PDA

View Full Version : Get Sauzee back for a visit now?...

California-Hibs
02-07-2019, 03:11 PM
Seeing as Rod isn't there anymore and apparent reports that Sauzee said to multiple folk he wouldn't be back as long as Petrie remained at the club because of how things ended..... Can we get on the blower to see if he'd be interested in doing a half time appearance please? 😁

WhileTheChief..
02-07-2019, 03:12 PM
Nah, he’s had his chance.

Forwards not backwards.

Scouse Hibee
02-07-2019, 03:23 PM
Never shown any interest what so ever in Hibs since he left so no thanks.

Pretty Boy
02-07-2019, 03:34 PM
If it happens, it happens.

I won't be losing too much sleep over it though. Great player for us who I loved at the time. We have bigger legends who achieved far more at Hibs, some of them still playing for us.

The 90+2
02-07-2019, 03:36 PM
Nah, he’s had his chance.

Forwards not backwards.

Aye right :greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-07-2019, 03:36 PM
Better to recruit players of his ability

Barman Stanton
02-07-2019, 03:39 PM
I dont think he is really interested in us any more. The way he left clearly hurt him so probably just best left I imagine. Still the best player I have seen play for us though. Didnt think we would ever see a Sauzee type signing again but who knows now.

MWHIBBIES
02-07-2019, 03:39 PM
Id rather get Rod back for a visit, real Hibby

HFC93
02-07-2019, 03:40 PM
Always felt like an excuse to me, no reason why he couldn’t have interacted with supporters groups etc over the years.

Bishop Hibee
02-07-2019, 03:43 PM
It'd be great to get Sauzee back but it's unlikely. Hibs would make a few quid as the place would be sold out.

CRAZYHIBBY
02-07-2019, 03:43 PM
Why?.... so you can shake his hand and say alright frank. He was great for us when he was here but that was 20 year ago

JohnMcM
02-07-2019, 03:44 PM
Seeing as Rod isn't there anymore and apparent reports that Sauzee said to multiple folk he wouldn't be back as long as Petrie remained at the club because of how things ended..... Can we get on the blower to see if he'd be interested in doing a half time appearance please? 😁

Hmmmmmm?

I'll keep my jury out on that one thanks. He hasn't looked back since he left as far as I know. Great player as he was, his manner of leaving left a sour taste.

:flag:

HoboHarry
02-07-2019, 03:44 PM
Never understood why he would have a problem with Rod Petrie? It was Malcolm McPherson that fired him was it not?

Diclonius
02-07-2019, 03:45 PM
I'd rather focus on the living legends already at the club.

Dalianwanda
02-07-2019, 03:46 PM
He got plenty of love when he was here & never showed any in return when he left...

Tobias Funke
02-07-2019, 03:48 PM
The negativity in this thread beggars belief.

Unbeaten against the Jambos.
0-3
6-2
Scottish Cup Final.
Captaining us during the excellent 2000-01 season.

Absolute legend, welcome back any day.

My_Wife_Camille
02-07-2019, 03:48 PM

0-3
6-2
Scottish Cup Final.

He's been away and nowhere to be seen for nearly 20 years now. There's a huge (and growing) number of Hibs fans who will have never seen him play and will have no interest or attachment to him whatsoever so I don't think that an appearance from him would bring the same excitement as it would have even 10 years ago.

Guys like Gray, McGregor, Lewis and Paul are bigger Hibernian legends than Sauzee will ever be

The 90+2
02-07-2019, 03:51 PM

Who supports Aberdeen?

.Sean.
02-07-2019, 03:51 PM
No thanks, he couldn't care less about us. Yesterdays man

Hiber-nation
02-07-2019, 03:54 PM
Who supports Aberdeen?

Sheep ****ging bassas.

HoboHarry
02-07-2019, 03:55 PM
Sheep ****ging bassas.
Knock it off ewe.....

sauzee6_2
02-07-2019, 03:57 PM
Find some of the comments above incredible!

Can only assume many are younger supporters and did not appreciate le god.

Personally, I’d pay double to see him back at ER.

Worship the ground he walks on.

ancient hibee
02-07-2019, 04:03 PM

0-3
6-2
Scottish Cup Final.

