PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon 2019

Sir David Gray
04-07-2019, 04:39 PM
Entertaining match on right now between Rafael Nadal and Nick Kyrgios.

Nadal won the first set 6-3 but Kyrgios has responded well and is currently 3-1 up in the second set.

Things are never dull with Kyrgios and so far we've had a 143 mph second serve, an underarm serve and some brilliant shot making. The guy is extremely talented but unfortunately it wouldn't be Kyrgios if we didn't get some of the other stuff as well. We've also had expletive filled rants and numerous exchanges with Nadal and complaints to the umpire.

Kyrgios has the talent to go far in the game but his attitude lets him down so often and will continue to be his downfall unless he sorts that out.

stoneyburn hibs
04-07-2019, 05:05 PM
Entertaining match on right now between Rafael Nadal and Nick Kyrgios.

Nadal won the first set 6-3 but Kyrgios has responded well and is currently 3-1 up in the second set.

Things are never dull with Kyrgios and so far we've had a 143 mph second serve, an underarm serve and some brilliant shot making. The guy is extremely talented but unfortunately it wouldn't be Kyrgios if we didn't get some of the other stuff as well. We've also had expletive filled rants and numerous exchanges with Nadal and complaints to the umpire.

Kyrgios has the talent to go far in the game but his attitude lets him down so often and will continue to be his downfall unless he sorts that out.

Great watch, 100% behind Kyrgios regarding Nadal's length of time to serve.
Mon the bad boy.

Sir David Gray
04-07-2019, 05:40 PM
Great watch, 100% behind Kyrgios regarding Nadal's length of time to serve.
Mon the bad boy.

He has a point, just like he had a point when complaining about losing the point when he failed to return a Nadal serve that was initially called out but was actually in (the point should have been replayed).

He goes about it in totally the wrong way though.

However there's no denying that he's box office.

Andy Murray's just starting his men's doubles match on Court One.

Bangkok Hibby
04-07-2019, 08:19 PM
He has a point, just like he had a point when complaining about losing the point when he failed to return a Nadal serve that was initially called out but was actually in (the point should have been replayed).

He goes about it in totally the wrong way though.

However there's no denying that he's box office.

Andy Murray's just starting his men's doubles match on Court One.

I didn't mind the guy until I watched his interview a wee while ago. Didn't come over well.

Sir David Gray
04-07-2019, 10:00 PM
I didn't mind the guy until I watched his interview a wee while ago. Didn't come over well.

He does actually seem to acknowledge his shortcomings, he admits he doesn't train enough and isn't as professional as guys like Nadal. He was seen in a Wimbledon pub at 11pm last night for example.

The guy is a real talent, some of the shots he pulls off are ridiculous but he lacks a winning attitude.

Sylar
04-07-2019, 11:51 PM
He might have talents, but I really can't stand him. Aiming a ball at a fellow professional isn't on IMO.

The umpire should have dealt with him with a little more authority - he did have a point in some of his ire, but you can't behave like that. Not at the top level of the game.

Federer looked comfortable earlier (second set aside), Nadal pulled off some imperious shots again...Djokovic on court again tomorrow. It's all getting a bit tasty :greengrin

Saturday's game between Nadal and Tsonga could be a great match, and a real chance for Dan Evans to progress against Joao Sousa.

Scouse Hibee
05-07-2019, 03:21 PM
Djokovic not allowed to wear his cap today as it breaches the all white rule as it has a black lining!

He complained to the umpire as he has already wore it previously but to no avail.

Betty Boop
05-07-2019, 06:16 PM
Coco Gauff what a story ! Brilliant to watch.

heretoday
05-07-2019, 07:19 PM
Coco Gauff what a story ! Brilliant to watch.

Hercog should have nailed it but her forehand and nerves let her down. Great excitement!

Sir David Gray
05-07-2019, 09:29 PM
He might have talents, but I really can't stand him. Aiming a ball at a fellow professional isn't on IMO.

The umpire should have dealt with him with a little more authority - he did have a point in some of his ire, but you can't behave like that. Not at the top level of the game.

Federer looked comfortable earlier (second set aside), Nadal pulled off some imperious shots again...Djokovic on court again tomorrow. It's all getting a bit tasty :greengrin

Saturday's game between Nadal and Tsonga could be a great match, and a real chance for Dan Evans to progress against Joao Sousa.

Aiming the ball at your opponent is entirely within the rules of tennis. Whether it's within the spirit of the game or not is questionable but there's nothing the umpire could have done about that.

The way he behaved at the sit downs was what bothered me the most. I felt the umpire should either have ignored him altogether or been more authoritative. Engaging Kyrgios in conversation only made things worse.

Bangkok Hibby
06-07-2019, 09:20 AM
Hercog should have nailed it but her forehand and nerves let her down. Great excitement!

Totally. The wee lassie's done well but the combination of Hercog having sore legs, a misfiring first serve and forehand and nerves allowed the youngster to win. A large wager on her next opponent I feel*

*Edit* just seen it's Halep...price will be prohibitive so won't bother

Sir David Gray
06-07-2019, 10:59 AM
Totally. The wee lassie's done well but the combination of Hercog having sore legs, a misfiring first serve and forehand and nerves allowed the youngster to win. A large wager on her next opponent I feel*

I think Halep will win fairly easily but what a story that is.

15 years old and into the last 16 at Wimbledon is incredible.

Sir David Gray
06-07-2019, 03:20 PM
Andy Murray knocked out of the men's doubles in four sets.

Playing in the mixed doubles later on.

weecounty hibby
06-07-2019, 03:34 PM
Outplayed by a very good doubles pairing. Good match to watch. Will be interested to see how he gets on with Serena Williams.

Sir David Gray
06-07-2019, 08:07 PM
Outplayed by a very good doubles pairing. Good match to watch. Will be interested to see how he gets on with Serena Williams.

Easy victory tonight for them in the mixed doubles.

Dan Evans has just lost in 5 sets to Joao Sousa despite having chances in every set. He will be gutted.

Golden Bear
06-07-2019, 08:11 PM
Well that was fantastic viewing. Evans gave it everything but it still wasn't quite good enough. Both players fitness was unbelievable. In fact tennis players as athletes must be fitter than anyone apart from maybe athletes themselves!

Sylar
06-07-2019, 09:48 PM
Aiming the ball at your opponent is entirely within the rules of tennis. Whether it's within the spirit of the game or not is questionable but there's nothing the umpire could have done about that.

The way he behaved at the sit downs was what bothered me the most. I felt the umpire should either have ignored him altogether or been more authoritative. Engaging Kyrgios in conversation only made things worse.

That was the basis of my critique of the umpire, but I appreciate the ambiguity in my post :agree:

heretoday
07-07-2019, 09:54 AM

Halep's a bit of a choker. I reckon Coco will win!

makaveli1875
08-07-2019, 04:45 PM
Halep's a bit of a choker. I reckon Coco will win!

Sadly Halep took coco back to school.

Zazu62
08-07-2019, 05:52 PM
Wimbledon without Andy Murray tearing it up in the singles competition isn’t very good eh? Don’t even bother watching it

hibeg
08-07-2019, 06:22 PM
Jo Konta going well. Expect her to win tomorrow and set up semi final v Serena. Winner of this match will be champion imo. Really hope Konta can do it

Sir David Gray
09-07-2019, 06:25 PM
Jo Konta going well. Expect her to win tomorrow and set up semi final v Serena. Winner of this match will be champion imo. Really hope Konta can do it

Konta hammered today in the second set after a tight opener to go out in straight sets.

Really disappointing result.

hibeg
09-07-2019, 07:06 PM
Konta hammered today in the second set after a tight opener to go out in straight sets.

That must have been the worst she has played all season. Her usually excellent serve deserted her and ridiculous amount of unforced errors. She must be gutted as she should have had a great chance to win Wimbledon.

Bangkok Hibby
09-07-2019, 07:35 PM
That must have been the worst she has played all season. Her usually excellent serve deserted her and ridiculous amount of unforced errors. She must be gutted as she should have had a great chance to win Wimbledon.

Dont think she ever will unfortunately. A little under world class and lacking the bottle required by the greats.

JeMeSouviens
09-07-2019, 07:57 PM

That’ll be her an Aussie again then? :wink:

heretoday
09-07-2019, 09:18 PM

The Czech girl was very quick about the court. Genuine type too.

G B Young
10-07-2019, 09:54 PM
Been good to see Andy Murray building up his fitness in the doubles events at Wimbledon and it was brilliant to see him winning the Queens doubles title a couple of weeks back. If he feels the strain on his hip will be too much for a return to singles then he could certainly shine on the doubles court for the final few years of his career. His mum has always said she thought he and Jamie would team up at some stage which would be great. Their Davis Cup matches together were always great to watch and they'd be a hugely popular pairing.

Hibernia&Alba
11-07-2019, 02:20 PM
I'd like to see Strycova give Serena a match here, but I fear she will be blown away by the power.

Hibernia&Alba
11-07-2019, 03:02 PM
I'd like to see Strycova give Serena a match here, but I fear she will be blown away by the power.

Shame; she picked up an injury and it became a rout. Incredible tennis by Serena, when you think of her lack of preparation for Wimbledon.

yonder1875
12-07-2019, 09:30 AM
Strongly fancy Rafa to win today, should be some match - both have been brilliant so far.

Hibernia&Alba
12-07-2019, 12:27 PM
Strongly fancy Rafa to win today, should be some match - both have been brilliant so far.

He's slight favourite, but I'm sticking with The Fed on grass.

Hibernia&Alba
12-07-2019, 03:17 PM
Men's semi-final day. Quite comfortable dor Djokovic in the end, though he was pushed for a while at one set all.

Really looking forward to this Federer-Nadal match.

Hibernia&Alba
12-07-2019, 03:48 PM
Suprised to learn that Nadal leads Federer 10-3 in Grand Slam head to heads. Six of them have come at the French Open of course, where Nadal leads 6-0, but the Spaniard also leads Federer 3-1 on cement.

Hibernia&Alba
12-07-2019, 04:38 PM
Magnificent first set goes to Federer on tie-break. It's living up to expectations.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-07-2019, 04:48 PM
Amazing standard so far.

heretoday
12-07-2019, 04:49 PM
Magnificent first set goes to Federer on tie-break. It's living up to expectations.

Rolls Royce v Ferrari.

Hibernia&Alba
12-07-2019, 04:55 PM
Rolls Royce v Ferrari.

Good analogy, mate :agree:

Hibernia&Alba
12-07-2019, 05:09 PM
Second set Nadal 6-1, as Federer's game went to pieces. He needs a big response now, in order to swing the momentum back his way.

Hibernia&Alba
12-07-2019, 05:51 PM
Third set Federer. What a great champions to compose himself like that after a disastrous set.

Sir David Gray
12-07-2019, 06:09 PM
Federer a break up in set four - 3-1.

I must admit I didn't see this coming but you can't help but admire his longevity. To still be playing at this standard at almost 38 years of age is simply incredible.

100% the GOAT.

Hibernia&Alba
12-07-2019, 06:13 PM
Federer a break up in set four - 3-1.

I must admit I didn't see this coming but you can't help but admire his longevity. To still be playing at this standard at almost 38 years of age is simply incredible.

100% the GOAT.

:agree:

I thought the match was slipping away from him second set, when he folded. Using all his experience to come through. I'd love to see him win the tournament again.

Sir David Gray
12-07-2019, 06:42 PM
Federer wins 7-6 1-6 6-3 6-4.

Federer v Djokovic on Sunday!

Hibernia&Alba
12-07-2019, 06:45 PM
Federer wins 7-6 1-6 6-3 6-4.

Federer v Djokovic on Sunday!

That was tennis from the Gods. It's a privilege to be around when they play, in addition to Djokovic and Murray. It's a golden era of men's tennis, though it's coming to an end.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-07-2019, 06:46 PM
Good of them to finish just in time for The Jambo kick off! ☺

Hibernia&Alba
12-07-2019, 06:47 PM
Good of them to finish just in time for The Jambo kick off! ☺

They know their place in the sporting hierarchy :greengrin

heretoday
12-07-2019, 06:52 PM
Great tennis match. We won't have these guys around too much longer, sadly.

I fancy Novak in the final. He'll wear down Fed in these endless rallies.

Hibernia&Alba
12-07-2019, 06:59 PM

I think Fed needs to get ahead. Djokovic wobbled under pressure today, and Federer needs to be in a position to turn the screw. Rodger to win!

Sir David Gray
12-07-2019, 07:29 PM

I fancy him as well but the one thing that's for sure is that the majority of the crowd will be behind Federer and Djokovic doesn't like it when the crowd's against him, he's fairly thin skinned at times so that may get under his skin which may help Federer.

Should be a cracker hopefully.

Diclonius
13-07-2019, 01:04 AM
I suspect it isn't just me that's a wee bit jealous that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic - who have already won an exhaustive number of titles - seem to be almost superhuman in their ability to play seemingly forever without an ability-limiting injury, while our once-in-a-century player gets one at almost the exact moment he hits his peak (through no fault of his own, I might add). It's sickening.

Sir David Gray
13-07-2019, 06:56 AM
I suspect it isn't just me that's a wee bit jealous that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic - who have already won an exhaustive number of titles - seem to be almost superhuman in their ability to play seemingly forever without an ability-limiting injury, while our once-in-a-century player gets one at almost the exact moment he hits his peak (through no fault of his own, I might add). It's sickening.

Yeah it is disappointing, I can only imagine how Murray himself feels!

He was world number one, two years ago,
when the seriousness of his problems first surfaced against Sam Querrey at Wimbledon.

He's hardly played a singles match since then and it's unclear if he ever will play competitive singles again.

Meanwhile Roger Federer is looking like he's possibly going to enter into his 40s whilst still competing at the very top of the game which is just ridiculous really.

heretoday
13-07-2019, 01:04 PM
Why are there so many members of the armed forces around at Wimbledon?
Are they expecting the mob to rise up and attack the royal box?
Dashed sinister I call it.

Scouse Hibee
13-07-2019, 02:07 PM
Master class from Halep, blew Serena Williams away inside an hour to win the championship.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 08:45 AM
Why are there so many members of the armed forces around at Wimbledon?
Are they expecting the mob to rise up and attack the royal box?
Dashed sinister I call it.

Wimbledon recruits members of the Armed Forces (and also members of the Fire Brigade) to act as stewards during The Championships. They basically volunteer.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 08:47 AM
Master class from Halep, blew Serena Williams away inside an hour to win the championship.

I didn't watch it as I was at the football yesterday but it appears to have been a devastating performance by Halep. Sounds like the pressure of equalling the record got to Serena Williams.

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 08:59 AM
I didn't watch it as I was at the football yesterday but it appears to have been a devastating performance by Halep. Sounds like the pressure of equalling the record got to Serena Williams.

Same here and I haven't seen the highlights yet. Perhaps Serena just ran out of steam, after two weeks of tennis without any real preparation? Perhaps Halep was just tremendous on the day. What the reasons, it was a surprisingly one-sided result.

I'd love to see Federer do it today.

G B Young
14-07-2019, 12:20 PM
Same here and I haven't seen the highlights yet. Perhaps Serena just ran out of steam, after two weeks of tennis without any real preparation? Perhaps Halep was just tremendous on the day. What the reasons, it was a surprisingly one-sided result.

I'd love to see Federer do it today.

I watched it on catch-up last night and it was definitely the cast that Halep was simply tremendous on the day. It was probably the finest individual performance I've ever seen in a women's final. Virtually flawless. She has fantastic pace around the court and simply demoralised Williams with some of the returns she made. You could argue that a final that lasts less than an hour leaves the crowd short changed (which has certainly been the case in a number of one-sided women's finals) but anyone who was there will not have felt that way about Halep's display. Well worth a watch if you get a chance.

I'd also love to see Federer win today. He'll have the crowd on his side but I imagine the five-year age gap will play a part and the younger, machine-like Djokovic will simply grind him down.

Djokovic must be one of the least-loved champions in the game. His robotic style is never easy on the eye and there's an arrogant air about him that makes it hard to warm to him.

G B Young
14-07-2019, 12:28 PM

Nadal has seemingly overcome career-threatening knee problems which have plagued him for years (a fair few rumours do the rounds about how he has managed this) and it was only his near invincibility on clay that kept him in the top ten a while back. Until a couple of years ago he was crashing regularly out of Wimbledon in the early rounds. Djokovic also failed to win a slam for a couple of years after an elbow injury but overall you're right about their longevity.

Murray has been especially unlucky to have found himself competing in this era because if you look at how few challengers have emerged to topple these guys you'd imagine Andy could have dominated the game if he'd been born a few years later. On the other hand, you could argue that having to compete with these three helped him to reach the levels he did.

Betty Boop
14-07-2019, 01:04 PM
Mon Federer. :flag:

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 02:09 PM
First set Djokovic 7-6.

Federer was 5-3 up in the tiebreak too!

Only one winner from here I feel.

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 02:10 PM
First set to Djokovic, 7-6. Federer will feel he let that get away in the tie-break. Very tight set.

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 02:11 PM
First set Djokovic 7-6.

Aye, Federer really must put that behind him and win this set.

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 02:17 PM
Federer with the early break.

Scouse Hibee
14-07-2019, 02:22 PM
Federer with the early break.

Twice

Wow 4-0

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 02:40 PM
First set Djokovic 7-6.

Commentator's curse!

Federer blows Djokovic away in set two - 6-1.

heretoday
14-07-2019, 03:26 PM
Rolls Royce v Ferrari.

Today it's Rolls Royce v Volvo.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 03:26 PM
Djokovic wins the third set 7-6.

HibbyAndy
14-07-2019, 03:29 PM
Cmon Nole !

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 03:55 PM
Federer serving for the 4th set at 5-2 up!

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 04:00 PM
Djokovic gets one of the breaks back at the second attempt, 5-3.

First two break points that Djokovic has had in the full match.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 04:03 PM
Federer serving for the 4th set for a 2nd time, 5-4.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 04:06 PM
Federer wins the 4th set 6-4.

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 04:07 PM
You can't help but admire Djokovic's tenacity. Federer should already have this won; he's played so much better, but Djokovic keeps hanging in there. Great match.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 04:36 PM
Djokovic breaks first in the final set, 4-2.

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 04:41 PM
It's attritional now. Both are knackered.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 04:44 PM
Federer breaks straight back, 4-3!

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 04:46 PM
Federer breaks straight back, 4-3!

One of the great matches this. Superb viewing.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 04:54 PM
Federer serving to stay in the match at 4-5.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 04:56 PM
5-5 final set.

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 04:58 PM
5-5 final set.

Four hours played and I still can't pick a winner.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 05:02 PM
Federer serving again to stay in the match, 5-6.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 05:03 PM
Four hours played and I still can't pick a winner.

This is anyone's.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 05:08 PM
And we go on, 6-6!

No tiebreak at 6-6 in the final set though. It carries on until 12-12!

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 05:12 PM
7-6 Djokovic. Pressure's always on Federer to hold serve here.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 05:14 PM
7-7

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 05:17 PM
What a fight to the end this is. It's like Ali v Frazier, as two greats give every last drop of energy they have.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 05:18 PM
Federer breaks and serves for the match, 8-7!

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 05:18 PM
Federer breaks and will serve for the championship.

Betty Boop
14-07-2019, 05:19 PM
Brilliant to watch Federer 38 next month slugging it out. One of the greatest sportsmen ever.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 05:23 PM
Djokovic saves two match points to level at 8-8!

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 05:24 PM
Djokovic saves two match points and it's back on serve!

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 05:28 PM
Federer will serve to stay in it again, 8-9.

heretoday
14-07-2019, 05:30 PM
Come on Novak. They're all against you!

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 05:32 PM
9-9!!

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 05:32 PM
Brilliant to watch Federer 38 next month slugging it out. One of the greatest sportsmen ever.

They both are. It's been a privilege to watch. Reminds of the great 2008 Federer/Nadal final. The three of them are undoubtedly the greatest tennis has seen.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 05:35 PM
10-9 Djokovic, pressure on Federer again.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 05:39 PM
10-10!

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 05:39 PM
10-10!

I can barely watch now :greengrin

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 05:45 PM
11-11!

Hibeesmad
14-07-2019, 05:46 PM
Fantastic Final. Hope Federer does it.

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 05:47 PM
11-11!

Surely not a final set tie-break? It's the old cliché of neither player deserving to lose this.

Betty Boop
14-07-2019, 05:47 PM
I can barely watch now :greengrin
Same ! :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 05:56 PM
This is madness. What a match :greengrin

Sir David Gray
14-07-2019, 06:08 PM
Djokovic wins 7-6 1-6 7-6 4-6 13-12!

Shame it had to end in a tiebreak situation but I understand why it was brought in.

Brilliant match, sport at its very best!

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 06:10 PM
Djokovic wins 7-6 1-6 7-6 4-6 13-12!

Shame it had to end in a tiebreak situation but I understand why it was brought in.

Brilliant match, sport at its very best!

Best match I've ever seen. Shame there had to be a loser, but it was magnificent. Well done Djokovic and huge bad luck to Federer, who had two match points earlier in the final set. What a fighter Djokovic is.

Captain Trips
14-07-2019, 06:41 PM
These players are playing shots that nobody else coming through is even close to pulling off with that consistency. These 2 and Nadal are all time greats .

heretoday
14-07-2019, 06:45 PM
One of the great finals. Tough cookies both of them.

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 06:48 PM
One of the great finals. Tough cookies both of them.

I wonder whether we will see Federer again at Wimbledon. I hope so.

G B Young
14-07-2019, 06:55 PM
Prior to the match I thought Djokovic would take it reasonably comfortably simply due to the fact he's half a decade younger, but Federer's stamina and skill aged nearly 38 were a joy to behold. I'd love to have seen him win. And he really should have when he had those two match points on serve, but I guess nerves can get to even the world's greatest sportsmen.

By the end it was a title that should have been shared if that were possible.

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2019, 06:58 PM
Prior to the match I thought Djokovic would take it reasonably comfortably simply due to the fact he's half a decade younger, but Federer's stamina and skill aged nearly 38 were a joy to behold. I'd love to have seen him win. And he really should have when he had those two match points on serve, but I guess nerves can get to even the world's greatest sportsmen.

By the end it was a title that should have been shared if that were possible.

I'm sure those two match points on serve will increasingly play on Federer's mind in the coming days. I'm still trying to understand it myself.

heretoday
14-07-2019, 07:34 PM
Both players made vital errors from the fifth set onwards. It really could have gone either way. A repeat final in the US Open would be good!

murray26
14-07-2019, 07:55 PM
Well done Novak beat Federer and the crowd..hopefully you go on to eclipse the golden boys 20 slams.

HibbyAndy
15-07-2019, 03:47 PM
Well done Novak beat Federer and the crowd..hopefully you go on to eclipse the golden boys 20 slams.