PDA

View Full Version : David Turnbull

RIP Bestie
13-06-2019, 06:46 AM
Hopefully not another promising youngster having his potential ripped away from him at the graveyard that is Parkhead.

500miles
13-06-2019, 06:52 AM
They're not spending 3m on squad filler. He'll play.

wallpaperman
13-06-2019, 07:00 AM
Guess Celtic have learned their lesson about lowballing, as £3 million to another Scottish team for a player with less than 40 games under his belt is quite un-Celtic.

Good player undoubtedly.

Leitherhibs
13-06-2019, 07:25 AM
Quality player, can't believe he didn't break through until this season, he'll get game time at Celtic.

MagicSwirlingShip
13-06-2019, 07:33 AM
Mcgregor has been linked with a few clubs down South, Leicester especially.

I wonder if this is his long term replacement.

GreenCastle
13-06-2019, 07:36 AM
To be fair Celtic have sold several players to the EPL and made a fortune so could easily happen here also.

Onceinawhile
13-06-2019, 10:34 AM
Didn't realise he had 15 goals in 31 games last season. That is some going, especially for a team out with the top 6.

jacomo
13-06-2019, 10:51 AM
Mcgregor has been linked with a few clubs down South, Leicester especially.

I wonder if this is his long term replacement.

I think that’s quite possible.

As said above, Celtc were obviously stung by their stupid low balling over Mcginn last summer and have changed strategy.

GloryGlory
13-06-2019, 10:53 AM
Funny how Celtc didn't want to pay for John McGinn, full international regular and double cup winner, but are willing to pay £3M for a player that's had a bright start to his career but is otherwise unproven.

The 90+2
13-06-2019, 10:55 AM
Funny how Celtc didn't want to pay for John McGinn, full international regular and double cup winner, but are willing to pay £3M for a player that's had a bright start to his career but is otherwise unproven.

They did want McGinn and matched Villas bid.

green day
13-06-2019, 10:58 AM

Fingers burnt and got pelters for their SJM handling.

They have loads in the bank, so perhaps have decided not to be idiots again.

He is a good player, dont think its a gamble

Jones28
13-06-2019, 10:58 AM

I think the McGinn story has taught them a lesson about not going in hard with Scottish clubs when a much bigger market exists next door.

I'll be honest and say I didn't know who he was until about march but it's good money for Motherwell.

jacomo
13-06-2019, 11:01 AM
They did want McGinn and matched Villas bid.

Only once they realised Hibs weren’t bluffing!

By that stage, McGinn had already been down to Birmingham and it was far too late.

Power
13-06-2019, 11:02 AM
Disappointed by this.

Seems Celtic might’ve learned from their McGinn errors though.

Stevie Reid
13-06-2019, 11:03 AM
Also he just scored as many goals (16) in 29 SPL starts, as SJM managed in three seasons for us - two of which were in the Championship.

There's obviously so much more to McGinn's game, but midfielders with those kind of scoring ratios tend to go for decent money.

EDIT: just noticed it's 15 goals, Soccerbase has included a Challenge Cup game for Motherwell U20s

Sylar
13-06-2019, 11:09 AM
A player Motherwell could have built a decent team around, but with the money they get for him, they should be able to invest it again. Fair play to Celtc for actually coughing up a decent bit of money for this young lad.

Like others, I just hope he gets a chance to play and flourish similar to McGinn, and doesn't become another Riordan, Killen, Allan, Ciftci etc...Turnbull has the potential to be one of Scotland's best future prospects - but he needs game time and development - something I hope he'll get at Lennoxtown.

The 90+2
13-06-2019, 11:12 AM
Only once they realised Hibs weren’t bluffing!

By that stage, McGinn had already been down to Birmingham and it was far too late.

True. They still wanted him though.

Ozyhibby
13-06-2019, 11:24 AM
I think this is great business by Celtic. He looks like an outstanding talent. Scoring at that rate from midfield in a bottom 6 team at 19 years old is pretty amazing, especially when his all round play is as good as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is It On....
13-06-2019, 03:16 PM
Guess Celtic have learned their lesson about lowballing, as £3 million to another Scottish team for a player with less than 40 games under his belt is quite un-Celtic.

Good player undoubtedly.

I suspect they can't afford to take the risk after last year. Not only is SJM now out of their price and wage range, other English clubs will be thinking what other Scottish players could be worth having a look at after the performance of SJM last season with Villa.

Ringothedog
13-06-2019, 03:53 PM
Celtic had an initial bid of £2m rejected, they obviously decided that they weren’t mucking about this time and decided to pay the going rate.Have they learned from missing out on McGinn? I very much doubt it.

Billy Whizz
13-06-2019, 03:58 PM
Celtic had an initial bid of £2m rejected, they obviously decided that they weren’t mucking about this time and decided to pay the going rate.Have they learned from missing out on McGinn? I very much doubt it.

Think Motherwell are after a few Celtic players on loan

MSK
13-06-2019, 04:04 PM
Think Motherwell are after a few Celtic players on loanBe a decent return for them, asking for Johnston or Morgan on loan, think more chance of the latter

Billy Whizz
13-06-2019, 04:14 PM
Be a decent return for them, asking for Johnston or Morgan on loan, think more chance of the latter

I’d agree, can’t see Morgan making it at Celtic

hfc rd
13-06-2019, 04:40 PM
True. They still wanted him though.

Of course they wanted him but not as much as Aston Villa did. Villa paid the asking price, agreed to the clauses of the contract etc and the deal was finalised with them. From the start Celtic refused to meet our asking price only until McGinn was offski down south for talks with Villa that they decided to match it. I remember some Celtic fans on social media claiming that we were holding back the player from his dream and they would sign him for nout when his contract expired. Even some of them mentioned, he’d be a bench warmer for them 😂

If they really wanted him, they wouldn’t have mucked about by offering derisory amounts and trying to unsettle the player like Sevco did when they tried to sign Allan from us.