He should have come then.

Prof. Shaggy
02-07-2019, 04:07 PM
I'd guess he's lost that half-yard of pace...

BSEJVT
02-07-2019, 04:10 PM
The Sauzee won't come back until Petrie is gone nonsense is absolute horse****.

Pretty much like supporters who claimed the same.

I doubt we will see either at ER any time soon and could not give a tinker's damn whether we do or don't.

Hibs are so much bigger than any individual grievances and if they can't see that we can live comfortably without either

truehibernian
02-07-2019, 04:12 PM
He should have come then.

Agreed, no matter how harshly he was dealt with he received a very handsome pay-off and earned a fortune here as a player. I met him when he was moving house back then (after his sacking) and to be fair he looked distraught and only had the kindest of words to say about the club - which makes it even more bizarre that he hasn't even come over for a visit and a walk on the grass to take some acclaim. If he was ever going to he would have done it by now.

Lovely man, would love to see him at Easter Road again but it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

however........Joe T walking on at half-time next derby with a smoke sausage supper in one hand, waving dollar bills in the other, singing 'if you hate the ....... jambos clap your hands' is what I yearn to see :greengrin....make it happen Ron :aok:

CmoantheHibs
02-07-2019, 04:14 PM
No offence but he doesn't give a **** about our club. Never thought he should be punted but hey ho. Let him deal with it. We are Hibernian fc and if someone decides to diss us for so long because he didn't agree with the decision he can Showed absolutely no allegiance to our club or fans after he left let him get on w8th his life and us ours

WoreTheGreen
02-07-2019, 04:15 PM
Agreed, no matter how harshly he was dealt with he received a very handsome pay-off and earned a fortune here as a player. I met him when he was moving house back then (after his sacking) and to be fair he looked distraught and only had the kindest of words to say about the club - which makes it even more bizarre that he hasn't even come over for a visit and a walk on the grass to take some acclaim. If he was ever going to he would have done it by now.

Lovely man, would love to see him at Easter Road again but it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

however........Joe T walking on at half-time next derby with a smoke sausage supper in one hand, waving dollar bills in the other, singing 'if you hate the ....... jambos clap your hands' is what I yearn to see :greengrin....make it happen Ron :aok:

Vegan sausage!

The Modfather
02-07-2019, 04:15 PM
He's been away and nowhere to be seen for nearly 20 years now. There's a huge (and growing) number of Hibs fans who will have never seen him play and will have no interest or attachment to him whatsoever so I don't think that an appearance from him would bring the same excitement as it would have even 10 years ago.

Guys like Gray, McGregor, Lewis and Paul are bigger Hibernian legends than Sauzee will ever be

While that’s true, of that age group a sizeable amount seem to “remember” Mercer. Sure they would appreciate King Franck.

I’d like to see him back as probably my all time favourite player, possibly except for McGinn, but sadly don’t think he’s too fussed about returning as sure he has ignored similar calls from Marseille over the years.

Fife-Hibee
02-07-2019, 04:16 PM
I think the reactions on here are rather unfortunate. None of us know the full details behind his departure or what was said or not said behind closed doors. If he turns up one day, then great. He won't have to buy a single pint. If he doesn't, then he doesn't and that's a decision I think most of us can respect.

Dalianwanda
02-07-2019, 04:18 PM

Im certainly not 'younger'...Great player, one of the best & a total gent..He wants nowt to do with us, his choice.

neil7908
02-07-2019, 04:19 PM
I think the reactions on here are rather unfortunate. None of us know the full details behind his departure or what was said or not said behind closed doors. If he turns up one day, then great. He won't have to buy a single pint. If he doesn't, then he doesn't and that's a decision I think most of us can respect.

This. He's one of my biggest football hero's and in my 25 years watching Hibs easily the best player I've ever seen in a Hibs shirt.

I find it very hard to say a bad word about the guy. I hope all those sagging him are equally scathing about Stokes, who clearly has no respect for the club.

My_Wife_Camille
02-07-2019, 04:21 PM
This. He's one of my biggest football hero's and in my 25 years watching Hibs easily the best player I've ever seen in a Hibs shirt.

