PDA

View Full Version : Expectations for the upcoming season

ToulouseHibs
04-07-2019, 04:46 AM
Hi everyone. With the arrival of Big Ron I am obviously buzzing and my expectations for the new season have jumped from us consolidating a top 6 spot, maybe a Europe place, to having a decent battle with Rangers / Sheep for 2nd. Taking last night's first appearance for a lot of the new lads into perspective, how has the last few days changed your expectations for the season ahead?

Brightside
04-07-2019, 05:26 AM
Top 6

Unseen work
04-07-2019, 05:31 AM
You surely don’t expect 2nd?

Top 4/5 will still be a challenge this season imo.

Heisenberg
04-07-2019, 05:33 AM
Same as always. Challenge for the top four.

MacGruber
04-07-2019, 05:43 AM
Gordon isn't a billionaire and we aren't going to now be throwing money around. The playing squad isn't going to be much different had Gordon not turned up.
I would have liked to have signed some proven quality at this level however Scott Allan apart our signings have been more based on the recruitment teams judgement on who will be gems/quality from lower leagues. I'm fine with that and trust Heckingbottom to know what he is doing. That said, a bit nervous watching Hearts and Aberdeen signing some proven quality players as more often than not they work out better.

I expect a top 6 finish as a minimum with being in the battle for 3rd with Aberdeen, Hearts and Killie. I dont think there is much between the sides.

Being honest, I'm a bit envious of Dons signing Bryson, McGeough if happens. They will be the team to beat for best of the rest

Heisenberg
04-07-2019, 05:46 AM
Gordon isn't a billionaire and we aren't going to now be throwing money around. The playing squad isn't going to be much different had Gordon not turned up.
I would have liked to have signed some prove quality at this level however Scott Allan apart our signings have been more based on the recruitment teams judgement on who will be gems/quality from lower leagues. I'm fine with that and trust Heckingbottom to know what he is doing. That said, a bit nervous watching Hearts and Aberdeen signing some proven quality players as more often than not they work out better.

I expect a top 6 finish as a minimum with being in the battle for 3rd with Aberdeen, Hearts and Killie. I dont think there is much between the sides.

Being honest, I'm a bit envious of Dons signing Bryson, McGeough if happens. They will be the team to beat for best of the rest

What proven quality have Hearts signed? Washington only ever scored goals at the same level as our signings. Aberdeen have signed a good player in Bryson but him apart they’ve hardly signed any world beaters. Nothing too much to be envious of for me.

Bayern Bru
04-07-2019, 05:49 AM
It will be interesting to see the impact on Aberdeen of losing Shinnie and, to a slightly lesser extent, Lowe.

Two big players who did well for them last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

California-Hibs
04-07-2019, 05:49 AM
We'll finish 3rd or 4th.

MacGruber
04-07-2019, 06:07 AM
What proven quality have Hearts signed? Washington only ever scored goals at the same level as our signings. Aberdeen have signed a good player in Bryson but him apart they’ve hardly signed any world beaters. Nothing too much to be envious of for me.

Washington has scored for his country.

Being honest I think Walker is a very good player in this league provided he stays injury free and has the right attitude - both big ifs

Halkett I would have liked Hibs to have signed. Think he proved himself at this level last year.

Naismith I'm including as signed. Real quality however prone to injury and is an odious wee rat.

We have been better than Hearts for 3 or 4 years now IMO and I expect we will finish above them again - but it will be tight.

The Rangers
Celtic
Aberdeeen
Hibs
Hearts
Motherwell

How I see the top 6 finishing. Killie to drop off this season- that's not based on logic just a hunch

If Hibs sign McNulty, Omeonga, Ojo, Gravenbirch (sp) etc or some other proven quality (hijack the McGeough deal please) I will revise to Hibs finishing 3rd

Bob Box Fish
04-07-2019, 06:07 AM
Top 4

danhibees1875
04-07-2019, 06:26 AM
Challenge for Europe, trip to Hampden, understand Ron's plans/intentions.

DetroitHibs
04-07-2019, 06:28 AM
Gotta be challenging for the top four.

neil7908
04-07-2019, 06:59 AM
New owner makes no difference at the moment, unless we unveil some marquee signings. Top 6 minimum, hope for 3rd or 4th.

Bangkok Hibby
04-07-2019, 07:01 AM
Should be aiming for third

Peevemor
04-07-2019, 07:03 AM
New owner makes no difference at the moment, unless we unveil some marquee signings. Top 6 minimum, hope for 3rd or 4th.

Except it's pretty clear that the new owner has already had an input on what's been spent this summer.

marinello59
04-07-2019, 07:03 AM
I expect a European spot. Hopefully on the back of winning the cup.

Jim44
04-07-2019, 07:11 AM
I expect a European spot. Hopefully on the back of winning the cup.

Should be 6th or 5th at a canter with 4th a bonus, 3rd a lovely surprise, 2nd a major breakthrough and 1st a dream come true.

Pagan Hibernia
04-07-2019, 07:22 AM
We’ll finish 4th. At least 10 points ahead of Leveins cloggers.

superfurryhibby
04-07-2019, 07:30 AM
My expectation is that we have a better season than last season,

Signing a couple of decent players would be a big factor, complementing those that have arrived.

Midfield is an obvious area for improvement. Add the likes of Omeonga and Malumbu and we have quality and bite in there. Another striker, preferably Mc Nulty and that would give us a squad that looks stronger than last season.

The Sheep and Hearts will be our rivals for third. Killie will surely be weaker than they were.

Once more the fans have backed the team admirably and we’re on course to match our record season ticket sales. This season the management have to get the best out of the squad and ensure the fans get decent football, challenging in both cups and staying at the top end of the league.

Phil MaGlass
04-07-2019, 07:33 AM
I hope for third, nothing lower than fourth. Then in the next 2 seasons a regular 3/4 finish, with regular cash injections we can compete with the Dons.

smithy_hibees
04-07-2019, 07:34 AM
Surely top 4..
Us Aberdeen and Hearts fighting for 3rd has to be our aim.. always get one surprised team think Killie will not be as good, unsure who else will be up there though

we are hibs
04-07-2019, 07:42 AM
4th minimum. Fighting for 3rd. Probably with Aberdeen. Want a trip to Hampden or 4 too.

makaveli1875
04-07-2019, 07:43 AM
Big Ron better not show his face in leith if we don't win the league :flag:

WillowbraeHibby
04-07-2019, 07:44 AM
I've learned over the many years of supporting the Hibs, not to expect too much, but always hope for a top 4 finish at least. :flag:

J-C
04-07-2019, 08:07 AM
I think we got the best of Kamberi when on loan as he doesn't seem to work well up top on his own. Doidge I'm unsure of as this is a step up and I feel Shaw needs loaned out. Unless we sign a real goalscorer and a couple of solid mids, I feel we'll get top 6 but no higher than 4th at best.

horseflesh
04-07-2019, 08:11 AM
Washington has scored for his country.

Being honest I think Walker is a very good player in this league provided he stays injury free and has the right attitude - both big ifs

Halkett I would have liked Hibs to have signed. Think he proved himself at this level last year.

Naismith I'm including as signed. Real quality however prone to injury and is an odious wee rat.

We have been better than Hearts for 3 or 4 years now IMO and I expect we will finish above them again - but it will be tight.

The Rangers
Celtic
Aberdeeen
Hibs
Hearts
Motherwell

How I see the top 6 finishing. Killie to drop off this season- that's not based on logic just a hunch

If Hibs sign McNulty, Omeonga, Ojo, Gravenbirch (sp) etc or some other proven quality (hijack the McGeough deal please) I will revise to Hibs finishing 3rd

Halkett is never a footballer, will do the basic stuff well but never a player.
Proved himself bottom 6 last year and I think he’s punching above his weight in getting that far

Hibernian32
04-07-2019, 08:25 AM
Halkett is never a footballer, will do the basic stuff well but never a player.
Proved himself bottom 6 last year and I think he’s punching above his weight in getting that far

Not gonna shoot you down for having a opinion but just because he finished in the bottom 6 doesn't make him a bad player.

Surely you should know that. The most recent example is turnbul finished bottom 6 but got a 3million price tag on him.

B.H.F.C
04-07-2019, 08:27 AM
Top 4 should be the minimum aim.

I can’t see Kilmarnock being as strong this year.

mutley
04-07-2019, 08:31 AM
Has to be at least Top 4 for me. Look how close we were to 2nd with Lennon, so who knows!.

horseflesh
04-07-2019, 08:35 AM
Not gonna shoot you down for having a opinion but just because he finished in the bottom 6 doesn't make him a bad player.

Surely you should know that. The most recent example is turnbul finished bottom 6 but got a 3million price tag on him.

Absolutely agree, Livingston have some very tidy footballers, it’s just that Halkett isn’t one of them.
Always struck me as a “get rid of it quick” type of player

Ozyhibby
04-07-2019, 09:09 AM
European qualification. Anything less is a failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibs90
04-07-2019, 09:12 AM
Gotta be challenging the top 4. Anything else is not good enough. I'd say the same with or without the new owner.

Sioux
04-07-2019, 09:20 AM

And signing for hertz doesn't make him a good player, although there are quite a few on here who think it does.

Hibernian32
04-07-2019, 09:23 AM
Absolutely agree, Livingston have some very tidy footballers, it’s just that Halkett isn’t one of them.

Hmm I dunno, we will see how he adjust to a gradually bigger club.

StevesFamau5
04-07-2019, 09:36 AM
Gotta be challenging the top 4. Anything else is not good enough. I'd say the same with or without the new owner.

This 100%

A decent cup run as well with a final in at least one (winning of course would be preferred).

Definitely achievable and more so should we shore up the defensive midfield and striker issue, I think one more of both of those and I would be content.

:flag::flag::flag:

Clarence
04-07-2019, 09:41 AM
Maybe stating the obvious but it very much depends on the players that come in between now and the start of the season. That being said, Co think the current squad would finish Top 6. The defence looks pretty strong and having Porteous back will be like having s new signing. He also reduces the need for a defensive midfielder as he plays quite high up the park, linking well with the midfield. We look short of players in midfield and up front so we’d struggle to compete with the likes of Aberdeeen and the old firm if we get injuries and suspensions.

Dav1986
04-07-2019, 09:44 AM
Top 4 challenging for 2nd/3rd in the league.
Minimum semis in LC given that the round after group stages is still seeded I'm sure so that should get us to the quarters anyway.
I'd like at least the semi in the SC as a minimum but not expecting that as its an open draw from the outset so sometimes need a bit of luck there.

One Day Soon
04-07-2019, 10:14 AM
A scrap to maybe get fourth if we start well. Otherwise fifth or sixth.

This is another transition season for us and it will take time for:

a) the team/squad to achieve and consistently play the system PH wants
b) the new signings to bed in and find fitness, form and the pace of the Scottish game
c) some of the new signings won't cut the mustard - that's just inevitable at every club

I don't expect Europe or a cup win, if we manage either it would be a very pleasant and surprising bonus.

Our biggest weakness is upfront, we're lacking a reliable high goals count striker and we don't have strength in depth in attacking options. Our second biggest weakness is in the defensive capability of our midfield - and that isn't helping the forwards either because it means we'll have less possession to feed them with.

That's as we stand at the moment. Two more of the right signings and things could be quite different.

Allant1981
04-07-2019, 10:20 AM
Has to be top 3/4, should always be looking to improve in the league each season and hopefully a cup win

matty_f
04-07-2019, 10:30 AM
Top 4 and at least one good cup run would be a good season for us.

The league can wait until next year :greengrin

Speedway
04-07-2019, 10:37 AM
I see us finishing 5th as we stand at the moment. We lack quality.

Ozyhibby
04-07-2019, 10:43 AM
I see us finishing 5th as we stand at the moment. We lack quality.

I agree but I'm certain there are still 3 or 4 signings to come that will be starting 11 level. We should be strong enough to be challenging Aberdeen for 3rd.

Onceinawhile
04-07-2019, 10:46 AM
Top four and a trip to Hampden please.

BT58
04-07-2019, 10:47 AM
4th, depending on what new strikers/ midfielders are brought in.
B

Brummie_Hibs
04-07-2019, 10:51 AM
Europe and at least a semi-final.

Speedway
04-07-2019, 10:52 AM
I agree but I'm certain there are still 3 or 4 signings to come that will be starting 11 level. We should be strong enough to be challenging Aberdeen for 3rd.

I'd be surprised if there's more than another 2 Ozy, without departures to offset.

jacomo
04-07-2019, 11:30 AM
Big Ron better not show his face in leith if we don't win the league :flag:

This.

And I want to humiliate Hearts at least once this season.

I'm not talking a regular derby win, but the kind of result that will join the list of famous beatings: 7-0, 6-2, ---...

Smartie
04-07-2019, 12:02 PM
I think we'll finish 6th.

Tbh I don't think there's much between Rangers in 2nd right down to 6th and if Celtic aren't careful they could also be dragged in.

If it was tight, we were challenging for a higher position, we did well in the cups and just slipped away to 6th I'd be ok with that. If we end up miles behind Hearts, Aberdeen and Killie I'll be pissed off.

I think we've got too many players unproven at this level in a small squad for me to be confident of much better. And unless we do something further about that midfield (which surely we must) then we could be bottom 4. You could see the fine margins last season and the last 2 seasons have required us to make some significant changes in January to improve our position.

overdrive
04-07-2019, 12:04 PM
I demand nothing less than the treble.

Bobby's Cinema
04-07-2019, 12:32 PM
I think we'll finish 6th.

Tbh I don't think there's much between Rangers in 2nd right down to 6th and if Celtic aren't careful they could also be dragged in.

If it was tight, we were challenging for a higher position, we did well in the cups and just slipped away to 6th I'd be ok with that. If we end up miles behind Hearts, Aberdeen and Killie I'll be pissed off.

I think we've got too many players unproven at this level in a small squad for me to be confident of much better. And unless we do something further about that midfield (which surely we must) then we could be bottom 4. You could see the fine margins last season and the last 2 seasons have required us to make some significant changes in January to improve our position.

I really don't see much change in the league table this coming season from last as it stands. I don't see us overhauling Aberdeen, think they will be consistent again.
So for me again it will be ourselves, Hearts and StJ/Kilmarnock around top6 fighting for 4th which may or may not get europe.

I would hope for 4th and get back to Hampden.

hfc rd
04-07-2019, 12:36 PM
Should always be qualifying for Europe and reaching the latter stages in one of the cup competitions at least. Anything else - not good enough.

Greencore
04-07-2019, 12:53 PM
The squad we have the now 5th/4th a few more signings... 3rd

TelaStella
04-07-2019, 12:58 PM
Be delighted with 4th and a hampden trip. I really don’t see our lesser green friends doing a 4th treble this season and see no reason why we wouldn’t be one of the favourites to break it. Footballs a funny old thing though

Borderhibbie76
04-07-2019, 02:36 PM
We deffo need another proven striker at this level and 2 midfielders imo.. otherwise it will be mid table again this season

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bishop Hibee
04-07-2019, 02:39 PM
Expect a European place. A cup final win would be a bonus!

The Captain....
04-07-2019, 03:04 PM
I think we got the best of Kamberi when on loan as he doesn't seem to work well up top on his own. Doidge I'm unsure of as this is a step up and I feel Shaw needs loaned out. Unless we sign a real goalscorer and a couple of solid mids, I feel we'll get top 6 but no higher than 4th at best.

Pretty much sums up my reading of it as we stand. We desperately lack any sort of consistent quality up front..Im sure we'll remedy that soon but we need two new strikers imo not one (depending on departures). I think we also lack any sort of pace (other than Boyle) and we need a good defensive mid.

Fourth being optimistic, or more realistically fifth would be my estimate for coming season.

calumhibee1
04-07-2019, 03:14 PM
At least top 6 and a trip to Hampden and I’d be content. If no trip to Hampden then top four and European qualification.

MWHIBBIES
04-07-2019, 03:15 PM
Real shame how Flo has been written off by so many, think he can be a great player this season.

Since452
04-07-2019, 03:22 PM
Real shame how Flo has been written off by so many, think he can be a great player this season.

I hope you're right and i think some extra creativity behind him will help. I'd like to see another experienced striker brought in and a defensive midfielder and I'd be happy.

keith_darcy
04-07-2019, 03:29 PM
To be in the mix for 3rd place come the split and a good cup run would be a great season. And then over the next 3/4 years push to consistently finish as best of the rest.

Steve20
What we have just now will finish top 6, but that’ll be 5th or 6th. We lack players in midfield and up front to challenge for top 4. We need a couple of midfielders and at least one more striker. Players that will go straight into the team and not squad players.

J-C

Was stinking for the majority of last season and seemingly poor again last night, I've been told he wants away but don't know how much truth is in that

marinello59
04-07-2019, 03:35 PM
Was stinking for the majority of last season and seemingly poor again last night, I've been told he wants away but don't know how much truth is in that

I thought he looked OK last night.

J-C
04-07-2019, 03:37 PM
I thought he looked OK last night.

Only going by a couple of posters who said his 1st was still rotten and missed a sitter, time will tell I suppose

Sir David Gray
04-07-2019, 04:28 PM

My brother asked him at the Paul Hanlon dinner if he was staying and his response was "we'll see".

Take from that what you will.

Keith_M
04-07-2019, 05:00 PM
We'll finish 4th or 5th, maybe have a decent run in one of the cups.

J-C
04-07-2019, 07:42 PM
My brother asked him at the Paul Hanlon dinner if he was staying and his response was "we'll see".

Take from that what you will.

I was told management aren't too fussed about him and he's on a decent wage that they'd like freed up, maybe waiting till we get McNulty sorted before we let him go.

IWasThere2016
04-07-2019, 07:44 PM
We need front men - two IMHO. We seem covered elsewhere - unless some leave yet...

147lothian
05-07-2019, 01:03 AM
Here we go, 3 in a row, the absolute minimum is finishing above them, and for the entertainment value of listening to lambo's bleating about how it happened if we also get a Euro league place then that will be the icing on the cake and lustrate the balance of power shift will be a sign of things to come for many years ahead

Onion
05-07-2019, 06:42 AM
Compete effectively for 3rd place with Aberdeen and reach the semi of the Cups.

TheHarpy76
05-07-2019, 08:33 AM
And signing for hertz doesn't make him a good player, although there are quite a few on here who think it does.

And signing for Hertz doesn’t make him a bad one either. I’d have been very happy if we had signed Halkett. Made the team of the year did he not?

On topic. I expect us to be challenging Aberdeen,Hearts and Killie for 3rd place. Second would be nice but it’s a pipe dream I’m afraid. We’re not suddenly going to start throwing money around just because we’ve had a takeover.

MWHIBBIES
05-07-2019, 08:37 AM
My expectation is progress. If we finish 5th but 10 points better off and go further in the cups then I'll be happy. I would like to see Porteous, Shaw and Murray all improve as players, Kamberi recapture his form and Allan to light up the league again. Beat ****ing Hearts at home twice as well, and the old firm once each.

Sylar
05-07-2019, 08:41 AM

As someone who seen a reasonable number of Livingston's games last year, you're quite wrong in your assessment of Halkett.

He's a very comfortable defender - makes great tackles, reads the game exceptionally well, is pretty quick (certainly an upgrade for Hearts on Souttar or Berra) and despite not being the tallest of defenders, has a good physical presence and is a goal-scoring threat.

<sarcasm> Besides, what does any of it matter - surely after the Arbroath debacle, our objective must be survival? :greengrin </sarcasm>

Leitherhibs
05-07-2019, 08:48 AM
My expectation is progress. If we finish 5th but 10 points better off and go further in the cups then I'll be happy. I would like to see Porteous, Shaw and Murray all improve as players, Kamberi recapture his form and Allan to light up the league again. Beat ****ing Hearts at home twice as well, and the old firm once each.

I'd take this too, although being pernickety I'd like to see Shaw improve out on loan somewhere he can get 90mins more weeks than not, hopefully a bottom 6 side will take him and get the best out of him.

JimBHibees
05-07-2019, 08:58 AM
Top 4 and at least one good cup run would be a good season for us.

The league can wait until next year :greengrin

Got to be that and think we should finish above both Hearts and Killie. Minumum semi final in one of the cups though as Hearts showed this season that is very dependent on the luck of the draw.

number9dream
05-07-2019, 05:09 PM
What we have just now will finish top 6, but that’ll be 5th or 6th. We lack players in midfield and up front to challenge for top 4. We need a couple of midfielders and at least one more striker. Players that will go straight into the team and not squad players.

This is where I am right now but we all expect a few more changes to the squad before the end of August. We've filled gaps in the squad with players of a good age and added a special talent in Allan, albeit a guy who hasn't kicked a ball in 12 months, while Newell could be exciting. The only apparent setback is missing out on the S****horpe guy but presumably we have other targets for that dynamic, defensive midfield role. That is going to be crucial to give the side drive and balance. If we get that right and find a gem in attack, then we can push on and challenge for third (not totally convinced Omeonga & McNulty are those missing elements but finding better may not be realistic and getting them back may be beyond our budget anyway). It would be great if someone like Shaw, Mackie, Murray or Stirling could make a significant breakthrough like Porteous has done, but that's bonus territory.

What other teams do obviously has an impact. Bryson looks a decent replacement for Shinnie but Aberdeen have lost GMS and Lowe and may well sell McKenna (hence bringing the big lump Taylor back).
Kilmarnock could lose one or both of their excellent full-backs and might struggle to get Mulumbu back for a third time, with Jones already away to sit on the Rangers bench. It will be interesting to see what calibre of players the Italian coach can attract with a small budget.
Hearts have added some useful players but are losing Djoum and maybe Lee, so will need to find someone solid in the middle of the park, unless Levein is simply bypassing that area altogether next season...

Not long to go now.

Lancs Harp
06-07-2019, 08:58 AM
I think we'll accumulate more points than we did last season and I think we'll be competing for a top four spot although if Im honest I think we are a little behind Aberdeen who I would expect to finish 3rd. I think an ever improving Rangers will mount a challenge to an at best static Celtic this season. We're better than Hearts and I would be surprised to see Killie maintain what they achieved last last season. So my own personal crystal ball is predicting 4th.

Success at Hampden in a cup final would be fantastic.

So hopefully we'll be competing in Europe the season after, I'm saving up for an away leg already :wink:

Stuart93
06-07-2019, 08:59 AM
It’s either going to be a special season and finish 3rd or a disaster and finish 8 or 9th. I can’t see it being in between

Keith_M
06-07-2019, 09:28 AM
So, as far as I can make out from the posts on this thread, nobody appears to have suddenly developed inflated ideas of what we're going to achieve under a new owner.

That's not how it's being painted in some corners of the press and (so I've been told) on Kickback

SquashedFrogg
06-07-2019, 09:32 AM
It’s either going to be a special season and finish 3rd or a disaster and finish 8 or 9th. I can’t see it being in between

So you can't see us finising 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th?

Eyrie
06-07-2019, 09:48 AM
I see Kilmarnock slipping back without Clarke and Hearts finished last season with more room for improvement than we did, so top four is my expectation and no reason why we shouldn't challenge Aberdeen for third. Cup runs are dependent on the draw but over 90 minutes there isn't a team in Scotland that scares me.

Elsewhere I see Celtc doing enough to win the league ahead of Sevco, and one of the cups as well. Don't think they'll win another treble, so let's make sure we're the ones to get that other cup.

Meanwhile, remind all the Celtc fans that between us, our two clubs have won the last ten domestic trophies. Confuses the hell out of them.

hibbyfraelibby
06-07-2019, 10:53 AM
The cup double and 2nd or 3rd. Celtic are going backwards, the Thes are providing stiffer opposition so the uglies will take points off each other allowing the rest to stay in touch. Get to the split in 3rd or 4th and then pick up 15pts.

Later today I will wake up...

CloudSquall
06-07-2019, 11:23 AM
Celtic will win the league, Rangers won't be too far behind, and I think Aberdeen have enough to cover 3rd albeit miles behind The Rangers.

I think with how the squad is shaping up we'll be battling it out with Hearts for 4th.

Hopefully we get a couple of trips to Hampden this season too.

H18S NX
06-07-2019, 04:02 PM
7th

Vault Boy
06-07-2019, 04:03 PM
Above 7th

KDY Hibs
06-07-2019, 04:08 PM
3rd.

A Hi-Bee
06-07-2019, 04:14 PM
As long as we do better than last season then that's progress slow but sure.
:thumbsup:

Pedantic_Hibee
06-07-2019, 04:36 PM
Treble. Probably the Nobel Peace Prize too.

GreenCastle
06-07-2019, 04:44 PM
Expecting the champions league

Greencore
06-07-2019, 04:48 PM
Scottish Cup winners.

weecounty hibby
06-07-2019, 04:51 PM
Scottish Cup winners.
The Tache handing the cup to Sir David would be a sight to behold

erin go bragh
06-07-2019, 06:39 PM
Treble 💰💰💰🏆🏆🏆

Sweet Left Peg
06-07-2019, 10:32 PM
We are in such a good position right now. But we need to be realistic. We cannot just start spending the money it would take to break the OF domination of the league, all of a sudden. It would be foolish to try to do so immediately.

I'd take things over the medium term from here. Top four consistently, challenging for cups each season along with a year on year increase in the quality and quantity of youth players breaking through. Attract the best young kids we can, develop them in the best possible way, give them their chance and sell them on. If we take that over the next ten years then imagine where we would be with that model?

There is no rush for us. There is no pressure. We are moving forward and making positive progress. In terms of this coming season, I'd be happy to see us finish top four, fighting for Europe, challenging for the cups, with Porteous, Mackie, Murray and Shaw kicking on with a few others taking their chance too. If we can sell someone for top dollar as well then it can only be in our favour, long term. Obviously with a clean sweep of the puddle drinkers too.

Hibbyradge
06-07-2019, 10:36 PM
I have no expectations.

Scouse Hibee
06-07-2019, 10:43 PM
Top 5

HoboHarry
06-07-2019, 10:45 PM
Expecting the champions league

You lack ambition if that's all you expect. I have that on my list along with Emma Stone chapping my door demanding a wild night with me ......

Greencore
06-07-2019, 10:59 PM
We are in such a good position right now. But we need to be realistic. We cannot just start spending the money it would take to break the OF domination of the league

What about spending money to be ahead of Aberdeen and hearts?

Diclonius
06-07-2019, 11:14 PM
Half time today: avoid relegation.
Full time today: win the league.

Halmyre Hibee
06-07-2019, 11:15 PM
No reason why we can’t be 3rd and do well in the cups.

Hibbyradge
06-07-2019, 11:24 PM
This thread asks for expectations, not hopes.

ronaldo7
06-07-2019, 11:53 PM
4th, Europe again please.

AB Hibby
07-07-2019, 12:07 AM
Half time today: avoid relegation.
Full time today: win the league.

This sounds about right

Sweet Left Peg
07-07-2019, 02:07 AM
What about spending money to be ahead of Aberdeen and hearts?

Same applies. We can't just spend money for the sake of it. The way forward for us, initially, is to attract the best kids in the country and progress them. Give them the chance to perform in the first team and if they are good enough, sell them on. But there has to be that attraction that brings the kids to the club in the first place - the best training, the best facilities, the best development, the opportunity to gain first team experience and a proven track of progression for them which I'd say is here already.

We can push the boat out to a certain degree to make sure we have proven quality players to supplement that, but to say we have to spend more that Hearts, or Aberdeen or whoever is crazy. Look at what Killie have achieved over the last two seasons. It's clearly not all about how much you spend in this league but how well you spend it on the team.

I'm not concerned about spending more than team X,Y,or Z. I just want it to be on the right assets. That might be an up and coming kid from the Championship or a proven goalscorer from the Albanian League.

We are on such a good foundation but it can't be *****ed away chasing the quick fix. We've seen enough of that, in this country, over the last few years.

Dr What If?
07-07-2019, 07:44 AM
I was disappointed this year we did not get fourth so I guess that was my expectation and I wouldn't say that has changed, third would be great but again not would not be necessarily unexpected - we are a big enough club to see that as realistic but the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts, Killie will be saying the same.
Off the park I would expect we would be moving to a youth model similar to the likes of Ajax....similar to what so many have said before, if we are going to start splashing cash I would like that to be on having the best youth system anywhere, scaled to our size. Facilities play their part but I want to see us get in the best coaches, strategist, scouts, etc. with a target of having a team in a few years time dominated by home grown players that are the envy of anyone.

cocteautwin
07-07-2019, 08:49 AM
5th, in line with our budget and one Hampden semi final. Hope for better.

southsider
07-07-2019, 09:21 AM
5th, in line with our budget and one Hampden semi final. Hope for better.

