PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Rod Petrie

Northernhibee
02-07-2019, 10:17 AM
We may have had some difficult times on the pitch but the financial management of the club can't be argued with and an incredible result out of the other side to be debt free, with an investment, with sell on clauses for players like John McGinn, with a Scottish Cup in the cabinet and with Leeann Dempster having been brought in to fulfil the parts involved of being at the top of our club that he couldn't.

Sir Tom deserves the biggest thank you, but let's not get lost in things too. Today is a fantastic day for the club that sees us stronger and his part in our successes must be celebrated, as I'm sure we've all lambasted him for the failings as well.

02-07-2019, 10:18 AM
Agreed - Petrie has an overwhelmingly positive legacy at Hibs to be proud of.

Unseen work
02-07-2019, 10:19 AM
Often criticised but he has earned is a lot of money with how he deals with transfers.

Well done and good luck.

One Day Soon
Absolutely.

He can leave with his head held high having served the club honorably. Let's be classy in this transition.

stantonhibby
We may have had some difficult times on the pitch but the financial management of the club can't be argued with and an incredible result out of the other side to be debt free, with an investment, with sell on clauses for players like John McGinn, with a Scottish Cup in the cabinet and with Leeann Dempster having been brought in to fulfil the parts involved of being at the top of our club that he couldn't.

Sir Tom deserves the biggest thank you, but let's not get lost in things too. Today is a fantastic day for the club that sees us stronger and his part in our successes must be celebrated, as I'm sure we've all lambasted him for the failings as well.

Well said

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-07-2019, 10:23 AM
I wonder if if the open vacancy for scapegoat will be on the website?

southsider
02-07-2019, 10:25 AM
All the guys who predicted this last night, info was stop on. Will always remember the tears when talking about the Cup Final and how we got behind the team. Best of luck in whatever your future hold Rod. Always welcome at ER.

Lester B
02-07-2019, 10:27 AM
He's always been a figure who you couldn't be neutral about and I don't think any of us have been wholly uncritical of him.

Ah but...

After the 2016 Cup Final he was asked on camera the usual dumb question about did you ever think you'd see the day when we won the Scottish Cup. His reply: Yes. Superb

MagicSwirlingShip
02-07-2019, 10:28 AM
What a power of work he’s put in at the club over the years. Seen highs and lows but his commitment to the cause and having Hibs best long term interests at heart never faltered.

Thank you, viva Le Tache

Phil MaGlass
02-07-2019, 10:30 AM
Thanks Rod, all the best.

penihibs
02-07-2019, 10:30 AM
Thanks for everything Rod,never doubted your commitment for a moment.
Thanks for that great day 3 years ago.
GGTTH.

hibeerealist
02-07-2019, 10:31 AM
When it comes to finances nobody beats our own Rod Petrie, go on my son!!!

A very clever man.

Pretty Boy
02-07-2019, 10:32 AM
I criticised RP when I felt he deserved criticism and likewise praised him when I felt it was deserved.

He was never a black and white character but overall he played his part in ensuring we were a club who were an attractive proposition for fresh investment. On the pitch the successes more than counterbalance the failures. The SC win alone would have done that for me but I understand not everyone will feel the same.

Ultimately he carried out the job entrusted to him to the best of his ability and has left us in a better state than he found us. That's all anyone can ask.

inglisavhibs
02-07-2019, 10:37 AM
I criticised RP when I felt he deserved criticism and likewise praised him when I felt it was deserved.

He was never a black and white character but overall he played his part in ensuring we were a club who were an attractive proposition for fresh investment. On the pitch the successes more than counterbalance the failures. The SC win alone would have done that for me but I understand not everyone will feel the same.

Ultimately he carried out the job entrusted to him to the best of his ability and has left us in a better state than he found us. That's all anyone can ask.

He did more more than play his part, tremendous custodian of our finances. Will be missed greatly.

The Modfather
02-07-2019, 10:38 AM
I’m not a fan of Petrie and delighted he’s gone, but can’t disputes he did well building the infrastructure and negotiating some of the fees we’ve received for players in his time.

Golden Bear
02-07-2019, 10:51 AM
RP's efforts and dedication to Hibernian FC seems to have been fully appreciated by Sir Tom so that's good enough for me.

Long may The Tache flourish and best of luck for the future Rod.

:hibees

matty_f
02-07-2019, 10:51 AM
He was never afraid to make unpopular decisions in what he viewed were the best interests of the club and while it was never plain sailing from start to finish, Petrie's achievements at Hibs far outweigh his mistakes.

Thanks Rod, you and STF leave a club a world away from the one that STF bought.

NAE NOOKIE
02-07-2019, 10:54 AM
I always felt his biggest failing was being unable to see the correlation between a successful team on the park and the huge benefits it could have commercially. But there is no doubt that his commitment to running Hibs in a businesslike manner and giving his all to that aim was total and for that he is due a huge amount of credit … now that we are at the end he has far more in the credit column than the debit one and what true businessman could ask for more.

