PDA

View Full Version : Glastonbury

Mr Grieves
28-06-2019, 10:06 PM
Every year I whinge like **** about how much coverage the BBC give this.... and every year I end up watching an obscene amount of the coverage :greengrin

Anybody I should be looking out for on the I player?

Idles were immense earlier, I doubt their set will be topped this weekend. Interpol were pretty boring, so I'm now enjoying Jon Hopkins

bigwheel
28-06-2019, 10:21 PM
Stormzy is flying on this stage just now. Started slow , but top quality performance now [emoji119]

bigwheel
28-06-2019, 10:34 PM
Right up there as the greatest set I’ve ever watched at Glastonbury. Absolutely outstanding #stormzy [emoji119][emoji91]

easty
28-06-2019, 10:36 PM
Tame Impala on BBC4 have been really good.

Would rather watch repeats of Judge Judy than stick on Stormzy on BBC1.

bigwheel
28-06-2019, 10:38 PM
Tame Impala on BBC4 have been really good.

Would rather watch repeats of Judge Judy than stick on Stormzy on BBC1.

Pffft. Can’t imagine you’d say that had you been watching. Not my genre of music. But incredible..In awe. Feels like a historic performance

Mr Grieves
28-06-2019, 10:40 PM
I like hip hop but have always struggled to get into British rap, Loyle Carner and Kate tempest being the exception. Stormzy is not for me.

Pretty Boy
28-06-2019, 10:49 PM
I've always enjoyed British hip hop but Stormzy does nothing for me either.

He's undoubtedly putting on a bit of a show but musically I could take or leave it.

patch1875
28-06-2019, 10:55 PM
I like hip hop but have always struggled to get into British rap, Loyle Carner and Kate tempest being the exception. Stormzy is not for me.

Also never really enjoyed it but got into Ghostpoet which in turn got me into Roots Manuva both are worth checking out.

bigwheel
28-06-2019, 11:08 PM
I’m a big soul and hip hop fan, never really got UK Grime at all - but regardless of music persuasion , imho that was an epic and iconic set - stunning quality performance - huge respect ✊️

Mr Grieves
28-06-2019, 11:54 PM
I’m a big soul and hip hop fan, never really got UK Grime at all - but regardless of music persuasion , imho that was an epic and iconic set - stunning quality performance - huge respect ✊️

He's popular, no qualms with him headlining. He seems like a decent lad :aok:

Nice to see Mark Radclife back on BBC Tv after recovering from cancer. Radcliffe and Maconie on 6 music was the highlight of my working day until they changed the schedule.

bigwheel
29-06-2019, 12:07 AM
He's popular, no qualms with him headlining. He seems like a decent lad :aok:

Nice to see Mark Radclife back on BBC Tv after recovering from cancer. Radcliffe and Maconie on 6 music was the highlight of my working day until they changed the schedule.

They are top musos. No doubt about that

Mr Grieves
29-06-2019, 12:24 AM
Fontaines Dc :aok:

Mr Grieves
29-06-2019, 12:28 AM
Also never really enjoyed it but got into Ghostpoet which in turn got me into Roots Manuva both are worth checking out.

Yep, I'm talking ***** and being overly dismissive. I like a bit of ghost poet and scroobius pip. Others will come to mind when I'm sober..

blackpoolhibs
29-06-2019, 09:37 AM
Stormzy is flying on this stage just now. Started slow , but top quality performance now [emoji119]

Right up there as the greatest set I’ve ever watched at Glastonbury. Absolutely outstanding #stormzy [emoji119][emoji91]

Pffft. Can’t imagine you’d say that had you been watching. Not my genre of music. But incredible..In awe. Feels like a historic performance

Iv'e turned into my dad, if that is music then i'm taking up knitting? :wink::greengrin

bigwheel
29-06-2019, 10:02 AM
Iv'e turned into my dad, if that is music then i'm taking up knitting? :wink::greengrin

lol. that could be true

Did you actually watch it, then have a view? that is, the whole show - or did you click on for a few minutes and turn over....

I can't imagine any music fan not respecting the quality of the performance - regardless of their tastes - it was THAT good..

blackpoolhibs
29-06-2019, 10:31 AM
lol. that could be true

Did you actually watch it, then have a view? that is, the whole show - or did you click on for a few minutes and turn over....

