PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been too nervous to watch or listen to a Hibs match?

G B Young
26-06-2019, 08:45 AM
I haven't read it for years, but one of the episodes which has stuck with me from Nick Hornby's Fever Pitch is when he can no longer bear to listen to the radio commentary on a (twice replayed?) FA Cup semi-final between Arsenal and (I think) Liverpool and resorts to switching it off and putting on a Buzzcocks LP which he knows from experience will last him until the final whistle.

How many of us have done similar things while watching or listening to Hibs matches? The older I get I actually find it harder, rather than easier to get through a game which is too close to call and have often left the room for a while when watching the TV or switched off the radio.

In terms of actually being at a game, I left the ground during the second half of the Hamilton play-off in 2014. I didn't even see the Accies' second goal, let alone the penalties. I simply knew what was coming and couldn't handle being there to witness it.

Since452
26-06-2019, 08:51 AM
Every derby when i was a young lad. My dad used to listen to the "wireless" as i was too young to go. I was a bag of nerves. David Begg had a nack of building tension and excitement. Awfull when you can't see whats going on.

yerauldda
26-06-2019, 08:55 AM
I've went to sit in the toilets in Hampden numerous times when a goal up with not long to go.. the Aberdeen semi I couldn't watch.. wish they'd scored now!

I was in Krakow for the Horgan derby and stood outside the pub I was in for the last five minutes. Most games of any importance I'm a bag of nerves when there's a goal in it with 5 mins to go.

Renfrew_Hibby
26-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Having lived through and been there for some of the lowest points in our history I actually feel a lot calmer now when experiencing these tight nervous matches than i was before.
Sure if we are a goal up on Hearts with 5 minutes to go i'll be kicking the seat in front of me but i feel i can handle bad results better now than say before the Hamilton match.

Souter96Mac
26-06-2019, 09:04 AM
I hate listening to Hibs on the radio. Not too sure if it's a generational thing, but not being able to see what's happening gives me the fear.

The 90+2
26-06-2019, 09:07 AM
I hate listening to Hibs on the radio. Not too sure if it's a generational thing, but not being able to see what's happening gives me the fear.

I used to listen to the hibs match while at the games, never done it for years though. I think it retired the Walkman after Ivan’s hat trick at Ibrox.

truehibernian
26-06-2019, 09:14 AM
I have a ritual now before games at Hampden and prior to the game take a drive to Flotterstone and have a long walk to clear the head and nerves. Say a wee prayer and then I'm good to go.

The_Horde
26-06-2019, 09:14 AM
Listened to the 4-4 game on the radio. Never listened to a derby on the radio again!

The 90+2
26-06-2019, 09:16 AM
Listened to the 4-4 game on the radio. Never listened to a derby on the radio again!

Same here...at the game 😭😭

MartinfaePorty
26-06-2019, 10:00 AM
When Hibs and Hearts were finally back in the same division in 1983, my Dad wouldn't take me to Tynecastle, so had to listen to the game on the radio. When it went 3-2 Hearts I couldn't stand it and turned the radio off. Unfortunately, it made no difference. Haven't done it since, but do turn the radio down every now and again when the opposition are on the attack!

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

FilipinoHibs
26-06-2019, 10:17 AM
I haven't read it for years, but one of the episodes which has stuck with me from Nick Hornby's Fever Pitch is when he can no longer bear to listen to the radio commentary on a (twice replayed?) FA Cup semi-final between Arsenal and (I think) Liverpool and resorts to switching it off and putting on a Buzzcocks LP which he knows from experience will last him until the final whistle.

How many of us have done similar things while watching or listening to Hibs matches? The older I get I actually find it harder, rather than easier to get through a game which is too close to call and have often left the room for a while when watching the TV or switched off the radio.

In terms of actually being at a game, I left the ground during the second half of the Hamilton play-off in 2014. I didn't even see the Accies' second goal, let alone the penalties. I simply knew what was coming and couldn't handle being there to witness it.

The cup semi vs DU after Cummings missed penalty. Went to local music bar in Singapore when extra time started. Relied on friends messages to keep me up to date. Cup final when we went 2-1 down. Turned off BBC updates when in Philippines. Woke up at 5am local time and partiyed all day.

eastterrace
26-06-2019, 10:43 AM
When Hibs and Hearts were finally back in the same division in 1983, my Dad wouldn't take me to Tynecastle, so had to listen to the game on the radio. When it went 3-2 Hearts I couldn't stand it and turned the radio off. Unfortunately, it made no difference. Haven't done it since, but do turn the radio down every now and again when the opposition are on the attack!

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalki was actually at the game , still don’t know how we lost we were better side, maybe lost due to a certain John Robertson getting his first derby goals.

iwasthere1972
26-06-2019, 10:57 AM
Haven't listened to a Hibs game on the radio for at least ten years. Not knowing exactly where the action on the pitch is being played makes me nervous. Recently I turned the telly off when Hearts went up 1-0 at Tynecastle. Had a pleasant surprise when I looked at the result at full time to find out that we won 2-1.

Smartie
26-06-2019, 11:09 AM
I remember leaving and taking 5 minutes to myself when we were playing Airdrie away in that playoff yonks ago. That was the most tense I think I've been watching Hibs.

We'd won the first leg but started the second atrociously, and I thought we were going down, which at that point was fairly unthinkable. If Steve Cooper hadn't hoofed his penalty miles over the bar we were in deep, deep trouble.

Of course it happened for real the following season but we'd had a sustained spell of absolute garbage to soften me up for it then.

Since452
26-06-2019, 11:15 AM
Changed channels when they took the lead in the cup final. Wasn't having it.

FilipinoHibs
26-06-2019, 11:27 AM
I remember leaving and taking 5 minutes to myself when we were playing Airdrie away in that playoff yonks ago. That was the most tense I think I've been watching Hibs.

We'd won the first leg but started the second atrociously, and I thought we were going down, which at that point was fairly unthinkable. If Steve Cooper hadn't hoofed his penalty miles over the bar we were in deep, deep trouble.

Of course it happened for real the following season but we'd had a sustained spell of absolute garbage to soften me up for it then.

Yes that was nerve racking. Wife phoned me and played radio through phone. Thought we were a goner.

JeMeSouviens
26-06-2019, 12:21 PM

Tangential to the topic - but was it just me that thought this was pish? Supposedly you're a super fan if you can remember the date of your team's most important historic match ever just a few years later and you spent most of your teenage years listening on the radio or going to another team's games (Cambridge in his case). I'm more of a diehard Hibby than he is a gooner and I'm a total part-timer ffs. :rolleyes:

Anyway, back to the topic. The only game I've ever left early or not watched/listened to was a certain cup final. We left at about 70 minutes, got back to the car just after full time and turned the radio on briefly to be relieved that there had been no further scoring.

WeeRussell
26-06-2019, 12:29 PM
Nope - those nervy moments and big matches are why I'm in the game :greengrin

Though I do agree radio listening has often been the most agonising over the years. And I have left early in order to stop watching.. not because of nerves, but because of sick of being hammered.

JeMeSouviens
26-06-2019, 12:35 PM
I think the most nervous I've been listening to a radio commentary was the KeithKeithKeith semi vs the Old Huns. I was living in Glasgow at the time and travelled home from Aberdeen on the day of the game but the bus was too late to make it to Hampden so I went to my flat instead. Got in and put the radio on and we were a goal up. Result! Then had to endure Archie Macpherson commentary for the rest of the game, I think it was Radio Clyde. Archie used to do this thing of only commentating when Rangers had the ball. Then when their opponents had it he would offer analysis of what had just gone right or wrong for Rangers. So the impression was that Hibs had hardly touched the ball. Couldn't believe it later when I actually saw the highlights. Hibs stormed it and Mickey Weir motm by a country mile!

HibeeHibernian4
26-06-2019, 12:38 PM
Having lived through and been there for some of the lowest points in our history I actually feel a lot calmer now when experiencing these tight nervous matches than i was before.
Sure if we are a goal up on Hearts with 5 minutes to go i'll be kicking the seat in front of me but i feel i can handle bad results better now than say before the Hamilton match.

I agree with this, but also think that the reverse is true. Now that we've gone through one of the highest points (THE highest point?) in our history, I'm much more relaxed about losing. No defeat since that day has broken my heart or come close to it.

Since452
26-06-2019, 12:41 PM
I hid in the old east stand toilets for a bit after Harper's derby winner in 98. The Aberdeen semi "Griffiths" was hard to watch as mentioned by another poster. I actually found that harder to watch than after SDG's cup winner. Mental. Think i was immune to gut wrenching dissapointment by that point.

G B Young
26-06-2019, 12:45 PM
Tangential to the topic - but was it just me that thought this was pish? Supposedly you're a super fan if you can remember the date of your team's most important historic match ever just a few years later and you spent most of your teenage years listening on the radio or going to another team's games (Cambridge in his case). I'm more of a diehard Hibby than he is a gooner and I'm a total part-timer ffs.

I remember enjoying it when it first came out which I think was the early 90s so it may have dated a bit in the interim. However, to be fair to Hornby I don't recall him trying to make out he was a super fan. It was more about a life lived with football as a constant backdrop/obsession. It made for a more engaging read than somebody simply charting the games they'd been too. Basically it was different to most of what had gone before (when fanzines were really the only place you'd find the fans' perspective), although by elevating football fandom to more of a literary level it kind of paved the way for the more arty/middle class/Baddiel and Skinner/everyone loves football era.

Broken Gnome
26-06-2019, 12:52 PM
Bizarrely as it meant nothing, couldn't stomach the Barcelona friendly on TV once it looked like being a massacre.

Didn't envisage that Molde away on the radio would have been very enjoyable either.

JeMeSouviens
26-06-2019, 12:57 PM
I remember enjoying it when it first came out which I think was the early 90s so it may have dated a bit in the interim. However, to be fair to Hornby I don't recall him trying to make out he was a super fan. It was more about a life lived with football as a constant backdrop/obsession. It made for a more engaging read than somebody simply charting the games they'd been too. Basically it was different to most of what had gone before (when fanzines were really the only place you'd find the fans' perspective), although by elevating football fandom to more of a literary level it kind of paved the way for the more arty/middle class/Baddiel and Skinner/everyone loves football era.

Yeah, I was maybe a bit harsh on it. I think he oversells his devoted Arsenal-ness in the first chapter and the rest of the book is more of a diversion into life with a bit of a football theme.

Paisley Hibby
26-06-2019, 01:13 PM
Same here. Don't much enjoy watching on TV either. Feel I can't influence or help in any way. Not that I can at matches either but when there I feel they can hear us cheer and shout and support somehow.

Stuart93
26-06-2019, 01:16 PM
Mind my dad jumped out his seat at the cup final when we scored the 3rd and he stayed in the toilet until full time. He heard the cheer and presumed rangers had equalised.

It was some feeing watching him run back up the stairs towards us

BSEJVT
26-06-2019, 01:19 PM
Have never turned it off but was listening to the Falkirk Playoff match in Orlando going into last few minutes and got cut off

The rest is history

Was absolutely gutted and blazing mad

Onion
26-06-2019, 01:50 PM
2nd leg of the LC Semi (1986 ?) at Ibrox. 2-0 up after the first leg, Davey Cooper scored a trademark free kick to make it 2-1 on agg. Last 10 mins was torture and too much to handle.

Hibs had the whole of the Broomloan Road stand (first set of fans to fill it, outwith Celtic). I went to toilet just to get away from the game... and there were literally DOZENS of Hibs fans pacing up and down under the stand just listening to the crowd :greengrin

magnificent_seven
26-06-2019, 02:03 PM
Hibs - Hamilton in 2014.

I was sitting in the East and "left" when extra time finished. I watched Kevin Thomson miss the first penalty on the TV behind the stand. I knew he had missed before seeing it due to the satellite delay, as I heard the Hamilton fans cheering when he was just stepping up. I left the ground as soon as he missed and found out that we had been relegated by the time I was at the top of ER.

Saint Hibee
26-06-2019, 02:07 PM
2016 Scottish Cup Final. I was at Hampden but kept my eyes firmly shut between SDG’s goal and the final whistle.

Mibbes Aye
26-06-2019, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I was maybe a bit harsh on it. I think he oversells his devoted Arsenal-ness in the first chapter and the rest of the book is more of a diversion into life with a bit of a football theme.

The section about Gus Caesar is sublime. How fine the margins are when trying to make the first team squad.

Kojock
26-06-2019, 03:17 PM
2nd leg of the LC Semi (1986 ?) at Ibrox. 2-0 up after the first leg, Davey Cooper scored a trademark free kick to make it 2-1 on agg. Last 10 mins was torture and too much to handle.

Hibs had the whole of the Broomloan Road stand (first set of fans to fill it, outwith Celtic). I went to toilet just to get away from the game... and there were literally DOZENS of Hibs fans pacing up and down under the stand just listening to the crowd :greengrin

Oct 85 I remember it well as my daughter was born on the Monday and then through to Ibrox on the Wednesday. Great week of celebration.

G B Young
26-06-2019, 04:00 PM

God yes that was a nerve-wracker. I wasn't there but was listening on the radio and the game just seemed endless...

IIRC there was some sort of traffic issue and literally thousands of Hibs fans didn't get into the ground until well after kick-off.

G B Young
26-06-2019, 04:04 PM
Every derby when i was a young lad. My dad used to listen to the "wireless" as i was too young to go. I was a bag of nerves. David Begg had a nack of building tension and excitement. Awfull when you can't see whats going on.

Derbies I tend to give a miss these days. I prefer not to put myself through them and will often just head out on a long dog walk without my phone and check the score when I get back.

Smartie
26-06-2019, 04:07 PM

I tend to agree.

I was young when I read it but I remember really enjoying it.

That was mainly because it was at a time when books about football weren't really the done thing, football fandom full stop wasn't really as "cool" as it went on to become.

Football at that time was a sport for hooligans and the only writing about it tended to be matter of fact and done in newspapers (or for a different perspective, fanzines). The book was something new, paved the way to all sorts of stuff coming out over the next few decades.

Smartie
26-06-2019, 04:11 PM
Derbies I tend to give a miss these days. I prefer not to put myself through them and will often just head out on a long dog walk without my phone and check the score when I get back.

I went to that silly one around Christmas time at Tynecastle and wondered what I was doing there.

I hated it, the tension, the poison was ridiculous.

At least you sometimes get a wee bit of football at an Easter Road derby.

Levein v Lennon derbies were atrocious.

Derbies will always have an edge, but it will be interesting to see if they are any better post-Levein.

scooby
26-06-2019, 04:28 PM
I have a ritual now before games at Hampden and prior to the game take a drive to Flotterstone and have a long walk to clear the head and nerves. Say a wee prayer and then I'm good to go.

Never been there before a game, but a beautiful, peaceful place to clear your head.

weecounty hibby
26-06-2019, 04:53 PM
The playoff game v Airdrie away was a nightmare. My old boss actually sent me home that day as I was a nervous wreck. Had a serious dose of the runs and couldn't eat due to nerves. Was terrible. Conversely on that glorious day in May I was as calm as a calm thing that had been sedated even when we were 2-1 down. I had known since the semis that we were going to win that day

Pagan Hibernia
26-06-2019, 05:08 PM

last Halloween I listened to the tynecastle derby on the radio on my phone. Nearly threw the thing through the telly when it appeared the cardigan wearers had scored a stoppage time winner. Stormed off in a huff for a long walk. Wasn’t until late that night that I could bear checking my phone again and discovered that it was ruled out and we hadn’t actually lost. Never listening to the game on the radio again!

Green-Hibee-7
26-06-2019, 05:13 PM
Swear I was contemplating not watching anymore when that Faroe Island’s Team went a couple up on us last season.

Always get a bit anxious when we are holding on for dear life - more so in big games.

Majority of the league games though either home or away outside Hearts and Rangers I really don’t get overly worked up.

heretoday
26-06-2019, 05:25 PM
I didn't listen to or watch the famous cup win but spent the weekend in Stirling.

A friend texted me the result at full-time.

bigwheel
26-06-2019, 05:28 PM
I didn't listen to or watch the famous cup win but spent the weekend in Stirling.

How did you feel ?? And how did you have the self discipline to not check in

ps. Can you ensure you do the same next time [emoji6]

Ralphy C
26-06-2019, 05:32 PM
Was at that game, most upset and angry after a game ive ever been. But listened to the 6-6 Motherwell game on radio and had to turn it off before the end.

BILLYHIBS
26-06-2019, 07:37 PM
Airdrie 2 v 4 HIBS

Horrible Humans Thread :greengrin

cad
26-06-2019, 08:30 PM
40 odd years ago Hibs V Hajduk Split ,Hibs were 4-2 up first leg ,2nd leg I thought we were a cert got home from school it was on the radio when it got to 2-0 for them I had to go out I couldn't listen to it anymore , just as I was going out Sloop scored an own goal 3-0 couldn't sleep that night absolutely gutted

BILLYHIBS
26-06-2019, 08:38 PM
40 odd years ago Hibs V Hajduk Split ,Hibs were 4-2 up first leg ,2nd leg I thought we were a cert got home from school it was on the radio when it got to 2-0 for them I had to go out I couldn't listen to it anymore , just as I was going out Sloop scored an own goal 3-0 couldn't sleep that night absolutely gutted

I feel your pain

Two crosses to the back post that had Jim Herriot clutching the air as if he was standing in a hole followed by the Sloop og

Herriot never played for HIBS again and Turnbull made the fateful decision to break up the Tornadoes

Lewiehas2
26-06-2019, 08:47 PM
I walked out for the penalties against Hamilton, came back in once I'd heard. Did the same for the Dundee Utd semi-final, was much better coming back after those pens :greengrin

heretoday
26-06-2019, 10:08 PM
How did you feel ?? And how did you have the self discipline to not check in

ps. Can you ensure you do the same next time [emoji6]

Certainly! I had a cold feeling in the pit of my stomach when I knew that the game must have started. I couldn't concentrate on anything.
Wife and I were going round the museum in Stirling when my old pal Jim back in Edinburgh couldn't contain himself and texted me the 3-2 score and seconds later the final result. It was weird walking back to the town centre through sunlit deserted streets.

Jones28
26-06-2019, 10:14 PM

Yepp I'm the same, I'm a lot calmer at the games in person, then watching the tv, but listening to the radio is a different world. Probably due in part to the open all mica format that means you don't know what's going on.

The 90+2
26-06-2019, 10:16 PM
Bizarrely as it meant nothing, couldn't stomach the Barcelona friendly on TV once it looked like being a massacre.

Didn't envisage that Molde away on the radio would have been very enjoyable either.

I left when they score the 4th I think and hibs fans applauded. Wasn’t for me.

hibee_nation
26-06-2019, 10:20 PM
Scottish Cup final I was pacing up and down at back of east stand praying we hold on for extra time. Never saw the goal but my god what a roar and hugging and crying with some dude who was in the back row magic

StevieC
26-06-2019, 11:33 PM
I couldn't listen to the 2nd replay of the '79 cup final .. was at the first game, listened to the second, third game was a bridge too far for a nervous 13 year old

Gloucester Hibs
27-06-2019, 02:20 AM

Me too - on Max AM/Forth 2 or whatever it was called then. Really biased commentary from Mark Donaldson with Craig Patterson summarising. Must have been one of the last sell-out derbies not to have been live on TV, a horrible listen!

G B Young
27-06-2019, 08:03 AM
I couldn't listen to the 2nd replay of the '79 cup final .. was at the first game, listened to the second, third game was a bridge too far for a nervous 13 year old

I remember being allowed to sit up and listen to that second replay on the radio and tears running down my face once I understood that Arthur Duncan had scored at the wrong end.

Pagan Hibernia
27-06-2019, 09:28 AM

In hindsight do you feel you missed out? Any regrets?

G B Young
27-06-2019, 10:49 AM

I have wondered since that day whether any fans simply decided to avoid all contact with the game until it was over. You're the first I've heard from who did so. I think it's a really interesting decision and I might actually have been capable of doing something similar had the decision been mine alone to make. However, those I went to the game with would given such thinking short shrift and I have to say I will be endlessly glad that I was at Hampden that day. Nevertheless, I can't say for sure whether my joy would have been any less had I avoided the game!

Seekyit
27-06-2019, 12:37 PM
Me too - on Max AM/Forth 2 or whatever it was called then. Really biased commentary from Mark Donaldson with Craig Patterson summarising. Must have been one of the last sell-out derbies not to have been live on TV, a horrible listen!

Stand to be corrected here but I think there have been only five derbies since then not televised and Hibs have won all of them:-

April 2005 Hearts 1 Hibs 2 (O' Connor, Sheils).
Nov 2005 Hibs 2 Hearts 0 (Beuzilin, O'Connor)
April 2006 Hibs 2 Hearts 1 (Benji winner a couple of weeks after that semi final)
Feb 2016 Hibs 1 Hearts 0 (SC Replay, Cummings)
Feb 2017 Hibs 3 Hearts 1 (SC Cup Replay, Cummings, Holt, Shinnie)

Think most of those sold out or if not pretty close.

With regards not being able to watch/listen, the second half of the SC replay in 2016 was the longest 45 minutes, one of the most nervous experiences I've had at a match, so desperate was I that we put one over them.

Wee Dave
27-06-2019, 01:47 PM
Was at that game, most upset and angry after a game ive ever been. But listened to the 6-6 Motherwell game on radio and had to turn it off before the end.

4-4 and the 6-6 were the games that immediately sprung to mind. The commentators voice suddenly gets excited, you’re not 100% sure who’s attacking, and then the sickening feeling once you realise what’s happened

A bit older and wiser now, I like to think it makes the highs all the more sweeter, but it’s torture at the time

Spike Mandela
27-06-2019, 01:50 PM
Sproules hat trick at Ibrox. As soon as the first went in I couldn’t listen to what I thought would be the inevitable Rangers onslaught so went out for a walk.

Imagine my reaction when I got in 30 mins later or so and checked the score.:greengrin

heretoday
27-06-2019, 02:01 PM
I have wondered since that day whether any fans simply decided to avoid all contact with the game until it was over. You're the first I've heard from who did so. I think it's a really interesting decision and I might actually have been capable of doing something similar had the decision been mine alone to make. However, those I went to the game with would given such thinking short shrift and I have to say I will be endlessly glad that I was at Hampden that day. Nevertheless, I can't say for sure whether my joy would have been any less had I avoided the game!

It must have been great at the match for sure. The last time I saw Hibs at Hampden was the Skol Cup win - not a good game at all. I never think we play well there and it's too much strain for me watching live.
By the way I spent the 5-1 cup final in a forest in Perthshire - definitely a wise decision!

The 90+2
27-06-2019, 02:19 PM
Stand to be corrected here but I think there have been only five derbies since then not televised and Hibs have won all of them:-

April 2005 Hearts 1 Hibs 2 (O' Connor, Sheils).
Nov 2005 Hibs 2 Hearts 0 (Beuzilin, O'Connor)
April 2006 Hibs 2 Hearts 1 (Benji winner a couple of weeks after that semi final)
Feb 2016 Hibs 1 Hearts 0 (SC Replay, Cummings)
Feb 2017 Hibs 3 Hearts 1 (SC Cup Replay, Cummings, Holt, Shinnie)

Think most of those sold out or if not pretty close.

With regards not being able to watch/listen, the second half of the SC replay in 2016 was the longest 45 minutes, one of the most nervous experiences I've had at a match, so desperate was I that we put one over them.

Went to all of them while missing shed loads in between 😁

Seekyit
27-06-2019, 02:28 PM
Went to all of them while missing shed loads in between 😁

At least you could watch them on the telly.:greengrin

The 90+2
27-06-2019, 02:37 PM
At least you could watch them on the telly.:greengrin

Don’t have a telly mate - I’m vegan!

Whoops wrong thread. :greengrin.

hibby6270
27-06-2019, 03:23 PM
1991 League Cup Semi against Rangers. Wasn’t at the game. Watched most of it on Sky Sports. After we went 1-0 up with Keith’s header, I was up and down out of living room for virtually the whole second half. Managed to be less restless up to half time but the kitchen, bedroom, toilet saw me visit them more times in 45 minutes than I would normally in a week. Budgie played his best game for us that night (imo) and for me was the main reason we got to the final.

Apart from 2004, I’ve never felt so confident going to a final than in 1991. At least that one turned out OK. More than can be said for 2004.:rolleyes:

TheMentalHibees
27-06-2019, 04:06 PM
Was so nervous I turned my back for the penalties in the playoff game against Hamilton. Turned round in time to see Cummings miss. Horrible day but things have gotten a wee bit better since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk