how others feel reading my posts.

I have no ill feelings towards Dylan McGeouch. If he goes to Aberdeen I wish him all the best (unless it’s against us.) If he tears up the league either with them or with any other team I’ll be one of the first to come on here and praise him.

WeeRussell
08-07-2019, 12:01 PM

I think Busquets is world class (whatever that means) and the best in his position. I think McGeough, while very good, was overstated by many Hibs fans when here and that remains the case now he isn't.

Since90+2
08-07-2019, 12:13 PM
Dylan is a fantastic player. If we could afford it I suspect he would be back at the club.

Since90+2
08-07-2019, 12:14 PM

He never compared McGeough to Busquets. You're making things up now to suit your argument.

hibbycraig
08-07-2019, 12:15 PM
The manager doesn't want Dylan back. If he did I'm sure an offer would of been made.

jodjam
08-07-2019, 12:24 PM
My final post on this thread as I’m getting bored repeating myself so hate to imagine how others feel reading my posts.

I have no ill feelings towards Dylan McGeouch. If he goes to Aberdeen I wish him all the best (unless it’s against us.) If he tears up the league either with them or with any other team I’ll be one of the first to come on here and praise him.

Now others know what it’s like sitting next to you at the football ;)

I'm Spartacus
08-07-2019, 12:37 PM
Weird one for me. I 100% want him back BUT i'm saying that not knowing what our brand of football will be this coming season. If he doesn't fit the gaffers vision then we have to back that decision.

jeffers
08-07-2019, 12:53 PM
Now others know what it’s like sitting next to you at the football ;)

:tee hee:

calumhibee1
08-07-2019, 12:53 PM

You do realise when someone says that a player plays like a world class player that they don’t mean they’re at the same level? It’s all to do with what they do well and how they go about doing it, obviously at a lower level but also against lower level opponents.

It’s not that outrageous a concept to say that Rocky has a similar playing style to De Gea or Dylan to Busquets or Allan to De Bruyne etc. It wouldn’t even be ridiculous to use comparisons like that for a Sunday amateur player who clearly bases his game on say Roy Keane. It’s not saying they are carbon copies and every bit as good and I’m sure you know that.

Ozyhibby
08-07-2019, 12:54 PM
It’s a shame we don’t want McGeogh back. He would def improve us. Whoever Heckingbottom plans to bring in must be amazing if he is better than McGeogh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
08-07-2019, 12:55 PM
It’s a shame we don’t want McGeogh back. He would def improve us. Whoever Heckingbottom plans to bring in must be amazing if he is better than McGeogh.

Yup. We need two more midfielders imo. If it was Dylan and a Bartley style player I reckon we’d be pretty well stocked and it would be Mallan and Allan fighting it out for a place, not Dylan.

It doesn’t need to be two Bartley’s that we sign.

green day
08-07-2019, 01:10 PM
I really like McGeouch, and my first thought is I would love him back at ER.

I am sure there have been conversations with Hecky and George Craig etc - telling PH hes a great player, but I am also sure PH would look at the stats and ask questions.

Last season in the Champ? Played 18 times and scored zero goals (not counting the one v Aberdeen in the cup when he got a nosebleed and entered the box)

Only season in the top division? 35 appearances (his most by far in a season for us), played really well......but again no goals.

(I know, I know - scoring goals is not what Dylan is about, but FFS no goals from a man of his talent in the flippin championship !!)

But, ultimately, PH might be thinking that in Scott Allan he has a guy "pulling the strings" and he has other midfielders chipping in with goals (would we drop Mallan for Dylan?), in Boyle and Horgan he has 2 wingers he has to try to fit in, and cant really see where to fit McGeouch in?

We desperately need a ball winning DM, kinda like Bartleys wee brother. So, while I think he has bags of talent, I am just not sure we can fit Dylan in, nor does he need a season on the subs bench.

Smartie
08-07-2019, 01:12 PM
Weird one for me. I 100% want him back BUT i'm saying that not knowing what our brand of football will be this coming season. If he doesn't fit the gaffers vision then we have to back that decision.

I agree.

The 90+2
08-07-2019, 01:14 PM
Dylan back due to a increase in our wage budget from say, last week would sure be a good way of getting the owner off to a good start.

The 90+2
08-07-2019, 01:15 PM
I agree.

Usually I would agree too, I just feel Dylan could be a missing piece of what we have. He’s calmness personified.

erin go bragh
08-07-2019, 02:00 PM
Thought Heckingbottom said we were looking at Dylan .
Class player and for all the posters that didn’t rate him ,,, would you be happy if he signed for Hearts 🤔cause he bossed them in many a derby and I would hate them to get him .

