PDA

View Full Version : There’s only on San Siro....

Frazerbob
24-06-2019, 12:45 PM
So the rubbish San Siro is to be demolished meaning the Leith San Siro will be the one and only!

Since452
24-06-2019, 12:49 PM
Sad to hear such an iconic stadium is to be no more

Onceinawhile
24-06-2019, 12:57 PM
I hear the guiseppe meazza stadium is going to be knocked down as well?

Renfrew_Hibby
24-06-2019, 01:00 PM

Exactly, no such stadium as the San Siro! The Guiseppe Meazza may be located in the San Siro district but the stadium is indeed named after the legendary Internazionale icon.

Would love Inter to regain sole control of the new ground and tell AC to do one, sadly finances will dictate otherwise.

Antifa Hibs
24-06-2019, 01:01 PM
Been to it 4-5 times to see both Inter and AC - great stadium. Bit dated but adds to the charm and plenty character about it. Some walk to the top tiers though!

Strange they couldn't refurbish this but I guess the money is in custom built hospitality tiers/boxes/sections (See Spurs and Arsenal etc). Also strange they're only opting for a 60,000 seater - rules them out of any future Champions League Final's and AC and Inter will have a smaller stadium than Celtic and Feyenoord! (When they build there new one)

Roma are wanting a new stadium too but having trouble with the Rome Mayor etc. Naples are refurbing there stadium so hopefully they manage to stay put along with Samp and Genoa. Losing too many iconic stadiums. Not a fan of these new modern "areans".

The 90+2
24-06-2019, 01:01 PM
Are they going to be sharing a new place?

Renfrew_Hibby
24-06-2019, 01:06 PM
A replica of Spurs new ground but with both ends being huge single tiered banks (one for each club) would be astounding though.

Remember Juventus also downsized when they built their new stadium. The old Stadio delle Alpe was around 70,000 whereas the new place only holds 41,000.

Frazerbob
24-06-2019, 01:07 PM

Nobody likes a smart arse

Frazerbob
24-06-2019, 01:08 PM
Exactly, no such stadium as the San Siro! The Guiseppe Meazza may be located in the San Siro district but the stadium is indeed named after the legendary Internazionale icon.

Would love Inter to regain sole control of the new ground and tell AC to do one, sadly finances will dictate otherwise.

See above

Frazerbob
24-06-2019, 01:09 PM
I trust the 2 posters quoted above never refer to Celtic’s stadium as Parkhead.

MWHIBBIES
24-06-2019, 01:38 PM

The stadium was built and owned by Milan (not AC, thats a type of electrical current) some 20 years before Inter moved in.

The Modfather
24-06-2019, 01:46 PM
I went a couple of years ago, was some game. Was Inter’s home game, Milan equalised with the last kick of the ball to make it 2-2. Loved it, a shame it won’t be there for much longer.

Clarence
24-06-2019, 01:55 PM

I’m sure I remember James Richardson telling me old Guiseppe played for Inter and AC.

Renfrew_Hibby
24-06-2019, 02:00 PM
I’m sure I remember James Richardson telling me old Guiseppe played for Inter and AC.

Inter legend, may also have played for AC but only Inter fans refer to the ground in his name.

EI255
24-06-2019, 02:15 PM
So the rubbish San Siro is to be demolished meaning the Leith San Siro will be the one and only!

Olympic stadium in Rome needs a refurb too. Long overdue!

Smartie
24-06-2019, 02:21 PM
Been to it 4-5 times to see both Inter and AC - great stadium. Bit dated but adds to the charm and plenty character about it. Some walk to the top tiers though!

Strange they couldn't refurbish this but I guess the money is in custom built hospitality tiers/boxes/sections (See Spurs and Arsenal etc). Also strange they're only opting for a 60,000 seater - rules them out of any future Champions League Final's and AC and Inter will have a smaller stadium than Celtic and Feyenoord! (When they build there new one)

Roma are wanting a new stadium too but having trouble with the Rome Mayor etc. Naples are refurbing there stadium so hopefully they manage to stay put along with Samp and Genoa. Losing too many iconic stadiums. Not a fan of these new modern "areans".

A lot of the grounds being replaced are relatively new. They've been pretty unpopular (for various reasons) and quickly became outdated.

I welcome many of the new arenas. I miss the old Scottish grounds the most, including our own. The move from the old "main stand and loads of terracing" to soulless all seaters has removed much of the soul from Scottish football.

Since452
24-06-2019, 02:52 PM
A lot of the grounds being replaced are relatively new. They've been pretty unpopular (for various reasons) and quickly became outdated.

I welcome many of the new arenas. I miss the old Scottish grounds the most, including our own. The move from the old "main stand and loads of terracing" to soulless all seaters has removed much of the soul from Scottish football.

The generic bowl type stadia in England are pretty soulless too. Think a lot of Arsenal fans still pine for Highbury. Middlesbroughs ground must be the most soulless south of the border though. I think it's slightly different up here as most of the big clubs have renovated instead of relocating. I have a funny feeling Aberdeens new ground will have the same soulless feel as Middlesbroughs. Pittodrie hardly an intimidating venue as it is. Unless you have a fear of seagulls that is.

