PDA

View Full Version : Scotsman Online

broonie27
27-06-2019, 09:44 PM
Hi There,

With Scotsman.com now demanding a subscription to view their content I'm interested to find out where people on here go to get their Hibs news. I live abroad and my two main sources of anything Hibs, or Scottish football in general, are the BBC site and Scotsman.com. The BBC is fine for headlines and the basics but the Scotsman site gives more detail and more of an Edinburgh slant to things.

I'm not prepared to pay a subscription just to read a couple of football articles a day and the Herald site is so full of Old Firm stuff I can't bear going there.

Cheers
C

Spike Mandela
27-06-2019, 09:46 PM
On .net itself is better than any media outlet.:confused:

tonyrougier123
27-06-2019, 09:49 PM
Edinburghlive.co.uk should give u your hibs news.or on twitter u have hibsnews1875 they will put up most articles hibs minded.👍

jacomo
27-06-2019, 09:50 PM
The Scotsman has gone downhill so far it’s scary.

There are a few decent journalists left but the football coverage is poor these days imo, unless you like fawning coverage of Hearts.

The website is an ad riddled mess with plenty of clickbait.

I’d consider a subscription but they’d have to up their game considerably.

BigKev
27-06-2019, 09:50 PM
Hi There,

With Scotsman.com now demanding a subscription to view their content I'm interested to find out where people on here go to get their Hibs news. I live abroad and my two main sources of anything Hibs, or Scottish football in general, are the BBC site and Scotsman.com. The BBC is fine for headlines and the basics but the Scotsman site gives more detail and more of an Edinburgh slant to things.

I'm not prepared to pay a subscription just to read a couple of football articles a day and the Herald site is so full of Old Firm stuff I can't bear going there.

Cheers
C

Newsnow Hibs. You can filter out the rubbish or those behind paywalls.

BILLYHIBS
27-06-2019, 09:53 PM
If it is not a dotnet fact it is usually a fact!

When the legend becomes fact we type the legend

You have come to the right place Buddy for all things HIBS!

We usually know before anyone else

Well some of us do

Some of us claim to be ITK ( in the know)

But are usually not

If that makes any sense?

neil7908
27-06-2019, 10:10 PM
The Scotsman has gone downhill so far it’s scary.

There are a few decent journalists left but the football coverage is poor these days imo, unless you like fawning coverage of Hearts.

The website is an ad riddled mess with plenty of clickbait.

I’d consider a subscription but they’d have to up their game considerably.

The website is terrible and any time I've wandered over to the news side the comments section is terrifying.

Shame as its the paper my family always got growing up so have a bit of a soft spot for it but it's just a mess at the moment.

They won't last long imo. Also, I might be wrong but looks like the Evening News is still free.

CentreLine
27-06-2019, 10:12 PM
Hi There,

Cheers
C

Edinburgh Evening News site is still free to view. Edinburghnews.scotsman.com

AugustaHibs
27-06-2019, 10:14 PM

Maybe the worst website and paper I’ve ever laid eyes on the last couple of years. Looks and is horrendous to use, coupled with diddy journalists writing articles on ‘who is the highest rated player on fifa between hibs and hearts’

Brightside
27-06-2019, 10:18 PM
Hi There,

Cheers
C

Never understand why anyone goes to the press now. Its an outdated media. The online stuff is mainly lift and shift from forums and twitter.

Greencore
27-06-2019, 10:19 PM
Twitter and .Net

broonie27
27-06-2019, 11:27 PM

Yeah, I went there and wasn't prompted for a subscription so I did wonder if it was free or not. If it is free it seems odd as the Evening News and the Scotsman are owned by the same folks. The sport articles are identical on both sites so looks like that's where I'll be going.

Thanks guys.

The 90+2
27-06-2019, 11:30 PM
Scotsman going substitutions only while the EEN has spamming **** galore as soon as you visit. Fk that hearts fanzine.

Peevemor
27-06-2019, 11:37 PM
As everyone has said, the Scotsman is pathetic now and I think the paywall will finish them off. The EEN is still free (for what it's worth) and the online football content is identical to the Scotsman anyway.

The Edinburgh Live site is every bit as good.

In any case, all the Hibs items they run are either lifted from here or from Hibs TV interviews (with each interview being split into 2-3 different pieces with often misleading headlines).

Forza Fred
27-06-2019, 11:37 PM
I rely on the Evening News posts a lot....I’m based in Australia

As far as the Scotsman pay wall goes, I just can’t seem to register my details anyway....it keeps knocking me out and returning to the start.

tNot that I would pay it anyway.

I rely on Newsnow Hibernian for a wide range of reporting from different sources.

For those who may not know type in google ...followed by the name of the team (or in some instances player even ) and a comprehensive list of topical articles comes up.

CMurdoch
27-06-2019, 11:40 PM
Generally any Hibs news quickly breaks here and as another poster has said a lot of football dross and gossip the papers come up with is from trawling fans forums.
Sports journalism as we knew it is pretty much dead.

HoboHarry
27-06-2019, 11:57 PM
Hi There,

Cheers
C
I'm abroad too and .net is by far the best I've found. The Scotsman is crap on a good day and the BBC is slower than a week in jail when it comes to updating scores. The quality of the journalists at the Scotsman honestly leave me shaking my head, how far that particular mighty has fallen......

Viva_Palmeiras
28-06-2019, 05:15 AM
They will go t1ts up.

They clearly do not either do user testing at all or very little and care nothing for user experience preferring to sacrifice that for ad bombardment and now they want ads and subs? Worse still they fail to acknowledge and clearly ignore feedback. Their twitter feed is a one way push.
Basically they move to digital is a crack-handed mess and probably text book what not to do.

They’ve become a shell of bland buzz feed type trivia that any other can do.
I will not pay for it - just not enough substance to merit it imo.
Shame it was one of my go to website - after 9/11 I was looking there to confirm whether it wasn’t a hoax - Britney Spears death had been a hoax the week before.

Scotsman RIP.

Scorrie
28-06-2019, 06:00 AM
Hi There,

Cheers
C

I get most if not all my Hibs news from here. My PM membership is well worth it. Any other news I get has usually been discussed on these boards first anyway!

green day
28-06-2019, 06:28 AM
I notice a couple of people talking about Edinburgh Live.

Is that not just the online version of the Daily Record?

IIRC there was some chat about that during the Brad Welsh coverage (where they were a bit more sensationalist and less sympathetic)?

I read the Guardian in the morning as its still ad free, and then Twitter, .net, P&B - never read the Scotsman, EEN or Herald - they have all descended into pish.

BILLYHIBS
28-06-2019, 06:37 AM
Hi There,

Cheers
C

Might be worth investing £10 per annum on a HIBS.net Private Membership

Already new rumours and gossip circulating over there. :greengrin

FilipinoHibs
28-06-2019, 10:34 AM
Generally any Hibs news quickly breaks here and as another poster has said a lot of football dross and gossip the papers come up with is from trawling fans forums.
Sports journalism as we knew it is pretty much dead.

Facebook Hibs pages are good to.

hibby6270
28-06-2019, 11:43 AM
FAO broonie27

Do you have relatives/friends that live in Edinburgh? If so, this might be worth a try, even if it is a bit convoluted.

Should add at this point, anyone in Edinburgh area can take a£vantage of this service. It’s FREE!!

Anyone who has an Edinburgh City library card (if you haven’t it’s dead easy to get one via the Edinburgh.gov.uk site) can sign up to an online service that allows you to read thousands of publications to read in PDF style format. Using the library card number they register via an app called PressReader and the Scotsman is one of the news publications (along with many other U.K. and worldwide papers/magazines) that are updated each day if they are daily publications. Others are updated in line with their frequency. So for example Scotland on Sunday will, of course, update each week.

Once registered, and as long as your ‘friend’ doesn’t want to use the service themselves, you can use their details to access PressReader to view the Scotsman at your leisure.

No annoying pop up ads. More importantly it’s FREE!! I use it all the time.

My only disclaimer would be about where you’re located or whether an IP address block is in place for certain countries. On the plus side, I have accessed newspapers when on holiday in Canada a few years ago, so the IP check might not be done.

Worth a try if you can.