PDA

View Full Version : Platini Arrested

Since452
18-06-2019, 09:09 AM
Michael Platini arrested on suspicion of corruption for awarding 2022 world cup to Qatar. Anyone surprised?

Keith_M
18-06-2019, 09:13 AM
Wow!

Have they got Blatter yet?

bingo70
18-06-2019, 09:15 AM
Wonder if there’s any chance they’ll take the World Cup off Qatar now?

Can’t see it myself.

cabbageandribs1875
18-06-2019, 09:22 AM
it's not too late to split the 2022 competition between 2 or 3 countries, say france/spain/englund, bung the Qataris £50 compo, countries with human rights issues should NEVER get awarded prestigious competitions, ridiculous

worth noting platini is only in for questioning

Q. Michel did you accept brown envelopes
A Naw

kwestioning finished

Diclonius
18-06-2019, 09:24 AM
Here we go...

Billy Whizz
18-06-2019, 09:24 AM
it's not too late to split the 2022 competition between 2 or 3 countries, say france/spain/englund, bung the Qataris £50 compo, countries with human rights issues should NEVER get awarded prestigious competitions, ridiculous

£50 Compo🤣

cabbageandribs1875
18-06-2019, 09:25 AM
£50 Compo🤣

too much, ok make it a score £20 :greengrin

heretoday
18-06-2019, 09:47 AM

Can’t see it myself.

They've built loads of stadiums already, haven't they? Several slaves have died in the process.

Ozyhibby
18-06-2019, 09:54 AM
They've built loads of stadiums already, haven't they? Several slaves have died in the process.

Several thousand slaves. It’s disgusting that the World Cup is going there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diclonius
18-06-2019, 09:55 AM

Only three have actually been finished, the remaining five are still being built.

The 90+2
18-06-2019, 09:59 AM
This will all end up as the master plan to take the cash and then bump them out the World Cup before next years champions league dates are announced for 2022. Which is coincidentally announced in September btw.

Since452
18-06-2019, 10:04 AM
World cup going to a tiny backwards oil rich country and played in the winter. Whole thing stunk from the start.

NAE NOOKIE
18-06-2019, 10:09 AM

Can’t see it myself.

I cant either. But this insanity should have been nipped in the bud the second it was put on the table at FIFA headquarters. Even the morons who ran FIFA at the time, lets face it who still run it, must have known awarding a world cup to a nation with medieval attitudes to sexuality and even at that time a terrible reputation for its treatment of foreign labour, not to mention who at the time didn't even have a professional football league was so obviously going to be open to question that every police force and investigative journalist worth the name would be all over it. Talk about being blinded by greed.

The only two countries with the wherewithal to host the tournament at short notice are probably England and the USA who have the stadiums and infrastructure more or less already in place. Because the last tournament was effectively played in Europe the USA would be favourites … The only problem with that is half of the worlds FIFA delegates would probably be afraid to go there in case they got arrested :greengrin

bingo70
18-06-2019, 10:14 AM
I cant either. But this insanity should have been nipped in the bud the second it was put on the table at FIFA headquarters. Even the morons who ran FIFA at the time, lets face it who still run it, must have known awarding a world cup to a nation with medieval attitudes to sexuality and even at that time a terrible reputation for its treatment of foreign labour, not to mention who at the time didn't even have a professional football league was so obviously going to be open to question that every police force and investigative journalist worth the name would be all over it. Talk about being blinded by greed.

The only two countries with the wherewithal to host the tournament at short notice are probably England and the USA who have the stadiums and infrastructure more or less already in place. Because the last tournament was effectively played in Europe the USA would be favourites … The only problem with that is half of the worlds FIFA delegates would probably be afraid to go there in case they got arrested :greengrin

Have USA not been awarded it with Mexico and Canada for 2026?

I am sure plenty other countries have the infrastructure in place, France, Germany, Russia, South Africa and Australia could all host it at short notice as well I’m sure.

