PDA

View Full Version : Stevenson Calf Injury - will miss pre season

SteveHFC
28-06-2019, 04:24 PM
According to the Hibs Talk podcast: https://twitter.com/HFCTalk/status/1144577001942130689?s=20

Time for Mackie to be given a run?

CapitalGreen
28-06-2019, 04:28 PM
According to the Hibs Talk podcast: https://twitter.com/HFCTalk/status/1144577001942130689?s=20

It would be a great opportunity for Mackie to stake a claim for the position permanently. If we start the season well we have seen Hecky doesn’t tinker much with a winning team.

04Sauzee
28-06-2019, 04:29 PM

That's a pisser

Since452
28-06-2019, 04:36 PM
Massive opportunity for someone. Stevenson rarely misses a game. I bet Nelom is sitting somewhere with his head in his hands

weecounty hibby
28-06-2019, 04:38 PM
Typical of Lewis. Gets any injuries out of the way at preseason so that he doesn't miss any important games. Legend

Billy Whizz
28-06-2019, 04:41 PM
It would be a great opportunity for Mackie to stake a claim for the position permanently. If we start the season well we have seen Hecky doesn’t tinker much with a winning team.

Also think Jones can play left back, or he may give Mackie a chance
Long hard season, why we need a decent sized squad

SMAXXA
28-06-2019, 04:59 PM
Massive opportunity for someone. Stevenson rarely misses a game. I bet Nelom is sitting somewhere with his head in his hands

Is he still here?

scoopyboy
28-06-2019, 05:05 PM
Barring injury Sean Mackie is a certainty to get first chance to replace Lewis.

B.H.F.C
28-06-2019, 05:07 PM

Will certainly get a run out in the league cup. But they made a big thing of James’s versatility when signing him.

Hibeewilly
28-06-2019, 06:41 PM
I would doubt that.....I don't think Hecky rates Mackie and I think he's well off the first team as well. The new lad James can play right across the back four including left back so I would think he'll take Stevensons place if need be.....just an opinion though

HibbyAndy
28-06-2019, 06:46 PM

He won't replace him , Just covering Lewis

Can't say i'm overly impressed with Mackie when he replaced Lewis last time around , Sent in a good ball to Flo against Celtc but apart from that , Bit meh from me

Billy Whizz
28-06-2019, 06:51 PM
I would doubt that.....I don't think Hecky rates Mackie and I think he's well off the first team as well. The new lad James can play right across the back four including left back so I would think he'll take Stevensons place if need be.....just an opinion though

Willy, he’s been playing much further forward of late, think that’s where he’s most effective

Eyrie
28-06-2019, 06:52 PM
Stevenson is merely human? :eek:

Interesting to see if it's James or Mackie that fills in.

Hibee Mac
28-06-2019, 06:57 PM
Will be intrigued to see what happens here. Probably doesn't justify signing a left back. Will Mackie step up or James to fill in?

A shame as it would be good to have our settled back 4 have a full pre-season in them, we might not see Stevenson till Oct/Nov.

Since452
28-06-2019, 07:12 PM

Thats a pitty. I really rate Mackie but I'm not a professional football manager so trust Hecky if he doesn't fancy him.

Billy Whizz
28-06-2019, 07:13 PM
Thats a pitty. I really rate Mackie but I'm not a professional manager so trust Hecky if he doesn't fancy him.

Sean’s only 20, plenty of time for him

Since452
28-06-2019, 07:16 PM

True. I think he's got something about him

B.H.F.C
28-06-2019, 07:16 PM

Disagree there is plenty time. Got to be this season if he wants to be our left back IMO.

Billy Whizz
28-06-2019, 07:18 PM
Disagree there is plenty time. Got to be this season if he wants to be our left back IMO.

Read above, he’s going to play a bit further forward, Sean’s much better going forward

B.H.F.C
28-06-2019, 07:24 PM
Read above, he’s going to play a bit further forward, Sean’s much better going forward

Even less chance of getting in the team then. Newell and Horgan will be in front of him on the left. Unless he’s going to play in the middle of the park but can’t see that.

