PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Feel About Our Signings So Far?

judas
27-06-2019, 09:46 PM
How Do You Feel About Our Signings So Far?

greenlex
27-06-2019, 09:48 PM
We’ve been banging on for years about other clubs seemingly picking up gems from down south. Hopefully it’s our turn. I’m looking forward to seeing what they bring.

Spike Mandela
27-06-2019, 09:52 PM
Haven’t seen any of them play apart from Scott Allan and he’s decent so can’t really form an opinion yet.

The 90+2
27-06-2019, 09:52 PM
Relaxed. For a wee change.

Speedy
27-06-2019, 09:53 PM
Reserving judgement. Not being negative as I have faith in the recruitment team but don't know much about the new boys.

hfc rd
27-06-2019, 09:54 PM
Haven’t got a clue about any of them other than Scott Allan.

Looking forward to seeing them play though.

jacomo
27-06-2019, 09:55 PM
I’m optimistic.

We’re not signing journeymen. We seem to be signing players that have a good few options and choose Hibs, or we are signing younger prospects who already have first team experience and look promising.

Central midfield still looks light and I think we need another keeper as back up but it’s still June. So far so good.

jeffers
27-06-2019, 09:55 PM
What does encourage me is we seem to be signing players for positions that needed strengthened and I can imagine them fitting into a team that has balance (although I'd like a Scott Brown type in midfield.)

Squirrel 1875
27-06-2019, 09:58 PM
Meh. Preparing for bottom 6. Heckingbottom rode his luck on that run and will be found out next season. Gone by Christmas, along with the new James “tug boat” Collins.

B.H.F.C
27-06-2019, 09:58 PM
They’re all being signed to fit in to the team in a certain way rather than us just signing them because they’re a good player. I think that’s positive.

Just need to hope they’re actually good players now.

Since452
27-06-2019, 09:59 PM
Really positive despite not knowing anything about them before they signed (bar Allan). Their old clubs fans were all dissapointed to lose them which is a good sign.

BlackSheep
27-06-2019, 10:00 PM
Meh. Preparing for bottom 6. Heckingbottom rode his luck on that run and will be found out next season. Gone by Christmas, along with the new James “tug boat” Collins.

That’s the spirit...!

As others have said, it is looking like Hecky has a plan, selecting players who have attributes that fit this plan and therefor we can work on our best first 11 early and not spend 6 months chopping and changing like Lennon seemed to do in his final season.

weecounty hibby
I'm a quite optimistic, but that is my default position when it comes to Hibs! All young players who are about to come into their prime. Positions that we need to strengthen in, seem to be players the manager knows about, we have them in early enough to work on them before the season starts, all seem keen to work hard, Boyle coming back, Porteous coming back. **** me, just give us one of the cups and a European place now!!

Heisenberg

How did he ride his luck? We had 12 fit first team players or something ridiculous like that and we only lost about 2 or 3 games in 12.

Also, calling out that a player is going to be a failure before he’s even kicked a ball for the club is mental.

wookie70
27-06-2019, 10:01 PM
We look to be back on track trying to sign players on longish contracts and at an age they may see a profit if they move on. We lost that under Lennon and I'm glad we have returned to that model. Lennon was guilty of buying players who were on the way down in their career.

weecounty hibby
27-06-2019, 10:02 PM

Clucking bell!! Honestly didn't think anyone would have that opinion.

Souter96Mac
27-06-2019, 10:05 PM
Very excited, all of the signings so far look promising. But the main thing I'm excited for this season is having an attacking 3 behind the striker of Boyle Allan Horgan. Doesn't matter who is playing up front, they're going to get quality service.

tonyrougier123
27-06-2019, 10:06 PM
Doidge is the big striker ive wanted to see at easter rd for a while, good in the air but mobile.

JN is a great bit of business and something different to the midfielders we have,hard to see him not thriving at hibs.

No knowledge or footage of tom james but definately a position we needed filled.him and sdg will hopefully be what is needed on the right.also he is versatile so happy days.

Scott allan........IS HOME!!...🙌

Adam jackson again definately needed a player in there.
Seems the right type of player and attitude.and hecky knows him first hand so all good.

Still light in areas and more qaulity needed to fill out the sqaud.

BILLYHIBS
27-06-2019, 10:07 PM
Got a feeling that he ain’t done yet and there is more to come

Exciting times for our great club

Stuart93
27-06-2019, 10:11 PM
I see the signings we’ve made and potentially will make and think there’s a bit of extra dosh coming from somewhere!

Seems positive

Northernhibee
27-06-2019, 10:14 PM
Good. No playing to the fans (Stokes third time round etc), just getting to work really early on bringing balance to the team with players who have had good offers elsewhere.

Alex Trager
27-06-2019, 10:26 PM
I see the signings we’ve made and potentially will make and think there’s a bit of extra dosh coming from somewhere!

Seems positive

Funny because you are constantly saying you don’t believe it? Make up your mind.

I’m excited to see the new signings.
Don’t want to pre judge them. It’s hard to know when you haven’t heard of them or seen them, but we will see.

I’d like to see us picking up players from Scotland as well.

There are definitely players our there, but I know that Heck told our scouts to go out to England as the players he wants aren’t in Scotland, in terms of the type of game they play.

So, all in all, I am cautiously optimistic.

Stuart93
27-06-2019, 10:28 PM
Funny because you are constantly saying you don’t believe it? Make up your mind.

I don’t believe there’s a takeover but do think there’s extra investment from somewhere

Alex Trager
27-06-2019, 10:28 PM
I don’t believe there’s a takeover but do think there’s extra investment from somewhere

Here’s hoping

SON OF PADDY
27-06-2019, 10:29 PM

Take it your in the doghouse,and have decided to take it out on the Hibs?

Stuart93
27-06-2019, 10:30 PM
Here’s hoping

As do I my friend, hope all is well with the fam x

NAE NOOKIE
27-06-2019, 10:33 PM
I genuinely don't know for certain what we are getting and that even applies to Scott Allan who like it or not has barely kicked a ball in anger for a full season, he has been excellent for us in two spells, but is it a gimmie that he can do the same a third time? … I'm not 100% positive about that if I'm being honest.

As for the rest of our signings, I've never seen a single one of them kick a ball and I wouldn't say the standard of football they are coming from is any better, in fact possibly less so, than the Scottish premiership …. the only positive is that they all seem to have good reputations, they mostly seem to have had interest from other clubs or their parent club wanted to keep them and not one of them has been the subject of a tirade of 'I'd drive him up the road myself' comments from fans of the clubs they were at.

One thing that's never considered is the environment these guys come from … most of their games have been front of crowds of between 4 and 10 thousand and I doubt any of them have played in a 'genuine' city derby match. That's the thing about Scotland, you can be playing in front of 4,000 at Hamilton or Ross County one week and in front of 19,000 at Tynecastle in a derby or 55,000 at Celtic park the next. Some players thrive in that environment, others struggle to get their head around it and by that I mean keeping your performance level at its highest for both Hamilton and Celtic.

Whatever happens it should be interesting … IMO if we get 3 really good consistent performers out of the 5 we have signed we will have done pretty well.

jacomo
27-06-2019, 10:34 PM
We look to be back on track trying to sign players on longish contracts and at an age they may see a profit if they move on. We lost that under Lennon and I'm glad we have returned to that model. Lennon was guilty of buying players who were on the way down in their career.

True. He does like a veteran.

Franck Stanton
27-06-2019, 10:41 PM

This has Just got to be a wind up. Definitely a candidate for worst post of the year.

HoboHarry
27-06-2019, 10:55 PM
I'm so happy with the signings I'm considering making a pass at the wife. And having been married to her for nearly 30 years that is not an undertaking I take lightly.....

Diclonius
27-06-2019, 11:00 PM
I'm very impressed. Hecky seems to be getting all his first targets in (finally!) and we'll have a settled team for the start of the season with most key acquisitions already made.

IncredibleHibee
27-06-2019, 11:02 PM

Concerned. No doubt i’ll Get called every name under the sun though 😂

Weegreenman
27-06-2019, 11:11 PM
Looking forward to watching some new fresh faces :aok:

The 90+2
27-06-2019, 11:12 PM
Concerned. No doubt i’ll Get called every name under the sun though 😂

Incredible.

Scouse Hibee
27-06-2019, 11:15 PM
Hoping they live up to expectations.

tamig
27-06-2019, 11:16 PM
I genuinely don't know for certain what we are getting and that even applies to Scott Allan who like it or not has barely kicked a ball in anger for a full season, he has been excellent for us in two spells, but is it a gimmie that he can do the same a third time? … I'm not 100% positive about that if I'm being honest.

As for the rest of our signings, I've never seen a single one of them kick a ball and I wouldn't say the standard of football they are coming from is any better, in fact possibly less so, than the Scottish premiership …. the only positive is that they all seem to have good reputations, they mostly seem to have had interest from other clubs or their parent club wanted to keep them and not one of them has been the subject of a tirade of 'I'd drive him up the road myself' comments from fans of the clubs they were at.

One thing that's never considered is the environment these guys come from … most of their games have been front of crowds of between 4 and 10 thousand and I doubt any of them have played in a 'genuine' city derby match. That's the thing about Scotland, you can be playing in front of 4,000 at Hamilton or Ross County one week and in front of 19,000 at Tynecastle in a derby or 55,000 at Celtic park the next. Some players thrive in that environment, others struggle to get their head around it and by that I mean keeping your performance level at its highest for both Hamilton and Celtic.

Whatever happens it should be interesting … IMO if we get 3 really good consistent performers out of the 5 we have signed we will have done pretty well.
Ffs man, get a bit of positivity about you. You say a lot but a lot of it is padding. What doubts do you have about SA for starters? He’s clearly champing at the bit to get going and has been doing extra work to get himself into a great place for pre-season. As for the new signings, I think Hecky has made positive noises about the relationship he has with the recruitment team. NL didn’t buy into that model totally. The good thing for me is a few of the new guys have been tracked by the recruitment team for the past few years, the head coach is also aware of their qualities, and we’ve sealed the deals. Why should there be any doubt? FWIW I’m excited by what we’ve signed to date. A shame so many seem unprepared to scratch beneath the surface. Shallow stuff. Not wholly unexpected from a lot on here nowadays though.

Green_one
27-06-2019, 11:47 PM
I am impressed with our manager. His presentations seem to work and he has got his signings in early which is key to a good start. Happy too for Allen and Boyle to be back as known quality. Optimistic , Hope for a couple more but Hecky likes a small squad.

Franck Stanton
27-06-2019, 11:54 PM
Really don't get the negativity some have On this subject. Hecky has a proven track record at previous clubs he has managed, so why would he suddenly lose the ability to spot a good player ? True, I have not seen any,(apart from Scotty), or even heard of any of the signings, however, and this in my opinion is the most important thing, Hecky has seen them and deserves our trust until we see for ourselves how good/ bad they are.
I for one am excited about the forthcoming season and trust me, it has been a long time since I could say that.

Unseen work
27-06-2019, 11:57 PM
To me the difference is Scott Allan, the others is an added bonus.

He turns an average side into a very good one.

i was rewatching our game against Dundee recently, the one in January 2018 for work purposes and forgot how much of an impact he had when he got subbed on in the 60th minute.

He single handedly changed the game and made them dominate.

Can’t wait to see him do it again for us with the players we have

tamig
28-06-2019, 12:26 AM
To me the difference is Scott Allan, the others is an added bonus.

He turns an average side into a very good one.

i was rewatching our game against Dundee recently, the one in January 2018 for work purposes and forgot how much of an impact he had when he got subbed on in the 60th minute.

He single handedly changed the game and made them dominate.

Can’t wait to see him do it again for us with the players we have
No chance that can happen though ad he hasn’t kicked a ball for a year. All that ability gone. Well, some would seem to think that way. Crazy stuff.

CMurdoch
28-06-2019, 12:34 AM
Last summer Lennon purchased a lot of icing but very little cake.
Come October the wheels were off until Lennon was banned from driving in January.
After limping in a creditable 5th position Hecky has sought to bring in the type of players required to balance his team up.

When he arrived he managed to stiffen the side up enough to beat all the bottom 6 teams but didn't have enough to deal with the better teams after the split.
Now he has been away and brought in players he knows about that he thinks fit his plan.

He is very much the driver of this summers signings from down south.
Accordingly and rightly, if the season goes well he will get the praise and if it goes badly he will get the blame.

He already has 7 new players for the new season. Allan, Boyle & Porteous as well as the 4 recent signings.
What has he lost in the summer that he would value? McNulty, Omeonga and Bogdan.

Another couple of good players in and we are ready to fight out the top 6 places with Aberdeen, Kilmarnock & Hearts.

:aok::aok: from me.

DetroitHibs
28-06-2019, 12:57 AM
Feeling very optimistic. Unlike other seasons, we haven’t lost any key players and improved from last season. We have tons of pace and creativity too. Thinking top four.

Squealing pig
28-06-2019, 01:38 AM
Confident Hecky has a good eye for a player so I’m looking forward to the season , expect a good start from us as we have most of team in pre season .

Hibernian32
28-06-2019, 02:29 AM
I'm happy the manager is getting who he feels fit and lets not forget his first choices, so I have faith.

Also a bit of talk about money being spent and how do we have it. Is it just not from the Mcginn sale last season and add ons seriously doubt there is a investor of some sort.

kaimendhibs
28-06-2019, 03:19 AM
Meh. Preparing for bottom 6. Heckingbottom rode his luck on that run and will be found out next season. Gone by Christmas, along with the new James “tug boat” Collins.FFS[emoji1785][emoji1785][emoji1785]

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Greencore
28-06-2019, 03:25 AM
Happy, however where's the cash coming from, we have actually paid decent fees...

cocteautwin
28-06-2019, 03:29 AM

Well I understood the humour even if no-one else did.

I'm even more certain this year than last that we'll be sitting on 15 points heading in to the first derby of the season.

GreenLake
28-06-2019, 04:20 AM
I'm so happy with the signings I'm considering making a pass at the wife. And having been married to her for nearly 30 years that is not an undertaking I take lightly.....

Try to keep it on the ground, you might break some china.

Since452
28-06-2019, 05:43 AM
I'm very pleased so far but it's vital we get off to a winning start against St Mirren as we're away to Rangers after it. If we don't win it I'd worry it would effect the new lads confidence.

JimBHibees
28-06-2019, 06:16 AM
Quite excited the management team seem to know what they are doing. He seems to be bringing in players who are young and athletic with something to prove. A few more to go but definitely looks like the balance of the squad is taking shape which clearly wasn't the case last season. Really hope we get Marc McNulty back as to me he is pivotal to our game and think we will.

Jdawg
28-06-2019, 06:40 AM
Having seen what Hecky got out of a threadbare squad since coming in (and a team which was in poor form and not liking like getting into the top 6), i trust that he has identified what we missing.

Desperately needs cover for both fullback positions and more firepower. Both signed already and strengthened CB. Scott Allan back.

CDM needed and we are about done.

Really excited for the new season.

Pretty Boy
28-06-2019, 06:50 AM
I'm quietly confident but I just don't know.

With the exception of Allan I know nothing about any of the players we have signed. Sometimes these types of signings from the lower leagues in England prove to be inspired, at other times they end up as total flops (see Bartley or Fontaine as the former and Thornhill and Konte as the latter).

It certainly seems like we are recruiting with a specific style in mind and we have strengthened areas in which there was almost universal agreement that we needed to improve so that's a positive. We'll know a lot more in the coming weeks.

sean04
28-06-2019, 06:53 AM
Think the fact that we're having to fend off interested from other teams for players is a good sign. Also teams seem gutted to have lost there players

Seekyit
28-06-2019, 07:04 AM
Like the sound of the guys we've got in so far, looks like we could put a team out with a bit of balance and shape.

My only concern is the costs involved.

makaveli1875
28-06-2019, 07:08 AM
Happy, however where's the cash coming from, we have actually paid decent fees...

There were rumours of a reasonable to large payment from Villa for them getting promoted as part of the SJM deal

Just glad were getting business done early

Speedway
28-06-2019, 07:20 AM
Pleased with:

Speed of recruitment

Willingness to spend the biggest outside the OF

Concerned about:

Pedigree and calibre of recruit.

Jones28
28-06-2019, 07:24 AM
I'm pretty happy with the new guys, and with Allan coming in Kamberi will be a world away from last season. They were great for each other so Flo will be a new man too imo.

The tests will come and Newcastle will probably be the best team we play all season so that will be one to watch.

One Day Soon
28-06-2019, 07:47 AM
Ffs man, get a bit of positivity about you. You say a lot but a lot of it is padding. What doubts do you have about SA for starters? He’s clearly champing at the bit to get going and has been doing extra work to get himself into a great place for pre-season. As for the new signings, I think Hecky has made positive noises about the relationship he has with the recruitment team. NL didn’t buy into that model totally. The good thing for me is a few of the new guys have been tracked by the recruitment team for the past few years, the head coach is also aware of their qualities, and we’ve sealed the deals. Why should there be any doubt? FWIW I’m excited by what we’ve signed to date. A shame so many seem unprepared to scratch beneath the surface. Shallow stuff. Not wholly unexpected from a lot on here nowadays though.

I don't think he's far away with what was quite a measured and sober post. He hasn't said they're all duds or that these signings won't work, he's just said - rightly - that we don't really know yet what we're getting. The Scott Allan we had previously will be brilliant, but again he's right that there's been pretty much a full season with no competitive game time so hopefully we're getting the same package. Just as important, this Allan will not be playing with the same quality of player around him in our midfield which may mean what we get from him is different. Let's see.

Most of what you've posted doesn't actually contradict what NN said. I'm excited to see what the new guys can do and in particular how they as individuals fit into PH's overall plans for the team and his desired playing style. However I think this is the same recruitment team as brought players in previously and the track record is mixed.

I was pissed off with Lennon haters getting stuck into him after he was faced with the challenge of replacing a genuinely outstanding midfield that had taken four seasons and multiple windows to put together. That kind of thing doesn't get fixed instantly and patience is required. While I think we can't tell much yet about how PH will do for us from his time last season - which was mixed too - I also think that he, like Lennon, needs a lot of time to reshape the squad - especially rebuilding that midfield. You just don't get an Allan - McGinn - McGeouch - Henderson midfield overnight.

Pluses:

Getting our targets in early suggests they are ones we want and who want to come to us rather than what's left and who couldn't other clubs they wanted.

Signings rather than loans should mean more stability and better value for the club if we can develop them.

We seem to be adding depth in the right positions.

All the signings seem to rave about how it was clinched for them by PH's specific plan for them and the club. They make it sound like the blueprint for Operation Overlord and if it is as well thought through as they believe then it would appear we have a real coherence to what the manager and club are trying to achieve.

Minuses:

I suppose you could argue that there's no 'marquee' new face so far - other than Scott Allan and I guess he's technically a Lennon signing.

The goalkeeper situation is a bit uncertain with Rocky's expressed views and Bogdan away home.

We are adding depth in the right positions but we don't yet know how much quality we're adding in those positions.

I think Omeonga was the stand out player and prospect last season and he would be the top of my list to sign.

It's all a bit exciting.

neil7908
28-06-2019, 07:53 AM
Pros -

Massive pro is we've got a players in early. With no European qualifiers we should have time to get everyone fit and gel together

We've identified the exact areas of the squad that needed reinforcements. In years gone by we've end up light in certain positions but overloaded in others. We seem to be developing a balanced squad with cover and options all over the pitch

I trust manager and recruitment team so have to have faith in them to spot a player

Cons -

I'm being a tad harsh here but apart from Allan we've brought in a lot of players from the English lower leagues. We may well have uncovered a few real gems but these guys have not necessarily been tested at a higher level, or in Scotland. Doidge in particular has cost a lot by our standards and given he's 27 in August, isn't a young player that will likely improve or provide us with any major resale value.

If I'm being really harsh, I'd like a couple of younger players but that's just me being fussy.

All in all I'm really excited for next season and looking forward to seeing who else comes in

hibbyfraelibby
28-06-2019, 08:12 AM
Another couple of good players in and we are ready to fight out the top 6 places with Aberdeen, Kilmarnock & Hearts.

:aok::aok: from me.
Aberdeen, Killie and Motherwell surely?

Smartie
28-06-2019, 08:17 AM
I'm very happy with the signings.

Not very often do we have the majority of our team in place at this stage, so I'm confident we'll hit the ground running when the season starts.

There is a bit of doubt as to how the players will be doing coming from a different league but I'd be astonished if they all bombed. One or two will thrive, one or two will get pass marks, one or two might struggle.

I'm also excited about these players for more than just the coming season. They are all at an age and stage of their careers that they will in all likelihood improve having been here for a bit, so the season after this one could be a cracker.

Keith_M
28-06-2019, 08:26 AM
I only have an opinion on the player I've seen before, Scot Allan. I'm looking forward to his return.

I don't see how anybody can possibly judge the other signings until we've seen them play. All we can do is give them our full support...

...until they make their first mistake, at which point we'll give them pelters!

Saint Hibee
28-06-2019, 08:29 AM
Vaguely optimistic. Some of the signings will work out, others probably won’t. The financial environment we’re working within means that we inevitably have to take gambles on signings, thus can’t realistically expect every one to turn out a diamond.

BSEJVT
28-06-2019, 08:42 AM

Wouldnt worry

Pass will probably be misplaced and I doubt wife will be able to control it anyway :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
28-06-2019, 08:44 AM
I only have an opinion on the player I've seen before, Scot Allan. I'm looking forward to his return.

I don't see how anybody can possibly judge the other signings until we've seen them play. All we can do is give them our full support...

...until they make their first mistake, at which point we'll give them pelters!

Back in the day some just got pelters every week Benny Torto Brian Hamilton Ally Scott....

It was why we paid our money at the gate....:greengrin

BSEJVT
28-06-2019, 08:46 AM
Back in the day some just got pelters every week Benny Torto Brian Hamilton Ally Scott....

It was why we paid our money at the gate....:greengrin

To be fair Scott deserved all the pelters he got

BILLYHIBS
28-06-2019, 08:57 AM
To be fair Scott deserved all the pelters he got

Hey!

Thats my brothers favourite all time HIBS player you are talking about?

He has never been back since he left

My brother even looks like him

He had a decent goal scoring record at HIBS 54:10

Naw maybe you are correct :greengrin

Onceinawhile
28-06-2019, 08:57 AM
Looking forward to seeing Scott Allan back, as him and boyler returning should be the key to unlocking Flo's undoubted ability.

Doidge, james, Jackson and Newell don't do much for me, as I've never heard of them, but we're getting them in early and they all seem to have decent backgrounds. I'm pretty optimistic we will improve on last season, so :thumbsup:

Bangkok Hibby
28-06-2019, 09:11 AM
Optimistic for a good season. Like to see Flo back to the player he can be but also not the end of the world if he left. I've already had a few bets with workmates we'll finish above Aberdeen.

BSEJVT
28-06-2019, 09:13 AM
Hey!

Thats my brothers favourite all time HIBS player you are talking about?

He has never been back since he left

My brother even looks like him

He had a decent goal scoring record at HIBS 54:10

Naw maybe you are correct :greengrin

Billy, I am of a similar vintage to you, brought up on the Tornadoes

Swapping Iain Munro for Scott & Fyfe was nearly as bad a deal as taking Joe Ward in px for Des Bremner

WhileTheChief..
28-06-2019, 09:15 AM
No idea about any of the signings or if Heckingbottom has a good record in the transfer market.

Surprised that so many of you on here do, it’s impressive!

I’m kinda meh about the start of the season and am struggling to get excited about anything Hibs just now.

cmcd
28-06-2019, 09:19 AM
This has Just got to be a wind up. Definitely a candidate for worst post of the year.

You could be right I'm sure with his name he's NUTS

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-06-2019, 09:23 AM
Kilmarnock have shown that you don't need world beaters. Trust the manager to get players to match the way he plays the game and get them ready and clued up for the first whistle. That is what we have done this season rather than dithering.

BILLYHIBS
28-06-2019, 09:28 AM
Billy, I am of a similar vintage to you, brought up on the Tornadoes

Swapping Iain Munro for Scott & Fyfe was nearly as bad a deal as taking Joe Ward in px for Des Bremner

‘Strangest thing about the whole move was that Iain Munro only played half a dozen games for Der Hun before being punted

Probably too skilful for them or married a Catholic or something? :greengrin

Weegreenman
28-06-2019, 09:39 AM
It’s great to see how things have progressed over the years regards doing our business nice and early. I can remember the season we met Malmo. Had we been prepared like we have now, that embarrassing result wouldn’t have happened. There’s a buzz about the club just now and I put that down mainly to Leeann. To think that some were doubting her a short while ago as well:rolleyes: I personally can’t wait for the season to begin, onwards and upwards :flag:

My_Wife_Camille
28-06-2019, 09:51 AM
Pretty ambivalent at the moment. Scott Allan aside, I’ve never heard of any of them and signings from Rotherham, Barnsley and Forest Green Rovers don’t usually have that initial ‘wow’ factor that you get with other signings.

On the the plus side there seems to be a real structure and direction to the recruitment and imo getting players in sooner rather than later is always a good sign.

Hope over expectation for me

calumhibee1
28-06-2019, 09:55 AM
As individuals I don’t know much about most of them. They all seems to make a lot more sense than they did last summer however which is encouraging. Oh, and Scott Allan.

Since452
28-06-2019, 09:56 AM
Pretty ambivalent at the moment. Scott Allan aside, I’ve never heard of any of them and signings from Rotherham, Barnsley and Forest Green Rovers don’t usually have that initial ‘wow’ factor that you get with other signings.

Hope over expectation for me

I completely get where you're coming from but our signings from Feyenoord, Sporting Lisbon and Man City were a complete disaster. Time will tell i guess.

Betty Boop
28-06-2019, 10:02 AM
Apart from Scott Allan never heard of them.

My_Wife_Camille
28-06-2019, 10:03 AM
I completely get where you're coming from but our signings from Feyenoord, Sporting Lisbon and Man City were a complete disaster. Time will tell i guess.
Exactly, there’s no scientific formula to making a successful signing so for the vast majority of us that know nothing about them it’s just going to be a waiting game imo

Onion
28-06-2019, 10:13 AM
SA apart, until we see them in action, we’ve no idea how they will do up here. Just got to hope we’ve picked up some gems and our manager can get the best from them. None of them will help sell more STs but at least we’re getting business done early in the window. Last summer was frustrating with SJM situation, so at least we don’t have to deal with that. Need to be prepared for unexpected, like a late bid for Kamberi.

Eyrie
28-06-2019, 10:21 AM
Positives
- We've signed players early, so plenty of time for them to settle in
- The players signed are known quantities to the recruitment team and manager
- The players signed are to fit into a team and our needs, rather than being individual signings
- The players wanted to come here
- Their old clubs are disappointed to lose them
- Most of the players who left weren't regulars for us (including Bogdan once Marciano returned). Doidge replaces McNulty whilst Allan, Jackson, James and Newell are additions.
- The return of Boyle and Porteous are effectively two more additions.

Negatives
- It's very unlikely that they'll all work out
- Most are new to Scottish football
- We haven't signed a defensive midfielder or box to box (yet) so need to replace Milligan and Omeonga.

MrRobot
28-06-2019, 12:18 PM

Why even bother supporting Hibs mate?

Quite excited to see the new signings, dont know anything about them though.

Allan speaks for himself; quality player.

H18 SFR
28-06-2019, 12:21 PM
So far, without seeing them play (except Scott Allan), I feel very positive. 8.0 out of 10 so far for me in terms of recruitment.

Tug Wilson
28-06-2019, 12:46 PM
Some very sensible comments on here (mostly).

Of course we have no real idea how the new recruits will pan out. To be fair we don't know how the current players will perform either. Some might get better and some worse.

However, what does impress me is the way that each player has said that Heckingbottom has explained the way that he wants to play and how the player fits in to that plan.

This is no slap dash signing of potentially good players to then see how we fit them in. It is a planned recruitment to give the manager the playing resources to put his plan in to action.

Whether or not that plan proves to be successful we can but wait and see.

Personally, I like Heckingbottom and trust him to deliver.

NAE NOOKIE
28-06-2019, 12:49 PM

Thanks to 'one day soon' for post #58 which has saved me a lot of bother.

Anyway:

I never said anybody was going to be a failure or that we were signing the wrong players. But don't try to tell me that for every player from England's lower leagues or elsewhere in Scotland who has been a success here there isn't another one who has been a failure .. so far we have signed 4 with the possibility of more to come and just plain logic says they might not all be suitable for Scottish football.

As one day soon pointed out, Scott Allan's last two spells here were in pretty decent Hibs teams and we don't know at this point if that will be the same this time given how different the team is going to look when we kick off the new season. His two spells with us indicate that he will be a great addition, but given his litany of failure at every other club apart from us the jury for me will always be out on him until he proves himself on the park, in view of which I don't think that's an unreasonable stance to take.

Like every other Hibs fan I'll hope for the best from all the players we sign, but that doesn't mean ignoring bitter experience which will always temper the temptation to get carried away or over optimistic.

Speedway
28-06-2019, 12:50 PM
Why even bother supporting Hibs mate?

Quite excited to see the new signings, dont know anything about them though.

Allan speaks for himself; quality player.

What makes you think they support Hibs?

Greenbeard
28-06-2019, 12:54 PM
What does encourage me is we seem to be signing players for positions that needed strengthened and I can imagine them fitting into a team that has balance (although I'd like a Scott Brown type in midfield.)
I'd rather an SJM type.
Lots of positive noises around these early signings but as most say, very little playing evidence to go on so got to reserve judgement for the mo.
The negative side for me is I can't help feeling that the extent of the early business maybe signals that Omeonga and McNulty won't be back? Brucie bonus if either are.
Oh, and they other negative for me is that Kamberi is still here.

southsider
28-06-2019, 12:57 PM
‘Strangest thing about the whole move was that Iain Munro only played half a dozen games for Der Hun before being punted

Probably too skilful for them or married a Catholic or something? :greengrin

Iain was my PE teacher at Boroighmuir & we had a class with him on the Monday after Pat’s famous 5 O’Clock goal at Tiny on the Saturday. We played fives for a bit then someone asked him about the goal . The game stopped and we spent the rest of the lesson talking about the game.

Deansy
28-06-2019, 01:26 PM
Been happy-as since we announced Scott Allan - re-sign Omeonga and I'm bulk-buying Kleenex !!

BILLYHIBS
28-06-2019, 02:57 PM
Iain was my PE teacher at Boroighmuir & we had a class with him on the Monday after Pat’s famous 5 O’Clock goal at Tiny on the Saturday. We played fives for a bit then someone asked him about the goal . The game stopped and we spent the rest of the lesson talking about the game.
A lot of my Jambo pals swear they were on their first pint in the Tiny Arms when King Paddy scored from an offside position
In them days the Boozers opened 1700hrs 😂

southsider
28-06-2019, 03:08 PM
For our younger readers we had a great record against Hertz both home and away.Tom Hart used to come into the dressing room before Hertz games and say ‘right lads ur on £500 a man for a win. F all for a draw’. Anyway the match I was talking about was 1-1 after 90 mins and the Ref kept adding time until Hibs scored then promptly blew for FT. The legend was that the pubs were open )5pm).

Deansy
28-06-2019, 03:49 PM

I remember one PE session at Meggetland with him and I'd forgotten my boots and he loaned me a pair of his Pumas - I was convinced his boots would make me play as well as him. Its amazing the incredibly stupid thoughts I had (ok, still do !!) I had as a laddie - as always I was mince !! He was a great player/teacher though !

Since452
28-06-2019, 04:09 PM
For our younger readers we had a great record against Hertz both home and away.Tom Hart used to come into the dressing room before Hertz games and say ‘right lads ur on £500 a man for a win. F all for a draw’. Anyway the match I was talking about was 1-1 after 90 mins and the Ref kept adding time until Hibs scored then promptly blew for FT. The legend was that the pubs were open )5pm).

Did we not go roughly 10 years without losing to them or am i just completely making that up?

matty_f
28-06-2019, 04:21 PM
I'm very pleased with the business Hibs have done so far. On the face of it, Hecky's gone for specific qualities to fit specific positions to fit in with how he wants to play. That's got to be a good thing.

weecounty hibby
28-06-2019, 04:28 PM
Did we not go roughly 10 years without losing to them or am i just completely making that up?

Without looking it up, I think during the 70s we only lost twice to them. First half of the decade was only two games per season though unless we got them in a cup

southsider
28-06-2019, 04:40 PM
I remember one PE session at Meggetland with him and I'd forgotten my boots and he loaned me a pair of his Pumas - I was convinced his boots would make me play as well as him. Its amazing the incredibly stupid thoughts I had (ok, still do !!) I had as a laddie - as always I was mince !! He was a great player/teacher though !
Sounds like a story from Billy’s Boots.

greenlad
28-06-2019, 04:58 PM
Without looking it up, I think during the 70s we only lost twice to them. First half of the decade was only two games per season though unless we got them in a cup

3 defeats in 32 to Hearts between February 1966 and August 1983.

Since452
28-06-2019, 05:07 PM

But they bang on about natural order? 🤔

lord bunberry
28-06-2019, 08:57 PM
I’ve never heard of any of our new signings that Hecky has made, but then again I’m an idiot who is often very very drunk.

One Day Soon
28-06-2019, 10:07 PM
I’ve never heard of any of our new signings that Hecky has made, but then again I’m an idiot who is often very very drunk.

Yes but is there anything about you that would distinguish you from the rest of us?

Mr Grieves
28-06-2019, 10:21 PM
I've not heard of any of our signings (except Allan of course:not worth) , so a I'm a wee bit excited in the hope that our manager knows what he's doing and it all clicks together, but also nervous that our manager doesn't know what he's doing and it all goes tits up :dunno:

I think our summer transfer business the previous couple of seasons has been really poor, there was no balance to the squad. This season we seem to be addressing that, albeit with players that I've never heard of.

Forza Fred
28-06-2019, 11:46 PM
Hecky has went for specific players that HE considers suits the way he wants the team to play.

He has shown leadership and clearly nailed his colours to the mast.

I trust his judgement, although admit still being a bit confused by his early decision to release Milligan.

I thought at the time it happened that he MUST have a replacement already lined up, but it appears from recent press reports about the guy at scu nthorpe that this was not the case.

All in all, I’m very happy with the players coming in.

Lancs Harp
29-06-2019, 12:27 AM
Like others have said I'm glad we have done business early and I'll trust the Hecks judgement, Apart from Scotty, I will be honest and say I dont know anything about any of the other players, never heard of any of them. Not that, that means very much.

Looking forward to seeing what they can do.

:flag:

Unseen work
29-06-2019, 01:17 AM
I’m really excited for seeing Joe Newell play for us.

He looks and sounds like the type of player and character that will light up games. I loved his answer in the hibs interview

”What sort of player are you? Unbelievable”

I also think going by his interview we may well see him deployed centrally as he’s described as athletic and will be used to get us up the pitch and carry the ball.

Will most likely be frustrating and inconsistent like most wingers but I think we’ve got ourselves a good one here.

Also rather off topic but about wingers. Really looking forward to seeing Horgan kick on this season, for me he’s massively underrated and has been a very important player, always seems to cause problems or create a chance even if playing poorly. I know a lot of opposition fans see him as our most dangerous player. His stats are also quite impressive too considering how Lennon utilised him earlier in the season.

He also has a fantastic work rate.

Hibeesmad
29-06-2019, 03:29 AM
Signings so far seem promising. However, having Boyle and Porteous back will be a breath of fresh air

04Sauzee
29-06-2019, 03:58 AM
I’m really excited for seeing Joe Newell play for us.

He looks and sounds like the type of player and character that will light up games. I loved his answer in the hibs interview

”What sort of player are you? Unbelievable”

I also think going by his interview we may well see him deployed centrally as he’s described as athletic and will be used to get us up the pitch and carry the ball.

Will most likely be frustrating and inconsistent like most wingers but I think we’ve got ourselves a good one here.

Also rather off topic but about wingers. Really looking forward to seeing Horgan kick on this season, for me he’s massively underrated and has been a very important player, always seems to cause problems or create a chance even if playing poorly. I know a lot of opposition fans see him as our most dangerous player. His stats are also quite impressive too considering how Lennon utilised him earlier in the season.

He also has a fantastic work rate.

Agreed about Horgan really like him as a player I just hope we can find away to get him to last the full game rather rather than tire so much after 60 minutes.
As you say think he's underrated by some

MagicSwirlingShip
29-06-2019, 04:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5TqIdff_DQ

JimBHibees
29-06-2019, 06:48 AM
Hecky has went for specific players that HE considers suits the way he wants the team to play.

He has shown leadership and clearly nailed his colours to the mast.

I trust his judgement, although admit still being a bit confused by his early decision to release Milligan.

I thought at the time it happened that he MUST have a replacement already lined up, but it appears from recent press reports about the guy at scu nthorpe that this was not the case.

All in all, I’m very happy with the players coming in.

Maybe the Ojo guy was the replacement and that his.contractual position wasn't as clear cut as it might have appeared at the time. Hope that isn't the case as we need someone in there similar to Milligan. Possibility that letting Milligan go was to increase budget and strengthen in other areas of the team also.

Todi114
29-06-2019, 06:57 AM
Strength in depth means competition for places keeps players on their toes
also think we will have a much stronger bench
i think we have more impact players
more gamechangers

FilipinoHibs
29-06-2019, 08:11 AM

Good we have got them in early. Jury's out if they can make it in SPL. But Heck knows the league and thinks they can succeed with coaching and training. It is a stretch assignment but he must have identified these players as ready to make step up. Scott the exception.

lord bunberry
29-06-2019, 10:43 AM
Yes but is there anything about you that would distinguish you from the rest of us?
Probably not :greengrin

Franck Stanton
29-06-2019, 11:05 AM
Apart from Scott Allan never heard of them.

Doesn't make them bad signings. When we signed Murphy, Sproule & quite a few others we didn't know anything about them either, turned out well. To the average supporter, may seem like a risk, hpwever, we have to have confidence in our manager to know a good player when he sees one & I for one am impressed by Hecky so far.

Since452
29-06-2019, 11:07 AM
Absolutely buzzing about this season. Just listened to Heckys interview. Comes across so well. I think it's going to be a good one!

Deansy
29-06-2019, 11:34 AM
But they bang on about natural order? 🤔

That's because for the vast majority of them, Hearts 'real' history only counts from 25th May 1981 onwards ....................................

bigswissstriker
29-06-2019, 12:23 PM
Delighted and nervous.

Think they look good on paper, but so did pat fenlons the year we went down and majority had been signed from England.

Hope they’re up for the big games as that’s what’s been most enjoyable over the last few seasons, we rarely choke in the big games.

superfurryhibby
29-06-2019, 03:16 PM
I’d feel happier if the lour signings included the likes of a MacKay-Steven or McGeouch. That said I felt last seasons team was going to be stronger than it was with Kamberi, McLaren, Horgan and Milligan coming-on board.

I’m certainly glad they aren’t loans or veterans. I’m always hopeful and hopefully we’ve purchased guys with enough talent to kick on.

Robinho08
29-06-2019, 04:29 PM
Quietly confident. 😁 I imagine there will be another 1 or 2 still to come too.

The 90+2
29-06-2019, 04:35 PM

Then I was born in 84 and it all fell to fk. Sorry guys.

southsider
29-06-2019, 04:37 PM
Do we still have a ‘roving reporter’ hiding in the bushes at East Mains ? If so how is the Moon lad doing ? Worth a contract ?

southsider
29-06-2019, 04:48 PM

Can remember a 3-1 defeat at ER when Joe Davis missed a pen. A 4-1 loss when Roddy McKenzie was in goals & had a ‘mare. But I can’t remember the 3rd defeat. Pretty sure I was at all the games between those dates. Anyone help ?

cmcd
29-06-2019, 06:53 PM
Can remember a 3-1 defeat at ER when Joe Davis missed a pen. A 4-1 loss when Roddy McKenzie was in goals & had a ‘mare. But I can’t remember the 3rd defeat. Pretty sure I was at all the games between those dates. Anyone help ?

The McKenzie game was the next after 0-7

greenlad
29-06-2019, 07:17 PM

November 1978

www.ihibs.co.uk very good for stuff like this.

Robbo6-2
29-06-2019, 07:40 PM
I predict Joe Newell will be a stand out.

Hes supposed to be impressing in training all ready, rest of players are raving about him.

Forza Fred
29-06-2019, 08:29 PM
Do we still have a ‘roving reporter’ hiding in the bushes at East Mains ? If so how is the Moon lad doing ? Worth a contract ?

Probably been said before, but think we’ll have to wait for a floodlit game to judge him....

Deansy
30-06-2019, 10:07 AM
The McKenzie game was the next after 0-7

I was at that game - from my memory its the worst display of goal-keeping I've ever seen, even worse than Zibi !!. They basically had 4 shots at goal and they all went in !

southsider
30-06-2019, 11:02 AM
I was at that game - from my memory its the worst display of goal-keeping I've ever seen, even worse than Zibi !!. They basically had 4 shots at goal and they all went in !

46 years ago which is pretty scary.

southsider
30-06-2019, 11:04 AM
46 years ago which is pretty scary.

But not a scary as McKenzie’s attempt at goalkeeping.

Just Alf
30-06-2019, 11:45 AM
Then I was born in 84 and it all fell to fk. Sorry guys.I've always blamed Petrie too!

90+2! :grrr

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Gettin' Auld
30-06-2019, 04:00 PM

I love bashing that lot, but that stat cannae be right?

It was a long time ago now but i'm pretty sure there were more than 3 defeats in those 17 years and obviously more than 32 games, unless the stat is just using league games?

greenlad
30-06-2019, 05:06 PM
I love bashing that lot, but that stat cannae be right?

It was a long time ago now but i'm pretty sure there were more than 3 defeats in those 17 years and obviously more than 32 games, unless the stat is just using league games?

It is right, check out ihibs website.

Bear in mind only 2 games a year (unless we met in the cup) until 1975. And then 4 meeting a year but those were limited after Hearts started their run of regular relegations from 1977. Hibs went down once in that period also.

Only after Hearts return to the top flight in 1983 did the pendulum shift, unfortunately quite markedly.

Iggy Pope
30-06-2019, 05:34 PM

I remember a defeat at ER late 70s, Derek O’Connor I think getting their late winner. Willie Paterson might’ve got the Hibs goal but I can’t be sure.