PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Cup Final Bagpipes

Since452
22-06-2019, 06:54 PM
Does anyone know when or why they stopped the mass pipes before cup finals? Looking back at finals in the 80's on YouTube it was fantastic and really added to the occasion. Quite sad it doesn't happen anymore.

EI255
22-06-2019, 07:09 PM
Does anyone know when or why they stopped the mass pipes before cup finals? Looking back at finals in the 80's on YouTube it was fantastic and really added to the occasion. Quite sad it doesn't happen anymore.Seriously?

Bagpipes make my ears bleed. I cannot stand the Damn things. Truly awful "sound"

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

The 90+2
22-06-2019, 07:15 PM
I remember they used to play around the pitch at Scotland games mid 90s finishing with Scotland the brave. That was great too.

The 90+2
22-06-2019, 07:17 PM
Seriously?

Bagpipes make my ears bleed. I cannot stand the Damn things. Truly awful "sound"

I got off my supporters bus after the cup final and the guy on princes st was playing 500 miles - it was incredible as was the girl with the team on the Sunday. Played properly bagpipes are stunning.

Keith_M
22-06-2019, 07:37 PM
Seriously?

If you're too close, it is quite loud, but I seriously doubt your ears would bleed.

I think they make for a fantastic occasion when it's a full pipe band.

Bostonhibby
22-06-2019, 07:46 PM
Never going to see bagpipes on the pitch again. GFA are concerned about their safety.

The prospect of every single bladder being fatally burst by exuberant Hibbies is just too much for them, there's also a real worry that the sevconian hun guards would never make it onto the pitch in time to protect them all, not to mention the certainty of them finding themselves on the wrong end of a carefully inserted drone reed[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Baldy Foghorn
22-06-2019, 07:46 PM
Anyone remember Rangers Final at Parkhead, when the "pipe" band, was a tad orange based?

Used to like the pipe bands for big matches....

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-06-2019, 07:48 PM
Seriously?

Bagpipes make my ears bleed.

I've told you a million times, stop exaggerating.

JimBHibees
22-06-2019, 07:52 PM
If you're too close, it is quite loud, but I seriously doubt your ears would bleed.

I think they make for a fantastic occasion when it's a full pipe band.

It is an amazing sound and why millions of people visit this wonderful place. :greengrin

Jones28
22-06-2019, 07:53 PM
Seriously?

The lone piper at Murrayfield is a bit special.

SiinDubai
22-06-2019, 07:53 PM
Anyone remember Rangers Final at Parkhead, when the "pipe" band, was a tad orange based?

I recall they got a less than hospitable reception from the hibs support behind the goals that day 😀

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-06-2019, 07:54 PM
The lone piper at Murrayfield is a bit special.

As is the one at The Tattoo.

James70
22-06-2019, 07:59 PM
Love the sound of the pipes and drums from a marching pipe band.

Peevemor
22-06-2019, 08:00 PM

Used to like the pipe bands for big matches....They weren't at all. It was a crowd called Macumba which was a pipe corps with samba drummers. I know some of them.

The plan was that during their half time tour of the pitch they would stop at each end and get the fans going. They passed by the huns' end first and some hibees seeing this decided they were some pseudo orange set-up.

When they tried to stop and play in front of us they got pelters.

Had they gone clockwise instead of anti-clockwise they would have been viewed differently.

Baldy Foghorn
22-06-2019, 08:09 PM
They weren't at all. It was a crowd called Macumba which was a pipe corps with samba drummers. I know some of them.

The plan was that during their half time tour of the pitch they would stop at each end and get the fans going. They passed by the huns' end first and some hibees seeing this decided they were some pseudo orange set-up.

Had they gone clockwise instead of anti-clockwise they would have been viewed differently.

Well that knocks my orange theory on it's backside lol

Peevemor
22-06-2019, 08:22 PM
Does anyone know when or why they stopped the mass pipes before cup finals? Looking back at finals in the 80's on YouTube it was fantastic and really added to the occasion. Quite sad it doesn't happen anymore.Date changes meant that the Scottish Cup final fell the same day as a major pipe band championship, thus it became nearly impossible for the RSPBA (pipe band association) who organised the bands for Hampden to put together the required number of bands/bodies.

I don't know if that's why the pipe band thing stopped, but it was definitely a problem.

The 90+2
22-06-2019, 08:23 PM
Date changes meant that the Scottish Cup final fell the same day as a major pipe band championship, thus it became nearly impossible for the RSPBA (pipe band association) who organised the bands for Hampden to put together the required number of bands/bodies.

I don't know if that's why the pipe band thing stopped, but it was definitely a problem.

Why was it stopped at Scotland games? Sure it was same guys you used to see in the corners ready to come on. Very good question overall to be fair.

Peevemor
22-06-2019, 08:32 PM
I think that was down to the SFA's matchday organisers. Maybe a cost thing?

There are still bands now and again, but not massed bands like there used to be.

Since452
22-06-2019, 08:50 PM
I remember they used to play around the pitch at Scotland games mid 90s finishing with Scotland the brave. That was great too.

Sure they used to play Scotland the brave before the cup final too

Since452
22-06-2019, 08:53 PM
Did they have the pipes before our cup win in 91? Struggling to remember!

Peevemor
22-06-2019, 08:55 PM
I played in a band sponsored by Scottish Gas who, for a while, were also the main sponsors of the Scottish national team.

There was an international played at Pittodrie on a Wednesday night and Scottish Gas insisted that we play (or lose our sponsorship)

We explained that it was really complicated given that all our guys had day jobs, so the accepted that we'd just do half time.

Our coach left Edinburgh at the right time, but various traffic jams, roadworks etc. meant that we were well late.

We tuned up in the bus and arrived at the stadium on the stroke of half time, only not at the main stand where we were meant to be, but behind the opposite stand. We forced our way in past the stewards and ran down the steps through the crowd and got on to the pitch through one of the wee gates.

We played 10 minutes, jumped back on the bus and watched the final half hour in a pub in the middle of Aberdeen before heading back down the road.

Keith_M
22-06-2019, 08:57 PM
They weren't at all. It was a crowd called Macumba which was a pipe corps with samba drummers. I know some of them.

Didn't stop me loudly booing them

:greengrin

Peevemor
22-06-2019, 09:05 PM

I think they make for a fantastic occasion when it's a full pipe band.Threshold of hearing.....................0 dB*
Outdoors, no people or traffic..........20 dB*
Background noise in a library...........40 dB*
Ordinary speaking voice.................60 dB*
Heavy traffic...........................85 dB*
Power lawnmower up close................90 dB*
Motorcycle (rider)......................90 dB*
Chainsaw...............................100 dB*
Rock music at concert..................110 dB*
Jet plane takeoff at 100 yards.........120 dB*
Threshold of pain......................140 dB

A solo piper at a distance of 1m will generally come in between 95 and 110dB, depending on how the pipes are set up.

For the past 10-15 years any responsible tutor will encourage their pupils to use ear protection, which the majority now do.

I've been piping for 33 years and can't adapt to using ear plugs though fortunately I haven't suffered any damage.

cheltenhamhibee
22-06-2019, 11:24 PM
I recall they got a less than hospitable reception from the hibs support behind the goals that day 😀
I do believe that the groundsman was very thankful for the collection of coins we had taken and were thrown on the pitch for him and is still using the supply of lighters that were so generously thrown on for him as well

BILLYHIBS
23-06-2019, 12:10 AM
What Pevemore said is how I remember it that and Super Ally’s overhead kick :confused:

Anyway I digress I have never been a fan of the bag pipes but I must confess to a tear running down my cheek at the recent Normandy Remembrance Ceremony when a lone piper played “Highland Laddie” the tune played by the Regimental Piper under the command of Lord Lovat as the allies stormed Sword Beach

I am also convinced that a lone piper has played throughout the game at recent HIBS away games in Europe

Greencore
23-06-2019, 01:46 AM
When played correctly, they are amazing.

Steve-O
23-06-2019, 02:08 AM
Does anyone know when or why they stopped the mass pipes before cup finals? Looking back at finals in the 80's on YouTube it was fantastic and really added to the occasion. Quite sad it doesn't happen anymore.

It really should happen - making the Scottish Cup final even more ‘Scottish’. I know if I was watching from another country I’d expect to see such things at a big Scottish event. Penny pinching SFA no doubt.

Niffy
23-06-2019, 04:39 AM

Aye , the McCoist final. They were lucky to survive that.

Since452
23-06-2019, 07:59 AM
It really should happen - making the Scottish Cup final even more ‘Scottish’. I know if I was watching from another country I’d expect to see such things at a big Scottish event. Penny pinching SFA no doubt.

Exactly. Especially in this day and age with SKY and social media the pipes before the cup final would be a major attraction

Smartie
23-06-2019, 08:13 AM
I was just thinking about this the other day.

The build up to the Scottish cup final is quite good, if a bit generic. The pipes definitely set our big games apart.

It always seemed to be "A Scottish Soldier" they would be playing. It's a song you never hear anywhere other than by a pipe band prior to a big football match.

Scouse Hibee
23-06-2019, 09:09 AM
I love the sound of the bag pipes, an ex work colleague and pipe major who sadly was taken too soon a couple of years ago played them at many a work function and a couple of funerals I attended, his passion and expertise made me appreciate just how inspiring the pipe music could be.

JimBHibees
23-06-2019, 09:54 AM
The lone piper Hibs used for the 100 Year anniversary of the Quintinshill Rail crash when we played Rangers in the play off home game was superb IMO.

Billy Whizz
23-06-2019, 09:55 AM
The lone piper Hibs used for the 100 Year anniversary of the Quintinshill Rail crash when we played Rangers in the play off home game was superb IMO.

Was probably Louise Marshall

JimBHibees
23-06-2019, 09:59 AM
Was probably Louise Marshall

I had thought I remembered it was a male piper. Here is a bit on the Hibs site about it which probably indicates it was the guy in the photo.

Can remember it being very poignant and emotional at the time.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/5454

Billy Whizz
23-06-2019, 10:03 AM
I had thought I remembered it was a male piper. Here is a bit on the Hibs site about it which probably indicates it was the guy in the photo.

Can remember it being very poignant and emotional at the time.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/5454

Possibly your right, although Louise claims she the “official” piper of Hibernian FC

Peevemor
23-06-2019, 10:10 AM
Possibly your right, although Louise claims she the “official” piper of Hibernian FCLouise claims she's the 'official' piper for anyone she does repeat work for.

IIRC it wasn't her the day in question.

Billy Whizz
23-06-2019, 10:12 AM
Louise claims she's the 'official' piper for anyone she does repeat work for.

IIRC it wasn't her the day in question.

Ok boss😄

JimBHibees
23-06-2019, 10:21 AM
Possibly your right, although Louise claims she the “official” piper of Hibernian FC

What do you mean 'possibly'. :greengrin

Billy Whizz
23-06-2019, 10:24 AM
What do you mean 'possibly'. :greengrin

Looks like a man in your photo🤣

erin go bragh
23-06-2019, 05:25 PM

Did they no play the sash song in front of the Orcs and then moved towards our end and got dogs abuse .

Glory Lurker
23-06-2019, 06:01 PM
Last time I remember pipes at a Scotland game was against Sweden in 96. At least there was a brass band, so I'm assuming there was a pipe band, but I don't actually remember. Don't remember a band at all at the next game, against Austria. Maybe Sweden was last one?

Pretty Boy
23-06-2019, 06:14 PM
Did they have the pipes before our cup win in 91? Struggling to remember!

They did.

I watched 'The Team That Wouldn't Die' recently and there is brief footage of the pipe band. The commentator also references them and says in the 2nd half it was 'Hibs calling the tune'.

Peevemor
23-06-2019, 06:18 PM
Did they no play the sash song in front of the Orcs and then moved towards our end and got dogs abuse .They definitely didn't play the sash.

BILLYHIBS
23-06-2019, 06:55 PM
I remember the looks of shock and horror from the band members at the level of abuse they received from the HIBS end

It looked to me as if there might have been some Hibbys in the band

The Hun did seem to lap them up at their end for whatever reason?

Peevemor
23-06-2019, 06:59 PM
I remember the looks of shock and horror from the band members at the level of abuse they received from the HIBS end

It looked to me as if there might have been some Hibbys in the band

The Hun did seem to lap them up at their end for whatever reason?I'm not sure there was, but there were definitely some who wanted us to beat the huns.

As I said before, had they come to our end first we probably would have lapped them up and the huns would have abused them.

Peevemor
23-06-2019, 07:11 PM
MacUmba are a unique group of musicians based in Scotland who mix the traditional sounds of Scottish bagpipes with the infectious rhythms of Brazilian percussion. Starting as a batucada (or drumming group) in the early 90's, MacUmba grew out of a series of drumming workshops held at the Glasgow School of Art. Soon after, MacUmba added various combinations of flutes, guitars, bass, voices etc. to the batucada, and performed at many events throughout Scotland. The inception of the current MacUmba formation happened when they were asked to play at a major Scottish football cup final. It was decided to add bagpipes to the batucada in order to be more in line with the football tradition of pipe bands. This combination proved hugely popular, and as a result MacUmba was born.

http://radiofullmoon.com/fm/rfm/artist/MacUmba

Hibernia&Alba
23-06-2019, 07:22 PM

Did they give it The Sash and Build My Gallows on the pipes? :greengrin