PDA

View Full Version : Ian Crocker

southsider
16-06-2019, 10:07 AM
Anyone read his piece in today Sun ? Asked about commentary most proud of ‘Henderson was about to take a corner I said What a moment this is.’ Seconds later the ball was in the net. Also said that was his favourite ever game.

franck sauzee
16-06-2019, 10:15 AM
Anyone read his piece in today Sun ? Asked about commentary most proud of ‘Henderson was about to take a corner I said What a moment this is.’ Seconds later the ball was in the net. Also said that was his favourite ever game.

Always surprised so many don't like his commentary. He's probably my favourite. The 6-2 game was great too

Frazerbob
16-06-2019, 10:20 AM
Always surprised so many don't like his commentary. He's probably my favourite. The 6-2 game was great too

Agreed

Glory Lurker
16-06-2019, 10:21 AM

If you take that line out of context, it was a strange thing to say. A team had just won a corner, late in the game, sure, but it was just a corner. But, at the game, everybody in the stadium - everybody - knew a goal was coming. It was a very powerful shared human experience.

Wilson
16-06-2019, 10:22 AM

I remember voting in a poll for best commentator years ago. So long ago I can't remember who conducted it. I reckon, at the time, it was expected that everyone would vote Keys and Gray. I remember suggesting Crocker under 'other' as his name wasn't in the original line up.

On the one hand I probably just wanted to support the guy that commentated on the Scottish game - and stick two fingers up at the established pairing. On the other hand I've always liked his enthusiasm.

Anyhow, I think he got listed in the results despite not being an option. He must have some other fans!

Since452
16-06-2019, 10:25 AM
Awful commentator but now iconic line. The "he popped to the loo" line was every bit as poor as the "what a moment this is" was good.

The 90+2
16-06-2019, 10:25 AM
Crockers a great commentator.

yonder1875
16-06-2019, 10:33 AM
He’s good but he’s no Peter Drury.

jeffers
16-06-2019, 10:34 AM
I quite like him and that was a great line. Davie Provan on the other hand makes me want to stick knitting needles in my ears.

oldbutdim
16-06-2019, 10:36 AM
I quite like him and that was a great line. Davie Provan on the other hand makes me want to stick knitting needles in my ears.

Davie Provan make me want to stick knitting needles in his ears.

jeffers
16-06-2019, 10:54 AM

Haha yes that too.

Hermit Crab
16-06-2019, 10:57 AM
He’s good but he’s no Peter Drury.

I liked Tony Gubba (rip) and quite like Guy Mowbray on the BBC.

GloryGlory
16-06-2019, 10:58 AM

:agree: Just listening to his commentary makes you visualise his sour puss, the way he continually girns about everything.

Northernhibee
16-06-2019, 11:05 AM
"What kept you Hibs?"

"A moment in time..."

Two or three belters of lines from him.

brog
16-06-2019, 11:13 AM
"What kept you Hibs?"

"A moment in time..."

Two or three belters of lines from him.

His commentary on Russell's goal in the 6-2 game is superb.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-06-2019, 11:18 AM

That was magnificent 😉

we are hibs
16-06-2019, 11:26 AM
He has a lot of good moments but a lot of it is recycled. "Anthony stokes bearing down on goal" he said the exact same in an old firm game last season about Canedias. Think the BT guy would be better if he didn't scream down the mic at goals. Same goals for that liam McLeod. We aren't deaf.

The 90+2
16-06-2019, 11:28 AM

John O’Neil’s is still my favourite. He was the most under rated player in that team by a mile.

franck sauzee
16-06-2019, 11:34 AM
Don't know the guys name but the commentator that did all the German football highlights on BT I would say is my favourite overall. Older English guy with a deep voice. Tried searching for him but got nowhere. Peter Brackley too for Football Italia

LaMotta
16-06-2019, 11:37 AM
David Begg from BBC radio was a tremendous commentator.

His commentating on the Sproule Ibrox hat-trick is brilliant, especially the way he says Hibernian:

https://youtu.be/TWnG8xegbGE

Since452
16-06-2019, 11:40 AM

His commentating on the Sproule Ibrox hat-trick is brilliant, especially the way he says Hibernian:

Best ever imo. Alastair Alexander was brilliant too.

Since452
16-06-2019, 11:41 AM
He has a lot of good moments but a lot of it is recycled. "Anthony stokes bearing down on goal" he said the exact same in an old firm game last season about Canedias. Think the BT guy would be better if he didn't scream down the mic at goals. Same goals for that liam McLeod. We aren't deaf.

