PDA

View Full Version : Oli Shaw

ThatDayInMay
03-07-2019, 08:50 PM
Despite Dempster’s insistence that Oli Shaw is ‘one of the best young players in Europe’, I can’t help but feel he would seriously benefit from a loan move away from the club (Possibly Championship) in order to aid in his development.

By no means is this opinion solely based on his performance tonight.

Surely I can’t be the only one that thinks this? 🤔

yerauldda
03-07-2019, 08:52 PM
We don’t have enough strikers to do so at the moment.

JimboHibs
03-07-2019, 08:53 PM
Lol if its by no means solely based on his performance tonight , did it not occur to you to state this and start a thread re Shaw before the game ?

supermcginn
03-07-2019, 08:55 PM
He will be away on loan, I know others do but I just dont rate him at all.

we are hibs
03-07-2019, 08:55 PM
Lol if its by no means solely based on his performance tonight , did it not occur to you to state this and start a thread re Shaw before the game ?

Tbf people have been saying it for long enough. He currently is miles off being a starter at hibs.

JDT
03-07-2019, 08:56 PM
He's still young and can improve but he needs to do it fast. Maybe playing every week against championship defenders would do him good.

04Sauzee
03-07-2019, 08:57 PM
I haven't missed this at all during the summer

ThatDayInMay
03-07-2019, 09:00 PM

Been contemplating starting one for a while.

It’s clear too see that Shaw has a lot of qualities but he’s still very ‘raw’ which is only natural for a player of his age. This wasn’t created to bash the guy, he obviously has potential. It’s only an opinion at the end of the day.

And a number of his performances last season as well as tonight have contributed to this opinion. Hence the ‘no means solely based on tonight’ comment.

I’ll make sure to check with you first in future Jimbo 😂

bingo70
03-07-2019, 09:02 PM
All his best form for Hibs came before Heckingbottom came in, that may be confidence or the system we played, whatever the reason Heckingbottom has to be having concerns about going into next season relying on him, even as an option to come off the bench.

Imo Shaw needs a good Pre-season to prove to Heckers he can rely on him, not been a great start to that by the sounds of it.

PH91
03-07-2019, 09:03 PM

The op did say not solely; so partly down to tonight and probably partly down to the end of last season.

As long as we can get another couple forwards in i think a loan out to an upper championship team and games every week for the first half of this season would do him the world of good.

ThatDayInMay
03-07-2019, 09:05 PM
Tbf people have been saying it for long enough. He currently is miles off being a starter at hibs.

My point exactly. The sky is the limit with regards to his potential but there are a few question marks regarding whether or not he’s good enough for the first team at this stage.

I want to see him do well, I really do.

ThatDayInMay
03-07-2019, 09:06 PM
The op did say not solely; so partly down to tonight and probably partly down to the end of last season.

As long as we can get another couple forwards in i think a loan out to an upper championship team and games every week for the first half of this season would do him the world of good.

Exactly 👍🏼.

ThatDayInMay
03-07-2019, 09:08 PM
All his best form for Hibs came before Heckingbottom came in, that may be confidence or the system we played, whatever the reason Heckingbottom has to be having concerns about going into next season relying on him, even as an option to come off the bench.

Imo Shaw needs a good Pre-season to price to Heckers he can rely on him, not been a great start to that by the sounds of it.

I agree 👍🏼.

Nicho87
03-07-2019, 09:10 PM
Didn’t see game tonight. But if we want best of the rest, oil shaw shouldn’t be the striker. Nothing against the boy but needs a year away to toughen up imo.

ancient hibee
03-07-2019, 09:17 PM
Have never understood how it improves a player to go and play with poorer players instead of competing with players at a higher level.

Bob Box Fish
03-07-2019, 09:19 PM
I don’t think Shaw has improved any since he broke into the first team maybe playing every week will do him the world of good. You will always compare him to Riordan, O’Conner and Cummings who improved with age.

Northernhibee
03-07-2019, 09:19 PM
He did a lot well tonight.

DTS
03-07-2019, 09:21 PM
I think Oli will make it at hibs and as a back up 3rd or 4th striker for this season we’ll struggle to get better. That being said I don’t think another season of him sitting on the bench will allow him to progress for me, I think we should loan him out to a livi, st mirren etc or a top end champ team where they can guarantee him game time and only initially until January. Obviously only if we sign a striker, loaning until jan would let us get him back in if we’re short due to injury or form of other strikers and also if he’s bang in form he’s back with us firing.

Edit. He scored one less as mcnulty scored on the last day

bingo70
03-07-2019, 09:22 PM
Have never understood how it improves a player to go and play with poorer players instead of competing with players at a higher level.

Suppose the hope is that his problem is that it’s a confidence issue and a fresh start somewhere else might just let him try and get his confidence back without the baggage of poor form hanging over him.

From the squads perspective I don’t think he’s good enough and I don’t see anyone buying him, he has a contract though so we need to honour it, sending him out on loan is the most likely way to create a space in our squad for someone who will hopefully make more of an impact in the first team.

Here’s Lucy!
03-07-2019, 09:23 PM
He did a lot well tonight.

Good on you for being there. :aok:

I will have to take your word for it as I didn’t travel.

He must have improved from last season for you to be saying this.

Pretty Boy
03-07-2019, 09:25 PM
I find Shaw a strange one.

When he initially appeared in the 1st team I thought he was a finisher but didn't offer much else, perhaps understandable at his age. Then towards the end of last season he made a couple of appearances and looked more involved and lively than ever but his predatory instinct seemed to have deserted him, he was hesitant in front of goal and missed a few chances I would have expected him to bury. I've only spoken to a couple of people who were at the game tonight but both said Shaw looked decent on the ball but missed a really good chance. I'm not sure if that's progress and the finishing will return or cause for concern.

Either way I don't see Shaw going on loan as being beneficial to anyone in terms of developmemt. He's at an age now where he needs to be knocking on the door at Hibs and contributing when he gets a chance. If he goes now then it's creating space and buying time imo.

ancient hibee
03-07-2019, 09:27 PM
Suppose the hope is that his problem is that it’s a confidence issue and a fresh start somewhere else might just let him try and get his confidence back without the baggage of poor form hanging over him.

From the squads perspective I don’t think he’s good enough and I don’t see anyone buying him, he has a contract though so we need to honour it, sending him out on loan is the most likely way to create a space in our squad for someone who will hopefully make more of an impact in the first team.
Moving him out on loan to create a space is a more honest way to go about it.Thinking it will turn him into a better player by playing at a lower level is not the way.He either has to do it at our level or he’s no good to us.

DTS
03-07-2019, 09:28 PM
Also, Oli shaw scored the same amount of league goals as Mark mcnulty in significantly less game time last season, food for thought. He scored winning goals against st mirren and Hamilton and also rescued us a point against st Johnstone, Dundee and st mirren. All these games bar St J during a period of when we were rotten yet he doesn’t seem to get the same “ he had poor service” excuse that mcnulty and kamberi regularly get.

AgentDaleCooper
03-07-2019, 09:31 PM
his minutes per goal ratio must be pretty decent

jacomo
03-07-2019, 09:33 PM
He's still young and can improve but he needs to do it fast. Maybe playing every week against championship defenders would do him good.

He can score goals though. Yes, he needs to improve aspects of his game, but he’s already shown he’s got the key asset as a striker.

DTS
03-07-2019, 09:34 PM
his minutes per goal ratio must be pretty decent

186 minutes per goal in the league last season so one every 2 games

PH91
03-07-2019, 09:37 PM

Playing regular, competitive games against senior professionals is a good way to improve, rather than reserve/development/whatever it is now games plus 5-10 minute cameos here and there for the first team, which is all Oli was getting at the tail end of last season.

easty
03-07-2019, 09:37 PM
I like him. He’s still young, he’s still got to improve but he’s def got potential.

If he’s not going to get games. If we’re going to sign another striker, then he prob should go out on loan.

Daydreamer
03-07-2019, 09:38 PM

He's 21 now so not really a young player. It's four year since his debut for Hibs so this is the make or break season for him. He must do more physically against the better teams in the league and take a booking or two to unsettle the experienced defenders.

Northernhibee
03-07-2019, 09:53 PM
Good on you for being there. :aok:

I will have to take your word for it as I didn’t travel.

He must have improved from last season for you to be saying this.

He seems to have picked up pace. He closed people down well, beat their back line when chasing a flick on and with more composure could have had a couple.

brog
03-07-2019, 10:00 PM
He's 21 now so not really a young player. It's four year since his debut for Hibs so this is the make or break season for him. He must do more physically against the better teams in the league and take a booking or two to unsettle the experienced defenders.

He played 20 minutes as a sub 4 years ago. He only really started getting involved with the 1st team 2 years ago when He was 19. I'm not sure why taking a booking or 2 against experienced defenders makes you a better player? I dont remember Fletch, Deek or Garry O picking up many bookings for being over physical. He's scored against Celtc & Aberdeen & should have been credited with a goal at Tynie. That's not bad but he won't get better by sitting on the bench.

Baader
03-07-2019, 10:50 PM
I like Oli. I'd like to see him used more as I think he can finish but needs a run. Not too sure he will get that though and this is really make or break season I'd imagine.

03-07-2019, 11:24 PM
Not a bad player but very light weight and inexperienced. A loan move to a Championship club where we can get a regular start would probably be the best option for him at this point. Allow him to learn his game more and build some confidence.

Hermit Crab
03-07-2019, 11:26 PM
Not good enough imo, time to move him on.

Ozyhibby
03-07-2019, 11:28 PM
He looks like he’s been in the gym over the summer and it has made him faster. I don’t think he should be out on loan. It’s time for him to step up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ringothedog
04-07-2019, 01:03 PM
He seems to have picked up pace. He closed people down well, beat their back line when chasing a flick on and with more composure could have had a couple.

His movement last night was good his finishing was awful. If we don’t bring in another striker soon we will struggle to score goals as Kamberi imo was poor last night as well

superfurryhibby
04-07-2019, 01:10 PM
I really hope Shaw has a big season. He's at the stage where he needs to do the business or his Hibs career will be over. No loans needed, just establish himself as a first team player. Players develop at different ages. I seem to recall that Riordan was the same age before he really made it as a first team player. Shaw has talent, but this season is make or break for him.

Sioux
04-07-2019, 01:15 PM
The Hibs.net myth that going out on loan is some kind of magic wand rears its ugly head again.

craigiehibs
04-07-2019, 01:21 PM
The Hibs.net myth that going out on loan is some kind of magic wand rears its ugly head again.

he is. just no decided where

Smartie
04-07-2019, 01:34 PM

Some of the world's best players have been out on loan, and look back on the spell as being career defining.

Playing regular football is important in a player's development. Shaw looks to me like he has done as much as he can without playing first team football every week. If he cannot get that with us he needs to get it elsewhere. 5, 10 minutes here or there is simply not enough, he needs to be starting games.

I'm still torn on him. There's clearly something there, he clearly has talent but often looks a bit lost. I don't think I've ever seen a player look more like he needs to go out on loan, as I don't think he looks ready to play for us every week and he gets nothing out of training, making fleeting appearances for the first team and tearing it up for the development side.

The 90+2
04-07-2019, 01:36 PM
I would play him. It’s the only way Garry Deeks and Miller got their chance, a run of games. He’s at least Tam McManus level.

supermcginn
04-07-2019, 01:37 PM
Regular football would improve any player, its hardly a myth. Anyway we will find out soon how he gets on away from here.

The 90+2
04-07-2019, 01:37 PM

It’s not a myth.

Scouse Hibee
04-07-2019, 02:14 PM
Despite Dempster’s insistence that Oli Shaw is ‘one of the best young players in Europe’, I can’t help but feel he would seriously benefit from a loan move away from the club (Possibly Championship) in order to aid in his development.

By no means is this opinion solely based on his performance tonight.

Surely I can’t be the only one that thinks this? 🤔

Not sure who said he was one of the best young players in Europe but it’s total nonsense, the best young players of his age in Europe are playing first team football and some are full internationals. Would love to see Olly grace the first team as a regular but just not convinced he has what’s needed all round.

craigiehibs
04-07-2019, 02:21 PM
Not sure who said he was one of the best young players in Europe but it’s total nonsense, the best young players of his age in Europe are playing first team football and some are full internationals. Would love to see Olly grace the first team as a regular but just not convinced he has what’s needed all round.

the only reason oli wont go on loan is that we camt get the strikers we want in. fact im aftaid

WeeRussell
04-07-2019, 03:29 PM
I'm looking forward to Oli playing an important first team role this season.

Tarrahib
04-07-2019, 03:45 PM
Yes keep him in the squad.Have faith in him.

Unseen work
04-07-2019, 03:51 PM
Shaw certainly has potential and imo if he played the same amount as Flo last season would have scored much more than him.

Delighted to see he has came back faster and stronger and it gives him that extra dimension.

He may have missed a sitter last night but I think he’s a good finisher.

If he was at a bottom 6 club playing every week he would score quite a few and fans would be saying we should go for him.

Lets he patient.

Green_one
04-07-2019, 04:15 PM

There is no excuse for not playing him in all the league cup games against the very teams other would having him playing loan games against. Play him or loan him. Either way give him game time but if we loan we had better have another striker on the way . The golden generation was gifted with game time and supporters patience.

Billy Whizz
04-07-2019, 04:24 PM
he is. just no decided where

Who says?

marinello59
04-07-2019, 04:32 PM
There is no excuse for not playing him in all the league cup games against the very teams other would having him playing loan games against. Play him or loan him. Either way give him game time but if we loan we had better have another striker on the way . The golden generation was gifted with game time and supporters patience.

Or Williamson had to play them as options were limited and Mowbray got the benefit? If Ollie Shaw is in the first team squad then surely he gets game time based on form alone.

Green_one
04-07-2019, 04:42 PM
Or Williamson had to play them as options were limited and Mowbray got the benefit? If Ollie Shaw is in the first team squad then surely he gets game time based on form alone.

He needs game time to build form, bit of a catch 22. If we do not play him against lesser teams then when? Coming on for 10 minutes, often when we are losing, is not the answer. Fletcher played well before he was ready physically and technically. And the second part of the equation is if you drop Shaw who is the backup ?

brog
04-07-2019, 05:38 PM

Agreed. People also seem to forget that Oli's already been out on loan. Even going to a top flight club, say Hamilton or St M would be rosky as he wouldnt have the same quality of players, think Scott A, providing him with chances.
I hope he stays & gets more regular game time.

marinello59
04-07-2019, 05:44 PM
Agreed. People also seem to forget that Oli's already been out on loan. Even going to a top flight club, say Hamilton or St M would be rosky as he wouldnt have the same quality of players, think Scott A, providing him with chances.
I hope he stays & gets more regular game time.

Apparently he appeared in the first team over 30 times last season. He is 21 now. It’s up to him to stake his claim now. I hope he does.

bingo70
04-07-2019, 05:47 PM
He looks like he’s been in the gym over the summer and it has made him faster. I don’t think he should be out on loan. It’s time for him to step up here.

Can you become faster by working in the gym for a couple of months?

Surely by the age of whatever he is he’ll be as fast as he’s likely to get.

Was he no just up against a slow defender?

Bangkok Hibby
04-07-2019, 05:50 PM

Absolutely. Give him the minutes he'll reward us with goals.

blackpoolhibs
04-07-2019, 05:57 PM

If you build your leg muscles up, the strength you put into them can give you more pace.

bingo70
04-07-2019, 06:01 PM
If you build your leg muscles up, the strength you put into them can give you more pace.

Get the theory of it but if it was as simple as a few weeks of hard work in the gym to make yourself faster would all players not just do that?

FWIW he surprised me with his pace in a game last season, I suspect he’s just a bit faster than people think rather than being any great difference being made over the summer.

Ozyhibby
04-07-2019, 06:09 PM

You can definitely get a lot faster by spending time in the gym. It’s probably been more than a couple of months though.

blackpoolhibs
04-07-2019, 06:11 PM
Get the theory of it but if it was as simple as a few weeks of hard work in the gym to make yourself faster would all players not just do that?

FWIW he surprised me with his pace in a game last season, I suspect he’s just a bit faster than people think rather than being any great difference being made over the summer.

Not all players can do it i'd imagine, i think you would notice it more when slim guys like shaw do it, although you dont see too many stocky guys playing football these days.

The guys at the top of the game are already in tip top condition, further down the food chain, things like this can make a difference, just how many want to do it is the question? :greengrin

Ozyhibby
04-07-2019, 06:12 PM

It’s not easy, it’s about building explosive power rather than just bulking up. Surprisingly lots of players and club neglect this side of the game. The Americans are way ahead when it comes to this sort of thing. I required a lot of graft though over and above normal training.

Smartie
04-07-2019, 06:15 PM
Not all players can do it i'd imagine, i think you would notice it more when slim guys like shaw do it, although you dont see too many stocky guys playing football these days.

The guys at the top of the game are already in tip top condition, further down the food chain, things like this can make a difference, just how many want to do it is the question? :greengrin

Can it not go the other way if you're not careful? Bulk up too much and you lose a bit of pace.

I seem to remember Hartley going on about it when he went to Dundee - the players preferred to have a bit of muscle that they could show off on instagram rather than actually be the optimum shape for a footballer, which involved being built less for bulk and more for speed.

blackpoolhibs
04-07-2019, 06:19 PM
Can it no go the other way if you're not careful? Bulk up too much and you lose a bit of pace.

I seem to remember Hartley going on about it when he went to Dundee - the players preferred to have a bit of muscle that they could show off on instagram rather than actually be the optimum shape for a footballer, which involved being built less for bulk and more for speed.

Aye it probably could.

bingo70
04-07-2019, 06:26 PM
It’s not easy, it’s about building explosive power rather than just bulking up. Surprisingly lots of players and club neglect this side of the game. The Americans are way ahead when it comes to this sort of thing. I required a lot of graft though over and above normal training.

Risk of going way off topic here but if it’s something you’re interested in there’s a section on it in Andre Agassi’s book.

He was struggling with the pace side of tennis and by coincidence he found himself on a gym within an American football team and he did some work with a boy who’d never played tennis.

Ozyhibby
04-07-2019, 06:37 PM
Can it not go the other way if you're not careful? Bulk up too much and you lose a bit of pace.

As the Americans say, there are ‘show muscles’ and ‘go muscles’ and it’s very different workouts for both.

Ozyhibby
04-07-2019, 06:40 PM
Risk of going way off topic here but if it’s something you’re interested in there’s a section on it in Andre Agassi’s book.

He was struggling with the pace side of tennis and by coincidence he found himself on a gym within an American football team and he did some work with a boy who’d never played tennis.

Ozyhibby jnr lifts weights now and I do a lot of research for him to make sure he is not risking injury. He’s mostly doing it so he can get faster.

hfc rd
04-07-2019, 09:46 PM
The problem with Oli is that he hasn’t been consistent enough at this level when called upon, hence why he hasn’t really started that many games. Compared to someone like a Ryan Porteous who when given the opportunity last season by Lennon had really stamped his place in the starting XI before his injury.

The only way Shaw is going to get game time here is by playing consistently well when called upon. We’ve seen it in flashes but not enough to make you think he’s got a really bright future here and will be on a number of clubs’ radar in a couple of years time. Needs to start grabbing games by the scruff of the neck and showing his true potential. He’s very good at youth level but we’ve had plenty youngsters like that in the past that were unplayable at youth/reserve level but when it came to the first team, they couldn’t cut it.

At 21 years old, he’s at the stage of his career where he needs to start playing regularly. That’s why at the same time, I don’t really see what the problem would be with him going out on loan for 6 months/full season. If he goes to a club where he will be a regular starter and scoring goals, it will do his confidence the world of good. I don’t see how that ain’t better than sitting on our bench and not knowing if he will be called upon.

BILLYHIBS
30-12-2020, 06:58 PM
:na na:

ancient hibee
30-12-2020, 07:01 PM
Shaw played well. Just shows what getting a regular game does.

Billy Whizz
30-12-2020, 07:04 PM

Credit to Oli, didn’t over celebrate. He just loved playing for Hibs

S4uzee
30-12-2020, 07:06 PM

Not really. He played for Hibs a fair few times and never really looked that good. Difference tonight was he was up against Hanlon/Porteous instead of being on the same side

Tarrahib
30-12-2020, 07:20 PM
Credit to Oli, didn’t over celebrate. He just loved playing for Hibs
Yes Billy.You have to give him credit for the way he handled himself tonight and to all the snide remarks he was getting before he left us.

wookie70
30-12-2020, 07:43 PM
He played well tonight. If we got a fee for him it is understandable why he left but he is exactly what we need to put pressure on our front two. He always looked a decent finisher to me and we need that at the moment

Smartie
30-12-2020, 07:55 PM
I mean, he had to do something right to get into the right position to get his easy chance tonight - but how exactly did he manage to find that much space in our box?

That was probably the single thing that bugged me the most.

Ok, Hanlon shouldn't have been skinned the way he was and we could pick up on a few thousand different problems tonight, but that was the main one for me.

ancient hibee
30-12-2020, 07:59 PM
Still not sure where Porteous had gone.

Tarrahib
30-12-2020, 08:26 PM
Still not sure where Porteous had gone.
He left early to pick up his man of the match award.

Alfred E Newman
30-12-2020, 08:31 PM

Guess who got man of the match on the BBC website.

ancient hibee
30-12-2020, 08:35 PM
Guess who got man of the match on the BBC website.

Oli Shaw probably.

judas
30-12-2020, 08:45 PM
Oli Shaw was consistently sub standard at Hibs and it was clear his confidence was gone.

We were right to push him.

But it’s the usual wet breeks and revisionism after a bad game.

500miles
30-12-2020, 08:58 PM
If Oli Shaw was awarded that goal against Hearts, I think he'd still be here. Obviously lacks confidence, but scored some real quality goals. He's technically good and has a burst of pace, so I think Yogi will like him.

Alfred E Newman
30-12-2020, 09:01 PM
Oli Shaw probably.

:agree:

Alfred E Newman
30-12-2020, 09:09 PM
Oli Shaw was consistently sub standard at Hibs and it was clear his confidence was gone.

We were right to push him.

But it’s the usual wet breeks and revisionism after a bad game.

He was singled out by a section of the crowd and hounded out but he’s not the first and he won’t be the last. A few weeks ago young Doig was starting to get the same treatment on here but at least he doesn’t have to read it. There was no escape for Oli , he had to listen to the abuse.

JohnM1875
30-12-2020, 09:20 PM

Where did that come from eh?! Insane choice. Wasn't a lot to choose from mind you. But Porto was a bizarre choice. Annoying after how well he played against Sevco the other day!

Tarrahib
30-12-2020, 09:33 PM
Where did that come from eh?! Insane choice. Wasn't a lot to choose from mind you. But Porto was a bizarre choice. Annoying after how well he played against Sevco the other day!
Yes.There was no player who you could say deserved M o T M.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2020, 10:47 PM
Shaw started about 2 games in his final 18 months. He never got a fair shot IMO.

judas
31-12-2020, 08:58 AM
He was singled out by a section of the crowd and hounded out but he’s not the first and he won’t be the last. A few weeks ago young Doig was starting to get the same treatment on here but at least he doesn’t have to read it. There was no escape for Oli , he had to listen to the abuse.

Disagree.

I thought Hibs fans cut Shaw a length of slack that would not have been given if not for that fact he was a Hibs fan and development player.

Col L
31-12-2020, 09:27 AM
Nothing against Oli but it was right for him to move on. He was never ‘hounded out’. Played well last night and good luck to him.

Coco Bryce
31-12-2020, 09:31 AM

Hounded out? Nah. Lazy in training and not good enough? Yes.

Had the ability but just his heart wasn't really into it.

Phil MaGlass
31-12-2020, 09:42 AM

Complete and utter bollox

Wilson
31-12-2020, 09:44 AM
Hounded out? Nah. Lazy in training and not good enough? Yes.

Had the ability but just his heart wasn't really into it.

Don't buy it. Seemed up for it enough last night.

Plenty dismissed him even after he left. Talking about how Ross County had wasted a six figure sum before the lad has even had a decent run of games for them. Comments like that are more to do with ignorance on their part than laziness on Olly's.

If Ross County stay up by a point last night's result will stand out as one of their more unlikely - he might just have paid back their investment. I hope so and hope he goes on to be a very good player for them.

EI255
31-12-2020, 10:13 AM
Not really. He played for Hibs a fair few times and never really looked that good. Difference tonight was he was up against Hanlon/Porteous instead of being on the same sideSadly, I fear many SPL teams don't fear playing against those two. Hibs HAVE to sign quality, dominant central defenders who are leaders and will die for the shirt. Could we not look at the Croatian or Balkan market. Gotta be better than what we have (and have had).

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Since452
31-12-2020, 10:15 AM
Sadly, I fear many SPL teams don't fear playing against those two. Hibs HAVE to sign quality, dominant central defenders who are leaders and will die for the shirt. Could we not look at the Croatian or Balkan market. Gotta be better than what we have (and have had).

Adam Jackson was a big loss in the summer. I know he wasn't everyone's cup of tea but I thought he was starting to look the part. Also a decent goal threat.

Coco Bryce
31-12-2020, 10:16 AM
Don't buy it. Seemed up for it enough last night.

Plenty dismissed him even after he left. Talking about how Ross County had wasted a six figure sum before the lad has even had a decent run of games for them. Comments like that are more to do with ignorance on their part than laziness on Olly's.

If Ross County stay up by a point last night's result will stand out as one of their more unlikely - he might just have paid back their investment. I hope so and hope he goes on to be a very good player for them.

Ross County is his level.

easty
31-12-2020, 10:18 AM
Sadly, I fear many SPL teams don't fear playing against those two. Hibs HAVE to sign quality, dominant central defenders who are leaders and will die for the shirt. Could we not look at the Croatian or Balkan market. Gotta be better than what we have (and have had).

Fear? In what way?

Our defensive record this season is pretty good. We lose less than a goal a game (0.95 goals per game), the only teams who’ve conceded less are Rangers (0.23 per game), Celtc (0.77 per game), and Aberdeen (0.94 per game).

We need to improve what we do with the ball far more than how we defend without it.

SMAXXA

Bollox simply didn’t happen

easty
Adam Jackson was a big loss in the summer. I know he wasn't everyone's cup of tea but I thought he was starting to look the part. Also a decent goal threat.

He’d have been a sub last night, and for every other game when Hanlon and Porto were fit.

Since452
31-12-2020, 10:25 AM
Oli Shaw wasn't good enough for Hibs. Him scoring a tap in against us for the team bottom of the league doesn't change that.

SMAXXA
31-12-2020, 10:29 AM
Oli Shaw wasn't good enough for Hibs. Him scoring a tap in against us for the team bottom of the league doesn't change that.

Correct

Iain G
31-12-2020, 10:44 AM
Ross County is his level.

Like a lot of younger players he needs a consistent run of games to grow and develop, not sure he ever had that in the Premier League? Maybe it's to late now but there is talent there and hope he does well.

easty
31-12-2020, 10:44 AM

Yep. He’ll prob not score again for Ross Co til about March. Just like his time here, he’s not a very good player.

