PDA

View Full Version : Jorge Claros

beensaidbefore
23-06-2019, 12:28 AM
Would he get a game for us now?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jun/24/jorge-claros-shot-world-cup-honduras

Haymaker
23-06-2019, 12:51 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jun/24/jorge-claros-shot-world-cup-honduras

Yes

Hibernian32
23-06-2019, 01:18 AM
Loved the pitbull

HarpLife
23-06-2019, 01:28 AM
It's hard to say, such a doss team back then it would be easy to shine. No disrespect to them but even with youngsters like Booth and Harris, seemed like hot prospects but when you compare them to Porteous or McGinn (a little older, I know)...

It's not a comfortable time to think back on with the kind of player we used to put up with in a Hibs shirt (thinking more McGivern, Nelson, Tudur-Jones et al). Ah well. I liked Claros though, he always seemed to give a **** even if he wasn't the best. James McPake always has my respect for the same reason, too few in those days did.

Hibernian32
23-06-2019, 03:24 AM
We played Celtic at ER around Christmas time and won 1-0 Griffiths scored.

I remember claros bossing wanyama in that game absolutely solid think it was his last game as he left in January possibly

BILLYHIBS
23-06-2019, 06:51 AM
He would definitely have walked into last seasons midfield it was meh!

😁👍🏾⚽️🏆🇳🇬

we are hibs
23-06-2019, 07:00 AM
No one really knows as no one has seen him play since the 2014 world cup.

Allant1981
23-06-2019, 07:07 AM
Based on his performances when he was here there is not a chance he is getting anywhere near our team, even last years midfielders that couldnt get in the team are better than him. He is an ok player who had a few decent games in a terrible team but nothing more in my opinion

BILLYHIBS
23-06-2019, 07:14 AM
Based on his performances when he was here there is not a chance he is getting anywhere near our team, even last years midfielders that couldnt get in the team are better than him. He is an ok player who had a few decent games in a terrible team but nothing more in my opinion
All about opinions but 84 caps 3 goals for Honduras speaks for itself

I thought he was a class act

As another poster has said bossed Wanyama in the Leigh Griffiths game

Walked into our Cup Final team after being out injured for six weeks but the least said about that game the better 😁

Played a significant role in our search for the Holy Grail in 2013

Just Jimmy
23-06-2019, 07:26 AM
hard to say. he definitely had something but injuries and taking time to settle when time wasn't a luxury to take, made it difficult.

in a different hibs team I think he'd have been class. him with mcginn and mcgeough or Allan would excellent I think.

as others have said, goes down with mcpake as one of the few who gave a **** at a dark time. for that regardless of a ability, I'm thankful.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Since452
23-06-2019, 07:54 AM
Heart of a mouse

Allant1981
23-06-2019, 07:58 AM
All about opinions but 84 caps 3 goals for Honduras speaks for itself

I thought he was a class act

As another poster has said bossed Wanyama in the Leigh Griffiths game

Walked into our Cup Final team after being out injured for six weeks but the least said about that game the better 😁

Played a significant role in our search for the Holy Grail in 2013

How many professional players are there from Honduras to pick from though? That's 1 game that sticks out for a poster, I couldnt tell you half a dozen good games he had, could you? Yes the least said about the 2012 cup game the better, especially since he was gash in it. All about opinions but for me he would be no where near our team

Smartie
23-06-2019, 08:03 AM
Heart of a mouse

No, I don't think so.

The nickname "pit bull" suggested he was going to be a type of player that he just wasn't.

Claros was quality. Got the ball off the defence, moved it on, rarely lost it and held the team together. Unfortunately he was surrounded by dross.

Players like Claros are often the difference between disjointed hoofball outfits and decent footballing units.

How old is he now?

we are hibs
23-06-2019, 08:11 AM
What I will say is he played the role Milligan was supposed to play far better than he did. Not even close.

MWHIBBIES
23-06-2019, 08:39 AM
Claros mainly played for us when we finished 7th and behind Griffith's was our best player that season.

He didn't have injury problems (34/38 league games), certainly didn't have the heart of a mouse (easily one of the daftest phrases on here) and probably could bring something to our current side.

I don't really judge him on his first loan spell, even Griffith's was poor that season. When things settled and he had his family near him he had a really good season.

