PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Humans Playing For Hibs

HFC_NYC
25-06-2019, 06:25 PM
Having just watched Doidge's interview on Hibs TV, he comes across as a really nice guy (as have all the recent signings) which got me thinking, who are the nastiest (in terms of being an absolute welt) players to have played for Hibs? I'm thinking of guys in the same league as Ian Black, Skacel, Morellos etc. I honestly can't think of anyone that would fit this description.

Barney McGrew
25-06-2019, 06:26 PM
Ricardo Vaz Te.

Absolute welt of a laddie.

Vault Boy
25-06-2019, 06:31 PM
Martin Scott has to be up there surely. Nearly blinded his teammate.

Sylar
25-06-2019, 06:31 PM
Matt Doherty's name must be due an airing, no?

BILLYHIBS
25-06-2019, 06:32 PM
Islam Feruz

Carpets on the outside of his car

“ It wisnae me Officer a big boy did it and ran away”

What’s not to like?

The 90+2
25-06-2019, 06:34 PM
Gary Caldwell.

Sylar
25-06-2019, 06:38 PM
I'd probably put Stokes in this camp too.

The company he keeps, the situations he finds himself in...

cmcd
25-06-2019, 06:57 PM

Stokes will always be a Hibs hero

MyJo
25-06-2019, 06:58 PM
Tin hat on.........

Riordan was a bit of a character on his day.

green with envy
25-06-2019, 06:58 PM
Jeezo, what a negative thread to start.

The 90+2
25-06-2019, 06:59 PM

All of the ingredients you described probably enhances his performances against rangers and certainly did that special day. He’s a god like human being 😂

Iggy Pope
25-06-2019, 07:07 PM

Hun!

Sylar
25-06-2019, 07:10 PM
Stokes will always be a Hibs hero

Of that, I'm absolutely not debating. Forever a legend for THAT day.

But anyone who parties with known IRA members, and has an arrest warrant hanging over his head must have a somewhat questionable character about them.

Sylar
25-06-2019, 07:16 PM
Hun!

Been a while since I was branded a "Hun" on here - it's been so long in fact, that this almost isn't stale patter.

Almost...

Centre Hawf
25-06-2019, 09:08 PM

But anyone who parties with known IRA members, and has an arrest warrant hanging over his head must have a somewhat questionable character about them.

Legend for that day but the guys a prick on a personal level.

overdrive
25-06-2019, 09:13 PM
Lewis Stevenson

:faf:

iwasthere1972
25-06-2019, 09:25 PM

Defo Stokes going by the way he murdered the Rangers defence on that beautiful day.

The Modfather
25-06-2019, 10:06 PM
Tin hat on.........

Yep, and O’Connor too.

Eyrie
25-06-2019, 10:35 PM
Oli Gottskalksson had an "interesting" time after leaving Hibs.

The 90+2
25-06-2019, 10:35 PM
Andy Goram count?

Del Boy
25-06-2019, 10:41 PM
Andy Goram count?

Only to about 5.

The 90+2
25-06-2019, 10:42 PM
Only to about 5.

:greengrin

I’ll add Gordon Durie to the list too then.

iwasthere1972
25-06-2019, 11:05 PM
Darren Jackson

percy veer
25-06-2019, 11:45 PM
what a negative thread, can honestly say after meeting plaers in bars and calendar signings ad open days stokes and Jackson and the other's mentioned on here seem to be quite pleasant to talk too.

Hibbyradge
25-06-2019, 11:50 PM
Paul Hartley.

Close the thread.

The 90+2
26-06-2019, 01:33 AM
Michael O’Neil and his Potter love.

Perd Hapley
26-06-2019, 02:22 AM
I mean one can judge Stokes on the IRA stuff and all the rest but personally it's the way he threw away his Hibs career in the Algarve that sticks in the craw for me. Fantastically talented footballer, a man with his name etched into our history books, still undeniably a bit of a t**t

Edit: not to mention the whole assault on an actor thing. Not to detract from the 21st of May but if I could have picked someone to be the hero that day it wouldn't have been Tony Stokes. Still history is history

shamo9
26-06-2019, 03:36 AM
Akpo Sodje

Hibernia&Alba
26-06-2019, 04:17 AM
Andy Goram count?

Of course he counts. became a hardline Loyalist and bigot at Rangers, mixing with some right nutters. Remember the UVF flag photo? Horrible guy. Best keeper I've seen at Hibs in my time, though.

