PDA

View Full Version : Proclaimers in Melrose

Still Smiling
14-06-2019, 08:32 PM
I’m heading down tomorrow to see the Proclaimers in Melrose. Anyone else going down for a sing song? They are so good live.

JXM73
14-06-2019, 08:52 PM
Not until edinburgh castle 20th july, enjoy....

JXM73
14-06-2019, 09:16 PM
Just got tickets, see ye there lol

Here’s Lucy!
14-06-2019, 09:21 PM
They are past it.

Too old.

Brilliant in their day but goodness me, it would be like going to see the Rolling Stones.

Retire gracefully you old fools.

14-06-2019, 09:28 PM
They are past it.

Too old.

Brilliant in their day but goodness me, it would be like going to see the Rolling Stones.

Trolling

southsider
14-06-2019, 10:30 PM
They are past it.

Too old.

25 years younger Lucy. Go c a show u might actually have fun. Went to my first show in 1987 and have been going ever since,

The Pointer
14-06-2019, 10:36 PM
They are past it.

Too old.

Nonsense. Saw the Stranglers last year and they're still 20. The Procs will go on and on.

stoneyburn hibs
14-06-2019, 10:36 PM
They are past it.

Too old.

Cool story.

Viva_Palmeiras
14-06-2019, 10:58 PM
They are past it.

Too old.

Did you ever see the Stolling Rones live?

LancashireHibby
14-06-2019, 11:13 PM
Been to see Rod Stewart at Bolton tonight and he can still put a show on so nothing to be worried about with the Proclaimers. Would have loved to be at one of the Edinburgh Castle shows but I’ll have to hang on for Warrington in August.

ArmadaleHibs
14-06-2019, 11:39 PM
They are past it.

Too old.

Thanks for the input on that one Lucy. Nearly all the proclaimers concerts are sold out to date. Thankfully your not a fan. Can’t wait for Melrose. Should be a great day/night.

Ggtth

tamig
15-06-2019, 12:13 AM
They are past it.

Too old.

Not sure if you’re pished or what but what a nonsensical post. They are still a fantastic live act.

The 90+2
15-06-2019, 12:18 AM
Been to see Rod Stewart at Bolton tonight and he can still put a show on so nothing to be worried about with the Proclaimers. Would have loved to be at one of the Edinburgh Castle shows but I’ll have to hang on for Warrington in August.

That lassie in the green tartan on the violin during sunshine on leith to the castle backdrop was the best thing ever.

monktonharp
15-06-2019, 12:33 AM
my bro in law, actually hates them. he is of the gorgie orientation so nae surprise there. I will be in Glesga on the 14th of September to see them. my wife and daughter there with me for my birthday. got it in my diary/calander as the biggest event of the year for me. going to Wales to catch up with my son and family before that and looking forward to it but the Proclaimers gig will top it. !!!!!

monktonharp
15-06-2019, 12:36 AM
They are past it.

Too old.

Retire gracefully you old fools.don't think you have seen the Stones, (live) and don't believe you have been to a concert. sorry. don't believe your name is Lucy either :na na:

staunchhibby
15-06-2019, 07:02 AM
Another doll troll lol

Since452
15-06-2019, 07:07 AM
They are past it.

Too old.

While i think the Proclaimers are terrible, the Rolling Stones are still brilliant live. I think some Hibs fans force themselves to like the Proclaimers. Different story if they were Jambos.

Itsnoteasy
15-06-2019, 07:36 AM
While i think the Proclaimers are terrible, the Rolling Stones are still brilliant live. I think some Hibs fans force themselves to like the Proclaimers. Different story if they were Jambos.

Got to agree, also without the connection to Hibs in their lyrics would many bother.

To those cheering them on enjoy your Hibs themed day.

GreenCastle
15-06-2019, 07:44 AM
Feels like a few Jambos have signed up for Hibs.net recently.

Noticed quite a few trolling posts on several topics.

Proclaimers put on a fantastic concert and some brilliant songs.

Jealously gets you no where !

WestCoastHibby
15-06-2019, 07:47 AM
They are past it.

Too old.

Clown

Brooster
15-06-2019, 08:44 AM
They are past it.

Too old.

Retire gracefully you yam crank.

Ronniekirk
15-06-2019, 09:07 AM
Am heading down and will be wearing my green tee shirt with 1875 and harp
Like the idea of them playing in a Big Tent Atmosphere should be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigwheel
15-06-2019, 09:12 AM
They are past it.

Too old.

This is either

A) trolling - which if it is - not a bad job tbh...fair play..

Or more likely
B) someone who has never seen the Proclaimers live, or really listened to their body of work...and therefore, I feel sorry for you, to have missed the poetry and brilliance of their lyrics and harmony...nae luck wee man.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15-06-2019, 09:13 AM
This is either

Or more likely
B) someone who has never seen the Proclaimers live, or really listened to their body of work...and therefore, I feel sorry for you, to have missed the poetry and brilliance of their lyrics and harmony...nae luck wee man.......

Both

blackpoolhibs
15-06-2019, 09:14 AM
Just looked at their tour schedule, and they are playing right on my doorstep in August. :thumbsup:

SquashedFrogg
15-06-2019, 09:19 AM
They are past it.

Too old.

Hilarious post 🤣

SouthMoroccoStu
15-06-2019, 09:20 AM
They are past it.

Too old.

The Proclaimers have actually been replaced by excellent lookalikes several times

Like the sugababes, we now must be on the 6/7th reincarnation by now

I should know, I was the one on the left for the Life With You album and tour

So don’t worry Lucy Brown, you have many more years of Proclaimers enjoyment to come

FOR I WOULD WALK 500 MILES

Just Jimmy
15-06-2019, 09:21 AM
saw them a few months back in Manchester. which was about the 8th or 9th time I'd seen them and the first time outside Scotland. it was also the first time for a few years and it was the first time my partner had seen them live, shed never been much of a fan.

I didn't know what to expect really but they were superb. good number of Scots in the crowd but the English fans there made it a different feel. it was excellent. sunshine on leith was epic as always and really felt different post cup win. My Mrs absolutely loved it and now she considers herself a fan.

I can't wait to see them again.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

CockneyRebel
15-06-2019, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE=bigwheel;5812962]This is either

Or more likely

Well said!

Eyrie
15-06-2019, 09:36 AM

Got to agree, also without the connection to Hibs in their lyrics would many bother.

Agreed.

Their style of music leaves me cold and I'm not going to make an exception just because they're Hibs fans and one of them sat three seats away from me in the old North.

Peevemor
15-06-2019, 12:06 PM

To those cheering them on enjoy your Hibs themed day.I think that's doing them a disservice. Over the years there have been plenty of local bands with Hibs connections and Hibs related songs but they haven't had the same success as the Proclaimers.

As for their music, I'm a fan but I understand why they won't be everyone's cup of tea.

tamig
15-06-2019, 01:14 PM
Another doll troll lol

Aye. Who was the one that hated Paul Hanlon again? Think they changed their user name a few times after?

bigwheel
15-06-2019, 01:54 PM

That tells me you don't know their body of work....the Hibs " theme" of their Edinburgh gigs are a small part, and by far my least favourite reason for going....history will recognise their writing and harmonies as classics...they are amongst the best of their generation...they work hard and the musicality of their gigs is tight and incredibly professional....worthy of respect as top scottish musicians.

CMurdoch
15-06-2019, 03:20 PM
I feel sorry for the Reid brothers as songwriters and artists.
Let me explain.

They have written a lot of great songs but 95% of the folk that go to their gigs couldn't name 10 Proclaimers songs.
The same 95% at the gigs couldn't name 3 songs they have released since 2002.

Their Hibs connection including "Sunshine On Leith" guarantees them sell out gigs to Hibs fans and their families, ex pats etc, football fans etc which is great for them financially.
However, that singalong populist audience are not interested in art or music beyond the songs they have heard hundreds of times.
Sadly The Proclaimers are now in the Scottish showbiz box with Rod Stewart and are dead to people who love music.
Tin hat on.

On a positive note, enjoy the Melrose gig today in the certainty that it will be much better than the upcoming Edinburgh Castle date.
The general rule is. Small venue great. Big venue not nearly so good. Big outside venue, bad. Big outside venue before darkness, very bad.

Bishop Hibee
15-06-2019, 03:46 PM
I couldn’t name 1 song the Rolling Stones have issued since 1992.

patch1875
15-06-2019, 03:55 PM
Not seen The Proclaimers for years but always put on a good show.

Now The Stones are still head and shoulders above most bands live their desire and enthusiasm to perform is second to none.

Hibby70
15-06-2019, 04:03 PM
I couldn’t name 1 song the Rolling Stones have issued since 1992.

Neither could they

ArmadaleHibs
15-06-2019, 04:11 PM
I’m in Melrose today for the proclaimers gig and I can assure anyone who thinks they are solely promoted and loved by only Hibs fans is wrong. Yes there’s a few Hibs fans down here. In fact there’s probably hundreds but the majority of the pubs are heaving with non football linked proclaimers fans. Yes I’m Hibs mad and I do probably have an allegiance to the procs via Hibs. But go to a concert and you will see that they are supported by mostly Scots who love there music.

Ggtth

Since452
15-06-2019, 06:26 PM
Neither could they

😂 definitely not Keith Richards. He still thinks it's the early 60's and Hearts have recently won the league cup

Kojock
15-06-2019, 06:34 PM
I went to see Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music at the Playhouse in the late 70’s and it was superb. Guy I used to work with went to Germany two weeks ago to see him and said it was a brilliant performance. Age and music has no boundaries.

Pretty Boy
15-06-2019, 06:38 PM
The Proclaimers have written some amazing songs. Their decision to collaborate with Edwyn Collins a few years back was bordering on genius and gave them a whole new lease of life.

Of course they attract an audience looking to be serenaded with the hits. Very few bands don't but that shouldn't take away from their talent.

I'm at the castle in July and can't wait. I'm heading along with my English girlfriend, her Celtic supporting pal who is bringing her Hearts supporting husband.

JXM73
15-06-2019, 10:54 PM
Cracking gig....

Jim44
16-06-2019, 02:03 AM
Cracking gig....

I think a Proclaimers gig in an intimate venue like Melrose would be awesome. Dead jealous to have missed it.

MSK
16-06-2019, 04:44 AM
The Proclaimers have written some amazing songs. Their decision to collaborate with Edwyn Collins a few years back was bordering on genius and gave them a whole new lease of life.

Of course they attract an audience looking to be serenaded with the hits. Very few bands don't but that shouldn't take away from their talent.

I'm at the castle in July and can't wait. I'm heading along with my English girlfriend, her Celtic supporting pal who is bringing her Hearts supporting husband.I was at their castle gig a few years ago, we were surrounded with foreign accents who surprisingly knew the words to a lot of their songs, as opposed to my Wife who just made a lot of them up as she went along 😆 great atmosphere, and a really good gig, oh and it was dry 😆

CallumLaidlaw
16-06-2019, 05:38 AM
They are past it.

Too old.

Have seen them around 8-9 times over the last 25 years, and last years gig at the playhouse was the best I’ve seen them. They are getting better, not worse.

CallumLaidlaw
16-06-2019, 05:39 AM

OR, they’re just not to your taste. My 14 year old thinks they’re great and he wouldn’t be swayed just by their Hibs leanings. I also know a few jambos that are huge fans and go to see them regularly.

hibbydog
16-06-2019, 08:11 AM
Let me explain.

They have written a lot of great songs but 95% of the folk that go to their gigs couldn't name 10 Proclaimers songs.

Their Hibs connection including "Sunshine On Leith" guarantees them sell out gigs to Hibs fans and their families, ex pats etc, football fans etc which is great for them financially.
However, that singalong populist audience are not interested in art or music beyond the songs they have heard hundreds of times.
Sadly The Proclaimers are now in the Scottish showbiz box with Rod Stewart and are dead to people who love music.
Tin hat on.

On a positive note, enjoy the Melrose gig today in the certainty that it will be much better than the upcoming Edinburgh Castle date.
The general rule is. Small venue great. Big venue not nearly so good. Big outside venue, bad. Big outside venue before darkness, very bad.

Utter nonsense. Making up your own statistics as well.

Blatant trolling and just looking for an argument.

Laughable.

southsider
16-06-2019, 09:32 AM
They are past it.

Too old.

Have you heard The streets of Edinburgh? It’s just sensational.

PapillonVert
16-06-2019, 09:53 AM
Have you heard The streets of Edinburgh? It’s just sensational.

Lovely song.

Catch the official video with a couple of Hibee references:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qTbLoyQ23g

Really enjoyed the album. 'Angry Cyclist' as well.

bingo70
16-06-2019, 10:03 AM
Is there any support acts on this tour?

Loopz
16-06-2019, 10:45 AM

https://lnk.to/MagpieBlue

My wife’s cousin, only found out last night when I mentioned this thread in conversation.

Rocky
16-06-2019, 11:30 AM
They are past it.

Too old.

You're so right. There's no way at the age they are now that they could still put on the high intensity shows like the late eighties with all that spandex, flashpots going off after every song and running around like banshees playing guitar solos.

RoxburghHibs
16-06-2019, 11:48 AM
They are past it.

Too old.

Ageism

Ronniekirk
16-06-2019, 01:55 PM

There were four in Melrose too many given calibre of acts imo

Leithenhibby
16-06-2019, 08:55 PM
Had the good fortune to be there with my two boys. Brilliant day/night with the twins knocking it out the park, again. 10/10

CMurdoch
16-06-2019, 09:45 PM
Utter nonsense. Making up your own statistics as well.

Blatant trolling and just looking for an argument.

Laughable.

:wink: The stats are ball park guesses but probably not far of the mark.

Picture this,
Middle age female attending one of the Proclaimers gigs at the Castle later this summer.
Me: Casually approach, engage her in conversation and ask how many Proclaimers songs she can name? (lets pretend i'm not told to Foxtrot Oscar)
Her: 500 miles etc, Letter from America, Sunshine on Leith ..................big pause, Let's Get Married .......................another big pause, I'm On My Way .......................King Of The Road (I politely remind her that's a cover) .................cue tumbleweed. Congratulations you have named 5 songs from over 30 years of the Proclaimers.

That would be typical for much of the audience.
There won't be many folk like Papillon Vert in attendance (posted above) who are aware of the last Proclaimers album "Angry Cyclist" never mind who have listened to or bought it.

This summer the middle age music aficionado's will be mainly avoiding the crowds, singalongs and expensive tickets at the Castle to attend at the Leith Theatre to see the wonderful Teenage Fanclub do their thang. No "putting on a great show", just great music. Bliss.

I say that as someone who owns 6 of the 7 albums the Proclaimers released between 1987 & 2007 and someone who has listened to last years "Angry Cyclist" album. You will be glad to hear i will never attend another of their gigs unless there are no Hibs supporters, scottish folk, ex pats, etc in attendance and they promise not to play 500 ****in miles. Petrie!!!!!!

P.S I wouldn't have liked it but i bet the Melrose gig in the big tent was very good. I also hope those attending the Castle gigs have a great time.

.Sean.
17-06-2019, 02:12 PM

Picture this,
Middle age female attending one of the Proclaimers gigs at the Castle later this summer.
Me: Casually approach, engage her in conversation and ask how many Proclaimers songs she can name? (lets pretend i'm not told to Foxtrot Oscar)
Her: 500 miles etc, Letter from America, Sunshine on Leith ..................big pause, Let's Get Married .......................another big pause, I'm On My Way .......................King Of The Road (I politely remind her that's a cover) .................cue tumbleweed. Congratulations you have named 5 songs from over 30 years of the Proclaimers.

There won't be many folk like Papillon Vert in attendance (posted above) who are aware of the last Proclaimers album "Angry Cyclist" never mind who have listened to or bought it.

This summer the middle age music aficionado's will be mainly avoiding the crowds, singalongs and expensive tickets at the Castle to attend at the Leith Theatre to see the wonderful Teenage Fanclub do their thang. No "putting on a great show", just great music. Bliss.

I say that as someone who owns 6 of the 7 albums the Proclaimers released between 1987 & 2007 and someone who has listened to last years "Angry Cyclist" album. You will be glad to hear i will never attend another of their gigs unless there are no Hibs supporters, scottish folk, ex pats, etc in attendance and they promise not to play 500 ****in miles. Petrie!!!!!!

P.S I wouldn't have liked it but i bet the Melrose gig in the big tent was very good. I also hope those attending the Castle gigs have a great time.
Any reason you’re being so patronising on this thread? :confused:

Here’s Lucy!
17-06-2019, 02:21 PM

Picture this,

Christ, and to think I got pelters for my post on this thread on Friday night too!

Including the rather charming ‘yam crank’ chat.

green with envy
17-06-2019, 02:24 PM
They are past it.

Too old.

Fool! How do you suggest that a gap of 20 years between the twins and Mick Jagger is comparable?

WeeRussell
17-06-2019, 02:25 PM
Any reason you’re being so patronising on this thread? :confused:

As well as writing an essay which describes a situation no different to any other gig with a 4 figure attendance.

Who knows, maybe a few of the attendees at Melrose had all 7 of the albums from the very selective years the quoter plucked out, and would be scoffing at him should he have dared to turn up and enjoy himself.

On another note. I’ve seen the proclaimers and the stones multiple times and both are up there with the best bands I’ve had the pleasure of seeing.

WeeRussell
17-06-2019, 02:27 PM
Christ, and to think I got pelters for my post on this thread on Friday night too!

Including the rather charming ‘yam crank’ chat.

Yours was as bad.. just a shorter read and quicker to spot what you were at.

Here’s Lucy!
17-06-2019, 02:28 PM
Fool! How do you suggest that a gap of 20 years between the twins and Mick Jagger is comparable?

I accept that, and concede that my example was not a good one!

Here’s Lucy!
17-06-2019, 02:30 PM
Yours was as bad.. just a shorter read and quicker to spot what you were at.

I wasn't ‘at’ anything WR.

I made a post that I perhaps should have given more thought to, before doing so.

Out of interest, what did you perceive that I was ‘at’?

superfurryhibby
17-06-2019, 02:39 PM
I wasn't ‘at’ anything WR.

I made a post that I perhaps should have given more thought to, before doing so.

Out of interest, what did you perceive that I was ‘at’?

The wind-up? :na na:

Here’s Lucy!
17-06-2019, 02:42 PM
The wind-up? :na na:

Not bad!

A wee wind-up after a few ‘Friday beers’? Aye, maybe. :aok:

A serious post? No’ really.

superfurryhibby
17-06-2019, 03:11 PM
Not bad!

A wee wind-up after a few ‘Friday beers’? Aye, maybe. :aok:

A serious post? No’ really.

Fair play, but you did ask:wink:

wallpaperman
17-06-2019, 04:46 PM

Picture this,

I must say that I kind of agree with you.

I'd describe myself as a fan, but not rabidly so, own about two thirds of their albums. First saw them in 1986 supporting the The Housemartins at the Assembly Rooms, these two skinny kids with guitars and no backing at all at that point were instantly fascinating.

Seen them them a couple of times after that the last time at the Usher Hall, must have been 25 years ago.

Now, I love their association with Hibs, all the way back to the Mercer takeover days, and the greatest football anthem of them all.

But..... I do find the Hibs thing just a little cringey at times, and I suspect the Reid's would maybe say the same deep down if you game them truth serum.

Are the local concerts always full of people in Hibs tops and carrying flags, turning the event into a mini Hibs rally? They weren't when I last saw them but that was before SOL became the song.

I totally disagree with Lucy Brown, in no way are they past it musically, long may they continue.

CMurdoch
17-06-2019, 05:45 PM
I must say that I kind of agree with you.

I'd describe myself as a fan, but not rabidly so, own about two thirds of their albums. First saw them in 1986 supporting the The Housemartins at the Assembly Rooms, these two skinny kids with guitars and no backing at all at that point were instantly fascinating.

Seen them them a couple of times after that the last time at the Usher Hall, must have been 25 years ago.

Now, I love their association with Hibs, all the way back to the Mercer takeover days, and the greatest football anthem of them all.

But..... I do find the Hibs thing just a little cringey at times, and I suspect the Reid's would maybe say the same deep down if you game them truth serum.

Are the local concerts always full of people in Hibs tops and carrying flags, turning the event into a mini Hibs rally? They weren't when I last saw them but that was before SOL became the song.

I totally disagree with Lucy Brown, in no way are they past it musically, long may they continue.

I saw the Proclaimers in the early pre band days and liked them a lot. Loads of energy and different to any other act at the time.
Last time i saw them was 2002 at Haddington Corn Exchange but the Hibs thing was already happening and spoilt the gig a bit.
I have listened to all their album releases since then and there are a lot of good songs on them but I wouldn't go and see them.
The Melrose gig was £43.50 a ticket. The Castle gig will be considerably more expensive.
For the price of a Castle gig ticket I could probably go to three gigs this year Teenage Fanclub at Leith and Calexice/Iron & Wine and Bill Callahan at the Usher Hall all of whom i consider musically superior and more interesting.

However, we all see things differently and it's great that folk get great enjoyment out of going to see the Proclaimers.
Different strokes for different folks.

Peevemor
17-06-2019, 05:48 PM
I saw the Proclaimers in the early pre band days and liked them a lot. Loads of energy and different to any other act at the time.
Last time i saw them was 2002 at Haddington Corn Exchange but the Hibs thing was already happening and spoilt the gig a bit.
I have listened to all their album releases since then and there are a lot of good songs on them but wouldn't go and see them.
The Melrose gig was £43.50 a ticket. The castle will be considerably more expensive.
For the price of a Castle gig ticket I could probably go to three gigs this year Teenage Fanclub at Leith and Calexice/Iron & Wine and Bill Callahan at the Usher Hall all of whom i consider musically superior and more interesting.

However, we all see things differently and it's great that folk get great enjoyment out of going to see the Proclaimers.
My wife has no interest in football and is bemused by my level of obsession with Hibs and football in general.
Different strokes for different folks.Any time I've seen them live, the Hibs thing has come from the crowd (not to the point of ruining anything) and not from the Twins themselves, apart from the occasional lyric.

CMurdoch
17-06-2019, 06:23 PM
Any time I've seen them live, the Hibs thing has come from the crowd (not to the point of ruining anything) and not from the Twins themselves, apart from the occasional lyric.

I agree the Hibs thing comes from the crowd and not the twins.
I just don't like mixing music with football.
There is also the populist issues of the "Sunshine on Leith" jukebox musical and movie.
If you looked at it through the prism of "Off The Ball" Tam would would like all that stuff but Stuart wouldn't.
I have long since realised I am Stuart rather than Tam!
This was a blow given Tam is far more likeable than Stuart.

hibbydog
17-06-2019, 06:38 PM

Picture this,

I think I’ll change the tone of our exchange saying we should agree to disagree.

PS what you doing approaching middle aged women at gigs? 🤣

CMurdoch
17-06-2019, 07:56 PM
I think I’ll change the tone of our exchange saying we should agree to disagree.

PS what you doing approaching middle aged women at gigs? ��

I've already come across as pretentious music guy so best i don't dis middle aged women at gigs further by giving a smart answer to your question :aok:

cocteautwin
18-06-2019, 12:43 AM
Let me explain.

Tin hat on.

Is there any popular band around though that is anything but a mere tribute act to their first few albums? I don't think it's a phenomenon exclusive to The Proclaimers.

Sick Boy: Well, at one time, you've got it, and then you lose it, and it's gone forever. All walks of life: George Best, for example. Had it, lost it. Or David Bowie, or Lou Reed.
Renton: Lou Reed, some of his solo stuff's not bad.
Sick Boy: No, it's not bad. But it's not great either, is it? And in your heart you kind of know that although it sounds all right, it's actually just...s h!t e.

CMurdoch
18-06-2019, 01:47 AM
Is there any popular band around though that is anything but a mere tribute act to their first few albums? I don't think it's a phenomenon exclusive to The Proclaimers.

Sick Boy: Well, at one time, you've got it, and then you lose it, and it's gone forever. All walks of life: George Best, for example. Had it, lost it. Or David Bowie, or Lou Reed.
Sick Boy: No, it's not bad. But it's not great either, is it? And in your heart you kind of know that although it sounds all right, it's actually just...s h!t e.

Nice one, like those lines from Trainspotting. Lot of truth in them.

It all swings around the definition of a popular band.
Obviously as a muso i don't like popular artists :wink:.
Hell, you understand your a Cocteau Twin :cool2:.
Can you imagine how much Hibee Proclaimers fans would like listening to them :rolleyes:. The word pish would be getting banded aboot.

Ok, final offer. I will go and see the Proclaimers if they don't play 500 miles, Letter from America, Let's Get Married & Cap in Hand.
I wish i never had to hear any of those songs ever ever again.

The Proclaimers are pretty rare in that their most popular songs are some of their worst and some of their best songs are almost unknown to many of their fans.

P.S. Are you in Shanghai or Grangemouth?

cocteautwin
18-06-2019, 02:25 AM
Nice one, like those lines from Trainspotting. Lot of truth in them.

It all swings around the definition of a popular band.
Obviously as a muso i don't like popular artists :wink:.
Hell, you understand your a Cocteau Twin :cool2:.
Can you imagine how much Hibee Proclaimers fans would like listening to them :rolleyes:. The word pish would be getting banded aboot.

Ok, final offer. I will go and see the Proclaimers if they don't play 500 miles, Letter from America, Let's Get Married & Cap in Hand.
I wish i never had to hear any of those songs ever ever again.

The Proclaimers are pretty rare in that their most popular songs are some of their worst and some of their best songs are almost unknown to many of their fans.

P.S. Are you in Shanghai or Grangemouth?

Most definitely not in Grangemouth :greengrin

I've never been a big fan of The Proclaimers as their sound doesn't catch my ear, so I am not in a position to comment on the longevity of their quality. Cocteau Twins were also a rare phenomenon in the music world in that arguably the quality of their creative output extended even to their last two studio albums (of 9), after what is widely considered their peak, Heaven or Las Vegas.

As for my own career, this most definitely peaked somewhere around 1998 and the quote from Sick Boy strongly applies.

Greenbeard
18-06-2019, 08:51 AM

Aye, same goes for Steps.

cocteautwin
18-06-2019, 09:06 AM
Aye, same goes for Steps.

They could never recreate the quality of their first album.

Barman Stanton
18-06-2019, 10:00 AM
Like it or not Sunshine on Leith has been a huge part of recent Hibs history. The videos of us singing that song has massively raised awareness of Hibs and has got us more supporters around the world.

If its not your bag then fair enough, but why would you want to slag them off on a Hibs forum!? I really don't get some Hibs fans at all. Do you get Liverpool or Celtic fans slagging off YNWA? I very much doubt it.

Since452
18-06-2019, 10:09 AM
They could never recreate the quality of their first album.

Was never the same after H went off the rails

oldbutdim
18-06-2019, 10:35 AM
Like it or not Sunshine on Leith has been a huge part of recent Hibs history. The videos of us singing that song has massively raised awareness of Hibs and has got us more supporters around the world.

If its not your bag then fair enough, but why would you want to slag them off on a Hibs forum!? I really don't get some Hibs fans at all. Do you get Liverpool or Celtic fans slagging off YNWA? I very much doubt it.

I quite agree.

That anthem is now world famous, and is indelibly linked to Hibs success in breaking the hoodoo.

I'm not a 'big' fan of the Proclaimers, haven't bought a record and have only seen them live at a Testimonial dinner, but I'm going to see them at the Castle gig.
As you say, not every Hibs fan HAS to be a Proclaimers fan, just as not every Jambo HAS to be a devotee of Ronnie Corbett, but to take the trouble of frankly being a bit bitchy about them on a Hibs forum is puzzling.

I've never seen anything on Sickbag suggesting that Ronnie Corbett is an unfunny wee poshboy, although that would have far more merit than criticising Craig and Charlie on here.

Barman Stanton
18-06-2019, 11:38 AM
I quite agree.

That anthem is now world famous, and is indelibly linked to Hibs success in breaking the hoodoo.

I'm not a 'big' fan of the Proclaimers, haven't bought a record and have only seen them live at a Testimonial dinner, but I'm going to see them at the Castle gig.
As you say, not every Hibs fan HAS to be a Proclaimers fan, just as not every Jambo HAS to be a devotee of Ronnie Corbett, but to take the trouble of frankly being a bit bitchy about them on a Hibs forum is puzzling.

I've never seen anything on Sickbag suggesting that Ronnie Corbett is an unfunny wee poshboy, although that would have far more merit than criticising Craig and Charlie on here.

Spot on. I have said it before on here but I really cant think of any other club that sticks the boot into its own club like some Hibees do.

CockneyRebel
18-06-2019, 11:38 AM

I agree. Very few people share the exact taste in music and this forum could have a post that would go on forever if arguments and name calling started. If I listed all of the music I liked (which is a very broad spectrum but a bit retro) and said everything else other than this s pi*h then the post would probably run longer than "Mousetrap" (for the younger viewers this was a stage play in London's West End than ran for onger than any other show).
I have argued over music loads of times and dissed many bands but it never resolved anything as you can't force folk to like/dislike an artist or band so you have to agree to disagree.
I haven't listened to all the Proclaimers albums and those that I have I didn't like all of the songs, but on every album I did find some well written tunes and excellent lyrics - some a bit folksy and same a bit bluesy (My Old Friend The Blues, love this early one). I saw them in a small venue in Montrose many years ago, just about 200 folk and they gave a brilliant show. Would I go to see them again? Hell yeah.

CMurdoch
18-06-2019, 12:42 PM
I agree. Very few people share the exact taste in music and this forum could have a post that would go on forever if arguments and name calling started. If I listed all of the music I liked (which is a very broad spectrum but a bit retro) and said everything else other than this s pi*h then the post would probably run longer than "Mousetrap" (for the younger viewers this was a stage play in London's West End than ran for onger than any other show).
I have argued over music loads of times and dissed many bands but it never resolved anything as you can't force folk to like/dislike an artist or band so you have to agree to disagree.
I haven't listened to all the Proclaimers albums and those that I have I didn't like all of the songs, but on every album I did find some well written tunes and excellent lyrics - some a bit folksy and same a bit bluesy (My Old Friend The Blues, love this early one). I saw them in a small venue in Montrose many years ago, just about 200 folk and they gave a brilliant show. Would I go to see them again? Hell yeah.

As music pedant guy i must point out that "My Old Friend The Blues" is a cover of a Steve Earle song from his rather gid 1986 debut album "Guitar Town" :wink:

CMurdoch
18-06-2019, 12:48 PM
Most definitely not in Grangemouth :greengrin

I've never been a big fan of The Proclaimers as their sound doesn't catch my ear, so I am not in a position to comment on the longevity of their quality. Cocteau Twins were also a rare phenomenon in the music world in that arguably the quality of their creative output extended even to their last two studio albums (of 9), after what is widely considered their peak, Heaven or Las Vegas.

As for my own career, this most definitely peaked somewhere around 1998 and the quote from Sick Boy strongly applies.

In honour of you i have looked out and am now playing ra Cocteau's "Treasure" CD, not their very best but gid stuff

CMurdoch
18-06-2019, 12:52 PM

To do similar they would have to slag off the writers/performers of YNWA
No one on this thread has slagged of "Sunshine on Leith"
It does and will always stand up.

Barman Stanton
18-06-2019, 01:29 PM

I imagine most people don't even know who wrote YNWA. Many will mistakenly think it was Gerry and the Pacemakers. Also many clubs around the world sign it. Where as Sunshine On Leith is only really sang by The Proclaimers and Hibs fans. Its our song that no one else can really sing. Ok no one slagged of the actual song. But I still dont understand slagging off the writers of our anthem on a Hibs forum :dunno:

Here’s Lucy!
18-06-2019, 01:42 PM
‘Sunshine on Leith’ is one of, if not the, best anthems in football and for that very reason, is un-slaggable.

The only one that comes close in the ‘goosebumps’ stakes, is YNWA.

southsider
18-06-2019, 01:48 PM
YNWA comes from the Rodgers & Hammersmith musical Carousel sung on stage by Julie Jordan.

CockneyRebel
18-06-2019, 01:49 PM
As music pedant guy i must point out that "My Old Friend The Blues" is a cover of a Steve Earle song from his rather gid 1986 debut album "Guitar Town" :wink:

Missed that info on the album - I usually make a point of checking it as well. Still, they sing it well. I will look up Steve Earl's original on Youtube and give it a bash cos I like the song.

WeeRussell
18-06-2019, 01:53 PM

Now you’re talking my language! Superb album.

southsider
18-06-2019, 01:54 PM
Steve is some character. Been married 7 or 8 times. Done a stint in jail and nearly died a few times thru drugs. But fantastic singer/ songwriter.

Ronniekirk
18-06-2019, 01:56 PM

But they do cover it well and it didn’t get an airing in Melrose
I like enough of their material to go and see them every so often But like lots of Artists they all have a shelf life where they are past their creative best but can still put on a good show although their sound quality live can be variable imo
We stayed in a small pub in Lilliesleaf outside Melrose and the three couples in the Bar after midnight were there as had also been to the concert One couple were from Burnley and had come up specially to see them for the first time and weren’t really that award of the Hibs connection but loved the idea of thousands of football supporters singing Sunshine on Leith as their Anthem

CockneyRebel
18-06-2019, 02:52 PM
Missed that info on the album - I usually make a point of checking it as well. Still, they sing it well. I will look up Steve Earl's original on Youtube and give it a bash cos I like the song.

Listened in to a few of his songs (Youtube not best quaity sound but "Angry young man" and "Copperhead road" superb) and sorry I missed out on hearing him before and will definitely delve further. Glad I posted now.

CMurdoch
18-06-2019, 02:53 PM
Now you’re talking my language! Superb album.

:aok:Yeah it's a really good album*.

*Only caveat is Track 9 "Little R N Roller" should be avoided. It's that albums yellow submarine moment.

GGTTH07
18-06-2019, 02:55 PM
Looking for 2 tickets for the Edinburgh castle gig guys if there is any available!

Gregor
18-06-2019, 03:07 PM
Looking for 2 tickets for the Edinburgh castle gig guys if there is any available!

Might have. Let me find out ; I'll PM you later this evening if they're still going.

southsider
18-06-2019, 03:15 PM
Listened in to a few of his songs (Youtube not best quaity sound but "Angry young man" and "Copperhead road" superb) and sorry I missed out on hearing him before and will definitely delve further. Glad I posted now.

Try the song Billy Austin.

CMurdoch
18-06-2019, 03:47 PM
Listened in to a few of his songs (Youtube not best quaity sound but "Angry young man" superb) and sorry I missed out on hearing him before and will definitely delve further. Glad I posted now.

I stopped listening Steve Earle many years ago but recently a Hibee I train with spoke to me about him and identified 3 albums which he thought were really good but that i hadn't heard. Two of them were "I Feel Alright" (1996) and Transcendental Blues (2000) and i would recommend them.
His best known album is "Copperhead Road" (1988) and Guitar Town" (1986) is well liked. Both would be a good starting point :aok:.

Smartie
18-06-2019, 04:22 PM
Nobody should be above criticism and music tastes are just a matter of opinion. Why should folk who don't like the Proclaimers not be allowed to state so on here? That's not putting the boot in, it is expressing an opinion. You don't get to where Charlie and Craig have without encountering people who aren't big fans of your music along the way.

As it happens, I love them. I remember going to see them at the Whitehall theatre in Dundee about 18 years ago. It was the first gig they'd done in some time (can't remember why) and it was up there with the best live performances I've been to. I'm not a fan of 500 miles, but Letter from America is a masterpiece alongside Sunshine on Leith. Cap in Hand is another of my favourites. My Dad used to have them on in the car all the time when we were wee, and I always surprise folk (including myself) when I realise I have subconsciously managed to learn all the words to songs like Throw the R Away.

I have a love hate relationship with Scotland and have always lived here. Whenever I've been away for more than a few days though I always find myself putting their music on on my way back home. There is probably more I can relate to in their music than that of almost any other band and I often feel like a view Scotland in a similar way to them - with frustration more than anything but with a few other positive and negative sentiments thrown in.

CMurdoch
18-06-2019, 07:03 PM
Nobody should be above criticism and music tastes are just a matter of opinion. Why should folk who don't like the Proclaimers not be allowed to state so on here? That's not putting the boot in, it is expressing an opinion. You don't get to where Charlie and Craig have without encountering people who aren't big fans of your music along the way.

As it happens, I love them. I remember going to see them at the Whitehall theatre in Dundee about 18 years ago. It was the first gig they'd done in some time (can't remember why) and it was up there with the best live performances I've been to. I'm not a fan of 500 miles, but Letter from America is a masterpiece alongside Sunshine on Leith. Cap in Hand is another of my favourites. My Dad used to have them on in the car all the time when we were wee, and I always surprise folk (including myself) when I realise I have subconsciously managed to learn all the words to songs like Throw the R Away.

I have a love hate relationship with Scotland and have always lived here. Whenever I've been away for more than a few days though I always find myself putting their music on on my way back home. There is probably more I can relate to in their music than that of almost any other band and I often feel like a view Scotland in a similar way to them - with frustration more than anything but with a few other positive and negative sentiments thrown in.

It's good to sometimes go against the grain to get a bit of discussion going.
Not much happening on the football front with Hibs at the moment so it was a chance for folks to get heated about something else that lots of us at least know about.
Probably not the right thread to do it on but it was something different from implausible rumour and puns..

Maybe I could start a thread on how much I hate the dirge that is "Flower of Scotland"
Nah, that wouldn't get anyone frothing at the mouth.

Bishop Hibee
18-06-2019, 07:15 PM
It’ll never be as bad as the dirge that is GSTQ.......

I’ve seen The Proclaimers pre and post Sunshine on Leith being a Hibs anthem as well as down south with only a handful of Hibees present. Different experiences but all enjoyable. A charity gig at Easter Road in front of thousands would be incredible.

CMurdoch
18-06-2019, 07:36 PM

I’ve seen The Proclaimers pre and post Sunshine on Leith being a Hibs anthem as well as down south with only a handful of Hibees present. Different experiences but all enjoyable. A charity gig at Easter Road in front of thousands would be incredible.

Yeah GSTQ is horrific as well

Scotland the Brave has a brilliant tune, infinitely better than the cure for insomnia that is "Flower of Scotland"

Iggy Pope
18-06-2019, 08:49 PM
Cocteau Twin......I adore the stuff the Cocteau Twins did and did so from the start.
Mrs Iggy bought me a sumptuous box set of theirs about 20 years back, maybe more, All cds in a velvet box lid with remixes of the singles on 4AD. Until then everything I had was on vinyl as they were part of the post punk pantheon that had swallowed up anyone with ears.
I listen to them more than I do the Proclaimers who are a joy to listen to at Easter Road. And Hampden.

I remember hipsters of the time (yes, we had them) trying to get me into this folk punk stuff that was ‘This Is The Story’. I never got it anymore than I did the poet of Barking and all his ‘Spy vs Spy’ stuff. We had Red Wedge then. Now we’ve goy Ayes and Naws.

Anyone who witnessed the Pogues play Edinburgh mid 80s (Xmas 85 at the Playhouse maybe) will know what a crowd can bring to a live act. Liz and Robin wouldnae have fancied that gig much at all! I thoroughly did though.

cocteautwin
19-06-2019, 02:53 AM
In honour of you i have looked out and am now playing ra Cocteau's "Treasure" CD, not their very best but gid stuff

IMHO, Treasure is where they raised their game and that album, along with the 6 that followed, are musical genius. Not everyone would agree though.

cocteautwin
19-06-2019, 03:05 AM
Cocteau Twin......I adore the stuff the Cocteau Twins did and did so from the start.
Mrs Iggy bought me a sumptuous box set of theirs about 20 years back, maybe more, All cds in a velvet box lid with remixes of the singles on 4AD. Until then everything I had was on vinyl as they were part of the post punk pantheon that had swallowed up anyone with ears.
I listen to them more than I do the Proclaimers who are a joy to listen to at Easter Road. And Hampden.

I remember hipsters of the time (yes, we had them) trying to get me into this folk punk stuff that was ‘This Is The Story’. I never got it anymore than I did the poet of Barking and all his ‘Spy vs Spy’ stuff. We had Red Wedge then. Now we’ve goy Ayes and Naws.

Anyone who witnessed the Pogues play Edinburgh mid 80s (Xmas 85 at the Playhouse maybe) will know what a crowd can bring to a live act. Liz and Robin wouldnae have fancied that gig much at all! I thoroughly did though.

I really should try and get my hands on that box set. It's full of great stuff not available on any of their albums. Cocteau Twins were a major influence on the music I listen to nowadays, which depending on the mood is mostly post rock/drone ambient bands like Stars of The Lid, Hammock etc. The 4AD record label in the 80s was fantastic. It's rare to find a record label driven by someone with consistent music tastes. Whoever owns Labrador music in Sweden gets my thumbs up also.

Niffy
19-06-2019, 04:59 AM
Seen The P’s support the Housemartins in Edinburgh and at the end of their set they ran to back of room to sell their CD.

WeeRussell
19-06-2019, 12:00 PM
:aok:Yeah it's a really good album*.

*Only caveat is Track 9 "Little R N Roller" should be avoided. It's that albums yellow submarine moment.

No no no. That’s a great track!! ;)

Someday remains my favourite though.

CMurdoch
19-06-2019, 09:41 PM
No no no. That’s a great track!! ;)

Someday remains my favourite though.

Russell, The song starts well but I really hate the mawkish lyric.
e.g. "Cause I know there's an angel just for rock 'n' rollers
Watchin' over you and your daddy tonight"
Yuk!

"Someday" is good though as are all the other tracks.

CMurdoch
19-06-2019, 09:54 PM

That is a really top notch boxset :thumbsup:.
Fills in all the gaps.
Record company got it right for once.

Is this the first time the Cocteau Twins have been discussed on Hibs.net?
Meanwhile JKB posters are discussing how much they like the Stone Roses for the thousandth time :wink:.

CMurdoch
19-06-2019, 10:13 PM
IMHO, Treasure is where they raised their game and that album, along with the 6 that followed, are musical genius. Not everyone would agree though.

I have never owned or even heard the 2 albums they released on Fontana after leaving 4AD.
Not sure why. I should remedy that.
The box set that Iggy Pope has is the business for filling in all the gaps in a Cocteau's collection.
Wish my wife had bought me it!

CMurdoch
19-06-2019, 10:17 PM
Steve is some character. Been married 7 or 8 times. Done a stint in jail and nearly died a few times thru drugs. But fantastic singer/ songwriter.

Makes O' Connor, Riordan & Stokes sound a bit tame :rolleyes:

WeeRussell
19-06-2019, 10:18 PM

A fearless heart indeed!

KazHibby
20-06-2019, 07:21 AM

Great night in Melrose by a great band! Imho seen them in Dubai a couple of times, Edinburgh leads, Kelso, Dundee to name a few! Don't like all their songs don't agree with all their sentiments but can totally relate, maybe an age thing!

Iggy Pope
20-06-2019, 04:10 PM
That is a really top notch boxset :thumbsup:.
Fills in all the gaps.
Record company got it right for once.

Is this the first time the Cocteau Twins have been discussed on Hibs.net?
Meanwhile JKB posters are discussing how much they like the Stone Roses for the thousandth time :wink:.

PM me and I’ll do my best to mail you MP3s of anything your desperate for. Not that I ever, ever, held anything against the Stone Roses.....!

WeeRussell
15-07-2019, 12:28 PM
Try the song Billy Austin.

I did this today. Brilliant. Thank you.