Perhaps Ron could sell our home games to Spanish speaking football loving cable tv viewers. Heard one of his channels regularly got 20m. A dollar a year from these guys would do us fine. Ron could just be the man to bring this off.

The Wireless
07-07-2019, 10:03 AM
:flag:
We are in such a good position right now. But we need to be realistic. We cannot just start spending the money it would take to break the OF domination of the league, all of a sudden. It would be foolish to try to do so immediately.

I'd take things over the medium term from here. Top four consistently, challenging for cups each season along with a year on year increase in the quality and quantity of youth players breaking through. Attract the best young kids we can, develop them in the best possible way, give them their chance and sell them on. If we take that over the next ten years then imagine where we would be with that model?

There is no rush for us. There is no pressure. We are moving forward and making positive progress. In terms of this coming season, I'd be happy to see us finish top four, fighting for Europe, challenging for the cups, with Porteous, Mackie, Murray and Shaw kicking on with a few others taking their chance too. If we can sell someone for top dollar as well then it can only be in our favour, long term. Obviously with a clean sweep of the puddle drinkers too.

Northernhibee
07-07-2019, 10:21 AM
Top six. A couple of younger players breaking through too.

blackpoolhibs
07-07-2019, 10:25 AM
Minimum top 4, anything else is failure as usual. Cups are a lottery, so no expectations there at all.

Hampden would be nice, and with a favourable draw would be great.

Since452
07-07-2019, 10:34 AM
Top 4 minimum. At least one semi final

Hibernia&Alba
07-07-2019, 11:43 AM
Realistically, around fourth, with a decent run in at least one of the cups. Same I expect most years really.

stantonsboots
07-07-2019, 11:52 AM
Top 4,1 cup final

Wilson
07-07-2019, 12:33 PM
Selfie with the majorettes and plenty of American mustard on my chilli dog.

Tug Wilson
07-07-2019, 01:19 PM
Not sure I like sticking a position in the league as an objective.

There is only really one team that must win the league to have a successful season. Celtic.

The Rangers want to compete with them but will probably be happy to just close the gap again. They desperately need to to win their first major silverware so the cups are really important to them.

Then there are the best of the rest teams. Us, Aberdeen and Them. If we are competing with these clubs for 3rd to 5th then it is an acceptable season. But only just. We all know that with the right squad, good management and a little bit of luck then we can get well in front of the best of the rest and even push The Rangers for 2nd.

There are top 6 wild card teams like Kilmarnock (who will do well to replicate last season), Motherwell and St Johnstone. They will be fighting for that last spot in the top 6 but could get into the best of the rest race.

Hamilton, Livingston, St Mirren and Ross County will just be looking at top flight survival.

Cups are difficult to predict as they always have shock results along the way. We are good enough to win them but need that little bit of luck to do so. No point setting winning them as a cast iron goal.

Let's just see how the season pans out.

Solonleith1
07-07-2019, 01:24 PM
4th for me please. Acknowledging it's still early days but I strongly believe hecky has made some astute signings which leaves us stronger depth wise and quality wise. More depth up front and 4th is realistic. Teams around us last season are weaker imo. Kilmarnock much weaker. Hearts still hoofball merchants. Aberdeen weaker too. It's all to play for.

PatHead
07-07-2019, 06:12 PM
Anything less than 3rd is disappointing. With a favourable draw at least one cup final.

The Leith Dutch
08-07-2019, 08:15 AM
I don't think the new owner makes a particular difference unless he's going to be significantly altering the wage structure which is probably the principle reason we would lose out on a player to the likes of Aberdeen or lower league English teams. For the record I wouldn't expect him to do that directly as dropping money like that is a fool's game. We need to build revenue to do that.

As far as expectations go it's difficult to say as I think we're very likely 2 starters short in midfield.
The midfield as it currently stands will struggle unless it's a game against a team where we're constantly attacking.

I expect we'll sign those players btw but who we sign will be instrumental to how our season turns out imo.
2 decent midfielders will shield the defence and provide a platform for the decent attacking players we have.
Get that right and no reason we can't be in the mix for best of the rest.