PDA

View Full Version : Dylan McGeouch to Aberdeen?

Pages : 1 [2]

MagicSwirlingShip
08-07-2019, 05:55 PM
Herein lies the problem. Scott Allan is going to have to be playing very deep to collect the ball from Paul Hanlon from 15-20 yards. (I suspect Hanlon's average position is closer to the 18 year box than the halfway line.) That's going to affect Scott's number of goals and assists. Adding McGeouch (or a similar player) might not directly add goals or assists but it would most likely enable Allan to play further forward where he is most dangerous and get more goals and assists, thereby improving the team.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

This. The very same problem we had with Mallan playing deep most of last season, we couldny regularly get him in game affecting postions further up the pitch.

3pm
08-07-2019, 05:57 PM
I think we are going to have a really good side this season if Dylan McGeouch couldnt fit into it.

Aye, exactly.

The 90+2
08-07-2019, 06:00 PM
I love Dylan as a player. More than any other player (even McGinn) I thought we missed him when he didn't play. I don't care about stats, with my own eyes Hibs were a much better team when he was in it.

The point I agree with is that I think we have to back our manager here. He showed a lot during the second half of last season playing with someone else's players but clearly he has his own way of doing things. I'd be surprised if he didn't know a lot about Dylan (I'd be amazed if he wasn't on his radar as manager of previous clubs) and if he doesn't see him playing a part in his plans then I think we have to accept and support that.

I'll no doubt happily chuck it back in his face the first time we have a semi-inept midfield performance right enough.

Yeah I’m in full agreement mate.

MWHIBBIES
08-07-2019, 06:11 PM
I think Paul Hanlon is going struggle for a starting spot.

What is that based on?

Pedantic_Hibee
08-07-2019, 06:37 PM
Dylan McGeouch is a fantastic little footballer. The end.

Skol
08-07-2019, 06:41 PM
Could Hanlon do the Matty Jack conversion?

Pedantic_Hibee
08-07-2019, 06:50 PM

Doubt it, he doesn’t even smoke.

BILLYHIBS
08-07-2019, 07:12 PM
Met Matty Jack once in the Cask Broughton Street he was drinking fresh orange, vodka and fresh orange

He did not like Hearts or Dundee United 😁

Billy Whizz
08-07-2019, 07:28 PM

He’s a former midfielder

jacomo
08-07-2019, 07:29 PM
DM was a very good player at Hibs, I don’t think anyone can question that. He was part of possibly the best midfield Hibs have had in my lifetime - all three complimented each other very well and were a joy to watch.

However, he is not a player we need in our squad at the moment for the way PH wants to play. We need a defensive midfielder in the mould of Fernandinho at Man City. Someone who primarily will get about the pitch and break things up, but who is also capable at taking the ball in tight areas and playing it quickly to the more attacking players. Obviously with our budget we aren’t going to get someone of that quality but there must be players out there who do similar jobs in the lower leagues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we are all agreed we won’t be signing Fernandinho.

Why don’t we sign someone who isn’t as good but can play in a similar position and is within our budget?

How about... Dylan McGeouch?

Deansy
08-07-2019, 08:12 PM
Hecky, get the finger oot - BRING DYLAN BACK before he makes a terrible mistake !!

PH91
08-07-2019, 08:29 PM
I think we are all agreed we won’t be signing Fernandinho.

Why don’t we sign someone who isn’t as good but can play in a similar position and is within our budget?

How about... Dylan McGeouch?

I took that as meaning someone who is as good off the ball as he is on it and has better energy than mcgeouch to get about the pitch. No doubt he is brilliant on the ball but we have lots of players who are good on the ball, we need someone who really gets about the pitch well and has good physicality. Its the position we have yet to address since mcginn left and i expect hibs to bring in a top earner to play there. Seems like ojo was the main target, we will have to see if that comes to fruition or if we bring in someone else.

I would take mcgeouch over mallan as i personally think he is a better player but hibs have spent money on mallan, he is never injured and has years to go on his contract so i cant see him not being a starter this season. And i dont think mcgeouch would come to not be a regular starter.

Heisenberg
08-07-2019, 09:16 PM
Aberdeen have just let a midfielder go on loan and Sunderland are close to signing a new midfielder. McGeouch to Aberdeen before their Euro deadline seems a certainty.

hfc rd
08-07-2019, 09:18 PM
Aberdeen have just let a midfielder go on loan and Sunderland are close to signing a new midfielder. McGeouch to Aberdeen before their Euro deadline seems a certainty.

Wasn’t the Euro deadline this past Friday?

They are playing this Thursday

BILLYHIBS
08-07-2019, 09:19 PM

They are allowed one “wildcard” must be signed by Wednesday

Heisenberg
08-07-2019, 09:20 PM

They get till a day or two before the game to make one addition to their squad I think.

majorhibs
08-07-2019, 09:35 PM
I think we are going to have a really good side this season if Dylan McGeouch couldnt fit into it.

Perfect simplicity, there! Ower many of the expert mgrs heeds on this thread, but I’m sure they’ll find a theory or reasoning to explain why they’ve got it & the rest just “don’t “

3pm
08-07-2019, 10:04 PM
aberdeen have just let a midfielder go on loan and sunderland are close to signing a new midfielder. Mcgeouch to aberdeen before their euro deadline seems a certainty.

ffs.

Hibs4185
08-07-2019, 10:12 PM
Has Efe signed for anyone? I always thought he was like an extra man in midfield and made things happen when he strolled out of defence!

Would love him back!

04Sauzee
08-07-2019, 10:12 PM

Not saying it won't happen but Frank Ross only played a couple of times for Aberdeen last season

The Wireless
08-07-2019, 11:07 PM
An interesting suggestion. Hanlon played Centre Mid as a youth up to the age of 16 and has the football intelligence certainly to play this role. It is certainly not the daftest
Idea I have heard.

BILLYHIBS
08-07-2019, 11:10 PM
An interesting suggestion. Hanlon played Centre Mid as a youth up to the age of 16 and has the football intelligence certainly to play this role. It is certainly not the daftest
suggestion I have heard.:flag:

Steven Whittaker?

:dunno:

cabbageandribs1875
08-07-2019, 11:48 PM
Dear Hecky, make Dylan your next signing, or else

don't ask questions,just do it

Robbo6-2
09-07-2019, 08:09 AM
Remember Efe playing centre mid away to Killie.

There is a reason why centre halfs can't play centre mid.

EVENTUALLY
09-07-2019, 08:29 AM

There is a reason why centre halfs can't play centre mid.

Daz couldn't.
Some C/H's are just not technically sound enough to participate in a pass building defence.
Horses for courses or formations if you like. I like to see players played in their most comfortable positions, playing to their strengths and playing with confidence and assurance.

eastterrace
09-07-2019, 09:10 AM
U

There is a reason why centre halfs can't play centre mid. yes was at that game and he had a total nightmare first half till he went back to right back second half.

The 90+2
10-07-2019, 11:13 AM
Jack Ross has confirmed that Dylan is staying down south. Good luck to him.

southern hibby
10-07-2019, 11:30 AM

Maybe just Maybe, he’s as desperate to sign for us as some are as desperate for him to sign for us. Could be why he never signed for Aberdeen.

GGTTH

jeffers
10-07-2019, 11:42 AM
Maybe just Maybe, he’s as desperate to sign for us as some are as desperate for him to sign for us. Could be why he never signed for Aberdeen.

GGTTH

The reports say the option to sign for another year at Sunderland was his as opposed to the suggestion that they did so in order that they could get a fee for him. So sounds like he wants to give it another go down there.

Diclonius
10-07-2019, 12:01 PM

Good. Tough luck McInnes.

Heisenberg
10-07-2019, 12:02 PM

Richard Gordon said on the radio last night that Sunderland had accepted a bid from Aberdeen for him. I’d guess/hope this was before the article from Ross/McGeouch came out saying he was going to stay and try and make it work with Sunderland.

Springbank
10-07-2019, 12:05 PM
I reckon this is good news.

I am one of those who rated Dylan as a better footballer than John McGinn (loved them both, but Dylan was my favourite in the 2016 team)

I'd love to see the wee man do really well, he gave us Hibees the best footballing experience of our lives, so he deserves all positive vibes

I personally thought Aberdeen would have been an enormous backward step for him - football wise and career wise. Settling for robust industrial hoofball.

I'd love to see him do well at Sunderland in 2019/20, do himself justice there, to kick on, and then maybe back at Easter Road in his late 20s

Glad it appears he's not being "lost" to Aberdeen though

Lago
10-07-2019, 01:06 PM
Another season sitting on the bench then.

erin go bragh
10-07-2019, 01:42 PM
Seen this tweeted just now by that agent Scotland
#Aberdeen have had a £225,000 bid accepted for Dylan McGeouch, don't believe it's a new bid though, stumbling block is wages, McGeouch is on £8k per week and would drop around 50% of his salary, if Sunderland waive the fee the Dons could use the money for a signing on fee.

yonder1875
10-07-2019, 01:45 PM
#Aberdeen have had a £225,000 bid accepted for Dylan McGeouch, don't believe it's a new bid though, stumbling block is wages, McGeouch is on £8k per week and would drop around 50% of his salary, if Sunderland waive the fee the Dons could use the money for a signing on fee.

Lots and lots of guesswork with this Twitter account.

04Sauzee
10-07-2019, 04:16 PM
I would have though Sunderland triggered the 1 year extension to his contract to either play him or command a transfer fee for him

The 90+2
10-07-2019, 04:36 PM
I would have though Sunderland triggered the 1 year extension to his contract to either play him or command a transfer fee for him

Other way about. It was Dylan who triggered it.

04Sauzee
10-07-2019, 04:37 PM
Other way about. It was Dylan who triggered it.

Think it depends on which report you read? Seems a strange one and being reported differently across a couple of platforms

Since452
10-07-2019, 04:46 PM
If i was Dylan I'd take out a restraining order against McInness. Always sniffing about him.

LeithMike
10-07-2019, 05:24 PM
Sounds like it might not be over? DM activates extension to protect wage meaning Sunderland might have to pay him off if he doesn't feature in their plans.

Stokesy's on fire
10-07-2019, 05:26 PM
He will stay where he is now

Greenbeard
11-07-2019, 05:09 PM
He will stay where he is now
....and be loaned out.

Stokesy's on fire
11-07-2019, 08:01 PM
....and be loaned out.

Hopefully to us

hibbyfraelibby
11-07-2019, 08:06 PM
Hopefully to us

...for 2 years.

Brooster
11-07-2019, 11:52 PM
Another season sitting on the bench then.

21 appearances, 9 from the bench. That means he started more games than he was on the bench but don't let that get in your way.

bigwheel
12-07-2019, 03:49 AM
21 appearances, 9 from the bench. That means he started more games than he was on the bench but don't let that get in your way.

Tbh. It also means there were more games in the season that he didn’t get a game than he did.....injuries included ...

PH91
12-07-2019, 07:30 AM

12 starts and 9 sub appearances in a 55 game season isn't a good return. Maybe with cattermole leaving he thinks he might get more of an opportunity this season.

CapitalGreen
12-07-2019, 07:48 AM

That’s not correct, there was another 13 instances where he was on the bench but didn’t come on.

He made 21 starts in all competitions last season and was named on the bench 22 times. Of those 22 times on the bench, he came on as a sub 9 times.

Vault Boy
12-07-2019, 07:57 AM
That’s not correct, there was another 13 instances where he was on the bench but didn’t come on.

He made 21 starts in all competitions last season and was named on the bench 22 times. Of those 22 times on the bench, he came on as a sub 9 times. But don't let that get in your way.

Had to make that addition, but well played Mythbuster.👏

Springbank
12-07-2019, 07:59 AM
Sounds like it might not be over? DM activates extension to protect wage meaning Sunderland might have to pay him off if he doesn't feature in their plans.

Any agent doing his or her job would have advised to activate this clause.

FilipinoHibs
12-07-2019, 09:55 AM
The reports say the option to sign for another year at Sunderland was his as opposed to the suggestion that they did so in order that they could get a fee for him. So sounds like he wants to give it another go down there.

Another year a double the wages at least he was getting from us.

Smartie
12-07-2019, 09:55 AM

Not if he had a new club waiting in the wings promising to pay Dylan a handsome signing on fee directly that would likely be bigger than any transfer fee or pay off from Sunderland.

FilipinoHibs
12-07-2019, 10:00 AM

He will be on bench if stays. Re-signing could have been triggered by club to make sure they get something for him. But getting off books means they save £400k. May yet go Aberdeen.

Brooster
12-07-2019, 12:44 PM

He made 21 starts in all competitions last season and was named on the bench 22 times. Of those 22 times on the bench, he came on as a sub 9 times.

Fair point. Also a fair point about Cattermole leaving. I watched them play in the same team against Southend and it was obvious it wasnt a good fit having them both in the same starting 11.

Dav1986
12-07-2019, 04:51 PM
I know full well what comparison means.

You may not have personally said we should sign him but a number on here have and also suggested because some of us don’t think he was as great as they do we know nothing about football.

Looking through some of your posts on this thread, it seems like you do know nothing about football! :na na:

500miles
12-07-2019, 05:08 PM
Wouldn't be unlike Scottish football if we picked up Aberdeens 1st choice target after they nipped in for ours.

Steve20
12-07-2019, 05:43 PM
Wouldn't be unlike Scottish football if we picked up Aberdeens 1st choice target after they nipped in for ours.

Probably more likely that they get both.

“An offer he couldn’t refuse” getting used for Aberdeen taking our first choice target. Basically we wouldn’t match them. Are we happy to just accept them being a bigger club than us? I have no doubt if we go head to head for Dylan too that they will make the better offer.

Time Hibs decided if we want to make an impact in this league or just exist and do nothing.

jeffers
12-07-2019, 05:46 PM
Looking through some of your posts on this thread, it seems like you do know nothing about football! :na na:

Thanks for your input Sir Alex.

500miles
12-07-2019, 05:53 PM

“An offer he couldn’t refuse” getting used for Aberdeen taking our first choice target. Basically we wouldn’t match them. Are we happy to just accept them being a bigger club than us? I have no doubt if we go head to head for Dylan too that they will make the better offer.

Time Hibs decided if we want to make an impact in this league or just exist and do nothing.

Those who know him suggested Dylan was much more tempted by a move to us than a move to Aberdeen. It was Hecky that had other plans.

Aberdeen also have European football and a few years of 2nd place prize money.

Paloschi
12-07-2019, 09:48 PM
Dylan is a brilliant player but he chose to leave us and that turned out to be a bad move. He is extremely injury prone and I am happy Hecky is making his own judgement.

tonyrougier123
13-07-2019, 01:24 AM
Dylan is a brilliant player but he chose to leave us and that turned out to be a bad move. He is extremely injury prone and I am happy Hecky is making his own judgement.

👍👍

ian cruise
13-07-2019, 02:48 AM

The offer he couldn't refuse parts says enough for me not to be bothered if we lose out on Ojo. Just because we have the money to match Aberdeen's offer doesn't mean we should. We will have a value wage wise we think he's worth (and bare in mind he agreed to previously when he and his agent led us to believe that he was available). If Aberdeen want to pay over and above and us matching that cost us one or two weeks there quality players then he's not worth it. We're still a few players light squad wise.

hibbyfraelibby
13-07-2019, 09:04 AM
The offer he couldn't refuse parts says enough for me not to be bothered if we lose out on Ojo. Just because we have the money to match Aberdeen's offer doesn't mean we should. We will have a value wage wise we think he's worth (and bare in mind he agreed to previously when he and his agent led us to believe that he was available). If Aberdeen want to pay over and above and us matching that cost us one or two weeks there quality players then he's not worth it. We're still a few players light squad wise.

The original OJO deal saw us getting him for nothing. That changed and he was then going to cost us £125k which takes a huge chunk out of our recruitment budget that was maybe destined elsewhere. That money is now back in play for further recruitment and a message has been sent to agents that we wont over pay so dont try playing us off against other teams to squeeze more out of us. The RP philosophy is alive and well under Wee Ron's watch

Spike Mandela
13-07-2019, 09:09 AM
The original OJO deal saw us getting him for nothing. That changed and he was then going to cost us £125k which takes a huge chunk out of our recruitment budget that was maybe destined elsewhere. That money is now back in play for further recruitment and a message has been sent to agents that we wont over pay so dont try playing us off against other teams to squeeze more out of us. The RP philosophy is alive and well under Wee Ron's watch
Surely the message to agents is to use Hibs as a handy tool to get money for their player out of others. Ojo's agent has done his job superbly.

jacomo
13-07-2019, 01:00 PM

Yeah, everyone knows it’s all about the transfer window these days, the actual season is just the stuff that happens in between.

As Edward Woodward proved when he won the race to sign Alexis Sanchez.