Anyway I’m glad McGinn went to Villa and played a huge party in getting them promoted back to the EPL. I’m sure he doesn’t regret it one bit.

04Sauzee
14-06-2019, 04:09 PM
Reports that he has turned down Celtic

Robbo6-2
14-06-2019, 04:17 PM
Celtics offical Twitter is absolute cringe.

Who do they actually think they are.

The 90+2
14-06-2019, 04:19 PM
Of course they wanted him but not as much as Aston Villa did. Villa paid the asking price, agreed to the clauses of the contract etc and the deal was finalised with them. From the start Celtic refused to meet our asking price only until McGinn was offski down south for talks with Villa that they decided to match it. I remember some Celtic fans on social media claiming that we were holding back the player from his dream and they would sign him for nout when his contract expired. Even some of them mentioned, he’d be a bench warmer for them 😂

If they really wanted him, they wouldn’t have mucked about by offering derisory amounts and trying to unsettle the player like Sevco did when they tried to sign Allan from us.

Anyway I’m glad McGinn went to Villa and played a huge party in getting them promoted back to the EPL. I’m sure he doesn’t regret it one bit.

They did really want him, especially their manager who was raging they didn’t get the deal done trying to do what they usually do in Scotland. By the time they realised they had to pay the actual going rate terms where agreed with Villa.

we are hibs
14-06-2019, 04:19 PM
Celtic and Lawwell act like a petulant bairn every time they don't get their own way. Get it up them.

The 90+2
14-06-2019, 04:21 PM
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4367381/celtic-admit-theyve-failed-to-agree-terms-with-david-turnbull-with-motherwell-stars-3million-move-on-brink-of-collapse/

Vault Boy
14-06-2019, 04:23 PM
Well done David! Good to see.

stokesmessiah
14-06-2019, 04:23 PM

OMG just read that wtf.

Vault Boy
14-06-2019, 04:25 PM
OMG just read that wtf.

Absolutely hilarious. You'd think it was from a parody account like.

The 90+2
14-06-2019, 04:27 PM
Absolutely hilarious. You'd think it was from a parody account like.

Celtics twitters a proddy account? Can’t see it being true myself.

Hermit Crab
14-06-2019, 04:27 PM
If he has turned down Celtic then good on him. Aim higher lad. :aok:

weecounty hibby
14-06-2019, 04:34 PM
Would be funny as **** if they lost out on him and he went to England and became a huge success. Far fetched?? I've seen that story. Get it up them.

Billy Whizz
14-06-2019, 04:36 PM
Wonder who is agent is, hopefully not that bell end Houldsworth

The 90+2
14-06-2019, 04:39 PM

No he’s represented by a lawyer company I think. Can’t remember what old player works for them too.

Dylan’s negotiations are from the same mob.

Billy Whizz
14-06-2019, 04:43 PM
No he’s represented by a lawyer company I think. Can’t remember what old player works for them too.

Just saw that, look a respectable agency. They have Andrew Robertson, Stuart Armstrong and Ryan Christie on their books
The problem Celtic have, is a £3m player will want a salary that goes with that sort of price tag, might take him above salaries that Christie as an example gets, and they know what he earns

The 90+2
14-06-2019, 04:45 PM
Just saw that, look a respectable agency. They have Andrew Robertson, Stuart Armstrong and Ryan Christie on their books
The problem Celtic have, is a £3m player will want a salary that goes with that sort of price tag, might take him above salaries that Christie as an example gets, and they know what he earns

I didn’t know about the others but very good point too. Why would turnbull be paid less than the likes of Christie if they value him at £3m? They should pay the going rate for another player in that bracket. They will also know what they value Christie at also.

Onceinawhile
14-06-2019, 04:48 PM
For the second biggest team in Scotland (behind us) they're ridiculously small time.

14-06-2019, 04:52 PM
Would love it if Villa showed an interest.

nonshinyfinish
14-06-2019, 05:29 PM
There goes the theory that they learned a little humility from the SJM saga.

Barney McGrew
14-06-2019, 05:51 PM

Ricky Gillies

Deansy
14-06-2019, 05:59 PM

Hell hath no fury like a big fish in a small pond realising it's nothing more than a sprat in the big pond !

GloryGlory
14-06-2019, 06:27 PM
Would be funny as **** if they lost out on him and he went to England and became a huge success. Far fetched?? I've seen that story. Get it up them.

David U-Turnbull. :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
14-06-2019, 06:46 PM
There goes the theory that they learned a little humility from the SJM saga.

Here we go 2-in-a-row!

neil7908
14-06-2019, 06:48 PM
Absolutely hilarious stuff. Well done to him and his advisors.

neil7908
14-06-2019, 06:48 PM
David U-Turnbull. :greengrin

Excellent.

Ozyhibby
14-06-2019, 07:20 PM
The lad has done well here. Celtic have form for low balling their offers. He is only 19 and plenty of big clubs will be looking at him. I predict Celtic will come back because they risk upsetting their fans after last years McGinn debacle.

sean04
14-06-2019, 07:38 PM
Turnbull to hibs, money talks

HoboHarry
14-06-2019, 07:40 PM
The lad has done well here. Celtic have form for low balling their offers. He is only 19 and plenty of big clubs will be looking at him. I predict Celtic will come back because they risk upsetting their fans after last years McGinn debacle.

Not sure about that - they had agreed a fee with Motherwell and they have already said the offer of personal terms to the player was magnificent. I'm wondering if he has looked at John McGinn and cast his eyes south......

MyJo
14-06-2019, 08:02 PM
Not sure about that - they had agreed a fee with Motherwell and they have already said the offer of personal terms to the player was magnificent. I'm wondering if he has looked at John McGinn and cast his eyes south......

Probably had a look at how McGinn fared compared to Lewis Morgan after their moves last summer.

Ozyhibby
14-06-2019, 08:02 PM

Celtic thought their original offer for McGinn was a good one.

HoboHarry
14-06-2019, 08:25 PM
Celtic thought their original offer for McGinn was a good one.

Not sure what point you are trying to make here? Motherwell accepted the offer from Celtic, it's personal terms they are failing on this time.....

danhibees1875
14-06-2019, 08:32 PM
Not sure what point you are trying to make here? Motherwell accepted the offer from Celtic, it's personal terms they are failing on this time.....

Celtic thought their original offer for McGinn was good enough, it wasn't.

Celtic think their offer to Turnbull is good enough...

Radium
14-06-2019, 09:38 PM
https://twitter.com/leadier88/status/1139619868628652033?s=21

Eyrie
14-06-2019, 09:47 PM
Celtic thought their original offer for McGinn was good enough, it wasn't.

Celtic think their offer to Turnbull is good enough...

That's my take on it too.

And it happened after the press were praising Celtc for having learnt their lesson and making a realistic offer instead of repeatedly wasting Motherwell's time.

The 90+2
14-06-2019, 09:52 PM
That's my take on it too.

And it happened after the press were praising Celtc for having learnt their lesson and making a realistic offer instead of repeatedly wasting Motherwell's time.

That would be the same press trying to destroy Hibs for not giving now Premiership player McGinn his dream move.

The Modfather
14-06-2019, 09:53 PM
Wonder if we’ll now sign him once our trillionaire new owners are on board 😀

The 90+2
14-06-2019, 09:56 PM
Wonder if we’ll now sign him once our trillionaire new owners are on board 😀

Can see it happening. We can then send him on loan to Celtic for a season or two.

14-06-2019, 10:19 PM
Celtic FC - Art of the deal

neil7908
15-06-2019, 07:58 AM
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/contract-david-turnbull-offered-celtic-16520012.amp

Daily Record doing a great job for Celtic here. So what if the deal is £10k per week? End up playing in the EPL in a year or two and that'll be peanuts.

15-06-2019, 09:12 AM
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/contract-david-turnbull-offered-celtic-16520012.amp

Daily Record doing a great job for Celtic here. So what if the deal is £10k per week? End up playing in the EPL in a year or two and that'll be peanuts.

If what is reported there is accurate then Celtic's handling of the situation is fair enough. What I find hilarious is how the details are being made available to the media to appease the Celtic fans so they don't lose the plot over another player snub. When the SJM negotiations were going on it was a lot more hush hush, and the media were in the dark and guessing, which is why different figures were getting quoted everywhere.

Cod Boy
15-06-2019, 09:36 AM
Probably realised he will take Scott Allan’s place sitting in the stand for 2 years.

we are hibs
18-06-2019, 05:47 PM
Celtic have withdrawn their interest 😂

stokesmessiah
18-06-2019, 06:00 PM
Celtic set him up for that.

surreyhibbie
18-06-2019, 08:06 PM
Player got greedy? The club accepted the offer...

Must think he can do better elsewhere.

Billy Whizz
18-06-2019, 08:08 PM
Celtic set him up for that.

He’ll sign for Celtic tomorrow

we are hibs
18-06-2019, 08:16 PM
Player got greedy? The club accepted the offer...

Must think he can do better elsewhere.

Norwich bound apparently. Premier league football. Can't envisage him breaking into their first team at that level. Maybe loaned back out.

weecounty hibby
18-06-2019, 08:37 PM
I work beside his agents brother. He was giving nothing away today but I'll ask again, all he would say was that there are two sides to every story and Lawell was the one driving the stories in the media. They are big big celtic fans so I'm sure that while acting in his clients best interests he would have preferred him to sign on at celtic

Moulin Yarns
18-06-2019, 08:56 PM
Norwich bound apparently. Premier league football. Can't envisage him breaking into their first team at that level. Maybe loaned back out.

£3.25million

Vault Boy
18-06-2019, 08:59 PM
Great move for him. 😉

Moulin Yarns
18-06-2019, 09:06 PM
Great move for him. 😉

Replace Steven Naismith. 😉

SMAXXA
18-06-2019, 09:09 PM
People say about the player being greedy but if he’s confident in his own ability and has other interest why should he just accept what terms Celtic are offering. They had the same attitude to mcginn that he wouldn’t get a better move and they were the be all and end all for him and look how that turned out, good on the boy hope he sticks to his guns and gets the move he wants

Hermit Crab
18-06-2019, 09:21 PM
Replace Steven Naismith. 😉

He's signing for Hearts, 1 or 2 year deal. :wink:

04Sauzee
18-06-2019, 09:30 PM

Couldn't see Kenny McLean playing in a championship winning team and about to play Premier league football

Here’s Lucy!
18-06-2019, 09:32 PM
He's signing for Hearts, 1 or 2 year deal. :wink:

3 and a half or 4 year deal actually.

2nd of July.

Hermit Crab
18-06-2019, 09:36 PM
3 and a half or 4 year deal actually.

2nd of July.

A 3 or 4 year deal on a decent wage at 32 years old. Seems legit. :hmmm:

Here’s Lucy!
18-06-2019, 09:40 PM

We can speak about ‘legit’ on July 3, if you so wish?

