PDA

View Full Version : Away days in the 60's - travel

JohnMcM
11-06-2019, 02:33 PM
Worcesterhibby started a thread about Jambo cars. It got me to thinking.

In the 60's before we could all afford to buy and run a car, how did you get about for the nearer away day matches.

Our choice was mostly the match day buses from St Andrew's Square which you had to buy your ticket for the day before the match.

Fond memories of the singing, and drinking (within moderation of course) with frequent singing requests to the driver to "stop the bus we need a "wee-wee".

Many a a driver had the hat passed around for them, very often very profitably for them.

The trips on the old Bluebirds until the more modern buses came along were a simple joy.

Using the train for the further afield matches often gave the chance of being in the same or the next carriage used by the team and staff. Wish I still had all those programmes with all those autographs though.

:flag:

BILLYHIBS
11-06-2019, 02:40 PM
Supporters buses wi the empty cans of Tartan and Skol rattling up and doon the bus bursting oan a pish

The whip roond for Wee Hughie that got lifted post match

The basic Football Special Trains that took you oot to the sticks and left you sitting for ages

Hibees!

MSK
11-06-2019, 02:43 PM
Libby travel bus for years with the mental Dougie Sneddon as convener, crazy days 😲

Keith_M
11-06-2019, 02:59 PM
Don't go back as far as the 60s but I used to love away days on one of the many supporters buses. I've been on the football specials a couple of times but they were cancelled in the late 80s (I think) because of the increase in trouble.

There doesn't seem to be as many buses running as there used to be. People seem to prefer making their own way to games.

HIBERNIAN-0762
11-06-2019, 03:17 PM
Joined Hibs club when it was up Carlton Terrace (I think it was) was on Bernie Glanceys St Giles juveniles bus which left from the Grassmarket. Great memories of going to Shawfield, Cathkin Park etc 😊 that must have been 1963 IIRC.

linlithgowhibbie
11-06-2019, 04:01 PM
First game away was as an 9 year old on the Carlton bus circa 1964/65 to Dunfermline when we won 6-5. Hooked ever since. Was a member the year after and am still a member of the Hibs club after all these years with only a 2 year gap in the 80s

Now assist in running the Linlithgow and Bo'ness branch who have a bus to all home games and some away ones, but getting harder to break even due to many factors!:thumbsup:

heretoday
11-06-2019, 04:03 PM
Going to lovely places like Motherwell and Airdrie in the 70s and returning with the bus windows missing.

Carheenlea
11-06-2019, 04:15 PM
Sandy McNair, in one of his trademark articles told tales of the corporation buses that would run from St Andrews Square to away games. They were named Excursion 1, 2, 3 and so on depending on demand, and Excursion 1 was deemed the premium and most desired bus to be on for extra kudos. Maybe the Uber Fans of the day’s bus of choice!

Kato
11-06-2019, 04:17 PM
Libby travel bus for years with the mental Dougie Sneddon as convener, crazy days 😲

Some of the best laughs I ever had as a Hibs fan on that bus - (just thought - except the crash going to Tannadice, horrendous.)

BILLYHIBS
11-06-2019, 04:26 PM
There was always someone that knew a short cut and the driver ended up getting lost.

Nine times out of ten you had to abandon the bus and leave the driver to park it up and sprint/jog to the ground not Stadium as it was usually a dump :greengrin

Happy days!

Carlton Branch rools ya bass!

MSK
11-06-2019, 04:27 PM
Some of the best laughs I ever had as a Hibs fan on that bus - (just thought - except the crash going to Tannadice, horrendous.)Was a brilliant bus, absolute bonkers at times, yeah I was on the double decker when it tipped over just before Bridge of Earn, remember that day like it was yesterday 😔

Hermit Crab
11-06-2019, 04:32 PM
Theres definitely a niche in the market for football specials, Virgin West Coast run the odd ones for big matches in London involving teams from the North West but thats about it. These were done away with due to trouble as another poster says. Its different these days though, CCTV is everywhere on trains as a deterrent to would be animals.

With all the old rolling stock that is currently being withdrawn a TOC could buy them and use them for specials and because they're so old it wouldn't really matter if the crowd was a bit rowdy. It would keep the fans away from day train services and stop them annoying normal punters.

Kato
11-06-2019, 04:40 PM
Was a brilliant bus, absolute bonkers at times, yeah I was on the double decker when it tipped over just before Bridge of Earn, remember that day like it was yesterday 😔

Still get that wobbly feeling going round Picardy Place roundabout.

MSK
11-06-2019, 04:45 PM
Still get that wobbly feeling going round Picardy Place roundabout.Took me a while to set foot on a double decker after that, I was only 14 or 15 at the time I think, I was downstairs two seats back from the stairs on the side the bus landed, cant begin to imagine how those on the upper deck felt that day. I still remember a lot of guys climbed out of the bus and jumped on passing buses to make the game, thats passion eh ? 🇳🇬😲

iwasthere1972
11-06-2019, 04:57 PM
Early 70's. Pentland Branch travelling from The White Hart in the Grassmarket. Sometimes City Link or train.

Singing stop the bus I need a wee wee, having a wee wee against the bus as travellers sped past trying not to look, getting chased through Aberdeen and Perth just to mention a couple, bus window put in at Ibrox and Tannadice, darts thrown at us at Rugby Park, bottles thrown at us at various grounds and Turnbull's Tornadoes.

Oh yes Happy days indeed.

Kato
11-06-2019, 05:00 PM
Took me a while to set foot on a double decker after that, I was only 14 or 15 at the time I think, I was downstairs two seats back from the stairs on the side the bus landed, cant begin to imagine how those on the upper deck felt that day. I still remember a lot of guys climbed out of the bus and jumped on passing buses to make the game, thats passion eh ? 🇳🇬😲

More buses drove on than stopped.

I was second from the back seat upstairs, the window popped out and I was left on the central reservation with my legs still in the bus and my upper half on the grass, if the bus hadn't hit the middle barrier I'd be dead - as you say very vivid memories. We ended up missing the game and being driven up to the hospital to see pals who were injured - both Sandy McNair and Irv Welsh (sitting upstairs at the front) were pretty messed up.

The only '80's Scottish Cup tie I missed.

BILLYHIBS
11-06-2019, 05:06 PM

I was second from the back seat upstairs, the window popped out and I was left on the central reservation with my legs still in the bus and my upper half on the grass, if the bus hadn't hit the middle barrier I'd be dead - as you say very vivid memories. We ended up missing the game and being driven up to the hospital to see pals who were injured - both Sandy McNair and Irv Welsh (sitting upstairs at the front) were pretty messed up.

Was that the game Dundee United knocked us out at Tannadice

That wee scroat bag Darren Jackson scored?

MSK
11-06-2019, 05:09 PM

The only '80's Scottish Cup tie I missed.Yeah my Brother was at the window downstairs and you are bang on, his window also popped just as it hit the barrier and his backside was on the grass with me lying on top of him, my mate who had been opposite me headbutted me as the bus tipped, I ended up with a black eye. I shut the bus engine off using the shut off button, I was on the bus side at the rear and folk were screaming at me to push the ****ing button !! I was just wanting a way to get down as it was high and I was a bit dazed.

MSK
11-06-2019, 05:10 PM

That wee scroat bag Darren Jackson scored?1-1 I think Billy then replay at ER if I remember correctly

Golden Bear
11-06-2019, 05:18 PM
I was not in an Official Supporters Club but I occasionally travelled on the SMT " Hibernian Supporter Hires" which left from St Andrews Square. Does anyone remember the name of the pub which was situated in close proximity to the bus stands? I was a frequent visitor in these now far off days.

Kato
11-06-2019, 05:23 PM

That wee scroat bag Darren Jackson scored?

Crash was around '80-'81, a draw in Dundee and replay at ER.

BILLYHIBS
11-06-2019, 05:29 PM
Crash was around '80-'81, a draw in Dundee and replay at ER.
Different game was at both
😁👍🏾⚽️🇳🇬🏆

BILLYHIBS
11-06-2019, 05:32 PM
I was not in an Official Supporters Club but I occasionally travelled on the SMT " Hibernian Supporter Hires" which left from St Andrews Square. Does anyone remember the name of the pub which was situated in close proximity to the bus stands? I was a frequent visitor in these now far off days.
Travellers Rest?

Leeries Lamplighter Bar on the corner was a Dundee pub

Tryst 👍🏾

Hibs07p
11-06-2019, 05:40 PM

Travellers Tryst was the one nearest St Andrews Square, and I think The Highwayman nearest St James's centre?

GGTTH
Scottish Cup Winners 2016

green with envy
11-06-2019, 05:45 PM

That was also my supporters bus. Travelled on it from when it started after Dougie & Stu broke away from the Carlton, till it pretty much ended.

green with envy
11-06-2019, 05:50 PM
Was a brilliant bus, absolute bonkers at times, yeah I was on the double decker when it tipped over just before Bridge of Earn, remember that day like it was yesterday 😔

Me too. I'll never forget that day. Hope you're resting well Mark.

Kato
11-06-2019, 05:51 PM
Hope you're resting well Mark.

:agree:

green with envy
11-06-2019, 05:56 PM

Small world, I was actually sitting on the very back seat up stairs.My young brother was sitting beside the lad tha got killed. I was pretty unscathed apart from shock and managed to get a lift to the game for which was a daze. February '82 was when the accident took place.

Golden Bear
11-06-2019, 06:32 PM
Travellers Tryst was the one nearest St Andrews Square, and I think The Highwayman nearest St James's centre?

GGTTH
Scottish Cup Winners 2016

Travellers Tryst , that's the one. 👍

southsider
11-06-2019, 07:47 PM
Early 70's. Pentland Branch travelling from The White Hart in the Grassmarket. Sometimes City Link or train.

Singing stop the bus I need a wee wee, having a wee wee against the bus as travellers sped past trying not to look, getting chased through Aberdeen and Perth just to mention a couple, bus window put in at Ibrox and Tannadice, darts thrown at us at Rugby Park, bottles thrown at us at various grounds and Turnbull's Tornadoes.

We used to stop at a pub called the Cats Eyes on the way back from Glasgow. Was 13 at the time and I used to go for the chips whilst the guys were in the pub. Made enough for a pie supper. Nae sauce tho.

oldbutdim
11-06-2019, 07:58 PM

Vodka and Pomagne cocktails with beer chasers...………… packed bus leaving from the Grass Market, but usually a few empty seats on the way back as the more radge members would be detained by the local plod...………

Happy days sure enough.

