PDA

View Full Version : Strikers

The Harp Awakes
03-07-2019, 09:45 PM
Despite the fact we've made several signings, including Doidge, we seem to have very limited choices up front.

There must be question marks as to whether Kamberi will rediscover the form he showed in his loan spell. Oli Shaw has not shown enough to be playing in the first team. Doidge scored a shed load of goals last season and could be shrewd acquisition, but he scored his goals in League 2 so again there has to be a doubt he will be as prolific in the SPFL.

I think we need to be bringing in 1 more striker, maybe 2.

Bob Box Fish
03-07-2019, 09:49 PM
Despite the fact we've made several signings, including Doidge, we seem to have very limited choices up front.

There must be question marks as to whether Kamberi will rediscover the form he showed in his loan spell. Oli Shaw has not shown enough to be playing in the first team. Doidge scored a shed load of goals last season and could be shrewd acquisition, but he scored his goals in League 2 so again there has to be a doubt he will be as prolific in the SPFL.

I would agree, I get the impression we are banking on a loan deal for McNulty, will be interesting to see how Moon does if he gets a few more games as a trialist.

The Leith Dutch
03-07-2019, 10:13 PM

I would agree, I get the impression we are banking on a loan deal for McNulty, will be interesting to see how Moon does if he gets a few more games as a trialist.

For the record their League stats from last season:

McNulty: 7 goals 4 assists
61% shots on target from 28
168 minutes per goal

1174 minutes played

Shaw: 6 goals 3 assists
61% shots on target from 23

186 minutes per goal

1117 minutes played

3 of McNulty's were Penalties for the record (they still need scored mind ;) )

McNulty probably contributes more from what I saw last season to add to those stats.

Not having a go btw - just happen to think we shouldn't go overboard to get McNulty and
we shouldn't be too keen to shove Shaw out on loan - he's a good option to have and we're unlikely
to bring in someone with that kind of goal record who's not going to get huffy being on the bench a lot.

Franck Stanton
03-07-2019, 10:17 PM
For the record their League stats from last season:

McNulty: 7 goals 4 assists
61% shots on target from 28
168 minutes per goal

1174 minutes played

Shaw: 6 goals 3 assists
61% shots on target from 23

186 minutes per goal

1117 minutes played

3 of McNulty's were Penalties for the record (they still need scored mind ;) )

McNulty probably contributes more from what I saw last season to add to those stats.

Not having a go btw - just happen to think we shouldn't go overboard to get McNulty and
we shouldn't be too keen to shove Shaw out on loan - he's a good option to have and we're unlikely
to bring in someone with that kind of goal record who's not going to get huffy being on the bench a lot.

Good point, well made.

Northernhibee
03-07-2019, 10:46 PM
Shaw has picked up pace in pre season training. He caught out their back line a few times.

Diclonius
03-07-2019, 10:58 PM
Our new striker has played half a game. He'll come good.

Hermit Crab
03-07-2019, 11:20 PM
Our new striker has played half a game. He'll come good.

He better, without being over critical based on 45 minutes he didn't do very much, also a shocker of a penalty.

Ozyhibby
03-07-2019, 11:23 PM
Shaw has picked up pace in pre season training. He caught out their back line a few times.

He looked very fast tonight. Finishing needs a bit of work though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac_17
04-07-2019, 08:38 AM
I’m hoping with the return of Scott Allan that Kamberi and Shaw hit decent form. From watching Flo last season I always felt that Allan was the missing piece.

CapitalGreen
04-07-2019, 08:41 AM
He better, without being over critical based on 45 minutes he didn't do very much, also a shocker of a penalty.

In your opinion, who did do very much last night?

H18 SFR
04-07-2019, 08:45 AM
Even 45 mins of seeing Scott Allan again convinced me that any of our strikers will score goals this season.

we are hibs
04-07-2019, 08:47 AM

Has he picked up a bit of pace or just playing against slower defenders last night?

Aldo
04-07-2019, 08:52 AM
We cannot go into next season as Shaw as one of our main/recognised strikers. 4th at best for me.

Northernhibee
04-07-2019, 09:24 AM
Has he picked up a bit of pace or just playing against slower defenders last night?
No, he was Boyle fast.

HFC 0-7
04-07-2019, 09:29 AM
No, he was Boyle fast.

Making my people faster is one of the most difficult things to do for pro footballers, normally losing weight can make them faster off the line but shaw didn’t look like he had weight to lose. I suspect it’s slower defenders rather than him being faster.

H18 SFR
04-07-2019, 09:33 AM
Making my people faster is one of the most difficult things to do for pro footballers, normally losing weight can make them faster off the line but shaw didn’t look like he had weight to lose. I suspect it’s slower defenders rather than him being faster.

If anything I felt Shaw looked bigger across his chest and more so upper back/shoulders.

Weir07
04-07-2019, 09:36 AM
Think we should definitely keep Shaw, 4th striker is about right and if he gets a decent amount of game time, he'll develop into an accomplished SPL forward. McNulty is class at our level and he'll be a key player if we can get him. I know next to nothing about Doidge but he's been bought for a fee, so must be a starter, unless he proves otherwise. For me I'd let Kamberi go, I honestly believe his loan spell at the end of the 2017/18 season was a purple patch and last season he showed the actual player he is, a dreadful first touch and little awareness when he has the ball (basically head down and run with it, until he miss-controls or gets tackled), so if we could get a fee for him and look to get a 3rd\2nd choice striker in, we'd be in a reasonable position to start the season from a forward perspective.

ancient hibee
04-07-2019, 09:46 AM

Exactly why sending him out on loan to a lower league is not a good idea.

Hermit Crab
04-07-2019, 10:13 AM
In your opinion, who did do very much last night?

Scott Allan.

Ozyhibby
04-07-2019, 10:16 AM

Putting on muscle can make a player faster and it looks like that has happened. He looked lightning quick last night.

IncredibleHibee
04-07-2019, 10:29 AM
Putting on muscle can make a player faster and it looks like that has happened. He looked lightning quick last night.

Yes, this is correct. Losing weight (if you are already athletic) doesn’t make you faster, putting on muscle/increasing strength does. That’s why all sprinters are so muscular

Stuart93
04-07-2019, 10:31 AM
I actually remember watching Shaw towards the end of last season and thinking he looked a lot quicker

hibbydad
04-07-2019, 10:33 AM
Shaw might have been quick but did nothing with it when he got into good positions

Greenbeard
04-07-2019, 01:28 PM
Think we should definitely keep Shaw, 4th striker is about right and if he gets a decent amount of game time, he'll develop into an accomplished SPL forward. McNulty is class at our level and he'll be a key player if we can get him. I know next to nothing about Doidge but he's been bought for a fee, so must be a starter, unless he proves otherwise. For me I'd let Kamberi go, I honestly believe his loan spell at the end of the 2017/18 season was a purple patch and last season he showed the actual player he is, a dreadful first touch and little awareness when he has the ball (basically head down and run with it, until he miss-controls or gets tackled), so if we could get a fee for him and look to get a 3rd\2nd choice striker in, we'd be in a reasonable position to start the season from a forward perspective.
100%

G B Young
04-07-2019, 02:31 PM
I note that Lawrence Shankland has signed for Dundee United. He was one that was being touted as worth a punt due to his goalscoring exploits for Ayr, but the fact he's chosen to stay in the second tier possibly indicates that the player himself knows he's not good enough for the top flight.

I agree that we seem a little light up front, but as others have mentioned Kamberi became a shadow of the player he had been due, largely, to the lack of service from a midfield that no longer contained McGinn, Allan or McGeouch. This compilation shows how he thrived on their service:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5sa5VMQLIU

If he can regain that sort of confidence we're likely to fare pretty well up front.

BSEJVT
05-07-2019, 07:13 AM
I note that Lawrence Shankland has signed for Dundee United. He was one that was being touted as worth a punt due to his goalscoring exploits for Ayr, but the fact he's chosen to stay in the second tier possibly indicates that the player himself knows he's not good enough for the top flight.

I agree that we seem a little light up front, but as others have mentioned Kamberi became a shadow of the player he had been due, largely, to the lack of service from a midfield that no longer contained McGinn, Allan or McGeouch. This compilation shows how he thrived on their service:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5sa5VMQLIU

If he can regain that sort of confidence we're likely to fare pretty well up front.

I would love to have that Kamberi back

He was so poor last season I had forgotten how good he could be.

He looked yards quicker too

JimBHibees
05-07-2019, 07:23 AM

Without being critical :greengrin

Centre Hawf
05-07-2019, 07:25 AM
Shaw would be my third choice striker for sure. The lad has come through for us and scored some important goals already in his short career. I really do not understand the want to disregard him from some supporters. It's a huge season for him and I'd rather he be here to make the impression than at a Morton or Dundee