SMAXXA
18-06-2019, 09:41 PM
People say about the player being greedy but if he’s confident in his own ability and has other interest why should he just accept what terms Celtic are offering. They had the same attitude to mcginn that he wouldn’t get a better move and they were the be all and end all for him and look how that turned out, good on the boy hope he sticks to his guns and gets the move he wants

Hermit Crab
18-06-2019, 09:41 PM

Aye no bother Mr Levein. :aok:

CapitalGreen
18-06-2019, 09:51 PM

Weird thing to get defensive about.

HFC93
18-06-2019, 10:01 PM
I wouldn't believe anything printed about Turnbull in the Weegie tabloids. Good luck to the lad.

CraigHibee
18-06-2019, 10:07 PM
I wouldn't believe anything printed in the Weegie tabloids

sorted that for you :wink:

MagicSwirlingShip
18-06-2019, 10:34 PM
Couldn't see Kenny McLean playing in a championship winning team and about to play Premier league football

Also just signed a new 3 year deal. Good player

jacomo
18-06-2019, 10:58 PM
Celtic have withdrawn their interest 😂

After last summers shambles too, this could be very embarrassing for Celtc and disrupt their preseason.

Peevemor
18-06-2019, 11:12 PM
After last summers shambles too, this could be very embarrassing for Celtc and disrupt their preseason.This is why I'm glad that Hibs have stopped news leaking from ER prematurely. I'd imagine there'll have been deals with players that have fallen through at the last minute and because the full story is never told both sides end up looking bad depending on people's viewpoints.

Tobias Funke
19-06-2019, 05:12 AM

Strong whiff of jobbies from that one, reeks of it.

southsider
19-06-2019, 05:14 AM
Strong whiff of jobbies from that one, reeks of it.

£3.25 bid accepted from Norwich.

Since452
19-06-2019, 05:47 AM
Reality check for Celtic recently. Despite dominating domestically they're being priced out of moves for Motherwell and Hibs players

lyonhibs
19-06-2019, 06:08 AM
Great effort from Turnbull. Leaving the west of Scotland goldfish bowl to actually challenge himself will hopefully boost his career immensely

Fuzzywuzzy
19-06-2019, 06:20 AM
Partridge met with lawell before hand at a little chef

“The temperature inside this apple turnover is over 1,000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten bramley apple will squirt out. Could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down.”

Pretty Boy
19-06-2019, 06:47 AM
You would have thought Celtic would have learned from the McGinn saga.

I wonder if we'll see Lennon pitch an untried youngster into their side for a CL qualifier, refuse to speak to the media and publicly threaten to quit.......

BILLYHIBS
19-06-2019, 06:52 AM

I wonder if we'll see Lennon pitch an untried youngster into their side for a CL qualifier, refuse to speak to the media and publicly threaten to quit.......

That will probably happen about January but Celtic won’t be in the CL by then :greengrin

It looks as though Celtic are trying to buy themselves another treble let’s hope more young players follow Turnbulls example he is to be commended

SquashedFrogg
19-06-2019, 07:13 AM
Great effort from Turnbull. Leaving the west of Scotland goldfish bowl to actually challenge himself will hopefully boost his career immensely

This. Always felt Brown could've/should've played in a bigger league.

worcesterhibby
19-06-2019, 08:13 AM
If he does go to Norwich and succeeds it's great news for Clubs like Hibs. The more successful young players that move from clubs like Hibs and Motherwell down to wealthy clubs in England and actually do well, the more money our players are worth and the less we have to sell them to the Old Firm. It's a double win for us when guys like McGinn and Turnbull turn down Celtic and go south...we get cash to build and Celtic and not strengthened. They will have to spend their £3million elsewhere now and if that's not on a player who has proven he is one of the best in the SPL, then it's more of a risk.

Since452
19-06-2019, 08:25 AM

Only a matter of time before the toys come out the pram. Especially if the huns get off to a flyer. He doesn't deal well with pressure.

Moulin Yarns
19-06-2019, 08:42 AM
£3.25 bid accepted from Norwich.

yesterday's news :greengrin

£3.25million

Hibbyradge
19-06-2019, 09:00 AM
It looks as though Celtic are trying to buy themselves another treble

Isn't that what we're hoping our new mystery billionaire investor will do for us?

BILLYHIBS
19-06-2019, 09:14 AM
Isn't that what we're hoping our new mystery billionaire investor will do for us?

:agree:

Hypocritcal I know but bring it on :greengrin

Neil Lennon will use Celtics money to hide his inadequacies as a Coach but just imagine all that money in Heckys hands?

Hibbyradge
19-06-2019, 09:22 AM

Hypocritcal I know but bring it on :greengrin

Neil Lennon will use Celtics money to hide his inadequacies as a Coach but just imagine all that money in Heckys hands?

Billy, you're slavering. :hilarious

Using the available resources to buy the right players, then deploying them to succeed is what a good coach does, not an inadequate one.

If Klopp hadn't spent millions, Liverpool wouldn't have won the CL. Same goes for Guardiola at MC.

Like you, however, I'd be delighted if The Heck had millions to hide his inadequacy! :greengrin

Here’s Lucy!
19-06-2019, 10:41 AM

Not defensive at all.:aok:

Hermit was being sarcastic about my post by saying ‘legit’ so I returned the favour.

My point was, if he didn’t think my post was factually correct, we can return to it on the 3rd of July and review it.

If I’m wrong with my thoughts on the matter, I will hold my hands up and apologise to him. If however, I am right, I’m sure he will do the same.

jeffers
19-06-2019, 10:59 AM
Billy, you're slavering. :hilarious

Using the available resources to buy the right players, then deploying them to succeed is what a good coach does, not an inadequate one.

If Klopp hadn't spent millions, Liverpool wouldn't have won the CL. Same goes for Guardiola at MC.

Like you, however, I'd be delighted if The Heck had millions to hide his inadequacy! :greengrin

I think you are both correct. If you have the money to buy better players than every other team you don’t need to be any more than a competent coach to win the league in Scotland. The general consensus was that Ronny Deila wasn’t a great coach at Celtic but he still managed to win the league.

Is It On....
19-06-2019, 12:29 PM
Reality check for Celtic recently. Despite dominating domestically they're being priced out of moves for Motherwell and Hibs players

I would think win win for everyone but Celtic. He challenges himself on a bigger stage which should be good for the Scotland side, he gets a better salary, Motherwell should benefit from any future transfer sell on fees.

Sylar
19-06-2019, 12:40 PM
Fabulous outcome - the club weren't in the financial position to stick the fingers up to the mutants (who made a reasonable financial offer in their defense), but the player did it instead. Hats off to whoever his agent is (or whoever advised him to bide his time a little)!

Hopefully he gets the opportunity to shine down there - great for him, great for Scotland and a financially shrewd bit of business from Motherwell.

HoboHarry
19-06-2019, 01:00 PM
I wonder if Celtic will ever learn to stop kicking themselves in the hee haws. Not only did they lose the services of McGinn and now possibly Turnbull, they have done themselves out of a possible selling on transfer fee. Their parsimony is costing them dearly.....

J-C
19-06-2019, 01:04 PM
I wonder if Celtic will ever learn to stop kicking themselves in the hee haws. Not only did they lose the services of McGinn and now possibly Turnbull, they have done themselves out of a possible selling on transfer fee. Their parsimony is costing them dearly.....

Seemingly offered good money to Motherwell and the player, can't blame him for wanting more if it's offered.

WeeRussell
19-06-2019, 10:25 PM

I have no idea whether poster is right or wrong.. but didn’t we just hand lengthy contracts to two of our players the ‘wrong side of 30’?

Not likely on the same wage that Naismith will be demanding right enough.

Deansy
20-06-2019, 12:04 AM
This. Always felt Brown could've/should've played in a bigger league.

My thoughts exactly ! I always thought Brown going to Septic was just to help himself to some of the medals they're given every year, make himself an easy few bob before going down south and really making a name for himself on the world stage. I wonder how he'll reflect on his career when he retires and if he'll honestly believe he made the best of the talent he was given - for me he definitely hasn't - he's wasted it !

MagicSwirlingShip
20-06-2019, 01:39 AM
My thoughts exactly ! I always thought Brown going to Septic was just to help himself to some of the medals they're given every year, make himself an easy few bob before going down south and really making a name for himself on the world stage. I wonder how he'll reflect on his career when he retires and if he'll honestly believe he made the best of the talent he was given - for me he definitely hasn't - he's wasted it !

If he completes 10 in a row he will go down as the most successful Celtic captain ever.

Smartie
20-06-2019, 06:03 AM
It's been done to death on here before, but I can't believe folk think Scott Brown would have been in any way better playing for Burnley or Bournemouth than getting all those caps, winning all those medals, dominating all those Old Firm games and playing in all those Champions League games.

It's a bit sad that we hold even the pish, insignificant (but lucrative) part of English football in such high regard compared to our own league.

He'll be adored by the fans of one of the biggest clubs in this country for the rest of his days.

And that's before we get onto the league cup he won with us.

Allant1981
20-06-2019, 06:35 AM
It's been done to death on here before, but I can't believe folk think Scott Brown would have been in any way better playing for Burnley or Bournemouth than getting all those caps, winning all those medals, dominating all those Old Firm games and playing in all those Champions League games.

It's a bit sad that we hold even the pish, insignificant (but lucrative) part of English football in such high regard compared to our own league.

He'll be adored by the fans of one of the biggest clubs in this country for the rest of his days.

He would still have had all those caps playing for a team like bournemouth(actually think he is better than that) is dominating an old firm game really something that's that much of a big deal, surely holding your own against some of the best players in Europe is more of an achievement l? Medals I'll give you but again really depends on what team he could have went to, Fraser for example is being linked with arsenal, a good chance he will now ossibly start winning medals

brog
20-06-2019, 07:07 AM

He would still have had all those caps playing for a team like bournemouth(actually think he is better than that) is dominating an old firm game really something that's that much of a big deal, surely holding your own against some of the best players in Europe is more of an achievement l? Medals I'll give you but again really depends on what team he could have went to, Fraser for example is being linked with arsenal, a good chance he will now ossibly start winning medals

Or he could have been like Van Dyk or Wanyama & use a less fashionable team as a stepping stone to Liverpool & Spurs & a CL final.

PatHead
20-06-2019, 07:17 AM
Or he could have been like Van Dyk or Wanyama & use a less fashionable team as a stepping stone to Liverpool & Spurs & a CL final.

Or he could be like many young Scots players who get transferred to English clubs early in their career. They then don't make it there and either end up at a lower league English club or back up to Scotland a few years later. Scott Allan and Fraser Fyvie immediately spring to mind.

I don't think you can knock Scott Brown for the career he has had with Celtic. I can also see the argument that he should have gone to the likes of Newcastle or Southampton as a stepping stone but to be captain of our largest club, winning medals, playing in Europe etc, is not to be mocked.

Would love more of our players to go abroad like Hendo to improve themselves.

brog
20-06-2019, 07:24 AM
Or he could be like many young Scots players who get transferred to English clubs early in their career. They then don't make it there and either end up at a lower league English club or back up to Scotland a few years later. Scott Allan and Fraser Fyvie immediately spring to mind.

I don't think you can knock Scott Brown for the career he has had with Celtic. I can also see the argument that he should have gone to the likes of Newcastle or Southampton as a stepping stone but to be captain of our largest club, winning medals, playing in Europe etc, is not to be mocked.