Jonnyboy
11-06-2019, 09:07 PM
I travelled on the Hawkhill bus under the guidance of Maud Macfarlane. We loved a sing song but Maud was pretty strict if swearing was involved :greengrin

Every away game she told us to hide our scarves as we neared the ground. That was fair enough but she did the same with our tartan scarves when Scotland were playing Bulgaria at Hampden. Clearly she'd heard that the Bulgarian casuals were waiting on us :faf:

IberianHibernian
11-06-2019, 09:59 PM
Sandy McNair, in one of his trademark articles told tales of the corporation buses that would run from St Andrews Square to away games. They were named Excursion 1, 2, 3 and so on depending on demand, and Excursion 1 was deemed the premium and most desired bus to be on for extra kudos. Maybe the Uber Fans of the day’s bus of choice!Remember these , probably mid / late 70s . Usually 2 or 3 buses ( hence chants like " Excursion 1 they kill for fun " ) but big matches like cup match at Motherwell ( about 8000 Hibbies - anyone remember the massive show of tricolours with We Are Sailing belted out by Hibernian support ? ) ) probably over 20 buses . Buses were cheap and great connection for fans who weren`t based in Edinburgh . Train football specials were great too but was obviously hard to predict demand so I remember some empty trains and some of the trains used seemed to be from age of steam . Particularly bad memories of one which broke down on Tay Bridge after a vist to Dens and took a couple of hours to be repaired (maybe not a special train ) . Would like to see re introduction of football specials for big occasions like cup semis and finals but thinking mainly of non football fans who are entitled to travelling without company of loads of fans .

Forza Fred
11-06-2019, 10:03 PM

The Highwayman.

Forza Fred
11-06-2019, 10:06 PM
Carlton Branch bus under the stewardship of Davie Panton and Eddie Campbell.

Left from Hibsclub and picked up at fit o the walk, and occasionally at Barnton.

Still remember the single fish running down the back window, disposed of via empty new fangled Skol ring pulls, through the roof skylights.

bigwheel
11-06-2019, 10:15 PM
Small world, I was actually sitting on the very back seat up stairs.My young brother was sitting beside the lad tha got killed. I was pretty unscathed apart from shock and managed to get a lift to the game for which was a daze. February '82 was when the accident took place.

Remember the guy (not his name sadly)...very likeable character - wasn't on the bus, was on Central branch, but remember the day...everyone was stunned. Recall chatting to some who turned up at the match

Respect to any of his friends or family looking in..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

.Sean.
11-06-2019, 10:50 PM
Theres definitely a niche in the market for football specials, Virgin West Coast run the odd ones for big matches in London involving teams from the North West but thats about it. These were done away with due to trouble as another poster says. Its different these days though, CCTV is everywhere on trains as a deterrent to would be animals.

With all the old rolling stock that is currently being withdrawn a TOC could buy them and use them for specials and because they're so old it wouldn't really matter if the crowd was a bit rowdy. It would keep the fans away from day train services and stop them annoying normal punters.
That’d be brilliant and 100% something I would use

SON OF PADDY
11-06-2019, 10:57 PM

Could be wrong!
But possibly The Highwayman.

The Harp
12-06-2019, 12:08 AM
Joined Hibs club when it was up Carlton Terrace (I think it was) was on Bernie Glanceys St Giles juveniles bus which left from the Grassmarket. Great memories of going to Shawfield, Cathkin Park etc 😊 that must have been 1963 IIRC.

Joined the club in '63 at 7 Carlton Terrace and travelled on the St Giles, what a branch that was back then. Bernie was a great guy and was like a 2nd dad to us young laddies.

Can remember the last game of 62/63 season when we had to win at Starks Park to stay in the old 1st Division. So many fans turned up in the Grassmarket for the bus that we were sitting 3 to each double seat and that still wasn't enough to get everyone on board, so Bernie borrowed chairs from the pub and set them up in the aisle to accommodate everyone.

We got as far as Haymarket when we were stopped by the police. A young policeman got on board and looked bewildered to see a sea of faces looking up at him. There must have been 80+ on the bus which was meant to sit about 40. Fortunately, after booking the driver, he let us continue our journey to Kirkcaldy, much to the relief of everyone on board. Needless to say, Bernie started up a special collection from the passengers to help pay for the driver's fine.

Bradford
12-06-2019, 09:57 AM
I travelled on the Hawkhill bus under the guidance of Maud Macfarlane. We loved a sing song but Maud was pretty strict if swearing was involved :greengrin

Every away game she told us to hide our scarves as we neared the ground. That was fair enough but she did the same with our tartan scarves when Scotland were playing Bulgaria at Hampden. Clearly she'd heard that the Bulgarian casuals were waiting on us :faf:

I spent a few years on the back seat of the Hawkhill bus in the late 1960s-early 1970s before going to London. You are spot on about Maud but she (and Mrs Currie) were fine people. Before that we used to travel by Eastern Scottish excursion bus, train to Aberdeen and on the Tynecastle Branch bus where Frank Dougan (amongst other c
haracters) was a member.

Fanforlife
12-06-2019, 10:46 AM
Carlton Branch bus under the stewardship of Davie Panton and Eddie Campbell.

Left from Hibsclub and picked up at fit o the walk, and occasionally at Barnton.

Still remember the single fish running down the back window, disposed of via empty new fangled Skol ring pulls, through the roof skylights.Davie (Puffin)Panton still goes to the games.He is back staying in the Inch and can be found any Saturday drinking in the Globe or other Niddry Street establishments😂😂

MM19
12-06-2019, 12:40 PM
I used to go with the excursions from St Andrews Square then joined the St Giles branch. It was a great bus to travel with.

Me and my husband were on the bus that crashed going to Tannadice. We just had cuts and bruises and ended up on the St Giles bus that stopped to see if people were ok and took us up. Remember being really shaky at the match especially when Hibs equalised.

green with envy
12-06-2019, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE=bigwheel;5810402]Remember the guy (not his name sadly)...very likeable character - wasn't on the bus, was on Central branch, but remember the day...everyone was stunned. Recall chatting to some who turned up at the match

18 year old Mark McGhee, AKA rude boy (RIP), due to his love of 2-Tone. He was always seen most weeks going to the games wearing his signature pork pie hat along with sta-press, loafers and harrington etc.

bigwheel
12-06-2019, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=bigwheel;5810402]Remember the guy (not his name sadly)...very likeable character - wasn't on the bus, was on Central branch, but remember the day...everyone was stunned. Recall chatting to some who turned up at the match

18 year old Mark McGhee, AKA rude boy (RIP), due to his love of 2-Tone. He was always seen most weeks going to the games wearing his signature pork pie hat along with sta-press, loafers and harrington etc.

Thank you. Yes! Great guy - black Harrington. Sometimes the hat. Fun character. Respect [emoji119]

Waxy
12-06-2019, 03:37 PM

Remember breaking down on the outskirts of Glasgow after ibrox (i think)then having to abandon it and walk back for a train 84/85ish

brog
12-06-2019, 04:22 PM
Davie (Puffin)Panton still goes to the games.He is back staying in the Inch and can be found any Saturday drinking in the Globe or other Niddry Street establishments😂😂

That's good to hear. Think it was a friendly at Coventry, we left overnight from the Hibs Club in the bus, 1st pit stop for drink was The Jolly Farmer at Liberton! IIRC Davie was dressed up in a 3 piece suit, fell off the step of the bus & landed in a ditch beside the pub! Lovely thread this.

BILLYHIBS
12-06-2019, 04:25 PM
That's good to hear. Think it was a friendly at Coventry, we left overnight from the Hibs Club in the bus, 1st pit stop for drink was The Jolly Farmer at Liberton! IIRC Davie was dressed up in a 3 piece suit, fell off the step of the bus & landed in a ditch beside the pub! Lovely thread this.

Aye,that sounds like Puffin! :greengrin

Earlydelivery
12-06-2019, 04:37 PM
Remember the excursions well .. went on one to the Dundee replay 73/74 got gubbed 3-0 ... that for me was the biggest hibs traveling support I’ve ever seen outwith a cup final !! 33k at that replay

MSK
12-06-2019, 04:47 PM
Remember breaking down on the outskirts of Glasgow after ibrox (i think)then having to abandon it and walk back for a train 84/85ishI remember going through, possibly Maryhill and driving past a wee park, wee laddies giving us the two fingers and the middle finger salute, of which we returned in kindness, all of a sudden Dougie shouted duck !! As the wee *******s started lobbing stones etc, think we lost a couple of windows that day 😆

southsider
12-06-2019, 08:23 PM
When we went to Aberdeen the buses used to leave at midnight. Was in a bar with a live band when a huge fight broke out and a few boys, me included got lifted. Taken to the local nick. I asked to phone my lawyer. After he stoped laughing (who the **** dae ye want Petrochelli a tv programme of the time) . Naw Mr Walter Sutherland QC who will be in the East Nuek bar. Walter used tar drink in the Vic on Causewayside wi my granny. Anyway the bold Walter turns up at the jail immaculately dressed in a Harris Tweed suit and deerstalker hat. But wi green & white balloons attached. Just when he was going to his big speach the Sargent says U come for that laddie ( I was 18). Yes sir Just take him. In fact just take the ****im lot of them. Thanks to Walter we all got off. Some man.Carried a walking cane with a big silver head.

eastterrace
12-06-2019, 09:06 PM
Remember the excursions well .. went on one to the Dundee replay 73/74 got gubbed 3-0 ... that for me was the biggest hibs traveling support I’ve ever seen outwith a cup final !! 33k at that replay yes I was at the replay after a 3-3 draw at Easter road. Imagine getting 33 thousand for a Wednesday night replay now. Jockey Scott was unplayable that night he run us ragged.

BILLYHIBS
13-06-2019, 02:44 AM
I remember one of our pick up points was North Junction Street.
This guy asked us what all the fuss was?
We explained we were off to watch the Hibees and were picking up supporters
He asked if there was any seats left?
We said aye and he jumped oan
He had told his Mrs he was popping out for a paper and some rolls
This was in the days before mobile phones.
I think his name was Billy Singh
This sort of thing used to happen all the time
Brilliant!

Forza Fred
13-06-2019, 02:58 AM

Was on that bus and remember two things, but not stopping at the Jolly Farmer...

