View Full Version : Today’s press conference vid...

02-07-2019, 05:28 PM
https://youtu.be/wMTTqI-RyAk

02-07-2019, 05:29 PM
**** me tears streaming down my face listening to Sir Tom

WillowbraeHibby
02-07-2019, 05:36 PM

Nae shame in that buddy, confess to it masel'... However, a case of moving on now, and hopefully building on what STF has left us.. :thumbsup:

02-07-2019, 06:15 PM
Great line to sign out with though - "I'm getting off the bus".

02-07-2019, 06:28 PM
You're not getting off the bus Sir Tom, you were the bus. I'll never forget it.

KSA Hibee
02-07-2019, 06:33 PM
Seen lots of stuff about naming a stand after STF .... even a statue... some may ask do we really ?

Anyone who doesn’t think this man deserves it .. just watch this and try and justify the reason why not.

Thank you STF for saving my club .... your custodianship makes you a hero in my eyes.

02-07-2019, 06:35 PM
Yeah I did see some folk suggest that Tom Farmer is disliked by some, why?

We wouldn't have hibs without him, it's pretty much as simple as that.

02-07-2019, 06:37 PM
What about the crowd that came out with the ponzi scheme pish?

02-07-2019, 06:41 PM
There you are. A new chapter begins. Hopefully a best seller.

Quite an emotional press conference but very professional too.

02-07-2019, 06:45 PM
Great line to sign out with though - "I'm getting off the bus".

There you go 👍

02-07-2019, 06:47 PM

Aye, where is Kano today? Awfully quiet

02-07-2019, 06:50 PM

Sat with headphones on listening to that with my partner sitting on the other end of the couch clearly thinking I had lost the plot. Seeing Sir Tom looking so obviously frail was a real shock, like you l listened to his speech with tears streaming down my face. Anybody who still cant appreciate what he has done for this club ... OUR CLUB ... and doesn't think he deserves a stand named after him or something similar must have a heart of bloody stone.

Thank you STF …. forever a Hibs legend :not worth

JohnMcM
02-07-2019, 06:55 PM
Sat with headphones on listening to that with my partner sitting on the other end of the couch clearly thinking I had lost the plot. Seeing Sir Tom looking so obviously frail was a real shock, like you l listened to his speech with tears streaming down my face. Anybody who still cant appreciate what he has done for this club ... OUR CLUB ... and doesn't think he deserves a stand named after him or something similar must have a heart of bloody stone.

If there was a like button on this forum, I would be hitting it from now until this time tomorrow for your post Nae Nookie.

banchoryhibs
02-07-2019, 06:59 PM
Just watched it, we were blessed to have had Sir Tom and Rod at the helm.
Sir Tom has left a tremendous legacy to the whole community.
We are indebted to a great man.

02-07-2019, 07:12 PM
Don't think Leeann enjoyed the majorettes joke and it definitely looked like she was uncomfortable with some of what Sir Tom was saying. Hope Leeann is behind this as much as Farmer and Petrie is, my concern is the frailty of Farmer and this being the correct move for the club. Unfortunately the way Farmer thanked Leeann didn't seem well received either...

Maybe reading too much into it but certainly seemed to be awkward.

They deserve great thanks for their service to the club. Really hope they haven't been sold an unfeasible dream though.

02-07-2019, 07:15 PM
Don't think Leeann enjoyed the majorettes joke and it definitely looked like she was uncomfortable with some of what Sir Tom was saying. Hope Leeann is behind this as much as Farmer and Petrie is, my concern is the frailty of Farmer and this being the correct move for the club. Unfortunately the way Farmer thanked Leeann didn't seem well received either...

Maybe reading too much into it but certainly seemed to be awkward.

They deserve great thanks for their service to the club. Really hope they haven't been sold an unfeasible dream though.

I noticed that too but probably not much point reading too much into it, especially with STF and Petrie moving on. I certainly don’t think we’ll be seeing cheerleaders at Easter Road any time soon though.

pontius pilate
02-07-2019, 09:27 PM
Is it just me who thinks Ms Dempster was taking a thinly veiled swipe at sir tkm and RP. Or is it just the usual platitudes? Using the terminology she used leads me to think there is going to be big changes not only within the stadium but at HTC and also within the playing squad in the coming months and years

02-07-2019, 09:52 PM
Is it just me who thinks Ms Dempster was taking a thinly veiled swipe at sir tkm and RP. Or is it just the usual platitudes? Using the terminology she used leads me to think there is going to be big changes not only within the stadium but at HTC and also within the playing squad in the coming months and years

I like the fact she used the word 'adventurous' when talking about the future plans for the club. It makes you think they could have big goals and there will be substantial investment on top of the 7 figures already pledged to achieve them.

pontius pilate
02-07-2019, 09:55 PM
I like the fact she used the word 'adventurous' when talking about the future plans for the club. It makes you think they could have big goals and there will be substantial investment on top of the 7 figures already pledged to achieve them.

Yep that's what I was picking up on. Key words being used dare I say dynamic words

02-07-2019, 10:09 PM
Yep that's what I was picking up on. Key words being used dare I say dynamic words

I think today was rightly all about Farmer and Petrie, to go into too much detail about things that could be improved upon today could have come across disrespectful.

I suspect we’ll hear a lot more about the bigger plans going forward over the next few days and/or weeks.

Exclusive HibsTv interview tomorrow perhaps?

02-07-2019, 10:19 PM

Same. All spoke well. GGTTH!

02-07-2019, 11:20 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if she has some frustrations in terms of being able to deliver a more ambitious vision and goals in the last year or two.

Clearly (and probably rightly considering what had gone before) STF and by default RP were somewhat cautious custodians of the club.

But hopefully now is the right time for a step change in terms of where those goals are being set and hopefully LD is on board with that and sees a fresh and invigorating challenge in delivering them.

That’s said I thought throughout her body language was slightly off but maybe that was more her deferring to the grandees signing off rather than anything more sinister.

03-07-2019, 12:31 AM
Every Hibee must watch that video. That was incredibly moving from Sir Tom. What a lucky bunch we are to support such a fantastic club ladies and gents!

03-07-2019, 05:32 AM
Don't want to bring the tone down but farmer didn't look in the best health there. Maybe that's why this is happening now.

03-07-2019, 06:33 AM
Don't want to bring the tone down but farmer didn't look in the best health there. Maybe that's why this is happening now.

For me Sir Tom Farmer simply reflected what he is, an ageing gentleman who retains all of his faculties but is slowing down. He is 79 years of age in a week’s time for goodness sake and nobody deserves more the opportunity to retire gracefully. That man is a giant in British business and especially in Hibernian Football Club and also in Edinburgh and Leith society. He is also a giant within his chosen religion and a huge contributor to charitable and community causes. Nobody approaching their 80th year is long for this mortal coil but Sir Tom has a few years left in him yet and I would like to join with many thousands of others in wishing him a very content and happy retirement that he can share with family and friends.

03-07-2019, 07:49 AM

I thought the same to begin with, although once he started speaking he came across quite well. Hope that what he says about being careful in handing over the keys is true and he's not just doing it because of his health. Although I think it's likely both of these things

03-07-2019, 08:20 AM

"There you are" will be STF equivalent of I did it my way for me. I thought he was articulate and warm and signed off in a dignified way with a hint of Scottish humour. A perfect closing speech for a perfect owner. He should be remembered just as fondly as the football players who won the cup and in my mind is far more important. I hope he has many years to come watching Hibs in a stand named in his honour and on first viewing it looks like we have a new owner who has some similarities. Let's kick on from here and get on a bigger faster bus.

ozwoody
03-07-2019, 08:22 AM

sad to see sir Tom looking so frail, the guy is still a god for what he has overseen as custodian and history will be very kind to his legacy. I paid particular attention to LD from the first seconds as her body language seemed odd, no eye contact and very defensive posture.Her words were voiced very flatly as well , no enthusiasm in them.I could be wrong but she came across as someone that didn't want to be at that presser at all.

Crazyhorse
03-07-2019, 08:27 AM

Dreaming up another conspiracy?

03-07-2019, 08:36 AM
sad to see sir Tom looking so frail, the guy is still a god for what he has overseen as custodian and history will be very kind to his legacy. I paid particular attention to LD from the first seconds as her body language seemed odd, no eye contact and very defensive posture.Her words were voiced very flatly as well , no enthusiasm in them.I could be wrong but she came across as someone that didn't want to be at that presser at all.

Have you ever sat at one of these tables with dozens of people watching and/or filming you? The 4 people at that table yesterday knew pretty much exactly what the others would be saying. Often people in these situations will choose a spot and only occasionally take their eyes off it.

Yesterday's announcement was huge, and if either of the 2 main players wanted to crack a wee joke then fine, but the occasion itself was very serious.

03-07-2019, 08:39 AM
Have you ever sat at one of these tables with dozens of people watching and/or filming you? The 4 people at that table yesterday knew pretty much exactly what the others would be saying. Often people in these situations will choose a spot and only occasionally take their eyes off it.

Yesterday's announcement was huge, and if either of the 2 main players wanted to crack a wee joke then fine, but the occasion itself was very serious.

Agree was important to get out the concerted message which they did very well IMO.

ozwoody
03-07-2019, 09:21 AM

I have yep,both at exec level and on Skype.Everyone knows that every word said and gesture done is scrutinised, more so when it’s about something as large as this announcement. LD was not as engaged in the press conference as she has been in the past.She never focussed on one spot but was looking all around as Rod spoke and looked uncomfortable.As I say , I could be wrong but that’s what I took away from watching her.I think the joke was Sir Tom showing his cheeky side

03-07-2019, 11:55 AM
I have yep,both at exec level and on Skype.Everyone knows that every word said and gesture done is scrutinised, more so when it’s about something as large as this announcement. LD was not as engaged in the press conference as she has been in the past.She never focussed on one spot but was looking all around as Rod spoke and looked uncomfortable.As I say , I could be wrong but that’s what I took away from watching her.I think the joke was Sir Tom showing his cheeky side

To me that was just LD in business mode. She was exactly the same at the HSL agm. There to do her thing and no more.

Dan Sarf
03-07-2019, 01:24 PM
Since ah’ve been in post, Rod Petrie on a one-to-one basis in terms of our direction of travel early days has never been problematic if you like. But Ronald Gordon has now came in and, if ah’m honest, it could be time for me to transition out and get on wi’ it, let’s put it that way? That’s the reality. Unless Ron decides to elevate ma wages and rightly so?

Peanut Shaz
03-07-2019, 04:47 PM
By her own admission Leeann has stated that she's out her comfort zone speaking to large audiences. She has said she is more comfortable in a boardroom or organised meeting with smaller numbers present. She may well be a very astute and confident business women but actually comes across as quite quiet and unassuming. I don't read any more into it than that.

Antonyopus
03-07-2019, 05:44 PM
Mmmm to me she looked miles away. Disinterested, uncomfortable and unhappy. Her statement was articulated with zero feeling and no emotion. Going through the motions in my opinion. The body language was also very telling. It reminded me of the ABBA video singing the winner takes it all. LD is our Agnetha. Watch it and you will see what I mean and we all know how that particular relationship turned out.....moving on sometime soon I reckon.

03-07-2019, 05:50 PM
Mmmm to me she looked miles away. Disinterested, uncomfortable and unhappy. Her statement was articulated with zero feeling and no emotion. Going through the motions in my opinion. The body language was also very telling. It reminded me of the ABBA video singing the winner takes it all. LD is our Agnetha. Watch it and you will see what I mean and we all know how that particular relationship turned out.....moving on sometime soon I reckon.

I felt the complete opposite. Thought she looked rather emotional tbh

03-07-2019, 05:50 PM

What utter tosh.

03-07-2019, 05:55 PM

Are you spewing? I would be if it was Hearts.

03-07-2019, 05:57 PM

Geez a poppy, go on, geez one.

Antonyopus
03-07-2019, 06:02 PM
Disappointing but completely expected. Dearie me.

03-07-2019, 06:07 PM

Antony, yo puss is trippin ye.

Sioux
03-07-2019, 06:12 PM

You're making an arse of yourself. Bolt.

ElginHibbie
03-07-2019, 06:12 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-eJYtnXoAImIOY?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

She looks miserable right enough

03-07-2019, 06:17 PM
My take was that Leeann was a bit uncomfortable with STF
talking freely and off-script. When she needn’t have been because that’s what made it worth watching.

Got the impression she would rather have been more in control and involved, interesting that other posters point that she doesn’t enjoy that so much.

erin-go-bragh87
03-07-2019, 06:18 PM

They are all out in force on Twitter.

03-07-2019, 06:18 PM
Leeann has never come across as a brilliant public orator when I've seen her. She says what needs to be said but it doesn't seem to be her forte. I didn't really see anything different from her yesterday.

There have been rumours about STFs health for years now but he still appears and speaks publicly; if he had the conditions often rumoured that wouldn't be happening. He looked the same yesterday as when he spoke at the AGM the season after we were relegated. Frailer than he was, a bit slower and looking his age but still able to speak well and with passion.

I thought all parties spoke well and played their role accordingly.

03-07-2019, 06:23 PM
For me Sir Tom Farmer simply reflected what he is, an ageing gentleman who retains all of his faculties but is slowing down. He is 79 years of age in a week’s time for goodness sake and nobody deserves more the opportunity to retire gracefully. That man is a giant in British business and especially in Hibernian Football Club and also in Edinburgh and Leith society. He is also a giant within his chosen religion and a huge contributor to charitable and community causes. Nobody approaching their 80th year is long for this mortal coil but Sir Tom has a few years left in him yet and I would like to join with many thousands of others in wishing him a very content and happy retirement that he can share with family and friends.
Yes the key part of the event was Rod and Sir Tom saying goodbye. They did this well but Tom, though funny, also appeared, as he said, at the end of his Hibs bus ride . Good timing. I think Leeann will be comfortable with Ron generally but he expects to be more hands on. Ron will very much need Leeann especially in the short term and will take her into areas she has less experience in. I think this should work ok Body language was probably more about it being the Rod and Tom show. The next pressie will tell us more . Too early to panic 😃 I think too that we will have to be more robust in interpreting Ron’s communications. Lots of cultural differences

03-07-2019, 06:26 PM
My take was that Leeann was a bit uncomfortable with STF
talking freely and off-script. When she needn’t have been because that’s what made it worth watching.

Got the impression she would rather have been more in control and involved, interesting that other posters point that she doesn’t enjoy that so much.

It was an odd conference in a way. Four successful people. Each a leader in their own right. All used to being the main spokesperson on such occasions.

I wonder how often in recent years has Rod sat in the wing and been upstaged in such gatherings. Not too often. LD is the same. Front and centre in everything to do with hibs but this wasn't her day. It was about Sir Tom - getting off the bus - and Ron Gordon getting on.

Awkward probably but everything came out that needed to.

hibsdaft
03-07-2019, 07:12 PM
It seemed to me that they were all reading - or meant to be reading - mutually pre-agreed scripts. I think STF has thought screw that, nobody tells me what to say on a day like this. He's gone a wee bit rogue, ad-libbing at times, and Leann has got very nervous at this as it's such a sensitive moment and transition.

If STF is getting off the bus, Leann is staying on
Understandable that she couldn't be quite so relaxed. The outcome of yesterday was pivotal to her future role at the club. How it was managed matters in the short and longer term for her and for the club.

Antonyopus
03-07-2019, 07:47 PM
Just glad there are some reasoned responses rather than ignorant one liners. Bully all you want but it will not stop me expressing my opinion. Oh and I have supported Hibs for nearly 50 years. Let’s just see how it all turns out before you vent any more vitriol,

03-07-2019, 08:49 PM

Very well said.