Hermit Crab
31-12-2020, 10:49 AM

And he still isn't, he won't play for a better team than county.

Smartie
31-12-2020, 10:51 AM

Yeah, I liked him as a player too.

Not sure I'd say he's better than Porto or Hanlon but he was certainly of a similar level, and would have been good to bring in if the form of either dropped off.

makaveli1875
31-12-2020, 11:35 AM
Yep. He’ll prob not score again for Ross Co til about March. Just like his time here, he’s not a very good player.

He was doing well when Lennon was playing him regular and chipped in with a few decent goals , then he got the cold shoulder from Hecky and Ross didnt fancy him . He was a good finisher and cold be quite clever around the box . He just needs a manager that will give him a chance , looks like he might have found the guy in Yogi . Good luck to him , dont get all the shan comments he gets like the 1 above .

Centre Hawf
31-12-2020, 11:59 AM
Oli got unfair grief from some Hibs fans. The lad scored goals for us and had runs of games where he was the only lad capable of scoring. Heckingbottom’s refusal to use him cost his development with us imo.

We could really do with a Shaw atm. Head and shoulders above a Gullan for example.

Bangkok Hibby
31-12-2020, 12:04 PM
I regularly spoke up for him and was sorry to see him go. Agree Heckingbottom didn't help.

Yorkshire HFC
31-12-2020, 12:16 PM

The Balkan market - are you serious?

That's one of the reasons why Scotland have struggled so much recently. I think teams like Hibs have a responsibility to play Scottish players.

How many of the hundreds of foreign players that we've signed have been a success?

1875Sean
31-12-2020, 02:32 PM

Agreed, it’s funny some ex Hibs players have one good game and you hear a lot of people wanting them back, it’s the same for Martin Scott, they might look good but overall it’s in a poor team

judas
31-12-2020, 04:46 PM
The Balkan market - are you serious?

That's one of the reasons why Scotland have struggled so much recently. I think teams like Hibs have a responsibility to play Scottish players.

How many of the hundreds of foreign players that we've signed have been a success?

I think I was Balkan when I read that comment :greengrin

2020 is running out - what next.

wookie70
01-01-2021, 11:00 AM

Shaw has a very good record of scoring when he gets game time. He has scored 3 in the league and 3 in the cup this year at a rate of a goal every 1.6 games for a struggling team. I suggest if he plays the next two or three games he is likely to score as that is what his career record of a goal every 2.3 games would suggest. For reference Doidge has scored at a rate of a goal every 2.2 games for us.

Gullan is 2 goals in league cup and none in the league at a rate of a goal every 2.8 games. Shaw would have been a far better backup than Jamie this season imo. Long term though perhaps Jamie has more promise and if we got a fee for Shaw then I can fully understand the choice that Ollie and the Club made.

Peevemor
01-01-2021, 11:27 AM
Shaw has a very good record of scoring when he gets game time. He has scored 3 in the league and 3 in the cup this year at a rate of a goal every 1.6 games for a struggling team. I suggest if he plays the next two or three games he is likely to score as that is what his career record of a goal every 2.3 games would suggest. For reference Doidge has scored at a rate of a goal every 2.2 games for us.

I could well be wrong, but my memory is that Shaw's best contributions at Hibs were when he came off the bench, and that he never managed to tie down a starting place as he seemed to be less effective.

Since452
01-01-2021, 11:31 AM
Disagree.

I thought Hibs fans cut Shaw a length of slack that would not have been given if not for that fact he was a Hibs fan and development player.

Massively so. Never thought he was hounded out at all. In fact always felt like he could do no wrong. We seem to cut development players a huge amount of slack. Good in a way but they shouldn't be immune to criticism either especially when other players get it absolutely tight. Gullan is another one that people show blind faith in despite not taking his big chances against the likes of Alloa.

MWHIBBIES
01-01-2021, 12:20 PM
I could well be wrong, but my memory is that Shaw's best contributions at Hibs were when he came off the bench, and that he never managed to tie down a starting place as he seemed to be less effective.

You are. Most of his goals scored when starting.

Peevemor
01-01-2021, 12:24 PM
You are. Most of his goals scored when starting.Fair enough. I stand corrected.

500miles
01-01-2021, 12:39 PM

He got the assist too.

Andy74
01-01-2021, 12:59 PM

Gullan is 2 goals in league cup and none in the league at a rate of a goal every 2.8 games. Shaw would have been a far better backup than Jamie this season imo. Long term though perhaps Jamie has more promise and if we got a fee for Shaw then I can fully understand the choice that Ollie and the Club made.

Shaw is a decent finisher but I think just wasn't at the level for where we'd like to be.

Even to make a bigger impact at Ross County I think he needs to do more in his game. He isn't quite good enough as a finisher just to do that but he has very little else that you'd say was a big asset. He's not hugely quick, he's not physical, he doesn't hold it up and he doesn't give defenders a hard game. Decent technically and will score chances like he got the other night.

CMurdoch
01-01-2021, 03:49 PM

Porteous & Hanlon are central defenders who are as good as a club at Hibs level could hope for and they will take some replacing on our budget.
Porteous is as rough and dominant a central defender as can play in the modern game so you ain't getting anyone more physical.
Name a Central Defender in Scottish Football that any player would fear playing against. Players might fear Declan Gallagher if he was drunk in the boozer but not sober and on a football pitch. Name a centre half partnership outside the old firm that is better than ours?
Croatia & the Balkans - WTF. Just some central half geezer that plays there will be better than what we have. Really? Who? Any guy that is good will come with the requisite price tag. They aren't dafties across there.

Wilson
16-01-2021, 03:48 PM
Looks like the prediction of him not scoring again until March was wrong. Good contribution from him today.

BILLYHIBS
16-01-2021, 03:50 PM
One of the best young strikers in Europe

Wilson
16-01-2021, 03:53 PM

Steady.

weecounty hibby
16-01-2021, 03:57 PM
Decent player, always was. Lower half of premier league is where he will play most of his football I think. Would likely be out 3rd choice striker behind Nisbet and Doidge

wookie70
16-01-2021, 04:02 PM
Shaw has scored 2 more goals than Doidge this season for a team who up until today were bottom of the league and been on the pitch just over half teh amount of minutes that Doidge has. Doidge has 3 more assists to be fair.

Billy Whizz
16-01-2021, 04:06 PM
Should still be at Hibs

Itsnoteasy
16-01-2021, 04:09 PM

I'll have some of what your drinking. Thats why he left Hibs for County.

Andy74
16-01-2021, 04:13 PM
Should still be at Hibs

Had his chance and wasn’t good enough.

He wouldn’t be playing now.

Best thing all round that he is now playing a bit more. If he can keep scoring over a prolonged period then maybe he gets a better move again but he’s a way off that just now. Doesn’t do much else in games so he certainly wouldn’t be replacing any of our current strikers.

Coco Bryce
16-01-2021, 04:14 PM
Should still be at Hibs

Rubbish.

Since452
16-01-2021, 04:16 PM
Should still be at Hibs

He shouldn't

Alfred E Newman
16-01-2021, 04:20 PM
Should still be at Hibs

That will hook in a few on here.

Wilson
16-01-2021, 04:24 PM
Had his chance and wasn’t good enough.

He wouldn’t be playing now.

Best thing all round that he is now playing a bit more. If he can keep scoring over a prolonged period then maybe he gets a better move again but he’s a way off that just now. Doesn’t do much else in games so he certainly wouldn’t be replacing any of our current strikers.

I think that's fair.

A few were talking him down and talking Ross County down. The fact is he is scoring goals against the same opponents our strikers have to.

If scoring goals is all he does then Yogi used that to good effect today.

He's better than some on here were saying. That is all.

Peevemor
16-01-2021, 04:29 PM
I think that's fair.

A few were talking him down and talking Ross County down. The fact is he is scoring goals against the same opponents our strikers have to.

If scoring goals is all he does then Yogi used that to good effect today.

He's better than some on here were saying. That is all.Was there not some talk of a buy back clause or something? I don't know how true that is, but maybe Hibs thought he had potential but let him move for a regular start.

Onceinawhile
16-01-2021, 04:31 PM
Scored more in 1 minute v Aberdeen than we've managed in 180 minutes.

Unseen work
16-01-2021, 04:36 PM
Couple of really good finishes in the past month or so for Oli Shaw.

I think the main thing for us to remember is that we do have good players in the squad and have done in the past that have done well for other teams.

People like Shaw, Bartley, Mallan etc (can’t think of more right now off the top of my head) get criticised and told they’re not good enough and need moved on.

But for me it’s the consistency of starting every game and feeling at home in the team which makes them lack confidence to go out and perform the best they can.

People underestimate how hard it is to come into a team and start with expectations to play well when you’ve don’t had regular game time.

supermcginn
16-01-2021, 04:43 PM
Should still be at Hibs

His fee gave us a chunk of the money to sign nisbet. I know who I'd rather have and it isn't Shaw.

MWHIBBIES
16-01-2021, 04:46 PM
His fee gave us a chunk of the money to sign nisbet. I know who I'd rather have and it isn't Shaw.

I think his fee was more likely spent on the January loan signings. I seriously doubt we needed to sell Shaw to afford nisbet. We really should have kept him. 2 first choice strikers, 2 backups in him and gullan to offer something different

Kaff
16-01-2021, 05:06 PM
I like Oli and hope he does well, a starting place up front for a top 4 team has pressure and managers obviously didn't trust him enough to give a run in the team to see if he actually had the qualities required.
Playing every week for Ross County might accelerate his development, I think he does have enough about him to be an SPL regular goalscorer. The advantage of moving to a club for a fee is that the manager usually gives you a proper run in the team and this can allow them to find their feet, I think Kevin Nisbet benefitted from this, rightly so and different situation but Oli benefitting now from Yogi playing him regularly I would think.
Would be delighted if he came back to Hibs if there is a buy back clause and made a success of it

Magpie
16-01-2021, 05:07 PM

Don’t we have a sell on clause too?

Carheenlea
16-01-2021, 05:46 PM
A player who probably needed to move on to give his career a kick forward. Just kind of stalled a bit at Hibs for him and the move does seem to have worked well.

basehibby
16-01-2021, 05:47 PM
It's a tricky one when you have a talented young player but he's not quite ready to be a first pick. You can keep him on the bench for so long but it's not conducive to the development of a player to keep him there indefinitely. Also if you have a good development system then there are other players who maybe deserve a chance as well.
Shaw was a good bit away from being a first pick at Hibs when he left and he still would be on the bench most weeks if he was here now I think - but he's clearly improving by getting games for County. And Hibs cannot afford to keep an infinite number of players on the books - so all round it was a good move for all parties I think. Who knows? Maybe we might see Shaw back in a Hibs strip yet some day? If not he's still well on his way to having a good career and good luck to him.

Dashing Bob S
16-01-2021, 06:04 PM
Can see Shaw at either A’deen or worse, Hearts, and hurting us down the line.

Winston Ingram
16-01-2021, 06:07 PM
Shaw has talent but doesn’t have the character. Far too easily bullied and would often spend afternoons in the back pocket of centre backs and made little or no effort to get out.

EI255
16-01-2021, 06:19 PM
Always good seeing Derek McInnes and his team take a spanking from any team. But Ross County? Lol

You gotta laugh!

His team built of giants have been found out.... Much like a team in maroon once were [emoji16]

Listen to McInnes squirm.....

BBC News - Aberdeen performance 'Not good enough' - Derek McInnes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/55691526

EI255
16-01-2021, 06:35 PM
And on the flip side, a quite brilliant Yogi post match interview...

BBC News - 'Performance had everything' - Ross County manager John Hughes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/55691524

Well done Yogi [emoji106]

hibbydog
16-01-2021, 06:50 PM
Ach, wee Shaw was in and around the first team for 2-3 years and whilst he scored a few he never really looked like being a regular starter. Didn’t really make the bridge from being a promising youngster to a first pick, so it’s probs best he moved on.

Or, maybes you’d say he’s not good enough for where we want to be.

Glad it seems to be going well for him at County though.

MrRobot
16-01-2021, 06:54 PM
Glad to see it going well for him.

Somebody i felt we would have been better sending out on loan rather than selling. He could be a very frustrating player but always felt he just needed some confidence in himself

O'Rourke3
16-01-2021, 07:39 PM
Don’t we have a sell on clause too?Buy back. First refusal.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

lucky
16-01-2021, 07:53 PM
Good luck to him but reality is he’s not good enough for a top 4 premiership team.,

brog
16-01-2021, 08:13 PM
I can't believe some of the comments on here 're Oli having had his chance & not being good enough. The facts would suggest otherwise. Oli only started 16 league games in 4 seasons in the 1st team squad, starting as a 16 year old. He didn't start a league game after Feb 2019 when he was only 20. His last 5 starts were against the uglies, Aberdeen, Hearts & Livi. Despite that he scored 10 league goals in 2 seasons as a teenager/20 year old. If Oli had never been at Hibs this Board would be suggesting we should be monitoring him as many are suggesting about Ross Stewart. Finally, i see posts comparing Oli unfavourably with Kevin N. Kevin's obviously ahead right now but when Kevin was 20 he was playing, regularly, at a much lower level. 16 league starts in 4 seasons isn't really much of a chance!

DetroitHibs
16-01-2021, 08:17 PM
I think Yogi has toughened him up. I always thought he was lacking aggression when playing up front. He was far too easily bullied and looked lost sometimes. Good luck to the lad.

