PDA

View Full Version : Fitzpatrick targeting top 6 again !!!

Wakeyhibee
29-06-2019, 03:05 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48812444

Does this guy ever learn? "Bigger than Dundee" !!!!

No harm in ambition over pure survival but keep it real

HoboHarry
29-06-2019, 03:11 PM
Don't think there is much wrong with his comments to be fair. That said I'll be a little surprised if they turned it around that quickly without substantial funds being available.....

Since452
29-06-2019, 03:20 PM
At least he's not saying top 4 anymore

J-C
29-06-2019, 03:28 PM
I think any team in the bottom 6 should always strive to make top 6 their main target, I'm sure Kilmarnock didn't expect the season they had, top 6 would have been the main goal.

Hibernian Verse
29-06-2019, 03:28 PM
He lives in a fantasy world. I'm all for ambition but he trots this out every year.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

HoboHarry
29-06-2019, 03:38 PM
He lives in a fantasy world. I'm all for ambition but he trots this out every year.

As do we for the top 3.....

where'stheslope
29-06-2019, 03:38 PM
That's tame their last manager said he could win this league???
Delusional or what!!!!

Aldo
29-06-2019, 03:42 PM
Nothing to see here!

Walloper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibernian Verse
29-06-2019, 03:46 PM
As do we for the top 3.....That's realistic. We were one place off that just over 12 months ago. When was the last time St Mirren in the top six? Or finished 7th?

Hibernian Verse
29-06-2019, 03:49 PM
That's realistic. We were one place off that just over 12 months ago. When was the last time St Mirren in the top six? Or finished 7th?

Sent from my SM-G950F using TapatalkI'll answer my own question for you. Never finished higher than 8th since the split was introduced.

Since452
29-06-2019, 03:55 PM

Thats realistic

DH1875
29-06-2019, 04:28 PM

Why would it be unrealistic for us to finish 3rd :confused:

Sammy7nil
29-06-2019, 04:59 PM
Why would it be unrealistic for us to finish 3rd :confused:

Because we are relegated more often then we finish third :confused: :rolleyes::greengrin

brianmc
29-06-2019, 05:11 PM
And I pump Kim Kardashian more often than St Mirren finish where Tony Fitzpatrick thinks they should 😂😂

*Only once more 😉

IncredibleHibee
29-06-2019, 05:19 PM
Clearly knows very little about Scottish football history if he genuinely thinks St Mirren are bigger than Dundee

1van Sprou7e
29-06-2019, 05:21 PM
Fitzpatrick is a great guy and is just showing some ambition

Sammy7nil
29-06-2019, 05:54 PM

Or he is a delude fanny :greengrin

brianmc
29-06-2019, 06:00 PM

He may or may not be a good guy - I don't know him.
What I do know is he often spouts absolute guff in the media whilst simultaneously overseeing a car crash of a club behind the scenes.

As an equivalent kind of "ambition" : if Leeann came out and said we're targeting the Champions League group stages next season would you class that as ambition or delusion?

1van Sprou7e
29-06-2019, 06:05 PM
He may or may not be a good guy - I don't know him.
What I do know is he often spouts absolute guff in the media whilst simultaneously overseeing a car crash of a club behind the scenes.

As an equivalent kind of "ambition" : if Leeann came out and said we're targeting the Champions League group stages next season would you class that as ambition or delusion?

Massive difference between st mirren finishing top 6 and us making the CL group stages.... He's not actually said anything wrong here

southsider
29-06-2019, 06:07 PM
Because we are relegated more often then we finish third :confused: :rolleyes::greengrin

The TT regularly finnished 2nd or 3rd.

DetroitHibs
29-06-2019, 06:11 PM
And I pump Kim Kardashian more often than St Mirren finish where Tony Fitzpatrick thinks they should 😂😂

*Only once more 😉

I’d settle for just pumping her Ma :whistle:

Sammy7nil
29-06-2019, 06:22 PM
The TT regularly finnished 2nd or 3rd.

Yeah I am 56 and can just about remember them. I can easily recall at least 3 delegations :rolleyes:

HoboHarry
29-06-2019, 06:39 PM
Yeah I am 56 and can just about remember them. I can easily recall at least 3 delegations :rolleyes:
Exactly Sammy. We've finished 3rd or better 10 times in the last 50 years and we had 4 years in a row in the 70's. That leaves 6 other occasions in 46 years - I hardly think we are in a position to be ridiculing St Mirren for aiming for a top 6 spot....

Wilson
29-06-2019, 06:40 PM
Massive difference between st mirren finishing top 6 and us making the CL group stages.... He's not actually said anything wrong here

He has. You have to look at it in context. St Mirren aren't a stable club. They've taken managers with relative success elsewhere and ruined their careers. Ian Murray was working miracles with Dumbarton. Stubbs a Scottish cup winner with hibs (how many hibs managers can claim that). Now Oran Kearney. Fitzpatrick has talked the same tripe all the way along.

If he started with a realistic expectation perhaps he wouldn't have to fire each manager so quickly. You build to where he wants to be not just talk nonsense about Leicester winning the Premier league. Survival first for St Mirren. Cut out the waffle Tony.

Eyrie
29-06-2019, 06:45 PM
I don't see any reason why St Mirren shouldn't regard that as an achievable target given time.

Whether it makes sense for them to do so for the coming season, with a new manager needing to overhaul the squad, is a separate matter.

Wilson
29-06-2019, 06:47 PM
Exactly Sammy. We've finished 3rd or better 10 times in the last 50 years and we had 4 years in a row in the 70's. That leaves 6 other occasions in 46 years - I hardly think we are in a position to be ridiculing St Mirren for aiming for a top 6 spot....

It was top 4 last season. He has revised his prediction. And did anyone actually read the linked article? He was on about aiming to win the league - referencing Leicester.

Top 6 is unlikely.Top 4 is a pipe dream. Talking about winning the league proves Fitzpatrick is a pure space cadet.

MWHIBBIES
29-06-2019, 06:49 PM
Leicester have alot to answer for. Became the go to justification for delusions of grandeur across the football world.

Sammy7nil
29-06-2019, 09:24 PM
It was top 4 last season. He has revised his prediction. And did anyone actually read the linked article? He was on about aiming to win the league - referencing Leicester.

Top 6 is unlikely.Top 4 is a pipe dream. Talking about winning the league proves Fitzpatrick is a pure space cadet.

I would be checking his medication if he thinks they can win the league. :wink:

Tarrahib
29-06-2019, 09:46 PM
Clearly knows very little about Scottish football history if he genuinely thinks St Mirren are bigger than Dundee
At this moment in time they are.

1875STEVE
29-06-2019, 10:49 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48812444

Does this guy ever learn? "Bigger than Dundee" !!!!

No harm in ambition over pure survival but keep it real

I don't think there's much wrong with that, outside of Hibs, Celtic, Rangers, Hearts and Aberdeen, I don't think there's much between any of the other clubs. it's do-able.

Steve20
30-06-2019, 07:04 AM
You’d think he’d said they could win the league or something.

Top 6 should be the aim for most clubs, including St Mirren. It’s hardly an impossible task.

hibeejeebies
30-06-2019, 08:06 AM

Top 6 should be the aim for most clubs, including St Mirren. It’s hardly an impossible task.

This.

Ronniekirk
30-06-2019, 08:17 AM
Don't think there is much wrong with his comments to be fair. That said I'll be a little surprised if they turned it around that quickly without substantial funds being available.....

He is like a broken record Just trots it out now It’s hollow and can’t be backed up I know a lot of. Buddies who are fed up hearing it
They haven’t signed a player and have no Manager All of their own making again after blaming Stubbs ( and he wasn’t blameless ) for all their woes
He was saying top four for the last few seasons so st least he has tempered his ambition
The last time they were in the top four was when he was a Player
We don’t achieve it that often as a Club and it does irk me that we underachieve

Time will tell where the Saints finish But at present they are reimbursed g fans who paid for Collraine Tickets as they have cancelled that friendly given the debacle with the Manager

oneone73
30-06-2019, 08:52 AM
He is like a broken record Just trots it out now It’s hollow and can’t be backed up I know a lot of. Buddies who are fed up hearing it
They haven’t signed a player and have no Manager All of their own making again after blaming Stubbs ( and he wasn’t blameless ) for all their woes
He was saying top four for the last few seasons so st least he has tempered his ambition
The last time they were in the top four was when he was a Player
We don’t achieve it that often as a Club and it does irk me that we underachieve

Time will tell where the Saints finish But at present they are reimbursed g fans who paid for Collraine Tickets as they have cancelled that friendly given the debacle with the Manager

They do have a manager, potentially a very good one. Sixth is a good target for them.

Wilson
30-06-2019, 08:54 AM

St Mirren will not finish top six this season.

Eyrie
30-06-2019, 09:46 AM
St Mirren will not finish top six this season.

Agreed, but a solid eighth or ninth provides a platform for them to target top six the following season.

Their biggest problem is that faced by most clubs - locals deserting to glory hunt with an Ugly Sister.

Iggy Pope
30-06-2019, 02:01 PM
He was a splendid footballer in his day though in a St Mirren side we found difficult to play against . He’s not right about St Mirren being bigger than Dundee but he’s getting behind his team and there’s not much to dislike about that.

Ronniekirk
30-06-2019, 05:55 PM
They do have a manager, potentially a very good one. Sixth is a good target for them.

Who is the Manager must of missed the announcement

oneone73
30-06-2019, 05:56 PM
Who is the Manager must of missed the announcement

Jim Goodwin. Three-year contract.

Ronniekirk
30-06-2019, 05:58 PM

Cheers have been out and about so must of missed that He was the name being quoted so no real surprise

Tarrahib
01-07-2019, 07:36 AM
I remember the game in Paisley when SJM and Hendo tore Goodwin a new one. In the end he was kicking out at fresh air. I think it was probably SJM's first game back at Paisley after his move to us.

GloryGlory
01-07-2019, 08:48 AM

:agree: Nowt wrong with people aspiring to improve themselves and their club. We need a more competitive league.