Here’s Lucy!
24-06-2019, 03:05 PM
Nobody likes a smart arse

I trust the 2 posters quoted above never refer to Celtic’s stadium as Parkhead.

Exactly!

It’s always been the San Siro to me.

Billy Whizz
24-06-2019, 03:15 PM
Exactly!

Think I’ve put this on before
Put Leith into your Apple weather app

franck sauzee
24-06-2019, 03:22 PM
Went to see Man U there almost 10 years ago. 3-2 Man U goals from Scholes, Rooney, Ronaldinho and Seedorf. What a game! Also Beckham's first game against United I think. The atmosphere is incredible. Even just when they read out the Milan team it was deafening

Since452
24-06-2019, 03:23 PM
Exactly!

Yup. San Siro, Parkhead, Upton Park, Pink Bus Shelter etc. That's what they're commonly known as.

lyonhibs
24-06-2019, 03:33 PM
See above

Especially when they've not spelt Giuseppe Meazza correctly :greengrin

A truly iconic stadium, visited it on a roasting August day à couple of years ago. Unique and characterful, it'll be missed I'd imagine.

renato
24-06-2019, 03:41 PM
There’s been a significant level of movement on the top tiers of San Siro, although apparently within acceptable tolerance. A lot of people, however, are questioning whether it’s safe.

It’s a bit of a dump these days but probably the most iconic stadium in the world, for me. In the old Champions League days ala when Milan pumped Man Utd a decade or so ago, for my money then it’s the most atmospheric and intimidating stadium in Europe.

Real shame both clubs want / need to restart again, albeit only a short distance away - but they both desperately need to modernise and get the income that brings.

The biggest hurdle however is council ownership, as the current mayor wants to own this stadium too. That’ll continue to hamper them financially, so it may never get off the ground..

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-06-2019, 05:15 PM
It's always been an ambition to get there since the Matthaus days @ Inter, yet to make it unfortunately.

The 90+2
24-06-2019, 05:38 PM
Think I’ve put this on before
Put Leith into your Apple weather app

Quality 😁

hfc rd
24-06-2019, 05:44 PM
https://youtu.be/n6zR9et8KfE

What an atmosphere!

MagicSwirlingShip
24-06-2019, 08:50 PM
There’s been a significant level of movement on the top tiers of San Siro, although apparently within acceptable tolerance. A lot of people, however, are questioning whether it’s safe.

It’s a bit of a dump these days but probably the most iconic stadium in the world, for me. In the old Champions League days ala when Milan pumped Man Utd a decade or so ago, for my money then it’s the most atmospheric and intimidating stadium in Europe.

Real shame both clubs want / need to restart again, albeit only a short distance away - but they both desperately need to modernise and get the income that brings.

The biggest hurdle however is council ownership, as the current mayor wants to own this stadium too. That’ll continue to hamper them financially, so it may never get off the ground..

Definitely up there with Camp Nou, The Maracana, La Bombonera as one of the most Iconic stadiums. Gutted I've never been

Smartie
24-06-2019, 09:30 PM
Definitely up there with Camp Nou, The Maracana, La Bombonera as one of the most Iconic stadiums. Gutted I've never been

Surely you (and I) still have a few years to get over and experience it?

Italian political wrangling re funding, then actually building the new stadium will take a while.

Antifa Hibs
25-06-2019, 08:03 AM

Plenty flights to Milan and Bergamo and easy to get tickets. Fairly cheap aswell. You'll get behind the goals for under 30,eur i'd imagine.

BigKev
25-06-2019, 09:09 AM
I was there in 2005 for the Scotland match and in the top tier. Iconic stadium but even back then was showing signs of age.

My lasting memories of the trip were Milan is minging, Inter Ultras wanting a fight and getting fleeced for 50 Euro's after some wee Moroccan putting bird seed in my hand to feed pigeons in Duomo Square and snatching the note out my hand before I could dig out something smaller and bolting.

MagicSwirlingShip
25-06-2019, 09:30 AM
Surely you (and I) still have a few years to get over and experience it?

Italian political wrangling re funding, then actually building the new stadium will take a while.

Serves me right for not looking into the article. I was under the impression it was closed and works due to start.

Reckon the Mrs would like Milan too, nae doubt about it 😂

edinburghhibee
25-06-2019, 10:21 AM
Such a shame! Wonderful stadium!

Was there in March for the recent 3-2 Milan derby and the minute you get off the train and walk around the corner and see it... just amazing

We arrived an hour early and the noise you could hear from outside was deafening.

The atmosphere was easily the best I’ve ever heard and we were lucky enough to get a cracking game tae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KazHibby
26-06-2019, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=Renfrew_Hibby;5822094]Exactly, no such stadium as the San Siro! The Guiseppe Meazza may be located in the San Siro district but the stadium is indeed named after the legendary Internazionale icon.

Would love Inter to regain sole control of the new ground and tell AC to do one, sadly finances will dictate otherwise.[/QUOT

AC Milan played there from 1926, Internationals arrived in 1945!