PDA

View Full Version : NHC Frank Lampard

iwasthere1972
04-07-2019, 10:18 AM
New manager at Chelsea. Three year contract.

I suppose it was always on the cards but maybe a bit too soon. He'll know about John McGinn of course with Super John scoring against Derby in the play offs. A bidding war with Man United. :greengrin

Well it's been a weird kind of week. Getting beat from Arbroath as well.

Michael
04-07-2019, 10:23 AM
I actually think he'll do okay. Seems an intelligent guy and should be able to handle top players (given that he was one pretty recently).

Sylar
04-07-2019, 10:26 AM
It's a gamble by Chelsea, but one they'll probably get away with since he has hero status at the club.

Edit: never mind, just noticed his assistants from Derby have also been appointed!

Still in the midst of a transfer embargo - interesting challenge.

Alfiembra
04-07-2019, 10:32 AM
:agree:

Since452
04-07-2019, 10:34 AM
Gerrard to Derby looks a good bet

ScottB
04-07-2019, 10:34 AM
With their transfer ban, Chelsea can't sign any players until summer 2021 now or something?

So it's probably a sensible appointment really, firstly, with that ban, attracting a big name was probably going to be difficult, secondly, a club legend is a shot in the arm for the support, and he and his support staff seem very tailored towards making use of the army of youth players that will need to form Chelsea's squad over the next season or two.

Worst case scenario, Chelsea slip back into the pack fighting for 6th / 7th and they sack him ahead of a spending spree when their ban has ended.

ScottB
04-07-2019, 10:35 AM

Philippe Cocu apparently already in.

Onceinawhile
04-07-2019, 10:47 AM
Apparently it was supposed to be announced yesterday, but was delayed because Facebook and Instagram were down.

Modern football...

hfc rd
04-07-2019, 12:55 PM

I suppose it was always on the cards but maybe a bit too soon. He'll know about John McGinn of course with Super John scoring against Derby in the play offs. A bidding war with Man United. :greengrin

He won’t be able to get SJM as they’ve got a transfer ban. Will need to look towards the youth academy players at the club and give them a chance for a change.

WhileTheChief..
04-07-2019, 12:58 PM
He only got the gig cause of the transfer ban.

Fans will give him time that anyone else wouldn’t have got.

He’ll be out as soon as the ban is lifted.

Greencore
04-07-2019, 01:00 PM
Apparently it was supposed to be announced yesterday, but was delayed because Facebook and Instagram were down.

English football...

Fixed that for you.

Brightside
04-07-2019, 01:01 PM

Its mental. The boy has done nothing in management, and now has one of the biggest jobs in the world.

Hermit Crab
04-07-2019, 01:07 PM
Its mental. The boy has done nothing in management, and now has one of the biggest jobs in the world.

Steady.

heretoday
04-07-2019, 01:23 PM
He only got the gig cause of the transfer ban.

Fans will give him time that anyone else wouldn’t have got.

He’ll be out as soon as the ban is lifted.
He'll do well with the younger guys and will be given big cash to add some superstars on top. Good luck to him.

The 90+2
04-07-2019, 01:32 PM
Like Lampard hate Chelsea. Tough one.

If John Terry goes then there’s no decision to be made.

Michael
04-07-2019, 01:37 PM
Steady.

One of the top 10 jobs for sure.

Diclonius
04-07-2019, 01:43 PM
Interesting one as this isn't just another manager Abramovich can dispose of if it doesn't work out in a year. The fans would go mental.

Brightside
04-07-2019, 01:48 PM
Steady.

Steady nothing - Its Chelsea. Its one of the biggest jobs in football.

Scouse Hibee
04-07-2019, 02:07 PM

Don’t waste your money, the jobs already been taken

Scouse Hibee
04-07-2019, 02:09 PM

Agreed, a massive gamble by Chelsea to appoint a novice manager, one of the top jobs in the EPL he wouldn’t have got near if he hadn’t played for them.

Stevie Reid
04-07-2019, 03:31 PM
I'm no fan of Chelsea, but I've always really liked Lampard, both as player and manager - seems a right good egg and always speaks well.

Chelsea have been the antithesis to those who say that you can't keep sacking managers - they change managers almost annually, and barely go a year without winning a major trophy. Be genuinely interesting to see how he does and how he is treated.

Iggy Pope
04-07-2019, 03:38 PM

Modern football...

Frank does love looking at his own face mind you.

Hibernia&Alba
04-07-2019, 04:50 PM
Fat Tory bassa. Clearly he's loved by the Chelsea fans, and he knows the club inside out, but it's a huge job for one so inexperienced in management.

ekhibee
04-07-2019, 06:11 PM
Can't help thinking this is a mistake by Chelsea, although Frank Lampard is an intelligent guy and has an IQ of over 150 but that doesn't make him a great manager. If it all goes tits up I wouldn't be surprised to see him managing West Ham at some time, considering all his associations with the club.

MWHIBBIES
04-07-2019, 06:50 PM
Can't help thinking this is a mistake by Chelsea, although Frank Lampard is an intelligent guy and has an IQ of over 150 but that doesn't make him a great manager. If it all goes tits up I wouldn't be surprised to see him managing West Ham at some time, considering all his associations with the club.

I would think his time with the club was more of a factor than his IQ :greengrin

Cropley10
04-07-2019, 11:06 PM
Player, leader, legend: winner.

Transfer ban makes this a no-brainer. Worked under some great managers, intelligent man. He’ll do fine.

Paisley Hibby
05-07-2019, 03:38 AM

Transfer ban makes this a no-brainer. Worked under some great managers, intelligent man. He’ll do fine.

Well said. I get the feeling he could become the first ever English manager to win the EPL.

Scouse Hibee
05-07-2019, 12:37 PM
Well said. I get the feeling he could become the first ever English manager to win the EPL.

Chelsea are nowhere near winning the EPL at present and I can't see them bridging that gap in a couple of seasons so can't see him having any chance of doing it.

Paisley Hibby
05-07-2019, 02:01 PM
Chelsea are nowhere near winning the EPL at present and I can't see them bridging that gap in a couple of seasons so can't see him having any chance of doing it.

Fair enough - and it might well take a few seasons before he does it (if at all) but unlike other Chelsea managers he's going to get time. And the Chelsea Academy must be a wee goldmine of talent. I just get the feeling he's going to turn out to be an exceptional manager.

Lago
05-07-2019, 02:04 PM

Totally agree.

The 90+2
05-07-2019, 02:07 PM

His uncles the best manager in Britain.

McD
05-07-2019, 04:47 PM
He'll do well with the younger guys and will be given big cash to add some superstars on top. Good luck to him.

Chelsea are under a transfer ban, they won’t be making any signings for big cash or any other size of fee