Every single corner is "to deliver".

hfc rd
16-06-2019, 11:43 AM
Don’t mind Martin Tyler. His commentary on Griffiths’ 2nd free kick goal against England was brilliant.

supermcginn
16-06-2019, 11:47 AM

Yip. Goosebumps when he commentated on big goals we scored. So much better than that guy on bbc these days.

The 90+2
16-06-2019, 11:50 AM

Great shout. I still close my eyes and visualise being there (which I was).

LaMotta
16-06-2019, 11:51 AM

:agree:

LaMotta
16-06-2019, 11:52 AM
Yip. Goosebumps when he commentated on big goals we scored. So much better than that guy on bbc these days.

I think Liam Mcleod has improved drastically over the years. Quite like him now especially this:

https://youtu.be/PMtf3pyMAP4

LaMotta
16-06-2019, 11:53 AM
Great shout. I still close my eyes and visualise being there (which I was).

Aye same. I was in the Huns end that day - unforgettable experience.

Since452
16-06-2019, 11:54 AM
I think Liam Mcleod has improved drastically over the years. Quite like him now especially this:

He's pretty decent now. Obviously learned from the likes of Begg.

Diclonius
16-06-2019, 12:02 PM
He's pretty decent now. Obviously learned from the likes of Begg.

He seems to have finally gotten over us beating Aberdeen in the 2012 semi final given he now doesn't bring the cup final up at every opportunity.

BoomtownHibees
16-06-2019, 12:05 PM
If you take that line out of context, it was a strange thing to say. A team had just won a corner, late in the game, sure, but it was just a corner. But, at the game, everybody in the stadium - everybody - knew a goal was coming. It was a very powerful shared human experience.

Agree with this. It’s like something that would have been dubbed in after the actual moment. If you think of what it would have been like if we hadn’t scored. “What a moment this is” would have been a strange comment

The Baldmans Comb
16-06-2019, 12:09 PM
Don't know the guys name but the commentator that did all the German football highlights on BT I would say is my favourite overall. Older English guy with a deep voice. Tried searching for him but got nowhere. Peter Brackley too for Football Italia

Derek Rae is my favorite German football commentator though it wouldn't be him you are thinking of as he is Scottish rather than English.

Fluent in German and spent many years living in Germany hence understands the depths of rivalry and the history of each team.

Very good on Scottish football as well when he used to do BT games and teamed up well with Sutton.

Since452
16-06-2019, 12:13 PM
Who was the guy that used to do the commentary on football Italia on C4 back in the 90's? Not saying he was good but great childhood memories. Ronaldo, Weah, Boban, Zola, Manchini, Lombardo brilliant stuff back then.

hibbydog
16-06-2019, 12:14 PM
Awful commentator but now iconic line. The "he popped to the loo" line was every bit as poor as the "what a moment this is" was good.

I’ve heard of lots of ‘Henderson to deliver’ tattoos. Wonder if there are any ‘he popped to the loo’ 🤓

The 90+2
16-06-2019, 12:18 PM
Who was the guy that used to do the commentary on football Italia on C4 back in the 90's? Not saying he was good but great childhood memories. Ronaldo, Weah, Boban, Zola, Manchini, Lombardo brilliant stuff back then.

Peter Brackley (maybe)? Sure he sadly passed recently.

The 90+2
16-06-2019, 12:20 PM
I’ve heard of lots of ‘Henderson to deliver’ tattoos. Wonder if there are any ‘he popped to the loo’ 🤓

Boy I sat beside actually done the exact same as Stubbs, everyone around me was bitching at each other especially the toilet dude by the time he came back we were all best pals and told him to go back to the bog so we could score again 😁

Since452
16-06-2019, 12:21 PM
Peter Brackley (maybe)? Sure he sadly passed recently.

Yeah think you're right. Thats sad news. Back then Italian football was great. Had much more of an interest in that than English football. I still look out for Sampdoria results to this day. On the bucket list to go to Genoa and take in one of their games.

The 90+2
16-06-2019, 12:32 PM
Yeah think you're right. Thats sad news. Back then Italian football was great. Had much more of an interest in that than English football. I still look out for Sampdoria results to this day. On the bucket list to go to Genoa and take in one of their games.

Same teams I like and look out for weirdly. Attilio Lombardo effect I’m guessing 😁😁

Since452
16-06-2019, 12:43 PM
Same teams I like and look out for weirdly. Attilio Lombardo effect I’m guessing 😁😁

100% haha

lord bunberry
16-06-2019, 12:44 PM
Ian Crocker is a Scottish Cup winning legend :greengrin

CockneyRebel
16-06-2019, 12:45 PM

Listened to all of that - quite an excitable chappie and obviously appreciates good football.

franck sauzee
16-06-2019, 12:46 PM
Derek Rae is my favorite German football commentator though it wouldn't be him you are thinking of as he is Scottish rather than English.

Fluent in German and spent many years living in Germany hence understands the depths of rivalry and the history of each team.

Very good on Scottish football as well when he used to do BT games and teamed up well with Sutton.

Yeah it's not him but he's also very good

CockneyRebel
16-06-2019, 12:49 PM

I'm afraid I didn't "know" a goal was coming, hoping yeah. If I'd known it was coming I could have unclenched my buttocks a bit earlier.

Since452
16-06-2019, 01:01 PM
I'm afraid I didn't "know" a goal was coming, hoping yeah. If I'd known it was coming I could have unclenched my buttocks a bit earlier.

Same. Even though we were pushing and looking the more likely i was waiting for the inevitable kick in the bollocks Rangers winner. It's what made our winner even more special. Even then i didn't think we'd hold on. Had a nervous twich ever since. Only Hibs eh.

HibbyKeith
16-06-2019, 01:08 PM

"hibs are on the prowl again... In a menacing mood.. Russell Latapy, twisting, turning, lovely one two.. That is absolutely wonderful from Russell Latapy" :hibees:hibees

Still makes the hairs on my arms stand on end

Hiber-nation
16-06-2019, 01:19 PM

I think Ian Crocker is brilliant. Alistair Alexander's commentary on the 0-7 game is awful. Sounds hungover.

Niagara Lad
16-06-2019, 01:22 PM
Gordon....Number 7. Absolutely brilliant.

Smartie
16-06-2019, 02:17 PM

I didn't know a goal was coming, but once we'd scored it I knew we'd won.

The next few minutes were just surreal.

I've never had total confidence in Hibs to do anything before, but the remaining minutes weren't tense for me. I was just bewildered and disorientated as I was trying to adjust to a feeling I'd simply never had before.

Hibby Bairn
16-06-2019, 03:16 PM
Brian Moore. Circa 1970s/early 80s.

Close the thread please 😀

The 90+2
16-06-2019, 03:19 PM
I didn't know a goal was coming, but once we'd scored it I knew we'd won.

The next few minutes were just surreal.

I've never had total confidence in Hibs to do anything before, but the remaining minutes weren't tense for me. I was just bewildered and disorientated as I was trying to adjust to a feeling I'd simply never had before.

I’m still absolutely convinced no other set of supporters or even very little human beings have felt that way after the winner. I was still focused though strangely on the game as everything else seemed like slow motion blurry. I knew for a fact the ref pointed for our free kick when most the people around thought it was there’s.

Cabbage East
16-06-2019, 03:23 PM
He’s good now. He wasn’t always.

Pretty Boy
16-06-2019, 03:30 PM

Peter Brackley was the commentator and James Richardson was the presenter. Great team. Many memories of Sundays waiting to see what the featured game was and hoping it was Milan. Of all the great players in that team Sebiatiabo Rossi, the keeper, was the one I loved. There was also had a really good Saturday preview show. I always remember Richardson, not long after Zidane signed for Madrid, opening the show by describing him as 'the man who's ghost still haunts Turin'.

hibsbollah
16-06-2019, 03:41 PM
Peter Brackley was the commentator and James Richardson was the presenter. Great team. Many memories of Sundays waiting to see what the featured game was and hoping it was Milan. Of all the great players in that team Sebiatiabo Rossi, the keeper, was the one I loved. There was also had a really good Saturday preview show. I always remember Richardson, not long after Zidane signed for Madrid, opening the show by describing him as 'the man who's ghost still haunts Turin'.

I still listen to Richardson twice a week on podcast, he's just as funny and intelligent as ever. Peter Brackley died this year, and Richardson was genuinely moving when he described how close their relationship was during the great years of C4 coverage in the 90s and what a good guy Brackley was, as well as being the consummate professional and the best football commentator ever. I can't disagree really.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=__1SbIyJVR0

SouthMoroccoStu
16-06-2019, 04:46 PM
I think Ian Crocker is brilliant. Alistair Alexander's commentary on the 0-7 game is awful. Sounds hungover.

New Years Day, it’s entirely possible he was lol

Seveno
16-06-2019, 05:12 PM
Ian Crocker is a Scottish Cup winning legend :greengrin

The passion in his commentary made it clear that he really understood what our win was all about.

hibstag
16-06-2019, 09:18 PM

This.

The situation is iconic but the commentary is not.

He says'delivers' in other matches so much it had to be right once also a lot of his lines are pretty generic and if you watch the 2015 final with Caley thistle mijehe uses 'shot a glory'etc more than once

FRes Hibbie
16-06-2019, 09:45 PM

My favourite bit of commentary ever.

Stevie Reid
16-06-2019, 09:52 PM

Do you honestly expect a football commentator to continually find new ways to describe situations that happen in games all the time?

This.

He says'delivers' in other matches so much it had to be right once also a lot of his lines are pretty generic and if you watch the 2015 final with Caley thistle mijehe uses 'shot a glory'etc more than once

To say that someone delivered a corner is pretty standard commentary chat. Of course he has used it before and since. His commentary is generic because all commentary is. The Henderson bit has become iconic because the moment is iconic. It’s the only way that any piece of sports commentary can become iconic.

It wasn’t what he said but how he said it. Much like how someone simply screaming Sergio Aguero’s name has entered football folklore. You wouldn’t then turn round and pull him up for having said his name in commentary before.

Crocker is a very good commentator, sadly let down by the fact that Andy Walker is usually next to him. He has soundtracked many great Hibs moments in the Sky Scottish football era.

Wellbankhibby
17-06-2019, 12:24 AM
My all time favourite David Francy Fantastic. Listening to his commentaries about our support Hibees Hibees.

zitelli62
17-06-2019, 12:25 AM
Arthur montford best of the lot stramash.

DetroitHibs
17-06-2019, 03:58 AM
Andy Gray on Sky Sports was always my favorite.

JimBHibees
17-06-2019, 05:47 AM
Crocker is a very good commentator, sadly let down by the fact that Andy Walker is usually next to him. He has soundtracked many great Hibs moments in the Sky Scottish football era.

Agree with that think Crocker is superb. Agree also about Walker and when you think about it the number of ex Celtic players on sky seems very odd, walker nicholas proven jeez even McInally gets a gig and he is thick as mince. Worst thing is none of them are any good but are great at running Scottish football down at every opportunity.

BSEJVT
17-06-2019, 06:37 AM
My all time favourite David Francy Fantastic. Listening to his commentaries about our support Hibees Hibees.

…..and its a drive, and its higgggggh over the top....

Pre regular football on TV, I have no idea how many times I listed to him commenting on midweek Hibs games

Far more nerve wracking listening to it on radio and you have absolutely no context of where the ball is etc

At times it sounded like a game of long bangers as the play zoomed from end to end

Great Days and a fabulous commentator

Barman Stanton
17-06-2019, 06:46 AM
Cocker my favourite. Liked him before the Cup win due to ‘twisting turning’. But I’m amazed that some people actually expect a commentator to have completely fresh lines every single game. Of course he will use the same lines on occasions.

IWasThere2016
17-06-2019, 06:48 AM
I like him. Thanks for the info OP

Since452
17-06-2019, 06:51 AM
Archie Macpherson must be the worst I've heard. Every time theres a shot "it's a goooal....no!" and "Ardrian Sproule".

Since452
17-06-2019, 06:53 AM
This.

Yup. It was also like he was reading a script from the final whistle onwards.

Gloucester Hibs
17-06-2019, 06:55 AM
Martin Tyler and Andy Gray briefly commentated on Scottish football before Sky created the premiership, can still remember Tyler's commentary of our '91 League Cup win. He kind of mucked up when the team went up to lift the trophy though, "..Neil Orr - a good club man who never got a game, Dave Beaumont - likewise." :confused:

hhibs
17-06-2019, 08:58 AM
…..and its a drive, and its higgggggh over the top....

Pre regular football on TV, I have no idea how many times I listed to him commenting on midweek Hibs games

Far more nerve wracking listening to it on radio and you have absolutely no context of where the ball is etc

At times it sounded like a game of long bangers as the play zoomed from end to end

Great Days and a fabulous commentator

Ah, great days indeed " the grass looking partikcuulaarillly grreeen today" one of my favourites that I well remember,indeed he did make grass growing exciting !

Stevie Reid
17-06-2019, 09:05 AM
Agree with that think Crocker is superb. Agree also about Walker and when you think about it the number of ex Celtic players on sky seems very odd, walker nicholas proven jeez even McInally gets a gig and he is thick as mince. Worst thing is none of them are any good but are great at running Scottish football down at every opportunity.

You're spot on there Jim, sadly.

jacomo
17-06-2019, 10:07 AM

True.

Ordinarily you wouldn’t describe a corner as a pivotal moment in a match, but context is everything. It was all Hibs at that point, the Rangers were just trying to hang on for extra time.

The Green Goblin
17-06-2019, 10:43 AM
Crocker is great.