Since452
26-06-2019, 05:56 AM
Darren McCormack

DetroitHibs
26-06-2019, 06:11 AM
On the park..... Scott Brown. He’s a snide *****bag

BILLYHIBS
26-06-2019, 06:15 AM
Darren Jackson

:wink:

Only when he is playing against you

He was decent for us but a little stoat for the Arabs and the yams

Oh almost forgot Celtic a big stoat in that case :greengrin

ben johnson
26-06-2019, 06:17 AM
Darren Jackson

Played some fantastic football for Hibs.
Took the relegation play off against Airdrie by the scruff of the neck and pulled us through
Forced his way into the Scotland set up when playing for Hibs.
When Lex Gold sold him we missed him so much we got relegated the first season without him.
Yeah what a can’t.

Currie Hibee
26-06-2019, 06:26 AM
not sure they fall into the horrible human category but Barry Lavety had his off field issues and also Didier Agathe for the way he left us for Celtic.

BILLYHIBS
26-06-2019, 07:11 AM
Took the relegation play off against Airdrie by the scruff of the neck and pulled us through
When Lex Gold sold him we missed him so much we got relegated the first season without him.
Yeah what a can’t.

Spot on

Most nervous I have ever been at a football match

1-0 up from the first leg HIBS conceded a penalty in the first minute which they missed

Hibs were a poor side and Airdrie were the worst side you could hope to meet full of exjambos hackers and kickers

Four penalties in the game Jackson kept his nerve and scored two

Keith Wright came on in his last appearance for HIBS and scored in a 4-2 win

The relief at the final whistle was immense

I looked behind me and Joe Baker Lawrie Reilly and Pat Stanton were sitting together that is how much that game meant to the club

As the OP said Darren Jackson grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck as we had looked like a team heading down

TelaStella
26-06-2019, 07:27 AM
Enter Gary Caldwell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1van Sprou7e
26-06-2019, 07:54 AM
What makes Gary Caldwell such a horrible human?

The 90+2
26-06-2019, 08:08 AM
Of course he counts. became a hardline Loyalist and bigot at Rangers, mixing with some right nutters. Remember the UVF flag photo? Horrible guy. Best keeper I've seen at Hibs in my time, though.

Was too young to remember him for us, that’s why I asked :greengrin

The 90+2
26-06-2019, 08:10 AM
What makes Gary Caldwell such a horrible human?

Exhibit a) https://www.thefreelibrary.com/SHAMELESS%3B+EXCLUSIVE+Rat+Caldwell+paraded+wife+o n+the+pitch..+while...-a0163618646

Hibernian32
26-06-2019, 08:30 AM
Chris Killen for obvious reasons

hibbyfraelibby
26-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Tin hat on.........

Incoming...Riordan's hangers on were charcters in his day.

The 90+2
26-06-2019, 09:09 AM
Incoming...Riordan's hangers on were charcters in his day.

Big Gaz was 10x worse.

SingaporeHibs
26-06-2019, 09:44 AM
Cannae believe some of the names being mentioned in this thread. The thread title is horrible humans and not misguided silly lads of whom We’ve had more than our fair share, Deeks & Gaz to name a couple that have been mentioned.
Stokes - undeniable legend, just a bit stupid.

marinello59
26-06-2019, 09:49 AM
Cannae believe some of the names being mentioned in this thread. The thread title is horrible humans and not misguided silly lads of whom We’ve had more than our fair share, Deeks & Gaz to name a couple that have been mentioned.
Stokes - undeniable legend, just a bit stupid.

The thread title should be Flawed humans, just like the rest of us.

Smartie
26-06-2019, 09:51 AM
The thread title should be Flawed humans, just like the rest of us.

Everyone mentioned on here has had a "misguided, daft laddie" moment in them somewhere down the line.

Horrible humans with links to Hibs? I can think of Gordon Neely and David Rowland, nobody else beyond them as far as I can see.

GreenCastle
26-06-2019, 10:05 AM
What an odd thread title ?

Just delete

BILLYHIBS
26-06-2019, 10:54 AM
Everyone mentioned on here has had a "misguided, daft laddie" moment in them somewhere down the line.

Horrible humans with links to Hibs? I can think of Gordon Neely and David Rowland, nobody else beyond them as far as I can see.

On a positive note I wish to nominate Sheila Rowland for saving us by refusing to sell her shares to a lowlife of a husband 😁

Barman Stanton
26-06-2019, 10:55 AM
Brutal thread. Just another excuse to stick the boot into our own legends. Weird forum this at times.