If we ever have a statue to Rod Petrie the plinth should only have one word written on it ... EXUBERANCE :greengrin

Thanks Rod :aok:

staunchhibby
02-07-2019, 10:56 AM
Thanks Rod for all your work over the years to get us into position we are in today.

Springbank
02-07-2019, 11:07 AM
Rod Petrie - someone I think has been much misunderstood by a lot of people.

My favourite story about Rod Petrie comes from the Scottish Cup bus parade, the day after we'd won it.
Now this was told to me second hand, so sincere apologies if any of the details are not quite right in my retelling, but it was along these lines:

At the reception in the City Chambers before the players & everyone boarded the Victory Parade bus, Rod asked to say a couple of words.
He explained - and no-one else had been aware of this until then - that he had been made aware of a tragedy (I think a young Hibs supporting father had passed away close to the Cup Final) and Rod had made a point of ensuring that the man's son would lead Hibs out as mascot alongside captain David Gray at the cup final.
David Gray was more shocked (and emotional) than anyone else at finding this out, and, of course, the following 92 minutes had been the best of the young mascot's life. At difficult times like that, the football is the ultimate release, and there was a lot of "unseen work" and humanity in Rod's gesture. You could go as far as to say it showed he really gets Hibs and what it means to us all, and what it meant to that family at that tragic time.
By all accounts, Rod, David Gray & plenty others in the room had a tear in the eye as the story was recounted.

Others might take a different view, but, for my tuppence worth, I would sum it up in two words: Hibs Class.

Here's to a good future for Rod, Sir Tom and, of course, the famous Edinburgh Hibees!

:flag:

davemcbain
02-07-2019, 11:14 AM
Rod Petrie: the off the pitch Tortolano.
Joe got pelters throughout his time at Hibs, but is always remembered fondly on reflection a few years later - I suspect Rod will be another that the supporters clubs will be lining up to get as a guest in a few years time.

MyJo
02-07-2019, 11:14 AM
Made some terrible decisions on the footballing side of things but cannot argue with the transformation of the club under his stewardship as STF’s rep.

Very much responsible for us surviving the troubled times of Scottish football and bringing us out the other side significantly better off as a club.

The only team outwith the old firm with a top quality >20k capacity stadium and fully owned training facility with minimal debt to show for it.

ElginHibbie
02-07-2019, 11:16 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHsjNgdXoAInMsX.jpg

Farewell you mustached prince of exuberance

AgentDaleCooper
02-07-2019, 11:19 AM
however frustrating he might have been at times, there is one thing you can't deny - he leaves hibs with all of his objectives very much accomplished, and a scottish cup to boot. well done RP, and thank you for the legacy you leave us with :thumbsup:

Bostonhibby
02-07-2019, 11:22 AM
Thing about Petrie for me was that I never once doubted we were financially safe in his hands, especially given where we'd come from when Farmer took over.

Farmer knew the man and at that vital time entrusted the safety of the club to him, he delivered that and leaves us a lot stronger than when he joined us, for that I'm grateful.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

.Sean.
02-07-2019, 11:24 AM
He was never afraid to make unpopular decisions in what he viewed were the best interests of the club and while it was never plain sailing from start to finish, Petrie's achievements at Hibs far outweigh his mistakes.

Thanks Rod, you and STF leave a club a world away from the one that STF bought.Great post Matty and saved me typing this as exactly my thoughts, I won't hear a bad word against him.

Thanks Rod. One of the good guys

DarlingtonHibee
02-07-2019, 11:26 AM
I’m not a fan of Petrie and delighted he’s gone, but can’t disputes he did well building the infrastructure and negotiating some of the fees we’ve received for players in his time.

Do you remember the state of the club when he came in?

Keyser Sauzee
02-07-2019, 11:28 AM
All the guys who predicted this last night, info was stop on. Will always remember the tears when talking about the Cup Final and how we got behind the team. Best of luck in whatever your future hold Rod. Always welcome at ER.

Can vaguely remember him choking up, what interview was that again?

Wembley67
02-07-2019, 11:28 AM
Petrie, the man folk loved to hate that didn't grasp that football was a business and wanted all the money poured onto the pitch.

Smartie
02-07-2019, 11:29 AM
If you're in his position at a football club for a couple of decades, you're going to get things wrong and you're going to piss people off. This would be worth pointing out to our new saviour on day one - if you think it is all going to be plain sailing, think again.

The good that Petrie has done far outweighs the bad, although I think it is disrespectful and patronising for us to simply gloss over the fact that some of us have given him dogs abuse over the years and rebelled quite strongly against his stewardship.

It's strangely emotional for me today as I haven't really known anything other than the Farmer era and Petrie has been a huge figure for so much of that. I didn't grow up in Edinburgh so only really got to go to games once I was old enough to travel through on the bus on my own (my mum and Dad had no interest in football) and that would have been about 1992. To fairly and properly assess the work of Farmer and Petrie you would have to contemplate where we were then and compare it to where we are now. If you choose to focus more on the bumps in the road than you do the overwhelming improvements we have made as a club, all without stiffing a single creditor along the way (hiya Rangers, Hearts, Dundee, Motherwell, Livingston, Gretna.......) then that says a whole lot more about you than it does about them.