Since452
28-06-2019, 07:30 PM

How old was Stevenson when he became our first choice LB? Not being funny just can't remember. Must have been after Murph left?

B.H.F.C
28-06-2019, 07:33 PM
How old was Stevenson when he became our first choice LB? Not being funny just can't remember. Must have been after Murph left?

Probably in our first season in the championship. He’d been man of the match in the middle of the park in a cup final at 19, years before that though.

1875Sean
28-06-2019, 07:36 PM
Will be intrigued to see what happens here. Probably doesn't justify signing a left back. Will Mackie step up or James to fill in?

A shame as it would be good to have our settled back 4 have a full pre-season in them, we might not see Stevenson till Oct/Nov.

Missing pre season to out until Oct/Nov is a bit of a jump

Pretty Boy
28-06-2019, 07:37 PM
I still think we will utilise 352 on occasion this season.

We have 4 1st team CB and a lot of emphasis has been placed on James being able to get up and down the park and offer an attacking threat. Add to that the belief Mackie will be used further forward as well. It may not be our go to formation but I reckon we will see it used. If Stevenson is out pre season it may be tried a few times then as it will suit Mackie better than a conventional 4 at the back.

Billy Whizz
28-06-2019, 07:45 PM

Don’t think Hecky said that

Jack Hackett
28-06-2019, 07:55 PM
Probably in our first season in the championship. He’d been man of the match in the middle of the park in a cup final at 19, years before that though.

Looked at his stats on his Wikipedia page on the back of that. Doesn't indicate where he played, but he had a big jump in game time after Murph left. Took a big dip under Yogi, but bounced back a couple of years later to feature in most games.

360 games and only 6 goals... boy's obviously not pulling his weight :greengrin

F*****g Legend btw! :not worth

HibbyKeith
28-06-2019, 08:10 PM
Don’t think Hecky said that

"Louie's got injured, which is a blow for him we're upset for him, he's torn his calf so hes going to miss the majority of pre season which is not ideal but these things happen, It could happen at any time I suppose if its going to happen its better to happen now when hes not missing all the competitive games and we'll get him back as soon as we can."

lord bunberry
28-06-2019, 08:49 PM
I’m a bit dismayed to read that Hecky doesn’t fancy Mackie as a player. I think he exactly what we need, a real swashbuckling left back that has an eye for a pass. He reminds me of David Murphy.

CapitalGreen
28-06-2019, 08:53 PM
I’m a bit dismayed to read that Hecky doesn’t fancy Mackie as a player. I think he exactly what we need, a real swashbuckling left back that has an eye for a pass. He reminds me of David Murphy.

Where did you read Hecky saying that? Backroom member of staff I spoke to believed he would play a bigger part this season and rated him as our next big youth product to feature heavily in the first team.

calumhibee1
28-06-2019, 08:57 PM
Wouldn’t be surprised to see him fit for the first game of the league season. He’s so naturally fit anyway that missing pre season won’t hamper him nearly as much as it would others.

lord bunberry
28-06-2019, 08:58 PM
Where did you read Hecky saying that? Backroom member of staff I spoke to believed he would play a bigger part this season and rated him as our next big youth product to feature heavily in the first team.

Earlier in this thread.

Gmack7
28-06-2019, 09:02 PM
He won't replace him , Just covering Lewis

Can't say i'm overly impressed with Mackie when he replaced Lewis last time around , Sent in a good ball to Flo against Celtc but apart from that , Bit meh from me

and a worldy cross for Daz to score at ipox

CapitalGreen
28-06-2019, 09:08 PM
Earlier in this thread.

I’ve had a re-read of the thread and can’t see any quotes from Hecky, think it’s just someone’s opinion.

Unseen work
28-06-2019, 09:16 PM
Mackie has definitely impressed me, think he has a lot of technical ability and the physicality to go with it.