I find it very hard to say a bad word about the guy. I hope all those sagging him are equally scathing about Stokes, who clearly has no respect for the club.
What a jobber 🤣

truehibernian
02-07-2019, 04:24 PM
Vegan sausage!

:greengrin:wink: big Callum Milne can eat the supper if it's going spare :aok:

WoreTheGreen
02-07-2019, 04:25 PM
:greengrin:wink: big Callum Milne can eat the supper if it's going spare :aok:

Raw!

truehibernian
02-07-2019, 04:28 PM
Raw!

:top marks:faf: so true........for some reason I've now got the Blazing Saddles campfire scene in my head........you wouldn't mess with the big felly.

The_Horde
02-07-2019, 04:29 PM
Dunno what the fascination is with Sauzee. The guy clearly doesn't give a flying one about us and we've got bigger and better legends at the club now.

Steve20
02-07-2019, 04:31 PM
Some of the comments about Le God are a disgrace on here. Best player I’ve seen play for Hibs, you could tell he clearly loved playing for the club. It probably did leave a sour taste for him when he left but that’s because he was treated appallingly.

I can only assume those that are making negative comments about the great man never seen him at Hibs or choose not to remember just how phenomenal he was for us.

hibsbollah
02-07-2019, 04:35 PM
Some of the comments about Le God are a disgrace on here. Best player I’ve seen play for Hibs, you could tell he clearly loved playing for the club. It probably did leave a sour taste for him when he left but that’s because he was treated appallingly.

I can only assume those that are making negative comments about the great man never seen him at Hibs or choose not to remember just how phenomenal he was for us.

I think some of the comments on this thread just reflect the reality that a lot of hibs net users are just attention seeking, stupid, ignorant erseholes.

WoreTheGreen
02-07-2019, 04:36 PM
:top marks:faf: so true........for some reason I've now got the Blazing Saddles campfire scene in my head........you wouldn't mess with the big felly.

A classic “we don’t need no stinking badges “

The Modfather
02-07-2019, 04:36 PM
What a jobber 🤣

What’s a jobber?

The 90+2
02-07-2019, 04:39 PM
What’s a jobber?

Failure.

1875STEVE
02-07-2019, 04:41 PM

Myself aswell.

I just got this too, so id be delighted. 22248

neil7908
02-07-2019, 04:44 PM
What a jobber 🤣

Eh?

SunshineOnLeith
02-07-2019, 04:46 PM

He left seventeen years ago. You don't need to be that 'young' to have little or no memory of him having played for us.

neil7908
02-07-2019, 04:47 PM
I think some of the comments on this thread just reflect the reality that a lot of hibs net users are just attention seeking, stupid, ignorant erseholes.

😂😂😂😂

BILLYHIBS
02-07-2019, 04:48 PM
Le God!

https://youtu.be/zJmjAtyePzw

Speedway
02-07-2019, 04:48 PM
Never understood why he would have a problem with Rod Petrie? It was Malcolm McPherson that fired him was it not?

Yup. Legend has it that only Rod voted to keep him.

The 90+2
02-07-2019, 04:49 PM
He left seventeen years ago. You don't need to be that 'young' to have little or no memory of him having played for us.

Everyone over 25 will remember Sauzee playing for Hibs. After that it’s young.

BurghHibby
02-07-2019, 04:49 PM
Bring him back

supermcginn
02-07-2019, 04:50 PM

Correct. My all time hero

.Sean.
02-07-2019, 04:51 PM

I seen him play in probably 90% of his home matches and trips to Hampden so stop patronising folk.

He doesn't give a **** about the club or the fans so why should we bother about him 20 years on.

Baader
02-07-2019, 04:52 PM
Always refreshing to see the boots getting stuck into another Hibs legend...

Kaiser Sauzee is welcome anytime at Easter Road. Would love to see him back. :sauzee:

J-C
02-07-2019, 04:53 PM
Rod or not he couldn't give a monkeys about us, Petrie should never be used as an excuse to visit the fans.

The 90+2
02-07-2019, 04:53 PM
I seen him play in probably 90% of his home matches and trips to Hampden so stop patronising folk.