CapitalGreen
13-07-2019, 04:22 PM
I wonder if anyone who watched that today still thinks Dylan (or a Dylan type) isn’t needed in our midfield. Nearly every time the centre backs received the ball it was launched forward. No point in playing the likes of Mallan and Allan if we are just going to bypass them and go long, we were crying out for someone to take the ball off them and link the play with our more creative types.

Hibs90
13-07-2019, 04:22 PM
I wonder if anyone who watched that today still thinks Dylan (or a Dylan type) isn’t needed in our midfield. Nearly every time the centre backs received the ball it was launched forward. No point in playing the likes of Mallan and Allan if we are just going to bypass them and go long, we were crying out for someone to take the ball off them and link the play with our more creative types.

Spot on.

mentalhibee
13-07-2019, 04:26 PM

Our manager seemingly doesn’t rate him, pretty concerned by that to be honest.

Callum_62
13-07-2019, 04:39 PM
I wonder if anyone who watched that today still thinks Dylan (or a Dylan type) isn’t needed in our midfield. Nearly every time the centre backs received the ball it was launched forward. No point in playing the likes of Mallan and Allan if we are just going to bypass them and go long, we were crying out for someone to take the ball off them and link the play with our more creative types.I haven't seen anyone say we have a complete midfield. The opposite infact

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

CapitalGreen
13-07-2019, 04:45 PM
I haven't seen anyone say we have a complete midfield. The opposite infact

I never said anyone said we had a complete midfield. However, a number of people on this thread said we didn’t need Dylan and his contribution was overrated.

Eyrie
13-07-2019, 06:00 PM
I never said anyone said we had a complete midfield. However, a number of people on this thread said we didn’t need Dylan and his contribution was overrated.

The point being raised isn't whether McGeouch is a good player, it's whether he is what's missing from our midfield. Sign McGeouch and we'd still need to fill that hole with a grafter for balance.

The 90+2
13-07-2019, 06:01 PM
We should be doing absolutely everything possible to bring in McGeough and if that includes begging then ****ing beg too.

SquashedFrogg
13-07-2019, 06:02 PM
Our manager seemingly doesn’t rate him, pretty concerned by that to be honest.

Would love to hear how you've come to that conclusion.

S4uzee
13-07-2019, 06:05 PM
Would love to hear how you've come to that conclusion.

Did he not say that McGeouch was a player that we looked at but not interested?

Very concerning if he doesn’t want McGeouch but delighted to get James and newell in

Callum_62
13-07-2019, 06:10 PM

Very concerning if he doesn’t want McGeouch but delighted to get James and newell inMaybe Dylans wages were above our limit?

Many reasons why we wouldnt be "interested"

SquashedFrogg
13-07-2019, 06:12 PM

Very concerning if he doesn’t want McGeouch but delighted to get James and newell in

I've never heard him say he doesn't rate him though. There could be a range of reasons why he's 'not interested'.

Wages, other targets, style of play etc.

To make up stuff about him not rating him is quite funny though.

CapitalGreen
13-07-2019, 06:14 PM
The point being raised isn't whether McGeouch is a good player, it's whether he is what's missing from our midfield. Sign McGeouch and we'd still need to fill that hole with a grafter for balance.

Which is what I’m saying in my post above, I’m not sure anyone could have watched that today and not thought we missed a Dylan type to take the ball off the defence instead of the long aimless hoofs upfield we were subjected to.

Springbank
14-07-2019, 06:24 AM
Maybe Dylans wages were above our limit?

Many reasons why we wouldnt be "interested"

One Dylan mcgeough would be worth Newell & James's wages combined and I'd rather watch a hibs team with Dylan mcgeough in it every day of the week

Centre Hawf
14-07-2019, 06:35 AM
One Dylan mcgeough would be worth Newell & James's wages combined and I'd rather watch a hibs team with Dylan mcgeough in it every day of the week

We constantly hear stories about how Hearts spend silly money on a Naismith or someone else, usually they have a massive impact in their team and their season as a whole.

Aberdeen consistently for the last 6/7 years have spent more than us for the star signings they want, which we're usually also linked with, and again they tend to have massive impacts on their season which includes finishing above us and beating us in a Semi Final of the Scottish Cup.

I'd LOVE it if we just finally broke the purse strings a bit and signed a player on what would be above our wage packet and got a player in. Especially if they're someone like Dylan who will no doubt be a huge player for us.

There comes a point where you have to speculate to accumulate and we need to knock down the door to get into the top 3 or else we'll be a mid table club again for years until the next golden generation or Stubbs' Squad comes along for the fleeting 18 month/2 year where we might win a trophy or get far into Europe.

green day
14-07-2019, 07:54 AM
We constantly hear stories about how Hearts spend silly money on a Naismith or someone else, usually they have a massive impact in their team and their season as a whole.

Aberdeen consistently for the last 6/7 years have spent more than us for the star signings they want, which we're usually also linked with, and again they tend to have massive impacts on their season which includes finishing above us and beating us in a Semi Final of the Scottish Cup.

I'd LOVE it if we just finally broke the purse strings a bit and signed a player on what would be above our wage packet and got a player in. Especially if they're someone like Dylan who will no doubt be a huge player for us.

There comes a point where you have to speculate to accumulate and we need to knock down the door to get into the top 3 or else we'll be a mid table club again for years until the next golden generation or Stubbs' Squad comes along for the fleeting 18 month/2 year where we might win a trophy or get far into Europe.

Its true that Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts spend more than us.

And, to be honest I would love it too !!

However I dont want us to spend money we dont have - i.e. If Ron wants to pump in the cash, fine - no loans or any other pish that puts us back in the mire like the late 80s.

greenlex
14-07-2019, 07:58 AM

He said that before the Ojo was kyboshed. Might be back looking at him again.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 08:25 AM
I've no idea if McGeouch is a serious option or not but if he is we should be doing everything we can to make it happen.

Taking the emotional side of things out of it for a second with all the legend/Scottish Cup stuff (which is true but isn't a reason in itself for bringing back a former player) he is genuinely one of the best players I've watched at Hibs.

He oozed class in the majority of games he played for us and was an absolute pleasure to watch. I'd love to see him back with us and I'd be disappointed if the management and recruitment teams aren't doing everything possible to make it happen.

jeffers
14-07-2019, 09:32 AM

And if we do that and the player misses a large part of the season through injury, what then ?

Winston Ingram
14-07-2019, 11:34 AM

Aberdeen have some idiot millionaire pumping his own cash into them.

We don’t have a millionaire who’s prepared to do that so unless we have a death wish, it isn’t going happen and rightly so.

I don’t think them having a millionaire backer makes them bigger than us. It just means they have a millionaire. We averaged 3k more in attendance and are already 3k ahead of them in ST sales.

The 90+2
14-07-2019, 11:36 AM

We don’t have a millionaire who’s prepared to do that so unless we have a death wish, it isn’t going happen and rightly so.

I don’t think them having a millionaire backer makes them bigger than us. It just means they have a millionaire. We averaged 3k more in attendance and are already 3k ahead of them in ST sales.

They also have sponsorship, which helps, obviously.

weecounty hibby
14-07-2019, 11:44 AM
They also have sponsorship, which helps, obviously.

We have 3,000 more fans per week than them which helps, obviously. The main reason as pointed out to you above is the millionaire benefactor handing them cash. We don't have that so we won't put ourselves at risk. I have said it already today, their strategy is not a long term one. For evidence of it not working see what happened at Gretna, Motherwell X 2, Dundee, Hearts, Dundee Utd for examples of what happens when owners plough money in and then stip

marinello59
14-07-2019, 11:49 AM

We aren’t talking about a Russian oligarch here though, his pockets aren’t that deep.:greengrin
In order to attract a significantly better player than clubs like Hibs and Aberdeen can currently afford would take a massive amount of extra dosh. If we buy smart we should be able to counter any small financial advantage they have.

Centre Hawf
14-07-2019, 12:05 PM
And if we do that and the player misses a large part of the season through injury, what then ?

Thank god you're allowed to sign more than one player.

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2019, 12:22 PM

What if he scores the goal that gets us into Europe, or the winner in the Scottish cup final?

SideBurns
14-07-2019, 12:22 PM
We aren’t talking about a Russian oligarch here though, his pockets aren’t that deep.:greengrin
In order to attract a significantly better player than clubs like Hibs and Aberdeen can currently afford would take a massive amount of extra dosh. If we buy smart we should be able to counter any small financial advantage they have.

If it's true that Gordon is focussed on investment in the Academy, then that is good news. Whatever the relative financial positions of Hibs and our nearest competitors, it isn't sustainable for a club of our size to continue trying to build a first team squad just through buying players.

In the last 10 years, i can only think of Porteous coming through the ranks and establishing himself in the first team. Others have came in, showed promise, then faded away to eventually play their football at a lower level. It has been a huge failure at the club in recent times. Hopefully the likes of Murray, Shaw & Campbell will reverse that trend.

The 90+2
14-07-2019, 12:24 PM
If it's true that Gordon is focussed on investment in the Academy, then that is good news. Whatever the relative financial positions of Hibs and our nearest competitors, it isn't sustainable for a club of our size to continue trying to build a first team squad just through buying players.

In the last 10 years, i can only think of Porteous coming through the ranks and establishing himself in the first team. Others have came in, showed promise, then faded away to eventually play their football at a lower level. It has been a huge failure at the club in recent times. Hopefully the likes of Murray, Shaw & Campbell will reverse that trend.

Wotherspoon has played at the same or higher level since he left.

jeffers
14-07-2019, 12:30 PM
What if he scores the goal that gets us into Europe, or the winner in the Scottish cup final?

And what if he misses the end of the season and can't play in the final ? I'm not suggesting we shouldn't break the budget for a player we deem worth it (we did it when we brought back Stokes.) I just don't want us to gamble on a player with a history of missing a number of games through injury. Hearts are taking that gamble with Naismith, he was probably their best player when he played, but was out injured for a good part of the season and they were garbage without him.

SideBurns
14-07-2019, 12:51 PM
Wotherspoon has played at the same or higher level since he left.

Forgot about Spoony. Still a poor return on 10 years of youth development (I think Hanlon made his debut in 2008?).

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2019, 01:02 PM
And what if he misses the end of the season and can't play in the final ? I'm not suggesting we shouldn't break the budget for a player we deem worth it (we did it when we brought back Stokes.) I just don't want us to gamble on a player with a history of missing a number of games through injury. Hearts are taking that gamble with Naismith, he was probably their best player when he played, but was out injured for a good part of the season and they were garbage without him.

We would never sign anyone if we worried about them getting injured?

jeffers
14-07-2019, 01:05 PM
We would never sign anyone if we worried about them getting injured?

My original reply was to the poster who mentioned McGeouch, but re-reading his he did actually say someone like him, not him specifically. So I'm actually agreeing with both of you :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2019, 01:07 PM
My original reply was to the poster who mentioned McGeouch, but re-reading his he did actually say someone like him, not him specifically. So I'm actually agreeing with both of you :greengrin

:greengrin

FilipinoHibs
14-07-2019, 01:56 PM

But not sustainable. A millionaire will only blow so much of his fortune unless he his an idiot. In either case it will eventually stop.

James310
14-07-2019, 02:32 PM
McGeough is wasting his time at Sunderland, he was playing for Scotland 12 months ago and playing some great football. Now he is a bit part player at a League 2 club. I guess the wages help.

Since90+2
14-07-2019, 02:39 PM
McGeough is wasting his time at Sunderland, he was playing for Scotland 12 months ago and playing some great football. Now he is a bit part player at a League 2 club. I guess the wages help.

Sunderland are League 1 not League 2.

James310
14-07-2019, 03:59 PM
Sunderland are League 1 not League 2.

I am still in old money, yes League 1. Still not a place for someone who was playing international football 12 months ago to be.

Winston Ingram
14-07-2019, 04:03 PM

I never said they were but it’s enough to put an extra couple of grand a week on what we can afford which is what has made all the difference Ojo’s move.

Iggy Pope
14-07-2019, 08:42 PM
I am still in old money, yes League 1. Still not a place for someone who was playing international football 12 months ago to be.

League 1 will be packed with internationals of some sort my friend.

Stokesy's on fire
14-07-2019, 08:51 PM
I never said they were but it’s enough to put an extra couple of grand a week on what we can afford which is what has made all the difference Ojo’s move.

They wanted Scott Allan remember...and we got him because we paid enough to convince him Hibernian was the place to be.

Here’s Lucy!
14-07-2019, 09:28 PM
They wanted Scott Allan remember...and we got him because we paid enough to convince him Hibernian was the place to be.

Wrong!

Scotty came back, not just for the money, but because he knew home is where the heart is.

If we had to entice a player financially, like Aberdeen have just done with Judas, then imo, we are better off without that player.

:flag:

Winston Ingram
14-07-2019, 09:41 PM

Did they?

Even if they did how do you know what we offered and what they offered?

And with Allan you’re comparing apples with oranges. It’s a completely different situation. Allan has only ever really done well at one club and that’s here. He needs to get his career back on track. Ojo did well at S****horpe and was weighing up offers. He had zero connection with either club and went for the most money.

grunt
07-01-2020, 08:30 PM
https://twitter.com/AberdeenFC/status/1214659963785756672?s=20

BILLYHIBS
07-01-2020, 08:33 PM
https://twitter.com/AberdeenFC/status/1214659963785756672?s=20

:wtf:

Hibeesmad
07-01-2020, 08:34 PM
Signed until summer 2022

Pretty Boy
07-01-2020, 08:35 PM
Signed until summer 2022

A technically sound and talented midfielder might be a priority for us by then......

B.H.F.C
07-01-2020, 08:37 PM
Pretty gutted he’s went there to be honest.

The Baldmans Comb
07-01-2020, 08:56 PM
Fresh start for what is a high quality player at least in the Scottish context and no great surprise he went to Aberdeen.

Proven midfield players of that ability don't come up very often and he is far better than what we have in our current midfield so if Hibs werent in for him then you would have to ask yourself why.

I am sure they would have been and could easily have lost out on the size of the signing on fee or an inability to move some of the excess dross on first of all.

Good luck to Dylan as he owes Hibs nought and is joining a decent team with probable playing time in abundance as he gives Aberdeen an option in his style of play that they just don't have.

blackpoolhibs
07-01-2020, 09:28 PM
I'm gutted at this, he's a very very good player in Scottish terms, and we don't have anywhere near enough of them types at Easter Road.

:boo hoo:

PH91
07-01-2020, 09:51 PM
McGeouch is a classy player who I would have loved to get back but I think Ross will be after a midfielder with more physicality than McGeouch and we have a limited budget. We are very lightweight in the middle of the park and he wouldn't change that.

Don't think his injury record under Ross was good either so that probably also came into his thinking.

Percy Vere
07-01-2020, 09:56 PM
It’s a pity but I agree that we need something different to Mcgeogh.
Also don’t think he’d be as effective without SJM beside him.
More aggressive ball winner required please.

Crab apple
07-01-2020, 09:58 PM
McGeouch is a classy player who I would have loved to get back but I think Ross will be after a midfielder with more physicality than McGeouch and we have a limited budget. We are very lightweight in the middle of the park and he wouldn't change that.

Don't think his injury record under Ross was good either so that probably also came into his thinking.

PH *****ed the entire transfer budget in the summer and gave us a badly unbalanced squad. We’ll suffer from this for a wee while yet and I doubt McGeouch was ever a realistic prospect this window because of the budget situation.

JimBHibees
07-01-2020, 09:59 PM
I'm gutted at this, he's a very very good player in Scottish terms, and we don't have anywhere near enough of them types at Easter Road.

:boo hoo:

Agree a player who would instantly lift the club by signing. Aberdeen signing him permanently is a huge blow imo. Time for Ron to pony up as Livi game showed how poor we actually are. Don't believe Ross wouldn't have wanted him given he signed him not long ago. This season has been a sleepwalk in to mediocrity and needs sorted pronto.

Percy Vere
07-01-2020, 10:02 PM
It’s a pity but I agree that we need something different to Mcgeogh.
Also don’t think he’d be as effective without SJM beside him.
More aggressive ball winner required please.

MWHIBBIES
07-01-2020, 10:24 PM
Strange how many think he's struggle without McGinn. Guess the crowds were poor the season he was brilliant without McGinn though. Doubt many actually seen it.

Really disappointed he's joined a direct rival. We really must be after someone good if we've turned him down.

The Wireless
07-01-2020, 10:31 PM
To
Fresh start for what is a high quality player at least in the Scottish context and no great surprise he went to Aberdeen.

Proven midfield players of that ability don't come up very often and he is far better than what we have in our current midfield so if Hibs werent in for him then you would have to ask yourself why.

I am sure they would have been and could easily have lost out on the size of the signing on fee or an inability to move some of the excess dross on first of all.

