PDA

View Full Version : Man united in for SJM

Pages : [1] 2

Zazu62
29-06-2019, 09:47 PM
£50 million? According to the sun

Zazu62
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4427051/man-utd-john-mcginn-50m-aston-villa-hibs?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&sfns=mo#Echobox=1561843928

H18 SFR
Please let this be true!

bringbackbenny
29-06-2019, 09:48 PM
For the benefit of those who won't click to the Sun....

MANCHESTER UNITED are set to launch a sensational bid for John McGinn that would smash the transfer record for a Scot.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants the midfielder to add the energy he says his side are missing.

But Villa claim it’ll take a monster £50MILLION fee to prise him away from the Midlands.

United have been making background checks on McGinn in the past few days ahead of submitting an opening offer.

The 24-year-old has made a dramatic impact at Villa since then joining for a bargain £2.75m from Hibs a year ago.

If Solskjaer can strike a deal, any potential fee would be sure to eclipse the previous record deal for a Scot, Oli Burke’s £15m move to RB Leipzig.

McGinn with Man Utd starlet Scott McTominay
McGinn with Man Utd starlet Scott McTominayCredit: Kenny Ramsay - The Sun Glasgow
And Hibernian would also be quids in thanks to a sell-on clause included in last year’s deal.

Villa rate McGinn so highly they are already plotting to fend off United’s interest by offering a new long-term contract.

Players and fans voted him their Player of the Year — ahead of Holte End hero Jack Grealish — before the Scotland international scored in the play-off final win over Derby County that clinched the club’s return to the Premier League.

United, though, are clearly in the mood to spend big after shelling out a staggering £50m to secure Aaron Wan-Bissaka away from Crystal Palace.

Col2
29-06-2019, 09:51 PM
15-20% sell on clause seems to be the chat.

So £7.5m - £10m then.

we are hibs
29-06-2019, 09:52 PM
15-20% sell on clause seems to be the chat.

So £7.5m - £10m then.

Petrie will be buzzing out his tache right now with all these figures being banded about

Callum_62
29-06-2019, 09:52 PM
#handitin [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Diclonius
29-06-2019, 09:53 PM
That's it. We've won the league with that money.

:wink:

danhibees1875
29-06-2019, 09:54 PM
That's it. We've won the league with that money.

:wink:

St mirren second. :greengrin

Since90+2
29-06-2019, 09:54 PM
Almost absolutely certain to be mid summer transfer rumour pish but good fun all the same. McGinn is an outstanding player who is not worth £50 million even in the current climate , half that possibly.

Diclonius
29-06-2019, 09:55 PM
So...

What's the % of the sell-on clause?

BILLYHIBS
Had to do a quick double check on today’s date

Still 29/6/19 not first of April

Please let this be true God!

allmodcons
I know that the money down south is mental but no way will McGinn sell for £50M.

SMAXXA
29-06-2019, 09:56 PM
I’m crying

Renfrew_Hibby
29-06-2019, 09:57 PM
For the benefit of those who won't click to the Sun....

MANCHESTER UNITED are set to launch a sensational bid for John McGinn that would smash the transfer record for a Scot.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants the midfielder to add the energy he says his side are missing.

But Villa claim it’ll take a monster £50MILLION fee to prise him away from the Midlands.

United have been making background checks on McGinn in the past few days ahead of submitting an opening offer.

The 24-year-old has made a dramatic impact at Villa since then joining for a bargain £2.75m from Hibs a year ago.

If Solskjaer can strike a deal, any potential fee would be sure to eclipse the previous record deal for a Scot, Oli Burke’s £15m move to RB Leipzig.

McGinn with Man Utd starlet Scott McTominay
McGinn with Man Utd starlet Scott McTominayCredit: Kenny Ramsay - The Sun Glasgow
And Hibernian would also be quids in thanks to a sell-on clause included in last year’s deal.

Villa rate McGinn so highly they are already plotting to fend off United’s interest by offering a new long-term contract.

Players and fans voted him their Player of the Year — ahead of Holte End hero Jack Grealish — before the Scotland international scored in the play-off final win over Derby County that clinched the club’s return to the Premier League.

United, though, are clearly in the mood to spend big after shelling out a staggering £50m to secure Aaron Wan-Bissaka away from Crystal Palace.

Wan-Bissaka is a hell of a player with plenty of Premiership experience behind him and will be a mainstay of the England team for years to come. £50M for him is the going rate, Mcginn currently would be in the £10M bracket. A full season of progress with Villa in the Prem would see him propelled into the figures being banded about.

Ken
I can guarantee Villa wouldn’t sell for under £30m, so somewhere in the middle might be true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pedantic_Hibee
If he goes for £50m I will probably burst clean through the fabric of my trousers. And I won’t even get them repaired.

Stuart93
29-06-2019, 09:58 PM
I’m crying

With laughter, never read so much horse **** especially when you see who wrote the article. The same guy who had him as 100% signing for Celtic

givescotlandfreedom
29-06-2019, 10:00 PM
Do we get money for future sales?

we are hibs
29-06-2019, 10:00 PM
Man Utd are currently a laughing stock amongst clubs in the transfer market. They know they are desperate and are usuing that to their advantage. For example no way is wan-bikasa worth 50 million but thats what theyve paid. and woodword will spend ridiculous amounts because of the pressure that's building on him.

The 90+2
29-06-2019, 10:02 PM
American investment you say?

The 90+2
29-06-2019, 10:02 PM

50%

davhibby
29-06-2019, 10:04 PM
I can guarantee Villa wouldn’t sell for under £30m, so somewhere in the middle might be true

Yep, the market down south is dicated by the tv money on offer. If a villa or a palace etc are going to lose one of their best players they want big money so they can go get a top player. The money you make just by staying the premier league justifies them demanding big fees

WhileTheChief..
29-06-2019, 10:05 PM
£50m is about right.

£10m for an established international midfielder in the EPL? Aye right then.

Tremendous news. Hopefully starts a bidding war.

Cod Boy
29-06-2019, 10:06 PM
People seriously can’t be believing this

Ozyhibby
29-06-2019, 10:08 PM
I think it’s a fair price in that market. McGinn is good enough to play for one of the top 6 teams in that league if you go to one of them then that price is pretty common.

Stuart93
29-06-2019, 10:08 PM
People seriously can’t be believing this

This

I don’t think he’s at that level quite yet

I’d be amazed if there was anything in this but stranger things have happened

Na they’ve not really

Garymcl
29-06-2019, 10:09 PM
Does anybody know how much cash we got from villa re the clause in super John and the villa promotion thing it’s went a bit quiet on that subject just interested cheers Ggtth

Stuart93
29-06-2019, 10:10 PM
American investment you say?

We’ve already had some of that 😉

calumhibee1
29-06-2019, 10:12 PM
Wan-Bissaka is a hell of a player with plenty of Premiership experience behind him and will be a mainstay of the England team for years to come. £50M for him is the going rate, Mcginn currently would be in the £10M bracket. A full season of progress with Villa in the Prem would see him propelled into the figures being banded about.

John McGinn is a hell of a player, full international, won numerous trophies and was the main reason Villa have came back up. He is also the heartbeat of a team in centre midfield, centre midfielders always go for much, much more than full backs.

I can’t see it happening, or at least not for the full £50m. But if Man Utd wanted him then I have no doubt in my mind Villa would be easy looking for north of £30m, possibly even north of £40m. And when you see how good a player SJM is and how professional and hard working he is they would be more than entitled to ask for that imo.

HoboHarry
29-06-2019, 10:14 PM
If he goes for £50m I will probably burst clean through the fabric of my trousers. And I won’t even get them repaired.
I won't, mine will already be down at my knees.......

stoneyburn hibs
29-06-2019, 10:16 PM
Trying to get him on the cheap.

Hermit Crab
29-06-2019, 10:17 PM
So this is the major investment everyone has been talking about? :greengrin :hmmm:

Callum_62
29-06-2019, 10:18 PM
This

I don’t think he’s at that level quite yet

I’d be amazed if there was anything in this but stranger things have happened

Na they’ve not reallyAgree at £50 million but article is saying thats what villa would want, not what they might end up with

How much did man u just spend on that you Swansea winger?

Mcginn has been widely hailed as one. if not the most influential player in the efl last year-take just as much money for Villa to part with him as they would for Grealish

Hibs4185
29-06-2019, 10:20 PM
Grealish was being quoted at about £40 million last season when he was linked with Spurs. SJM has just won the players and fans POTY over Grealish so maybe £40-£50 million is realistic. If it was a young English player like Grealish then those numbers would be the norm!

Did SJM play against Molde? If so OGS will have first hand knowledge of him so there maybe is substance in the story!!

calumhibee1
29-06-2019, 10:20 PM
I think it’s a fair price in that market. McGinn is good enough to play for one of the top 6 teams in that league if you go to one of them then that price is pretty common.

Exactly. The top 6 teams in England regularly sign players for they amounts and more who will be far less effective than SJM would be for Man Utd.

Spurs spent £30m on Sissoko 3 years ago. That’s probably more like 40-50m nowadays and SJM is streets ahead of him. There’s probably plenty other examples aswell, such as Fred to Man Utd for £50m or so.

tonyrougier123
29-06-2019, 10:24 PM
The thing is even if this story is nonsense,john mcginn is exactly what manchester united need in their side.

They have far too many players playing when in the mood outstanding,but not delivering all the time.SJM would show alot of these jesters up.

Pedantic_Hibee
29-06-2019, 10:26 PM
Never mind the laddie’s ability, it’s what he brings to a team and how that inspires the rest to up their game that makes him stand out. He sets the tone.

calumhibee1
29-06-2019, 10:28 PM
Never mind the laddie’s ability, it’s what he brings to a team and how that inspires the rest to up their game that makes him stand out. He sets the tone.

Yup. If he goes there he’ll end up one of the first names on the team sheet. I’ve no doubt of that.

29-06-2019, 10:29 PM
Grealish was being quoted at about £40 million last season when he was linked with Spurs. SJM has just won the players and fans POTY over Grealish so maybe £40-£50 million is realistic. If it was a young English player like Grealish then those numbers would be the norm!

Did SJM play against Molde? If so OGS will have first hand knowledge of him so there maybe is substance in the story!!

No he didn't play against Molde but he did play against Asteras so OGS will have seen him when scouting Hibs before the Molde games.

Michael
29-06-2019, 10:31 PM
McGinn > Pogba

Bargain at £50m

HoboHarry
29-06-2019, 10:36 PM
Exactly. The top 6 teams in England regularly sign players for they amounts and more who will be far less effective than SJM would be for Man Utd.

Spurs spent £30m on Sissoko 3 years ago. That’s probably more like 40-50m nowadays and SJM is streets ahead of him. There’s probably plenty other examples aswell, such as Fred to Man Utd for £50m or so.
They signed the young English Crystal Palace full back Aaron Wan-Bissaka yesterday for 50M......

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48784655

lord bunberry
29-06-2019, 10:44 PM
Villa should hold out for £60m. SJM is a natural born winner, he’s won and been successful at every club he’s played for. His success is almost unprecedented in a player of his age that’s come from where he has. Mind you he wouldn’t get in the Celtic team last season and they’re going to get him for nothing in January apparently :rolleyes:

kevinc
29-06-2019, 10:49 PM
They signed the young English Crystal Palace full back Aaron Wan-Bissaka yesterday for 50M......

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48784655

They also paid £15m for Daniel James from Swansea, he has managed around 10 games a season for Swansea(plus 4 full Wales caps), suspect JMcG would attract a significantly bigger bid.

DTS
29-06-2019, 10:52 PM

I do agree that AWB is a very good prospect however I have to disagree with two points, he doesn’t have “plenty” he has one seasons experience and he won’t be a main stay in the England team as he is still and probably will remain miles behind Trent Alexander Arnold be surprised if AWB gets more than 25 England caps due to that reason

Sir David Gray
29-06-2019, 10:57 PM

I have my doubts if he'll go for £50 million but McGinn would go for a lot more than £10 million. I'd be surprised if he went for anything less £25 million.

MWHIBBIES
29-06-2019, 10:58 PM
Folk think Man United are about to pay 50 million for a guy without a single top level appearance?

Maybe in 12 months after a good season, definitely not now :faf:

mentalhibee
29-06-2019, 10:59 PM
Hope this happens, would be great for McGinn and Hibs!

Unseen work
29-06-2019, 11:02 PM
This sort of rumour is just unfair, it makes us get totally carried away thinking we will get 5+ million coming in and will be amazing :greengrin

Could see Ojo, McGeouch, Omeonga, McNulty and whoever else he wants come in.

As much as I love McGinn, he’s not good enough for Man United and not worth 50 million.

hfc rd
29-06-2019, 11:05 PM
Click bait article.

No chance this is going to happen. McGinn will be a Villa player this season.

HoboHarry
29-06-2019, 11:06 PM
This sort of rumour is just unfair, it makes us get totally carried away thinking we will get 5+ million coming in and will be amazing :greengrin

As much as I love McGinn, he’s not good enough for Man United and not worth 50 million.
He is worth whatever the highest bidder pays for him. If Man Utd offer 50M then that's what he is worth. Economics 101......

BILLYHIBS
29-06-2019, 11:08 PM
Fair play to OGS he looked like being one of the first EPL managerial casualties of the new season but he is rebuilding Man Utd in his image of a football team and how it should be played and will go down fighting regardless of whether or not he gets SJM and how much it costs

Unseen work
29-06-2019, 11:08 PM
He is worth whatever the highest bidder pays for him. If Man Utd offer 50M then that's what he is worth. Economics 101......

I understand that. He’s not worth 50 million because no one will bid that for him

HoboHarry
29-06-2019, 11:16 PM
I understand that. He’s not worth 50 million because no one will bid that for him
Fair enough, I misunderstood your comment. I thought you were expressing a personal opinion that he wasn't worth that. Time will tell what he goes for.....

Vini1875
29-06-2019, 11:17 PM

Only if Villa add some type of sell on percentage. If they get 10%, then get 15% (if that is the figure) of Villa's 10% and then St. Mirren would get 30% of our 15%.

Unseen work
29-06-2019, 11:26 PM
Fair enough, I misunderstood your comment. I thought you were expressing a personal opinion that he wasn't worth that. Time will tell what he goes for.....

Would be amazing if he did, I just can’t see them paying that for a player that is 25 this year after one good season in the championship.

On the other hand the may look at guys like Van Dijk and Robertson and realise how well they’ve made the step up and fancy a punt.

Man Utd could certainly do with the energy, pride and will to win that he would bring to the team, I just think he would struggle technically.

NAE NOOKIE
29-06-2019, 11:32 PM
Chances are this is hokum and even if it isn't I highly doubt Man Utd would offer anything like 50 million. The way their last few years have gone at this point Man Utd fans are going to be disappointed with anything that isn't a marquee signing and love him though I do SJM wont fall into that category for them, I'm willing to bet their latest signings haven't exactly got them all wetting their pants, though I appreciate the lad from Crystal Palace is very highly thought of and has performed well in the EPL.

This is a bit like the Hibs have been bought thread …. even though its almost certainly just paper talk its good fun to imagine what we could do with 5 million quid :greengrin

DetroitHibs
29-06-2019, 11:35 PM
All those saying he's not worth £50 million, if Grealish moved for that, nobody would bat an eyelid. SJM is on par or better.

madabouthibs
29-06-2019, 11:42 PM
Would be amazing if he did, I just can’t see them paying that for a player that is 25 this year after one good season in the championship.

On the other hand the may look at guys like Van Dijk and Robertson and realise how well they’ve made the step up and fancy a punt.

Man Utd could certainly do with the energy, pride and will to win that he would bring to the team, I just think he would struggle technically.
Struggle technically?
Are you having a laugh?
Man Utd have no energy pride and will at the moment, the technically astute SJM would be a huge bonus!!!

Lewiehas2
29-06-2019, 11:47 PM

Not going to enter the debate about what people are worth because today's transfer market is borderline ridiculous, but SJM is good enough for any teams midfield outside City's IMO, including the European Champions. Possibly slightly biased, but he'd at least be a rotational option for Liverpool, making him a great option for those below

Hibbyradge
29-06-2019, 11:47 PM
I'm sure that the story is bollocks, but he's exactly the type of player Man U need.

Drive, engine, commitment, passion, honesty.

He's exactly the type of player Hibs need! :boo hoo:

NC1875
29-06-2019, 11:48 PM
But SJM would have went to Celtic to sit on the bench no ?
Hopefully all young Scottish talent look at him as a role model.

Since90+2
29-06-2019, 11:50 PM
Struggle technically?
Are you having a laugh?
Man Utd have no energy pride and will at the moment, the technically astute SJM would be a huge bonus!!!

SJM is a fantastic player and a major reason why our club is back where we are now . Absolute legend on par with anyone of the last 30 years.

Having said that I'd tend to agree that technically he may struggle at the very top level. I would argue that Scott Allan is a better technical football player.

NAE NOOKIE
29-06-2019, 11:50 PM
Struggle technically?
Are you having a laugh?

It all depends what they are looking for …. If its a guy with a never say die attitude who will drag his team back into games by sheer force of will then SJM is their man. Its pretty well accepted that Man Utd have been accused of lacking guts and drive, especially in midfield, for some time now and perhaps at this moment in time finding a player to fill that role is more important to them than one who will stroll about the park and go missing when the going gets tough.

AgentDaleCooper
29-06-2019, 11:53 PM
Tbh i hope he stays at villa for a year. I honestly think he'll go for £70 million then.

Hibernian32
29-06-2019, 11:57 PM
Get yer wallet out Jurgen

HoboHarry
29-06-2019, 11:59 PM
Get yer wallet out Jurgen
:agree: Would love to see him at Liverpool instead of Man U.......

Unseen work
29-06-2019, 11:59 PM
Struggle technically?
Are you having a laugh?

Nope, McGinn is a very good player and great to have in your team but one thing he is not as good at others at, especially the top 5 in England imo would be his technique.

Hes at his best when the games are 100mph and he can skip past or out muscle folk. A couple of times, mainly for Scotland against better teams his poor touch or pass has lead to the other team winning possession and at that level you get punished.

In the EPL teams sit in against Man Utd, he would have to improve his passing and touch to break through the defences.

Its not all about technique and he wouldn’t be in the Man Utd team for that though.

BILLYHIBS
30-06-2019, 12:06 AM
Sitting in the West watching HIBS after our European exit last season I thought to myself things seem a bit flat what are we missing ?

SJM

OK he would use his big behind to shield the ball and fend off defenders but he would put his head down the arms and legs would start pumping he would take the pressure off the defence smashing through the opposition midfield dragging us up the park with a lung bursting run in no time at all he would be surrounded by hacking desperate defenders determined to win the ball back he would fall on the ball free kick to HIBS outside the opposition box

That is how HIBS and Villa fans remember him and that is why he is worth 50m to a struggling Man Utd probably 70m next year

neil7908
30-06-2019, 12:26 AM
Jesus, I know it's called the silly season but this is just nonsense.

He's an excellent player and the English market is crazy but there is no chance in a million year's SJM is going for that kind of money (not yet at least!).

SteveHFC
30-06-2019, 01:24 AM
Let’s use the money we’ll get and bring Leigh back.

tonyrougier123
30-06-2019, 01:52 AM
Not going to enter the debate about what people are worth because today's transfer market is borderline ridiculous, but SJM is good enough for any teams midfield outside City's IMO, including the European Champions. Possibly slightly biased, but he'd at least be a rotational option for Liverpool, making him a great option for those below
Spot on 👍. I think it would be quite incredible after the recognition that mcginn has had if hes not been scouted by the bigger teams.and villa are huge themselves.

Austinho
30-06-2019, 01:54 AM
As mentioned earlier, Solsjaer would have been aware of him prior to our Europa game against Molde, but he’s also playing and training in the same Scotland team as McTominay. So it’s likely United are at least keeping tabs on him. Not sure about the 50 million mind you.

NC1875
30-06-2019, 02:12 AM
Mcginn could be the Roy Keane if that team for years to come. £50m really is nothing to Man Utd. Did Barkley not go for £50m ?

Greencore
30-06-2019, 02:23 AM
All I have to say is.....

https://youtu.be/HMuYfScGpbE
🤑💵💰💸💷💷💷

Bishop Hibee
30-06-2019, 02:24 AM
After a fabulous night out culminating in a bevvy of beauties ending up back at my flat, unfortunately my mates three daughters with him over seeing things, this is the cherry on the cake. Hail the Petrie add on clause!

Green_one
30-06-2019, 02:31 AM
Nope, McGinn is a very good player and great to have in your team but one thing he is not as good at others at, especially the top 5 in England imo would be his technique.

Hes at his best when the games are 100mph and he can skip past or out muscle folk. A couple of times, mainly for Scotland against better teams his poor touch or pass has lead to the other team winning possession and at that level you get punished.
In the EPL teams sit in against Man Utd, he would have to improve his passing and touch to break through the defences.

I agree. If this happens then it’s a disaster in the making for McGinn, United and their manager. If McGinn was that level he would have dominated Hibs games, scoring and setting up loads of goals . He did not. His performances for Scotland have also not supported any special assessment. I love the guy, we sold him cheaply and I think he will do ok in the EPL but this must be down to close season rumour madness. Certainly the 50 million is a total invention, unfortunately I would love it to be true for Hibs sake

tonyrougier123
30-06-2019, 03:04 AM
All I have to say is.....

https://youtu.be/HMuYfScGpbE
🤑💵💰💸💷💷💷
😂😂👍👍

Pretty Boy
30-06-2019, 04:06 AM
Seems a bit of a Conservative valuation to me. Zidane sold for a similar figure 18 years ago and everyone knows McGinn is better so I hope Villa tell United it's £100M or no deal.

I reckon he is one of a number of players Man Utd will have considered but I'm not sure how willing they will be to deal at that price. I love McGinn as a player but he's totally unproven at that level and hasn't even really excelled and cemented his place in a Scotland shirt at international level yet. Another successful year at Villa in the EPL and I'd be more inclined to believe a move like this could happen.

J-C
30-06-2019, 04:49 AM
His drive and commitment are exactly what Man U are missing.

jax67
30-06-2019, 04:55 AM
But SJM would have went to Celtic to sit on the bench no ?
Hopefully all young Scottish talent look at him as a role model.

But SJM is a myth according to Celtic fans.🤔

jax67
30-06-2019, 04:58 AM

I think your right, that role at Man U could be made for SJM.
He could be tailor made for Man U. That laddie is only going to get better and better.

BoomtownHibees
30-06-2019, 05:09 AM
I agree. If this happens then it’s a disaster in the making for McGinn, United and their manager. If McGinn was that level he would have dominated Hibs games, scoring and setting up loads of goals . He did not. His performances for Scotland have also not supported any special assessment. I love the guy, we sold him cheaply and I think he will do ok in the EPL but this must be down to close season rumour madness. Certainly the 50 million is a total invention, unfortunately I would love it to be true for Hibs sake

Wait, you’re saying John McGinn didn’t dominate games for Hibs? I take it you never managed to make it to any of the games when he was here?

bingo70
30-06-2019, 05:48 AM

And enthusiasm.

Imo enthusiasm is infectious and exactly what United need just now.

I personally think there’s similarities with him and Robertson in terms of personality, I’m not saying he’s good enough in terms of technical ability but a good attitude goes along way in a team.

Just Jimmy
30-06-2019, 05:58 AM
I watched utd every week at home last season. I said early one they would benefit from mcginn and that he's miles better than mctominey for example and improving all the time.

I got shouted down on here but I stand by it. however, utds strategy this summer (strategy being a lose term as Woodward couldn't tell his arse from his elbow) is to buy young and buy British to build a core. James for 15 mill and AWB for 50 mill. Mcginn would fit that. I cannot see them paying 50 mill however. I could see villa asking for it. it may be the choice between selling Mcginn or Grelish and they might want to keep the local boy first.

that said, I don't even believe the date on the sun. and it's likely just pick a name of an up and common young brit and go with it. they did enquire about Madison at Leicester so maybe this is a cover or that's been knocked back totally.
Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

bingo70
30-06-2019, 06:02 AM
I watched utd every week at home last season. I said early one they would benefit from mcginn and that he's miles better than mctominey for example and improving all the time.

I got shouted down on here but I stand by it. however, utds strategy this summer (strategy being a lose term as Woodward couldn't tell his arse from his elbow) is to buy young and buy British to build a core. James for 15 mill and AWB for 50 mill. Mcginn would fit that. I cannot see them paying 50 mill however. I could see villa asking for it. it may be the choice between selling Mcginn or Grelish and they might want to keep the local boy first.

that said, I don't even believe the date on the sun. and it's likely just pick a name of an up and common young brit and go with it. they did enquire about Madison at Leicester so maybe this is a cover or that's been knocked back totally.

If Villa don’t want to lose him then that’s just the going rate for a player down south now. What players are actually worth is no longer what drives transfer fees now.

Forza Fred
30-06-2019, 06:07 AM
His agent has obviously had a word in the Sun reporter’s ear.

Pure coincidence that SJM is in the middle of contract upgrade discussions with Villa.

bingo70
30-06-2019, 06:10 AM
His agent has obviously had a word in the Sun reporter’s ear.

Pure coincidence that SJM is in the middle of contract upgrade discussions with Villa.

I think that’s a bit of a myth.

When he’s under contract, Villa will know fine well if there’s genuine interest from Man United, the scenario you’ve describe is only really relevant if he was approaching the end of his contract.

Onion
30-06-2019, 06:22 AM
£50m is a made up fig to get ratings, but the PR does SJM & Hibs no harm at all. The very least it raises his profile with other clubs who might want to gamble on SJM being a real star in 2 or 3 yrs time, when he’ll be out of their price range. Money down south is like monopoly notes, so you just never know.

And this kind of article is another embarrassing slap in the puss with a wet fish to Celtic 👍

Austinho
30-06-2019, 06:31 AM
The Daily Mail have also gone with the 50m story, not just the Sun.

jax67
30-06-2019, 06:31 AM
£50m is a made up fig to get ratings, but the PR does SJM & Hibs no harm at all. The very least it raises his profile with other clubs who might want to gamble on SJM being a real star in 2 or 3 yrs time, when he’ll be out of their price range. Money down south is like monopoly notes, so you just never know.

And this kind of article is another embarrassing slap in the puss with a wet fish to Celtic 👍

Also raises the profile of our club, as one that develops young players. Any young players would find us an attractive place to come, whether on a contract or for a loan spell. Bigger clubs will see us as a good place to send players on loan.

Oscar T Grouch
30-06-2019, 06:32 AM
SJM won’t be leaving Villa this season. He may be away at the end of the coming season after he shows himself to be a standout in that league too. SJM is destined for the very top. He has the talent, drive and the passion for the game, everything else can be trained into him.

mjhibby
30-06-2019, 06:34 AM
I think that’s a bit of a myth.

When he’s under contract, Villa will know fine well if there’s genuine interest from Man United, the scenario you’ve describe is only really relevant if he was approaching the end of his contract.

I don't think what slm is getting paid will matter a jot if man u actually bid for him. Unless villa give him something like 80 grand a week,they won't be able to match United's wage. Whether villa will want to sell is another matter. Or whether sjm would want to go. I think in a few years time he will be ready for that but does he feel he can make the step up to possibly the most analysed club in the world. I dont think sjm will take any notice of this story but obviously if a genuine bid was forthcoming then he will have a choice to make. There are so many stories going around and very few come to fruition. If it did happen it may well be too late to help us get any potential transfer over the line but will mean we can get better quality in in the next few windows though clubs would be aware of our stronger financial position.
I will treat this story the same as the major investment one. Something to gossip over but put into the unlikely to happen bracket.

jax67
30-06-2019, 06:35 AM
SJM won’t be leaving Villa this season. He may be away at the end of the coming season after he shows himself to be a standout in that league too. SJM is destined for the very top. He has the talent, drive and the passion for the game, everything else can be trained into him.

If the price tag is right I think he’ll be away. Your right about Mcginn imo, he’s destined for greatness.👍

The Baldmans Comb
30-06-2019, 06:39 AM
Where is this "Down South" Scottish people talk about.

England obviously but why not just say it.😂.

SJM playing at the very highest level of English football would be an amazing achievement and you can't fail if you don't get the opportunity though on balance it feels like a summer filler
story.

jax67
30-06-2019, 06:40 AM
I don't think what slm is getting paid will matter a jot if man u actually bid for him. Unless villa give him something like 80 grand a week,they won't be able to match United's wage. Whether villa will want to sell is another matter. Or whether sjm would want to go. I think in a few years time he will be ready for that but does he feel he can make the step up to possibly the most analysed club in the world. I dont think sjm will take any notice of this story but obviously if a genuine bid was forthcoming then he will have a choice to make. There are so many stories going around and very few come to fruition. If it did happen it may well be too late to help us get any potential transfer over the line but will mean we can get better quality in in the next few windows though clubs would be aware of our stronger financial position.
I will treat this story the same as the major investment one. Something to gossip over but put into the unlikely to happen bracket.

Going by his career so far, whether it’s just him or his advisors, whatever decision he makes will be the right one for him. He’s made all the right decisions so far and all with dignity and respect for the clubs he’s moved on from.

hibee-boys
30-06-2019, 06:40 AM
Calm down people, no club is going to pay £50 million for a player who's had one season in the championship.

bingo70
30-06-2019, 06:47 AM
Calm down people, no club is going to pay £50 million for a player who's had one season in the championship.

In the English transfer market anything is possible.

jax67
30-06-2019, 06:49 AM

Man U will, if the story about them wanting SJM is true.

BILLYHIBS
30-06-2019, 07:02 AM
DM all over this story like a rash this morning so must be something in it but tag it according to the Sun

They say Man Utd in for SJM, Bruno Fernandez Sporting Lisbon and Sean Longstaff Newcastle United

:confused:

Cataplana
30-06-2019, 07:05 AM
The issue for me is how a 2.75m player becomes a 50m player in the space of a year. Time for Scottish clubs to play a bit harder when they sell players.

MSK
30-06-2019, 07:09 AM
In the English transfer market anything is possible.Yep, Spurs have just splashed out some loose change £11.5m to sign 18 yo Leeds winger Jack Clarke, 22 games and 2 goals last season

matty_f
30-06-2019, 07:37 AM
I'm surprised that people are so quick to dismiss this rumour. Even if it doesn't happen, I'd be amazed if top clubs weren't looking at McGinn as a potential signing. The boy has a bit of everything in his locker and is a huge influence on a team.

There's no doubt in my mind that he was the single most important signing we made after relegation. He's an outstanding player and a great lad.

cad
30-06-2019, 07:39 AM
Brendan is expected to test the water in this transfer window for SJM as well , I`d be astounded if he went for £50 million to the Mancs having said that Villa value him at £50 million and to replace him with a top like for like could see £35 to £45 million having to be spent so maybe £50 million isnt too far off the mark , but it is the Daily Mail who get f e c k all right it would an astonishing turn of events in his career if it came about, got luck to the guy ,any ideas Hibs cut if hes sold on

Ozyhibby
30-06-2019, 07:49 AM
Get the windfall in for McGinn, buy David Turnball, get him fit and then repeat the trick. [emoji383]

LustForLeith
30-06-2019, 07:52 AM
Ole’s a big fan of McGiinn. I know this for a fact

In the current climate McGinn I’d say is worth £25 - £30 million

HibbyKeith
30-06-2019, 07:56 AM
Its The Sun.... if the told me the sky was blue I'd still go outside to check.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

theonlywayisup
30-06-2019, 07:58 AM
So many experts on here who have strong opinions on whether SJM will sell for £50m or not.

SJM will enhance a top team who wish to play a certain style of play. I thought last season that there were games when Liverpool could have done with a SJM type player.

If a player like SJM enhances a team like Liverpool then he's worth £50m.SJM might have made the difference last season when Liverpool had those three draws against the lesser teams.

My worry going to Manchester United is that they are in major need of surgery that it might not be in SJM's best interests going there.

One thing is clear, IMO, that there will be a lot of interest in him over the next couple of seasons. He's good enough to play for a top six team, albeit as a backup player rather than a first pick.

Col2
30-06-2019, 08:04 AM
I said after the play off win and the exposure he was now a £25-£30m player in the current MARKET.

£50m might be on the very high side and an exaggeration however if a bidding war starts and a Man Utd, Liverpool or Spurs want him then it’s easily £40m+

Hibs can sit tight. If he goes in the summer or next the likehood we will receive a huge fee c£5-£8m. That for us is transformational and if invested well could set us up for next 3 years plus.

Ozyhibby
30-06-2019, 08:19 AM
I said after the play off win and the exposure he was now a £25-£30m player in the current MARKET.

£50m might be on the very high side and an exaggeration however if a bidding war starts and a Man Utd, Liverpool or Spurs want him then it’s easily £40m+

Hibs can sit tight. If he goes in the summer or next the likehood we will receive a huge fee c£5-£8m. That for us is transformational and if invested well could set us up for next 3 years plus.

If Hibs get a figure like that it can’t really be invested in the team because it would be unsustainable. Better to invest elsewhere and have the dividends give us a long term lift to our wage bill.
Best not to buy pubs down south though.

mentalhibee
30-06-2019, 08:21 AM
Get the windfall in for McGinn, buy David Turnball, get him fit and then repeat the trick. [emoji383]

Great shout

FilipinoHibs
30-06-2019, 08:29 AM
If Hibs get a figure like that it can’t really be invested in the team because it would be unsustainable. Better to invest elsewhere and have the dividends give us a long term lift to our wage bill.

A better tenon park would bring in more season ticket holders and merchandise sales. Invest on the park to generate the revenue to sustain us.

MacGruber
30-06-2019, 08:34 AM
https://youtu.be/OfqRsYOAToI

Seen this on the Villa forum - had never seen it before, obviously old though

eastcoasthibby
30-06-2019, 08:35 AM
DM all over this story like a rash this morning so must be something in it but tag it according to the Sun

They say Man Utd in for SJM, Bruno Fernandez Sporting Lisbon and Sean Longstaff Newcastle United

:confused:

Ole needing to rebuild Man U ..and it makes sense to do it with younger players who they will get a good return from on the park for the next 5-6 years. Build a team that are not alleged world beaters as individuals but ones that he can mould ....whilst some folk aren't buying into the atory I reckon it's a live one that's going to play through !! Great news for us !!! 😁

MacGruber
30-06-2019, 08:36 AM
& the updated Villa version

https://youtu.be/T3T9e2Gp9Pc

Ozyhibby
30-06-2019, 08:37 AM
A better tenon park would bring in more season ticket holders and merchandise sales. Invest on the park to generate the revenue to sustain us.

You could spend all that money and still have a bad season. Also, I don’t think it’s enough to lift us past 3rd and that won’t be enough to lift season ticket sales. Once it’s gone, it’s gone.

Greenworld
30-06-2019, 09:15 AM
The thing is even if this story is nonsense,john mcginn is exactly what manchester united need in their side.

They have far too many players playing when in the mood outstanding,but not delivering all the time.SJM would show alot of these jesters up.100% mcginn is exactly what United need he brings out more effort from those around him .
Dare I say a Bryan Robson type of player

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

GraysShinyBonce
30-06-2019, 09:24 AM
100% mcginn is exactly what United need he brings out more effort from those around him .

I think he's destined for a big club, Man Utd certainly need someone with a bit of an engine in there. McGinn non-stop running, driving forward, winning the ball back and having more attacking minded players in front of him - he'll do very very well in a good team.

The thing is, wherever he ends up be it Man U, Spurs, Villa, he's always going to be highly rated and a fan's favourite simply due to his style of play and work-rate.

HH81
30-06-2019, 09:42 AM
& the updated Villa version

https://youtu.be/T3T9e2Gp9Pc

Great video, great player and hopefully going into big things.

RoYO!
30-06-2019, 09:51 AM
Hate. Hate, all this stuff about not there yet etc.

Every. Single. Challenge SJM has had put in front of him he has smashed.

I’d go as far as to say that if he did sign for Man U he’d probably win their fans and players player of the year.

Just can’t see his career trajectory letting up. And no-ones more deserving of this. Back SJM.

Moulin Yarns
30-06-2019, 10:04 AM
The Sunday Mail also coming out with Man Utd offering £50million for Ntcham. I know the English game is awash with cash, but the similar figures being mentioned suggests a bit of guessing by the media.

Feed McGraw
30-06-2019, 10:14 AM
If he goes for £50m I will probably burst clean through the fabric of my trousers. And I won’t even get them repaired. I`ve burst through already just reading the story and like you there`ll be no repair - I might frame them if the deal goes through :greengrin.

jacomo
30-06-2019, 10:14 AM
I know that the money down south is mental but no way will McGinn sell for £50M.

Or to put it another way... £50m would surely be enough to persuade Villa, but it seems absolutely crazy, even for Utd.

gaz1875
30-06-2019, 10:23 AM
The thing is, he is the best player (voted by fans and players) of a rival team, he ain't going cheap that's for sure :agree:

Austinho
30-06-2019, 10:28 AM
If John McGinn goes for £50million this season, I’ll run down Easter Road naked in a bathtub full of bean.

A Hi-Bee
30-06-2019, 10:36 AM
100% mcginn is exactly what United need he brings out more effort from those around him .

I said a few years back on this forum that SJM reminded me a wee bit of a certain player for Liverpool, he was nicknamed "Crazy Horse" Emlyn Hughes was never the most technically gifted same as SJM but could carry a team with sheer will and purpose very much like SJM. plenty of other more technical players around the main man running the show, he dont need to be the most gifted when surrounded by other very good players.
As Hibs would be due a hefty sell on figure the fee would need to be on the higher side for Villa to even consider, assuming that there is even the slightest bit of truth in this story which for sure has done its job true or false, its the red tops for you, only thing sure on one of them rags is the date.
Dont think this will happen but great for raising the profile of Hibs and gives us all something to gossip about on a quiet transfer news front.

Onion
30-06-2019, 10:44 AM
[QUOTE=Cataplana;5827148]The issue for me is how a 2.75m player becomes a 50m player in the space of a year. Time for Scottish clubs to play a bit harder when they sell players.[/QUOTE

Scot football is a joke in the deep south and the pay up here is pocket change to them. There’s nothing SJM did in a Scotland jersey that indicated he could play at the highest level, so clubs with money would be raving bonkers to shell out big sums, until they are tested in the heady atmosphere of England.

And it doesn’t help when the media think a big move for our best talent is one that involves Celtic and 750k !!

LeithMike
30-06-2019, 10:51 AM

Sent from my SM-G903F using TapatalkSpot on. McGinn might not be a silky playmaker but he's got everything you want from a midfield general. Also, quite similar to Roy Keane in his early days when he would drive his team forward.

Think he'd be a perfect fit for United and while its going to take a long time for them to get back to the top, signing players like SJM is the way it should be done.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Wakeyhibee
30-06-2019, 10:53 AM
Scot football is a joke in the deep south and the pay up here is pocket change to them. There’s nothing SJM did in a Scotland jersey that indicated he could play at the highest level, so clubs with money would be raving bonkers to shell out big sums, until they are tested in the heady atmosphere of England.

And it doesn’t help when the media think a big move for our best talent is one that involves Celtic and 750k !![/QUOTE]

Therein lies the problem. If someone's only got buttons it's all they'll pay.

SJM is worth whatever a club wants to buy/sell him for. In Scotland it's £3m in England it might be as much as they say.

hibbydog
30-06-2019, 10:54 AM
Is anyone actually taking this seriously?

Since452
30-06-2019, 10:59 AM

No smoke without fire

Just Jimmy
30-06-2019, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=Cataplana;5827148]The issue for me is how a 2.75m player becomes a 50m player in the space of a year. Time for Scottish clubs to play a bit harder when they sell players.[/QUOTE

And it doesn’t help when the media think a big move for our best talent is one that involves Celtic and 750k !!he's been outstanding for st mirren, hibs and now villa.

Andy Robertson is outstanding for Liverpool yet looks average for Scotland.

coached and surrounded by dross. He is more than capable of stepping up.

allezsauzee
30-06-2019, 11:03 AM
To make it in the EPL , you have be first and foremost an athlete. Your level of technical ability will then dictate whether you will be good enough to play for a top 6 club , mid table or relegation battlers. SJM clearly has the strength and athleticism. I would say at this moment he probably has the technical ability to play for a mid table team , however he is progressing at a rate of knots and clearly has the attitude to push himself further. I'd point to Andy Robertson as being in a similar situation a few years back. If SJM has the luck to avoid serious injury and gets top class coaching, the sky is the limit for him and £50 million will seem like a snip in a year or two.

Keith_M
30-06-2019, 11:03 AM

Petrie's already looked out the plans for the helipad, so somebody definitely is taking it seriously.

mentalhibee
30-06-2019, 11:10 AM

He’s as good as James Maddison if not better so why wouldn’t he be worth 50million in the inflated transfer market. John McGinn would bring a lot more to Manchester United than the likes of Fred.

Scouse Hibee
30-06-2019, 11:12 AM
Nooooooo anywhere but the Manc ******. I could never like him again.

Hibernia&Alba
30-06-2019, 11:13 AM
Time will tell; it's The Sun and we're in the summer transfer silly season. I'd be very surprised, but stranger things have happened.

NAE NOOKIE
30-06-2019, 11:14 AM

I'm with Ozy on this one. Even if we got 10 million from an SJM sell on it would be pointless buying million pound players because we would have to pay million pound players wages. Far better to invest that money in being able to pay an average of £3000 to £4,000 a week to players slightly above the level we can afford now.

Not just that but invest the money in making Hibs a club that's attractive to play for. I've often said in these discussions that Edinburgh itself should be a draw and its interesting that two of our recent recruits have mentioned the city in positive terms. We should also make the way we look after the players a big priority with as many modern facilities as we can afford and the best off field support for them …. I know we strive for that now, but more money means we could do even better.

Then there's the stadium … If a couple of million was used to at least fill in the East / FF corner that improves the atmosphere and look of the stadium … just another positive in attracting players, and supporters.

There's a lot 10 million could do for Hibs to make us a better club all round for the long term … million quid players isn't part of that .. I wish it was, but it isn't.

CraigHibee
30-06-2019, 11:15 AM

All paper talk just now but there must be some whisperings, how good would it be not only for us but mcginn

It would benefit us massively just as long as the money was invested back into the squad again

Sir David Gray
30-06-2019, 11:17 AM
Nooooooo anywhere but the Manc ******. I could never like him again.

:faf: Praying this happens.

Scouse Hibee
30-06-2019, 11:26 AM
:faf: Praying this happens.

😁😂

Green_one
30-06-2019, 11:54 AM
No smoke without fire

It is transfer time and Man United are linked with every player under the sun. Almost none of it is fact and most just click bait United are supposedly pursuing two midfielders at Leicester, one at Newcastle , a couple of Portuguese etc etc. A whole lot of players who were coming have gone to other clubs I.e. it was rubbish. Woodward has promised exciting signings in a recent mail. I doubt United supporters would view McGinn as such Even the sum involved is obviously invented It is so far out that it is not even listed in Redcafes transfer forum, a place a crazy quesswork, hope and rumour

ScottB
30-06-2019, 11:54 AM
Didn’t Villa knock back £60million odd for Graelish last summer?

With the money being thrown around in England, and SJM’s performances alongside a player already deemed to be in that sort of cost bracket, it makes ‘sense’ that McGinn might attract attention.

30-06-2019, 11:56 AM
https://youtu.be/OfqRsYOAToI

Seen this on the Villa forum - had never seen it before, obviously old though

After watching this I’d pay 50m to get him back. What a player he was for us 😢

Sir David Gray
30-06-2019, 12:34 PM
Didn’t Villa knock back £60million odd for Graelish last summer?

With the money being thrown around in England, and SJM’s performances alongside a player already deemed to be in that sort of cost bracket, it makes ‘sense’ that McGinn might attract attention.

Grealish has already played in the Premier League though which is the main difference between him and McGinn.

The Green Goblin
30-06-2019, 12:43 PM
Finally, we can get those corners filled in...

MWHIBBIES
30-06-2019, 12:52 PM
Mcginn would be the 2nd most expensive British player ever if this happened right? After Bale?

I think it's mental to think he'd go for that without a single premier league game.

Ozyhibby
30-06-2019, 12:53 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190630/f5d65ab68b1f25ee41436c85c2983343.jpg
Lots of folk saying he’s not worth £50m but Aston Villa fans would rather keep him at that price.
A lot of those yes votes are probably Hibs fans like me as well.

we are hibs
30-06-2019, 12:58 PM
Mcginn would be the 2nd most expensive British player ever if this happened right? After Bale?

I think it's mental to think he'd go for that without a single premier league game.

Wan bikasa just went to man u for 50 million?

WhileTheChief..
30-06-2019, 12:58 PM
Man Utd won’t be able to afford him if they wait until next year.

Pagan Hibernia
30-06-2019, 01:02 PM
Unlikely he’ll be going anywhere just yet in my opinion.

his performances in the premier league this season will determine where he ends up and how big a windfall Hibs can expect

Ultimately though, even if he ends up being sold for ‘only’ £25 million that would bring
the amount Hibs could possibly expect to be around £3.5 million. Bringing the total deal to what, £7 million?

sort of puts into perspective that pishy £1.5 million offer Celtic thought we’d be happy with. And some of their fans took a right hump when we had the cheek to turn that down! :greengrin

h18eeynick
30-06-2019, 01:03 PM
I'm with Ozy on this one. Even if we got 10 million from an SJM sell on it would be pointless buying million pound players because we would have to pay million pound players wages. Far better to invest that money in being able to pay an average of £3000 to £4,000 a week to players slightly above the level we can afford now.

Not just that but invest the money in making Hibs a club that's attractive to play for. I've often said in these discussions that Edinburgh itself should be a draw and its interesting that two of our recent recruits have mentioned the city in positive terms. We should also make the way we look after the players a big priority with as many modern facilities as we can afford and the best off field support for them …. I know we strive for that now, but more money means we could do even better.

Then there's the stadium … If a couple of million was used to at least fill in the East / FF corner that improves the atmosphere and look of the stadium … just another positive in attracting players, and supporters.

There's a lot 10 million could do for Hibs to make us a better club all round for the long term … million quid players isn't part of that .. I wish it was, but it isn't.

Totally agree with this. Would love to see the stadium enclosed and compete at say Aberdeens level of wages. Only problem is what do you do about existing squad if new players come in on much higher wages ? Do you increase their wages or risk motivational issues ? Would be a great problem to have and interested to hear peoples views and possible immediate targets in current market

Gmack7
30-06-2019, 01:04 PM
during the on pitch summary after the play off final the pundit said he knew for certain bigger clubs had already shown an interest in McGinn, so it's not to unbelievable

Just Jimmy
30-06-2019, 01:05 PM

I think it's mental to think he'd go for that without a single premier league game.Kyle walker and john stones both joined city for around the 50mill Mark. Mcginn won't be 50mill flat up. the deal would maybe get that far but not outright.

MWHIBBIES
30-06-2019, 01:10 PM
Wan bikasa just went to man u for 50 million?

I think it was only 45 guaranteed though

The Green Goblin
30-06-2019, 01:15 PM
I'm surprised that people are so quick to dismiss this rumour. Even if it doesn't happen, I'd be amazed if top clubs weren't looking at McGinn as a potential signing. The boy has a bit of everything in his locker and is a huge influence on a team.

There's no doubt in my mind that he was the single most important signing we made after relegation. He's an outstanding player and a great lad.

Agree. One of the things that made SJM stand out for me was how quickly he learned and improved, sometimes from one game to the next. If any other player (not one of ours and not Scottish) had ripped up the Championship and gained promotion as he had, nobody would have batted an eyelid or questioned it. As we know all too well, all clubs have their price for players and if Man Utd came in with that, Villa would sell. And if they did, can you really see McGinn struggling in thatMan Utd team? He would take a little time to adjust, then he would adapt and get into his stride, as he has always done. He is fearless and a magnificent talent. He would fit right in. I have to ask: are we doubting this because we are not used to our own players reaching these heights, or is it the underlying national psyche of self-doubt and struggling to accept we are “good enough”? Even if the rumour and figures mentioned are nonsense, the question of whether or not he could do it is a no-brainer. Of course he could.

HoboHarry
30-06-2019, 01:21 PM
Kyle walker and john stones both joined city for around the 50mill Mark. Mcginn won't be 50mill flat up. the deal would maybe get that far but not outright.

Depends on how badly another team want him - he's under contract and Villa don't have to sell him. It's Villa who are in the stronger negotiating position.....

jacomo
30-06-2019, 01:27 PM
Totally agree with this. Would love to see the stadium enclosed and compete at say Aberdeens level of wages. Only problem is what do you do about existing squad if new players come in on much higher wages ? Do you increase their wages or risk motivational issues ? Would be a great problem to have and interested to hear peoples views and possible immediate targets in current market

I think you unsettle a squad when one or two players earn massively more than anyone else. If you are raising the overall squad budget in a more incremental then current players will want to renegotiate terms - but hopefully they are motivated to prove their worth.

They say a team is only as strong as its weakest player, so I’m in favour of a more gradual approach.

As for current players, I’d be delighted if we signed Mulumbu.

Just Jimmy
30-06-2019, 01:28 PM
Depends on how badly another team want him - he's under contract and Villa don't have to sell him. It's Villa who are in the stronger negotiating position.....it won't be 50 mill upfront. it'll be add ons to get to 50 mill.

as much as I believe in him, I'll also believe it when I see it.

Tug Wilson
30-06-2019, 01:38 PM
The way I read the story is

- Man U are interested in buying SJM
- Villa don't want to sell so slap a massive price tag on him. £50m
- Man U have not offered £50m
- in fact, they have not made any offer
- if they do offer then it will likely be well under the price set by Villa to test their resolve
- if a deal is made then it is probably going to be somewhere in between
- however if other clubs want to stop SJM going to Man U then a bidding war may ensue

Iggy Pope
30-06-2019, 01:54 PM
Depends on how badly another team want him - he's under contract and Villa don't have to sell him. It's Villa who are in the stronger negotiating position.....

When a club like Manure come calling though clubs can very quickly find themselves dealing with a player who only wants to leave. There are precedents.

HoboHarry
30-06-2019, 01:57 PM
When a club like Manure come calling though clubs can very quickly find themselves dealing with a player who only wants to leave. There are precedents.
Of course - I was simply making the point that Villa don't have to sell which gives them power. Would be a very different scenario if he was out of contract next year....

Onion
30-06-2019, 02:06 PM

True, the £50m tag is bunk, but if a team like Man U show genuine interest it's tricky for Villa to put up unreasonable hurdles. They paid a pittance, he scored the winner in the POs and they're not responsible for making him Super. He should go with their blessing, just as he did at Hibs.

SanFranHibs
30-06-2019, 02:18 PM
The Man U £50 million headline might just be clickbait, but it is not unlikely that a player who contributed greatly to Villa's promotion to the EPL will be on the radar of quite a few clubs. That is a long way rom £50 million offers, although when the inevitable 'bigger' clubs do come knocking Villa can negotiate as an EPL club which in itself must strengthen their hand.

Maybe SJM and his new mate Jackie G will be quite happy to stay at Villa next season. I hope they both do and enjoy a relatively successful season.

Hibernia&Alba
30-06-2019, 02:21 PM
The way I read the story is

- Man U are interested in buying SJM
- Villa don't want to sell so slap a massive price tag on him. £50m
- Man U have not offered £50m
- in fact, they have not made any offer
- if they do offer then it will likely be well under the price set by Villa to test their resolve
- if a deal is made then it is probably going to be somewhere in between
- however if other clubs want to stop SJM going to Man U then a bidding war may ensue

You've nailed it :agree:

truehibernian
30-06-2019, 02:25 PM

Manchester United (if they move for him) is a no-brainer. What a stratospheric rise in his development and career in the space of a few seasons, much like Andy Robertson.

You're bang on, if Man Utd bid for him he'll go - what a coup for the player and Hibs. Can just see Rod with his abacus out at his new desk at Hampden working out the percentages :greengrin

The 90+2
30-06-2019, 02:26 PM
Is there any English media reporting this or is it just to get a few hits on their Scottish websites?

jax67
30-06-2019, 02:28 PM
Man U should just offer £100million for Mcginn and Grealish together and be done with it.👍

Hibernia&Alba
30-06-2019, 02:29 PM
The rumour reaches the Hibs boardroom

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YNjQuBNnY8w/Ty081d0lIII/AAAAAAAAAsk/hMy2wYj2tiY/s1600/borat-dancing.gif

Scott Allan Key
30-06-2019, 02:29 PM
Agree. One of the things that made SJM stand out for me was how quickly he learned and improved, sometimes from one game to the next. If any other player (not one of ours and not Scottish) had ripped up the Championship and gained promotion as he had, nobody would have batted an eyelid or questioned it. As we know all too well, all clubs have their price for players and if Man Utd came in with that, Villa would sell. And if they did, can you really see McGinn struggling in thatMan Utd team? He would take a little time to adjust, then he would adapt and get into his stride, as he has always done. He is fearless and a magnificent talent. He would fit right in. I have to ask: are we doubting this because we are not used to our own players reaching these heights, or is it the underlying national psyche of self-doubt and struggling to accept we are “good enough”? Even if the rumour and figures mentioned are nonsense, the question of whether or not he could do it is a no-brainer. Of course he could.Very good points raised. I was told about this by my Zimbabwean colleague this morning. The fact is, with Andy Robertson being a Champions' League winner, Ryan Fraser also being touted for a big move, the people who usually watch English football (ie most of England and global audiences) are noticing exciting Scottish talent. My colleague didn't know about John McGinn until the Championship play off, but he knows who he is now.

It does make me wonder when he isn't surprised at the quoted fee but us Scots are. That's the reality for great players, we can't accept it, maybe because it's so unfair, given what we initially could sell him for.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

The 90+2
30-06-2019, 02:32 PM
The rumour reaches the Hibs boardroom

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YNjQuBNnY8w/Ty081d0lIII/AAAAAAAAAsk/hMy2wYj2tiY/s1600/borat-dancing.gif

Don’t mention Kazakhstani dancing to Petrie ffs.

J-C
30-06-2019, 02:36 PM
Ole is trying to bring that British style core back to Man U. I watched McTomminey a few times and he's always stood out as a very decent player, they have a real problem at RB which is why the Crystal P lad has came in, Pogba will be away as he doesn't fit in with the Man U ethos ( one of the reasons Fergie wasn't fussed when he left, thought he was bigger than the club). I think the board will give Ole at least 1 season to put his stamp on the team, this 1st window will see what he's all about, I wouldn't be surprised if a good few under achievers are gone, Sanchez, Pogba, Lukaku etc, a right good clearout.

Hibernia&Alba
30-06-2019, 02:38 PM
Ole is trying to bring that British style core back to Man U. I watched McTomminey a few times and he's always stood out as a very decent player, they have a real problem at RB which is why the Crystal P lad has came in, Pogba will be away as he doesn't fit in with the Man U ethos ( one of the reasons Fergie wasn't fussed when he left, thought he was bigger than the club). I think the board will give Ole at least 1 season to put his stamp on the team, this 1st window will see what he's all about, I wouldn't be surprised if a good few under achievers are gone, Sanchez, Pogba, Lukaku etc, a right good clearout.

Looks like Lukaku is away to Inter for 63 million, which is a great deal for United.

J-C
30-06-2019, 02:39 PM
Looks like Lukaku is away to Inter for 63 million, which is a great deal for United.

When he's on form he's devastating but he'll then go dozens of games being naff, Rashford is Man U future.

CmoantheHibs
30-06-2019, 02:44 PM
The figure is made up paper stuff but I'm not sure there isn't something in the story. Whether he has had an impact directly or indirectly SJM is definitely a player Sir Alex would covet. All his team's were marked by their desire and hunger to succeed which has been missing since he stepped down. This hunger and desire is one of SJM biggest attributes. Even if he had no input directly he must have had the biggest influence on OGS managerial thinking so it's not too far fetched to imagine OGS wanting him.

Just Jimmy
30-06-2019, 03:20 PM
Is there any English media reporting this or is it just to get a few hits on their Scottish websites?Duncan Castles was the first journo to break the AWB story.

IWasThere2016
30-06-2019, 03:22 PM
I genuinely expected Liverpool to move for SJM.

I think he'd fit their system and would be good in front/inside Robertson

Scouse Hibee
30-06-2019, 03:27 PM
Manchester United (if they move for him) is a no-brainer. What a stratospheric rise in his development and career in the space of a few seasons, much like Andy Robertson.

You're bang on, if Man Utd bid for him he'll go - what a coup for the player and Hibs. Can just see Rod with his abacus out at his new desk at Hampden working out the percentages :greengrin

Robertson served his time in the premiership at Hull, then joined Liverpool and had to bide his time. Mcginn would not walk straight into the first at Manure

Speedway
30-06-2019, 03:37 PM
Just been reported that Celtic have tried to upstage Man Utd by placing a £1.68m cash take it or leave it deal, with Villa.

No add ons though. ‘£1.68m in cash is plenty’ said PL

Iain G
30-06-2019, 03:43 PM
Duncan Castles was the first journo to break the AWB story.

Did he say "let's go round again" when they had to up their offer?

MrRobot
30-06-2019, 04:16 PM
When he's on form he's devastating but he'll then go dozens of games being naff, Rashford is Man U future.

If Rashford really does want around 300k per week for his 10 goal a season return then they should be cashing in on him too.

Far too many Instagram celebrities at Man United and not enough footballers.

Stuart93
30-06-2019, 04:23 PM
If Rashford really does want around 300k per week for his 10 goal a season return then they should be cashing in on him too.

Agree with this, I’m not sure Rashford is all that good.

But he’s English so he’s hyped up to the max

J-C
30-06-2019, 05:36 PM

:agree: Ole won't take any nonsense, under that baby face is a hard liner I'd assume, he knows what Man U are all about.

Arch Stanton
30-06-2019, 05:42 PM
The figure is made up paper stuff but I'm not sure there isn't something in the story. Whether he has had an impact directly or indirectly SJM is definitely a player Sir Alex would covet. All his team's were marked by their desire and hunger to succeed which has been missing since he stepped down. This hunger and desire is one of SJM biggest attributes. Even if he had no input directly he must have had the biggest influence on OGS managerial thinking so it's not too far fetched to imagine OGS wanting him.

Not in the least far fetched IMO. OGS has seen SJM's abilities from the managers area at two Europa games!

I suppose it will come down to his currency within MU. David Moyes was given nothing (not unreasonably some would say) but van Gaal was given a blank chequebook. If OGS is starved of funds he is in for a hard time of it.

Ronniekirk
30-06-2019, 05:44 PM
John McGinn The Cash Cow That just keeps giving
If only it were true

Iggy Pope
30-06-2019, 05:45 PM
Not in the least far fetched IMO. OGS has seen SJM's abilities from the managers area at two Europa games!

I suppose it will come down to his currency within MU. David Moyes was given nothing (not unreasonably some would say) but van Gaal was given a blank chequebook. If OGS is starved of funds he is in for a hard time of it.

Some trip to that tie in Tripolis then.

Smartie
30-06-2019, 05:46 PM
Before considering footballing ability, it strikes me that United need to lose a few pricks and acquire a few good guys.

There are too many people who think they have made it just by being there, and they're hopelessly deficient in the types of work ethic and mental strength that bring success.

I don't know if McGinn is a good enough footballer yet but he has other attributes in spades - exactly what Robertson was like when he went to Liverpool. They took him, improved him, and have ended up with a top player.

United are never going to get to where they were with players like Sanchez and Pogba. That sounds like a great deal they've got for Lukaku too.

Lancs Harp
30-06-2019, 05:48 PM
Great thread, very entertaining.

No way on Gods earth is any Premier league team going to pay £50 Million for any Championship player. Dream on fellas.

Callum_62
30-06-2019, 05:49 PM

No way on Gods earth is any Premier league team going to pay £50 Million for any Championship player. Dream on fellas.Didn't spurs have a £40 million bid for Grealish rejected last year?

Not a million miles away from 50 million a year later I wouldn't have thought

Infact it's probably exactly why villa put Mcginn in that bracket

Lancs Harp
30-06-2019, 05:51 PM
Didn't spurs have a £40 million bid for Grealish rejected last year?

Not a million miles away from 50 million a year later I wouldn't have thought

Who knows the figures with Grealish (who is far more established in England)

I would put SJMs current value in England between 15 and 20 million.

Feel free to let me know if he goes for 50 million this summer.

United just bought that lad from Swansea for 18 million. Old Trafford wont be ranking SJM above that.

Seveno
30-06-2019, 06:05 PM
Perhaps Man U offered £25m and were told by Villa to come back with £50m and they might talk.

Lancs Harp
30-06-2019, 06:07 PM
Agree with this, I’m not sure Rashford is all that good.

But he’s English so he’s hyped up to the max

and on this thread we are doing with SJM because he's ex Hibs and Scottish?

Callum_62
30-06-2019, 06:07 PM

United just bought that lad from Swansea for 18 million. Old Trafford wont be ranking SJM above that.I'd be shocked if they don't rate one of if not the most influential players in efl championshio above a player who played. A handful of games for Swansea

If they don't Villa won't be selling that's for sure

Anyway you said no way a epl team would bid 50 million for a championship player.... Which Grealish was at the time of a 40 million pound bid.... Not a million miles off

Lancs Harp
30-06-2019, 06:11 PM
I'd be shocked if they don't rate one of if not the most influential players in efl championshio above a player who played. A handful of games for Swansea

If they don't Villa won't be selling that's for sure

If he goes for 50 million mate I'll buy you a pint or two. Obviously as hibs fan I hope he does but I think there's certain amout of green coloured spectacles on this one.

Im pretty sure SJM will start the season very much a Villa player, he's playing for a great club in a high level league Im very much looking forward to see what he can do.

Callum_62
30-06-2019, 06:14 PM
If he goes for 50 million mate I'll buy you a pint or two. Obviously as hibs fan I hope he does but I think there's certain amout of green coloured spectacles on this one.

Im pretty sure SJM will start the season very much a Villa player, he's playing for a great club in a high level league Im very much looking forward to see what he can do.I doubt he will go for 50 million either but it won't surprise me if villa rate there players player of the year and fans player of the year on a par with there star player in Grealish

Lancs Harp
30-06-2019, 06:17 PM
I doubt he will go for 50 million either but it won't surprise me if villa rate there players player of the year and fans player of the year on a par with there star player in Grealish

They are both key players. Obviously as Hibs lad I rate SJM massively but given the choice of who you would rather keep Im pretty sure Villa fans would say Grealish over Super John ,hes a cult hero at Villa Park. He seems to get some criticis on here but the lad is a seriously good player. Just ask SJM.

Arch Stanton
30-06-2019, 06:20 PM
Some trip to that tie in Tripolis then.

Ah-hem. One game at ER and one game in Molde.

I said two games, I didn't say two ties!! :greengrin

BS44
30-06-2019, 06:21 PM

No way on Gods earth is any Premier league team going to pay £50 Million for any Championship player. Dream on fellas.

McGinn ain't a championship player

DetroitHibs
30-06-2019, 06:21 PM
SJM is worth every bit of £50 million IMO, he was worth £5 million when he left us and we sold ourselves short, though made up from it from the add ons.

Iggy Pope
30-06-2019, 06:22 PM
Ah-hem. One game at ER and one game in Molde.

I said two games, I didn't say two ties!! :greengrin

We didn’t have the main man in either game v Molde though. See what I mean?

Lancs Harp
30-06-2019, 06:23 PM
McGinn ain't a championship player

True but his footballing experience is.

bingo70
30-06-2019, 06:31 PM
Finding a lot of these posts that are so dismissive of the speculation quite condescending, as if the people who are open to discussing it are somehow being duped.

It probably won’t happen but the English transfer market is bonkers and nothing surprises me down there any more. Any number of transfers have happened in recent years that so many experts on forums would have said a few weeks before “he’s never worth that.....” or “That’ll never happen” and yet these deals keep happening.

People keep saying he’s worth £25-£30m.....well first of all, they wouldn’t get him for that so if Utd want him they’ll need to pay more than that. Secondly, I’m sure if any selling club has a price in mind, as soon as United come to the table the price goes up significantly as everyone and their dog knows they’re desperate and have loads of money. The same applies to Man City (without the being desperate bit)

Do I think it will happen? Probably not.

Could it happen? Stranger things have happened so yes, it could.

Would he be a good signing for them? I think he could be, they certainly need someone with his attitude.

weecounty hibby
30-06-2019, 06:44 PM
Selfishly as a Hibby extra cash would be great but as a football fan in general I'd like to see him stay at Villa and see him get them back to where a club like them belongs. They are a huge club with a massive following and it would be good to see them back in the epl and staying there and improving. He will move on at some point I think and probably for a lot of cash to one of the top 4 sides, so time yet for our windfall. I still miss him😢😢

BS44
30-06-2019, 06:50 PM
True but his footballing experience is.

They'll be looking to sign him on his ability mote than his experience in whichever league he has played in the past.

matty_f
30-06-2019, 06:52 PM
Finding a lot of these posts that are so dismissive of the speculation quite condescending, as if the people who are open to discussing it are somehow being duped.

It probably won’t happen but the English transfer market is bonkers and nothing surprises me down there any more. Any number of transfers have happened in recent years that so many experts on forums would have said a few weeks before “he’s never worth that.....” or “That’ll never happen” and yet these deals keep happening.

People keep saying he’s worth £25-£30m.....well first of all, they wouldn’t get him for that so if Utd want him they’ll need to pay more than that. Secondly, I’m sure if any selling club has a price in mind, as soon as United come to the table the price goes up significantly as everyone and their dog knows they’re desperate and have loads of money. The same applies to Man City (without the being desperate bit)

Do I think it will happen? Probably not.

Could it happen? Stranger things have happened so yes, it could.

Would he be a good signing for them? I think he could be, they certainly need someone with his attitude.

Good post. The English Premier League market is bonkers. You look at the prices of midfielders who have moved to trans there and the sums are massive, often for completely unremarkable players.

£50m for a good midfielder in that league isn't going to raise many eyebrows these days.

Since452
30-06-2019, 06:53 PM
I think he's exactly what Man United need and would be a brilliant move to one of the biggest clubs in the world. Makes you wonder why they didn't buy him from Hibs for buttons then loan him to an English Championship team. Surely a club that size would have been aware of him when he was at Hibs. 3 million or 50 million a year later...

Mantis Toboggan
30-06-2019, 06:54 PM

Im pretty sure SJM will start the season very much a Villa player, he's playing for a great club in a high level league Im very much looking forward to see what he can do.

If Man U genuinely want him he will want to go there and Villa can pretty much name their price

Ozyhibby
30-06-2019, 07:08 PM
I think he's exactly what Man United need and would be a brilliant move to one of the biggest clubs in the world. Makes you wonder why they didn't buy him from Hibs for buttons then loan him to an English Championship team. Surely a club that size would have been aware of him when he was at Hibs. 3 million or 50 million a year later...

And you can turn that the other way as well. In future when we have what we think is a massive talent, say porteous next summer, should we think about loaning him to England for a season and banking his full value ourselves. English clubs are wary of paying big fees until the player has played down there.

JeMeSouviens
30-06-2019, 07:11 PM
I think he’ll stay at Villa unless they’re desperate for the money.

Theinsider
30-06-2019, 07:25 PM
Would love to see him at Liverpool. Well suited to how they can play.

J-C
30-06-2019, 07:25 PM
McGinn was a driving force behind AV getting promotion this year and his reputation has escalated no end, you do not play the way he has and not get noticed by bigger clubs down south. His wage has probably increased by 50% with promotion and his value will have boosted due to his performances and winning player and fans player of the year, you can also add into the mix that wonder strike of his.

Ozyhibby
30-06-2019, 07:37 PM
McGinn was a driving force behind AV getting promotion this year and his reputation has escalated no end, you do not play the way he has and not get noticed by bigger clubs down south. His wage has probably increased by 50% with promotion and his value will have boosted due to his performances and winning player and fans player of the year, you can also add into the mix that wonder strike of his.

Even if his wage has increased 50% it is nowhere near what he could expect at Man U.

J-C
30-06-2019, 07:39 PM
Even if his wage has increased 50% it is nowhere near what he could expect at Man U.

I agree, I was pointing out that McGinn has increased his value to AV and as a player in general, if clubs now want him, it'll cost them as he's a key play for AV.

Arch Stanton
30-06-2019, 07:56 PM
We didn’t have the main man in either game v Molde though. See what I mean?

OOOps

Pagan Hibernia
30-06-2019, 08:04 PM

United’s recruitment policy has been an out and out shambles since Ferguson retired. They would never have taken a long term sensible option like that

Sammy7nil
30-06-2019, 09:22 PM
I think the Sun where eves dropping and mistook 15 for 50 million.

If anyone paid £50 million for McGinn at this stage of his career they need help. Having said that I think he is a great player and who knows maybe one day £50 million will be realistic but definitely not now.

AgentDaleCooper
30-06-2019, 09:25 PM
I think the Sun where eves dropping and mistook 15 for 50 million.

If anyone paid £50 million for McGinn at this stage of his career they need help. Having said that I think he is a great player and who knows maybe one day £50 million will be realistic but definitely not now.

As soon as you become a premier league player, your pricetag goes completely mental. I think SJM will go for £70m next summer, but to liverpool, replacing james milner.

Here’s Lucy!
30-06-2019, 09:26 PM
Loved the wee man likesay, but 50 big ones?

Someone, somewhere is surely having a giraffe.

John McGinn? 50 Mil?

OK then.

Dr Jimmy
30-06-2019, 09:29 PM

John McGinn? 50 Mil?

OK then.

You should be more concerned that your team lost 2-0 v Arbroath.

Sammy7nil
30-06-2019, 09:32 PM
As soon as you become a premier league player, your pricetag goes completely mental. I think SJM will go for £70m next summer, but to liverpool, replacing james milner.

I will have pint of your tipple :greengrin just a wee flaw in your theory SJM is not premier league player yet. No one knows how he will cope. I suspect he will do fine but to jump to one of the top ten players in the league with a £70 million price tag is a massive leap.

Hermit Crab
30-06-2019, 09:40 PM
You should be more concerned that your team lost 2-0 v Arbroath.

All the poster did was post their opinion. Theres no need for the Hearts fan accusations imo. For what its worth I agree that McGinn is not worth £50m either. Does that make me a Hearts fan?

Sammy7nil
30-06-2019, 09:44 PM
All the poster did was post their opinion. Theres no need for the Hearts fan accusations imo. For what its worth I agree that McGinn is not worth £50m either. Does that make me a Hearts fan?

Yes :greengrin

Eyrie
30-06-2019, 09:45 PM

There's a running joke on here that you are, so the answer is yes :wink:

heretoday
30-06-2019, 09:58 PM
I can't believe this story. Villa wouldn't sell him on so quick for one thing.
And with respect to SJM Man Utd can scour the world for men in his position.

HFC93
30-06-2019, 10:06 PM

John McGinn? 50 Mil?

OK then.

The story is rubbish. And he's not worth £50 million.

However, if he has another good season I wouldn't be shocked if he goes for an insane fee. Villa are a big English club who will hold out for massive fee.

If Celtic want £20 million + for Tierney then Villa's valuation of McGinn will be similar. He could easily go for £30-40 million 9-12 months down the line if he continues to progress.

truehibernian
30-06-2019, 10:12 PM

Thing is HC, Spurs were willing to bid up to £30 million for Grealish last season. Now that Villa have been promoted, and Grealish and McGinn have been acknowledged as the driving force towards their promotion, then in economies of scale then upwards of that figure (£30 million) has to be considered realistic wouldn't you say ? The money down there is daft and I agree with you - but you have to price a player against the markets.

tooley
30-06-2019, 10:24 PM

Your just bitter he’s getting mentioned with UNITED 😉

The_Exile
30-06-2019, 10:32 PM
Thing is HC, Spurs were willing to bid up to £30 million for Grealish last season.

I think it was 42 million that ended up getting rejected. There’s usually a premium added to young(ish) English players down there so Grealish probably is in the 50 million ballpark right now. Don’t think McGinn is there yet but not far off.

My old man
01-07-2019, 06:23 AM

Agree 100%
GGTTH

Hibby Bairn
01-07-2019, 06:48 AM
The story is rubbish. And he's not worth £50 million.

However, if he has another good season I wouldn't be shocked if he goes for an insane fee. Villa are a big English club who will hold out for massive fee.

If Celtic want £20 million + for Tierney then Villa's valuation of McGinn will be similar. He could easily go for £30-40 million 9-12 months down the line if he continues to progress.

£20m from Scotland to England is the same as £40m England to England. Doesn’t make sense to me either but that’s how it works.