Smartie
26-06-2019, 10:59 AM
On a positive note I wish to nominate Sheila Rowland for saving us by refusing to sell her shares to a lowlife of a husband 😁

If there was ever to be a book about the great unsung heroes of our club, she'd be up there with the best of them.

A true heroine and she made a significant contribution to us still having a club for all of the daft laddies mentioned in this thread to play for.

lyonhibs
26-06-2019, 11:23 AM
Exhibit a) https://www.thefreelibrary.com/SHAMELESS%3B+EXCLUSIVE+Rat+Caldwell+paraded+wife+o n+the+pitch..+while...-a0163618646

:singing: What's it like to **** a Hun :singing:

Ahhhhh, simpler times.

WeeRussell
26-06-2019, 12:40 PM
Been a while since I was branded a "Hun" on here - it's been so long in fact, that this almost isn't stale patter.

Almost...

I could be wrong but I think he was taking the p1ss out of those posters who would genuinely brand you so for the comments :aok:

Oh and from my limited exposure to player character stories etc... I get the impression Gary O'Connor wasn't the nicest of laddies.

WeeRussell
26-06-2019, 12:44 PM
Brutal thread. Just another excuse to stick the boot into our own legends. Weird forum this at times.

"brutal" and "weird". It's no that bad, hardly doing any harm discussing characters of players that used to play for us.

I find it a bit more weird that people like to pretend everything and everyone ever to be involved at Hibs is perfect and we should never suggest otherwise. A bit like in the playground when Hibs were the good guys and Hearts were all bad (fairly true right enough).

ben johnson
26-06-2019, 01:12 PM
Spot on

Most nervous I have ever been at a football match

1-0 up from the first leg HIBS conceded a penalty in the first minute which they missed

Hibs were a poor side and Airdrie were the worst side you could hope to meet full of exjambos hackers and kickers

Four penalties in the game Jackson kept his nerve and scored two

Keith Wright came on in his last appearance for HIBS and scored in a 4-2 win

The relief at the final whistle was immense

I looked behind me and Joe Baker Lawrie Reilly and Pat Stanton were sitting together that is how much that game meant to the club

As the OP said Darren Jackson grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck as we had looked like a team heading down

They actually scored after 90 seconds of the second leg and then as the OP mentioned missed a penalty but after about 35 minutes.
We were rocking and in deep trouble until Jackson decided to sort them out. We had a terrible record against Airdrie and as Billy said nerves were shredded that evening
It was a stay of execution as Jackson went to Celtic and we went down the next season. Lex Gold tried to justify the sale in a telephone conversation after I had faxed , yes Faxed , my worries for the coming season minus Darren
I was worrying about nothing he told me
I never received another call from him after it all went pear shaped

zinaru
26-06-2019, 01:12 PM
Mickaël Antoine-Curier is the correct answer...

SMAXXA
26-06-2019, 01:43 PM
Matt Doherty's name must be due an airing, no?

That was the first one to spring to my mind

SRHibs
26-06-2019, 01:49 PM

He pretty much ruined some guy's life then fled the country. Outside of his Hibs credentials he's an awful person.

Iggy Pope
26-06-2019, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE=WeeRussell;5824439]I could be wrong but I think he was taking the p1ss out of those posters who would genuinely brand you so for the comments :aok:

I really wasn’t you know.

Iggy Pope
26-06-2019, 03:04 PM
They actually scored after 90 seconds of the second leg and then as the OP mentioned missed a penalty but after about 35 minutes.
We were rocking and in deep trouble until Jackson decided to sort them out. We had a terrible record against Airdrie and as Billy said nerves were shredded that evening
It was a stay of execution as Jackson went to Celtic and we went down the next season. Lex Gold tried to justify the sale in a telephone conversation after I had faxed , yes Faxed , my worries for the coming season minus Darren

The morning I picked up my ST I got in to find Jackson was going to Celtic. I went back and demanded my money back which was deemed non refundable. An awful time. Let’s get duds like Lex Gold on this list rather than a player who was a solid pro for us. And an entertaining one at that.

Barman Stanton
26-06-2019, 03:20 PM
"brutal" and "weird". It's no that bad, hardly doing any harm discussing characters of players that used to play for us.

I find it a bit more weird that people like to pretend everything and everyone ever to be involved at Hibs is perfect and we should never suggest otherwise. A bit like in the playground when Hibs were the good guys and Hearts were all bad (fairly true right enough).

Who is pretending Hibs players are perfect?? Certainly not myself. I just dont see what good it does slagging of our own players /and especially ex players. But so many on here seem to lap it up. Riordan, Stokes, O'Connor on this thread. Have read the likes of Stubbs, Cummings and Fyvie get it as well recently (only picking out our cup winners there).

In the times I have been over on kickback I have never seen them rip into their own players like happens on here. Who needs enemies when we can stick the boot in ourselves :dunno:

ben johnson
26-06-2019, 03:35 PM
The morning I picked up my ST I got in to find Jackson was going to Celtic. I went back and demanded my money back which was deemed non refundable. An awful time. Let’s get duds like Lex Gold on this list rather than a player who was a solid pro for us. And an entertaining one at that.

He could have walked out at the WC opener v Brazil as a Hibs player.
But he is in the programme as a Celtic player. He had some great games in World Cup group to qualify for France
World class goal in Latvia.
Won a penalty in Minsk.
Great game at Ibrox v Sweden
to name a few.
Aye Lex Gold. Another admin man out his depth.

BILLYHIBS
26-06-2019, 04:26 PM
I thought we went behind early doors but wasn’t sure typical HIBS

I remember it was do or die

Four penalties a man sent off ( Airdrie) and an Airdrie player with a broken leg

A match certainly not for the feint hearted

Apart from Jackson grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck and pulling us up by the boots I also remember Jim Leighton having an excellent game as both goal keepers were kept busy

As you quite rightly said it only delayed the inevitable

ben johnson
26-06-2019, 04:35 PM

Four penalties a man sent off ( Airdrie) and an Airdrie player with a broken leg

Apart from Jackson grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck and pulling us up by the boots I also remember Jim Leighton having an excellent game as both goal keepers were kept busy

Man sent off when it was running away from
Airdrie
Well well what a surprise :

Airdrie captain, Jimmy Sandison, realising he would not be seeing McGinlay's face in the premier division, left his mark on it with his elbow. It was a needless sending off, but a deserved one, when he was shown the red card.

ben johnson
26-06-2019, 04:47 PM

Funny how you remember games but forget vital parts of the game I forgot about the circumstances leading to their early goal.
Just reading a report of the game and Leighton went for a cross and looked to be favourite until Yogi more or less headed it out his hands for paddy Connolly to roll it in to an empty net.
I remember Leighton having a stormer after that setback as you mentioned

Waxy
26-06-2019, 07:00 PM
Brutal thread.

percy veer
26-06-2019, 08:23 PM
He could have walked out at the WC opener v Brazil as a Hibs player.
But he is in the programme as a Celtic player. He had some great games in World Cup group to qualify for France
World class goal in Latvia.
Won a penalty in Minsk.
Great game at Ibrox v Sweden
to name a few.
Aye Lex Gold. Another admin man out his depth.

you think Jackson would not have pushed for the celtic move?

lord bunberry
26-06-2019, 08:55 PM
Brutal thread.
Agreed. I don’t know what goes through people’s head at times.

Hibrandenburg
26-06-2019, 08:59 PM
Joe Harper. Was hoping Doddy would be on to post this, hope he's ok.

Hibernia&Alba
26-06-2019, 09:03 PM
Brutal thread.

That's a bit harsh. Perhaps the thread title is a bit OTT, but a lot of footballers are roasters, some at Hibs. A thread about anti-heroes is fine.

Tomsk
26-06-2019, 09:11 PM
That's a bit harsh. Perhaps the thread title is a bit OTT, but a lot of footballers are roasters, some at Hibs. A thread about anti-heroes is fine.

Well, if folk are going to level accusations of being a horrible human being at players then at least back it up - angling for a move to another club is hardly the definition of a horrible human being. :confused:

Winston Ingram
26-06-2019, 09:18 PM
Ryan McGivern. Always struck me as someone who thought we were a massive step down for him

Hibernia&Alba
26-06-2019, 09:30 PM
Well, if folk are going to level accusations of being a horrible human being at players then at least back it up - angling for a move to another club is hardly the definition of a horrible human being. :confused:

Yes, I would have gone with 'Roasters Playing For Hibs'.

calamitus
26-06-2019, 09:33 PM
Yeah what a can’t.

I'm not saying he carried that team, but I remember him literally passing to himself on the wing from the edge of our box one time when we were defending a corner that season. Genuinely think he's one of the most underrated Scottish players of the last few decades. Never the same player after his brain issue, unfortunately. Exactly the kind of annoyingly snarky player you love when he's on your side and hate when he's playing for the opposition.

Smartie
26-06-2019, 09:43 PM
I'm not saying he carried that team, but I remember him literally passing to himself on the wing from the edge of our box one time when we were defending a corner that season. Genuinely think he's one of the most underrated Scottish players of the last few decades. Never the same player after his brain issue, unfortunately. Exactly the kind of annoyingly snarky player you love when he's on your side and hate when he's playing for the opposition.

He's probably my favourite player in my time watching Hibs and at times he was absolutely outstanding, in exactly the way you describe.

That a player can leave Hibs and go on to play for Celtic and Hearts yet have me still really like him says it all.

We saw the best of him.

BILLYHIBS
26-06-2019, 09:45 PM
Exactly what I said :

Love to hate

I remember he scored against us for United in the SC up at Tannadice and he was right across rubbing our noses in it but then he was part of the dream team with Keith Keith Keith Wright I would have preferred Tommy Coyne but it worked out just fine

CMurdoch
26-06-2019, 09:47 PM
That is a horrible title for a thread and generally only folk close to the club would know who the horrible individuals were.
Those who only think about themselves in any given situation are fairly thick on the ground in the real world so there will have been many at our club but horrible human beings is a big stretch.

ben johnson
26-06-2019, 09:49 PM
you think Jackson would not have pushed for the celtic move?

It’s a fair point He might have and I can’t recall the contract details with Hibs at the time.
I do know Lex Gold was delighted he was going. I mentioned earlier that he called me at home to discuss the issue after I had sent a fax on the matter
Lex thought it was a great deal for a player coming to the end of his career
and was not as vital to the team as some people thought.
We kicked it about and I totally opposed everything he said
He ended the conversation by saying “ the more we talk the more I think we are in agreement over this matter “
Then he wished me well and told me the Club was going places
That place was the League below.
Never once praised Jackson nor did he make efforts to keep him
at the club
At the end of the relegation season, the fighter he was , he resigned

lord bunberry
26-06-2019, 09:51 PM
Exactly mate, it’s a dreadful thread to bring up, all these guys played for hibs and some worked out well others didn’t. To label them horrible human beings is beyond ridiculous and unfair. I wonder if the op would be happy if Reading fans were calling Marc McNulty a horrible human being, or maybe Scott Allan? They’re football players and most of us don’t know what they’re like as human beings.

BILLYHIBS
26-06-2019, 10:06 PM
Horrible title but it has stimulated lots of interesting discussion and memories but I take the point they are not really horrible human beings they are simply just footballers and like us at the end of the day they are just human

heretoday
26-06-2019, 10:18 PM
Ryan McGivern. Always struck me as someone who thought we were a massive step down for him

He was terrible but not horrible!

Mixu62
26-06-2019, 10:36 PM
He's probably my favourite player in my time watching Hibs and at times he was absolutely outstanding, in exactly the way you describe.

That a player can leave Hibs and go on to play for Celtic and Hearts yet have me still really like him says it all.

We saw the best of him.

Having started his career at Meadowbank, he's probably the last player to have played for all 3 league clubs in Edinburgh. Unless there's anyone currently at City who can claim that title?

Chic Charnley was undoubtedly a "character". People have used the term "mis-guided" or "silly laddie" but the guy was about 30 when he joined us!!

The 90+2
26-06-2019, 10:42 PM
Having started his career at Meadowbank, he's probably the last player to have played for all 3 league clubs in Edinburgh. Unless there's anyone currently at City who can claim that title?

Chic Charnley was undoubtedly a "character". People have used the term "mis-guided" or "silly laddie" but the guy was about 30 when he joined us!!

Danny Galbraith comes close but your right I think.

basehibby
27-06-2019, 06:26 AM
I'll raise you all Fife Hyland - former Hibs director who now Communications Director for Drum Property Group - the firm responsible for the wanton destruction of businesses, jobs and community on Leith Walk - a despicable piece of filth.

BILLYHIBS
27-06-2019, 11:48 AM

Chic was 33 when he joined us 😳

Peevemor
27-06-2019, 11:51 AM
Chic Charnley isn't horrible in any way. He's just a bam - nothing wrong with that.

Long live the bams!

AndyM_1875
27-06-2019, 12:20 PM
Chic Charnley isn't horrible in any way. He's just a bam - nothing wrong with that.

Long live the bams!

He is a lovely guy but an utter bam.

A mate of mine who is a bluenose used to play alongside Chic in the juniors and loves him to bits. He also told me he would regularly drive through Possilpark and see Chic plus his daft mates hanging around outside the bookies with a 4 pack of Tennents at their feet and their shirt pockets full of betting slips.

This would be of an afternoon whilst Chic was still playing as a professional at Dundee or Thistle. :greengrin

Not sure how Chic would do in the modern era of football.