IberianHibernian
16-01-2021, 09:18 PM
I can't believe some of the comments on here 're Oli having had his chance & not being good enough. The facts would suggest otherwise. Oli only started 16 league games in 4 seasons in the 1st team squad, starting as a 16 year old. He didn't start a league game after Feb 2019 when he was only 20. His last 5 starts were against the uglies, Aberdeen, Hearts & Livi. Despite that he scored 10 league goals in 2 seasons as a teenager/20 year old. If Oli had never been at Hibs this Board would be suggesting we should be monitoring him as many are suggesting about Ross Stewart. Finally, i see posts comparing Oli unfavourably with Kevin N. Kevin's obviously ahead right now but when Kevin was 20 he was playing, regularly, at a much lower level. 16 league starts in 4 seasons isn't really much of a chance!Agree entirely . Given value of a good striker , not keeping him could be a very costly decision .

Andy74
16-01-2021, 09:53 PM
I can't believe some of the comments on here 're Oli having had his chance & not being good enough. The facts would suggest otherwise. Oli only started 16 league games in 4 seasons in the 1st team squad, starting as a 16 year old. He didn't start a league game after Feb 2019 when he was only 20. His last 5 starts were against the uglies, Aberdeen, Hearts & Livi. Despite that he scored 10 league goals in 2 seasons as a teenager/20 year old. If Oli had never been at Hibs this Board would be suggesting we should be monitoring him as many are suggesting about Ross Stewart. Finally, i see posts comparing Oli unfavourably with Kevin N. Kevin's obviously ahead right now but when Kevin was 20 he was playing, regularly, at a much lower level. 16 league starts in 4 seasons isn't really much of a chance!
Yeah but you get a game by being good enough.

CMurdoch
16-01-2021, 10:06 PM
I watched the Ross Co game today and thought it was the best Oli has played.
Two very well taken goals, good movement and in the team ahead of Billy McKay.
He has been at Ross Co a while now and has again struggled to establish himself.
However, I think Yogi could be his making by boosting his confidence.
The only fly in the ointment is that Stewart will be fit by next week and there is a chance he could be preferred to Oli.
Well done Oli and Yogi for today. Very impressive.

Alfred E Newman
16-01-2021, 10:21 PM

Good summary. His confidence was shot at Hibs and poor management didn’t help .

brog
16-01-2021, 10:28 PM
I watched the Ross Co game today and thought it was the best Oli has played.
Two very well taken goals, good movement and in the team ahead of Billy McKay.
He has been at Ross Co a while now and has again struggled to establish himself.
However, I think Yogi could be his making by boosting his confidence.

The only fly in the ointment is that Stewart will be fit by next week and there is a chance he could be preferred to Oli.
Well done Oli and Yogi for today. Very impressive.

I don't think there's a chance that Stewart will replace Oli. They could both play but I don't think Stewart has scored a non penalty league goal this season.

Smartie
16-01-2021, 10:35 PM
It was right to let him go.

He should have been out on loan instead of being on the fringes for much of his time with us.

He’ll now be getting the experience he needed to get.

He had more than enough about him that if he worked on the weaknesses in his game he would be good enough for a top 4 side.

At the time he left, he wasn’t there though.

Iggy Pope
16-01-2021, 10:44 PM
Two excellent finishes, looks happy where he is and probably wasn’t happy where he was.
Hope he keeps doing well.

CMurdoch
16-01-2021, 11:05 PM
I don't think there's a chance that Stewart will replace Oli. They could both play but I don't think Stewart has scored a non penalty league goal this season.

As I said I watched the whole game on Alba and he looked very confident and his movement was very good.
Fingers crossed for Oli that he is going to make his mark and finally establish himself as an SPFL striker.
I think Yogi will boost Stewarts confidence as well so they could as you say forge a striking partnership.

Bangkok Hibby
16-01-2021, 11:22 PM

Good post, like you I dont get the "he had his chance" argument.

Magpie
16-01-2021, 11:39 PM
Buy back. First refusal.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

👍🏻

declan macmanus
17-01-2021, 03:55 PM
It was right to let him go.

He should have been out on loan instead of being on the fringes for much of his time with us.

He’ll now be getting the experience he needed to get.

He had more than enough about him that if he worked on the weaknesses in his game he would be good enough for a top 4 side.

At the time he left, he wasn’t there though.

If I recall correctly, Oli consistently refuse to go out on loan as he had a very high opinion of himself. From what I heard at the time he was always knocking on the managers door asking why he wasn't in the starting line up....

CockneyRebel
17-01-2021, 04:27 PM
If I recall correctly, Oli consistently refuse to go out on loan as he had a very high opinion of himself. From what I heard at the time he was always knocking on the managers door asking why he wasn't in the starting line up....

And that's wrong because..............? IMO you should want him champing at the bit and full of confidence.

jacomo
17-01-2021, 04:32 PM

A little bit of arrogance in a striker is a good thing. Some would say it’s essential. I don’t think any manager would have an issue with that.

Stanton Spence
17-01-2021, 04:35 PM
A little bit of arrogance in a striker is a good thing. Some would say it’s essential. I don’t think any manager would have an issue with that.I agree but Oli Shaw has reached the level where he should banging on the managers door at hibs and maybe he should have went out on loan to figure that out and come back a better player?

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
17-01-2021, 04:37 PM
I agree but Oli Shaw has reached the level where he should banging on the managers door at hibs and maybe he should have went out on loan to figure that out and come back a better player?

He was behind Kamberi for 18 months when he was largely hopeless. I'd be frustrated if I was Shaw as well.

Itsnoteasy
17-01-2021, 04:39 PM
Always good seeing Derek McInnes and his team take a spanking from any team. But Ross County? Lol

You gotta laugh!

His team built of giants have been found out.... Much like a team in maroon once were [emoji16]

Listen to McInnes squirm.....

BBC News - Aberdeen performance 'Not good enough' - Derek McInnes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/55691526

But still good enough to beat Hibs.

Stanton Spence
17-01-2021, 04:45 PM
He was behind Kamberi for 18 months when he was largely hopeless. I'd be frustrated if I was Shaw as well.Shaw was in and about the first team long enough to stand out in training etc to warrant a start if he looked good enough. Especially as you say kamberi was starting week in week out but he still couldn't get in the team.
I really hope the laddie kicks on and moves on to better and bigger teams than Ross County

Stuart93
17-01-2021, 05:05 PM
Poor we’ve been beat twice easily from Aberdeen this season

MWHIBBIES
17-01-2021, 05:07 PM
Shaw was in and about the first team long enough to stand out in training etc to warrant a start if he looked good enough. Especially as you say kamberi was starting week in week out but he still couldn't get in the team.
I really hope the laddie kicks on and moves on to better and bigger teams than Ross County

Yes but there was very little season he didn't get a chance. He was consistently scoring when he did start.

brog
17-01-2021, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=Stanton Spence;6424579]Shaw was in and about the first team long enough to stand out in training etc
I really hope the laddie kicks on and moves on to better and bigger teams

Standing out in training these days means pretty much putting in loads of effort, being a good trainer. Full games are rarer than a Hearts league cup triumph & there are countless players who looked good in training but couldn't do it in proper games. Personally I think Oli was a bit of a victim of his own success, scoring a couple against Celtc as a teenager. He had already been out on loan by this time & he was top scorer in development league 2 seasons running, even while also playing in top team. As a result it wasn't thought worthwhile for him to go out on loan again but i feel a progression through the leagues, like Kevin Nisbet may have served him better. Like you i wish him well but i do think he may turn out to be one that got away.

Since452
17-01-2021, 06:44 PM
Kevin Nisbet has already scored more goals for Hibs than Shaw and he's only been here five minutes. I've no ill feelings towards Shaw and wish him well but he wasn't going to help us progress and was rightly let go.

MWHIBBIES
17-01-2021, 06:51 PM
Kevin Nisbet has already scored more goals for Hibs than Shaw and he's only been here five minutes. I've no ill feelings towards Shaw and wish him well but he wasn't going to help us progress and was rightly let go.

Yes, if a squad only had one striker, Nisbet is the choice. Thats not how it works. Shaw could definitely contribute something here.

wookie70
17-01-2021, 07:29 PM

Nisbet has scored 13 goals in 2199 minutes for a team in 3rd place. Shaw scored 12 goals in 2462 minutes for us nearly half of those minutes were in 18/19 when we finished 5th a fair distance away from Europe. He scored at a very similar rate to Nisbet that season and chipped in more assists than Nisbet per minute too. For whatever reason Shaw never made it for Hibs. I never understood how he got so few minutes and I suspect he will become a very decent SPFL top league striker. He might not have been enough to get us to best of teh rest but we are crying out for someone to come on and change a game late on or give Nisbet a rest.

Andy74
17-01-2021, 08:38 PM
Nisbet has scored 13 goals in 2199 minutes for a team in 3rd place. Shaw scored 12 goals in 2462 minutes for us nearly half of those minutes were in 18/19 when we finished 5th a fair distance away from Europe. He scored at a very similar rate to Nisbet that season and chipped in more assists than Nisbet per minute too. For whatever reason Shaw never made it for Hibs. I never understood how he got so few minutes and I suspect he will become a very decent SPFL top league striker. He might not have been enough to get us to best of teh rest but we are crying out for someone to come on and change a game late on or give Nisbet a rest.
As well as stats we have eyes.

Shaw is nowhere near the standard of player that Nisbet is. It’s not even very close.

brog
17-01-2021, 08:47 PM

Shaw is nowhere near the standard of player that Nisbet is. It’s not even very close.

Nobody said he was. The previous poster responded to someone saying Nisbet had scored more goals than Shaw & pointed out their scoring records were similar. Now if you want to compare Oli & Christian! 😁

Andy74
17-01-2021, 08:48 PM
Nobody said he was. The previous poster responded to someone saying Nisbet had scored more goals than Shaw & pointed out their scoring records were similar. Now if you want to compare Oli & Christian! 😁

Happy to. He’s nowhere near Doidge’s standard either.

wookie70
17-01-2021, 08:50 PM

I'd agree with the little I have seen of both that Nisbet is a better player. His work rate is better as is his drive and determination. Shaw always looked a little tentative but that may be because he never got a great run in the team and would get dropped even after playing well and scoring. Shaw is a very good finisher, at least as good as Nisbet imo, and it would have been very useful to bring him on and have him in the squad at the moment. I have had my eyes peeled on Doidge as he has squandered lots of chances that I fancy Oli would have scored a good few from. I think the two strikers we have with Shaw would be a good mix. I think we are crying out for another striker to put pressure on and give us some cover.

Clarence
17-01-2021, 09:04 PM
Yogi has sprinkled a bit magic dust on him but I doubt we’ll regret letting him go in the long run.

brog
17-01-2021, 09:08 PM

He's a far more natural finisher than Doidge, he's much faster & has a better first touch. Christian is stronger, more streetwise, holds it up well & is better in the air. They're very different strikers but they're now both playing in the same league & this season, Oli, playing for a team much lower in the league, has a better scoring record.

superfurryhibby
17-01-2021, 10:19 PM
But still good enough to beat Hibs.

Poor we’ve been beat twice easily from Aberdeen this season

It’s almost like it’s not acceptable for some folk when you mock your much bigger spending closest rivals when they get a good spanking..............

FWIW Shaw always seemed a pretty good natural finisher, but his time at Hibs was up, one way or another. I liked the laddie, but also had my doubts that he was good enough. Fair play to him, and to Yogi. He’s now doing well and has become a big player at a rejuvenated Ross County. Cest la vie.

easty
17-01-2021, 11:00 PM

Is the quite obviously correct answer.

jacomo
18-01-2021, 01:48 PM
He's a far more natural finisher than Doidge, he's much faster & has a better first touch. Christian is stronger, more streetwise, holds it up well & is better in the air. They're very different strikers but they're now both playing in the same league & this season, Oli, playing for a team much lower in the league, has a better scoring record.

Agree that they are different to each other but could also compete for the same role as well as in a partnership.

I’d be happy if Oli was still part of our squad just now. But I guess he left because he wanted more playing time.

WeeRussell
18-01-2021, 03:36 PM

Does that ever happen? Like literally? Always wondered... :greengrin

brog
18-01-2021, 06:39 PM
Does that ever happen? Like literally? Always wondered... :greengrin

There's a very famous story about Willie Murray knocking on Turnbull's door to ask for a pay rise! Several players, notably Bobby Smith cajoled Willie into doing it. Willie was terrified but plucked up the courage & crept along the corridor while the others were s******ing round the corner. Willie finally took the plunge & tapped on the closed door. ****** Off Murray came the shout from within. Willie took off like a rocket, never to return 😁

Since452
18-01-2021, 06:52 PM
He'll probably go on to do ok at a bottom six Premiership club like Ross County. Never in a million years is he good enough to be the main, or one of the main strikers for a Hibs or Aberdeen. I'm not saying the lad is a bad player, I think he's average, but he'd always be a back up at best at a bigger club. The very reason we sold him. I thought Ross County was a good move for him and still do although it took him an age to get going there too.

BSEJVT
18-01-2021, 08:26 PM
The thing I always liked about Shaw was that he scored a lot of goals with a composed finish, like his 2 against Aberdeen for RC

That led me to believe there was a player in their waiting to emerge

First to concede that didn’t happen and that he didn’t force himself into team

By the end his confidence was totally shot and move was for the best

I would love to see him kick on and become the player I hoped, particularly if we have first option

WeeRussell
20-01-2021, 01:42 PM
There's a very famous story about Willie Murray knocking on Turnbull's door to ask for a pay rise! Several players, notably Bobby Smith cajoled Willie into doing it. Willie was terrified but plucked up the courage & crept along the corridor while the others were s******ing round the corner. Willie finally took the plunge & tapped on the closed door. ****** Off Murray came the shout from within. Willie took off like a rocket, never to return 😁

I think I may have heard that one now you mention it.. and it should definitely remain the real life example :aok: