PDA

View Full Version : NHC St Mirren Manager Sacked?

Frazerbob
23-06-2019, 05:46 PM
Oran Kearney told not to attend the first day of pre-season training.

bingo70
23-06-2019, 05:47 PM

Think Jim Goodwin is a certainty for that job.

Since452
23-06-2019, 05:49 PM
There were strong roumours he'd be going back to Ireland weeks ago. I quite like St Mirren but their owners/board have some mental ideas about where they should be. Top 4 was quoted recently and probably on a shoestring budget.

GloryGlory
23-06-2019, 05:51 PM

I think the euphemism is "gardening leave".

It was rumoured earlier that Kearney was unhappy about aspects of the plans for next season, so not a surprise.

GloryGlory
23-06-2019, 05:52 PM
There were strong roumours he'd be going back to Ireland weeks ago. I quite like like St Mirren but their owners/board have some mental ideas about where they should be. Top 4 was quoted recently and probably on a shoestring budget.

Tony Fitzpatrick seems to be a bit too, ahem, hands-on.

CockneyRebel
23-06-2019, 06:04 PM

It was rumoured earlier that Kearney was unhappy about aspects of the plans for next season, so not a surprise.

I read that he has been commuting from Ireland and the board wanted him to move over (not really a surprising demand).

SMAXXA
23-06-2019, 06:11 PM
I read that he has been commuting from Ireland and the board wanted him to move over (not really a surprising demand).

Difference does it make certainly didn’t hinder him so far in the job the guy has worked wonders. Another basket case by the sounds of Vladimir Fitzpatrick

Hibernia&Alba
23-06-2019, 06:15 PM
There were strong roumours he'd be going back to Ireland weeks ago. I quite like St Mirren but their owners/board have some mental ideas about where they should be. Top 4 was quoted recently and probably on a shoestring budget.

By whom? That's a crazy idea for a club of their size. Ambition is great, but it has to be sustainable - see Gretna.

Since452
23-06-2019, 06:23 PM
By whom? That's a crazy idea for a club of their size. Ambition is great, but it has to be sustainable - see Gretna.

Fitzpatrick. Sure he said something similar when they were promoted and almost went straight back down.

HoboHarry
23-06-2019, 06:28 PM
If they are looking at Kilmarnock as a role model then why not aim for top 4? Their average attendances are less than Kilmarnock but not by a huge amount and they would likely easily make up the difference if they had a spell of success.

04Sauzee
23-06-2019, 06:30 PM

Something that should have been sorted out before offering him the job. Even if he was to commute until the end of the season with a view to moving in the summer

Hibernia&Alba
23-06-2019, 06:32 PM
If they are looking at Kilmarnock as a role model then why not aim for top 4? Their average attendances are less than Kilmarnock but not by a huge amount and they would likely easily make up the difference if they had a spell of success.

That's a fair point in relation to Killie, but top four for them is the exception to the rule, plus they don't have as much competition for fans from the Old Firm (though Ayrshire is very Hunnish). Paisley is basically a district of Glasgow and St Mirren's fanbase very small. Their potential growth is always going to be small.

Since452
23-06-2019, 06:36 PM

They would need a Steve Clarke type impact for that. Incredibly hard for any club outside Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow to get top 4. What Killie did was phenomenal.

HoboHarry
23-06-2019, 06:40 PM
They would need a Steve Clarke type impact for that. Incredibly hard for any club outside Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow to get top 4. What Killie did was phenomenal.
Not disagreeing with you at all, but I don't think it's ridiculous for them to aiming that high....

Hibernia&Alba
23-06-2019, 06:42 PM
Not disagreeing with you at all, but I don't think it's ridiculous for them to aiming that high....

That's fair enough. Personally, I think it's a pipe dream. They might do it one year, as Killie and Motherwell did, but it isn't a long term strategy.

CockneyRebel
23-06-2019, 06:49 PM
Something that should have been sorted out before offering him the job. Even if he was to commute until the end of the season with a view to moving in the summer

The article suggested that that was indeed the scenario.

H18 SFR
23-06-2019, 07:02 PM
There was an interview with the chairman on tv recently, can't remember which channel (STV?) and he was adamant top six next season and possibly Europe. Even my wife said what a knob.