Diclonius
18-06-2019, 10:15 AM

US already have the WC in 2030 so it won't go there now. Australia or England would be my bet.

GreenCastle
18-06-2019, 10:25 AM
Anyone surprised ?

It was a crazy decision and is all about the £££.

I wish someone would investigate the SFA. It needs disbanded for the sake of Scottish football and trust to be found again.

NAE NOOKIE
18-06-2019, 10:29 AM
US already have the WC in 2030 so it won't go there now. Australia or England would be my bet.

Didn't realise that re the USA … or if I did I had forgotten :greengrin

The logical choice would be Australia as they are the only country who haven't held it. I don't know, but was their bid centred around existing stadiums or were they in the position of having to build stadiums if their bid was successful? … if it was the latter 3 years is far too short a time frame to start on stadiums now. On that basis England would be a pretty good bet.

If it was to be the USA can I suggest they keep Diana Ross as far away from it as possible :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
18-06-2019, 10:36 AM
Anyone surprised ?

I wish someone would investigate the SFA. It needs disbanded for the sake of Scottish football and trust to be found again.

The daftest thing about our game is that it is run by two governing bodies at all … we only need one.

Outside of the actual game their biggest failing has been an absolute inability to get something done about Hampden. They missed an absolute trick with the Commonwealth games and even with Hampden being chosen as a venue for the next Euro championships they have still failed to see it as an opportunity to squeeze some cash for an upgrade out of the UK or Scottish governments.

CockneyRebel
18-06-2019, 10:39 AM

Can’t see it myself.

They should take it away because if there is corruption involved then it must surely have gone both ways.

Deansy
18-06-2019, 10:50 AM
Anyone surprised ?

I'm 100% in agreement with you on that score ! However I'l go one further - I honestly believe that the GFA will get caught someday - and soon. Luck can only stretch so far, plus, face facts, we're not talking 'Mastermind Criminals' here, just ordinary gadgies lucky enough to be in their gold-edged positions but who've got greedier and greedier and at the same time, more and more bolder. The Huns cheating being the most glaring example - the footballing world's biggest financial & sporting fraud and these clowns didn't even want them removed form the SPL !!??

As for Platini/Qatar - someone's been bunged, that's a certainity so hopefully this is the start of a world-wide purge of all currently in positions of power at both FIFA & UEFA. The game so badly needs fresh, honest leadership and for me it can't happen quick enough. The damage done by decades of corruption under Blatter desparately needs repairing ! Talking of that slimy weasel - anyone know how & when his case is going to be in court ??

HoboHarry
18-06-2019, 11:04 AM
I'm 100% in agreement with you on that score ! However I'l go one further - I honestly believe that the GFA will get caught someday - and soon. Luck can only stretch so far, plus, face facts, we're not talking 'Mastermind Criminals' here, just ordinary gadgies lucky enough to be in their gold-edged positions but who've got greedier and greedier and at the same time, more and more bolder. The Huns cheating being the most glaring example - the footballing world's biggest financial & sporting fraud and these clowns didn't even want them removed form the SPL !!??

As for Platini/Qatar - someone's been bunged, that's a certainity so hopefully this is the start of a world-wide purge of all currently in positions of power at both FIFA & UEFA. The game so badly needs fresh, honest leadership and for me it can't happen quick enough. The damage done by decades of corruption under Blatter desparately needs repairing ! Talking of that slimy weasel - anyone know how & when his case is going to be in court ??
I can't describe how much I hope you are correct in this......

J-C
18-06-2019, 11:08 AM
If Platini and hopefully Blatter get done the for the integrity of the sport, they have to take it off Qatar.

Spike Mandela
18-06-2019, 11:11 AM
One of my all time favourite players and member of that great French side that imo should have won the ‘82 World Cup. I hope he is innocent.

GreenCastle
18-06-2019, 11:11 AM
The daftest thing about our game is that it is run by two governing bodies at all … we only need one.

Outside of the actual game their biggest failing has been an absolute inability to get something done about Hampden. They missed an absolute trick with the Commonwealth games and even with Hampden being chosen as a venue for the next Euro championships they have still failed to see it as an opportunity to squeeze some cash for an upgrade out of the UK or Scottish governments.

Very good points - always seem to agree with your posts.

Both competitions there should have been a clause for an upgrade but nope.

Incompetent and now we have SFA staff at Oriam and the rest in the west.

The 90+2
18-06-2019, 11:17 AM
I can't describe how much I hope you are correct in this......

GFA get caught in any sort of scandal Petrie gets it which could have implications for us.

Steve-O
18-06-2019, 11:21 AM

The logical choice would be Australia as they are the only country who haven't held it. I don't know, but was their bid centred around existing stadiums or were they in the position of having to build stadiums if their bid was successful? … if it was the latter 3 years is far too short a time frame to start on stadiums now. On that basis England would be a pretty good bet.

If it was to be the USA can I suggest they keep Diana Ross as far away from it as possible :greengrin

Not entirely sure why the Aussie bid failed. Off the top of my head, there are plenty stadiums. There are about 6 across Melbourne and Sydney alone that would be suitable, another 1-2 each in Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth. How many stadiums are needed?

Carheenlea
18-06-2019, 11:21 AM
This is really quite a serious situation and big news, but nobody appears to be shocked or hugely surprised. For that reason the tournament will likely still take place as planned, but quite a few in high office will pay a big price and have to face the consequences for their influence in making it happen. People were calling this out as soon as they saw Qatar on the shortlist and before being awarded the World Cup.

bingo70
18-06-2019, 11:47 AM
Not entirely sure why the Aussie bid failed. Off the top of my head, there are plenty stadiums. There are about 6 across Melbourne and Sydney alone that would be suitable, another 1-2 each in Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth. How many stadiums are needed?

How are they fixed for oil fields though?

hibsbollah
18-06-2019, 11:51 AM
One of my all time favourite players and member of that great French side that imo should have won the ‘82 World Cup. I hope he is innocent.

:agree: I'm with you there. A joy to watch on the pitch.

Scott Allan Key
18-06-2019, 12:29 PM

worth noting platini is only in for questioning

Q. Michel did you accept brown envelopes
A Naw

kwestioning finishedYeah, I agree about human rights issues. So does that include USA too? Or are they suitably civilised? Recent history suggests not and there might be reasons to put Russia out too and other European and Asian countries. It's not just so-called developing countries. Tends to be case that if it doesn't affect us directly we ignore what's going on under our own noses.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

superfurryhibby
18-06-2019, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I agree about human rights issues. So does that include USA too? Or are they suitably civilised? Recent history suggests not and there might be reasons to put Russia out too and other European and Asian countries. It's not just so-called developing countries. Tends to be case that if it doesn't affect us directly we ignore what's going on under our own noses.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

No one is innocent but some are less innocent than others.

GreenLake
18-06-2019, 06:03 PM
If Platini and hopefully Blatter get done the for the integrity of the sport, they have to take it off Qatar.

If the Alexander Ceferin takes over the FIFA leadership it might get moved to North Korea or Antarctica.

poolman
18-06-2019, 08:55 PM
World cup going to a tiny backwards oil rich country and played in the winter. Whole thing stunk from the start.

Absolutely, total lunacy

It's the equivalent of bringing the world camel racing championships to Iceland

nellio
18-06-2019, 08:58 PM
Absolutely, total lunacy

It's the equivalent of bringing the world camel racing championships to Iceland

The fact they had to build 8 stadiums says it all really.

What are they going to use them for after the world cup?

A total disgrace.

lord bunberry
18-06-2019, 10:06 PM
There’s no chance it will get moved now that they’ve started building the stadiums. Every award of a World Cup has probably been decided on bribes, Qatar just paid more in bribes than most.
I remember talking to a an English guy in the taxi a few years ago and he had worked on the early stages of the Qatar bid. They were up against England to host it and I remember him saying that the only people who thought England would win was England. He said it was decided long before the voting had been opened. The bribes range from all expense paid trips for big games around the world, which are considered above board to cash payments which is obviously illegal. Qatar had everyone bought well in advance to know that the vote as a formality.