I can't imagine any music fan not respecting the quality of the performance - regardless of their tastes - it was THAT good..

I watched about 7 or 8 minutes this morning, i just dont get it? :greengrin

Hiber-nation
29-06-2019, 10:35 AM

You're not the only one. I'm running out of music these days but trying to attempt to get into that stuff would finish me off :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
29-06-2019, 10:50 AM
You're not the only one. I'm running out of music these days but trying to attempt to get into that stuff would finish me off :greengrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehVMflY2tI0 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehVMflY2tI0)

This finished me off with modern culture. :wink:

bigwheel
29-06-2019, 11:12 AM

Fair enough.....different strokes and all that ..

If you had stuck With it , you would have seen him go on a journey through different tempo, genre and moods..was (for the novice grime listener) an incredible performance. Didn’t connect with his stuff beforehand, was a bit iffy for first 10 mins or so, then ended up in awe...

blackpoolhibs
29-06-2019, 11:18 AM

If you had stuck With it , you would have seen him go on a journey through different tempo, genre and moods..was (for the novice grime listener) an incredible performance. Didn’t connect with his stuff beforehand, was a bit iffy for first 10 mins or so, then ended up in awe...

No worries :agree:, music is what each individual makes of it, its not for me, but what i like may not be for others. :greengrin

Smartie
29-06-2019, 11:19 AM
I remember watching the Beastie Boys on the telly at Glastonbury about 25-30 years ago with a sense of awe - it was what got me into them.

My Dad came into the room and asked if their equipment was broken.

As a general rule, the more my Dad hates music the better it is.

If I like modern music then they must be doing it wrong.

Zazu62
29-06-2019, 01:23 PM
Watch the Idles set. Madness

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-06-2019, 01:42 PM
No worries :agree:, music is what each individual makes of it, its not for me, but what i like may not be for others. :greengrin

Aye, that's true. 🔇

easty
29-06-2019, 04:26 PM
Lewis Capaldi going on stage is excellent

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzTIyzpHfro/?igshid=1q2n0g8rhlulp

Killiehibbie
29-06-2019, 04:26 PM

A couple of them were passable but most of it just a rabble.

yonder1875
29-06-2019, 04:31 PM
Amazing stuff from Lewis Capaldi for his entrance, what a funny guy he is.

hibsbollah
29-06-2019, 04:35 PM
Fontaines Dc :aok:

Loving them.

Mr Grieves
29-06-2019, 04:54 PM
Lewis Capaldi going on stage is excellent

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzTIyzpHfro/?igshid=1q2n0g8rhlulp

:hilarious

bringbackbenny
29-06-2019, 06:34 PM
Watch the Idles set. Madness

And top lads as well. Looking forward to the Barras in December, been wanting to see them live for ages.

nellio
29-06-2019, 06:37 PM
Was trying to find the proclaimers from this morning but can't find it anywhere.

Mr Grieves
29-06-2019, 06:51 PM
And top lads as well. Looking forward to the Barras in December, been wanting to see them live for ages.

I saw them at the QMU last year, you're in for a treat.

Mon Dieu4
29-06-2019, 07:30 PM
Was trying to find the proclaimers from this morning but can't find it anywhere.

The BBC seem to have a weird way of selecting who goes on TV, no Proclaimers, I'm not a fan of his but Gerry Cinnamon sells out everywhere in Europe and also gets no TV time, yet they put on folk you have never even heard of

They better have the Wu Tang on later

Mr Grieves
29-06-2019, 07:48 PM
Janet Jackson partly lip syncing badly, partly singing out of tune and partly inaudible.

Awful.

bringbackbenny
29-06-2019, 08:02 PM
I saw them at the QMU last year, you're in for a treat.

Yup :)

Greentinted
29-06-2019, 08:33 PM
Just caught up with the Stormzy set. Not normally an artist I’d pay attention to but having read a lot of good things said about this performance I gave it a burl.
Fair play to the boy, excellent in every way.
(Does this qualify me as an honorary young punter? 😁)

Hiber-nation
29-06-2019, 08:41 PM
Give up Liam, that's horrendous.

lord bunberry
29-06-2019, 08:55 PM
The killers on now, proper band.

Onceinawhile
29-06-2019, 09:04 PM
The BBC seem to have a weird way of selecting who goes on TV, no Proclaimers, I'm not a fan of his but Gerry Cinnamon sells out everywhere in Europe and also gets no TV time, yet they put on folk you have never even heard of

On BBC 4 soon though chemical brothers are also on.

Mental that stormzy with his 1 album is headlining the main stage ahead of wu tang.

Buzzing for the wu though.

yonder1875
29-06-2019, 09:12 PM
Killers are very underwhelming.

The Modfather
29-06-2019, 09:24 PM

I flicked over for a couple of minutes earlier and it was the Killers. No idea what the song was but he was so out of tune it was painful.

Mr Grieves
29-06-2019, 09:46 PM

They're on but only half of Wu tang have turned up.

MagicSwirlingShip
29-06-2019, 09:47 PM

Absolutely, nope. They do my nut in

lord bunberry
29-06-2019, 09:49 PM
Absolutely, nope. They do my nut in
Oh come on man they’re quality.

lord bunberry
29-06-2019, 09:50 PM
I flicked over for a couple of minutes earlier and it was the Killers. No idea what the song was but he was so out of tune it was painful.
I’m tone deaf so it’s cool.

lord bunberry
29-06-2019, 09:51 PM
Killers are very underwhelming.
They’re just getting warmed up for the big finish.

Mon Dieu4
29-06-2019, 09:52 PM

Aye I'm watching, must have got stopped at customs :greengrin

stoneyburn hibs
29-06-2019, 10:05 PM
Maybe I'm getting old but a lot of the main acts are as dull as dishwater. Is that really what kids like nowadays?

There's nothing that would have your mother shouting "turn that down".

Hiber-nation
29-06-2019, 10:28 PM
Maybe I'm getting old but a lot of the main acts are as dull as dishwater. Is that really what kids like nowadays?

There's nothing that would have your mother shouting "turn that down".

Definitely. There were loads of similar acts on the highlights programme today who were so bland... Lewis Capaldi, Tom Odell, Hozier (?) etc. Mind numbing and would be more at home on Radio One's big weekend, if such a thing still exists.

Jones28
29-06-2019, 10:41 PM
Give up Liam, that's horrendous.

He was awful

Frazerbob
29-06-2019, 11:28 PM
Killers were phenomenal. What an encore!

J-C
30-06-2019, 05:21 AM
Watched some last night, mostly all sh ite. Liam Gallagher? How has he made a career out of being a talentless Manc with severe anger issues. Killers are awful, I thought he had a distinctive voice but could've been anyone on that stage. Charlatans were average but stuck in an era, that stupid friggin hairdo? Lewis Capaldi was really good, love his humour. Limineers, the Wombats and Tame Impala were pretty good but again I'm always disappointed with what it offers in general, too many overrated bands.

Frazerbob
30-06-2019, 08:11 AM
Watched some last night, mostly all sh ite. Liam Gallagher? How has he made a career out of being a talentless Manc with severe anger issues. Killers are awful, I thought he had a distinctive voice but could've been anyone on that stage. Charlatans were average but stuck in an era, that stupid friggin hairdo? Lewis Capaldi was really good, love his humour. Limineers, the Wombats and Tame Impala were pretty good but again I'm always disappointed with what it offers in general, too many overrated bands.

Liam did the Oasis stuff ok, good fun sing along. His own stuff is awful though. Just dreadful. He has a team of writers behind him, they need to sacked.

I genuinely don’t get the criticism of the Killers set. To me that was exactly how you play a festival. Hit after hit, big start into three of their biggest songs, no self indulgence. That’s why they should book bands outwith their regular touring cycle so their not promoting an album. The encore was brilliant. Bringing out the PSB’s and Marr was genius. I was worried Liam was coming on too as he’s good pals with Flowers! Stormzy on Friday I just didn’t get, Killers nailed it.

Hiber-nation
30-06-2019, 09:12 AM
Liam did the Oasis stuff ok, good fun sing along. His own stuff is awful though. Just dreadful. He has a team of writers behind him, they need to sacked.

I genuinely don’t get the criticism of the Killers set. To me that was exactly how you play a festival. Hit after hit, big start into three of their biggest songs, no self indulgence. That’s why they should book bands outwith their regular touring cycle so their not promoting an album. The encore was brilliant. Bringing out the PSB’s and Marr was genius. I was worried Liam was coming on too as he’s good pals with Flowers! Stormzy on Friday I just didn’t get, Killers nailed it.

I only like about half of the Killers first album and very little else and I had to leave the room when that godawful Human song came on but I thought they were excellent at doing what they do. Although for me the end bit with the Pet Shop Boys was embarrassing karaoke!

Frazerbob
30-06-2019, 10:33 AM
I only like about half of the Killers first album and very little else and I had to leave the room when that godawful Human song came on but I thought they were excellent at doing what they do. Although for me the end bit with the Pet Shop Boys was embarrassing karaoke!

TBF, if you’re not a fan of a band the likelihood is you won’t like their gig. I though the PSB thing was genius. They always cover a local artist when they gig (Simple Minds in Glasgow last year, The Alarm in Cardiff on Friday) and we knew they had some guests lined up. They collaborated with the PSB’s on the original single so made sense. Canny believe I never predicted it.

Frazerbob
30-06-2019, 10:58 AM
Interested to see what happens with the Cure tonight. Good chance they’ll bore the crowd to sleep. Last time they headlined they played 13 B sides and album tracks in their 21 song set. Now that’s how not to play a festival!

SteveHFC
30-06-2019, 12:36 PM
Killers were phenomenal. What an encore!

:agree:

Still one of my favourite bands.

J-C
30-06-2019, 02:44 PM

I hear what you're saying, I'm no huge fan of the Killers but I thought he sounded bang average, would never thought it was Brandon on stage, each to their own I suppose, Glastonbury has never done it for me TBH.

Jones28
30-06-2019, 03:25 PM
Watching Gerry Cinnamon now, he's absolutely killing it.

Hiber-nation
30-06-2019, 09:24 PM
The Cure on top form!

Frazerbob
30-06-2019, 09:31 PM
Watching Gerry Cinnamon now, he's absolutely killing it.

I jumped on the Gerry bandwagon a few years ago after seeing him open the King Tutt’s Tent at TITP. Seen him 5 or 6 times since. Have to say though, the novelty is wearing off. Just watched his Glasto set and it’s getting boring. Basically the exact same set for 3 or 4 years now. He needs to kick on soon.

patch1875
30-06-2019, 09:41 PM
The Cure on top form!

Agreed pretty immense tonight.

Danderhall Hibs
30-06-2019, 09:49 PM
The Cure didn’t draw me in - first few songs were dull.

I can’t stand the self indulgence from Bowman, Whiley et al, “Glastonbury is great, it’s so good, only at Glastonbury would that happen”. Cringey. Get them to...

MSK
30-06-2019, 09:51 PM
Agreed pretty immense tonight.Loving the Cure so far, saw them way back in the early 80s at the Playhouse

J-C
30-06-2019, 10:00 PM
Wasnt a big Cure fan in the day but they've been the best band at Glastonbury all weekend, they sound exactly as I remember them.

Hiber-nation
30-06-2019, 10:04 PM
Wasnt a big Cure fan in the day but they've been the best band at Glastonbury all weekend, they sound exactly as I remember them.

I'm the same, The Top was the last Cure album I bought but I think I'll need to have a wee listen through some of their back catalogue.

matty_f
01-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Chemical Brothers were very good, got a few other sets downloaded to watch later. I like the Glastonbury coverage, but I agree that everyone disappears up their own backside when presenting it.

Onceinawhile
03-07-2019, 04:34 PM

6/9ths and nobody really misses u-god 😂

Watched the streets, they were OK in bits, but I reckon Mike skinner was tripping as he was concentrating on talking ***** rather than performing.

MagicSwirlingShip
04-07-2019, 04:34 AM
Chemical Brothers were very good, got a few other sets downloaded to watch later. I like the Glastonbury coverage, but I agree that everyone disappears up their own backside when presenting it.

Probably the best live Dance act around. The visuals and show they put together is Jaw dropping. Still getting over the Clowns from Rockness 2011.