Would love more of our players to go abroad like Hendo to improve themselves.
The thing is he could have done both. He left us as a young man, could have had a fine career with Celtc then tried out in England. Now, just like McStay there will always be a debate about his ability. I agree 100% your Hendo comment.

Smartie
20-06-2019, 07:29 AM
The thing is he could have done both. He left us as a young man, could have had a fine career with Celtc then tried out in England. Now, just like McStay there will always be a debate about his ability. I agree 100% your Hendo comment.

He's also had some tragic stuff happen in his personal life (at a point in his career when he might have been tempted to stretch his wings) that made staying closer to home desirable.

PatHead
20-06-2019, 07:32 AM

Was McStay winning things though? I always remember him as an over-rated player in an average Celtic team. Always thought John Collins was the better of the two. He did play for Celtic, English Premiership and in Europe. Who had the better career?

Since452
20-06-2019, 07:51 AM
Was McStay winning things though? I always remember him as an over-rated player in an average Celtic team. Always thought John Collins was the better of the two. He did play for Celtic, English Premiership and in Europe. Who had the better career?

I remember a cup final when i was really young can't remember who Celtic were playing, Dundee United maybe, McStay was brilliant. Gliding past players and spreading passes everywhere. He'd have been a star down south. Was wasted at Celtic.

danhibees1875
20-06-2019, 08:04 AM
I don't think Scott Brown will have any regrets, rightly in my opinion.

SquashedFrogg
20-06-2019, 08:06 AM

Think you're doing him a disservice. He could easily have went down and played for far bigger clubs.

superfurryhibby
20-06-2019, 08:33 AM

McStay was a tremendous footballer, no doubt about it. For the second half of his career Celtic were in serious decline and Rangers were enjoying the flamboyant spending of money they never really had under Murray. Foe much of the early-mid 90’s Celtic were living out of the biscuit tin. McStay could have and probably should have left left them.

Comparison with Scott Brown in terms of trophies are hard to judge. I just read that Michael Lustig is leaving Celtic with 16 trophies. Clearly the current level of competition is a bit weaker than it was in the 80’s when Dundee Utd and Aberdeen offered a challenge.

In terms of footballing ability McStay pisses all over Brown. Different type of players though. The Collins comparison is more valid. What seems telling to me is that Collins couldn’t play with McStay in central mid and couldn’t force his way in ahead of him there. Maybe McStay was less versatile.

Hibbyradge
20-06-2019, 10:20 AM
Think you're doing him a disservice. He could easily have went down and played for far bigger clubs.

Firstly, loads of folk don't want to move away from home regardless of the money or opportunities on offer. Most people on this board could benefit their careers by moving, but the vast majority don't.

Secondly, I'm always surprised at the number of people who don't want the best Scottish players to stay in our league, but are then quick to slag off anyone who says that the EPL is a great league.

Many of those same people take great offence when someone suggests that the standard of football and our league is poor. Well, of course it is if every decent player grabs the first opportunity to get out with both hands.

I'm happy that Liam Henderson is doing well in Italy, but I wish he was playing in the SPFL. The same goes for Andy Robertson, SJM, Scott McTominay and all our best players.

Finally, the success Scott Brown has had with Celtic is incredible. We sniff at the treble treble because Celtic are so much stronger and richer than their opponents in Scotland, but, like Lewis Stevenson at Hibs, Scott Brown has held his place in that side, regardless of their strength in the transfer market.

A few years fighting relegation with Newcastle or Everton would have made him even richer, but it wouldn't have been so rewarding otherwise.

Smartie
20-06-2019, 10:55 AM

I think he could have.

I respect his decision not to and still think he's had a good career in spite of not trying his luck down South.

HoboHarry
20-06-2019, 12:03 PM
I don't think Scott Brown will have any regrets, rightly in my opinion.
Agree completely, some people don't want to move away from home and there's nothing wrong with that.

overdrive
20-06-2019, 12:03 PM
Firstly, loads of folk don't want to move away from home regardless of the money or opportunities on offer. Most people on this board could benefit their careers by moving, but the vast majority don't.

Secondly, I'm always surprised at the number of people who don't want the best Scottish players to stay in our league, but are then quick to slag off anyone who says that the EPL is a great league.

Many of those same people take great offence when someone suggests that the standard of football and our league is poor. Well, of course it is if every decent player grabs the first opportunity to get out with both hands.

I'm happy that Liam Henderson is doing well in Italy, but I wish he was playing in the SPFL. The same goes for Andy Robertson, SJM, Scott McTominay and all our best players.

Finally, the success Scott Brown has had with Celtic is incredible. We sniff at the treble treble because Celtic are so much stronger and richer than their opponents in Scotland, but, like Lewis Stevenson at Hibs, Scott Brown has held his place in that side, regardless of their strength in the transfer market.

A few years fighting relegation with Newcastle or Everton would have made him even richer, but it wouldn't have been so rewarding otherwise.

What’s your point about the likes of Robertson playing in the SPFL? That we would have top class players playing in our league? That might not be the case. Sometimes they need to go to a higher level in order to develop. Robertson is playing at a much higher level now than he was at Dundee Utd, and I mean in terms of play, ability, etc. rather than standard of league. I’m not so sure he would be anywhere near that level had he stayed in Scotland.

Ideally they would go away, come back after a few years having developed and learned and this would drive up the quality of the SPFL. Unfortunately, Scottish clubs are then priced out or they come back too late in their careers.

Hibbyradge
20-06-2019, 01:00 PM
What’s your point about the likes of Robertson playing in the SPFL? That we would have top class players playing in our league? That might not be the case. Sometimes they need to go to a higher level in order to develop. Robertson is playing at a much higher level now than he was at Dundee Utd, and I mean in terms of play, ability, etc. rather than standard of league. I’m not so sure he would be anywhere near that level had he stayed in Scotland.

Ideally they would go away, come back after a few years having developed and learned and this would drive up the quality of the SPFL. Unfortunately, Scottish clubs are then priced out or they come back too late in their careers.

I understand all of that.

I'm just pleased when the occasional player, like Brown, decides to stay, even if it is with Celtic.

Losing our best players all the time is one of the reasons that the league is poor and there's no remedy for that on the way.

Heisenberg
20-06-2019, 09:29 PM
Signing for Celtc after all.

BILLYHIBS
20-06-2019, 09:30 PM

Boo!

we are hibs
20-06-2019, 09:32 PM

Looks like his agent has played a blinder there. Will probably be on more than was originally offered

brog
20-06-2019, 09:39 PM
Looks like his agent has played a blinder there. Will probably be on more than was originally offered

Must have been a more fantasticer offer😀!

3pm
20-06-2019, 09:47 PM
Quite strange.

All non-Celtic fans think be’s a dick for changing his mind and Celtic fans think he’s a dick because they ‘never wanted him anyway’. 😊

Eyrie
20-06-2019, 09:52 PM
The Celtc fans will say he's a magnificent signing with a lot to offer.

SouthMoroccoStu
21-06-2019, 03:57 AM
The Celtc fans will say he's a magnificent signing with a lot to offer.

Now they will yes

Since452
21-06-2019, 05:49 AM
Lennons coat must be on a wobbly peg. Celtic fans were only just saying they were delighted they pulled the plug and Turnbull wasn't good enough for them.

brog
21-06-2019, 06:14 AM
Lennons coat must be on a wobbly peg. Celtic fans were only just saying they were delighted they pulled the plug and Turnbull wasn't good enough for them.

Celtc fans said same about SJM. Benchwarmer at best!! Arrogant & ignorant!

JP1302
21-06-2019, 06:18 AM
Complete cluster**** of a situation

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Heisenberg
21-06-2019, 06:19 AM
Celtc fans said same about SJM. Benchwarmer at best!! Arrogant & ignorant!

That’s how they like to comfort themselves when it comes to SJM. They know fine well he’d have been a regular for them.

Northernhibee
21-06-2019, 08:12 AM
That’s how they like to comfort themselves when it comes to SJM. They know fine well he’d have been a regular for them.

He’d have been the perfect replacement for Scott Brown and he could have built a legacy with them. He’d have been more than just a regular.

jacomo
21-06-2019, 08:28 AM

A wee Lenny meltdown would liven up pre season no end!

Sylar
21-06-2019, 09:15 AM
A chance to go to play in one of the top leagues and some of the best players in the world, or spend a Tuesday night sitting on a bench in Dingwall...

Whoever's advising this laddie has utterly failed him.

The 90+2
21-06-2019, 09:17 AM
A chance to go to play in one of the top leagues and some of the best players in the world, or spend a Tuesday night sitting on a bench in Dingwall...

Back to Motherwell on loan I think will be part of the agreement. Either way it’s better than Norwich under 23s then loaned to Yeovil.

500miles
21-06-2019, 09:18 AM

You don't pay that sort of money for a bench warmer. If celtic are paying that, they're paying for someone who plays every week.

Stevie Reid
21-06-2019, 09:27 AM
How do people know so much about this lad as to make such dire predictions about his future? I knew very little of him throughout the season, I was aware of him but certainly didn't realise that he'd made such a big impact at Well.

Given his scoring prowess it seems like he has every chance of making it at Celtic - as another poster has said, £3M upfront is a big outlay for Celtic these days. They're not paying that just to augment their squad.

Sylar
21-06-2019, 09:28 AM
Back to Motherwell on loan I think will be part of the agreement. Either way it’s better than Norwich under 23s then loaned to Yeovil.

I'd hope Celtc realise the need for the laddie to keep playing to develop. If they approach Turnbull the same way they did Christie, it'll be a win-win for all parties involved. If he's left to rot on their bench, they'll completely ruin him.

You don't pay that sort of money for a bench warmer. If celtic are paying that, they're paying for someone who plays every week.

I absolutely hope you're correct. He has the potential to be a fabulous young player - one of a small cohort of exciting young Scottish prospects, and I hope Celtc give him the chance to flourish.

I just don't see it though - not with Lenny at the helm under the pressure of delivering 10 in a row.

Since452
21-06-2019, 09:35 AM
A wee Lenny meltdown would liven up pre season no end!

It'll come at some point just a matter of when

The Modfather
21-06-2019, 09:37 AM
Turnbull does look a top prospect, whether he fulfills that potential depends on how much game time he gets. You can’t have too many good youngsters coming through but annoying he plays in a position we’re well stocked in and isn’t a centre back, right back or a forward that we desperately need.

MagicSwirlingShip
21-06-2019, 10:04 AM

Unless Mcgregor is off. 4 years at Celtic winning trophies and instilling a proper winners mentality could see him set up for a much bigger club than Norwich.

Also, the lad is going to find it much harder to get a regular game in the EPL than the SPFL. The loan option has been mentioned, he can pick up a Celtic salary whims t back out on loan in Scotland, close to home, still developing as a player regular football. Christie seems to have done well out of his move

JimBHibees
22-06-2019, 08:38 AM
How do people know so much about this lad as to make such dire predictions about his future? I knew very little of him throughout the season, I was aware of him but certainly didn't realise that he'd made such a big impact at Well.

Given his scoring prowess it seems like he has every chance of making it at Celtic - as another poster has said, £3M upfront is a big outlay for Celtic these days. They're not paying that just to augment their squad.

Don't think it would be that up front no doubt a string of payments over 3 years or so.

BoomtownHibees
25-06-2019, 06:41 PM
Deal could be off again. Issue identified in his medical

BILLYHIBS
25-06-2019, 06:45 PM

I have a feeling in my wishbones this Guy destined for Easter Road said last season he looks the real deal 👍🏾

Stevie Reid
25-06-2019, 08:35 PM
Don't think it would be that up front no doubt a string of payments over 3 years or so.

Fair dos Jim, was really meaning guaranteed £3M.

calumhibee1
25-06-2019, 08:55 PM

Rumours on Twitter that he's been taking illegal substances over the summer. Not sure if that would be identified in a medical or not.

That would hugely diminish any transfer value he has going forward if that's the case, and potentially even lead to him being banned?

jacomo
25-06-2019, 08:56 PM

Loads of foreign players in Scotland so I have no problem with Scottish players trying their luck elsewhere.

Like it or not, Andy Robertson is a much better player since he moved to Liverpool. He has admitted that he was intimidated by the quality of the squad when he first joined, but competition and great coaching helped him reach another level.

Here’s Lucy!
25-06-2019, 09:04 PM

Loads of foreign players in Scotland so I have no problem with Scottish players trying their luck elsewhere.

Like it or not, Andy Robertson is a much better player since he moved to Liverpool. He has admitted that he was intimidated by the quality of the squad when he first joined, but competition and great coaching helped him reach another level.

One of the best players, in that position, in the world right now.

Good on him!

Hermit Crab
25-06-2019, 10:56 PM
https://twitter.com/ScotlandSky/status/1143587695635128320

BILLYHIBS
27-06-2019, 11:34 AM
Staying at Motherwell apparently

Hermit Crab
27-06-2019, 11:38 AM
Staying at Motherwell apparently

https://twitter.com/BBCSportsound/status/1144207525723672577

Frazerbob
27-06-2019, 11:42 AM
Haha

Since452
27-06-2019, 11:50 AM
He's pish anyway we move on.
He's brilliant glad we're signing him.
He wouldn't have improved us anyway we move on.

Hate saying it but i really fancy the huns to win the league (boke). Celtic have become a bit scatty since Rodgers left.

HoboHarry
27-06-2019, 12:31 PM
According to the BBC he needs immediate surgery and will be out for an extended period of time. I can only imagine this surgery is required to save his career long term. Rather churlish to be laughing at the deal collapsing given the circumstances.....

Moulin Yarns
27-06-2019, 12:44 PM
According to the BBC he needs immediate surgery and will be out for an extended period of time. I can only imagine this surgery is required to save his career long term. Rather churlish to be laughing at the deal collapsing given the circumstances.....

Knee operation and it could be months.

Stuart93
27-06-2019, 01:08 PM
See Tam McManus must be well ITK again when he tweeted saying it was a minor op and the deal will still 100% go through

we are hibs
27-06-2019, 01:11 PM
See Tam McManus must be well ITK again when he tweeted saying it was a minor op and the deal will still 100% go through

Tam McManus talking *****? Well I never. Wonder what his back track will be this time

Sylar
27-06-2019, 01:14 PM
I'm glad it isn't drugs, as was being rumoured online yesterday.

Feel for the laddie more than anything else - that'll set him back a wee bit. I'm guessing Celtc will probably be glad they have a naural conclusion that allows them to wash their hands a little bit.

Still, a blow to their offseason activities.

Iggy Pope
27-06-2019, 01:34 PM
Motherwell haven’t come out of this well or the player or his agent. Did he only damage his knee last night?

Peevemor
27-06-2019, 01:38 PM
Motherwell haven’t come out of this well or the player or his agent. Did he only damage his knee last night?

Maybe the problem wasn't apparent until the medical/scans?

Since452
27-06-2019, 01:41 PM
Turnbull will get a bigger move than Celtic. I don't think he'll be too concerned about it

HoboHarry
27-06-2019, 01:42 PM
Not really sure I agree with that - the medical resources available to Celtic will be far greater than those available to Motherwell and rightly so, insurance companies need to protect themselves when clubs are paying multiple millions for a player. If you watch the Liverpool videos on what new players have to go through it's really amazing.....

Iggy Pope
27-06-2019, 01:46 PM
Maybe the problem wasn't apparent until the medical/scans?

I considered that but do you think that’s likely in a pro footballer receiving regular physio attention in his chosen career, possibly daily? Needing surgery doesn’t make it sound like a niggle. One medical and his knee needs opening? I smell *****.
PS I’ll bet NL never seen an issue with his bad knee! Pop the ****er back in and get on with it!

MyJo
27-06-2019, 01:46 PM
And this is exactly why Hibs point blank refuse to make comment on transfers until they are 100% complete.

Iggy Pope
27-06-2019, 01:47 PM
Not really sure I agree with that - the medical resources available to Celtic will be far greater than those available to Motherwell and rightly so, insurance companies need to protect themselves when clubs are paying multiple millions for a player. If you watch the Liverpool videos on what new players have to go through it's really amazing.....

Not sure I agree with you either. Motherwell and their medical staff should know their players inside out.

Spike Mandela
27-06-2019, 01:55 PM
No doubt this will be a serious dent in Motherwell’s transfer ambitions this summer.

overdrive
27-06-2019, 04:11 PM
I'm glad it isn't drugs, as was being rumoured online yesterday.

Feel for the laddie more than anything else - that'll set him back a wee bit. I'm guessing Celtc will probably be glad they have a naural conclusion that allows them to wash their hands a little bit.

Still, a blow to their offseason activities.

I’m not saying this is the case here but Garry O’Connor had a “bad injury” at Birmingham City.