One having drunk to excess that Friday night up Royal Terrace was violently sick on the bus BEFORE it left the Hibs Club.

The second was coming home when the driver (who may have had a couple) took a wrong turning and we nearly ended going the wrong way on the motorway!
Resulting in a a kefuffle about this on the bus at the time....

Forza Fred
13-06-2019, 03:01 AM
Davie (Puffin)Panton still goes to the games.He is back staying in the Inch and can be found any Saturday drinking in the Globe or other Niddry Street establishments😂😂

I actually spoke with the puffin several months ago...I phoned my brother and he had bumped into Mr Panton and they were in a hostelry together at the time.....

Fanforlife
13-06-2019, 11:18 AM
I actually spoke with the puffin several months ago...I phoned my brother and he had bumped into Mr Panton and they were in a hostelry together at the time.....😁👍

Wembley67
13-06-2019, 11:31 AM
What's the story with the bus that crashed?

MSK
13-06-2019, 11:51 AM
What's the story with the bus that crashed?Libby travel double decker travelling to Tannadice for a Scottish cup game, bus was heading towards Bridge of Earn and as the bus took the big swinging bend it was buffeted by winds coming off the hills, the bus rocked a bit then all of a sudden we were slammed again and the driver struggled to keep us on the road.

Within a few seconds we were bouncing off both axels then we went over onto our right side, absolutely terrifying. Bus slid down the road a bit then came to rest at the central reservation.

Wembley67
13-06-2019, 11:59 AM
Libby travel double decker travelling to Tannadice for a Scottish cup game, bus was heading towards Bridge of Earn and as the bus took the big swinging bend it was buffeted by winds coming off the hills, the bus rocked a bit then all of a sudden we were slammed again and the driver struggled to keep us on the road.

Within a few seconds we were bouncing off both axels then we went over onto our right side, absolutely terrifying. Bus slid down the road a bit then came to rest at the central reservation.

Crikey, that must have been petrifying.

MSK
13-06-2019, 12:33 PM
Crikey, that must have been petrifying.Especially as kids, and there quite a few on the bus that particular day, I have travelled that same road and cornered the very same bend many times since in the beer lorry and it used to give me the shivers each time I passed that spot where we went over, I keep thinking of that poor fellow hibbie who lost his life 🇳🇬

If I recall correctly, not long after our crash a mini bus carrying hearts fans crashed at the same bit, I think the mini bus went down the ditch to the left of the road, I think there was a fatality on that bus too. I knew a hearts fan from Bingham (where we lived too) who was seriously injured.

green with envy
13-06-2019, 01:30 PM
Especially as kids, and there quite a few on the bus that particular day, I have travelled that same road and cornered the very same bend many times since in the beer lorry and it used to give me the shivers each time I passed that spot where we went over, I keep thinking of that poor fellow hibbie who lost his life 🇳🇬

If I recall correctly, not long after our crash a mini bus carrying hearts fans crashed at the same bit, I think the mini bus went down the ditch to the left of the road, I think there was a fatality on that bus too. I knew a hearts fan from Bingham (where we lived too) who was seriously injured.

Correct.

Smartie
13-06-2019, 01:33 PM
Did a bus full of Hibs fans ever crash at that bend on the way to a game at Pittodrie?

My mate used to talk of this, I'm sure he said a couple of people died.

Not sure if I'm getting a few stories mixed up but I'm sure this might have been the first Hibs game he went to, and his Dad was the linesman. Would probably have been mid to late seventies.

Billy Whizz
13-06-2019, 03:36 PM
Did a bus full of Hibs fans ever crash at that bend on the way to a game at Pittodrie?

Not sure if I'm getting a few stories mixed up but I'm sure this might have been the first Hibs game he went to, and his Dad was the linesman. Would probably have been mid to late seventies.

A Hearts supporter, a colleague of mine at the time, was killed going to Aberdeen around 1980 or so
Lovely guy called Brian Thomas

MSK
13-06-2019, 03:47 PM

Not sure if I'm getting a few stories mixed up but I'm sure this might have been the first Hibs game he went to, and his Dad was the linesman. Would probably have been mid to late seventies.Unsure of that Smartie, even back when our bus tipped over I don't remember much media coverage, obviously nowadays it would be everywhere. I have a small, less than one paragraph sized cutting from the Sunday Post from the time, sent to me by someone on here.

Our crash was also mentioned in Jonnyboys book (At Easter Road they Play) but I certainly don't recall having read about another crash, although I could have missed it.

Mick O'Rourke
13-06-2019, 06:04 PM

Coventry ?
Cant remember how i got there.
.Probably jumped a train to Birmingham, then on to Coventry.
But do recall it was a hot day and a 1-1 draw.. and i think JO'R scored for us.

Do remember meeting Gordon McCabe and the Niddrie Brigade and came home on their packed mini bus ............after a few swallies, at a Polish ex-servicemens, club, i think .
So long ago.

Mick O'Rourke
13-06-2019, 06:09 PM
Could be wrong!
But possibly The Highwayman.

The Clyde Bar ? It was on Clyde Street across from old bus stances and along from ticket office

HIBERNIAN-0762
13-06-2019, 06:10 PM
Does anyone remember Michael Gilhooly from St Giles in the 60s? Always wondered what became of him, long time ago now of course, 63/4

Liam978
13-06-2019, 06:16 PM
Does anyone remember Michael Gilhooly from St Giles in the 60s? Always wondered what became of him, long time ago now of course, 63/4

Mick is still a regular at ER. Famous Five stand with Pete Clark, Davy Summers and Benny Small.

HIBERNIAN-0762
13-06-2019, 06:17 PM
Mick is still a regular at ER. Famous Five stand with Pete Clark, Davy Summers and Benny Small.

Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

Mick O'Rourke
13-06-2019, 06:21 PM

That was a great bus.
Great characters too back then.
Us wee yins looking up to them.
People like Alan Lugton and John Smith (Smiggy)
What a character he was, the bold Smiggy ! !

Bernie,his sons and his brother Marky ,of course and assorted Grassmarket/West Port originals.
Many who had moved "out of town",but still came back tae The Market and the St Giles bus.

Right youse !!
Nae rebel songs at the back !!!
Or we winnae stoap fur chips at Blackburn !!
Aye right... they auld yins couldnae get tae the boozer quick enough in Blackburn:wink:

Ray_
13-06-2019, 06:59 PM

I was a regular in the latter part of the sixties, when I used to sit beside another kid, who's dad supported Clacknacudden and when I started work in as a 15yo in April 71, it was only the midweek games I'd go by bus as I worked Saturday mornings leaving me with trains being my only option for the away games.

I particularly remember the trip to Anfield just before Xmas 1970, we arrived in Liverpool early afternoon and while the adults went for a pint, I was off downtown to the shops, but heading to the supporters club after the game was amazing as were the Liverpool [and Hibs] fans that night and we played really well despite the 2-0 defeat. Great memories and some not so good, breaking down in Glasgow heading to Clyde and running the rest of the way to the ground [3-4 miles], only to get beat 1-0! At least a replacement bus was there for us at the end of the game.

Fanforlife
13-06-2019, 07:00 PM
Coventry ?

Do remember meeting Gordon McCabe and the Niddrie Brigade and came home on their packed mini bus ............after a few swallies, at a Polish ex-servicemens, club, i think .
So long ago.I sit beside Gordon in the East Stand m8,still Hibs daft.

Fanforlife
13-06-2019, 07:02 PM
Coventry ?

So long ago.I sit beside Gordon in the East Stand m8, he is still Hibs daft😁

Jonnyboy
13-06-2019, 09:11 PM
I was a regular in the latter part of the sixties, when I used to sit beside another kid, who's dad supported Clacknacudden and when I started work in as a 15yo in April 71, it was only the midweek games I'd go by bus as I worked Saturday mornings leaving me with trains being my only option for the away games.

I particularly remember the trip to Anfield just before Xmas 1970, we arrived in Liverpool early afternoon and while the adults went for a pint, I was off downtown to the shops, but heading to the supporters club after the game was amazing as were the Liverpool [and Hibs] fans that night and we played really well despite the 2-0 defeat. Great memories and some not so good, breaking down in Glasgow heading to Clyde and running the rest of the way to the ground [3-4 miles], only to get beat 1-0! At least a replacement bus was there for us at the end of the game.

Indeed. We met Arthur Duncan before the game and he asked where in the ground we were going. We said the Kop as we wanted to sample the atmosphere. Arthur was not having that and gave us comps for the main stand :greengrin

Forza Fred
14-06-2019, 12:53 AM
Coventry ?

So long ago.

Think it was Eric Stevenson...Neil Martin got their equaliser.

BILLYHIBS
14-06-2019, 04:15 AM
[QUOTE=Mick O'Rourke;5811540]That was a great bus.

Bernie,his sons and his brother Marky ,of course and assorted Grassmarket/West Port originals.
Many who had moved "out of town",but still came back tae The Market and the St Giles bus.

Right youse !!
Aye right... they auld yins couldnae get tae the boozer quick enough in Blackburn:wink:[/QUOTE

Remember being told tae pipe doon wi the rebel songs

Changed days indeed!

Only for the better imho

HIBERNIAN-0762
14-06-2019, 07:27 AM
That was a great bus.

Right youse !!
Aye right... they auld yins couldnae get t
ae the boozer quick enough in Blackburn:wink:

I have a feeling I know you Mick, I remember that vividly 😊

Mick O'Rourke
14-06-2019, 08:02 AM
I have a feeling I know you Mick, I remember that vividly ��
I left a few great Hibernians names out that traveled on the St Giles when i was a youngster.
Many who were in the branch for decades.
I kinda drifted away after schoolboy/juvenile times on the bus and traveled more with others.
Tynecastle Branch for a while. Good crowd on that bus then
Bus or train(possibly with no ticket!) or supercar to away games it was for me then.

Mick O'Rourke
14-06-2019, 08:10 AM
I sit beside Gordon in the East Stand m8,still Hibs daft.

We go back a long time.
Sixties/Seventies away day adventures!
You don't want to know;-)
Ma grandson sees Gordon and Brendan now and again in the Horse
Sundays, i think he goes there.
I need to pop down some weekend.

Give him my regards.

GGTTH
HGSP

Mick O'Rourke
14-06-2019, 08:14 AM
Think it was Eric Stevenson...Neil Martin got their equaliser.
Hi Fred
Always, for some reason stuck in my mind that James scored in that game.
Faint memory is we were sunbathing on the terracing ! It was a scorcher.

Fanforlife
14-06-2019, 08:32 AM
We go back a long time.
Sixties/Seventies away day adventures!
You don't want to know;-)
Ma grandson sees Gordon and Brendan now and again in the Horse
Sundays, i think he goes there.
I need to pop down some weekend.

Give him my regards.

GGTTH
HGSPCertainly will do m8.Gordon,s not in the Horse a lot since moving to Dalkeith, however I drink with Brendan in there a lot ,will probably know your grandson from there.😁

hibeerealist
14-06-2019, 08:49 AM

Aye, St Giles the best bus for travelling Hibbys!!

A lot on here seem to have traveled with us over the years, many memories (some more vague than others though).

ha ha!!

GGTTH

Vini1875
15-06-2019, 10:18 AM
Remember the guy (not his name sadly)...very likeable character - wasn't on the bus, was on Central branch, but remember the day...everyone was stunned. Recall chatting to some who turned up at the match

He was a good pal of mine. His name was Mark McGhee from Broomhouse. A home and away Hibby. 19 years old. It was February 1982. Wee Mark was a very decent guy and a gentle soul. The whole team were at the funeral.

I was sitting up the back upstairs and went to the game after the crash. It wasn't until I got home after the game and saw a headline in the Pink News that I started to shake. I now know I was in shock and just numbed.

MSK
15-06-2019, 11:41 AM
He was a good pal of mine. His name was Mark McGhee from Broomhouse. A home and away Hibby. 19 years old. It was February 1982. Wee Mark was a very decent guy and a gentle soul. The whole team were at the funeral.

I was sitting up the back upstairs and went to the game after the crash. It wasn't until I got home after the game and saw a headline in the Pink News that I started to shake. I now know I was in shock and just numbed.Newspaper cuttings from that day -

Ray_
15-06-2019, 12:03 PM
Indeed. We met Arthur Duncan before the game and he asked where in the ground we were going. We said the Kop as we wanted to sample the atmosphere. Arthur was not having that and gave us comps for the main stand :greengrin

Lucky person you, I had to pay for my own ticket! :greengrin Met my ultimate hero though, Pat Stanton, who commented that I was young to be all the way down there [glad he wasn't my mum, I'd have never been allowed to go!] Great trip, and Mrs Mac was an absolute legend, strict but as youngsters, even with the bottles flying over our heads, we always felt safe. I went straight to school after arriving back at Easter Road with all the Hibs fans wanting a read of the programme.

green with envy
15-06-2019, 02:01 PM

I was sitting up the back upstairs and went to the game after the crash. It wasn't until I got home after the game and saw a headline in the Pink News that I started to shake. I now know I was in shock and just numbed.

I was actually sitting in the middle of the back seat upstairs when the bus went over. The moment of surreal was when someone shouted to kick in the emergency back widow and jump out and me not grasping that the bus was on it's side and I was not having to jump from the top deck. Mark was also mates with my brother and were both sitting next to each other when the accident happened, even sadder is that they were both sitting down stairs when we left Easter Road but someone had shouted down to them that there was two seats upstairs.

What still irks me to this day is that the 50 club bus stopped to see what was going on and then carried on a mere 2 minutes later without offering any help or a lift to anyone that wasn't badly injured. Thankfully another bus stopped and offered us a lift that didn't need hospital treatment. Like you I went to the game but it was all a blur, I only found out the the true events of that day when I got back to the Hibs club later on that that night.

I was one of a few that was asked to appear at Perth court a few months later for the prosecution. From what I can remember the driver got a fined £100.00 or there about for careless driving.

bigwheel
15-06-2019, 02:03 PM

Thanks for sharing a bit more...remember him from home and away each weeks in those years...he had a buddy who was very tall, Mark was shorter than him...they were always together at games...I recall speaking to his tall mate at Tannadice on the day of the crash...he had made it to the ground but was still in shock really..told us that he thought Mark may have died in the crash. Was all a bit surreal in the days before mobiles and instant communication..

It's nice to remember Mark. He deserves to be spoken about on this site....Didn't know him well, other than to say hello as a regular fellow Hibee, but I liked the individuality of his rude boy style...he always seemed to be smiling and laughing, and his dedication to following our team..

bigwheel
15-06-2019, 02:19 PM
Aye, St Giles the best bus for travelling Hibbys!!

A lot on here seem to have traveled with us over the years, many memories (some more vague than others though).

ha ha!!

GGTTH

I travelled on st Giles in the mid to late 70s as a young 10 + years old kid...was quite an eye opening experience for a young kid to hear the songs and see the escapades...

One of many I recall was stopping at Stonehouse on the way back from (I think) Kilmarnock..can't recall if it was for chips or beers..knowing the crew probably both...anyway the local Rangers supporters club arrived delighted to find a Hibs bus in their town and thought it was their lucky day...as younger kids we were on the bus surrounded by these local Huns...the older guys started to file back and were confronted by about 20ish Huns looking for a scrap...I recall one of the st Giles crew getting there first and knocking the first guy down with a single punch...then like a rugby player bobbed and weaved his way though the stunned rest of them without them laying a single glove on him...the gnarly older st Giles boys followed and swatted the huns away with mere looks....

The Hun who was knocked down spent the rest of the time raging, swaggering outside the bus, calling for the boy to come back off the bus for a square go...the Hibs boy knew that he was one up and, laughing, was quite happy to keep it that way....me, as a circa 10/11 year old thought this was one of the best thing that I'd ever seen [emoji3][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

MSK
15-06-2019, 02:36 PM

Vini1875
15-06-2019, 03:00 PM
Thanks for sharing a bit more...remember him from home and away each weeks in those years...he had a buddy who was very tall, Mark was shorter than him...they were always together at games...I recall speaking to his tall mate at Tannadice on the day of the crash...he had made it to the ground but was still in shock really..told us that he thought Mark may have died in the crash. Was all a bit surreal in the days before mobiles and instant communication..

It's nice to remember Mark. He deserves to be spoken about on this site....Didn't know him well, other than to say hello as a regular fellow Hibee, but I liked the individuality of his rude boy style...he always seemed to be smiling and laughing, and his dedication to following our team..

Tall guy was probably me. 6 foot, skinny, skinhead.

green with envy
15-06-2019, 04:05 PM
Tall guy was probably me. 6 foot, skinny, skinhead.

Did you used to get on at the Gunner?

Vini1875
15-06-2019, 10:52 PM
Did you used to get on at the Gunner?

No we went up to Easter Road, but I did live two minutes down the road from the Gunner in West Granton.

Forza Fred
16-06-2019, 07:27 AM
Hi Fred
Always, for some reason stuck in my mind that James scored in that game.
Faint memory is we were sunbathing on the terracing ! It was a scorcher.

It was indeed, and we got a mention in the Coventry evening paper for ‘making ourselves known’ with the noise we made.

green with envy
16-06-2019, 06:52 PM
No we went up to Easter Road, but I did live two minutes down the road from the Gunner in West Granton.

I was talking in general as opposed to this particular game. I remember someone fitting your description that used to go with Billy Riley from the Pilton area?

BILLYHIBS
16-06-2019, 07:06 PM
This has been a brilliant thread

Back in the day from 1968 I followed HIBS home and away all the way through to the eighties

Many good laughs brilliant away days loads of scary stories a true Band of Brothers with one common interest Hibernian Football Club

As we journeyed through the early seventies my one abiding life long memory is watching the phenomenon that was Turnbulls Tornadoes

How good was that team?

I feel sorry for any Hibby that did not see that great team in much the same way as my Dad used to feel sorry for me because I never saw the Famous Five

Happy Fathers Day guys!

Vini1875
17-06-2019, 01:25 AM
I was talking in general as opposed to this particular game. I remember someone fitting your description that used to go with Billy Riley from the Pilton area?

Aye that's me. Vini from West Granton

green with envy
17-06-2019, 06:59 AM
Aye that's me. Vini from West Granton

Unreal, if it's the same Vini that knows Ian Robertson and Brian etc that used to or still travel on the Glasgow Hibs bus?

Paloschi
17-06-2019, 07:41 AM
Great thread. I am enjoying reading all the stories.

Vini1875
17-06-2019, 11:18 AM
Unreal, if it's the same Vini that knows Ian Robertson and Brian etc that used to or still travel on the Glasgow Hibs bus?

The very same. I've been in Glasgow for about 30 odd years

green with envy
17-06-2019, 01:22 PM
The very same. I've been in Glasgow for about 30 odd years

Ha, Even though I lived a mere 5/10 minutes from you (Royston) from your description earlier on in this thread I do remember you getting on the bus from time to time, I barely knew you back then but I now remember the Doc Martins, Levis & flight jacket etc. However I do know you a lot better nowadays and have done for a good few years but never made the past connection till now.

I'll be sure to put you out your misery to who this is the next time I see you.:wink:

EI255
17-06-2019, 05:00 PM
Supporters buses wi the empty cans of Tartan and Skol rattling up and doon the bus bursting oan a pish

The whip roond for Wee Hughie that got lifted post match

The basic Football Special Trains that took you oot to the sticks and left you sitting for ages

Hibees!Most supporters in Germany still frequently use football special trains. And they can drink on them too.
Its just all wrong over here in Scotland. Sad.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
17-06-2019, 07:11 PM
Most supporters in Germany still frequently use football special trains. And they can drink on them too.
Its just all wrong over here in Scotland. Sad.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

:cheers:

:scarf:

:partyhibb

FilipinoHibs
19-06-2019, 09:09 AM
Worcesterhibby started a thread about Jambo cars. It got me to thinking.

In the 60's before we could all afford to buy and run a car, how did you get about for the nearer away day matches.

Our choice was mostly the match day buses from St Andrew's Square which you had to buy your ticket for the day before the match.

Fond memories of the singing, and drinking (within moderation of course) with frequent singing requests to the driver to "stop the bus we need a "wee-wee".

Many a a driver had the hat passed around for them, very often very profitably for them.

The trips on the old Bluebirds until the more modern buses came along were a simple joy.

Using the train for the further afield matches often gave the chance of being in the same or the next carriage used by the team and staff. Wish I still had all those programmes with all those autographs though.

:flag:

Supporters bus from Hawick or my mates dad's old Austin packed with Hibbies and top speed 45 mph.