We move forward with comical aspirations of where our new owner might take us. But it is worth remembering that we are being released by a couple of very steady pairs of hands indeed, hands who had absolutely nothing but our best interests at heart - and those best interests don't always involve caving in and giving us what we want.

sauzee=legend
02-07-2019, 11:30 AM
Thank you RP - appreciate all the work you’ve done to make the club what it is.
But £150,000 for LG tho.. 😂

jakedance
02-07-2019, 11:32 AM
I’ve never had much of a problem with him other than some of his managerial appointments. Had the club operating in not just a sensible sustainable way but in a more dignified fashion than those at the top of the statement leagues. His time is up, and that’s fine. Cheers and good luck.

Lago
02-07-2019, 11:32 AM

Agree.

lyonhibs
02-07-2019, 11:36 AM
Great post Matty and saved me typing this as exactly my thoughts, I won't hear a bad word against him.

Thanks Rod. One of the good guys

Quite. Scottish football, especially since that spiv Mitchell chucked away a perfectly good Sky deal, has been a place of choppy waters and sharks these last 15 years or so.

I'm glad we had someone who didn't treat his position and the responsibilities that came with it as a popularity contest. A proper gent as well, unless you came to the negotiating table with a "2 packets of crisps and some cones should seal the deal" attitude.

Glory Lurker
02-07-2019, 11:41 AM
Without whom, and of course STF, I shudder to think.

Numptie
02-07-2019, 11:43 AM
Rod disappointed many by not spending money we didn't have!! Lee was never coming for £150k yet he got pelters for not going large - with money we don't have

BILLYHIBS
02-07-2019, 11:46 AM
Ach he wisnae a bad auld spud !

Having someone tight with the purse strings is exactly what we needed at that time

We could not afford to go down the same road as Hearts and Rangers old co

When we won the Scottish Cup he was very emotional proud for his club and delighted for the fans

At the end of the day we are all Hibernian Supporters together

Thank you for your safe and reliable tenure Rod I am convinced you have left us in safe and capable hands

GGTTH

jacomo
02-07-2019, 11:48 AM
The biggest and best decision Rod made was to listen to Stand Up and Be Counted and reverse the move to Straiton.

Had that happened, we would now have a very different Hibernian FC.

He might not have been a football man who chased the dream, but Mr Accountant helped steer Hibs through some pretty rocky times.

Thanks.

Weegreenman
02-07-2019, 11:58 AM
Absolute gentleman, good luck to the tash. A big Hibee thank you for helping keep the ship afloat and finally sailing her into safe waters! :not worth

Paisley Hibby
02-07-2019, 12:07 PM

Hear hear!!

Sammy7nil
02-07-2019, 12:14 PM

Most probably true, thanks Rod and all the best for the future.

James70
02-07-2019, 12:18 PM
Thank you Rod, just thank you. That's all!

hibeg
02-07-2019, 12:19 PM
Echo everything said.

I would go as far as bringing him in as a consultant the next time a big outwards transfer is in the process. he would make sure we don't get stung.:greengrin

Didn't Steve Bruce say he had never seen so many clauses benefitting Hibs in the SJM contract :thumbsup:

The Modfather
02-07-2019, 12:22 PM
Echo everything said.

I would go as far as bringing him in as a consultant the next time a big outwards transfer is in the process. he would make sure we don't get stung.:greengrin

Didn't Steve Bruce say he had never seen so many clauses benefitting Hibs in the SJM contract :thumbsup:

Without wanting to turn this thread into a focus on the negatives of Petrie, why is it assumed that the McGinn deal was down to Petrie? Wouldn’t it be Dempster who would be as integral if not more?

Northernhibee
02-07-2019, 12:23 PM
Echo everything said.

:thumbsup:

He's the next manager after Heckingbottom leaves :greengrin

Stonewall
02-07-2019, 12:40 PM
Without wanting to turn this thread into a focus on the negatives of Petrie, why is it assumed that the McGinn deal was down to Petrie? Wouldn’t it be Dempster who would be as integral if not more?

I think you’re right and I think they’re both pretty hard arsed when it comes to doing deals. I also suspect the RP would be very much in the loop.

Would make a great non-executive director.

hfc rd
02-07-2019, 12:42 PM

Totally agree with this!

Joe6-2
02-07-2019, 12:46 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHsjNgdXoAInMsX.jpg

Farewell you mustached prince of exuberance

Heil Petrie

Is It On....
02-07-2019, 12:49 PM
That's a thread title I never thought I would see 😂

Joe6-2
02-07-2019, 12:49 PM

Soooooo true

Tyler Durden
02-07-2019, 12:50 PM
I can’t really separate Petrie’s financial acumen from his mismanagement of the club over a 5/6 year period.

The under performance from Yogi through to Butcher cost us a fortune. Poor crowds driven away and a lack of any real value in the player trading side. It was a shambles frankly which culminated in relegation.

Petrie’s real legacy was appointing Dempster and for that he does deserve credit. Not sure the positives far outweigh the negatives though.

Bobby's Cinema
02-07-2019, 12:54 PM

:hilarious:hilarious

Wakeyhibee
02-07-2019, 01:22 PM
There is no doubt he's left the club structurally in a much better place. He has had probably one of the toughest rides to go through, trying to balance football needs with the requirements to stadia and the Setanta debacle.

thank you RP and thank you for securing LD.

I'm gonna miss the "mouser", "tache", and "get it sorted..." jokes, most of all.

malcolm
02-07-2019, 01:33 PM

Fan-tache-tic ...drawn when he was more universally appreciated and appeared on a hibs.net (non digital) desktop calendar :wink:

The 90+2
02-07-2019, 01:34 PM
Thank you and god bless for Sir Tom and Rod Petrie for everything. Always welcome back at Easter Road.

happiehibbie
02-07-2019, 01:38 PM
Yes thank you Rod, Not easy trying to keep us all in check

staunchhibby
02-07-2019, 01:54 PM
After the match in Molde in the hotel where we were staying along with the team Rod came and shook our hands and thanked us for taking time to travel and support the team.

Deansy
02-07-2019, 01:57 PM
Surely we could keep RP on but solely for negotiating contracts of players we're selling ?

Phil MaGlass
02-07-2019, 01:58 PM
Just took a quick look at the closed Rod Petrie has resigned thread, couple of folk with red faces now I think :thumbsup:

The 90+2
02-07-2019, 02:00 PM
Just took a quick look at the closed Rod Petrie has resigned thread, couple of folk with red faces now I think :thumbsup:

It should be reopened with a couple of apologies made. People just sharing news with other hibbys.

heidtheba
02-07-2019, 02:09 PM
Stable if unexciting for much of his reign but I think that's what we needed. Petrie v Vlad-type-approach? I'll take Petrie's stable hand. I also don't think he was overly frugal. You can't blame him for not giving managers everything they wanted, would have set the wrong precedent for people selling to us and also I think he often did support the managers. I've no idea how it must have felt for him sitting watching a European match with Derek Riordan AND Anthony Stokes on the bench. Two huge (by Hibs standard) wages and signing-on fees and the manager doesn't even start them.
Anyway, thanks Rod for doing well by us, for bringing in Ms D and also for playing a part in bringing the cup to ER.

proud_and_green
02-07-2019, 02:09 PM
Thank you Rod, well done for what you have done for our club. You have done a great job at Hibs now all that requires to be done is to sort out Scottish football.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Since452
02-07-2019, 02:15 PM
Rod Petrie is Hibs through and through. He's made tough decisions when they had to be made for the good of the club and he's also make mistakes but he's human. I've said it before but his tears after the Scottish Cup win were as genuine as any of ours were that day. Thanks for all your hard work.

jacomo
02-07-2019, 02:18 PM
I can’t really separate Petrie’s financial acumen from his mismanagement of the club over a 5/6 year period.

The under performance from Yogi through to Butcher cost us a fortune. Poor crowds driven away and a lack of any real value in the player trading side. It was a shambles frankly which culminated in relegation.

Petrie’s real legacy was appointing Dempster and for that he does deserve credit. Not sure the positives far outweigh the negatives though.

Pretty bleak time, but Rod had the interests of the club at heart throughout.

Be nice, it’s a day to recognise his achievements.

nonshinyfinish
02-07-2019, 02:20 PM
Most importantly he's now free to write his tell-all memoir.

Iron Tache: A Hibernian Love Story

sarfoftheborder
02-07-2019, 02:30 PM
Thank you so very much for everything you have done for our club Rod. Best wishes for your new role at the SFA.

02-07-2019, 02:31 PM
Thanks Rod. Good luck at the SFA.

WeeRussell
02-07-2019, 02:32 PM

The under performance from Yogi through to Butcher cost us a fortune. Poor crowds driven away and a lack of any real value in the player trading side. It was a shambles frankly which culminated in the greatest day of all our Hibs lives.

:aok:

BroxburnHibee
02-07-2019, 02:34 PM
Responsible for 2 great threads which lie in the dotnet vault too.

The man was a genius :greengrin

h18eeynick
02-07-2019, 02:42 PM
Perhaps Celtic will speak to us again now - did someone mention a cheeky wee bid for Tierney ????? In all seriousness I met Rod many times when Clydesdale Bank sponsored the SPL and I got tickets regularly for the Directors Box - home and away. He always went out of his way to speak to me and actually climbed over several rows of seats at Tynecastle just before second half to shake me and my sons hand. A drab nil nil game when they should have got a last minute penalty at Hibs end. Very decent bloke and I think his walk about in the bar behind the Famous Five stand , during difficult times , showed he wasnt one to hide . I got a telling off from Sir Tom for wearimg a Hibs Proclaimers scarf once , just in jest , for robbing the club of scarf sales income. Best laugh though was sitting next to Rod and the Finance Director against Gretna when they were bringing on a sub , cant remember the name , but about 20 letters to his name. They said we need to buy him as shirt names at 25 pence a letter would earn a fortune ! Great memories and Rod leaves us with my gratitude

banchoryhibs
02-07-2019, 02:45 PM
Rod's period with our Club has certainly been eventful but looking back he was the very, very safe pair of hands that we needed. He's always been a reserved character but he is undoubtedly a real Hibbie and always will be. I know that in the background he's been exceptionally supportive to some of the Hibs Family. On occasions he may have been more open / dynamic but overall he's sound.

Thank you Rod - and all the best at the SFA!

madabouthibs
02-07-2019, 02:50 PM
Can't help but thank the tache, could easily have jumped ship when the going got tough, but he stuck it out with a strong backing from STF.

Just on a sidenote, will he now have to relinquish his role as SFA chairman, because he is no longer actively involved with a club, or am I having a moment??? 😀

The Leith Dutch
02-07-2019, 03:00 PM
Many summed it up perfectly on here.
We had some disagreements but both him and us loved the club.
His main failing was not realising that we needed someone like Dempster in to run the football side sooner.

But from where we were when STF and Rod took over to having a fantastic stadium, a training complex, a Scottish Cup and no debt?
Fantastic effort.

Scott Allan Key
02-07-2019, 03:26 PM

My favourite story about Rod Petrie comes from the Scottish Cup bus parade, the day after we'd won it.
Now this was told to me second hand, so sincere apologies if any of the details are not quite right in my retelling, but it was along these lines:

At the reception in the City Chambers before the players & everyone boarded the Victory Parade bus, Rod asked to say a couple of words.
He explained - and no-one else had been aware of this until then - that he had been made aware of a tragedy (I think a young Hibs supporting father had passed away close to the Cup Final) and Rod had made a point of ensuring that the man's son would lead Hibs out as mascot alongside captain David Gray at the cup final.
David Gray was more shocked (and emotional) than anyone else at finding this out, and, of course, the following 92 minutes had been the best of the young mascot's life. At difficult times like that, the football is the ultimate release, and there was a lot of "unseen work" and humanity in Rod's gesture. You could go as far as to say it showed he really gets Hibs and what it means to us all, and what it meant to that family at that tragic time.
By all accounts, Rod, David Gray & plenty others in the room had a tear in the eye as the story was recounted.

Others might take a different view, but, for my tuppence worth, I would sum it up in two words: Hibs Class.

Here's to a good future for Rod, Sir Tom and, of course, the famous Edinburgh Hibees!

:flag:That's just wonderful. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

hibeg
02-07-2019, 03:27 PM

I would think Leanne would have spoken to Rod somewhere along the line for his input and experience

The tache was very good at playing hardball with clubs trying to buy our assets on the cheap. :agree:

Scott Allan Key
02-07-2019, 03:36 PM
I was down on my luck health wise and Rod Petrie was kind enough to get me a free match day ticket. I felt I should repay it when I was better a while later and sent money in the post. I got a letter back from him not long after in which he told me he'd donated the money to Hibs Community foundation. For all his faults, I think not just in credit and debit of our club's accounts, but also in credit to his actions as a Hibee, he's well in surplus.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

HoboHarry
02-07-2019, 06:06 PM
If you are ever in Houston Sir Roderick of Tache, you are welcome to chap my door for some free wine/beer and BBQ......

Aldo
02-07-2019, 07:21 PM
I had a ‘wee teary’ moment earlier this afternoon. (Something got stuck in my eye honest) when the realism struck home that STF and RP would no longer be in charge of the club.

Having watchEd the ‘Time for Heroes DVD’ it was clear how much the Club meant to RP with his own ‘moment of silence/tear!

I will be forever grateful to the both of them and both will go down in Hibernian Folklore as ‘Legends’

Thanks for the ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AltheHibby
02-07-2019, 07:27 PM
now that we are at the end he has far more in the credit column than the debit one and what true businessman could ask for more.

As we accountants say, he's a debit to his profession. 😁

Joe6-2
02-07-2019, 07:31 PM
Never a Rod fan, but feel a twinge of sadness with his sudden departure!

Eckythetechy
02-07-2019, 07:31 PM
It's just plain and simple, Thank You Rod

weecounty hibby
02-07-2019, 07:34 PM

I was going to post that. I worked beside the boys grandfather at the time. The laddie was talking to Rod before a Hibs Alloa game during the season and he told him about his dad dying. Rod got in touch with them before the cup final and made sure he was David Grays mascot in the final leading the team out. A great gesture. He may not have been the most popular people ever at ER but he and STF are probably two of the most important people in the history of the club

Eyrie
02-07-2019, 08:10 PM
Petrie always tried his best for us and got it right with the finances, if not with some of his managerial appointments, so best wishes to him.

I look forward to seeing him again next May as he hands Gray the Scottish Cup.

One Day Soon
02-07-2019, 08:11 PM
Petrie always tried his best for us and got it right with the finances, if not with some of his managerial appointments, so best wishes to him.

I look forward to seeing him again next May as he hands Gray the Scottish Cup.

That would be beautiful.

Mibbes Aye
03-07-2019, 01:25 AM
Taches to taches, dust to dust.

Goodnight, sweet prince.

WestCoastHibby
03-07-2019, 02:56 AM
Exhuberance.......that is all

Peevemor
03-07-2019, 10:16 PM
Good wee piece here

https://t.co/qQOy5KKzif

ColintonHibs
03-07-2019, 10:58 PM
Petrie finally got TF! Lol

Thank you Rod! GGTTH

tomf
04-07-2019, 01:10 AM

Couldn't agree more. Both men deserve a huge thank you and this particular supporter will never forget that they saved the club and gave us one of the greatest days in our lives.

FilipinoHibs
04-07-2019, 01:15 AM

Thank you Mr. Petrie for your financial stewardship of the club. You and Mr. Farmer brought great success and we have had some wonderful players and moments over the last 28 years.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-07-2019, 05:53 AM
Often wonder with this use of Mr (as a sign of respect) translates into any other part of folks lives - do folks still refer to colleagues or bosses and Mister and Missus ? Where are these places and what are the like to work for? Do they have any millennials?
Genuine question. I’ve just not come across a place like this. To me this usage thing seems to be limited to certain football situations and perhaps the legal system...

Cropley10
04-07-2019, 10:47 PM
Hopefully Rod’s staunch allies and defenders on this board (you know who you are) will now transfer their allegiance to Ron.

His high point: Ron Gordon. Low Point: Colin Calderwood. Lest we forget.

marinello59
04-07-2019, 11:25 PM
Hopefully Rod’s staunch allies and defenders on this board (you know who you are) will now transfer their allegiance to Ron.

That’s a pretty nasty post. No need.

bigwheel
05-07-2019, 04:38 AM

Calderwood was like Pochettino compared to Terry Butcher ..but crack on [emoji106]

blackpoolhibs
05-07-2019, 06:22 AM
Iv'e never hid my dislike of him, and i wont do it now. Under his leadership we were relegated twice, and once more when i think he was on the board.

How does this happen under someone so good at their job?

We won the holy grail after he had to appoint someone else to do a job he clearly failed at a number of times, and she was the person who appointed Stubbs.

The infrastructure is great, and he has to be given great credit for that, yet if it had not been for LD and Stubbs, we'd have 7-8k every week rattling around in a ground that holds 20k

malcolm
05-07-2019, 08:47 AM

Really strange perspective and ‘Staunch’ :hilarious.

The high points on his watch were winning things and the low relegation. In the years to come Ron G may be seen as a high but at the moment (ignoring the likes of the flat earth ponzi believers) the jury is not even out yet and has hardly begun to hear the evidence. The opening address to the jury was very promising but just as there should be no quick verdict, nobody should be an immediately ‘staunch’ supporter :wink:

BoomtownHibees
05-07-2019, 09:05 AM
Iv'e never hid my dislike of him, and i wont do it now. Under his leadership we were relegated twice, and once more when i think he was on the board.

Are you saying we have been relegated 3 times since Rod joined?

Fair enough to criticise but at least get the facts right

Caversham Green
05-07-2019, 09:21 AM

Likewise, I hope those who 'staunchly' refused to give the man any credit for anything whatsoever (and they know who they are) won't transfer their pointless vitriol to Ron.

Sadly it looks like some already have.

Stevie Reid
05-07-2019, 09:35 AM
Would shake him by the hand and give heartfelt thanks, if given the opportunity. Was far from perfect, but it can't be argued that he didn't stand up and take all the flak that came his way, when many times it would have been much easier for him to just walk away.

I'm hugely grateful for the things that he has done overall. When he vacated his CEO role, he left us in very capable hands. Hopefully the same now happens with our new owner.

Barman Stanton
05-07-2019, 09:50 AM
Works both ways. If you are going to criticise Petrie for the relegation's etc then you also need to credit him for the 3 cups won during his time.

tamig
05-07-2019, 09:54 AM

Fair enough to criticise but at least get the facts right

Indeed. He must have been a young high flier back in 1980.

Peevemor
05-07-2019, 10:07 AM
Works both ways. If you are going to criticise Petrie for the relegation's etc then you also need to credit him for the 3 cups won during his time.

No, everyone has the right to do a bit of cherry picking when they want.

STF - mostly good but bad to a tiny band of bampots
RP - ranging from good to meh to devil incarnate
LD - mostly good

The credit/blame for specific happenings should be attributed on a sliding scale in accordance with the above, and depending what you had for breakfast.

Hibbyradge
05-07-2019, 10:10 AM

Wow!

What a moving story.

Thanks for sharing it.

Stevie Reid
05-07-2019, 10:17 AM

Thanks for sharing that, very moving story.

Barman Stanton
05-07-2019, 10:17 AM
No, everyone has the right to do a bit of cherry picking when they want.

STF - mostly good but bad to a tiny band of bampots
RP - ranging from good to meh to devil incarnate
LD - mostly good

The credit/blame for specific happenings should be attributed on a sliding scale in accordance with the above, and depending what you had for breakfast.

:faf:Its very true though. I see some are now trying their hardest to find issues with Gordon. Must suck to always see everything in such a negative light.

Hibbyradge
05-07-2019, 10:21 AM
Good wee piece here

https://t.co/qQOy5KKzif

That is a good article.