Good luck to Dylan as he owes Hibs nought and is joining a decent team with probable playing time in abundance as he gives Aberdeen an option in his style of play that they just don't have.
Spot on with post.👍

hibee-boys
07-01-2020, 10:33 PM
I wonder if other clubs fans are always so pre-occupied with trying to sign ex players. Dylan has not been able to get much game time for a very poor Sunderland side, you'd think Messi had become available. Jack Ross will know much better than any of us. Wasn't that fussed when he left, even less bothered about him going to Aberdeen.

Real Emerald
07-01-2020, 10:44 PM
Strange how many think he's struggle without McGinn. Guess the crowds were poor the season he was brilliant without McGinn though. Doubt many actually seen it.

Really disappointed he's joined a direct rival. We really must be after someone good if we've turned him down.

Exactly, some of us remember having continuous season tickets when we were getting less than 10k crowds. Unfortunately if we don’t start upping our quality it’ll be back to us few to support the team through the bad old days again. Quality like Dylan is not often within your grasp and I for one don’t believe JR didn’t want him. Hibs and Ron will be hit hard with crowds dropping if we don’t grasp opportunities to get these type of players in, sadly.

Hi Heid Yin
07-01-2020, 10:51 PM
Dress it up any way you like, but seeing McGeouch go to Aberdeen and not back to ourselves hurts.

I hope that our club have someone special lined up to cushion the blow of not getting a legend back.

jeffers
07-01-2020, 10:54 PM

Not how I remember it. Scott Allan was brilliant that season, McGeouch was decent but missed a good chunk of the season out injured.

CMurdoch
07-01-2020, 11:36 PM
By late February Dylan will be fighting with Bryson for the attention of the Aberdeen physio

blackpoolhibs
08-01-2020, 08:21 AM
Christ almighty, the dons better sign John McGinn as it seems he can't play football without him.

WeeRussell
08-01-2020, 12:03 PM
You'd think we had a god-given right to sign a player because he's played for us previously.

For all we know, he has no interest in playing for us again. Maybe doesn't want to sign for Jack Ross having not been in his plans at Sunderland. Who knows.

Always find it bizarre when this place erupts because our manager didn't sign someone that the majority of Hibs.net rate very highly, especially when we know very little about what conversations did or didn't take place. There's dozens of players like McGeough that we could link ourselves with because we know to be good players, but we go radge because one used to play for us and we think we know him better than the rest of the world.

If he did speak to both of us and Aberdeen and he chose Aberdeen, it happens. I'll save being bothered until he plays more than a dozen games and comes back running rings round our midfield like so many on here are waiting for.

I for one am comfortable with the fact we didn't make him our highest earner based on being decent for us 3 years ago.

tonyrougier123
08-01-2020, 12:39 PM
By late February Dylan will be fighting with Bryson for the attention of the Aberdeen physio

👍

Weegreenman
08-01-2020, 01:42 PM
Gutted and for all those who are saying he’s not the type we want......bull****!

You can never have enough quality and that lad has plenty. I’d have sold Mallen in heartbeat if it meant we got Dylan.

Weegreenman
08-01-2020, 01:45 PM
Dress it up any way you like, but seeing McGeouch go to Aberdeen and not back to ourselves hurts.

I hope that our club have someone special lined up to cushion the blow of not getting a legend back.

Ye I’m with you on this. There’s not a hope in hell we’ll get better and only shows the level of ambition RG & LD have for us.
I’ll also be happy to eat my words if they do happen to bring in a better player but I see that as being very unlikely.

Gypsy King
08-01-2020, 02:03 PM
Gutted and for all those who are saying he’s not the type we want......bull****!

You can never have enough quality and that lad has plenty. I’d have sold Mallen in heartbeat if it meant we got Dylan.

This.

Gordy M
08-01-2020, 02:11 PM
Ye I’m with you on this. There’s not a hope in hell we’ll get better and only shows the level of ambition RG & LD have for us.
I’ll also be happy to eat my words if they do happen to bring in a better player but I see that as being very unlikely.

So you are quite happy to say the board have a lack of ambition but then happy to be proved wrong?? Why not wait and see then? You cant say it lacks ambition until you see who we do bring in? Too happy to put the boot in straight away like many on here. Happens every transfer window.

Spike Mandela
08-01-2020, 02:18 PM
One thing players respond to is a managers determination to entice a player. Jack Ross obviously persuaded Dylan to Sunderland with a good contract and a new challenge but McInnes has always been an admirer.

I would imagine McInnes has kept tabs on Dylan and his desire to have him in his Aberdeen side is bound to make him feel wanted. Both Heckingbottom and now Ross seem to have different priorities for the Hibs team. I think Dylan will be a great fit for Aberdeen and he will do well if he avoids the cursed injuries.

PH91
08-01-2020, 02:28 PM

Plenty would rather have dylan than mallan but in the real, non football manager world players can't just be sold overnight. Mallan is contracted to us for a while and it is not a time where it will be easy for us to sell him.

Billy Whizz
08-01-2020, 04:24 PM
Looks like Dylan has had a wee hair transplant

Not In The Know
08-01-2020, 04:28 PM
Seeing that, our Macron Trackie tops are Shan. :confused:

ekhibee
08-01-2020, 04:40 PM
PH *****ed the entire transfer budget in the summer and gave us a badly unbalanced squad. We’ll suffer from this for a wee while yet and I doubt McGeouch was ever a realistic prospect this window because of the budget situation.

This.

angus hibby
08-01-2020, 04:48 PM
One thing players respond to is a managers determination to entice a player. Jack Ross obviously persuaded Dylan to Sunderland with a good contract and a new challenge but McInnes has always been an admirer.

I would imagine McInnes has kept tabs on Dylan and his desire to have him in his Aberdeen side is bound to make him feel wanted. Both Heckingbottom and now Ross seem to have different priorities for the Hibs team. I think Dylan will be a great fit for Aberdeen and he will do well if he avoids the cursed injuries.

Out of interest, why do you think he’ll be a great fit for Aberdeen? Anytime I’ve seen Aberdeen, they’re a big physical side who battle and fight their way through games. Yet to see them building play up from defence into midfield on a regular basis, something Dylans game is all about.

SquashedFrogg
08-01-2020, 05:04 PM

He'll need it to keep his napper warm up in Aberdeen. Reckon he'll end the season with full 80's mullet.

hibbyfraelibby
08-01-2020, 05:09 PM

PH blew the summer window budget in full however he did not blow the entire transfer budget for the season. The budget will have been phased over both windows as usual, as most financially well run professional football clubs do.

Spike Mandela
08-01-2020, 05:25 PM
Out of interest, why do you think he’ll be a great fit for Aberdeen? Anytime I’ve seen Aberdeen, they’re a big physical side who battle and fight their way through games. Yet to see them building play up from defence into midfield on a regular basis, something Dylans game is all about.

You’ve answered the question yourself really. He will offer them a different option from their current style.

Keith_M
08-01-2020, 05:30 PM
We seem to be discussing the same topic on 2 different threads.

Crab apple
08-01-2020, 05:48 PM
PH blew the summer window budget in full however he did not blow the entire transfer budget for the season. The budget will have been phased over both windows as usual, as most financially well run professional football clubs do.

The amount allocated for the January window will be considerably less than for the summer window and as many of his signings are on long term contracts on decent wages we are further constrained.

Wilson
08-01-2020, 05:51 PM

Only because there isn't three.

HoboHarry
08-01-2020, 05:53 PM
He's just signed for another team - he has moved on and it's high ****** time we did too and posted about relevant stuff.

Weegreenman
08-01-2020, 06:02 PM
I can see this raging on and on if Dylan hits the ground running and Michael Stewart & Co start waxing lyrical about him on a weekly basis. This place will be in meltdown.

Could be a massive own goal for the club. A former cup winning legend coming back up the road and a manager that took him to Sunderland can’t entice him back. Speaks volumes for me.

Only time will tell but this stinks of typical Hibs. Mid table sleeping giant.

Weegreenman
08-01-2020, 06:05 PM
So you are quite happy to say the board have a lack of ambition but then happy to be proved wrong?? Why not wait and see then? You cant say it lacks ambition until you see who we do bring in? Too happy to put the boot in straight away like many on here. Happens every transfer window.

It’s lacked ambition ever since I was a boy, I’m disappointed ffs! Leave me be. 😪

Lago
08-01-2020, 06:09 PM
I can see this raging on and on if Dylan hits the ground running and Michael Stewart & Co start waxing lyrical about him on a weekly basis. This place will be in meltdown.

