PDA

View Full Version : NHC Dundee Utd = Idiot

barcahibs
22-06-2019, 08:24 PM
Scottish football gets to the strangest places.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/68c9c99d-c9d8-4857-96dd-b10336e2118e

Apparently in the Yoruba speaking part of Nigeria the phrase "Dundee United" is a synonym for "Idiot". According to the author of this BBC article it comes from when Dundee United toured the country in the 70's, were rubbish (so no real change over the decades), and spent the whole time complaining about the heat and the state of the local pitches.

Obviously we all also know that in some African dialects the word Jambo means "Hello", "Please put back that charity tin" and "Hoof!" depending on the context.

I wonder how else Scottish football has made its mark in world culture?

I know there is some story about Hibs being one of the first football clubs to have been mentioned in the United Nations debating Chamber? Presumably an inquiry about whether the way hertz were treated at the 7-0 game was a breach of the Geneva Conventions?

04Sauzee
22-06-2019, 08:41 PM
Is jambo not Swahili for hello and Scottish for Sh**e

Here’s Lucy!
22-06-2019, 09:35 PM
Is jambo not Swahili for hello and Scottish for Sh**e

First one is definitely correct.

The second one is absolute nonsense. Do you actually say ‘that’s a lot of jambo’?

Why do folk say things like this? :dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

green with envy
22-06-2019, 09:39 PM
Scottish football gets to the strangest places.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/68c9c99d-c9d8-4857-96dd-b10336e2118e

Apparently in the Yoruba speaking part of Nigeria the phrase "Dundee United" is a synonym for "Idiot". According to the author of this BBC article it comes from when Dundee United toured the country in the 70's, were rubbish (so no real change over the decades), and spent the whole time complaining about the heat and the state of the local pitches.

Obviously we all also know that in some African dialects the word Jambo means "Hello", "Please put back that charity tin" and "Hoof!" depending on the context.

I wonder how else Scottish football has made its mark in world culture?

I know there is some story about Hibs being one of the first football clubs to have been mentioned in the United Nations debating Chamber? Presumably an inquiry about whether the way hertz were treated at the 7-0 game was a breach of the Geneva Conventions?

Apart from the 80s when they won the league and beat the likes of Barcelona at the Camp Nou and more?

04Sauzee
22-06-2019, 09:43 PM

The second one is absolute nonsense. Do you actually say ‘that’s a lot of jambo’?

No off course I don't, it's humour on a football message board

Bishop Hibee
22-06-2019, 09:44 PM
Hibs tour of Brazil in 1953 was responsible for their World Cup winning team of 1970 and that teams swashbuckling style of football in particular. Fact.

Jones28
22-06-2019, 09:47 PM
No off course I don't, it's humour on a football message board

Lucy is very serious, don't take it personally

7 Up
22-06-2019, 10:00 PM
Relevant video. :greengrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6tMsshE1GM

barcahibs
22-06-2019, 10:04 PM
Apart from the 80s when they won the league and beat the likes of Barcelona at the Camp Nou and more?

Oh sorry I hadn't realised I'd logged into tangerineterrors.net I'll change my bookmark. To be honest I couldn't care less about Dundee United's faded glories - when I think of them the main things that pop into my head are their greeting faces when Matty jack showed them how to properly interpret the rules around returning the ball, especially after a team full of timewasters have knocked it out of play for an 'injury'. And to a lesser extent their delight in relegating us for the first 'Great Adventure' I suppose :greengrin

Dundee United = a lot worse than idiot in my own personal version of the Yoruba language I'm afraid.

pacorosssco
22-06-2019, 10:07 PM

Lionel ritchie

22-06-2019, 10:14 PM

Wow

green with envy
22-06-2019, 10:37 PM
Oh sorry I hadn't realised I'd logged into tangerineterrors.net I'll change my bookmark. To be honest I couldn't care less about Dundee United's faded glories - when I think of them the main things that pop especially after a team full of timewasters have knocked it out of play for an 'injury'. And to a lesser extent their delight in relegating us for the first 'Great Adventure' I suppose :greengrin

Dundee United = a lot worse than idiot in my own personal version of the Yoruba language I'm afraid.

Yeah, was at the game and it was such along time ago and TBH you should be moving on.... In the grander scheme of things it wasn't that huge.

Franck Stanton
22-06-2019, 10:46 PM

As for your question, yes I do say I am going to give birth to a jambo whenever I go for a tom-tit

Whoa there Lucy, lighten up ffs. It is only a wee bit of fun. Jeez some folk take things far too seriously.

oldbutdim
22-06-2019, 10:58 PM
Brilliant Lucy!

It’s amazing how you reel them in.

You’re de man.

Del Boy
22-06-2019, 11:01 PM
Oh sorry I hadn't realised I'd logged into tangerineterrors.net I'll change my bookmark. To be honest I couldn't care less about Dundee United's faded glories - when I think of them the main things that pop into my head are their greeting faces when Matty jack showed them how to properly interpret the rules around returning the ball, especially after a team full of timewasters have knocked it out of play for an 'injury'. And to a lesser extent their delight in relegating us for the first 'Great Adventure' I suppose :greengrin

“Delight in relegating us”, you mean their delight in staying up? It was them or us going down, how dare they celebrate!!!

The 90+2
22-06-2019, 11:05 PM
Lionel ritchie

This. All night long.

The 90+2
22-06-2019, 11:06 PM
“Delight in relegating us”, you mean their delight in staying up? It was them or us going down, how dare they celebrate!!!

Motherwell was second bottom.

barcahibs
22-06-2019, 11:07 PM
Yeah, was at the game and it was such along time ago and TBH you should be moving on.... In the grander scheme of things it wasn't that huge.

No I'm afraid it fills my every waking hour with an equal mixture of joy and fury - jofury maybe? or fujoy? (I wonder if they mean anything in Yoruba?) I'm going to have it playing on huge screens throughout the ceremony when I get married and I've already told the mrs that our first born will be named Alan Combe's Greetin Coupon - even if its a girl. I've also started a campaign to have the colour orange removed from the rainbow and I've written to the council about banning sand. I'll poison their jam and boycott their journalism and if I ever find out what Jute is I'll sabotage that too. I've already stopped reading the Beano.

Are there any other Scottish football teams I should avoid belittling on here? I've got strong views on both Aberdeen and Caley Thistle I'm afraid - though I've always had a soft spot for Cowdenbeath if it helps?

Sir David Gray
22-06-2019, 11:17 PM

:faf:

jabis
22-06-2019, 11:27 PM

Methinks Lucy talks a load of jambo.

Del Boy
22-06-2019, 11:27 PM
Motherwell was second bottom.

If we won, Utd would have had to beat Rangers in their last game to stay up.

The 90+2
22-06-2019, 11:49 PM
If we won, Utd would have had to beat Rangers in their last game to stay up.

It might be the wine, but they finished 7 points ahead of us mate. If we won we are on 33 them on 34 as they lost to the huns. They where safe the week before and too great delight in us going down. They where never in trouble because of goal difference too. I went to the game and never thought they where in trouble of going down.

BILLYHIBS
22-06-2019, 11:52 PM
Not a big Arabs fan by any stretch of the imagination but anyone that lived through the eighties will tell you that the New Firm Aberdeen and Dundee United blew the Old Firm away

Dundee Utd winning the SPL and getting to a EUFA Cup Final

Aberdeen won the ECWC and loads more under Fergie

Dundee Utd relegated us late nineties but we had no one to blame but ourselves

They sang in the Changing Rooms at Tannadice when they defeated Neil Lennons HIBS that Christmas but he who laughs last laughs laughs laughs!

Alex Trager
22-06-2019, 11:55 PM

The second is 100% true

lapsedhibee
23-06-2019, 02:54 AM

:tsk tsk: Sh*te is an adjective as well as a noun and verb. 'That's a lot of jambo' would be rare but 'sh*te style of football' and 'jambo style of football' are synonymous and commonplace.

Allant1981
23-06-2019, 06:25 AM

Lighten up

jacomo
23-06-2019, 07:13 AM
Methinks Lucy talks a load of jambo.

Jambo is a qualifier.

Not just *****, but utter *****.

Del Boy
23-06-2019, 07:54 AM
It might be the wine, but they finished 7 points ahead of us mate. If we won we are on 33 them on 34 as they lost to the huns. They where safe the week before and too great delight in us going down. They where never in trouble because of goal difference too. I went to the game and never thought they where in trouble of going down.

Yeah but if they lost v us and then we beat (Killie I think) in last game then they would have went down. So it was a huge game for them. Anyway, hardly matters now!! :)

green with envy
23-06-2019, 10:55 AM
No I'm afraid it fills my every waking hour with an equal mixture of joy and fury - jofury maybe? or fujoy? (I wonder if they mean anything in Yoruba?) I'm going to have it playing on huge screens throughout the ceremony when I get married and I've already told the mrs that our first born will be named Alan Combe's Greetin Coupon - even if its a girl. I've also started a campaign to have the colour orange removed from the rainbow and I've written to the council about banning sand. I'll poison their jam and boycott their journalism and if I ever find out what Jute is I'll sabotage that too. I've already stopped reading the Beano.

Are there any other Scottish football teams I should avoid belittling on here? I've got strong views on both Aberdeen and Caley Thistle I'm afraid - though I've always had a soft spot for Cowdenbeath if it helps?

Was it drugs alcohol or both when typing that?

Keith_M
23-06-2019, 11:11 AM

I think it generally works on people that didn't have a sense of humour bypass.

matty_f
23-06-2019, 11:20 AM

Ffs.

barcahibs
23-06-2019, 11:47 AM
Not a big Arabs fan by any stretch of the imagination but anyone that lived through the eighties will tell you that the New Firm Aberdeen and Dundee United blew the Old Firm away

Dundee Utd winning the SPL and getting to a EUFA Cup Final

Aberdeen won the ECWC and loads more under Fergie

Dundee Utd relegated us late nineties but we had no one to blame but ourselves

They sang in the Changing Rooms at Tannadice when they defeated Neil Lennons HIBS that Christmas but he who laughs last laughs laughs laughs!

Like many glory hunting kids I very briefly flirted with Dundee United around about the time of their Gothenburg game - I think it lasted about a day before I came to my senses but I vividly remember it - in my defence it's tough being the only hibby in your year.

I hadn't thought this would be all that controversial a thread but I guess this is the way social media is going these days :rolleyes:

Still I think I'll stick to my seemingly problematic opinion of Hibs being just ever so slightly cooler and better than other football clubs and continue to think of United et al as being Jambo :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
23-06-2019, 12:58 PM
Like many glory hunting kids I very briefly flirted with Dundee United around about the time of their Gothenburg game - I think it lasted about a day before I came to my senses but I vividly remember it - in my defence it's tough being the only hibby in your year.

I hadn't thought this would be all that controversial a thread but I guess this is the way social media is going these days :rolleyes:

Still I think I'll stick to my seemingly problematic opinion of Hibs being just ever so slightly cooler and better than other football clubs and continue to think of United et al as being Jambo :greengrin

:agree:

Correct!

You made the right choice

HIBS are and always will be sooooo much cooler than Dundee United

Better strips Better songs Better fans Better Stadium Better players Better more famous fans

Who is Lorraine Kelly anyway?

We play in a higher League and have done so for three years now

Soooo much so that Dundee United once wanted to be us and called themselves Dundee HIBS

As I said in my previous post he who laughs last laughs laughs laughs !!!

Note to self “ Did Dundee Utd get out of the play offs as I was out of the country at the time?”

Quick check.......NO!

Oh ma aching sides!

Caversham Green
23-06-2019, 01:16 PM

I haven't said that before, but I'm definitely going to start now.

SChibs
23-06-2019, 01:22 PM
Might be an unpopular opinion but I don't mind Dundee Utd. I prefer them to the likes of Aberdeen, Dundee, Killie, etc.
They go on about the 80s yeah but we still talk about a game in the 70s and European nights decades before that.

BILLYHIBS
23-06-2019, 01:39 PM
Might be an unpopular opinion but I don't mind Dundee Utd. I prefer them to the likes of Aberdeen, Dundee, Killie, etc.
They go on about the 80s yeah but we still talk about a game in the 70s and European nights decades before that.
21/05/2016

😁👍🏾⚽️🏆🇳🇬

Here’s Lucy!
23-06-2019, 01:50 PM
21/05/2016

😁👍🏾⚽️🏆🇳🇬

:thumbsup::flag:

SChibs
23-06-2019, 02:10 PM
21/05/2016

😁👍🏾⚽️🏆🇳🇬

I see my mistake, posting an opinion on a football forum.

BILLYHIBS
23-06-2019, 02:16 PM

Cannae argue with a dotnet fact !

Correction it is a fact!

😁👍🏾

Here’s Lucy!
23-06-2019, 02:22 PM

I don’t really think that’s the point Billy was making tbf.

barcahibs
23-06-2019, 02:22 PM

I don't think anyone's having a go at you mate, but to be fair it is a Hibs forum? There's at least a couple of people on the thread agreeing with you :greengrin

Here’s Lucy!
23-06-2019, 02:26 PM
I don't think anyone's having a go at you mate, but to be fair it is a Hibs forum? There's at least a couple of people on the thread agreeing with you :greengrin

Glad you came on.

I feel I am due you an apology for my comments last night.

Sorry, mate. :aok:

BILLYHIBS
23-06-2019, 02:41 PM

Please do not misunderstand me

I of course respect your opinion even although I might not agree with it

I was quite simply trying to point out and remind you that Hibernian Football Club has indeed won something of significance in the not too distant past and that we have moved on from the halcyon days of the seventies

Speaking as one who witnessed The Tornadoes and the great European nights it was great while it lasted but like Jim McLeans Tangerine Terrors of the early eighties nothing lasts forever

I agree that Dundee United would be an excellent addition to the SPFL Premiership but as they say on Love Island “ It is what it is.” :greengrin

Keith_M
23-06-2019, 04:27 PM
Glad you came on.

:not worth

(no sarcasm, I'm genuinely impressed)

barcahibs
23-06-2019, 04:39 PM
Glad you came on.

Don't be daft mate, appreciate the sentiment, but it really isn't needed, i thought it was a humorous post replying to an allegedly 'humorous' thread on a message board, I didn't take any offence :greengrin

Here’s Lucy!
23-06-2019, 04:40 PM
:not worth

(no sarcasm, I'm genuinely impressed)

Thanks.

Looking back on it this morning, I was pretty displeased with myself and felt an apology was in order.

Hope the OP sees fit to accept.

04Sauzee
23-06-2019, 05:34 PM
Thanks.

Looking back on it this morning, I was pretty displeased with myself and felt an apology was in order.

If the apology is aimed at me then off course I accept. Never one to hold a grudge

Since452
23-06-2019, 05:37 PM
Thanks.

Listen we all make a Dundee United out ourselves at times don't worry about it

SChibs
23-06-2019, 05:53 PM
Please do not misunderstand me

I of course respect your opinion even although I might not agree with it

I was quite simply trying to point out and remind you that Hibernian Football Club has indeed won something of significance in the not too distant past and that we have moved on from the halcyon days of the seventies

Speaking as one who witnessed The Tornadoes and the great European nights it was great while it lasted but like Jim McLeans Tangerine Terrors of the early eighties nothing lasts forever

I agree that Dundee United would be an excellent addition to the SPFL Premiership but as they say on Love Island “ It is what it is.” :greengrin

Fair enough mate I did misunderstand your post. We do still go on about previous victories fairly often as we are entitled to. It was mentioned above Utd fans go on about the 80s all the time but imo it's fair enough.

BILLYHIBS
23-06-2019, 05:59 PM
Fair enough mate I did misunderstand your post. We do still go on about previous victories fairly often as we are entitled to. It was mentioned above Utd fans go on about the 80s all the time but imo it's fair enough.

😁👍🏾⚽️🏆🇳🇬

Glory Lurker
23-06-2019, 06:03 PM

I don't mind Arabs reminiscing about the 80s, but Aberdeen fans need to shut up already!

Here’s Lucy!
23-06-2019, 06:16 PM
If the apology is aimed at me then off course I accept. Never one to hold a grudge

It was aimed at you, 04Sauzee. I was out of order and appreciate your reply and comments. :aok:

Listen we all make a Dundee United out ourselves at times don't worry about it

Cheers man, nice of you to say so. :aok:

The demon drink eh? Never again! :faf::faf: