PDA

View Full Version : Ron Gordon's Plan For Hibernian Football Club

Speedway
03-07-2019, 11:13 AM
As I understand it from the various sources, Ron's plan is as follows:

1. Steady away in the short term but top 3/4 league finishes from now on and Europe every year.

2. To achieve this, football budget is pretty good to achieve that as it is, but further funds are available if a chance to sign a player comes along that makes sense but is outwith the current budget.

3. Long term ambition to win the league and the two areas that are critical to that happening (and therefore where the money will be spent in the short term) are in building an indoor arena at EM to attract the best players and doing whatever it takes (he doesn't know what yet) to make the Hibernian Academy the best in Scotland. He sees the attraction of quality senior and junior players the best way to develop the club and it's revenue streams long term.

4. He's bought Hibs because he always wanted a serious hobby and was a serious sports fan and he's sold his media businesses and the other clubs he looked at he either couldn't afford or were bent.

5. He sees Hibs and the SPFL as undervalued and under-capitalised brands that are ripe for development.

6. He'll now take the next few months to observe and learn and see where he can be the most use and where his money should be spent, beyond the initial investment.

Is that about right?

3pm
03-07-2019, 11:15 AM
You only asking the 1%?! 😀

bingo70
03-07-2019, 11:18 AM
I’m not sure that the long term goal is to win the league, I’m not sure that’s realistic and I think he knows that.

He was asked what could be achieved and his response was that initially we need to cement top 4 on a regular basis, once we are doing that you always need to set goals in sport and the next obvious step is to look above you in the league to catch them.

I know I’m contradicting myself a bit but to me always aiming for the place above isn’t the same as setting yourself a target to skin the league.

Peevemor
03-07-2019, 11:19 AM

1. Steady away in the short term but top 3/4 league finishes from now on and Europe every year.

2. To achieve this, football budget is pretty good to achieve that as it is, but further funds are available if a chance to sign a player comes along that makes sense but is outwith the current budget.

3. Long term ambition to win the league and the two areas that are critical to that happening (and therefore where the money will be spent in the short term) are in building an indoor arena at EM to attract the best players and doing whatever it takes (he doesn't know what yet) to make the Hibernian Academy the best in Scotland. He sees the attraction of quality senior and junior players the best way to develop the club and it's revenue streams long term.

4. He's bought Hibs because he always wanted a serious hobby and was a serious sports fan and he's sold his media businesses and the other clubs he looked at he either couldn't afford or were bent.

5. He sees Hibs and the SPFL as undervalued and under-capitalised brands that are ripe for development.

6. He'll now take the next few months to observe and learn and see where he can be the most use and where his money should be spent, beyond the initial investment.

Is that about right?

That's my take on it.

Speedway
03-07-2019, 11:22 AM
I’m not sure that the long term goal is to win the league, I’m not sure that’s realistic and I think he knows that.

He was asked what could be achieved and his response was that initially we need to cement top 4 on a regular basis, once we are doing that you always need to set goals in sport and the next obvious step is to look above you in the league to catch them.

I know I’m contradicting myself a bit but to me always aiming for the place above isn’t the same as setting yourself a target to skin the league.

This is where I got it from Bingo.

After taking control, the US-based multi-millionaire said: “Getting to the top of the Premiership is a big ask but it is totally an ambition.

“It needs to be an ambition and we should never give up on that ambition.

“It would be great for Scottish football if that happened.”

Captain Trips
03-07-2019, 11:22 AM
Young players can be attracted by facilities however like it or not the amount of nice facilities or whatever the main attraction will be the players wages on offer. There is though nothing stopping us being one of the best at developing but bringing in any players will be 99% how much they are getting paid.

Sammy7nil
03-07-2019, 11:25 AM

Is that about right?

I think saying we are targeting winning the league even longterm so early in his stewardship lays him open to criticism. I think he shhould work away and if we achive 3 or 4 or beeter for 2 or 3 years in a row then continue to look upwards and set new targets until then just go about your business quitely.

mayo hibee
03-07-2019, 11:29 AM
Given that we will never financially match Celtic I fully agree with his view that youth development is the way forward. Build up the best academy in Scotland through improved facilities, coaching staff, high performance programmes, links to the city's universities, scholarships - whatever it takes to make Hibs the most desirable destination for a young player.

At the same time invest in a massively upgraded scouting system to identify the best players both in Scotland and much further afield.

The key is the opportunity to play first team football at a much earlier stage at Hibs than can be offered at the top European clubs. Not every young footballer wants to be part of the player farms that the likes of Chelsea and Man City have developed, drifting from lower league club to club on loan for half their careers. I know of a young player who this week turned down Man City and is signing for Bristol Rovers instead for this very reason.

Huge opportunity for Hibs to build a better squad this way and generate income at the same time, with the long term goal being to challenge the best teams in the league.

matty_f
03-07-2019, 11:30 AM

Is that about right?
Sounds about right!

bingo70
03-07-2019, 11:31 AM
This is where I got it from Bingo.

After taking control, the US-based multi-millionaire said: “Getting to the top of the Premiership is a big ask but it is totally an ambition.

“It needs to be an ambition and we should never give up on that ambition.

“It would be great for Scottish football if that happened.”

To me that’s just a case of always striving to improve yourself.

I’m sure Celtic would want to win the champions league every season they enter it, doesn’t mean it’s realistic.

Some people like to set ambitious goals to keep you moving forward, some like to set them so they enjoy the result when it happens, guessing time will tell what it is with Ron.

To me though, to win the league it’d need an unrealistic amount of money spent so it’s not an ambition I’m taking seriously for now anyway.

Bristolhibby
03-07-2019, 11:35 AM
I think saying we are targeting winning the league even longterm so early in his stewardship lays him open to criticism. I think he shhould work away and if we achive 3 or 4 or beeter for 2 or 3 years in a row then continue to look upwards and set new targets until then just go about your business quitely.

Every team has the target of winning the league.

It wouldn’t be a League otherwise. In sport you have to have that ambition.

Like with Leicester the stars need to align, but it should always be the aim.

I like him. Let’s see where this goes.

J

neil7908
03-07-2019, 11:37 AM
Interesting read but I worry that the sheer task of winning the league isn't quite captured here, or even the work required for achieving European football every year. We'll need a decent budget increase to achieve the latter and to be honest I'd argue just getting into Europe isn't a great achievement if we keep getting put out in the first or second round.

I'm all for the investment in youth and training ground but to be frank, they don't win you trophies. You need to retain these players once they start showing their quality and have the resources to bring in established players to Hibs if we want to even consider going after the Celtic.

I realise that sounds quite negative but "the chance to sign a player that comes along but is outwith our budget" won't be nearly enough imo.

That list is a great start but we'll need much more investment in the first team to achieve even the initial targets here.

Davy Mac
03-07-2019, 11:53 AM
Agree with a lot of points raised in this post but it's a little early to speculate but make no mistake, I'm delighted money is coming from the west rather than the east as I think both in culture, lifestyle and economy are far more in line with our way of living than say middle east/Asian money.

Also, my train of thought at the moment leads me to other possibilities like a new multi purpose built arena, visiting US football teams/baseball etc, perhaps a bit far fetched but not unrealistic as really Scottish football is dying and this may be a game changer.