Debut season and has played well whenever called upon, doesn’t just play it safe either.

Jonnyboy
28-06-2019, 09:19 PM

Out of curiosity, what makes you think that?

scoopyboy
28-06-2019, 09:21 PM
and a worldy cross for Daz to score at ipox

conveniently ignored that comment eh.

Two great assists against the old firm, a lot of players haven't managed that in their careers never mind in the same month.

bigwheel
28-06-2019, 09:22 PM

Tbh. I suspect that’s right too - never featured really. Had a stinker at parkhead with stockdale watching in the stand just before they joined ...

Will need a very good pre season to get in the mix ...I think he has a wand of a left foot, but don’t see much in his defensive game to make him a likely first team regular

Jonnyboy
28-06-2019, 09:22 PM
conveniently ignored that comment eh.

Two great assists against the old firm, a lot of players haven't managed that in their careers never mind in the same month.

:greengrin :aok:

scoopyboy
28-06-2019, 09:24 PM

Eagerly waiting the reply to that JC.

My info is he well rates him and you can bet your last pound that a left back isn't signed in this window

bigwheel
28-06-2019, 09:27 PM
Eagerly waiting the reply to that JC.

My info is he well rates him and you can bet your last pound that a left back isn't signed in this window

Well, I suspect you have contacts that I don’t have - for me, not done anything defensively to suggest he will make it..but what do I know - probably play 30 games next season ! [emoji2]

Hibee Mac
28-06-2019, 09:28 PM

Not that much of a jump tbh. Season starts in August, even assuming Stevenson is back on the training ground first day of the season he will have had no preseason at all and will take a while to get up to the level he would have been at had he not been injured.

That's all assuming there are not hiccups in his recovery.

scoopyboy
28-06-2019, 09:32 PM
Well, I suspect you have contacts that I don’t have - for me, not done anything defensively to suggest he will make it..but what do I know - probably play 30 games next season ! [emoji2]

I'm not saying he will prove to be the real deal. I am merely saying he will be given the chance to prove his worth.

bigwheel
28-06-2019, 09:42 PM
I'm not saying he will prove to be the real deal. I am merely saying he will be given the chance to prove his worth.

He didn’t really get a sniff for the last 12 games or so...I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t fancy him ....but he certainly has that amazing left peg. So improve defensively and he may indeed get a chance ...

Borderhibbie76
28-06-2019, 09:43 PM
Not that much of a jump tbh. Season starts in August, even assuming Stevenson is back on the training ground first day of the season he will have had no preseason at all and will take a while to get up to the level he would have been at had he not been injured.

That's all assuming there are not hiccups in his recovery.Lewy is a very fit lad...it wont take him long to get up to speed

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Smartie
28-06-2019, 09:44 PM
I still think we will utilise 352 on occasion this season.

We have 4 1st team CB and a lot of emphasis has been placed on James being able to get up and down the park and offer an attacking threat. Add to that the belief Mackie will be used further forward as well. It may not be our go to formation but I reckon we will see it used. If Stevenson is out pre season it may be tried a few times then as it will suit Mackie better than a conventional 4 at the back.

What makes you think that?

I thought PH was meant to be a rigid 4 at the back and nothing else man?

FWIW I agree with you that our players suit 3 at the back and WBs.

HFC93
28-06-2019, 09:50 PM
Great opportunity for Mackie. He has done well when called upon

scoopyboy
28-06-2019, 09:57 PM
He didn’t really get a sniff for the last 12 games or so...I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t fancy him ....but he certainly has that amazing left peg. So improve defensively and he may indeed get a chance ...

To be fair I think most young full backs leave a lot to be desired defensively and tend to build their reputations on attacking displays, experience makes them better defenders.

I will give you a prime example in my opinion, Kieran Tierney may well get his big move to English football but I think he will be found out defensively. he will be shown to be a poor second to Andy Robertson.

S4uzee
28-06-2019, 10:00 PM
If you could give Lewis Mackies technique/delivery what a player you would have

1875Sean
28-06-2019, 10:14 PM

That's all assuming there are not hiccups in his recovery.

Very much doubt if he was fit in August it would take him until Oct to get up to speed! Just wanted to know if it said he was ruled out that long, good nothing like that is quoted

Mr Grieves
28-06-2019, 10:35 PM

Good. I liked watching youngsters like Mackie, Porteous and Murray stepping up last season

Stantons Angel
28-06-2019, 10:47 PM
Wouldn’t be surprised to see him fit for the first game of the league season. He’s so naturally fit anyway that missing pre season won’t hamper him nearly as much as it would others.

Very true, he will be back fit and full of running, needless talk of who is going to replace him.

You can but try but Lewis will be back dont worry!

lord bunberry
28-06-2019, 11:11 PM
I’ve had a re-read of the thread and can’t see any quotes from Hecky, think it’s just someone’s opinion.
Hopefully mate as I rate him.

lord bunberry
28-06-2019, 11:17 PM
To be fair I think most young full backs leave a lot to be desired defensively and tend to build their reputations on attacking displays, experience makes them better defenders.

I will give you a prime example in my opinion, Kieran Tierney may well get his big move to English football but I think he will be found out defensively. he will be shown to be a poor second to Andy Robertson.
I have to disagree with you there Scoopy. I think Tierney is a top quality player. The only thing holding him back is staying with Celtic, he might take a bit of time to adjust, but he could be every bit as successful as Robertson as he has the talent, he needs to leave Celtic to prove it. He should bypass England and go to a German club imo.

MWHIBBIES
28-06-2019, 11:17 PM
If you could give Lewis Mackies technique/delivery what a player you would have

Mackie's delivery isn't really any better than Lewis from what I've seen. I guess those old firm assists are what its based on but Lewis does things like that quite often.

Unseen work
29-06-2019, 01:22 AM
Heckingbottom barely changed his team as we were on a very good run and then battling for top 6 etc.

He is quite clear that he wants players to fully understand their role and is big on tactics. Having a pre season under his belt he will learn a hell of a lot and know exactly what he expects.

Id be surprised if he doesn’t have a good future with us. I also think folk need to give Shaw a bit more credit too.

JimBHibees
29-06-2019, 06:29 AM
Mackie has definitely impressed me, think he has a lot of technical ability and the physicality to go with it.

Debut season and has played well whenever called upon, doesn’t just play it safe either.

Agree with this showed enough in the small opportunities he had to suggest a talent there. He would have competition though if James can play across the back 4 so up to Sean to be flying at start of the season to make the most of the chance.

stoneyburn hibs
29-06-2019, 07:26 AM
When is the last time Lewis never started a season? I can't remember.

brog
29-06-2019, 07:36 AM
I hope Sean gets his chance but as we've just signed 3 players who can play in a back 3/5 then it wouldn't surprise me to see us have 3 CB's & James/Gray & Newell as wing backs. Only problem is that games against Elgin & Arbroath don't really require 3 CB's & don't properly prepare you for the bigger challenges to come.

JXM73
29-06-2019, 07:42 AM
Can we no just sign another nobody fae lower leagues down south?

CapitalGreen
29-06-2019, 07:48 AM
I hope Sean gets his chance but as we've just signed 3 players who can play in a back 3/5 then it wouldn't surprise me to see us have 3 CB's & James/Gray & Newell as wing backs. Only problem is that games against Elgin & Arbroath don't really require 3 CB's & don't properly prepare you for the bigger challenges to come.

None of the new signings are recognised left backs/wing backs though. I’d be surprised to see Newell used as a left wing back considering the main criticism from Rotherham fans was his poor defensive abilities and sometimes reluctance to track back.

CapitalGreen
29-06-2019, 07:50 AM

Like a Rob Jones or David Gray? Good production line of cup winning captains in the lower leagues down south.