Heisenberg
08-07-2019, 02:03 PM
Thought Heckingbottom said we were looking at Dylan .
Class player and for all the posters that didn’t rate him ,,, would you be happy if he signed for Hearts 🤔cause he bossed them in many a derby and I would hate them to get him .

He bossed them in two derbies at ER. He, like the rest of the team under Lennon, generally shat the bed when they went to Tiny.

Smartie
08-07-2019, 02:18 PM
Usually I would agree too, I just feel Dylan could be a missing piece of what we have. He’s calmness personified.

I love Dylan as a player. More than any other player (even McGinn) I thought we missed him when he didn't play. I don't care about stats, with my own eyes Hibs were a much better team when he was in it.

The point I agree with is that I think we have to back our manager here. He showed a lot during the second half of last season playing with someone else's players but clearly he has his own way of doing things. I'd be surprised if he didn't know a lot about Dylan (I'd be amazed if he wasn't on his radar as manager of previous clubs) and if he doesn't see him playing a part in his plans then I think we have to accept and support that.

I'll no doubt happily chuck it back in his face the first time we have a semi-inept midfield performance right enough.

Diclonius
08-07-2019, 02:31 PM
Has he signed for them yet?

Lago
08-07-2019, 03:31 PM
Has he signed for them yet?

I wish he would hurry up & then this thread could be closed, it's going nowhere.:confused:

BILLYHIBS
08-07-2019, 03:37 PM
I wish he would hurry up & then this thread could be closed, it's going nowhere.:confused:

Aberdeen have up until Wednesday to register him as a “wildcard” for their Europa League tie so hopefully we won’t have to wait much longer :greengrin

keith_darcy
08-07-2019, 04:05 PM
DM was a very good player at Hibs, I don’t think anyone can question that. He was part of possibly the best midfield Hibs have had in my lifetime - all three complimented each other very well and were a joy to watch.

However, he is not a player we need in our squad at the moment for the way PH wants to play. We need a defensive midfielder in the mould of Fernandinho at Man City. Someone who primarily will get about the pitch and break things up, but who is also capable at taking the ball in tight areas and playing it quickly to the more attacking players. Obviously with our budget we aren’t going to get someone of that quality but there must be players out there who do similar jobs in the lower leagues.

Lago
08-07-2019, 04:22 PM
Aberdeen have up until Wednesday to register him as a “wildcard” for their Europa League tie so hopefully we won’t have to wait much longer :greengrin

Let's hope so, rapidly losing the will to live 😒

LeithMike
08-07-2019, 04:25 PM
Paul Hanlon is perfectly capable of playing a 15-20 yard pass into Scott Allan.

Herein lies the problem. Scott Allan is going to have to be playing very deep to collect the ball from Paul Hanlon from 15-20 yards. (I suspect Hanlon's average position is closer to the 18 year box than the halfway line.) That's going to affect Scott's number of goals and assists. Adding McGeouch (or a similar player) might not directly add goals or assists but it would most likely enable Allan to play further forward where he is most dangerous and get more goals and assists, thereby improving the team.

Dr_Regal
08-07-2019, 04:35 PM
Herein lies the problem. Scott Allan is going to have to be playing very deep to collect the ball from Paul Hanlon from 15-20 yards. (I suspect Hanlon's average position is closer to the 18 year box than the halfway line.) That's going to affect Scott's number of goals and assists. Adding McGeouch (or a similar player) might not directly add goals or assists but it would most likely enable Allan to play further forward where he is most dangerous and get more goals and assists, thereby improving the team.

I think Paul Hanlon is going struggle for a starting spot.

04Sauzee
08-07-2019, 04:37 PM

Porteous and Jackson?

Golden Bear
08-07-2019, 04:40 PM
Let's hope so, rapidly losing the will to live 😒

:greengrin

It's getting like that isn't it.

PH91
08-07-2019, 04:48 PM

This is the first time in a while his position is under serious threat. He absolutely shone, along with others, in 17/18 to the point i thought it was ridiculous he never got capped. He really regressed last year, however, and started to show some of the traits he seemed to have left behind e.g. poor distribution (often playing long passes either poorly or that were never on) and diving in and selling himself easily. Not sure what the reason is behind this, injury, change in formation (352 really suited his style), loss of confidence? I hope he can re-capture his previous form this season or he might end up out the team for a spell.

blackpoolhibs
08-07-2019, 05:46 PM
I think we are going to have a really good side this season if Dylan McGeouch couldnt fit into it.