Could be a massive own goal for the club. A former cup winning legend coming back up the road and a manager that took him to Sunderland can’t entice him back. Speaks volumes for me.

Calm down before you blow a gasket. Neither your or I have any idea as to what Jack Ross will or won't do, can or can't do or wants to do.
Just waiting for the Jason & Effe posts to start.

SquashedFrogg
08-01-2020, 06:09 PM

It'll only rage on if people don't let it go and just deal with it.

No big issues for me. It happened. Life continues.

HoboHarry
08-01-2020, 06:11 PM

There will be no measurable way of knowing if it's been an own goal or not. Can't believe I've been sucked into this garbage.

Since452
08-01-2020, 06:15 PM
Calm down before you blow a gasket. Neither your or I have any idea as to what Jack Ross will or won't do, can or can't do or wants to do.
Just waiting for the Jason & Effe posts to start.

I we don't sign Cummings, Efe and Riordan then Petrie needs to go tbh

Lago
08-01-2020, 06:16 PM
I we don't sign Cummings, Efe and Riordan then Petrie needs to go tbh

Brilliant 😂👏

Brooster
08-01-2020, 06:18 PM
He's just signed for another team - he has moved on and it's high ****** time we did too and posted about relevant stuff.

I agree. Let's move on.

Weegreenman
08-01-2020, 07:35 PM
If we go on and sign a better player than Dylan then I’ll be ecstatic but I think we all know deep down we won’t and I think we all know deep down as to why.

Happy to continue to be sleeping giants and boy band also rans as per usual.
Mid table also rans. Not good enough.

We need to sign the best players we possibly can and for me Dylan would have be a real statement of intent.

Lago
08-01-2020, 07:46 PM
He didn't exactly set the Heather on fire at Sunderland.

Weegreenman
08-01-2020, 08:16 PM
I agree. Let's move on.

We no allowed to discuss a club legend coming back to Scotland and signing for one of our major rivals then?
A lot of fans no happy and quite rightly so, I’d say it’s very relevant that we all discuss this.

WeeRussell
08-01-2020, 08:33 PM
We no allowed to discuss a club legend coming back to Scotland and signing for one of our major rivals then?
A lot of fans no happy and quite rightly so, I’d say it’s very relevant that we all discuss this.

You are allowed but aside from there being more than one thread repeating itself now, you’ve also just said the same thing 4 times on one page of this thread. I think the point the poster was making is it’s getting a bit boring, which they are also allowed to do.

Cardinal G
08-01-2020, 08:37 PM
He didn't exactly set the Heather on fire at Sunderland.

In my view he never got a genuine chance, couple of main reasons being injury and old manager not fancying him enough.......

FilipinoHibs
08-01-2020, 08:53 PM
Is this a thread for Hibs depressives during the winter break?

Captain Trips
08-01-2020, 09:01 PM
Would Dylan get a game just now? absolutely but so would 100s of other players. My only issue is he is at a rival who may play now in a way that suits him as Aberdeen have been poor so whatever they are doing isn't working either. If DM remained at Sunderland we would still be looking for the same players we are just now. Perhaps this is an error from Ross perhaps not perhaps its an error from McInnes perhaps not. I am interested now in who we sign not who Aberdeen sign.

There are lots of players i would like us to sign that we are probably capable of getting but that is neither here nor there if Ross doesn't want them. I will see with great interest what Ross and the club come up with over the coming weeks and hope to be not left disappointed.

we are hibs
08-01-2020, 09:23 PM

Aberdeen included it in his deal. Hibs werent willing to match that so he chose aberdeen.

hibee-boys
08-01-2020, 09:32 PM
Aberdeen included it in his deal. Hibs werent willing to match that so he chose aberdeen.

You'd think Boyler might've got him a good 'refer a friend' deal.

The 90+2
08-01-2020, 09:32 PM

Made with 100% cotton. Obviously.

Unseen work
08-01-2020, 09:56 PM
Mcgeouch clearly hasn’t done much research into how many injuries Aberdeen players seem to get and how often some seem to breakdown.

We seem to have really cared for his needs and got him fit and firing in his last season.

Like I said I’m a previous post there’s many reasons he’d go to Aberdeen ahead of us but wonder if the previous crossed his mind.

Having a baby on the way probably convinced him to take the money.

Wilson
08-01-2020, 10:10 PM

We weren't willing to thatch that?

tamig
08-01-2020, 10:27 PM
If we go on and sign a better player than Dylan then I’ll be ecstatic but I think we all know deep down we won’t and I think we all know deep down as to why.

Happy to continue to be sleeping giants and boy band also rans as per usual.
Mid table also rans. Not good enough.

We need to sign the best players we possibly can and for me Dylan would have be a real statement of intent.
What if the manager just didn’t fancy him? He didn’t pick him every week. How do you know Jack Ross couldn’t entice him - as you put it? Making stuff up.

HoboHarry
08-01-2020, 10:28 PM

You made that up. All he had to do was ask one of the locals for a handful of wool.....

1875godsgift
08-01-2020, 10:31 PM
We weren't willing to thatch that?

:greengrin

Eyrie
08-01-2020, 10:35 PM
Good to see that weave found a new source of puns.

Waxy
09-01-2020, 06:51 AM
We need new legends.

rossevenil
09-01-2020, 08:50 AM
What if the manager just didn’t fancy him? He didn’t pick him every week. How do you know Jack Ross couldn’t entice him - as you put it? Making stuff up.

Agree with this completely,who has seen more of Dylan in the last 12+ months...Mcinnes or Ross? Maybe Dylan will be a revelation at Aberdeen like Ojo has been:wink: or maybe our manager found out that
Dylan did look better with SJM beside him first hand?

Squealing pig
10-01-2020, 12:10 AM
Gutted , a player that oozed class

Lago
11-01-2020, 11:15 AM
Gutted , a player that oozed class

At Hibs for a limited time but not since leaving ER.

MWHIBBIES
11-01-2020, 11:29 AM
At Hibs for a limited time but not since leaving ER.

At Hibs for 4 years*

Sir David Gray
11-01-2020, 11:33 AM
Agree with this completely,who has seen more of Dylan in the last 12+ months...Mcinnes or Ross? Maybe Dylan will be a revelation at Aberdeen like Ojo has been:wink: or maybe our manager found out that
Dylan did look better with SJM beside him first hand?

Dylan McGeouch is a cracking signing for them. Trying to suggest otherwise just because he's now with a rival club is just silly.

FilipinoHibs
11-01-2020, 11:34 AM
Dylan McGeouch is a cracking signing for them. Trying to suggest otherwise just because he's now with a rival club is just silly.

Better tell JR.

Sir David Gray
11-01-2020, 11:38 AM
Better tell JR.

I don't need to tell him anything. I don't know the ins and outs of the deal and whether we were in for him or not. Maybe we were and McGeouch fancied a totally new challenge rather than coming back to his old club. Maybe Aberdeen offered him a better financial package.

Just because he hasn't come back doesn't mean we weren't interested.

FilipinoHibs
11-01-2020, 11:44 AM
I don't need to tell him anything. I don't know the ins and outs of the deal and whether we were in for him or not. Maybe we were and McGeouch fancied a totally new challenge rather than coming back to his old club. Maybe Aberdeen offered him a better financial package.

Just because he hasn't come back doesn't mean we weren't interested.

Pretty clear he was touted around and we had no interest. He had limited playing time when JR was at Sunderland and also clear JR wants a real defensive midfielder to push the big Swede forward. Good as he was when he played and not injured, another ball playing midfielder is not what we need who is very injury prone.

Sir David Gray
11-01-2020, 12:21 PM
Pretty clear he was touted around and we had no interest. He had limited playing time when JR was at Sunderland and also clear JR wants a real defensive midfielder to push the big Swede forward. Good as he was when he played and not injured, another ball playing midfielder is not what we need who is very injury prone.

He was pretty much an ever-present in our team in his last season with us.

If Jack Ross doesn't fancy him then I'll admit that is a slight concern but maybe we have someone lined up this month who's even better than him. It doesn't mean that Aberdeen haven't bagged themselves a very good signing though.

Weegreenman
11-01-2020, 05:24 PM

If Jack Ross doesn't fancy him then I'll admit that is a slight concern but maybe we have someone lined up this month who's even better than him. It doesn't mean that Aberdeen haven't bagged themselves a very good signing though.

I think not signing him could well come back to haunt us.
If he does well and we’re struggling then questions will be asked as to why we weren’t interested.

wookie70
11-01-2020, 05:57 PM
I can't see Dylan's style of play fitting in with the Aberdeen model of kick long and kick hard

CMurdoch
12-01-2020, 12:01 AM
I can't see Dylan's style of play fitting in with the Aberdeen model of kick long and kick hard

I can see him being a good fit, they now have Ojo as anchor alongside Dylan, Bryson and Ferguson in midfield.
As always the elephant in the room with Dylan's is his ability to stay fit.

It hasn't been all good at Aberdeen in recent years where McInnes has spent a lot of money on injured players and players who have had bad injuries who he has wrongly gambled on coming back to being the players they were before the injuries.

Pushed the boat out for May, Devlin, Bryson and now McGeough. May was a £400k disaster who was never coming back properly from an injury that was a baw hair from ending his career. He continues to look a shadow of his former self.
Devlin hasn't come back well from his injury which he had when he signed from Hamilton.
33 year old Bryson will be on big wages and has struggled for fitness all season and Dylan has a history of injury. All very Hearts like.

Hope Dylan stays fit for his sake but it won't surprise me if he has issues. I thought he was a great player at Hibs but loads of folk on here were forever losing their **** and almost blaming him for being injured. Even in his successful last season he spent a lot of time during matches going through stretching routines in a desperate attempt to keep injuries at bay.

Allant1981
12-01-2020, 07:58 AM

An ever present when his contract was running out and he needed either a new club or new contract lined up, bit of a shock! He was also injured a fair bit at sunderland but was fit coming up to this transfer window, again a bit of a shock!! Cracking player when fit but dont think he is what we need at the moment

Since452
12-01-2020, 09:06 AM
More than happy with Hallberg. Impressed every time I've seen him and fit every week. He'll be playing in McGeouch's position once we (hopefully) bring in another defensive midfielder

B.H.F.C
12-01-2020, 09:09 AM
More than happy with Hallberg. Impressed every time I've seen him and fit every week. He'll be playing in McGeouch's position once we (hopefully) bring in another defensive midfielder

He’s been playing McGeough’s position and isn’t anywhere near as good at it as McGeough was. We need to sign someone so Hallberg doesn’t need to play it, not the other way about.

CockneyRebel
12-01-2020, 09:34 AM
I think not signing him could well come back to haunt us.
If he does well and we’re struggling then questions will be asked as to why we weren’t interested.

Who, in a position to actually know, told you we weren't interested? If JR, who knows him well, has a limited budget he will need to prioritise the positions to fill and act accordingly. Like a lot of others have said in IMO he most likely followed the trail of £££££££s so any interest we may have had would be irrelevant.

Sir David Gray
12-01-2020, 11:16 AM
An ever present when his contract was running out and he needed either a new club or new contract lined up, bit of a shock! He was also injured a fair bit at sunderland but was fit coming up to this transfer window, again a bit of a shock!! Cracking player when fit but dont think he is what we need at the moment

121 appearances over 4 seasons for us would suggest he didn't just play for us when it suited him.

MWHIBBIES
12-01-2020, 04:46 PM

Horrendous way to speak about a club legend. Guy was brilliant for Hibs, a legend and a cup winner. You genuinely think he wasn't playing by choice? Almost hope he sticks one top bin against us just to piss you off.

Stuart93
12-01-2020, 04:51 PM
Horrendous way to speak about a club legend. Guy was brilliant for Hibs, a legend and a cup winner. You genuinely think he wasn't playing by choice? Almost hope he sticks one top bin against us just to piss you off.

What a really weird thing to say

I hope he doesn’t stick one in the top corner against us nor will any other hibs fan

MWHIBBIES
12-01-2020, 05:17 PM
What a really weird thing to say

I hope he doesn’t stick one in the top corner against us nor will any other hibs fan

No, neither do I but if he does it would be one up all the dafties who think the guy only played when he wanted. Thats the truely weird thing to say/

Stuart93
12-01-2020, 05:30 PM
No, neither do I but if he does it would be one up all the dafties who think the guy only played when he wanted. Thats the truely weird thing to say/

It won’t really though will it? How will him scoring prove he doesn’t only play when he wants?

Not that I think he does but him putting one in the top corner against us won’t prove nothing. Nor does wanting it to happen.

MWHIBBIES
12-01-2020, 05:39 PM
It won’t really though will it? How will him scoring prove he doesn’t only play when he wants?

Not that I think he does but him putting one in the top corner against us won’t prove nothing. Nor does wanting it to happen.

No, obviously not...

Forget it... Totally missing the point of something that wasn't even serious...

mjhibby
12-01-2020, 06:09 PM

He is a huge gamble given his injury record. If he stays fit then a very good signing,if he keeps getting injured then what. Time will tell but he will be no doubt be great for a spell then in and out the team. He wasn't picked by our manager at Sunderland regularly. We shall see.

Jim44
12-01-2020, 08:19 PM
He is a huge gamble given his injury record. If he stays fit then a very good signing,if he keeps getting lol then what. Time will tell but he will be no doubt be great for a spell then in and out the team. He wasn't picked by our manager at Sunderland regularly. We shall see.

Maybe Ross considered his other options were better than McGeouch. That doesn’t detract from his ability and what he has to offer. If, and it’s a big if, he can stay injury free, he will be a really influential player for them. My concerns are two-fold. Firstly, if we were interested, did Ross consider McGeouch’s potential in our league ( despite the fact he didn’t use him down south ) and secondly, was the club unwilling to put the cash upfront.

Allant1981
12-01-2020, 09:01 PM

You really are a bit of a tool, combine that with laughing at folk stuck outside livi's stadium a couple of weeks ago and you really do come over very weird. He was a good player for us when fit, there is no doubt about it but he would get injured playing against my 11 year old laddie, his time has come and gone at the club. Pretty sure the manager of the club at the time hinted it wasnt a physical injury most of the time as well

Allant1981
12-01-2020, 09:07 PM
121 appearances over 4 seasons for us would suggest he didn't just play for us when it suited him.

Did not start all of them though and was injured in over 40 games for the club was he not

BILLYHIBS
12-01-2020, 09:11 PM
Dylan scored a brilliant goal versus Aberdeen at Hampden doing a one two with Grant Holt to split their defence wide open then injured himself celebrating the goal

Sums the guy up

What is in the past is in the past

He is a sheep player now and I have forgotten about him already

Yes there are great memories but I am only interested in HIBS and what lies ahead for us in the future

We have an important Cup tie coming up on Sunday and hopefully we will get new recruits in before then if not we are good to go

blackpoolhibs
12-01-2020, 09:11 PM
Did not start all of them though and was injured in over 40 games for the club was he not

I'd take a Dylan McGeouch that missed 10 games or so a season. I'm also happy with a manager who must be bringing in better players than Dylan, we will have some side next season with what he thinks are better than Dylan.

Allant1981
12-01-2020, 09:15 PM
I'd take a Dylan McGeouch that missed 10 games or so a season. I'm also happy with a manager who must be bringing in better players than Dylan, we will have some side next season with what he thinks are better than Dylan.

As I say, he was a cracking player but I'd rather we weren't signing guys who are injured more often than not but each to their own.

blackpoolhibs
12-01-2020, 09:21 PM
As I say, he was a cracking player but I'd rather we weren't signing guys who are injured more often than not but each to their own.

Was he injured more often than not?:confused:

Allant1981
12-01-2020, 09:25 PM
Was he injured more often than not?:confused:

His last season was the only one that he had a decent run of games in, the others were constantly broken up with injury

Sir David Gray
12-01-2020, 09:27 PM

Being injured for 40 games and playing in over 120 games over the course of 4 seasons does not equate to being "injured more often than not".

That works out as him having played in roughly 75% of matches for us over the course of 4 years.

It's ok to be sad at a rival signing one of our ex-players, especially a good one like Dylan McGeouch but just blatantly making stuff up to try and fit your argument is just silly.

Allant1981
12-01-2020, 09:32 PM
Being injured for 40 games and playing in over 120 games over the course of 4 seasons does not equate to being "injured more often than not".

That works out as him having played in roughly 75% of matches for us over the course of 4 years.

It's ok to be sad at a rival signing one of our ex-players, especially a good one like Dylan McGeouch but just blatantly making stuff up to try and fit your argument is just silly.

What exactly am I making up, go have a look at the stats and see for yourself, his last season was the only one he played in without an injury that kept him out for a length of time,again just a bit of a coincidence he was looking for a new contract somewhere at the time, and I'm certainly not sad he has signed for aberdeen, I really dont let football bother me that much that I'd get upset over that!!