Jack Ferrigan
01-07-2019, 07:05 AM

You are.Without doubt.

andybev1
01-07-2019, 07:12 AM
I think this article puts this story into perspective... https://www.myoldmansaid.com/confirmed-john-mcginn-is-off-to-manchester-united-via-magaluf/

or here:

MOMS was going to crank the Media Muppets column up into action once again as a reaction to all these stories about Aston Villa needing to offer £30m for various Championship players, including Bristol City’s Adam Webster and Leeds Kalvin Phillips, but along came The Sun…

Bye-bye Meatball?
The headline of ‘Manchester United are set to bid for John McGinn – but the Aston Villa star will cost £50m’ was run by The Sun last night. Without offering any real substance, the article seemed to try and justify itself with the following token paragraph: ‘The Old Trafford club have made background checks on McGinn ahead of their opening offer’.

Now, what McGinn is worth and if United would offer £50m, isn’t really the issue here. The bottom line is Villa would be fools to sell him at this moment in time.

Without McGinn last season, Villa wouldn’t be in the Premier League now, without him in the upcoming season, potential relegation suddenly becomes a serious conversation.

The fact of the matter is the only core players in the current Villa squad that supporters know they could rely on next season as first XI starters are Jack Grealish and McGinn.

How new signing Wesley will cope with English football is an unknown. While Villa’s current lack of centre-backs is a serious concern, as is the current size of the squad.

Embed from Getty Images

The Hypothetical
If you want to get into the hypothetical of, ‘but Villa could use that £50m to upgrade the team’, such an amount doesn’t stretch very far in the current market.

Domestic Championship players are apparently valued at £30m…and there are no guarantees in procuring cheaper talent off the continent will work. Look at how the likes of the talented Idrissa Gueye and Jordan Veretout performed in a hastily put together Villa team that eventually got relegated without even a whimper.

If Villa didn’t have both McGinn and Tyrone Mings next season, then the spine of the belief, spirit and dynamism of the Villa team that stormed the later stages of last season to get promoted, would have been ripped out. Villa would be very much starting from scratch with little continuity from last season.

Considering the defining qualities that the Scots midfielder brings to Villa, with McGinn, it’s very much a case of a dove in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Anyway, back to The Sun…

Who the ****** Are Man United?
While The Sun have a dedicated ‘United News’ online portal that is a beast they obviously need to feed to exploit United’s massive global fanbase, there was something interesting about the timing of the article.

A couple of hours before they ran the United £50M McGinn article on Saturday night (June 29th), they ran a profile piece entitled:

‘MCGINNIESTA Man Utd transfer target John McGinn is workaholic Villa fans’ favourite who partied in Magaluf after promotion’.

Obviously, it’s a quick one-two clickbait punch, but it’s also like it was prepping and priming the £50m story. The first article seemed to profile and introduce McGinn to United readers, before they dropped the £50m headline bombshell a couple of hours later.

A lot of international United fans who would have had little interest in the Championship may have had no idea who McGinn was. Suddenly when the £50m story came a couple of hours later, after also watching some youtube clips of his Sheffield Wednesday wonder goal and play-off final winner, they would be self-proclaimed instant experts, as the internet allows people to be nowadays.

Naturally, it didn’t take much for The Sun to undermine its own creditability in their ‘journalism’, when they got the location mentioned in their first headline completely wrong.

Even McGinn had to step in himself to help correct the matter with a friendly retweet.

John McGinn

@jmcginn7
Benidorm* https://twitter.com/thesunfootball/status/1145036957627703296 …

The Sun Football ⚽

@TheSunFootball
Workaholic John McGinn is Villa fans' favourite who partied in Magaluf after promotion https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9401286/workaholic-mcginn-villa-magaluf-promotion-manchester-united/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=sunfootballtwitter&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1561832560 …

8:11 PM - Jun 29, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
727 people are talking about this
McGinn was never in Magaluf, he was in Benidorm with his family and friends.

It certainly brought back memories of The Sun reaching a new low when they infamously wrote a match report on a Villa game and got the opponents wrong throughout it.

Playing Away
If you didn’t think The Sun could wind up Villa fans any more, well, there was more to come today…

Apparently, 42% of Aston Villa away supporters have cheated on their partners when going to Villa away games.

With whom? Where? During the game?!

The source of this ‘story’? Some shonky betting site poll – must be true then.

Expect more offerings from The Sun in Media Muppets soon.

UTV

Callum_62
01-07-2019, 07:16 AM
So what they are saying is Mcginn is worth much more than £50 million [emoji6]

Barman Stanton
01-07-2019, 07:29 AM

United just bought that lad from Swansea for 18 million. Old Trafford wont be ranking SJM above that.

In the English transfer market McGinn is worth way more than 15 - 20M. You and others can laugh all you like but McGinn is worth what Villa say he is and what a team is willing to play. How on earth would Villa replace McGinn with 15M? They would never accept such a small fee for the driving force of their team.

Oscar T Grouch
01-07-2019, 07:34 AM
You are.Without doubt.

Nah he no.

Barney McGrew
01-07-2019, 07:50 AM
McGinn would be worth a huge amount to Man Utd off the park as much as on it.

Solskjaer has has a huge job on his hands there rooting out the social media superstars who are more interested in what baseball cap they’re wearing in their latest Instagram post than what they do on the park. A guy who gives 100% effort in every minute of every game, is loved by fans of every club he played for and who gives as much back away from match day is exactly what he needs to rebuild that club. And that’s before you look at the influence he has during games.

Many people laughed at how much Liverpool paid for Andy Robertson, but John is in exactly the same bracket and those two will hopefully now break the mould for more Scottish players in the future. For all the talent that a lot of young English players have, they just don’t seem to have the work ethic, drive and likeability that the young Scottish lads do.

£50m is chicken feed for that sort of player.

Hermit Crab
01-07-2019, 08:28 AM
You are.Without doubt.

Yep thats right, 1-5 mate.:smug:

Hermit Crab
01-07-2019, 08:29 AM
Nah he no.

:aok:

GloryGlory
01-07-2019, 08:47 AM
In the English transfer market McGinn is worth way more than 15 - 20M. You and others can laugh all you like but McGinn is worth what Villa say he is and what a team is willing to play. How on earth would Villa replace McGinn with 15M? They would never accept such a small fee for the driving force of their team.

:agree: Burnley asking £30M from Juventus for a 19 year old.

mjhibby
01-07-2019, 08:54 AM
What people think a player is worth and what clubs are daft enough to pay are two different entities. Although sjm hadn't played in the premier League he has been getting huge coverage in the English press and I'm sure there are quite a few clubs are well aware of his strengths and wesknesses. Is he worth £50m. Not in any sane world but if villa knocked backed only £10m less for grealish and since sjm won both the fans and the players player of the year then in the mad world that is the pl then anybody wanting to buy him would need to be offering enough to make it worthwhile for villa to let go and as many have said sjm is vital to them if the want to make a go of it in the pl. Having said that if villa finish midtable and sjm has a very good season then £50m might just be a starting offer. I'm sure sjm will want at least a season in the pl with villa anyway but come next summer then I think the rumour mill will go into overdrive.

Barman Stanton
01-07-2019, 08:57 AM

There seems to be a bit of reverse snobery with McGinn. He is only Scottish and ex Hibs so he cant be worth much. Anyone that watched Villa games last season (I watched more than I should have!) could see he was normally the best player on the park. And still improving.

mjhibby
01-07-2019, 09:03 AM
Also anybody who watched the highlights of villa games would see virtually every game he was praised to the hilt. He has the drive,determination and ambition to make it at the top and with that we will get a lovely sum to reinvest in the team. While that delights me nothing would please me more than to see mcginn running out in a utd or Liverpool top and be proud he wore our green and white strip. And if course be so smug in saying we told you so.

FilipinoHibs
01-07-2019, 09:10 AM
Also anybody who watched the highlights of villa games would see virtually every game he was praised to the hilt. He has the drive,determination and ambition to make it at the top and with that we will get a lovely sum to reinvest in the team. While that delights me nothing would please me more than to see mcginn running out in a utd or Liverpool top and be proud he wore our green and white strip. And if course be so smug in saying we told you so.

Yes the Jambos are bricking it that it is true and are in complete denial

MWHIBBIES
01-07-2019, 09:18 AM

That's not crazy, Burnley obviously want to keep him and it would take a silly fee to lose him. Its also not relevant to McGinn at all, other than the situations are similar.

Barman Stanton
01-07-2019, 09:26 AM
That's not crazy, Burnley obviously want to keep him and it would take a silly fee to lose him. Its also not relevant to McGinn at all, other than the situations are similar.

I would say its totally relevant to McGinn. It shows that the player is worth what the club decides he is worth. Plenty here saying no where near 50m. But if thats the amount it would take for Villa to sell then that's how much he is worth.

I still cant believe no one other than Villa or Celtic wanted McGinn when he was at Hibs. Shows how little our game is thought of down south.

BILLYHIBS
01-07-2019, 09:42 AM
Dwight McNeil (19) 22 appearances for Burnley 6 England U20s 30m bid allegedly

SJM (24) 228 senior appearances for St Mirren HIBS and Aston Villa 14 full Scotland Caps
Scottish League Cup, Scottish Cup, Scottish Championship, EPL play off winners, Aston Villa POTY 50m bid allegedly

Makes SJM look like a bargain at 50m

tried and tested

Simples

:dunno:

MWHIBBIES
01-07-2019, 09:58 AM
Dwight McNeil (19) 22 appearances for Burnley 6 England U20s 30m bid allegedly

SJM (24) 228 senior appearances for St Mirren HIBS and Aston Villa 14 full Scotland Caps
Scottish League Cup, Scottish Cup, Scottish Championship, EPL play off winners, Aston Villa POTY 50m bid allegedly

Makes SJM look like a bargain at 50m

tried and tested

Simples

:dunno:

Burnley want 30 million because they don't want to lose him. He isn't suddenly a 30 million pound player. Good fullbacks are also rarer at the top level than central midfielders these days.

Barman Stanton
01-07-2019, 10:06 AM
Burnley want 30 million because they don't want to lose him. He isn't suddenly a 30 million pound player. Good fullbacks are also rarer at the top level than central midfielders these days.

If Burnley want 30M for him then of course he is a 30M player. What else would make him a 30M player?

JimBHibees
01-07-2019, 10:06 AM
I can't believe this story. Villa wouldn't sell him on so quick for one thing.
And with respect to SJM Man Utd can scour the world for men in his position.

Yep they can scour the world and pay more than 50 million on duds like Fred.

Bottom line is Villa wont want to sell so it will take a large offer to even be considered by them they are in a strong bargaining position.

BILLYHIBS
01-07-2019, 10:07 AM

I get that!

I was just having a wee joke

McNeil is a winger or attacking midfielder