Brightside
29-06-2019, 07:51 AM
None of the new signings are recognised left backs/wing backs though. I’d be surprised to see Newell used as a left wing back considering the main criticism from Rotherham fans was his poor defensive abilities and sometimes reluctance to track back.

Horgan would play there in a 352. Boyle other side. It would be very attacking but I’d love it against the lesser sides like hearts etc.

Paisley Hibby
29-06-2019, 07:57 AM

🙄

Heisenberg
29-06-2019, 08:01 AM

David Gray, Liam Fontaine, Marvin Bartley, Daryl Horgan, Conrad Logan were all “lower league nobodies” and have done ok for us.

We signed a left back with champions league experience last season. How did that go?

Aberdeen have had a few “lower league nobodies” from the English leagues in their team in recent seasons and have done ok.

JimBHibees
29-06-2019, 08:16 AM
Mackie's delivery isn't really any better than Lewis from what I've seen. I guess those old firm assists are what its based on but Lewis does things like that quite often.

not sure I would agree with that if there is one area Lewis could improve it is imo crossing.

Brooster
29-06-2019, 08:25 AM
Sean has been excellent for the 20s and has performed well in the first team. The next stage of his development is getting a chance of more game time. He deserves that chance.

delbert
29-06-2019, 08:25 AM

If Nelom was still here, we would all have our heads in our hands, he was a guiser every time I saw him in the reserve side and that was pretty much every game !

MWHIBBIES
29-06-2019, 08:28 AM
not sure I would agree with that if there is one area Lewis could improve it is imo crossing.

Disagree. Lewis could improve his attacking play in general, quick ones twos, beating a man, being quicker and more decisive in possession, making a run to the back post like Gray does. His crossing is actually good, it's his slowing and turning back that often ruins our play. A large part of that was actually not having McGeouch/Fyvie in the middle for a pass though.

Hibeewilly
29-06-2019, 08:31 AM
I just feel that Hecky had opportunities to play him but decided not to that's what made me form that opinion. I hope he forces his way into contention but don't see it any time soon. I hope he does though as he has a great left foot on him which would be a great asset to the side.

MWHIBBIES
29-06-2019, 08:49 AM
I just feel that Hecky had opportunities to play him but decided not to that's what made me form that opinion. I hope he forces his way into contention but don't see it any time soon. I hope he does though as he has a great left foot on him which would be a great asset to the side.

Stevenson wasn't injured at all and why would he sub in a left back?

Hibeewilly
29-06-2019, 08:59 AM
Stevenson wasn't injured at all and why would he sub in a left back?
It wasn't to replace Stevenson......but he could have played him further forward as he seems better there

hibbie02
29-06-2019, 09:14 AM

I think he read it further up the thread. It was an opinion from someone on here, not something Hecky has ever said, or would say.

scoopyboy
29-06-2019, 12:01 PM
I have to disagree with you there Scoopy. I think Tierney is a top quality player. The only thing holding him back is staying with Celtic, he might take a bit of time to adjust, but he could be every bit as successful as Robertson as he has the talent, he needs to leave Celtic to prove it. He should bypass England and go to a German club imo.

Quite happy for you to disagree lb, it's a good, debatable subject.

When I watch him on tv he looks good but i'm not impressed when he plays against us just so much.

We have at times played Boyle right up on him and in my humble opinion has made him look ordinary.

eastmainsmsh
29-06-2019, 06:02 PM
Mackie will be fine could play the holding role no problem a cracking prospect

Mibbes Aye
29-06-2019, 06:21 PM
Mackie will be fine could play the holding role no problem a cracking prospect

I think there’s a player there, not sure of best position, but when it comes down to it Lewis played LB, LM and CM before settling into the left back role.

jacomo
29-06-2019, 07:44 PM
I think there’s a player there, not sure of best position, but when it comes down to it Lewis played LB, LM and CM before settling into the left back role.

True.

Poor guy was made to fill in at RB on occasion and would no doubt play anywhere if asked to.

I think Mackie looks the part, Hope he gets more opportunities this season.