H18 SFR
23-06-2019, 07:06 PM

They have no recruitment team, their sports science dept consists of UWS students on placement as part of their studies etc. They're not set up for top 4.

04Sauzee
23-06-2019, 07:10 PM
The article suggested that that was indeed the scenario.

If that was the understanding, I'm not sure what St Mirren have done wrong in this case. Bizarre situation to be in

hibbyfraelibby
23-06-2019, 07:29 PM

Got to disagree. Glasgow, Leith and Aberdeen to get top 4 between them. Edinburgh to miss out on top 6😎

we are hibs
23-06-2019, 07:33 PM
Is Stewart Gilmour still involved at st.mirren? Now there's a proper fanny. St.mirren are a bottom 6 club and they may have the odd season they break into the top 6 but for Fitzpatrick to claim they were targeting top 4 in their first season in the premiership is as ludicrous as anything I've heard since romanov was targeting winning the champions league.

Greenfly
23-06-2019, 07:56 PM
In his TV interview after the play off final he didn't sound over-convinced that he'd be in Paisley next season. He was being linked at that time with one of the NI clubs - think it was Coleraine. Maybe no great surprise in that context.

HFC93
23-06-2019, 07:57 PM
I heard Tony Fitzpatrick interviewed on the radio a few times last season and he's clearly wired to the moon.

Greenfly
23-06-2019, 08:01 PM
I heard Tony Fitzpatrick intervied on the radio a few time last season and he's clearly wired to the moon.

Fitzpatrick was interviewed on TV a number of years ago when he was appointed St. Mirren manager and he said "This is a massive, massive club" ... eh? It's good to be passionate about your team but c'mon!

B.H.F.C
23-06-2019, 08:03 PM
It’s not Fitzpatrick that he’s had the apparent falling out with, it’s the chairman.

percy veer
23-06-2019, 08:08 PM
Difference does it make certainly didn’t hinder him so far in the job the guy has worked wonders. Another basket case by the sounds of Vladimir Fitzpatrick

I wouldn't say he worked wonders , had plenty time with the squad.

Renfrew_Hibby
23-06-2019, 08:12 PM
Fitzpatrick was interviewed on TV a number of years ago when he was appointed St. Mirren manager and he said "This is a massive, massive club" ... eh? It's good to be passionate about your team but c'mon!

I know its a while ago now but when St.Mirren won the Scottish cup, their fans fairly outnumbered the Dundee United support.

Hibernia&Alba
23-06-2019, 08:12 PM

400,000 fans :greengrin

SMAXXA
23-06-2019, 08:23 PM
I wouldn't say he worked wonders , had plenty time with the squad.

You tell me anyone who thought they would stay up and I’d call you a lier, they were doomed when he took over they had a cracking run end of season

The 90+2
23-06-2019, 08:34 PM
Posted this on the transfer thread last week. He’s a gone-er.

The 90+2
23-06-2019, 08:37 PM
You tell me anyone who thought they would stay up and I’d call you a lier, they were doomed when he took over they had a cracking run end of season

Dundee being honkin’ Saved them. Manager isn’t quite in the Jack Ross Ian Murray miracle worker category.

number9dream
23-06-2019, 08:45 PM
It’s not Fitzpatrick that he’s had the apparent falling out with, it’s the chairman.

Fitzpatrick is just a figurehead, no influence or power whatsoever.
Chairman sounds like a bit of a rocket, with a habit of making promises he can’t or won’t keep.

Is It On....
23-06-2019, 09:27 PM
Tony Fitzpatrick seems to be a bit too, ahem, hands-on.

Loved his beligerent interviews years ago "we will never go down, look at the players we have [Victor, etc]"
They also infamously had Mahrez on trial and he left because it was too cold 😂

HoboHarry
23-06-2019, 09:33 PM
Loved his beligerent interviews years ago "we will never go down, look at the players we have [Victor, etc]"
They also infamously had Mahrez on trial and he left because it was too cold 😂
Put in a bid for Ronaldinho back in the day as well......

NAE NOOKIE
23-06-2019, 11:04 PM
As has been said only Dundee's appalling season saved St Mirren allied to the fact that Dundee Utd probably aren't much better than they are. From that POV its not really a huge shock to see them going for another manager. Whatever the case you cant accuse their board of under selling the club's potential, they sure as hell seem to have an ultra positive view of what they think it can achieve. Perhaps step one would be to stop setting managers unrealistic goals in unrealistic time frames, stop sacking them all the time and take a long term view of how they get to where they want to be.

Back in the mid 70s they had a real rivalry with Motherwell and I distinctly recall 26,000 turning up at Fir Park for a Scottish cup tie between the two, an incredible crowd at a time when crowds were far worse than they are now … at least 10,000 of that crowd was St Mirren fans so the support is there … how you drag it into the stadium and out of the clutches of the uglies is another matter altogether.

Paisley Hibby
24-06-2019, 06:09 AM

I think he wants out and St Mirren want rid but neither party is prepared to make the financial sacrifice required to make that happen easily or quickly. This could get quite ugly.

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-06-2019, 06:51 AM
So two seasons running St Mirren might bin their manager at the starting whistle? If there is an issue about him not staying over here they have had the close season to sort it out surely?

Diclonius
24-06-2019, 07:13 AM
St Mirren are a terribly run club. Got lucky with Jack Ross.

Since452
24-06-2019, 07:19 AM
If be fuming if i were a St Mirren fan. Another season another change of manager and another relegation battle no doubt.

Since452
24-06-2019, 07:23 AM
As has been said only Dundee's appalling season saved St Mirren allied to the fact that Dundee Utd probably aren't much better than they are. From that POV its not really a huge shock to see them going for another manager. Whatever the case you cant accuse their board of under selling the club's potential, they sure as hell seem to have an ultra positive view of what they think it can achieve. Perhaps step one would be to stop setting managers unrealistic goals in unrealistic time frames, stop sacking them all the time and take a long term view of how they get to where they want to be.

Back in the mid 70s they had a real rivalry with Motherwell and I distinctly recall 26,000 turning up at Fir Park for a Scottish cup tie between the two, an incredible crowd at a time when crowds were far worse than they are now … at least 10,000 of that crowd was St Mirren fans so the support is there … how you drag it into the stadium and out of the clutches of the uglies is another matter altogether.

They took one of the biggest, noisiest crowds I've seen to Easter Road in recent years and that was with them battling relegation in the Championship. Their fans were a credit to them that day. They've got a good fanbase.

percy veer
24-06-2019, 11:08 AM

they finished where I thought they would, bottom half near the relegation places, they were not that bad under stubbs. so again not worked wonders IMO

where'stheslope
25-06-2019, 03:05 PM
If I recollect did he not say when he came in as their manager, "we can win this league", delusional or what, right to send him packing!!
When people start talking like that, its maybe better to put them out their misery earlier!!!!!

Billy Whizz
25-06-2019, 03:10 PM
If I recollect did he not say when he came in as their manager, "we can win this league", delusional or what, right to send him packing!!
When people start talking like that, its maybe better to put them out their misery earlier!!!!!

Tony Fitzpatrick said this, not the Manager

Northernhibee
25-06-2019, 03:16 PM
What a terribly run club.

Eyrie
25-06-2019, 05:55 PM

Tony Fitzpatrick said this, not the Manager

A realistic goal for St Mirren is competing for the top six, and an ambitious one would be what Kilmarnock did last season combined with a good cup run.

Since452
26-06-2019, 03:15 PM
Looking like it will be Jim Goodwin in the away dugout on the first day of the season.

Wilson
26-06-2019, 06:21 PM
A realistic goal for St Mirren is competing for the top six, and an ambitious one would be what Kilmarnock did last season combined with a good cup run.

I think ambitious, for St Mirren, is competing for sixth. A good season would be securing enough points early to guarantee safety and then hanging in with Motherwell, St. Johnstone, and possibly Killie in the race for sixth. Anything greater isn't ambition. It is a pipe dream.

hibbysam
26-06-2019, 10:05 PM

They had played 4 games, won 1, lost to rangers hearts and Livingston. They were hardly doomed at that stage. Kearney won something like 1 out of his first 14 games.