BILLYHIBS
23-06-2019, 08:39 AM
How many professional players are there from Honduras to pick from though? That's 1 game that sticks out for a poster, I couldnt tell you half a dozen good games he had, could you? Yes the least said about the 2012 cup game the better, especially since he was gash in it. All about opinions but for me he would be no where near our team
How about dem apples?:
7/5/12 Dunfermline Home 4-0
2/5/12,Aberdeen Away 2-1
14/4/12 Aberdeen Hampden 2-1
10/3/12 Ayr Away 2-1
25/2/12 Kilmarnock Away 3-1
18/8/12 St Mirren Away 2-1
12/5/13 Hearts Away 2-1
29/12/12 Celtic Home 1-0

To name just a few

I was also surprised to read he got shot in the head and shoulder while sitting in his car in South America back in 2012

Allant1981
23-06-2019, 08:45 AM
How about dem apples?:
2/5/12,Aberdeen Away 2-1
10/3/12 Ayr Away 2-1
12/5/13 Hearts Away 2-1
29/12/12 Celtic Home 1-0

To name just a few

I was also surprised to read he got shot in the head and shoulder while sitting in his car in South America back in 2012

Wish I had as good a memory as you that you knew exactly the dates of the good games he played in(in your opinion)! We will agree to disagree on claros, for me he would be no where near our current team or teams in the last 3/4 years or so.

Hibernian32
23-06-2019, 08:46 AM
How about dem apples?:
2/5/12,Aberdeen Away 2-1
10/3/12 Ayr Away 2-1
12/5/13 Hearts Away 2-1
29/12/12 Celtic Home 1-0

To name just a few

That's why he got the nick name Pitbull

Since452
23-06-2019, 08:51 AM
He'd struggle to get a game before Gael Bigirimana. Only one game sticks out for me he played in and he was hooked before half time in it.

Northernhibee
23-06-2019, 08:57 AM
He'd struggle to get a game before Gael Bigirimana. Only one game sticks out for me he played in and he was hooked before half time in it.

Ludicrous.

Since452
23-06-2019, 08:59 AM
I'd have had Gary Deegan before him any day of the week.

BILLYHIBS
23-06-2019, 09:01 AM
Wish I had as good a memory as you that you knew exactly the dates of the good games he played in(in your opinion)! We will agree to disagree on claros, for me he would be no where near our current team or teams in the last 3/4 years or so.
Ha Ha!

Forgot to mention Killie 2 v 4 HIBS
Scottish Cup
What a game!

wookie70
23-06-2019, 09:03 AM
No idea what he would be like now but I rated him higher than many midfielder since he played including Milligan

Allant1981
23-06-2019, 09:03 AM
Ha Ha!

Forgot to mention Killie 2 v 4 HIBS
Scottish Cup
What a game!

Just done some reading up on these games as my memory is pretty terrible, he only came in to the side on some of them due to suspensions and was subbed off after an hour in a couple of them, cant have played that well that he was subbed early on?

BILLYHIBS
23-06-2019, 09:08 AM
Just done some reading up on these games as my memory is pretty terrible, he only came in to the side on some of them due to suspensions and was subbed off after an hour in a couple of them, cant have played that well that he was subbed early on?
HIBS 1 v 0 Hearts
Scottish Cup

Some of them results look pretty good for a ***** team

OK a further example
When we lost 0-3 to Celtic SCF 2013 with a half fit Sparky upfront Claros looked the only HIBS player that would get a game for Celtic
For 15-20 minutes we had a glimmer of hope but then Stokes and Hooper took over

Allant1981
23-06-2019, 09:11 AM
HIBS 1 v 0 Hearts
Scottish Cup

Some of them results look pretty good for a ***** team

OK a further example
When we lost 0-3 to Celtic SCF 2013 with a half fit Sparky upfront Claros looked the only HIBS player that would get a game for Celtic
For 15-20 minutes we had a glimmer of hope but then Stokes and Hooper took over

I didnt say it was a **** team though, we weren't great though. If you think claros was a good player then great, if you think he would get in any of our teams since he left(2014 maybe) then I just cant see it

Callum_62
23-06-2019, 09:16 AM
How many professional players are there from Honduras to pick from though? That's 1 game that sticks out for a poster, I couldnt tell you half a dozen good games he had, could you? Yes the least said about the 2012 cup game the better, especially since he was gash in it. All about opinions but for me he would be no where near our teamEasily. In his 2nd season he was only beaten to PotY by an unbelievable Leigh Griffiths

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Allant1981
23-06-2019, 09:21 AM
Easily. In his 2nd season he was only beaten to PotY by an unbelievable Leigh Griffiths

Again my memory isnt great so I'll take your word for it as I thought he only played 40 odd games for us, for me he wasnt that great a player and he would be no where near any midfield for us since Stubbs had came in

And mallan was voted our players player of the year this year and plenty wouldnt have him in our team so again it's all about opinions

neil7908
23-06-2019, 09:23 AM
Once had some time to get used to the Scottish game he was an excellent player for us.

If he was still the same player as a few years ago I'd love him back.

Hiber-nation
23-06-2019, 09:24 AM

So does his midfield masterclass in the 2-1 win at the piggery not count then? Probably underachieved in his time at ER given his ability but as others have said, our 2nd best player in 2012-13.

BILLYHIBS
23-06-2019, 09:26 AM
I didnt say it was a **** team though, we weren't great though. If you think claros was a good player then great, if you think he would get in any of our teams since he left(2014 maybe) then I just cant see it
OK a further example

HIBS offered Claros a long term contract after the 2013 SCF but his parent club insisted on a huge transfer fee which HIBS of course were not prepared to pay denying us the opportunity to see the pitbull teaming up with the legend that is Scott Allan

Source: Wiki

Allant1981
23-06-2019, 09:29 AM
OK a further example

HIBS offered Claros a long term contract extension after the 2013 SCF but his parent club insisted on a huge transfer fee which HIBS of course were not prepared to pay denying us the opportunity to see the pitbull teaming up with the legend that is Scott Allan

Source: Wiki

We also gave contracts to Rowan vine, Joe Keenan, Tudor-Jones so I wouldnt really use that as an example, as I say, if you think he was a good player and would get in our team now then great, i dont. Doesn't mean any of the 2 of us is right

BILLYHIBS
23-06-2019, 09:31 AM
We also gave contracts to Rowan vine, Joe Keenan, Tudor-Jones so I wouldnt really use that as an example, as I say, if you think he was a good player and would get in our team now then great, i dont. Doesn't mean any of the 2 of us is right

OK I’m out!

See you behind the goals

😁👍🏾⚽️🇳🇬🏆

Diclonius
23-06-2019, 09:33 AM
A rich man's Fraser Fyvie?

Callum_62
23-06-2019, 09:39 AM
A rich man's Fraser Fyvie?Who's actually just went on trial at Dundee

Billy Whizz
23-06-2019, 09:49 AM
A rich man's Fraser Fyvie?

Training with Dundee

easty
23-06-2019, 09:54 AM

Bigirimana and Deegan...

You’re either at the wind up, or utterly utterly clueless.

we are hibs
23-06-2019, 09:56 AM
How about dem apples?:
2/5/12,Aberdeen Away 2-1
10/3/12 Ayr Away 2-1
12/5/13 Hearts Away 2-1
29/12/12 Celtic Home 1-0

To name just a few

Killie away in the Scottish cup in a 4-2 win. Ran the midfield that day

BILLYHIBS
23-06-2019, 09:58 AM
Killie away in the Scottish cup in a 4-2 win. Ran the midfield that day
👍🏾

Mentioned that

I don’t know what some people do when they watch HIBS ?

😁

BoomtownHibees
23-06-2019, 10:19 AM
when they watch HIBS ?

😁

Therein lies the problem

tamig
23-06-2019, 11:12 AM

Now you’re having a laugh 😂

The Modfather
23-06-2019, 11:19 AM

No. According to Wikipedia he’s only played 40 games since leaving us 5 years ago.

I thought he was decent enough at the time, surrounded by varying degrees of wasters. Personally think he was a good upper bottom six player but wouldn’t get near a team challenging for top 4.

Northernhibee
23-06-2019, 12:10 PM
It's far harder to look like a good player with poor players around you than to look like a good player when you're surrounded by a talented team. You don't have the same passes available, supply, service, support otherwise.

Claros was a class act.

The_Exile
23-06-2019, 12:11 PM
I remember him being absolutely class at shutting the oppositions midfield to attack passing lanes down, he seemed to just have a natural aptitude for it. This is obviously the most important role in the team apart from scoring goals which is why he was so highly thought of by the staff, players and fans who knew how difficult the technical aspects of his specific job are/were. That was 5 or 6 years ago though so no idea if he’d still be the same player as previously.

i think he was unfortunate that his style of play was less in demand as quick counter attack football became flavour of the month, otherwise in my opinion he would’ve played at a far higher level than he ended up at.

jacomo
23-06-2019, 12:42 PM
He was a good player for us, no question.

Some folk disagree but then some folk claimed they couldn’t see what Dylan or Boozy brought to the team.

Leithwalk
23-06-2019, 12:50 PM
We played Celtic at ER around Christmas time and won 1-0 Griffiths scored.

I remember claros bossing wanyama in that game absolutely solid think it was his last game as he left in January possibly

In that game, I don't think he came second in any tackle.

Also had a great way of finding space where he could give a team-mate an option for a pass

Smartie
23-06-2019, 01:02 PM
I remember him being absolutely class at shutting the oppositions midfield to attack passing lanes down, he seemed to just have a natural aptitude for it. This is obviously the most important role in the team apart from scoring goals which is why he was so highly thought of by the staff, players and fans who knew how difficult the technical aspects of his specific job are/were. That was 5 or 6 years ago though so no idea if he’d still be the same player as previously.

i think he was unfortunate that his style of play was less in demand as quick counter attack football became flavour of the month, otherwise in my opinion he would’ve played at a far higher level than he ended up at.

Did he not play at a decent level in the USA after leaving us?

It's also worth bearing in mind that he played in a pish team in the premier league. Our much celebrated recently strong midfield played in good teams against Championship teams for much of their time with us.

Bobby's Cinema
23-06-2019, 01:05 PM
Is this not one of those cases where a player is remembered as better than he was as time goes on?

Maybe I’ve decided to forget everything from the period he was around but struggling to remember him too fondly.

Really not that memorable/ stand out to me.

The_Exile
23-06-2019, 01:11 PM

Fairly standard for this type of player, they do nothing pleasing on the eye or memorable on the pitch, no goals, little actual defending, their game all about positioning and short simple passes, first names on the team sheet for the manager but instantly forgettable to the fans.

Bobby's Cinema
23-06-2019, 01:16 PM
Fairly standard for this type of player, they do nothing pleasing on the eye or memorable on the pitch, no goals, little actual defending, their game all about positioning and short simple passes, first names on the team sheet for the manager but instantly forgettable to the fans.

Ah the old unseen work. No need to explain Pat ;)

Sammy7nil
24-06-2019, 07:57 PM

Heart of a mouse

Is this not one of those cases where a player is remembered as better than he was as time goes on?

Maybe I’ve decided to forget everything from the period he was around but struggling to remember him too fondly.

:agree: :agree: :agree:

Pedantic_Hibee
24-06-2019, 08:12 PM
A class act.

Onceinawhile
24-06-2019, 08:15 PM
Similar to Dylan, but not as good Imo. Bother than that though, he's the best we've had in that role for a while though.

BILLYHIBS
24-06-2019, 08:25 PM
A class act

Edit:

For all the reasons given above

CapitalGreen
24-06-2019, 11:10 PM
Bigirimana and Deegan...

You’re either at the wind up, or utterly utterly clueless.

I think it was established quite a while ago that he is the latter.

kaimendhibs
24-06-2019, 11:24 PM
Would love him back

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

The 90+2
24-06-2019, 11:26 PM
Claros had very good ability to not only break up play but find time and space on the ball, the problem was he wasn’t a boozy who would use that time to find a vital pass but a pass along the side of the midfield due to him not being attack minded. I would take him back at that level all day long. God knows what he’s up to these days. Sometimes I google Zemmama to see if he’s up to much too.

BILLYHIBS
25-06-2019, 06:41 AM
Claros had very good ability to not only break up play but find time and space on the ball, the problem was he wasn’t a boozy who would use that time to find a vital pass but a pass along the side of the midfield due to him not being attack minded. I would take him back at that level all day long. God knows what he’s up to these days. Sometimes I google Zemmama to see if he’s up to much too.

Wonder what Latapy is up to?

:cb

:not worth

JimBHibees
25-06-2019, 06:57 AM
Reasonable reader of the game but very slow and to me we have better now. Dylan is about 4 times the player of Claros IMO.

BILLYHIBS
25-06-2019, 07:01 AM
Reasonable reader of the game but very slow and to me we have better now. Dylan is about 4 times the player of Claros IMO.

Who is better now?

Serious question

JimBHibees
25-06-2019, 07:08 AM
Who is better now?

Serious question

Allan, Mallan and whoever we bring in. :greengrin

Since452
25-06-2019, 07:10 AM
I think it was established quite a while ago that he is the latter.

Am i not allowed an opinion if it doesn't go with yours? Clown

BILLYHIBS
25-06-2019, 07:18 AM
Allan, Mallan and whoever we bring in. :greengrin

:confused:

Allan a totally different player

I would love to see Claros and Allan in the same team though as others have said no idea what Claros is like now?

Stevie Mallan had one good game in that role versus Celtic totally outstanding after that gash then moved further forward

Hopefully Stevie Mallan can kick on and find a role in our new midfield with Scott Allan and “whoever Hecky brings in” as he is undoubtedly a talent and brings a goal threat

Onwards and upwards

:greengrin

green with envy
25-06-2019, 07:27 AM
I thought he was pretty decent but I don't think he is any better than what we have at present. That aside, who remembers the game I think against Dundee at ER when he kept passing the ball to the opposition due to the strips clashing.:confused:

MagicSwirlingShip
25-06-2019, 07:34 AM
Have already commented on a thread on this a while back.

From my memory he was good at shutting down space in his own half but wasn’t that great at much else, couldn’t speak English, rarely beat a man with skill or passed the ball forward.

Enjoyed watching him at the time as we were a very poor side but we have had better since. Much better.

Since452
25-06-2019, 06:03 PM
Have already commented on a thread on this a while back.

From my memory he was good at shutting down space in his own half but wasn’t that great at much else, couldn’t speak English, rarely beat a man with skill or passed the ball forward.

Enjoyed watching him at the time as we were a very poor side but we have had better since. Much better.

Don't say that you'll be called clueless