NAE NOOKIE
18-06-2019, 11:03 PM
There’s no chance it will get moved now that they’ve started building the stadiums. Every award of a World Cup has probably been decided on bribes, Qatar just paid more in bribes than most.
I remember talking to a an English guy in the taxi a few years ago and he had worked on the early stages of the Qatar bid. They were up against England to host it and I remember him saying that the only people who thought England would win was England. He said it was decided long before the voting had been opened. The bribes range from all expense paid trips for big games around the world, which are considered above board to cash payments which is obviously illegal. Qatar had everyone bought well in advance to know that the vote as a formality.

Absolutely true unfortunately …. Bribes and gifts are just part of the bidding process when it comes to the world cup and as you say Qatar just bribed better than everybody else.

I don't think its even the bribes and corruption that upset folk who know football, we all know it goes on. What was annoying was that they aren't even bothering to pretend any more …. you couldn't think of a more unsuitable country to host a world cup for so many reasons its too much effort to list them. That's what the police and press thought too and that's why so many of the greedy arrogant buggers who thought they were untouchable are now getting what they deserve, long may it continue.

Baader
18-06-2019, 11:08 PM
Platini was such a beautiful player and I always liked him, thought it was great when he became UEFA president. Be very sad to see him involved but I think it's likely he is probably complicit at best.

Qatar will host the World Cup, that's not going to change but the whole thing stinks. They had no stadia or infrastructure suitable to host a World Cup in place at the time of bidding. Ireland has a bigger population than Qatar and an established footballing tradition. Does anyone seriously think Ireland could make a solo bid for a World Cup and even be considered by FIFA? It would be laughed out the room... Qatar bought it, pure and simple and FIFA had become so complacent with bribes they thought no-one would question it.

ben johnson
18-06-2019, 11:25 PM

A bit harsh on Diana. The keeper was never on his line so VAR could save her next time Not sure she would step up again after the goals split in two and toppled over. Would put a seasoned pro off

Steve-O
19-06-2019, 02:18 AM
How are they fixed for oil fields though?

Think they've got coal and iron ore, and kangaroos. Unsure about oil though.

Mixu62
19-06-2019, 03:29 AM

I remember seeing something on this subject last year. Apparently FIFA didn't like that they were shared, multi-purpose stadia, and that the main users of them would have to be housed elsewhere for the duration of the tournament. It would be in the middle of NRL and AFL seasons, and there are no purely football (socca!) stadiums in Oz. Plus it would be a Southern Hemisphere tournament so in winter and they've had 2 of those recently in South Africa an Brazil.

GreenLake
19-06-2019, 04:13 AM
Was he arrested for this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnwwV0hlEng)

JimBHibees
20-06-2019, 04:35 PM
Absolutely true unfortunately …. Bribes and gifts are just part of the bidding process when it comes to the world cup and as you say Qatar just bribed better than everybody else.

I don't think its even the bribes and corruption that upset folk who know football, we all know it goes on. What was annoying was that they aren't even bothering to pretend any more …. you couldn't think of a more unsuitable country to host a world cup for so many reasons its too much effort to list them. That's what the police and press thought too and that's why so many of the greedy arrogant buggers who thought they were untouchable are now getting what they deserve, long may it continue.

Virtually all of Europe were behind Qatar were they not?

The best bribery story was that Scottish guy who came to the vote as part of New Zealand FA and ended up voting for another country than he was meant to. Incredibly corrupt.

Radge70
20-06-2019, 09:49 PM
If the Alexander Ceferin takes over the FIFA leadership it might get moved to North Korea or Antarctica.
North Korea already has the largest stadium in the world (with a 114,000 capacity) plus ten other 30k plus stadiums so why not! I doubt Antarctica would be suitable in the winter though!!