We as fans are thinking big, but I suspect Ron is thinking bigger, just my take on it at the moment.

Fergus52
03-07-2019, 11:56 AM
Interesting read but I worry that the sheer task of winning the league isn't quite captured here, or even the work required for achieving European football every year. We'll need a decent budget increase to achieve the latter and to be honest I'd argue just getting into Europe isn't a great achievement if we keep getting put out in the first or second round.

I'm all for the investment in youth and training ground but to be frank, they don't win you trophies. You need to retain these players once they start showing their quality and have the resources to bring in established players to Hibs if we want to even consider going after the Celtic.

I realise that sounds quite negative but "the chance to sign a player that comes along but is outwith our budget" won't be nearly enough imo.

That list is a great start but we'll need much more investment in the first team to achieve even the initial targets here.

You don't think the current squad is able to finish top 4 over the next couple of years?

Killie and Aberdeen aren't that good.

Wakeyhibee
03-07-2019, 11:58 AM
I think the scouting and youth development is or should be the main focus.

I think it's gonna be a hard task to achieve 3rd/4th and decent runs in Europe regularly on a similar or slightly larger playing budget. The revenue streams we have or investment needed to achieve this aren't there even now.

One thing Hibs and EM hasn't produced to a large extent is a steady stream or young talent that's capable of breaking into the 1st team.

One thing that may help close the gap unfortunately is Rangers taking Celtics yearly CL money occasionally (only qualifying mind), Ok you'd have 2 stronger teams but both closer to the next three bigger teams.

It's gonna be interesting but it's a huge mountain to climb and we're no where near base camp yet.

The Leith Dutch
03-07-2019, 11:59 AM
Currently, I could for example see us getting to a point where, while we wouldn't match Celtic financially, we could afford to pay for a team that could beat them to the title over a league season.
They're a decent outfit right now but I could see us having a team to match and better them in results over 38 games even although that Hibs team would likely be composed of less glamorous/valuable players overall.

The financial side is the interesting bit - we'd likely be at our limit financing that team while the current Celtic team is probably a fair chunk below what they could spend if they felt there was a legitimate threat. So the questions are probably would they see that coming and up their game in the summer transfer window or would they be able to turn it round in a January window?

Also, I guess, can they deploy that financial muscle as effectively now given that the real quality players can get huge bucks from lower table EPL teams and others?

If I was putting money down I don't think Hibs can do but the current gulf is significantly easier to bridge than it has been for a while.

villager
03-07-2019, 12:01 PM

Is that about right?

I'd add one thing to your list. Our CEO has mentioned a couple of times her excitement about the planned expanded European football from 2021 onwards.
I think they they plan to prepare the club and hope to be able to compete sustainably in this area as its the most accessible next level income and growth stream thats realistic for a club our size moving forward.

Ozyhibby
03-07-2019, 12:03 PM
To think about winning a league we need to make European participation a regular occurrence. It can’t be done without the money that would bring in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brummie_Hibs
03-07-2019, 12:07 PM
To win the league you need to be able to beat the teams around and below you. Failure to do that is generally Hibs' downfall.

Once we are able to do that consistently (which we should do with a modest increase in player budget), then it comes down to the Head-to-head games against the teams above.

Celtic look like they are there for the taking.

Aldo
03-07-2019, 12:08 PM
To think about winning a league we need to make European participation a regular occurrence. It can’t be done without the money that would bring in.

Agreed but not just European participation Ozy. Regular group stage participation is where good money is made.

neil7908
03-07-2019, 12:09 PM
You don't think the current squad is able to finish top 4 over the next couple of years?

Killie and Aberdeen aren't that good.

Killie will probably drop away but Aberdeen had a turnover of £15.4m last accounts. Ours was £9.6m.

That's why they've had sustained success. We're already at the level where our targets are 3rd or 4th. But if that is the minimum level every year we need the budget to do that. And I'm not sure that's quite captured in the OP.

Pretty Boy
03-07-2019, 12:10 PM
I like the way he's talking. There is no unrealistic promises of winning the Champions League within 5 years or other such nonsense. That is ultimately unsustainable.

He seems to have quite a measured outlook and suggests money will be there if required but only if it's part of a long term strategy to ensure we are competitive regularly rather than as a one off indulgence. The investment in the indoor pitch was inevitable and his EEN interview today seems to confirm that and the plan to invest further in the academy is also an exciting idea. Clubs like Hibs simply have to produce a decent number of our own players.

I was apprehensive but excited about the takeover yesterday but the more I hear the more I lean towards excited. We aren't going to be threatening Man City anytime soon but we are hopefully aiming to becoming the 'best of the rest' on a regular basis. Where we go from there is the potentially exciting part.

CRAZYHIBBY
03-07-2019, 12:13 PM
You can have the best facilities in the world but if the team up the road pays more wages then they are going there

J-C
03-07-2019, 12:16 PM

Is that about right?

Pretty much my take on it too, regular top 4, European football, the odd cup win and with just a little luck push for the league. I see the player budget increasing with an overhaul of the academy and completing the training centre.

barcahibs
03-07-2019, 12:18 PM
Like I said on another thread, to me spending a finite amount of 'investment' money on players is crazy, you have no idea really what you'll get for that money and you'll likely fritter it away on a few 'boom' years (with absolutely no guarantee of actual silverware) before going bust. How often has it happened before?

Much rather the money is invested in the club's facilities. Aim to make us the clear 'best of the rest', and then look at if and how we can grow beyond that.

Grow the club and let the player budget grow organically with it.

Give us the best facilities to turn the head of any player who is mulling over deals with hertz or Aberdeen.

Make us tougher to deal with when it comes time to sell players we've brought through - we've made a good start in holding out to celtc over Mcginn, make that the norm. In fact, look to make English clubs pay much more for players - if there's talk of guys being worth £50 million a year after leaving Scotland for £5 million then that tells me that the next time Villa come calling we should be starting our negotiations at £10 million. A bit of money in the bank will help us stand firm in that sort of situation.

Plus the big ones. The areas we really should be spending money on. With a bit of ambition I think we could build a tower over the West Stand tall enough to have a Castle View Restaurant in it, a glass curtain the length of Leith Walk and a piazza/plaza (did they ever decide what to actually call it?) so clean you could eat a pizza off it.

That's ambition.

Pagan Hibernia
03-07-2019, 12:21 PM
To win the league you need to be able to beat the teams around and below you. Failure to do that is generally Hibs' downfall.

Once we are able to do that consistently (which we should do with a modest increase in player budget), then it comes down to the Head-to-head games against the teams above.

Celtic look like they are there for the taking.

I agree. When people say it’s impossible to win the league I think back to the second half of our 2017/18 season and the form we were in. When Lennon stumbled on a system that utilized the talents of McGinn, McGeough and Allan, we won game after game, including against the ugly sisters, and we deserved to win them. We threw away a lot of silly points in the first half of that season that could have seen us a lot closer to Celtic.

Some time Celtic will have a really mediocre league campaign and it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that us or someone else could take full advantage.

jacomo
03-07-2019, 12:23 PM
Killie will probably drop away but Aberdeen had a turnover of £15.4m last accounts. Ours was £9.6m.

That's why they've had sustained success. We're already at the level where our targets are 3rd or 4th. But if that is the minimum level every year we need the budget to do that. And I'm not sure that's quite captured in the OP.

I’m not entirely sure we are comparing like with like when looking at Aberdeen’s finances, but the new stadium will be expensive and a huge distraction for them.

Hibs are being typically coy about the numbers, but I think a bit of up front capital investment in Easter Road could improve the match day experience and drive up revenue. This would help us close the gap.

I am intrigued by the new guy’s media background and if he sees pre-season tours to USA, for example, as part of the plan?

It is not too hard for Hibs to become the third force in Scottish football - and then, with a bit of luck, who knows where we can go?

We be fascinating to see it play out.

The 90+2
03-07-2019, 12:28 PM
You only asking the 1%?! 😀

:greengrin that will woosh the majority, ironically.

MyJo
03-07-2019, 12:36 PM
You can have the best facilities in the world but if the team up the road pays more wages then they are going there

Not at academy level.

The facilities on offer are much more important considerations when trying to attract the best young talent into our academy

Clarence
03-07-2019, 12:44 PM
I reckon we will use additional funds on paying to keep talent at the club (until the RIGHT opportunity to sell comes along) rather than stumping up initial costs on bringing players in. I’m fine with this. I’d rather we nurture our youth in a fantastic academy and get the best out of hungry players with unrealised potential than pay mercenaries inflated salaries for 6 months of good performances followed by indifference. Think of it like us keeping the Mowbray team together for another three or four years. It wouldn’t be unreasonable to have expected us to compete for the title in that scenario.

KWJ
03-07-2019, 12:47 PM
It's interesting to read the dividing comments here on whether to go with players or foundations.

I think he was led into the question a little bit by Luke Shanley regarding the league title, it didn't seem like something he'd have come out and said but it's a bit of a bummer to all if he say's we can never win the league.

I think further investment on the infrastructure and behind the scenes stuff is key to show that he is here for the long haul and not going to attempt a Dundee, Livi, Gretna, Hearts or Rangers. We have to remain within our budget. If that budget can be spent wisely to bring in the best youngsters we can afford and then sell them on in a similar way to what Celtic have been doing then our budget can only grow, especially if it leads to more consistent success on the pitch with regular shots at Europe.

I disagree with the poster earlier who said about the 99% of players choice is on the wage. As someone else said, if a player believes he is more likely to thrive at Hibs than at Celtic or Rangers by playing games and then earning a far bigger deal on his next contract then that gives us a big sell if we're still offering more than the rest of the Premiership. It brings into play the likes of Jack Hastie, Alan Campbell, Stuart Findlay etc and possibly extending to someone like Greg Taylor while leaving Celtic to fight for your David Turnbull and Scott McKenna's.

jacomo
03-07-2019, 12:54 PM
It's interesting to read the dividing comments here on whether to go with players or foundations.

I think he was led into the question a little bit by Luke Shanley regarding the league title, it didn't seem like something he'd have come out and said but it's a bit of a bummer to all if he say's we can never win the league.

I think further investment on the infrastructure and behind the scenes stuff is key to show that he is here for the long haul and not going to attempt a Dundee, Livi, Gretna, Hearts or Rangers. We have to remain within our budget. If that budget can be spent wisely to bring in the best youngsters we can afford and then sell them on in a similar way to what Celtic have been doing then our budget can only grow, especially if it leads to more consistent success on the pitch with regular shots at Europe.

I disagree with the poster earlier who said about the 99% of players choice is on the wage. As someone else said, if a player believes he is more likely to thrive at Hibs than at Celtic or Rangers by playing games and then earning a far bigger deal on his next contract then that gives us a big sell if we're still offering more than the rest of the Premiership. It brings into play the likes of Jack Hastie, Alan Campbell, Stuart Findlay etc and possibly extending to someone like Greg Taylor while leaving Celtic to fight for your David Turnbull and Scott McKenna's.

More importantly, if you can grow the revenues of the club then you increase the player budget in a sustainable way.

One thing seems clear - Ron Gordon seems very happy with the current strategy. I think the plan will be to continue as we are, but hopefully accelerate our progress.

Last season ended up as a little step back from the season before, but not disastrously so.

I would love a ‘marquee player’ as a statement of intent though!

jeffers
03-07-2019, 12:58 PM
Can anyone with a better understanding of it than me (wouldn't be hard) explain what the Floating Charge document just registered at Companies House is all about ?

neil7908
03-07-2019, 01:06 PM
I’m not entirely sure we are comparing like with like when looking at Aberdeen’s finances, but the new stadium will be expensive and a huge distraction for them.

Hibs are being typically coy about the numbers, but I think a bit of up front capital investment in Easter Road could improve the match day experience and drive up revenue. This would help us close the gap.

I am intrigued by the new guy’s media background and if he sees pre-season tours to USA, for example, as part of the plan?

It is not too hard for Hibs to become the third force in Scottish football - and then, with a bit of luck, who knows where we can go?

We be fascinating to see it play out.

Your might well be right. I'm impressed by the guy and optimistic this will be big for the club. I'm also largely responding to the OPs points which I appreciate are not from RG himself.

I just think if we are moving from hoping for 3rd or 4th each year to demanding it that needs injection in the playing squad above and beyond what we have now. A lot of focus is on youth, infrastructure etc which is great but we need to realise only a decent increase to our playing budget will get us close to near guaranteed success.

Clarence
03-07-2019, 01:26 PM

It was of course a leading question, as is the want of a journalist, however I think he dealt with it appropriately. As you say, using appropriate US parlance, it would have been a bit of bummer for him to say -“ Win the league????! Haha with this lot???? Good one kid.”

Hibtastic
03-07-2019, 01:33 PM

Who wants to live in Aberdeen though? Certainly not me. Hibs can and will be more attractive to players simply because of the wonderful City of Edinburgh. We can add to that by providing better facilities, perhaps paying a little bit more in wages etc.

GloryGlory
03-07-2019, 01:34 PM
Can anyone with a better understanding of it than me (wouldn't be hard) explain what the Floating Charge document just registered at Companies House is all about ?

It's generally a notice that someone has security over assets of the company - a fixed charge is secured over a particular asset, like a building, floating is a security over any assets, up to the value of the charge. So if I had a company and owed someone £100 and they had a floating charge, they could claim it back against anything my company owned - stock, cash, office equipment, etc.

IWasThere2016
03-07-2019, 01:37 PM

Not aware of any change to the group structure post takeover - but common practice for Parent Co. to have security on assets for lending/borrowing purposes of its subsidiary.

Club are debt free - doesn't mean it will stay that way eg new helipad is essential :greengrin .. but it is nowt to worry about for now.

ancient hibee
03-07-2019, 01:41 PM
It's generally a notice that someone has security over assets of the company - a fixed charge is secured over a particular asset, like a building, floating is a security over any assets, up to the value of the charge. So if I had a company and owed someone £100 and they had a floating charge, they could claim it back against anything my company owned - stock, cash, office equipment, etc.

It only comes into play of course if the borrower refuses to repay the debt.I would have thought it more likely that a floating charge would be being discharged at Companies House just now as previous debts are repaid.

GloryGlory
03-07-2019, 01:54 PM
It only comes into play of course if the borrower refuses to repay the debt.I would have thought it more likely that a floating charge would be being discharged at Companies House just now as previous debts are repaid.

Yep.

heretoday
03-07-2019, 02:01 PM
Debt free? They still owe me for the years of pain.

green day
03-07-2019, 02:18 PM

This guy has just tweeted that it means Gordon has lent the club money in exchange for a charge over the assets.

No clue what it means??

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1146419796990418944?s=19

04Sauzee
03-07-2019, 02:21 PM

Not sure if this helps?

03-07-2019, 02:25 PM
Not sure if this helps?

I think it just gives the holding company the ability to lend money to the club, it doesn’t necessarily mean he has done so.

NAE NOOKIE
03-07-2019, 02:33 PM
Agree with a lot of points raised in this post but it's a little early to speculate but make no mistake, I'm delighted money is coming from the west rather than the east as I think both in culture, lifestyle and economy are far more in line with our way of living than say middle east/Asian money.

Also, my train of thought at the moment leads me to other possibilities like a new multi purpose built arena, visiting US football teams/baseball etc, perhaps a bit far fetched but not unrealistic as really Scottish football is dying and this may be a game changer.

We as fans are thinking big, but I suspect Ron is thinking bigger, just my take on it at the moment.

That's taking pessimism to the extremes a bit don't you think. For all its faults over the last few years crowds have shown a steady growth and in our case a spectacular one. Hearts have just completed 10 million quids worth of ground improvements for 15 million quid :greengrin and Aberdeen are on the cusp of building a brand new stadium with Dundee at least talking about doing the same.

What the future holds is open to question and I don't think its outwith the bounds of possibility that whatever happens to Scottish football the big city clubs like Glasgow East and West, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and a possible combined club on Tayside will go on to play in some form of British or European league set up depending on how far the European giants are willing to take the idea of a permanent European league.

Whatever the case Hibs should be prepared for anything that happens and improvements to the training centre and stadium would be desirable aims if we are to be contenders for any new football system that comes along.

craigiehibs
03-07-2019, 02:34 PM
I think it just gives the holding company the ability to lend money to the club, it doesn’t necessarily mean he has done so.

it means that the floating charge holder has a lien over the co assets. if i was buying hibs via a co vehicle then there is no way i wouldnt take a floating charge (debenture) to ptotect my investment

CapitalGreen
03-07-2019, 02:34 PM
This guy has just tweeted that it means Gordon has lent the club money in exchange for a charge over the assets.

No clue what it means??

The floating charge notice only indicates the ability to lend secured against the assets, it does not indicate any money has actually been lent.

MyJo
03-07-2019, 02:35 PM

My guess is that the properties owned by HFC holdings (training centre, ticket office etc) have been transferred to the club to protect them as club assets rather than being sold directly to Bydand. The new owner has then taken out a floating security with the club in respect of any future lending they provide.

For example Bydand don’t own HTC so they will likely lend us the money to build a new indoor training facility and this floating charge is their security against that investment into a property they don’t fully own.

Caversham Green
03-07-2019, 02:35 PM

No clue what it means??

The guy's wrong on three counts

1. No money has been lent - the club is debt-free.
2. It is not a mortgage - rather the opposite.
3. That's not the name of the holding company.

WhileTheChief..
03-07-2019, 02:37 PM
Not sure if this helps?

A quick glance at Kickback and you would learn that we are all doomed.

He's borrowing the money as he doesn't have any himself and lumping the club with millions of debt.

Only a matter of time. Tick-tock.

craigiehibs
03-07-2019, 02:38 PM

as i said if i was buying a subsiduary co ( ie hibs) there is no way i wouldnt take a charge over it. nothing to di with debt per se

Smidge
03-07-2019, 02:40 PM

The full document refers to liabilities incurred under the terms of a "Facility Agreement", which is then defined as a term loan agreement between Hibs and Bydand.

That doesn't mean there is any current debt, but it does look like there is a facility in place for the club to draw on from the parent company. This is possibly the mechanism under which the "seven-figure investment" is being made into the club, as I don't that will be done by way of subscribing for additional share capital, given it would dilute the other shareholders' equity. It could also be to allow for working capital from time-to-time.

It could be said that this is swapping the debt to the previous parent company with debt to a new parent company, but without seeing the "Facility Agreement" we cannot know that. In particular, a full understanding of how this will operate and what repayments (IF ANY) will be due.

WhileTheChief..
03-07-2019, 02:41 PM
My guess is that the properties owned by HFC holdings (training centre, ticket office etc) have been transferred to the club to protect them as club assets rather than being sold directly to Bydand. The new owner has then taken out a floating security with the club in respect of any future lending they provide.

For example Bydand don’t own HTC so they will likely lend us the money to build a new indoor training facility and this floating charge is their security against that investment into a property they don’t fully own.

How don't Bydand own HTC?? If they don't, who does??!!

I thought he (Bydand) bought the lot - club, stadium and HTC (including the extra land at EM) then transferred ownership of it and the ticket office to the club from HFC Holdings.

Hibs4185
03-07-2019, 02:43 PM
In my line of work, I give floating charges to banks all the time. Generally they lend me money and take security against all my assets rather than one specifically.

My biggest concern would be that Ron Gordon’s investment is by way of loans rather than a cash injection which means he can recall those debts depending on the terms. My uncle was a yam shareholder and proudly told me that they had agreed at the AGM to increase their debt to £40 million from £20 million so they could win the champions league. When I said Romanov was effectively spending their money and
Not his, i got told it wasn’t like that.

When Chelsea rack up losses, Abramivich writes a cheque and clears them off so he uses his money each year and leaves Chelsea debt free.

I can’t see STF and RP allowing a structure that would leave us open to building up debts though. I am sure Ron Gordon would have had to provide proof of funds and a commitment to leave the club as he found it ie debt free.

It’s def one for the fans reps or someone to try and get answers to, so that we can all rest assured but I am confident there is nothing untoward about this floating charge.

craigiehibs
03-07-2019, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE=WhileTheChief..;5831375]How don't Bydand own HTC?? If they don't, who does??!!

I thought he (Bydand) bought the lot - club, stadium and HTC (including the extra land at EM) then transferred ownership of it and the ticket office to the club from HFC Holdings.[/QUOTE

it really is nothing to worry about...its standard corporate practice where one corporate buys another

Caversham Green
03-07-2019, 02:46 PM
as i said if i was buying a subsiduary co ( ie hibs) there is no way i wouldnt take a charge over it. nothing to di with debt per se

:agree: Absolutely common practice in this sort of setup.

04Sauzee
03-07-2019, 02:49 PM

Cheers Caversham, I have no idea how these things work. Glad you could clear it up.

MyJo
03-07-2019, 02:50 PM

I thought he (Bydand) bought the lot - club, stadium and HTC (including the extra land at EM) then transferred ownership of it and the ticket office to the club from HFC Holdings.

Hibernian football club own the stadium including surrounding land including ticket office and the entirety of the land that forms HTC. The ticket office, HTC and additional 14 acres of land at east mains were owned by HFC holdings but got transferred to the club.

Bydand have bought HFC holdings shares in Hibernian football club which is around 68% of the club.

The club own the stadium and training ground meaning Ron and Bydand don’t fully own any of the clubs properties or assets. Meaning the shareholders of the club, of which 32% are fans and HSL, decide what happens to them. If they wanted to sell the stadium for example then Ron on his own wouldn’t be able to do this. It would need to be in agreement with all the other shareholders

Caversham Green
03-07-2019, 02:50 PM

Hibernian Football Club owns all the asset. Bydand owns about 60% of the club, HSL and general supporters own the rest.

Smidge
03-07-2019, 02:51 PM
:agree: Absolutely common practice in this sort of setup.

But the charge document refers to a "Facility Agreement", which is described as containing a term loan.

If not a debt, what other way is the seven-figure investment being introduced into the club?

Ozyhibby
03-07-2019, 02:54 PM

The club own HTC, the stadium, ticket office. Bydand own 67% of the club.

Crazyhorse
03-07-2019, 02:55 PM
A quick glance at Kickback and you would learn that we are all doomed.

He's borrowing the money as he doesn't have any himself and lumping the club with millions of debt.

Only a matter of time. Tick-tock.

Is he borrowing it from his bank? I think we should be told.

MyJo
03-07-2019, 02:55 PM
Hibernian football club own the stadium including surrounding land including ticket office and the entirety of the land that forms HTC. The ticket office, HTC and additional 14 acres of land at east mains were owned by HFC holdings but got transferred to the club.

Bydand have bought HFC holdings shares in Hibernian football club which is around 68% of the club.

The club own the stadium and training ground meaning Ron and Bydand don’t fully own any of the clubs properties or assets. Meaning the shareholders of the club, of which 32% are fans and HSL, decide what happens to them. If they wanted to sell the stadium for example then Ron on his own wouldn’t be able to do this. It would need to be in agreement with all the other shareholders

I think this was STF taking steps to protect the club. This arrangement seems to protect the stadium and training centre etc from being sold from under us as long as there are enough shares in the hands of other individuals and fans to block the majority shareholder from making decisions that aren’t in the best interests of the club when it comes to our assets

Barman Stanton
03-07-2019, 02:56 PM

Any chance you could explain in simple terms why the Floating Charge is needed if no lending is taking place?

Ozyhibby
03-07-2019, 02:56 PM
Is he borrowing it from his bank? I think we should be told.

Hopefully he is because my yam mates says that is just like owing it to yourself and therefore it’s all good.

WhileTheChief..
03-07-2019, 02:58 PM
Thanks to everyone for clarifying.

Now get over the road and explain it to them. Good luck.

Barman Stanton
03-07-2019, 03:00 PM
Thanks to everyone for clarifying.

Now get over the road and explain it to them. Good luck.

Speak for yourself. Im still none the wiser why the floating charge is in place :dunno:

Caversham Green
03-07-2019, 03:01 PM
But the charge document refers to a "Facility Agreement", which is described as containing a term loan.

If not a debt, what other way is the seven-figure investment being introduced into the club?

The facility agreement tells us that there is scope for a loan that would be covered by the charge. The investment has been described as a cash injection - it could take the form of a donation, sponsorship or simply described as a cash injection. Hearts got a similar one to pay for Naismith's wages.

WhileTheChief..
The club own HTC, the stadium, ticket office. Bydand own 67% of the club.

Assuming that means that HFC Holdings is no more? Or at least it's just an empty shell now that's nowt to do with Hibs or Bydand?

jeffers
Cheers for all the replies. Not going to lie, I saw the Floating Charge first mentioned on Kickback (I feel dirty just saying that) where naturally it fits their agenda ranging from RG is going to ensure he gets his money back to he's only here to fleece the club and will royally shaft us.

I was initially delighted when I heard he had taken us over. While Kickback has a collection of deluded and bitter ****s impressive even by Hearts fans standards it did get me wondering why RG has actually bought us over. We know why STF did, but this guy isn't even a Hibby, so I'm genuinely interested in what his motives are. For example even if I won Euromillions I'd make a donation to the club, but I'd never actually want to buy it.

I suppose only time will tell.

banchoryhibs
03-07-2019, 03:03 PM
STF's holding company provided short term working capital to the club from time to time, just like an overdraft facility with a bank.
This was cleared by the year end so was not reflected on the balance sheet.
This will give the new major shareholder the same facility should it be necessary. On the face of it absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

craigiehibs
03-07-2019, 03:04 PM
Any chance you could explain in simple terms why the Floating Charge is needed if no lending is taking place?

the rationale is that the two are separate legal entities. one of the things the flosting charge does is prevent hibs (subsiduary) from opening a separate bank account and placing income there, selling assets un its name without parent agreement, borrowing elsewhere against its assets etc. whilst owbership is same now tfats not to say it cant change in future. in short standard practice for a parent co whether or not there is contractual debt in place. hope that helps alkeviate concerns. ggtth

MyJo
03-07-2019, 03:06 PM

They don’t own anything other than shares in the club.

If they are going to sink money into the training ground and stadium the floating charge gives them the security on their investment.

If they spend £2m on a new indoor training facility at east mains the value of the club and their shares will increase, they are then happy that when thier shares are sold their investment into the training ground has been repaid.

On the other hand if they put that money into the training ground and decide they want out they can use the floating charge to ask for thier £2m to be paid back, if the club defaults they can force the sale of assets to recover this.

craigiehibs
03-07-2019, 03:07 PM
ps. sorry for spelling!

Barman Stanton
03-07-2019, 03:08 PM
the rationale is that the two are separate legal entities. one of the things the flosting charge does is prevent hibs (subsiduary) from opening a separate bank account and placing income there, selling assets un its name without parent agreement, borrowing elsewhere against its assets etc. whilst owbership is same now tfats not to say it cant change in future. in short standard practice for a parent co whether or not there is contractual debt in place. hope that helps alkeviate concerns. ggtth

Helps big style. Cheers for that. I used to work in banking so have dealt with loads of Floating Charges but I had only ever seen them used as security against lending.

craigiehibs
03-07-2019, 03:19 PM
Helps big style. Cheers for that. I used to work in banking so have dealt with loads of Floating Charges but I had only ever seen them used as security against lending.

glad to help mate. i know no more than you about new owner but dont believe for a minute there is anything underhand going on here. and stf is very well versed in all things corporate...including getting bank to write off a good chunk of hibs previous debt! if there is one thing we can be sure on its that he did the right due diligence on the new man

Barman Stanton
03-07-2019, 03:23 PM
glad to help mate. i know no more than you about new owner but dont believe for a minute there is anything underhand going on here. and stf is very well versed in all things corporate...including getting bank to write off a good chunk of hibs previous debt! if there is one thing we can be sure on its that he did the right due diligence on the new man

I agree, we are all possibly a bit cautious but no alarm bells are ringing with this guy.

Barman Stanton
03-07-2019, 03:24 PM
They don’t own anything other than shares in the club.

If they are going to sink money into the training ground and stadium the floating charge gives them the security on their investment.

If they spend £2m on a new indoor training facility at east mains the value of the club and their shares will increase, they are then happy that when thier shares are sold their investment into the training ground has been repaid.

On the other hand if they put that money into the training ground and decide they want out they can use the floating charge to ask for thier £2m to be paid back, if the club defaults they can force the sale of assets to recover this.

:aok::flag:

Davy Mac
03-07-2019, 03:27 PM
That's taking pessimism to the extremes a bit don't you think. For all its faults over the last few years crowds have shown a steady growth and in our case a spectacular one. Hearts have just completed 10 million quids worth of ground improvements for 15 million quid :greengrin and Aberdeen are on the cusp of building a brand new stadium with Dundee at least talking about doing the same.

What the future holds is open to question and I don't think its outwith the bounds of possibility that whatever happens to Scottish football the big city clubs like Glasgow East and West, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and a possible combined club on Tayside will go on to play in some form of British or European league set up depending on how far the European giants are willing to take the idea of a permanent European league.

Whatever the case Hibs should be prepared for anything that happens and improvements to the training centre and stadium would be desirable aims if we are to be contenders for any new football system that comes along.

I agree with what you and most are saying but in my business experience with Americans, they are born winners, expect and demand results and their pound of flesh as well.

Whilst we are talking about improving the academy, players, stadium preparations for a new league in the future, I actually think they may want to do something even grander.

Pessimism maybe, but delighted we are involved with American money/talent/business talent - exciting times ahead.

telford hibbee
03-07-2019, 03:44 PM
Debt free? They still owe me for the years of pain.

That pain was surely erased on 21st May 2016. I know my pain was.

ancient hibee
03-07-2019, 05:47 PM
Can someone please volunteer to contact our pink friends for their advice as I seem to recall that they were very keen on the principle of "borrowing from ourselves".How did that work out again?

jacomo
03-07-2019, 08:45 PM
I agree, we are all possibly a bit cautious but no alarm bells are ringing with this guy.

It's easy for a new owner to make rash promises in order to try and get the fans onside. Less scrupulous individuals will do this to try and distract attention from the real situation.

Ron isn't doing any of this. He's confirmed a '7 figure' investment on top of his share purchase but he's saying it hasn't yet been decided how it will be spent - he will be talking more with the management team about where the priorities lie.

I like the way he is talking. He seems like the real deal.

jgl07
03-07-2019, 09:39 PM
That's a mystery how they did that?

They have far lower crowds than Hibs and their European participation didn't pull up any trees.

makaveli1875
03-07-2019, 09:45 PM
That's a mystery how they did that?

They have far lower crowds than Hibs and their European participation didn't pull up any trees.

Its not a mystery its been done to death , 1 club city . more comercially savvy , rich oil tycoons etc

Greenbeard
04-07-2019, 08:08 AM
Not at academy level.

The facilities on offer are much more important considerations when trying to attract the best young talent into our academy
Not just the facilities. Also the resources available to the academy players. Things like coach to player ratio, access to the best specialist coaches (specific skills, S&C etc), medical services, analysis, nutrition, psychology, lifestyle education - all individualised for what is right for that player, not just generic one size fits all. Show the young player that Hibs is THE best place to allow him to fulfill his potential.

Hibernian32
04-07-2019, 08:45 AM
I'm not worried for 1 simple reason.

STF has a connection with us and is one of us we all know how the man he is. How importantly he mentions the word " community" He is hibs and I don't think for one second he would sell this club to a cowboy. STF has probably put more thought and care into this decision than he has any other in his life, the impact its going to leave on future genartions. He won't want that on his head after everything we achieved together.

Trust the man who saved us and no chineese whispers on ****back.

FilipinoHibs
04-07-2019, 08:53 AM
The facility agreement tells us that there is scope for a loan that would be covered by the charge. The investment has been described as a cash injection - it could take the form of a donation, sponsorship or simply described as a cash injection. Hearts got a similar one to pay for Naismith's wages.

I think the cash was used to but Farmer and Petries's shares plus converting Farmer's mortgage to us into shares. That explains why Ron's holding is 67% now. He may well have borrowed the money to do this - called a leveraged buyout - but I think unlikely as would have to see a quick return to make profitable- see the Glazers. Think given he made $75 million from his TV sales and been a very well paid senior executive, then the money has come from his real capital. These are just educated assumptions but given the scale of the investment relative to his net worth not likely to be far off the mark.

jacomo
04-07-2019, 09:00 AM
Its not a mystery its been done to death , 1 club city . more comercially savvy , rich oil tycoons etc

And different accounting practices?

Dalianwanda
04-07-2019, 09:01 AM
I'm not worried for 1 simple reason.

STF has a connection with us and is one of us we all know how the man he is. How importantly he mentions the word " community" He is hibs and I don't think for one second he would sell this club to a cowboy. STF has probably put more thought and care into this decision than he has any other in his life, the impact its going to leave on future genartions. He won't want that on his head after everything we achieved together.

Trust the man who saved us and no chineese whispers on ****back.

Yup, I’m with you on this one. It’s change so we’re all fine to feel a bit funny. Just looking forward to seeing what comes. I could sit worrying but it would be completely baseless.

Brightside
04-07-2019, 09:04 AM
Not at academy level.

The coaches on offer are the main requirement.

FilipinoHibs
04-07-2019, 09:32 AM
I agree with what you and most are saying but in my business experience with Americans, they are born winners, expect and demand results and their pound of flesh as well.

Whilst we are talking about improving the academy, players, stadium preparations for a new league in the future, I actually think they may want to do something even grander.

Pessimism maybe, but delighted we are involved with American money/talent/business talent - exciting times ahead.

Yes worked for two American companies. One took over a couple of UK companies and they did not hold back from making changes and putting their vision in place. They are big on strategy and Ron probably sees Scittish football ripe for disruption. I am sure he sees a good few years of growth and success but the prospect of making real money while enjoying himself on his passion and connecting with his roots. Not a bad way to spend your 60s.

A Hi-Bee
05-07-2019, 12:08 PM
Yes worked for two American companies. One took over a couple of UK companies and they did not hold back from making changes and putting their vision in place. They are big on strategy and Ron probably sees Scittish football ripe for disruption. I am sure he sees a good few years of growth and success but the prospect of making real money while enjoying himself on his passion and connecting with his roots. Not a bad way to spend your 60s.

If he does half as well as Fergus McCann done with the lesser greens then that will be fantastic, they were all but doon the pan when he took them over, and of course he managed to make money from them why not as look at them now. All for the good times ahead. WE Are Hibs.

:agree:

Liberal Hibby
05-07-2019, 12:39 PM

At what point to cash injections/donations fall foul of UEFA financial fair play rules?

Surely you couldn't accept an annual £25m donation on a £10m turnover for example?

Greencore
05-07-2019, 10:57 PM
Where will hibs be in 5 years?

Will Ron just be laid back like farmer?

Or

Will he get involved and give us money to make a real challenge?

Time will tell.

Forza Fred
06-07-2019, 11:41 AM
A degree of change is inevitable..with any new owner.

I would expect, but not particularly welcome, that after this season the ‘naming rights’ to Easter Road are sold, as part of a major sponsorship deal.

Common in US, and Oz for that matter...and increasingly becoming standard practice in England.

I think this would have already been identified as a future revenue stream, and could even consider that the decision not to have a current commercial shirt sponsor, was part of this strategic plan.....to keep it clear for implementation in a year’s time.

A package of the naming rights and shirt sponsorship would be a lot more lucrative than just a shirt sponsor.

I could be a million miles short of the mark,, but Ron, or his sidekick Archie would have certainly done an amount of advance planning before he laid out his dosh to buy the club, and my ‘no shirt sponsor’ theory would fit in well with current events, as rarely are shirt sponsors for a single season.

There is no doubt that the new owner will bring a different way of thinking, and I guess not everything he does will necessarily please a lot of ‘traditionalists’.

However, at the end of the day, Ron is the major shareholder and sets the strategy.

neil7908
06-07-2019, 12:03 PM

I would expect, but not particularly welcome, that after this season the ‘naming rights’ to Easter Road are sold, as part of a major sponsorship deal.

Common in US, and Oz for that matter...and increasingly becoming standard practice in England.

I think this would have already been identified as a future revenue stream, and could even consider that the decision not to have a current commercial shirt sponsor, was part of this strategic plan.....to keep it clear for implementation in a year’s time.

A package of the naming rights and shirt sponsorship would be a lot more lucrative than just a shirt sponsor.

I could be a million miles short of the mark,, but Ron, or his sidekick Archie would have certainly done an amount of advance planning before he laid out his dosh to buy the club, and my ‘no shirt sponsor’ theory would fit in well with current events, as rarely are shirt sponsors for a single season.

There is no doubt that the new owner will bring a different way of thinking, and I guess not everything he does will necessarily please a lot of ‘traditionalists’.

However, at the end of the day, Ron is the major shareholder and sets the strategy.

I'm not crazy about naming rights for the stadium etc but we need to increase our income. The bottom line is no one, including Ron, is just going to keep pumping money into Hibs year after year. The club needs to grow and that means bringing in more money from sponsorship and other areas.

Clearing the debt is huge but we are still a good bit behind Aberdeen and miles away from the ugly sisters. That needs cash and that has to be earned somehow. There is a danger of going too far down the commercial route but if we want to kick on we need to start making more money somehow.

Forza Fred
06-07-2019, 12:16 PM
I'm not crazy about naming rights for the stadium etc but we need to increase our income. The bottom line is no one, including Ron, is just going to keep pumping money into Hibs year after year. The club needs to grow and that means bringing in more money from sponsorship and other areas.

Clearing the debt is huge but we are still a good bit behind Aberdeen and miles away from the ugly sisters. That needs cash and that has to be earned somehow. There is a danger of going too far down the commercial route but if we want to kick on we need to start making more money somehow.

Agree, and I think no commercial sponsorship this year was probably a deliberate decision on his part to increase exponentially the sponsorship income from next year.

As supporters, if we want a successful team on the park, I think we will have to accept that things will be done differently.

To think that things will just chug along as they always have done, is not my experience of what happens when there is a change at the top.

Eyrie
06-07-2019, 01:43 PM
I'm relaxed about stadium naming rights as long as it includes Easter Road. The SRU got it right with BT Murrayfield rather than completely renaming it (eg the BT Arena).

judas
06-07-2019, 05:39 PM
New owner is bang on the money with this one:

Scottish football should be ahead of many European adversaries based on average gates and infrastructure quality

GreenLake
09-07-2019, 12:33 AM

Somebody said Budge was selling the naming rights of the piggery to Dunkin Donuts.

Hibernian32
09-07-2019, 02:39 AM
At what point to cash injections/donations fall foul of UEFA financial fair play rules?

Surely you couldn't accept an annual £25m donation on a £10m turnover for example?

FFP doesn't exist in Scotland as far as I'm aware or at least it doesn't look like it

Purple & Green
09-07-2019, 03:05 AM
One area we do fall down is in our commercial relationships with big Edinburgh brands. Paddington will sort that out quickly - that will be a marker of how things will pan out if it is a success.

Since452
09-07-2019, 06:25 AM

Naming rights wouldn't bother me at all. Will always be Easter Road to everyone. If it made us money then fair enough. We need to explore every avenue while Sky short change us.

cocteautwin
09-07-2019, 06:41 AM

I'm surprised this isn't discussed more often, especially in the context of HMFC. The turnover of their business last year (minus the FoH donations) was £11m and they've taken in donations in the current year of at least £4.25m, nearly 40% of their turnover. I think our Ron is going to have to go some to get even close to the extent that HMFC are funded from donations outwith their normal day to day takings.

rotherhamrob
09-07-2019, 06:51 AM
Somebody said Budge was selling the naming rights of the piggery to Dunkin Donuts.

Should that not be Duncan donuts?
I'll get ma coat.

SquashedFrogg
09-07-2019, 06:53 AM
One area we do fall down is in our commercial relationships with big Edinburgh brands. Paddington will sort that out quickly - that will be a marker of how things will pan out if it is a success.

Can you name some of Edinburgh's big brands?

I'm genuinely not convinced this will not be a marker for our new owners success.

AllyT
09-07-2019, 07:06 AM

I'm genuinely not convinced this will not be a marker for our new owners success.

Skyscanner - the Skys the limit?

Greenworld
09-07-2019, 07:10 AM
The coaches on offer are the main requirement.I agree on that front we may see some change at the academy not sure Eddie May will be the man to lead take it forward .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Antifa Hibs
09-07-2019, 07:17 AM

Skyscanner, FanDuel, Stoats Porridge, Standard Life, Innis and Gunn, Stewart's Brewery, Edinburgh Gins.

PS ram stadium renaming rights

Gloucester Hibs
09-07-2019, 07:18 AM
Skyscanner, FanDuel, Stoats Porridge, Standard Life, Innis and Gunn, Stewart's Brewery, Edinburgh Gins.

Rockstar North also

SquashedFrogg
09-07-2019, 07:23 AM
Skyscanner - the Skys the limit?

Fair shout mate. Although did they not get bought out a few years ago? Might pop out the office at lunchtime, take a wander over and chap their door :greengrin

Greenworld
09-07-2019, 07:32 AM
The exciting part of Ron's takeover is the endless possibilities of what he wants to do .
From new TV coverage ...fast food stalls around the stadium...and all the things that America do so well in there stadiums

To the more dramatic possibilities of playing in a newly formed Leauge with teams from England or European teams .

I get a feeling that big change could be on the cards and I actually hope this is the case .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

SquashedFrogg
09-07-2019, 07:40 AM

Aren't FanDuel American owned? Which might be even better now.

I think my original point was suggesting that I don't think commercial links with Edinburgh companies will define Ron's tenure at Hibs. Also that if the companies listed aren't involved with us then perhaps it's not as a result of our activities.

Heedersnvolleys
09-07-2019, 07:44 AM
These brands will not want sponsors Hibs it hearts for that matter. They will not want to be seen to be taking sides, however did Rockstar not have a lot Hibs references in their GTA game?

Green Man
09-07-2019, 08:57 AM
FFP doesn't exist in Scotland as far as I'm aware or at least it doesn't look like it

It does in European competition though, so we can’t overspend to meet our aim of reaching Europe as we’d be kicked out. Milan have recently been banned from the forthcoming Europa League for breaching FFP.

FilipinoHibs
09-07-2019, 09:11 AM
Rockstar North also

The Grand Theft Auto Stadium.

Hibbyradge
09-07-2019, 09:23 AM
Should that not be Duncan donuts?
I'll get ma coat.

I think that was the intended joke.

You've been whooshed! :greengrin

Greencore
09-07-2019, 11:11 AM
The Grand Theft Auto Stadium.

I'm all for this😂😂😂😂

rotherhamrob
09-07-2019, 11:26 AM
I think that was the intended joke.

You've been whooshed! :greengrin

Aye I think you're right, it's not that difficult where I'm concerned 😎

GloryGlory
09-07-2019, 11:40 AM
New owner is bang on the money with this one:

Scottish football should be ahead of many European adversaries based on average gates and infrastructure quality

:agree: We undersell TV rights, compared to other similar leagues in Europe, for one thing.

ScottB
09-07-2019, 12:19 PM
Aren't FanDuel American owned? Which might be even better now.

I think my original point was suggesting that I don't think commercial links with Edinburgh companies will define Ron's tenure at Hibs. Also that if the companies listed aren't involved with us then perhaps it's not as a result of our activities.

PaddyPower bought them. Skyscanner are Chinese owned now.

jgl07
09-07-2019, 12:28 PM
:agree: We undersell TV rights, compared to other similar leagues in Europe, for one thing.

Scottish football gets the TV income it deserves. It’s been a one horse race for too many years. Too many matches screened with tiny crowds in two or three sided stadia.

The SPL tried on the past to push up the income and played hard ball with Sky. That all ended in disaster.

I subscribe to Sky Sports and get BT Sports as part of my Virgin Media package. I am not sure I would pay a subscription to watch Scottish football. I have certainly not paid for Premium Sports although Virgin Media put it on for free for a spell last year.

It’s mostly OF away matches that are screened anyway apart from the Edinburgh Derby matches.

oneone73
09-07-2019, 12:40 PM
Scottish football gets the TV income it deserves. It’s been a one horse race for too many years. Too many matches screened with tiny crowds in two or three sided stadia.

The SPL tried on the past to push up the income and played hard ball with Sky. That all ended in disaster.

I subscribe to Sky Sports and get BT Sports as part of my Virgin Media package. I am not sure I would pay a subscription to watch Scottish football. I have certainly not paid for Premium Sports although Virgin Media put it on for free for a spell last year.

It’s mostly OF away matches that are screened anyway apart from the Edinburgh Derby matches.

BT want to put my BT TV package up to £24 a month. I'm not paying that for the occasional Hibs away game.

Purple & Green
09-07-2019, 02:23 PM
These brands will not want sponsors Hibs it hearts for that matter. They will not want to be seen to be taking sides, however did Rockstar not have a lot Hibs references in their GTA game?

Perhaps not, but I suspect there are always ways to make it work if the brands highlighted want exposure and we want to give them exposure.

Purple & Green
09-07-2019, 02:31 PM

I think we will get something along the lines of a financial institution , a brewery, a supermarket, an entertainment company, a car manufacturer, a media outlet and an education establishment.

hibbyfraelibby
09-07-2019, 02:41 PM
I think we will get something along the lines of a financial institution , a brewery, a supermarket, an entertainment company, a car manufacturer, a media outlet and an education establishment.

Heard we are getting Krispy Creme as the gorgie mob are already in advanced talks Dunkin Donuts...

Purple & Green
09-07-2019, 02:47 PM
We’ve a mailing list of 100k for arguments sake - there’s a lot of companies want access to that. In the age of gdpr, there are ways to do this.

GloryGlory
09-07-2019, 02:57 PM

Are leagues in Norway, Switzerland, Belgium, Denmark and similar that much better? Cos they all get way, way more money than Scotland.

hibbyfraelibby
09-07-2019, 03:06 PM
Are leagues in Norway, Switzerland, Belgium, Denmark and similar that much better? Cos they all get way, way more money than Scotland.

That is because they are all independent nations where the national broadcasters invest in their indigenous leagues whereas ours (BBC et al) invest in another league and ignore ours because they can without fear of a political backlash

One Day Soon
09-07-2019, 03:47 PM
That is because they ate all i deoendent natii s where the national broadcasters invest in their indigenous leagues whereas ours (BBC et al) invest in another league and ignore ours because they can without fear of a political backlash

Really. What is the evidence for this?

The Pointer
09-07-2019, 04:02 PM
Fair shout mate. Although did they not get bought out a few years ago? Might pop out the office at lunchtime, take a wander over and chap their door :greengrin

Chinese bought them over a couple of years ago.

Inconsequential
09-07-2019, 04:13 PM
BT want to put my BT TV package up to £24 a month. I'm not paying that for the occasional Hibs away game. I pay £2.50 a month for the next six months for BT Sport as a Plusnet customer. The price is normally £5.00. Think I would have a word.

hibbyfraelibby
09-07-2019, 04:15 PM
Really. What is the evidence for this?

Just have a look at the sums BBC pay for English Football and how much they pay for Scottish Football. It is most certainly not done as a fair share of the License fee due to Scotland as proportion of the amount spent on a sport across the UK. They pay Gary Linekar almost as much to present MOTD as they spend in total up here.

Renfrew_Hibby
09-07-2019, 05:06 PM
Just have a look at the sums BBC pay for English Football and how much they pay for Scottish Football. It is most certainly not done as a fair share of the License fee due to Scotland as proportion of the amount spent on a sport across the UK. They pay Gary Linekar almost as much to present MOTD as they spend in total up here.

After the success of the Lionesses, I'm sure the Doncaster Belles or whoever will be raking in more bbc dosh than Hibs or Hearts.

Torto7
09-07-2019, 05:10 PM
After the success of the Lionesses, I'm sure the Doncaster Belles or whoever will be raking in more bbc dosh than Hibs or Hearts.

Probably. The BBC are big on diversity and minorities when it suits their agenda. Giving the Jocks their fairshare isn't one of them.

southsider
09-07-2019, 05:32 PM

Success ? They lost as far as I know.

Stuart93
09-07-2019, 05:34 PM
Success ? They lost as far as I know.

Aye don’t you know England deem getting to a semi as a success 🙄

we are hibs
09-07-2019, 05:36 PM
BT want to put my BT TV package up to £24 a month. I'm not paying that for the occasional Hibs away game.

I'll be cancelling BT at the end of the season. Sure this is the last one they will show Scottish games

ancient hibee
09-07-2019, 05:37 PM

How much do they spend up here?

Which national broadcasters pay to show football in the countries you listed?

heid the baw
09-07-2019, 06:18 PM

Get the app for £10 a month or find a deal like £5 if you are with plusnet, bt broadband or ee mobile.
Pick up a chromecast and bounce it off your phone or get the app if you use playstation, xbox or Samsung TV.
Works a treat

Northernhibee
09-07-2019, 06:22 PM

They pay the market value for what is a devalued product after the Setanta scandal and years of neglect. Why would you pay more for a product than what it's worth?

Inconsequential
09-07-2019, 06:33 PM
Get the app for £10 a month or find a deal like £5 if you are with plusnet, bt broadband or ee mobile.
Pick up a chromecast and bounce it off your phone or get the app if you use playstation, xbox or Samsung TV.
Works a treat Exactly heid the baw! As previously stated I pay £2.50 for the app. and use the chromecast which I bought years ago.

hibbyfraelibby
09-07-2019, 07:20 PM
How much do they spend up here?

Which national broadcasters pay to show football in the countries you listed?

Scotland currently gets just over £20m (rising to £32m) over the current set of deals. The BBC pays just a fraction of that

Sweden £45m
Denmark £35m
Norway £35m
Portugal £190m

All have significant broadcaster deals of terrestrial