He doesn't give a **** about the club or the fans so why should we bother about him 20 years on.

How do you know he doesn’t give a ****? Go and point to where he’s ever said that.

Smartie
02-07-2019, 04:57 PM
This "doesn't give a ****" stuff is a bit of a leap is it not?

Ok, so he hasn't been back.

The man was always a bit mercurial, temperamental and cool.

I like the fact that he doesn't need to come over every 5 minutes to have his ego massaged.

The man gave us everything he could at the end of a glittering career, and nobody could deny his departure was harsh and could only have hurt him.

I'd like to think the door's open for him any time he wants to come back.

Until he does, we're not exactly short of other people to acclaim.

hibsbollah
02-07-2019, 04:59 PM
Rod or not he couldn't give a monkeys about us, Petrie should never be used as an excuse to visit the fans.

Ex players that go back 'to visit the fans' often do so to wander about the pitch waving for 5 minutes, get reacquainted with Scottish based media types, potential business partners and golf buddies and massage their egos.

Franck is entitled to think its a bit of a charade. I liked his comment to the hootsman when he left, that he would definitely return one day, but as a normal supporter, maybe in disguise.

J-C
02-07-2019, 05:02 PM
Ex players that go back 'to visit the fans' often do so to wander about the pitch waving for 5 minutes, get reacquainted with Scottish based media types, potential business partners and golf buddies and massage their egos.

Franck is entitled to think its a bit of a charade. I liked his comment to the hootsman when he left, that he would definitely return one day, but as a normal supporter, maybe in disguise.

There's been ample opportunity to come to players testimonial dinners etc.

Fisherrow Harp
02-07-2019, 05:06 PM
This. It made me think of how Rod's legacy will be viewed in 10 or 20 years.

My_Wife_Camille
02-07-2019, 05:10 PM
What’s a jobber?
It’s like jobby but just with a 21st century twist at the end for some variation

hibsbollah
02-07-2019, 05:13 PM
There's been ample opportunity to come to players testimonial dinners etc.

So what?? Honestly, I love Hibs, I've enjoyed the company of players on multiple occasions myself, but I hate those kind of cheezy backslapping affairs as well. I didn't consider going to Lewis Stevenson's, and I love him as much as I do Franck.

If someone decides a Provencal riverbank is where they want to spend most of their time, that's a matter for them and a sensible decision in my book. Doesn't detract from his legacy of genius on the field or deserving of our acclaim one iota.

The_Exile
02-07-2019, 05:13 PM
Rod was one of the only directors to vote to keep Franck on, that is a FACT.

e2los
02-07-2019, 05:16 PM
Sauzee?

Meh, Journeyman.

I remember thinking that the game could end up being a draw before the start of that 5-1 game against Dundee in 2000.

I recall Dundee scoring first (I think), and watching what was the most amazing display of football from hibs playing as a team.

Aside from myself being a lot younger it was a great season of football.

https://www.skysports.com/football/hibernian-vs-dundee/table/113547

There is and always will be only one Sauzee!

Check out the line out on that game... We were really good then.

Pretty Boy
02-07-2019, 05:21 PM
I loved Sauzee as a player, absolutely idolised him and I was devestated when he was sacked. I was 15 when he left and I genuinely believe it was the last time I had a football player as an idol. It was almost like a watershed moment.

I just don't have an strong feelings about seeing him come back. It's his choice and if he wants to put that part of his life behind him and enjoy his retirement then I don't have any desire to beg him to come back. I appreciate how he performed for us on the park, I have many fond memories of following that Hibs team home and away and I would never question his commitment to the cause when he was here.

He's moved on, the club has moved on and maybe it's time for the fans to do the same.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-07-2019, 05:26 PM
The Sauzee won't come back until Petrie is gone nonsense is absolute horse****.

Pretty much like supporters who claimed the same.

I doubt we will see either at ER any time soon and could not give a tinker's damn whether we do or don't.

Hibs are so much bigger than any individual grievances and if they can't see that we can live comfortably without either

Perpetuation of a myth that’s a bit tiresome. Petrie voted to keep Sauzee. MacPherson delivered the news and was chairman at the time.

And yes I still have my Ché Petrie T-shirt.

hibbyfraelibby
02-07-2019, 05:36 PM
Sauzee was a great player for us, but he didn't win the Scottish Cup and was a crap manager. He's part of our history, like George Best, but he's not our future.

One Day Soon
02-07-2019, 05:42 PM

:agree: Absolutely spot on.

I'd put watching Sauzee playing in a Hibs shirt in my all-time top five Hibernian experiences.

HoboHarry
02-07-2019, 05:44 PM
Lol - well said :top marks

Hiber-nation
02-07-2019, 05:47 PM
:agree: Absolutely spot on.

I'd put watching Sauzee playing in a Hibs shirt in my all-time top five Hibernian experiences.

Absolutely. I couldn't care less what he has or hasn't done since he left. He's the best player I've seen in a Hibs jersey and it was an absolute privilege to watch him.

Tobias Funke
02-07-2019, 05:50 PM

In a nutshell. :top marks This place is dismal sometimes.

Wilson
02-07-2019, 05:58 PM

At the same time it is creepy that grown men are acting like jilted lovers that just can't take the hint. I don't disagree that he was phenomenal. However, I also agree with the sentiment that others have done more for the club and are still here. Lets support them.

Today is very much about the future. Franck isn't interested so leave him alone. Lets look forward.

hibsbollah
02-07-2019, 06:08 PM
grown men are acting like jilted lovers that just can't take the hint.

Source? Haven't seen any evidence of anyone acting like that.

Bishop Hibee
02-07-2019, 06:12 PM
Whose to say Sauzee doesn't have a subscription to HibsTV and raises a glass of Chateau Lafite Rothschild to every victory?

Tobias Funke
02-07-2019, 06:13 PM
At the same time it is creepy that grown men are acting like jilted lovers that just can't take the hint.

Jesus suffering **** 😂😂

Like I said a few moments ago, dismal. 🙄

The 90+2
02-07-2019, 06:13 PM
Whose to say Sauzee doesn't have a subscription to HibsTV and raises a glass of Chateau Lafite Rothschild to every victory?

He does! He watches every game on Zitelli.

DetroitHibs
02-07-2019, 06:19 PM
Our obsession with ex players coming back is borderline creepy.

hfc rd
02-07-2019, 06:23 PM
Would love to see him back as he was my first Hibs hero. At the same time though, not fussed if he doesn’t want to come back.

The 90+2
02-07-2019, 06:27 PM
Our obsession with ex players coming back is borderline creepy.

In what way creepy? I would love an explanation from people that say that. It’s not exactly Tam Smith we are going on about.

Scouse Hibee
02-07-2019, 06:59 PM

To be honest coming out with comments like that just because people have a differing opinion to your own makes you sound like one.

hibsbollah
02-07-2019, 07:02 PM
To be honest coming out with comments like that just because people have a differing opinion to your own makes you sound like one.

Im not saying it because they have a different opinion to me, I'm saying it because they say it in a pig ignorant way.

Frazerbob
02-07-2019, 07:05 PM
Why?.... so you can shake his hand and say alright frank. He was great for us when he was here but that was 20 year ago

FFS thanks for making me feel old!

Onceinawhile
02-07-2019, 07:14 PM
Doesn't go back to marseille either, AFAIK rod petrie isn't involved there, so think it's a red herring from the "blame rod petrie" era.

Wilson
02-07-2019, 07:15 PM
Source? Haven't seen any evidence of anyone acting like that.

The fact that there is a thread at all for one. This is probably the biggest hibs news in the 25 years I've been a supporter and somebody's first thought is about getting Franck in. I mean seriously?

Then the comment about worshiping the ground he walks on and paying double to see him....

If I were Sauzee I'd take out a restraining order against that guy not turn up for a visit!

Come on people. Let's look forward.

LeithMike
02-07-2019, 07:16 PM
Some of the comments on this thread are staggering. Sauzee was a brilliant player for Hibs and put his heart and soul into the club when he could have just drawn a pay check at the end of his career. We should always warmly welcome our players back even if they have drifted away. So what if he has not shown any interest after leaving, he gave everything while he was here and was treated pretty poorly by the players and Board when he went into management.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Wilson
02-07-2019, 07:18 PM
Some of the comments on this thread are staggering. Sauzee was a brilliant player for Hibs and put his heart and soul into the club when he could have just drawn a pay check at the end of his career. We should always warmly welcome our players back even if they have drifted away. So what if he has not shown any interest after leaving, he gave everything while he was here and was treated pretty poorly by the players and Board when he went into management.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

C'est la vie. As the great man may or may not have ever said. He's moved on. We should too.

DetroitHibs
02-07-2019, 08:23 PM
In what way creepy? I would love an explanation from people that say that. It’s not exactly Tam Smith we are going on about.

Just a crazy obsession about wanting players to come back after they leave. There’s always threads popping up wanting ex players that are past it to come back, or in this instance Frank. Frank was a great player, the doors been open for him to come back anytime he wants. He chose to move on from Hibs, probably doesn’t even give us a second thought.

Orchard_Hibs
02-07-2019, 08:35 PM
Get him back, make him DoF!

DetroitHibs
02-07-2019, 08:42 PM

A failed manager and now a commentator and you want him to be the DOF. See what I mean, bonkers.

marinello59
02-07-2019, 09:03 PM

Erm.... no.

Smartie
02-07-2019, 09:13 PM

I'd love Tam Smith to come back. He can do the half time wave to the crowd thing then come back to my flat and I'll make him his tea.

He can then look at the room I've turned into a shrine to him, Shaun Dennis and my other hero, the ex-children's BBC presenter Andy Crane.

silverhibee
02-07-2019, 10:02 PM
How do you know he doesn’t give a ****? Go and point to where he’s ever said that.

He ignored calls emails & letters to get him back for Nids testimonial.

Vault Boy
02-07-2019, 10:07 PM
Sauzee was before my time so I'll never understand the status that a lot of fans give him.

I've always been fascinated to know just how good he was, to still be revered in such a way, despite not winning a major trophy for us.

The 90+2
02-07-2019, 10:09 PM
He ignored calls emails & letters to get him back for Nids testimonial.

Ian I know got a letter personally wishing him well for his testimonial from FS. For what it’s worth I don’t think Le God will be back, it’s not his thing it seems.

The 90+2
02-07-2019, 10:11 PM
Sauzee was before my time so I'll never understand the status that a lot of fans give him.

I've always been fascinated to know just how good he was, to still be revered in such a way, despite not winning a major trophy for us.

He was the only player when watching Hibernian I’ve ever watched knowing two steps ahead where the pass was going and that’s incredible in Scottish football. Think Boozy x 100 or Dylan x 500.

That’s before the wand of a foot or his physical head.

Spike Mandela
02-07-2019, 10:22 PM

Best player I have seen playing for Hibs in 43 years of watching them. Oozed class both on the field and off. He bought into the Hibs vision, he had the same passion whether it was the championship or a cup final and he had great respect for opponents.

He could see a pass a tackle or a shooting opportunity quicker than most and as far as I remember never lost to Hearts. While he scored great goals I remember all the brilliant flicks, passes, tackles, dummies etc that he made on a game by game basis, a sheer joy to watch

Gutted the way it finished and I wish the Hibs board had held it’s nerve but it wasn’t to be.

Shame you never got to see him play. C’est la vie.:wink:

HoboHarry
02-07-2019, 10:28 PM
Best player I have seen playing for Hibs in 43 years of watching them. Oozed class both on the field and off. He bought into the Hibs vision, he had the same passion whether it was the championship or a cup final and he had great respect for opponents.

He could see a pass a tackle or a shooting opportunity quicker than most and as far as I remember never lost to Hearts. While he scored great goals I remember all the brilliant flicks, passes, tackles, dummies etc that he made on a game by game basis, a sheer joy to watch

Gutted the way it finished and I wish the Hibs board had held it’s nerve but it wasn’t to be.

:agree: Light years ahead of most players we see in Scotland, imagine what he would have been like if we had got him at the peak of his powers?

tamig
02-07-2019, 10:39 PM

Theres plenty on Youtube that gives you an idea.

Vault Boy
02-07-2019, 10:48 PM
He was the only player when watching Hibernian I’ve ever watched knowing two steps ahead where the pass was going and that’s incredible in Scottish football. Think Boozy x 100 or Dylan x 500.

Thanks for your reflections folks. He sounds like a player that I would have adored watching, the few clips I've seen can't do justice for a player in that mould. The consistent theme of his excellence seems to be how quickly his mind would work and how expansively he read the game.

Funnily enough, I would probably say Boozy was my favourite player as a child, I loved his style, technique and composure.

I always tried to play like him during youth football (to a much, much lower standard of course) because I realised that what he did for the team fascinated me, it was a role I felt fewer young players were interested in filling, and I found that it benefited me greatly in developing a proper style and position.

If Sauzee was 100x better than my footballing idol growing up, then it's fair to say that I missed out on something pretty special.

Vault Boy
02-07-2019, 10:51 PM
Theres plenty on Youtube that gives you an idea.

I think I've exhausted his goal highlights, alongside that backheel pass in an Edinburgh derby. Some baws to execute that!

I don't think that's quite enough to fully appreciate his role in multiple full games for the club though. That being said, the technique on show in those clips is wondeful.

tamig
02-07-2019, 11:00 PM
I think I've exhausted his goal highlights, alongside that backheel pass in an Edinburgh derby. Some baws to execute that!

I don't think that's quite enough to fully appreciate his role in multiple full games for the club though. That being said, the technique on show in those clips is wondeful.
I didn’t realise what Sauzee was until I saw him in the flesh. I was at his debut at Brockville and probably missed no more than a handful of his appearances for us. He was such an influential leader on the pitch - the epitome of leading by example. However, he was hard as nails as well as being blessed with great skill. A genuine pleasure to see him play.

HoboHarry
02-07-2019, 11:27 PM
I didn’t realise what Sauzee was until I saw him in the flesh. I was at his debut at Brockville and probably missed no more than a handful of his appearances for us. He was such an influential leader on the pitch - the epitome of leading by example. However, he was hard as nails as well as being blessed with great skill. A genuine pleasure to see him play.
That game was my son's first Hibs game as we lived in Falkirk at the time. Took him to the toilets and he took one look and refused to pee in the hovel they called toilets lol.....

WestCoastHibby
03-07-2019, 02:48 AM
Frank was paid a very big wage at the time, scored some great goals and was a great guy. However he won **** all and is bandied about as a "legend" far too easily.
Lewis Stevenson is by far the bigger legend in my book

DetroitHibs
03-07-2019, 03:28 AM
When he played for us he was a legend in my eyes, “Le God”. But as times gone by he’s faded away to a distant memory that I enjoyed when he played for us. No longer put him on a pedestal, just another ex player that was a fantastic player. Fond memories, but that’s it. Always welcome back anytime, just don’t think we should beg him to come back.

BILLYHIBS
03-07-2019, 05:11 AM
Franck Sauzee was probably the best HIBS player I have seen at Easter Road since Pat Stanton

Elegant on the ball calm and assured in possession a very experienced cultured footballer a cool head when all about him were losing theirs but with an inner toughness belying the fact that he was as hard as nails

There is no doubting Franck Sauzees commitment to the Hibernian cause.

I remember the goal he scored in the Milennium Derby his tremendous strike versus Falkirk at Easter Road losing his two front teeth in a headed goal versus Hearts, booting the dug out when having to come off injured versus AEK Athens and playing while injured with his leg strapped up in a Scottish Cup Final

Anyone who was at the AEK Athens game will never forget the first SOL

He was one of the first foreign players who really bought into HIBS he really got us and what we were all about.

Another is Boozy but he is just a radge a total HIBS nut. :greengrin

He played the game the Hibernian way a beautiful footballer hard but fair. When he went into a tackle you just knew he was going to win the ball and he had an amazing way of striking the ball with tremendous power and accuracy

It is sad the way it all ended for Franck Sauzee but to me he will forever be a HIBS legend

He was a great guy, too cool for school, I don’t think he is the sort of guy that dwells in the past and as others have said he is probably sitting on a riverbank somewhere in France

Theres only one Sauzee!

https://youtu.be/0_dNDskgVAU

Jones28
03-07-2019, 05:33 AM
He does! He watches every game on Zitelli.

Where is Zitelli?

Barman Stanton
03-07-2019, 06:44 AM
For the younger ones who have not seen him , you are talking about a former French captain here. 39 caps. Champions League winner. Have we ever signed a player of that calibre before or since?

For me the key for him at Hibs was moving from midfield to sweeper. He would control the whole game from defence. Even made Gary Smith and Paul Fenwick look great. A genuine world class player.

Barman Stanton
03-07-2019, 06:49 AM

So true but unfortunately it’s just the way it is with some of our support. No one is off limit for the hate. Stubbs, Fyvie, Stokes, Riordan, O’Conner... have seen them all be slagged on here recently. Jambos don’t even need to belittle our legends, we seem to enjoy doing it ourselves.

BSEJVT
03-07-2019, 06:54 AM
Sauzee was an absolutely fantastic footballer with Hibs, there is no question about that.

Easily, easily in the top 20 I have seen in my time watching Hibs for over 50 years.

I can see why some people rate him even higher.

He carried it all off with the swagger of a guy who knew how good he was and that endeared him even further to the fans.

I was absolutely gutted that things ended the way they did, but sadly they did and for whatever reason he no longer wants to be involved.

No-one is bigger than Hibs and for that reason its long past time we moved on.

neil7908
03-07-2019, 07:31 AM
The thing about the Sauzee is that it wasn't just his class but his grit and will to win. He lost teeth challenging for a header - how many players have sacrificed parts of their body for Hibs!

We also need to remember that he was sacked by the club. Surely people can understand why he might not be desperate to come back after that?

He could easily have seen us as a final payday before retirement but gave 100% every game, whether that was a cup final or Stranraer. I'd suggest he 'gets' us as much as anyone can if they've only played here a few years.

Itsnoteasy
03-07-2019, 08:58 AM

Beastie was the same at Hibs. The man that made Charlie Nicholas. His legs were away but 2 moves ahead of his team mates

wpj
03-07-2019, 09:11 AM
Dunno what the fascination is with Sauzee. The guy clearly doesn't give a flying one about us and we've got bigger and better legends at the club now.

Predictable and it bores the hole off me

Barman Stanton
03-07-2019, 09:22 AM

We may have bigger legends now but for me there has been no better player play for us since I started watching in the 80s. Its pretty easy to see the fascination some have for him. We may never see a player of his quality play for us again.

H18S NX
03-07-2019, 09:33 AM
To me,Sauzee was up there with Stanton Wullie Hamilton,Joe Baker,outstanding.

Since452
03-07-2019, 09:43 AM
Sauzee hasn't shown any interest in Hibs since he left. I'll remember him as a great player but thats where it ends for me. We hadn't won a trophy since 1991 when he left us so was maybe elevated to legendary status too easily

Barman Stanton
03-07-2019, 09:59 AM
Sauzee hasn't shown any interest in Hibs since he left. I'll remember him as a great player but thats where it ends for me. We hadn't won a trophy since 1991 when he left us so was maybe elevated to legendary status too easily

I dont think thats the reason at all. Easy to be a legend at the club when he is the best player many of us had ever seen play for Hibs (and still is for me).

tonyrougier123
03-07-2019, 10:03 AM
Le god 😎.think kenny millar will be allover this one as pr relations gadgie.

Bring him back!!

WellingtonHibby
03-07-2019, 10:10 AM
Perpetuation of a myth that’s a bit tiresome. Petrie voted to keep Sauzee. MacPherson delivered the news and was chairman at the time.

And yes I still have my Ché Petrie T-shirt.

Some bright thing needs to make a run of those. Would buy.

tonyrougier123
03-07-2019, 10:32 AM

Someone who was so good should never have been anywhere near the scottish game.but was mr hibs.and in his 30's.

Dominated derbies.ran the length of tiny to celebrate with the hibs fans after scoring.

It was a time where winning a domestic trophy was very hard for any club outside old firm.so no accolades didny stop this guy getting legendary status.

Think ebt and Larsson years for old firm.

Tobias Funke
03-07-2019, 10:48 AM

Probably stroking one off to their posters of Rudi Skacel as we speak.