There's moisture in my eyes. It must be dusty in here.

scotia44
05-07-2019, 10:43 AM

Fair enough to criticise but at least get the facts right:top marks

We should also include the managers and players for their failings in those episodes they are asked only to do their job by winning football matches which is often overlooked as in preference to "no spending" "crap appointments"

Petrie IMO delivered every manager (we supporters) spoke about (Calderwood aside:wink:)
The Collins debacle could have been avoided but history has shown he wasn't much good anywhere else so maybe dodged a bullet with him

BSEJVT
05-07-2019, 11:13 AM

How does this happen under someone so good at their job?

We won the holy grail after he had to appoint someone else to do a job he clearly failed at a number of times, and she was the person who appointed Stubbs.

The infrastructure is great, and he has to be given great credit for that, yet if it had not been for LD and Stubbs, we'd have 7-8k every week rattling around in a ground that holds 20k

Stay Classy

I was once told if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing.

I had my issues with RP but its totally classless coming on a thread set up by some to thank to put the boot in.

At the end of the day I never had a doubt he did what he thought was best for us within the confines of his remit and STF's man.

Sometimes things work out sometimes they don't

blackpoolhibs
05-07-2019, 05:16 PM
I was out with my relegations, had it in my mind he was there for the early one. 2 relegations though are just awful under his stewardship for a club our size.

I wonder if he cried like i did when we went down, or does that only happen when we win?

We won the Scottish cup despite him not because of him, he'd failed that many times he had to get someone else in to do the job, and she managed it within a couple of years.

I'm glad he's gone, i thank him for building the infrastructure, but it was to the detriment of the team for way too long, and the awful teams that struggled year on year with the odd decent one thrown in in my opinion makes his tenure poor to average.

I'm excited about the future, cant say i've said that under the last owners for a while.

Since452
05-07-2019, 05:20 PM
I was out with my relegations, had it in my mind he was there for the early one. 2 relegations though are just awful under his stewardship for a club our size.

I wonder if he cried like i did when we went down, or does that only happen when we win?

We won the Scottish cup despite him not because of him, he'd failed that many times he had to get someone else in to do the job, and she managed it within a couple of years.

I'm glad he's gone, i thank him for building the infrastructure, but it was to the detriment of the team for way too long, and the awful teams that struggled year on year with the odd decent one thrown in in my opinion makes his tenure poor to average.

I'm excited about the future, cant say i've said that under the last owners for a while.

Not too unsusual tbh. Aberdeen finished bottom of the league and also survived the playoffs in the same timeframe

Caversham Green
05-07-2019, 06:29 PM
I wasn't going to contribute anything specific to this thread, but I've decided I will weigh in.

Rod Petrie was put in place to do a specific job - sort out the club's infrastructure so that it could compete with the other clubs of similar size. He completed that with the building of Eat Mains and the East Stand and, very soon after the latter was completed he stepped down and Fife Hyland and Scott Lindsay were appointed to move the club forward. That didn't work out (for reasons that were debatable to say the least) and when they left Rod stepped back into his former role. I believe he was reluctant to do this and I think the performance of the club suffered as a result. I also think that period had a serious effect on his health - one poster even thought it was funny to poke fun at his appearance during that time - he looked much better in the recent press conference than he ever did during those awful years.

He has more than achieved his original remit - we have a better stadium and training facilities than any of our immediate competitors and we are in a very good place going forward - Leeann Dempster deserves as much credit for that as Rod. He did fail quite badly in the last few years of his stewardship but the club is much healthier than it was before he and Sir Tom Farmer took control.

Both deserve our thanks despite the low points we've experienced along the way. I also wish Rod well in his new role at the head of Scottish football.

KDY Hibs
05-07-2019, 07:06 PM
Im surprised this thread is only 4 pages, whilst mistakes were clearly made along the way, i think that he deserves praise as to the clubs position at point of take over, other highlights obviously include his negotiating skills, especially when dealing with the ugly sisters! Good luck Rod!

gerry70
05-07-2019, 07:49 PM
I guess from the posts here most Hibs fans don’t care about Petrie’s role in the five way stitch up and keeping the govan titles intact. But anyone can see that’s why he got the sfa job. it’s time i forgot about the biggest corruption ever in Scottish sport and moved on.

marinello59
05-07-2019, 07:58 PM
I guess from the posts here most Hibs fans don’t care about Petrie’s role in the five way stitch up and keeping the govan titles intact. But anyone can see that’s why he got the sfa job. it’s time i forgot about the biggest corruption ever in Scottish sport and moved on.

I wonder why the biggest opposition to him getting the SFA job came from Sevco then? They really don’t like him.
It’s weird how some Hibs fans blame our club for Rangers actions.

Smartie
05-07-2019, 08:00 PM

None of us know what his role was in that whole episode, so it is all conjecture.

I have heard from a pretty good source that if we knew exactly what Rod was saying and doing behind closed doors that we would be very happy indeed with his actions on our behalf (and the huns would be livid).

Once the stitch-up had been agreed (a compromise between various parties with very different ideas as to how it should have panned out) he had to front up an agreement that he was not best pleased with.

gerry70
05-07-2019, 08:01 PM
Sevco fans hate everyone. Are you saying Petrie didn’t sign up to the five way agreement?

DarlingtonHibee
05-07-2019, 08:01 PM
I wasn't going to contribute anything specific to this thread, but I've decided I will weigh in.

Rod Petrie was put in place to do a specific job - sort out the club's infrastructure so that it could compete with the other clubs of similar size. He completed that with the building of Eat Mains and the East Stand and, very soon after the latter was completed he stepped down and Fife Hyland and Scott Lindsay were appointed to move the club forward. That didn't work out (for reasons that were debatable to say the least) and when they left Rod stepped back into his former role. I believe he was reluctant to do this and I think the performance of the club suffered as a result. I also think that period had a serious effect on his health - one poster even thought it was funny to poke fun at his appearance during that time - he looked much better in the recent press conference than he ever did during those awful years.

He has more than achieved his original remit - we have a better stadium and training facilities than any of our immediate competitors and we are in a very good place going forward - Leeann Dempster deserves as much credit for that as Rod. He did fail quite badly in the last few years of his stewardship but the club is much healthier than it was before he and Sir Tom Farmer took control.

Both deserve our thanks despite the low points we've experienced along the way. I also wish Rod well in his new role at the head of Scottish football.

This

Some poster's have no idea what he did for hibs.

Northernhibee
05-07-2019, 08:11 PM

Please feel free to start your own thread than feel forced to comment on a thread clearly designed to say thank you to Rod.

marinello59
05-07-2019, 08:18 PM
Sevco fans hate everyone. Are you saying Petrie didn’t sign up to the five way agreement?

You know something the rest of us don’t then? That’s great. Feel free to start another thread on this so you can share your inside knowledge.

Just Alf
05-07-2019, 10:53 PM
Often wonder with this use of Mr (as a sign of respect) translates into any other part of folks lives - do folks still refer to colleagues or bosses and Mister and Missus ? Where are these places and what are the like to work for? Do they have any millennials?
Genuine question. I’ve just not come across a place like this. To me this usage thing seems to be limited to certain football situations and perhaps the legal system...I work in property management and we have 'older' generation landlords that insist on being called Mr or Mrs, despite some of our team being significantly bigger property owners.. Weirdly, the other group that want to be called Mr or Mrs are tenants in the cheapest rental properties.

Go figure...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

theonlywayisup
06-07-2019, 11:23 AM
Please feel free to start your own thread than feel forced to comment on a thread clearly designed to say thank you to Rod.

Agree 100%.

I've met Rod Petrie hundreds of times Behind The Goals. He always came across a genuine nice guy willing to talk about Hibs to anyone who was willing to engage in a conversation with him.

Even at times when the product on the pitch was poor to terrible, he did not hide. Yet in all those dire times, I never spotted a disgruntled or frustrated Hibs fan take him on. I find it odd that many come onto Hibs.net to moan about him, yet won't say a word to the man himself when they are presented with the opportunity.

Can I add my thanks to Rod Petrie?

The Modfather
06-07-2019, 01:56 PM
Agree 100%.

I've met Rod Petrie hundreds of times Behind The Goals. He always came across a genuine nice guy willing to talk about Hibs to anyone who was willing to engage in a conversation with him.

Even at times when the product on the pitch was poor to terrible, he did not hide. Yet in all those dire times, I never spotted a disgruntled or frustrated Hibs fan take him on. I find it odd that many come onto Hibs.net to moan about him, yet won't say a word to the man himself when they are presented with the opportunity.

Can I add my thanks to Rod Petrie?

I’ve never been in Behind The Goals before, but sure I remember his visibility there being discussed before and someone saying he made the rounds speaking to the same people every week.

I’ve never met him but by all accounts he seems a nice man, I just don’t think he’s very good at running a successful football club and very disappointed he is now the man steering the sinking ship that is the SFA.

weecounty hibby
06-07-2019, 02:14 PM
Thanks for all your hard work Rod. I look forward to you handing the Scottish cup to Sir David Gray at the end of the season

Forza Fred
07-07-2019, 11:00 PM

:top marks

Spike Mandela
08-07-2019, 06:05 AM
A solid and dependable hand on Hibs finances and we are undoubtedly in a better place than when he took charge. For this thanks.

Up to his neck in the SFA handling/mishandling of the Rangers EBT scandal and the subsequent sweeping of it under the carpet. Rod knows where the bodies are buried and that, along with his unseemly haste to ‘move on’ from the independent Inquiry into the SFA’s handling of the EBT scandal is probably the reason he is moving into president role unopposed. For this not so much.

Since452
08-07-2019, 06:55 AM
A solid and dependable hand on Hibs finances and we are undoubtedly in a better place than when he took charge. For this thanks.

Up to his neck in the SFA handling/mishandling of the Rangers EBT scandal and the subsequent sweeping of it under the carpet. Rod knows where the bodies are buried and that, along with his unseemly haste to ‘move on’ from the independent Inquiry into the SFA’s handling of the EBT scandal is probably the reason he is moving into president role unopposed. For this not so much.

Must be a bit of truth in that to be honest