Sir David Gray
12-01-2020, 09:56 PM

What exactly am I making up, go have a look at the stats and see for yourself, his last season was the only one he played in without an injury that kept him out for a length of time,again just a bit of a coincidence he was looking for a new contract somewhere at the time, and I'm certainly not sad he has signed for aberdeen, I really dont let football bother me that much that I'd get upset over that!!

Your two posts above directly contradict one another.

On one hand you have said you would rather we weren't signing players who were injured more often than not and in your other post you have said he missed 40 games for us (over 4 years).

Missing an average of 10 games a season over 4 seasons does not equate to being injured more often than not, no matter what way you work it out.

Even if you ignore his last season with us, which you acknowledge was the one he played the most games in for us, he had still made 79 appearances by the end of his 3rd season which is an average of more than 25 games per season and if my maths is correct we played 149 games in all competitions during those 3 seasons meaning he played in more than half of the available games.

J-C
12-01-2020, 11:09 PM

On one hand you have said you would rather we weren't signing players who were injured more often than not and in your other post you have said he missed 40 games for us (over 4 years).

Missing an average of 10 games a season over 4 seasons does not equate to being injured more often than not, no matter what way you work it out.

Even if you ignore his last season with us, which you acknowledge was the one he played the most games in for us, he had still made 79 appearances by the end of his 3rd season which is an average of more than 25 games per season and if my maths is correct we played 149 games in all competitions during those 3 seasons meaning he played in more than half of the available games.

TBH he's not really that wrong, we played around 45 games per season with all the cup matches added to the 36 league games and Dylan's 3 seasons in the championship was 26, 30 and 23, that's a fair chunk of games missing, his final season he played 42 times.

Sir David Gray
12-01-2020, 11:23 PM
TBH he's not really that wrong, we played around 45 games per season with all the cup matches added to the 36 league games and Dylan's 3 seasons in the championship was 26, 30 and 23, that's a fair chunk of games missing, his final season he played 42 times.

He still played in over half the games that he could have played in during the first 3 seasons he was with us. Maybe even slightly more since he didn't sign until a month into his first season.

That he played the highest number of games during his final season with us is not up for debate, it's a fact. I'm disputing the claim that he was "injured more often than not" for the other 3 seasons and also the insinuation that the times that he was absent for us may not have been entirely genuine.

mjhibby
13-01-2020, 12:01 AM

You also need to factor in the fact that every time he was out for a few weeks he would take a couple of games to get up to speed. Look it's a gamble by the dons and time will tell. If we signed him and he played a few times then was out for months Ross and Hibs would have been slated for signing a crock. There is no right and wrong in this.

FilipinoHibs
13-01-2020, 12:43 AM

Still a very high level of absenteeism. Could you imagine Scott Allan being that unavailable for that number of games.

Allant1981
13-01-2020, 05:01 AM

Sorry but it doesnt matter how you dress it up, he missed lots of games due to injuries and I'd rather we stayed well clear, our manager clearly thought so as well, the guy who signed him for his last club where he was injured a fair bit of the time as well remember, a good player when fit but we need someone who wont be playing here and there for most of the season. I'll stay out of this now as it's pretty pointless anyway, he is not our player any longer

Robbo6-2
13-01-2020, 05:22 AM
Would be nice if we could put the Dylan Mcgeouch chat to bed.

Its been done to death. Its over and he isnt coming back.

Move on

MWHIBBIES
13-01-2020, 05:47 AM
Would be nice if we could put the Dylan Mcgeouch chat to bed.

Its been done to death. Its over and he isnt coming back.

Move on

Would be nice if people could just discuss whatever they wanted (within the rules) on here without others trying to moderate it. If you're not interested, don't open the thread.

FilipinoHibs
13-01-2020, 05:54 AM
Would be nice if people could just discuss whatever they wanted (within the rules) on here without others trying to moderate it. If you're not interested, don't open the thread.

Agree we need to put this one to bed. The arguments for and against are just being repeated.

G B Young
15-01-2020, 07:00 PM
Maybe already mentioned, but Dylan must have had a recent hair transplant. No big deal, but I didn't recognise him at first:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/51071552

jacomo
15-01-2020, 07:05 PM
Maybe already mentioned, but Dylan must have had a recent hair transplant. No big deal, but I didn't recognise him at first:

He’s done a Rooney!

MWHIBBIES
15-01-2020, 07:28 PM

Takes his place in the Hibs hair transplant team, along with Kevin Thomson, Steven Whittaker, Steven Fletcher, Anthony Stokes, Martin Boyle and more. Decent side.

Weegreenman
15-01-2020, 07:32 PM
We’ll no bring in better. Simples! A total lack of ambition from the club.

The third biggest attendances for the second year on the bounce but still floundering for a top six finish. It’s not good enough.

We need to be signing the best players we can possibly get and you’d surely have thought we’d be favourites to bring Dylan back considering our recent history.

G B Young
15-01-2020, 07:34 PM
Takes his place in the Hibs hair transplant team, along with Kevin Thomson, Steven Whittaker, Steven Fletcher, Anthony Stokes, Martin Boyle and more. Decent side.

Don't forget Leigh Griffiths.

Not sure I recall Kevin Thomson losing his hair?

David Gray had significantly more hair when he joined us (see his magnificent opening goal below) but I'm glad he never went down the transplant route. He's a brilliant (and legendary) baldie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N2Gfhgv7RA

MWHIBBIES
15-01-2020, 07:36 PM
Don't forget Leigh Griffiths.

Not sure I recall Kevin Thomson losing his hair?

David Gray had significantly more hair when he joined us (see his magnificent opening goal below) but I'm glad he never went down the transplant route. He's a brilliant (and legendary) baldie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N2Gfhgv7RA

Thommo definitely had one, was falling out at Rangers.

steelendhibs
15-01-2020, 07:41 PM
McGeoch also started a fair few games in his first couple of years at Hibs where he barely lasted 15 minutes before going off with a muscle injury. Still a cup winning legend and part of one of the best midfields I have see at Hibs with McGinn and Allan for the 2nd half of the 2018/19 season. Will always remember him fondly

MWHIBBIES
15-01-2020, 07:57 PM
McGeoch also started a fair few games in his first couple of years at Hibs where he barely lasted 15 minutes before going off with a muscle injury. Still a cup winning legend and part of one of the best midfields I have see at Hibs with McGinn and Allan for the 2nd half of the 2018/19 season. Will always remember him fondly

He went off in the first half injured 3 times in the first 2 years. Not that bad really.

The 90+2
15-01-2020, 08:12 PM

The third biggest attendances for the second year on the bounce but still floundering for a top six finish. It’s not good enough.

We need to be signing the best players we can possibly get and you’d surely have thought we’d be favourites to bring Dylan back considering our recent history.

You never know, the Birmingham youth player could be the answer to our prayers and it will justify why there was apparently no interest by the club for the best footballer to put his foot on the ball and make a pass and space since boozy.

Weegreenman
16-01-2020, 10:02 AM
You never know, the Birmingham youth player could be the answer to our prayers and it will justify why there was apparently no interest by the club for the best footballer to put his foot on the ball and make a pass and space since boozy.

I’m always happy to be proved wrong 😊😉

matty_f
16-01-2020, 11:50 AM

Is it still a lack of ambition if we chose not to bring him in (and it was the club's choice) because we had our sights set on better?

Weegreenman
16-01-2020, 07:03 PM
Is it still a lack of ambition if we chose not to bring him in (and it was the club's choice) because we had our sights set on better?

As I’ve already said, I’d be very happy to be proved wrong. Whether we wanted Dylan or not, I think it’s a mistake that’ll come back to haunt us. I can see him doing well up the road and that’ll hurt many of us.

JimBHibees
17-01-2020, 06:28 AM

Went off in the first half about a week before the cup final.

JimBHibees
17-01-2020, 06:33 AM

Just need to see who we do bring in I think he came available at the wrong time for us as given the pretty lightweight midfield we have he probably wouldn't have provided the right balance. Assume the manager decided a more physical player who can also play was likely the better option. Time will of course tell on that but managers are there to make the tough calls and just hope the person brought in is quality also.

FilipinoHibs
17-01-2020, 06:35 AM
Went off in the first half about a week before the cup final.

Had to go off on the semi vs Aberdeen after drawing us level.

JimBHibees
17-01-2020, 06:36 AM
Had to go off on the semi vs Aberdeen after drawing us level.

Yep just when I thought we were going to win. :greengrin